Dungeon Master S's "The Extinction Curse"

Game Master Chris Marsh

TACTICAL MAP |STRATEGIC MAPS |GAZETTEER |HANDOUTS |CAMPAIGN RECORDS |NPCs | Circus Acts | CIRCUS OF WAYWARD WONDERS | Running the Show |The Story Thus Far

Default Exploration Mode:

Charlie is Scouting
[dice=Hostiles]d20[/dice]
[dice=Charlie]d20+9+1[/dice] (Scout)
[dice=Chark]d20+13+1[/dice] (Search)
[dice=Dendillion]d20+9+1[/dice] (Detect Magic)
[dice=Haldan]d20+8+1[/dice] (Seek, Keen Eyes)
[dice=Tiny]d20+12+1[/dice] (Search)

*If you do not make a specific post (with referenced skill and modifier) this will be the assumed action and initiative roll.

Perception:

[dice=Chark]d20+13[/dice] (T, LLV)
[dice=Charlie]d20+9[/dice] (T)
[dice=Dendillion]d20+10[/dice] (E)
[dice=Tiny]d20+9[/dice] (T)
[dice=Haldan]d20+8[/dice] (T)

Door Protocol:

The party stops 5ft away from the door. Dendillion moves to the front of the party and checks the door for traps.
[dice=Perception (Expert) to Seek]1d20+8[/dice]
If he finds a trap, he attempts to disarm the trap, warning everyone to move 10ft back.
[dice=Thievery (Trained) to Disable a Device]1d20+8[/dice]
Repeat this if multiple checks are required
Once he's satisfied that the door is safe he checks to see if it's locked. If it is, he puts tools to work to pick the lock (assuming we don't have a key that fits)
[dice=Thievery (Trained) to Pick a Lock]1d20+8[/dice]
Repeat this if multiple checks are required, or until he breaks his picks (will use a Hero point on a crit fail though)
With the door ready to open, Dendillion moves back and lets Tiny open the door.


51 to 100 of 3,581 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

The crowd roars at the climax of Charlie's trick. They eat up the drama of the hunt! The crowd goes absolutely wild. For nailing the Big Number, each hero earns 30 XP, and Charlie earns 1 Hero Point..

The Big Finale:
Left Ring: Haldan - Go
Right Ring: Dwarven Throwers
Center Ring: Feather Fall F---- Now what?!

The Dwarven Throwers take to the ring with tumbles and leaps to massive applause!
Athletics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 and they crush it!

Meanwhile, as Haldan sets up his own trick, the ring is being prepared for the Kanbali family, the group of acrobatic performers collectively known as the Feather-Fall Five. "Our nets have been sabotaged!" The entire family comes to you. "What do we do?!"

Perception or Nature DC 13:

You can see that they weren't cut via sabotage, but rather they were chewed through. Strange, but not unheard of behavior for rats.

The family doesn't want to go on. They want to cancel their trick and there isn't time for a replacement. Also, performing without a net is dangerous.... but a crowd LOVES danger...

Current totals:
Completed Stage(s): Opener, Build Up, The Big Number, Finale 1 of 3
Anticipation: 10
Excitement: 7


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Dangerous? Chark looks at the Five, incredulous. It is only dangerous if you fall. I've watched you since joining the Wayward Wanderers and you've not needed the nets ever. I mean ever. What makes you think you're going to need them now?

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 BOOOM


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

"Well, okay. We don't want to make a habit out of it though..." Chark's words turn into confidence for the family, though it takes them a moment to get pumped up." Will give time for the other check and for Haldan to do his.


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

After “disappearing backstage for one last visit to the bucket he’s been visiting.

”Hello everyone and let’s give a big round of applause to Dendillion, our most amazing host for this evening!”
He gestures to where Dendillion was with a flourish and pauses for applause.
”Fantastic job so far, and what a show it has been so far. And now to begin the finale. For this trick tonight, we will be attempting to summon the Rabbit Prince off of this card.”
Haldan pauses to show the card to the crowd. Then removes his hat.
“To you, the hat seems empty, correct?” Shows the inside of the hat to everyone and hands it to the closest kid in the crowd. ”Do you see anything, child?” While the attention is on the child he prepares mentally to cast prestidigitation. ”It seems cluttered to me though. Let’s see if there’s something that can be done about this. With a wave of my hand and say the magic word... YES! This should clear out some of the clutter getting in the way.” Haldan pulls a stuffed animal of the Rabbit Prince out of the hat and gives it to the child. ”No, this is not the real Rabbit Prince, but let’s see if we can convince him to come out of hiding.” Haldan then produces a carrot from his jacket and hands it to the next nearest child. ”Young one, please hold out the carrot, wave it around to the crowd and say the magic words: Suffering Succotash” And, as the attention is now on this new child, slips Hermann into the hat from his coat. ”You clearly have magic in you as here is the Rabbit Prince!!!”

Pause for effect/applause.

”Isn’t he majestic?” While the attention is on Hermann and Hermann hams it up for the crowd, Haldan casts all but the last verbal component of Pest Form. ”But, he seems lonely. And what would the Rabbit Princess?!”

Haldan finishes this with putting on the hat as saying the final verbal component making it appear that he vanishes into his own hat. When, in reality, he’s only just turned into a rabbit. He tosses the hat off himself and seductively gets the attention of Hermann. Hermann, visibly uncomfortable with the flirtation and new part of the trick begins to back up off stage. A now strutting rabbit Haldan follows him off stage.

Thievery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Male Poppet Familiar (HP 25/25), AC 20, Perception +9, Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10 Speed 25| Active conditions —

”That last bit demeans us both, you tosser. We need a rabbit resources department in this circus.”


MAP TEMPLATES | Social Combat | War for the Crown | Campaign Tracker |

Haldan also nails his trick! Haldan earns 30 XP for the party and 1 Hero Point for himself!

Nervous, but excited after Chark's words, the Feather-Fall Five take to the high wire. Right after Haldan's applause finally die down  The crowd goes silent albeit murmurs of the danger roil through the crowd.

The drum rolls...

 Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 and they nail it!  The crowd goes ballistic! Performing the trick without nets this time results in a BONUS of 2 extra excitement!

The cheers continue after the finale.  When all is said and done, the show could not have gone better.

Final Anticipation: 10
Final Excitement: 11 
For the successful show you each earn 80 XP and 1 Hero Point.  The circus gains 2 Prestige, and earns a total of 11 Gp after payouts.*

----------------------------------

When the show is over the Professor walks over to you, "There're a lot of questions that need answering, but you've done right by our late leader.  Here.  Take this, I insist.  It's an outsized portion."  He hands you each 5 gold coins.  "You did such an amazing job, that I also insist you take these from my stores."  He also hands you 2 minor healing potions.

*:
This circus is slightly different than normal.  There was no build up, no upgrading, no roles for non-performers alike.  No one used Send In The Clowns or Costar.  I think it was a good introduction though.  Future shows will have all the parts.  Additionally, we'll need to make sure the tracker works correctly.


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

As the applause dies down, Chark rushes over to the late Thunder, gingerly checking here and there to determine what happened. Poor Thunder, certainly looked like whatever happened hurt him. Maybe he had a heart attack?

Using the 19 rolled previously for the Medicine check.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Not waiting any longer Chark rushes back to the body. A close evaluation of the dead ringmaster reveals that his legs are so swollen that his pant legs can’t be rolled up; his trousers must be cut off or cut open. Doing so reveals many snake bites on both his calves. Chark is confident that the snake venom caused his death. Unfortunately Chark can't identify the kind of snake.

Nature DC 13:

Yes it's possible the snakes in the stands did this, but an attack like this? Not natural, the vipers must have been controlled or coerced somehow.

The area immediately around Myron’s body bears strange tracks.

Perception DC 17 or Survival DC 15:

These are the tiny prints of countless rats. These numerous rat tracks hide any other footprints that might have been here, including Myron’s own. The rats seem to be long gone.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 24 | Fort +11, Refl +15, Will +12 | Perc +12 | Speed 25
♥️ 78/78 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3), 4th (2/2)

Dendillion does his best to wrap up the show. He's fairly mobbed for a bit, but extricates himself politely and follows Chark.

When Chark reveals the snake bites, the bard gasps. "How horrible! I wonder..."
Nature (Untrained): 1d20 ⇒ 11
"... is this from the snakes that were in the crowd?"

He places a hand to close Myron's eyes. It gives him a moment to study the body.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
"I can't see anything that gives us a clue here. This is terrible!"


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Strange. A whole lot of rat prints here. They've obscured anything else.


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Per Slack:
Nature (untrained): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 I will pay for these rolls later, I'm sure. LOL

Maybe, Chark says, but that's not how they naturally operate. Looks like coercion.

Chark stands. This appears to have been a murder made to seem like an accident! </Nancy Drew>


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

"A M..mm..mm..murder?" Charlie gasps as he holds Goliath back away from the body. "But why rats and snakes?" Charlie looks around for the tracks to see if he can follow them.

Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

The professor shakes his head, "The Circus of Wayward Wonders includes many performers, along with numerous roustabouts, hangers-on, and family members. We're not going anywhere for a few days. Feel free to explore the Circus Grounds."

The circus also includes several animals, from Elizia’s snakes to assorted camels, bears, and even elephants. Some of these animals are kept in or near their owners’ wagons, but others follow along with the wagons and must be corralled when the big top is up. The circus camp consists of two dozen mismatched wagons parked on a grassy field broken by a meandering stream. A large, communal fire burns near a deep pond formed by the stream. Even though the circus performance was successful, the mood in the camp is subdued. The performers huddle together by the fire, nervously watching the camp and jumping at shadows. Feel free to move about the area, just tell me where and what you're doing.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 24 | Fort +11, Refl +15, Will +12 | Perc +12 | Speed 25
♥️ 78/78 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3), 4th (2/2)

"Given that I saw the snakes, I think I'm going to talk to an expert. Perhaps Elizia can shed some light on this. I'd hope they weren't hers, but maybe they were set free," Dendillion heads off to see the woman, not necessarily waiting to see if others join but hopeful that he's not going near Mr. Tickles alone.


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Tiny furrows his brow "Those snakes in the crowd can't have been a coincidence, and will all those other problems maybe somebody has it out for us..."

Tiny's thoughts move to his own mind after that as he nods half absentmindedly to Dendilion's suggestion and joins him.


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Chark nods, willing to join Dendillion as he bravely tries to face his ophidiophobia.

Elizia seems a prudent starting point. Come along, Haldan. You too, Tiny and Charlie, she says, never referring to the latter with his appellation, as she finds it unnecessarily cruel.

She falls into step behind the field-promoted ringleader.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

The group heads to Elizia's wagon. You can hear before you can see her. There's clear and obvious crying coming from the trailer. Elizia lets you in. "I... I heard it was snakes, but I use constrictors, and they're all accounted for. Oh Myron... I can't believe he's gone!"

Perception or Survival DC 17:

You see the rat tracks throughout the camp. You think you might be able to deduce where they either came from, or where they were heading...


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Tiny keeps looking to the ground as they walk, suddenly snapping out of his own thoughts "Hey Charlie, what was that you said about rats? I keep seeing their footprints, like right over here."

Tiny points down at a batch of somewhat distinctive rats.


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

”I’m coming, but I want to make one thing clear. I do not believe for a second that this was Eliza. She is pure of heart.” Haldan says catching up to the group.


CG Male Poppet Familiar (HP 25/25), AC 20, Perception +9, Fort +10, Ref +12, Will +10 Speed 25| Active conditions —

”Geez. I’d say get a room but, to my knowledge, she hasn’t given you the time o’ day.” Hermann says this directly to Haldan but, like everything else he’s said so far, doesn’t seem to phase Haldan in the slightest.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Immediately visible rat prints are given in blue line segments and arrows on the map. The arrows show where the tracks go off elsewhere.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 24 | Fort +11, Refl +15, Will +12 | Perc +12 | Speed 25
♥️ 78/78 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3), 4th (2/2)

"Oh, I know dear. I know," Dendillion says, then gives Elizia a surprise hug, allowing her a shoulder to cry on. He then separates and asks, "Do you know what type of snake it is? If I describe it to you? I'm trying to figure out if it's native to here or not."

The bard then describes what he saw, hopefully affording the others time to examine the rat tracks Tiny sees.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

"Those sound like vipers to me. They're native to the isle, but that's not how they normally act."


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Charlie watches as Goliath sniffs around the tracks all over the camp. "There were rat tracks all around the area where T...t...thunder was found. They look to lead off into the ww...w..wwoods." Charlie points into the treeline. "We can ch..ch..check it out before the trail gets cold."


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Tiny looks up at Charlie's idea "That's brilliant... I guess it is up to us to follow up."


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

”It’s possible they could have been summoned creatures. Which would mean a mage. Or, alternatively, this could have been sabotage from a rival circus. Yes, yes, that’s definitely a possibility. Or, and stay with me on this, The 52 could be challenging me by trying to add some distractions to my act. That’s exactly their style. I think I passed their test though. So many possibilities...”

Haldan is talking out loud to himself pacing back and forth nearby, hands behind his back and obviously stressed. Hermann is pacing behind him, mimicking him exactly and shoots a wink and anyone who looks his way.


MAP TEMPLATES | Social Combat | War for the Crown | Campaign Tracker |

The party heads over to the trees, but the tracks quickly become too hard to follow. Just as you're about to give up this lead, you spot movement among the base of the nearest trunk. It's a snake! At roughly two feet long it looks like the snake from the show!

Hostiles: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Charlie: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 1 = 9 (Scout)
Chark: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 1 = 18 (Seek)
Dendillion: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 1 = 24 (Avoid Notice)
Haldon: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 4 + 1 = 12 (Detect Magic)
Tiny: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 1 = 9 (Seek)


MAP TEMPLATES | Social Combat | War for the Crown | Campaign Tracker |

As the party moves to act Dendillion spots another snake! This one is no mere viper, it's nearly the size of a man! Red viper is medium, black is tiny.

Round 1:
Dendillion: Go
Chark: go
Haldon: Go

Sneks: TBD
Tiny: TBD
Charlie: TBD


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

You're telling me that's the one that showed up in the tent? Not a coincidence, I'm certain of it.

Chark moves forward; as she does, a ball of yellow-white flame forms in her palm, which she proceeds to throw at the smaller snake.

ranged vs. Black: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
fire: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Chark's flame strikes the viper. Instantly most of its flesh burns as the snake twitches violently. Any normal snake would slither off, but this one seems intent on fighting on!

Round 1:
Dendillion: Go
Chark: Arthur Brown
Haldon: Go
Sneks: TBD
Tiny: TBD
Charlie: TBD

DM:

Tiny viper: 6


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 24 | Fort +11, Refl +15, Will +12 | Perc +12 | Speed 25
♥️ 78/78 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3), 4th (2/2)

Action 1: Interact (Drawing his Lute)
Action 2: Inspire Courage w/Lingering Composition
Action 3: Perform

With his lute slung behind him, Dendillion adjusts to bring the instrument into his hands. He first strums a quick series of power chords to inspire the group, ending it off with a flourish!
Performance vs DC 15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
He briefly flubs the the final chord though. Not anything noticeable, but something his trained ear spots.

Inspire Courage for 1 round to all. +1 status bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.

He continues to let the music flow, hoping to fascinate the furthest snake.
Fascinating Performance vs Will DC: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Given that we're in combat, I would need to crit to succeed fascinate


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Dendillion inspires the party, but despite his best efforts to use the ancient Vudrani chords, can't charm the snake.

Round 1:
Dendillion: Bard-fu
Chark: Arthur Brown
Haldon: Go
Sneks: TBD
Tiny: TBD
Charlie: TBD

DM:

Tiny viper: 7


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

Haldan uses all 3 of his actions on Magic Missile on the far snake.

MM: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 1, 2) + 3 = 10


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Haldan weaves his most potent effect, driving a trio of missiles into the viper larger than he is. The larger snake is clearly wounded, but Haldan can see that it's going to take a lot more than that to kill it.

The smaller, burned viper, slithers to Tiny and and snaps its fangs at the dwarf: Bite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18, just barely falling short. It tries again: Bite: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12, but Tiny is even more prepared for the remise.

The larger viper slithers towards Chark and with fangs the size of daggers, tries to bite her: BITE: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17 for DMG: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7. With fangs deep in Chark's leg, it injects a lot of venom. FORT SAVE

Round 1:
Dendillion: Bard-fu
Chark: Arthur Brown
Haldan: MM
Sneks: ATK
Tiny: Go
Charlie: Go

DM:

Tiny viper: 7
Medium viper: 10


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Fort save that can only go well: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Well, better than I had feared, anyway.


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Chark feels the poison in her veins. Poison DMG: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Round 1:
Dendillion: Bard-fu
Chark: Arthur Brown
Haldan: MM
Sneks: ATK
Tiny: Go
Charlie: Go

DM:

Tiny viper: 7
Medium viper: 10


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Tiny sucks away from the viper with surprisingly agility from a dwarf.

Tiny ponders his circus training for a moment as he pushes forward his bracers to protect himself from further snake bites as he detangles himself swipes at the snake with both hands.

tiger claw vs FF: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 1 = 11
damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 1 = 4

flurry claw vs FF: 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 = 9
damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 1 = 9

Tiger stance, step, flurry


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Charlie unfurls his whip, setting his sights on the southern viper. "Goliath, g...get it." The bear thunders past, snapping at the snake.

... ◆⃟ Draw Whip
... ◆⃟ Hunt Prey (South Viper)
... ◆⃟ Command Goliath

... ◆⃟ Goliath Move
... ◆⃟ Goliath Attack

Goliath Jaws; Inspire: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 1 = 25
Damage (Piercing): 1d8 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 1 = 12

Status:

HP 19/19
AC 18 (20 w/ shield)
Wooden Shield [AC Bonus +2] [Hardness 3] [HP/BT 12(6)]
Hero Points 3/3

Goliath
HP 16/16
AC 15


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

As Tiny moves, the snake immediately slithers out of reach!

Charlie sends Goliath into the fray. The bear's jaw chomp down on the viper. The snake thrashes violently, but it's still got some fight left in it.

Round 2:
Dendillion: Go
Chark: Go
Haldan: Go

Sneks: TBD
Tiny: TBD
Charlie: TBD

DM:

Tiny viper: 7
Medium viper: 22


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 24 | Fort +11, Refl +15, Will +12 | Perc +12 | Speed 25
♥️ 78/78 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3), 4th (2/2)

Action 1: Inspire Courage w/Lingering Composition
Action 2-3: Telekinetic Projectile

Dendillion strums a few more power chords. The G, C, and D ring out, filling the group with musically inspired prowess. He adds a flourish at the end, hoping the sound carries in the wind.
Lingering Performance vs DC 15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
He mutters to himself, then slightly tweaks a tuning peg on his lute.
Inspire Courage for 1 round to all. +1 status bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.

He spots a loose branch near the viper by Goliath. "Maybe this will..." he says before performing a brief riff using notes from the Dorian mode. The music takes hold within the branch, launching it at the serpent!
Telekinetic Projectile vs Red Snake: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Damage (B): 1d6 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 1 = 6


MAP TEMPLATES | Social Combat | War for the Crown | Campaign Tracker |

Dendillion brings the branch down on the viper. The sharp edge of the branch piercing it at the base of the skull, killing it!

Round 2:
Dendillion: Kill
Chark: Go
Haldan: Go

Sneks: TBD
Tiny: TBD
Charlie: TBD

DM:

Tiny viper: 7


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

Adding more flair than is needed to his somatic components, Haldan produces a flaming card from virtually nowhere and launches it at the remaining snake.

Produce Flame: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 91d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Well, that could have been cool.


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Chark steps over and flings another palm-sized ball of yellow-white fire at Black.

ranged vs. Black: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
fire: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Step, somatic & verbal components.


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

Per Slack:
DC ?? Fort save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 nope


Map Templates | DC Chart | Conditions | Abomination Vaults | Extinction Curse| Circus Posts |

Haldan's flame is off target, but Chark's is right on target. The smaller viper shrivels to naught more than a charred corpse.

The poison of the larger viper continues to to course through Chark's body Poison Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4 You're also drained 1

Out of combat, but Chark Like in a ton of 2e games is in rough shape.


CG Male Human Bard 6 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice (Stealth +11)
Stats:
AC 24 | Fort +11, Refl +15, Will +12 | Perc +12 | Speed 25
♥️ 78/78 | ☘️ 2/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ Lute | ⚕ none | Spells (Occult, +12, DC 22): Cantrips (5), 1st (3/3), 2nd (1/3), 3rd (1/3), 4th (2/2)

Seeing Chark suffer, Dendillion wastes no time strumming a few notes off a pentatonic scale. When he lands on the root note, a wave of soothing magic washes over the half-elven woman.
Soothe: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Female NG Human Aiuvarin (half-elf) Clc7 | HP: 71/71 | AC: 21 | F: +12, R: +11, W: +15 | Perc: +15 [E] (low-light vision) +2 on Initiative rolls| Speed 25 | Default exploration: Search | Conditions: . | Hero Points: 1 | Focus Points: 1/2

DC ?? Medicine: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 ...I'll take it.


Male
Goliath:
Goliath | HP 71/71 AC: 23 | F: +14 R: +14, W: +13 | Low-light; Scent
Human | HP 99/99 AC: 24 (26 w/ shield) | F: +13 R: +17, W: +12 | Perception: +14 | Default Exploration: Scout | Hero Points 2/3

Goliath begins to shake the snake in his maw, chewing on it like some sort of toy as Charlie checks out Chark's injury. "Those the same snakes that k..k..k..killed Thunder? You have to get the venom out!" He looks scared. "Should we t..t.t..take her to Eliza? She knows s.ss..snakes."


M Dwarf | Monk 7 | HP 108/108| AC 24 | F +13 R +14 W +13 | Perception +13 (hp 2)
Þóðᛞrekkr:
HP 48/71 AC 23 | F+14 R+15 W+13 | Jaws +13 2d8+3 P

Tiny responds to some of Charlie's fear "Were they left here to kill us too?"

Tiny shakes his head regaining his composure "We can't blame them though, they are just animals, maybe the rat prints continue?"

Tiny looks around for further rat prints.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


CG Halfling (Gutsy) Wizard (Necromancer) / Sorcerer (Elemental) 7 | Exploration: Search
Stats:
AC 22 | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+14), Will (+12) | Perception (+10, +2 Circumstance to Initiative) | Speed 25
♥️ 76/76 | ☘️ 1/3 | ☀️ 2/2 | ✋ empty | ⚕ none | Wizard Spells (Arcane, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (7), 1st (4/4), 2nd (4/4), 3rd (4/4), 4th (3/3) | Sorcerer Spells (Primal, +14, DC 25): Cantrips (2), 1st (1/1), 2nd (1/1)

”We can blame them a little bit...”

Is Chark ok with that Medicine check? Is more healing needed? I’ll post a medicine check below, just in case it’s needed.

Meds to treat wounds: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

51 to 100 of 3,581 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Dungeon Master S's "The Extinction Curse" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.