[5e] Courts of the Shadow Fey

Game Master mishima


151 to 200 of 799 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

character sheet

Kjeta sees Lexi poking around the priests' pockets, looks confused for a second, and the wags her finger at the pale woman.


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

Deimus nods at Hrungnir and says: "Comradz, then. A letter, some coin, and the feeling thisz isz not the last we'll hear of those assassins. Well, except for this one I preszume."

The Gearforged takes in the sight of the temple, thinking of its link to the theatre: "The theatre used to be the temple, no? You tzhink that's why the hound appeared there first?"

As they head out, Deimus's head shows some faint smoke and a careful observer would smell the faint aroma of burned oil as the Old Kobold wonders if these were not the same assassins who saw him dead not so long ago... Some kind of vestigal shiver makes him wrap his cloak around him as they step out in the night.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tracker Sheet

Carnadine, night at the theatre

As the kobold crews clear out the dead, and after the guard have made their arrests and reports, Carnadine heads backstage to find the troupe has hastily departed, leaving most of their gear unpacked. Ever the patient one, his suspicions that one might return eventually come true...an androgynous player with wispy blond hair sneaks back in to retrieve a silvered makeup can.

The predator snatches his powdered hand from the darkness, suddenly beguiling him with a wave of psionic death energy "n-no...he wasn't one of us, not even an understudy. Ar-Arrowdyn was his name...but he called himself the Dawnbreaker. It was a last minute thing, Jeri and his swing had been missing a few days, we had to audition afresh lest we cancel the show! ...I don't know what he was doing or why, but I had nothing to do with it!"

With a bit more pressure on his wrist "...we've all heard the rumors about a performer making rounds about the taverns...stories ending with the guards attacking each other. No one took it seriously, you know how ridiculous drunks can get...if you trust the accounts he has a thousand faces...*erg* ...is a master of multiple instruments...*strain* are you going to kill me? Please lord...it is I, Lispant III at your mercy..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 50/50 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

Raseri shrugs as she follows the others out. Now that the fight was over, she is feeling the lingering chill from the hound, and the reminder of her mortality had dampened her spirit. She shares a mug with Kjeta and Lexi before heading to the small hovel she rented. Long, winding conversations with stuffy scholars are not her idea of fun, and she wanted nothing more than to crawl into a warm bed.

Her dreams are filled with the scents of evergreens and haunted by silver eyes. She wakes early the next morning, despite the long night, and begins packing her possessions into a large sack. She leaves the hovel behind, feeling restless and wanting out of the city's confining walls. She passes the landlord as he stumbles to the door in a half-drunken stupor and tells him she is leaving.

Her trek takes her an hour out of the city to the grove she'd been found in. Little had changed about it and the clear air was refreshing to her. She settles down in the nook formed by the roots of a tree and the bare rock they wrap around, the very same nook she woke up in six years ago. The cool breeze and the warm dappled sunlight help ease the anxiousness she hasn't realized she was feeling. For a moment, she was able to put the events of the night before out of her mind, and soon she was mulling over questions she hadn't asked for a long time. Why was she here instead of in the Northlands? How long had she been gone? What had happened before she had woken up here?

That last one proves the most vexing. Some things she knows with absolute certainty, but other things she has problems remembering, if she can remember at all. Memories always seem to be elusive for her. Some things stick out, but others slip through her grasp like smoke. Silver eyes, an act of compassion, fear, cold, the smell of cedar and pine, the feeling of pain then numbness in her limbs, and the screams of the dead and dying were all that she could recall beyond her name, her tongue, and how to please her chosen deities, even now. The gaps in her memory made her nervous, but perhaps she had found people she could trust.

Maybe.

Raseri let out a long sigh and let the sounds of the grove clear her worries away.

---

The sun is beginning to set when Raseri arrives outside of the brewery. She has had a difficult time of finding the place, but even as hard as finding the brewery had been, she is finding it harder to gather her courage for the task ahead of her. With a deep breath, she steps up to the door and knocks. A part of her wonders how Kjeta will react to seeing how young she looks as the door opens.

"I hope the day has found you well," she says formally. "I seek Kjeta. Is the brew-mother about?"


Tracker Sheet

Temple

A door on the west wall blasts open, and a huge lumbering hulk of a man walks through backwards slowly. He seems to be dragging a man-sized sack of something towards the forge and statue of Svarog in the northwest corner. He doesn't seem to notice you until his task is complete, and the large bag of charcoal is open.

Turning "Huh?? Father Oleg, brother Misha..." his voice is as slow and lumbering as his gait, but there is a warmth to his eyes "..what you do to them? What you do to Khors?" he points at the bodies and the strangely defiled statue, picking up a hammer from the anvil.

After you explain yourselves and the situation defuses, the big softie mourns and calls in the other temple members from the rectory next door who begin the process of cleaning and debating the best methods of re-consecration. Just before you leave, you hear one of them remark "Same thing happened 2 days ago with the Sanctuary of Gears...Rava's temple...you'd think someones tryin' to take down the Watchers o' the Crossroads..."

Stroll across town

You get the sense you are followed...movements in the shadows, or the shadows themselves moving...but all attempts to track down your pursuer seem foiled. That isn't the strangest thing though...

After you cross the Derry River, and take the well-known shortcut through the Collegium district on the way to the Hedgehog you turn onto Sandy's Moor Ave...and the entire street is gone.

No buildings, no cobbles, no grass. Just bare dirt, as if a god reached forth and plucked it out whole.

A halfling smoking a pipe is staring, smoking, and staring with a little smirk on his face.


Tracker Sheet

Raseri, Zobeck re-entry

Every time Raseri has passed the Zobeck gates, she has always noted the clockwork watchmen motionless and ever vigilant standing far above. She encounters a quite different scene this day...

Standing in their place in the high crenelations are lithe shadow fey, wearing matching white tabards adorned with a black crescent moon. A group of the city guard have gathered nearby apparently in an attempt to oust the intruders, and a red faced captain is accepting the latest report "Sir...we did march straight towards them but ended up halfway to the Argent. I swear we did not stray from our path...I..." he seems confused and unable to really explain.

The captain approaches until his nose is about an inch from the poor watchman "Mister, you'd better get your bearings and try that again or I'll be throwing your ass up there myself! And keep those shields up men!"


Tracker Sheet

The Hedgehog

Most know the Hedgehog (likely some reference to hedge wizardry) as a magical tavern full of youth with the occasional jovial grey beard tagging along. Just opposite the Arcane Square (which is actually a trapezoid as most geometers are quick to point out), the waiters and bartenders are glowing force entities summoned by the notorious owner, Radomir Shlenck. Because of Shlenck's reputation as a failed prodigy, the tavern will always be at best the 'unofficial' tavern of the Arcane Collegium...few know the true story, however.

DC 15 History, advantage if brewers tools trained:

Schlenck was cast out of the Collegium long ago for the crime of diabolism. Although he has re-friended maesters and apprentices, he will never truly be forgiven.

There seems to be nearly any drink or food available (discounted for resident students). Of course, the party has come also for knowledge...Hrungnir scans the room. Elves were very rare in Zobeck, perhaps only 1 or 2...but scholars of elven history and culture were fairly common, the erudite sons of b$!%*es. He spots Gullberry Mackledraw...that one is tolerable at least, and owes an ale if memory serves.


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 3 (3)

Earlier:

"Lady Thunder, Lady Brewer, thank you, but I do not imbibe. I'm going with our Dwarven friend to suss out some more information. Let me know where I can find you and I'll meet with you to update you on what I learned."

Turning, she then said "Lord Hrungnir, I will accompany you."

Now:

Lexi scanned the room as they stepped through the door, bundled cloak over one shoulder. After noting who were and were not threats, Lexi then watched Hrungnir's gaze as he swept about the room.

"I'll get us a drink Lord, while you chat up your friend." added Lexi as Hrungnir's eyes lingered on the man. She then approached the bar...

History: 1d20 ⇒ 13

and asked the man behind the bar "Is your resident arcanist available for a quick side job? I need to get something identified. Also, I'd like to get a fine Dwarven ale for my two companions, and I'll pay to rent out a glass with some water in it...and nothing else."


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

"Describe Jeri, and where was he last seen with his swing?" The Dhampir asks for another lead hypothesizing that this Arrowdyn did something to Jeri to make room for him at the theater.

After his answer, the Lord of the Night concludes with, "No. Lispant III. I will not kill you tonight."

Carnadine departs and takes a carriage for hire home to his luxury apartment.

The next day

Following his morning ritual that sees him ready for lunch, Carnadine starts his day visiting his information brokers. If they don't have information, then he will pay for information in the future.

1. Location and background of Jeri and swing

2, Background and contact of the symbol on the bottle of wine

3. Any more information about recent unprecedented actions in the City Council

Then, he will pay a visit to the Tumbling Negocient.


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

Hrungnir stomped over to the table where his contact was sitting. He had his cloak back on, but his armor still made a distinctive noise. Not that his armor was what would draw attention. Having a gearforged companion was far more conspicuous.

”Gullberry Mackledraw, as I live n’ breathe.” He said, rather solemnly. ”Got something that might interest ye.” He sat down and slapped the coin on the table. ”Pair of Shadow Fey just murdered a priest. We killed one, other got away. Found this on the body. Ye’ve seen it’s like before? Figure that for something as big as this, might as well give a scholar who isn’t a pain in the arse the first crack at making a name off of this.”


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 50/50 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

Raseri eyes the fey suspiciously and tries to enter the gates.


Tracker Sheet

Tavern, Lexi

He clomped a heavy book shut and down on the old scarred table, tossing a light set of glasses atop and beholding the dark haired girl. Apparently the noise didn't disturb his reading habit, though he shouted "A divination, you mean? Graduate level stuff..." his hands worked up the drink order as he spoke, as glasses flipped into position and the keg faucet opened to deliver its delicious dark orange contents. "...and a costly investment for those around here. Still, I could help you tomorrow maybe. But what is it exactly, what's so mysterious? You think you've found an item that bends the rules a bit, hmm?" his interest was quite genuine. Another glass jumped out the window to presumably have a dunk in the rainwater cistern, scooting itself slowly back to Lexi's reach...spilling only a few drops.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tracker Sheet

Carnadine, theatre

"Jeri is...was...a beautiful man. He spent years with a distant Ravenfolk rookery, learning those exotic styles of the string...he kept that style, that chaotic culture, in his dress and manner, too...I...he had..." Lispant III goes on to provide some physical traits of Jeri, notably tattooed ivy along his right forearm. "His swing, D'arche, was first a lover he picked up from the Midsummer's Festival caravan...they had a lot to offer each other, musically and personally..." again he complies and offers the best description he can.

He gasps his practiced gasp at the followup implication "You're saying Arrowdyn did something to them on purpose? I don't know...I mean...he still had to audition...why would anyone use music to hurt people?" he asked innocently.

Carnadine, information brokers

Carnadine's halfling contact in the Spyglass Guild, known only as the Cord is unaware of Jeri but agrees to start tracking him down for a price.

As for the marked symbol on the bottle, he rotates it around a few times "...ah, I get it now. This is a watchman's crest. When you take the tipstaff you gotta augment your familial crest with these marks here..." The tipstaff is a short ebony baton used in conjunction with arrest warrants. "...so I'd guess one of the City Watch is trying to make some side coin."

At mention of the council he shrugs "Our eyes have gone dark there...something is changing the regular order, for sure..."

Carnadine, Tumbling Negocient

Reaching the winery, you find a group of men pouring out wine stinking of piss and vinegar into the sewer. If you inquire, a frustrated man with stained feet and a feather in his cap explains "Group of elves came by and a whole batch went bad...look at this crap..." he tosses a parchment your way, written in the flowing and elegant style of the elves. "I can tell you what it says, it says 'as a penalty for words meant to insult and injure the city's right and proper rulers. All future vintnings will suffer likewise until a sufficient apology is offered.'"


Tracker Sheet

Hedgehog, Hrungnir

So just showing him the coins I take it?

Gullberry is already a few drinks in and immediately winks and nods "Shadow Fey, in the city? Hah, your heart's wishful thinking, isn't it friend? That lady of yours...say no more..." but when he fishes out a disc from the sack he nearly blows his stack "...truly someone in Zobeck possessed all this? Assassins at the temple of Svarog...? Hmm, I had heard about the attack on Rava but I thought...I mean that made sense, anyways, the most popular god of Zobeck would have some detractors. But Khors' light was already dying..." he holds the coin closer to the candlelight, flipping it back and forth to observe both sides. "This metal...unlike anything I've seen, have you? You're quite right, it could be from the other dimension of Shadows. Theres many tales of treasures found with unknown worth, foreign coins that could not be reworked or reminted with the tools of this world. But more revealing is the symbolism...the two sides of the coin are the two forms of rule, so the fairy tales say..."

"Two chaotic seasons of the shadow fey drive their court. The season of the Winter Court is the crueler one, ruled by the Moonlit King...whereas the Summer Court is gentler, ruled by the Queen of Night and Magic..." he pauses "Well thanks for thinking of me first, Hrungnir. I thought you were still sour about that tab I owed you...not my best night." he clasps your shoulder "Let me repay it! Tell me the tale in full..."

If you agree, he gets out a quill and parchment, taking notes and sketching the markings on the coin...while keeping the drinks flowing.


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”Yer Knowledge is more than enough to cover the tab. And besides. I’m sure that this road will lead to her. And before ye say anything I know ye’ve heard that before. But this is different. Anyway...” Hrungnir dutifully recounted the tale. Without embellishment, sticking to the details and naught else.


Tracker Sheet

Raseri, at the gates

The fey seem to match your gaze as you approach, but its hard to tell from the distance of the ground. The gate is open and you pass unmolested right through. This sort of 'passive' takeover is likely part of whats frustrating the group of guard so much.

You watch the group ordered up to the top of the wall again march forth, and at first they seem to be on the right track. After all, it is more or less a straight path through the barbican door and up the spiral steps to the highwalk. But you watch as they stupidly veer off just before reaching the first step, marching mindlessly between two buildings and disappearing into the city.

The captain facepalms, letting out a sigh of resignation.


Tracker Sheet

Hedgehog, Hrungnir

"Hah! And to think I almost attended that play...but I heard it was to be a political comedy and well, not my style. Those fluffs think they are more clever than they really are. But that beast sounds spectacular...and none were killed? Hmm, a parchment stuck to the door aggressively...I wonder what it said! Please tell me you kept it. And those gems near the assassin's heart, black opal with a king's crest? Perhaps the moon is a black orb on white sky on the other side..." he speculates, covering the candle flame with a finger as he gazes lost in thought. "Ah, what a strange life you lead."


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 3 (3)

"I do indeed, but I just want to make sure. I figured since my companion had some business here, I'd kill two dragons with one lance as they say. It's a suit of armor, of....interesting construction. I'd rather not just show it around, however. If I let you take a look at it can you at least tell me IF it's magic?"

"Also, can I send over a couple of drinks to said companion? Dwarven ale if you have it, your best ale if not."


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 50/50 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:

Assuming that nothing happens to divert Raseri, she'll seek out Kjeta at the temple to Ninkash.
The sun is beginning to set when Raseri arrives outside of the brewery. She has had a difficult time of finding the place, but even as hard as finding the brewery had been, she is finding it harder to gather her courage for the task ahead of her. With a deep breath, she steps up to the door and knocks. A part of her wonders how Kjeta will react to seeing how young she looks as the door opens.

"I hope the day has found you well," she says formally. "I seek Kjeta. Is the brew-mother about?"


Tracker Sheet

Hedgehog, Lexi

The ales had poured themselves without Lexi's notice, but surely she could now see as they floated gingerly towards her companion.

A bongo drummer in the corner struck up the intro beat to the ever popular dwarven number Skipping Threesies with an Orc's Entrails to the delight of the young students imbibing.

The bartender leaned in a little closer to not shout as much "Dare I say, the item of note resides in that large bulging conveyance?" flicking a pinky to the sack.

If Lexi responds truthfully (or even if she lies), he continues "I have a way to keep your discretion while still serving the effect...a little trick in the name of education." he grinned. "The magical detection you speak of normally takes a great deal of time, but with the help of some of these students..." he let it hang on the air as he hopped over the slick bartop into the center of the tables.

Raising his voice he started sarcastically "Pop Quiz, Collegiates. The ritual of detection is easy to learn, but hard to master...as some of your semester grades have proven. I am no maester thus can not help you with a letter on your record, but I can offer this: a free round to any who help me complete the formula. Who here is brave enough, or drunk enough, to accept vile Shlencks challenge??"

A few older students step forward, their liquid courage plain to see. Shlenck begins the circle of salt as one old bar fly shouts "A cleansing of the airs and earths, before the ley line can be plucked with pure hand."

A student holds his hands in a triangular pattern, resembling the webbed foot of some forgotten primitive animal, and quickly produces a thin layer of transparent ice between the gap. Another in the crowd speaks up "...ah. The window with which to gaze behind the veil of reality."

One rests in a meditative posture, closing his eyes tightly and chanting a repetitive burst of syllables. Again someone eager to explain offers "Preparing the mortal mind for the visions to come!"

Another spills some hard liquor into a strange circular pattern, cursing down at the swirling fluids. "The rejection of...? Oh no hes just a drunk, not part of it..." and the crowd laughs.

Finally the meditating student places his hands on Shlenck's shoulders as he steps within the ring of salt and gazes through the window of ice until it seems to melt and cling to the surface of his eyes. The crowd cheers at the success of the ritual, and in 1/4th the usual casting time. Shlenck turns in a circle to bow to the crowd with airs, spending an ever so longer second to regard the dark haired woman with the sack...

1d20 ⇒ 12

...but none seemed to notice the subtle gaze linger.

As the rewards float to the students, he returns to Lexi. "I hope you liked that because I have some bad news, nothing you currently hold is radiating arcane energies..."


Tracker Sheet

Kjeta's Brewery

Hesitant to write this scene because not sure if Kjeta is there or not. This would be the night after the Hedgehog scene.


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)
GM Infinity wrote:

Hedgehog, Hrungnir

"Hah! And to think I almost attended that play...but I heard it was to be a political comedy and well, not my style. Those fluffs think they are more clever than they really are. But that beast sounds spectacular...and none were killed? Hmm, a parchment stuck to the door aggressively...I wonder what it said! Please tell me you kept it. And those gems near the assassin's heart, black opal with a king's crest? Perhaps the moon is a black orb on white sky on the other side..." he speculates, covering the candle flame with a finger as he gazes lost in thought. "Ah, what a strange life you lead."

Hrungnir nodded. ”Aye, I’ve got the parchment. Here, let me fish it out.” As he rummaged, he said ”This area have a history with the fey? They seemed to think the place belonged to them. That makes me wonder, as it doesn’t seem like this is a random occurrence. Almost like they wanted attention. Makes me think we’ll all be living interesting lives soon.”

K History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
That is for what he knows, but more information never hurts


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

information brokers

"So, is this crest unique to a specific city watchman? If yes, can you identify which one?" Carnadine continues his inquiry.

Tumbling Negocient

Carnadine feigns disinterest in the Elven attack, "Where can I find the proprietor of this winery? I have private business with them beyond today's Elven action."

Presuming the lord of the night can privately meet the vintner, "I tasted an amazing pressing from this winery last night. Would you have another sample for me today such that I may reinforce my memory? I'm interested in investing in this business." He tries to get the same bottles that he had last night. He will check if they also have the watchman's mark, even if they've been turned to vinegar. He does not disclose that he knows the wine was Morgaunic yet.

"Who were those elves? Do you know what their threat is about? Do you know what who said? To whom would they have to apologize?"

If he finds the watchman's symbol on another bottle, he shows it to the vintner, "What's that mark?"


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

I must confess I'm a little confused by the different plotlines currently running. Deimus is at the HEdgehog with Hrungnir, yes? But so is Lexi? Are we in different parts of the same place, or different times? Also, who saw that the street disappeared?

Deimus listens attentively. For a short moment, he wonders whether a Kobold would have drawn the same looks he has drawned. Unlikely, but would it have been better looks? Not likely either...

His attention snaps back at the mention of the two courts. He wants to say something, ask something, tell about the parchment, but this was not the time, and he was not the person to do so. Hrungnir seemed to have a connection with the scholar. The strangest of thing really! He would not have expected. There was more to this Northlander than he first thought when he asked him to shut up.


character sheet

I'd been intending to go to the Hedgehog last night, but that scene seems to have progressed a good bit. Let's assume that Raseri declined (too tired, whatever) and we both hit the hay early.
.
No time for a longer post ATM but to keep things flowing we'll say Kjeta went this morning with her donkey and wagon to go buy some new barley, and then came to the brewery to brew.

Brumdal--the acolyte who'd assisted Kjeta the night before--opens the door for Raseri.

"Aye, the brew master is in. Lemme see if she's free."

A moment later Kjeta emerges, wiping wet hands on her apron. Her eyes light up as she sees Raseri.

"Raseri! Good to see you again. Here for another taste of the Good Brews?" After a pause, she says, "Hey, seeing you by light of day...I think I read you to be a good bit older, strutting around in that armor, and calling on such weighty magics. I may not be the best judge of human age but isn't yours still a bit tender? No offense intended. A connection to the gods like yours deserves praise, even for one a good deal older."


Tracker Sheet

Everyone said they were going to the Hedgehog except Ras and Carnadine...and now Kjeta. Lexi is at the bar, Hrung is with Gullberry so I did them separate...but yes its the same time, Lexi ordered drinks for Hru. All who walked to the Hedgehog were at the street disappearance scene.

Feel free to jump around in time so you dont miss out on stuff.


Tracker Sheet

Hedgehog, Hrungnir

History check: The scathsidhe vanished from everyday life almost a century ago, withdrawing to their realms just as other fey creatures have abandoned the world.

"Very little actual historical account remains of the fey in Zobeck....mostly just children's stories. They say the Margreve Forest was once theirs." Gullberry takes the parchment, mouthing the words "Elvish...yes. It reads:"

Quote:

Let it be known to all who come here: the charter of the Temple of Perun and Khors is revoked by order of the Ambassador Thelamandrine. None may enter, visit, chant, keep vigil, or worship here unless and until the priesthood conforms to the new practices. Those who violate this order are subject to summary execution or removal by the forces of the Realm.

By his hand,

His Excellency Glaninin Thelamandrine, Hidden Ambassador-In-Extraordinary of the Winter Court to the Fey City of Zobeck

"Ahem...you are very sure you are not pulling one over on old Mackledraw, eh? This seems quite serious..."


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

Deimus makes a fluting sound, his brain-pipes working feverishly: "An ambassador- No, a hidden ambassador to the Winter Court?! Something is going on, something terrible and ancient... Was the theatre a temple to Perun in days past? That would explain the hound appearing there. We need to speak with someone ancient, or at best some archive from these temples, at least. What do we know about what happened at Rava's temple?"


Tracker Sheet

Carnadine, Information Broker

The Cord nods "Specific to one, aye. I don't have em all memorized, there's likely a thousand. But look, its not hidden information...a register at the city archives would have 'em all under record for decades back. Hey, that's just next to the council hall, maybe you could have a snoop around while you're at it." he grins "Of course, you could always pay me to do the same. I'd have to charge double though, like I said, its hot for us there right now...ye might never see ol' Cord again, then where would you be?"

Carnadine, Tumbling Negociant

The proprietor turns out to be the same foot stained man you were talking with earlier. He agrees, because of your business interests, but is rather taken aback by your claims "Really...er...how much would you be willing to invest? I suppose my hand is bare sir, you must realize we have just experienced a major financial tragedy." he fishes out a few bottles from a little wine caddy, none of which have the mark. Uncorking them, the unmistakable aroma of acetic acid results "...ye see, its as if our brand itself is cursed...damn those snobs. We've been selling off what we can just to recover our losses, presses, filters, degassers, bottles...hell we even had to divest an interest in our cork orchard."

"Far as I can tell it was our herald that set em off. Just a lad, creative one...always coming up with a funny rhyme ye've never thought of. Hes the one that stands on the corner when the inn and tavern owners are making their purchases. He didn't mean anything by it, just said our wine 'was better than any other on this world or the other'. Now how can a rational man take offense to that...?"


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”This is deathly serious. Seems like an invasion could be imminent. Mackledraw, I’d recommend getting your family to safety. My comrade here is right though, that we need to find temple leadership. Make them aware of what is happening. And see if we can get answers. Would ye like to come with us? I can read Sylvan and Umbral, but never got to Elven. Your assistance, should we get access to the archives, would be useful.”


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 3 (3)

Realizing what was about to happen, Lexi does her best to encourage the "contestants" without drawing too much attention to herself. She also applauded when the student managed to create the desired magical ritual.

When the onwer, Lexi said quietly "Masterfully done, Lord Shlenck."

She then stacked 20 gold crowns on the bar, in all manner of country denominations. "May I also have a glass of water in one of your beer mugs?"

Collecting her mug and bundle, she made her way through the crowd to Hrungnir's table and said "So, have you two friends caught up?"


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Cord

”You’ve been very helpful as usual. If you find Jeri, please leave me word at my apartment. “ Carnadine pays him for his time.

vintner

”Let me buy a full bottle of this vintage from you. I need a sample to discuss with my factor. And, what’s the name of your herald? He’ll need to apologize to these elves. Please have him write an apology and post it on your front door. “ Carnadine expects the vintner to give him the bottle for free on the promise of investment.

He’ll ask for a description of the herald if he doesn’t know him. He bids his farewells.

scribe

Afterward, Carnadine stops by a scribe to get a couple samples of the tipstaff mark on sturdy parchment. He inquires if the scribes know of anyone who frequents the city archives. He would have a small job.


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 50/50 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:
Kjeta Strongmalt wrote:

Brumdal--the acolyte who'd assisted Kjeta the night before--opens the door for Raseri.

"Aye, the brew master is in. Lemme see if she's free."

A moment later Kjeta emerges, wiping wet hands on her apron. Her eyes light up as she sees Raseri.

"Raseri! Good to see you again. Here for another taste of the Good Brews?" After a pause, she says, "Hey, seeing you by light of day...I think I read you to be a good bit older, strutting around in that armor, and calling on such weighty magics. I may not be the best judge of human age but isn't yours still a bit tender? No offense intended. A connection to the gods like yours deserves praise, even for one a good deal older."

Raseri only smiles and thanks the acolyte. She waits patiently for Kjeta to arrive, not at all bothered by the time. When the brewmaster does show, she begins to grin, then looks a little confused when asked about her apparent youth. Realizing that Kjeta has no way of knowing her true age, the priestess chuckles and smiles at the dwarf.

"Forgive me, Kjeta, Mistress of Brews. I sometimes forget how youthful I appear, though my steel-skin does much to hide it when I wear it. No insult is taken," she says with a grin. "I am indeed here for another taste of your excellent mead. I have some things to speak with you about. Would you join me for a drink or two," She asks, the lie of her her cheerful tone and smile revealed by the dullness of worry in her eyes. Whatever she is wanting to talk about, they are weighty matters indeed.


Tracker Sheet

Hedgehog, Hru/Lex/Dei

Polishing off his last cold one "Sure, thought you'd never ask. Not every day you get to travel with a real runesman of the north. Besides, I don't like when Shlenck starts getting all 'showy' like that...and no offense but when the dwarven music starts its always a good time to leave."

Just as Lexi didn't notice the ales, she also didn't notice the glass of water in front of her. I can't tell if you are doing that on purpose or not, lol

Gullberry nods at the gearforged, who were not at all uncommon in the Clockwork City "The Six Lanterns? Aye, before everyone started moving to Rava, they say that ampitheater would fill to the brim with Khors' faithful. Not many follow the Bright Master of the Chariot round here anymore...though I've a traveled friend, says He's more popular in Magdar to the south."

"I just heard about the Rava attack from a crier, but we could go there and talk to them I guess...er, unless thats too sensitive...the Sanctuary of Gears, thats like the place of your rebirth, isn't it?"


Tracker Sheet

Carnadine

I think I meant 'crier' instead of 'herald', herald is more for royalty...but whatever.

With matters settled with the Cord and the vintner, the profit-minded dhampir strolled towards a discount writer at the Squatting Scribe.

There he encountered a frail gnomish woman, pouring a large bottle of octopus ink into multiple tiny vials. He could swear she snuck a taste when he wasn't looking...she wears what must be a hat made of flesh, exotic mushrooms and moss growing forth "Ah yes, the tipstaff's mark! Funny isn't it, how service pays itself back over the generations. Not all masters are so generous, eh?" an annoyingly hairy mole flopped as she spoke.

"Of course, calligraphy is no substitute for a real escutcheon. Obsidian is the only thing that can give it the proper shade..." she opens an old book with foiled illuminations of heraldry that glow in the candlelight, flipping through a few examples. She copies the one from the bottle a few times.

At the job proposition "Ah, but were you here a fortnights past! My 3rd born, Gentrie, just lost her position with the archives to some elven upstart. Says the whole scene is changing over there...I've a mind to march down there myself and tell them what, but no...bit too public for this hunted." she adds casually.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

"How can I contact your Gentrie? Her advice would be most appreciated on how to proceed in the city archives."

"Hunted? How are you hunted, madame?" Carnadine would continue that conversation to gather more information.

In case that finishes the information available from the scribe, the Lord of Night will collect his three samples of the tipstaff mark and seek out Gentrie.

He tries to time visiting the crier who stands on the corner when the inn and tavern owners are making their purchases. He wants to speak to him.


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8
GM Infinity wrote:

Hedgehog, Hru/Lex/Dei

Polishing off his last cold one "Sure, thought you'd never ask. Not every day you get to travel with a real runesman of the north. Besides, I don't like when Shlenck starts getting all 'showy' like that...and no offense but when the dwarven music starts its always a good time to leave."

Just as Lexi didn't notice the ales, she also didn't notice the glass of water in front of her. I can't tell if you are doing that on purpose or not, lol

Gullberry nods at the gearforged, who were not at all uncommon in the Clockwork City "The Six Lanterns? Aye, before everyone started moving to Rava, they say that ampitheater would fill to the brim with Khors' faithful. Not many follow the Bright Master of the Chariot round here anymore...though I've a traveled friend, says He's more popular in Magdar to the south."

"I just heard about the Rava attack from a crier, but we could go there and talk to them I guess...er, unless thats too sensitive...the Sanctuary of Gears, thats like the place of your rebirth, isn't it?"

Deimus tenses a bit at the mention of his "rebirth," but his faceplate remains impassive. The mention brings back a flash of memories far too recent and incomplete for him to bear easily.

"Tzk." is all he manages for a long moment. A soft whir fills the air between them. Finally, he says: "I'm happy to go. Rava watches on my kin... I mean... All my kin, my new and my old, so I feel a responsibility to make sure Her temple remains in good standing."

"But before we head out, and perhaps we can make a short detour that way, I wouldn't mind taking a second look at Sandy's Moor Ave. When I passed it tonight... It looked... Well, it had gone. Feels the whole city is upside down, really."


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”I take it is on the way? Aye. When dealing with fey, cold logic is not the end all be all. Feelings and intuition be just as important. If yer gut says it is important, we will go and see where it leads us.”


HP 29/29 | AC 15 | Acr +4 Dec +7 Ins +7 Int +5 Inv +1 Perc +2 Perf +7 Pers +10 Stea +6 | Saves: S -1, D* +6, C +0, I +0, W +1, Ch* +7; Imm Disease Poison (dam and cond) | Init +3 | PPerc 12; PInv 11; PIns 17 | Spd 30' | Insp: Yes! | HD 7/7 | Status: Normal | Spell slots: 4 3 3 1 | BrdIns 4x d8

"Tzk! Where is this coming from? And what do you know about me and my sense of logic anyhow, Northlander? Do you assume that gears impedes intuition? What is intuition then, compared to a gear missing a sztep?" blurts Deimus back at Hrungnir, his brain-pipes whistling.


Wounds (0) HP (75) AC (20) Saves (6/-1/6/2/1/0) lvl1 (3/4) lvl2 (0/2)

”It was a fookin’ compliment ye rust-addled bucket! Was tryin’ to say that while I’d rather head straight to the temple for me research that I’d come with ye cause if ye believed it to be important to check it out then I trusted yer instinct. Bah! This is what I get for being nice.” The dwarf fumed.


character sheet

Kjeta immediately picks up on the mixed signal and puts her arm around Raseri as they walk. "C'mon. I have a barrel of crowberry lambic--made with a batch of Jotunheim crowberries that I got a hold of--that's just ready to tap. You are from up North aren't you?

"Now, what's on your mind? You look as if you've seen a ghost. Was that your first time having to slay someone?"


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 3 (3)

Lexi just want to have a mug with some liquid in it so that she don't stand out in a bar. It's something her mentor taught her.

"Hey now, no need for either of you to get offended. We have bigger fish to fry than worrying about pride." Turning to Gulberry, Lexi says "Nice to meet you. Lord Hrungnir here says that you're quite the expert on the shadow realm. I have something to show you in that regard, but I would prefer not to do so here."

Speaking to include the entire table, Lexi says "So, shall we head out?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tracker Sheet

Carnadine

The old gnome rants about some kind of demonic god hunting her kind, but that a 'special' mushroom cap somehow protects her...crazy, for sure.

Her granddaughter is along shortly, wearing the same style hat and little pointy shoes with jingle bells "So, you want to get into the archives? Well, normally I'd say just walk right in...its a public hall, after all. The guards are quite selective these days though...you might be less pestered if you had more elven features. The Watchman crests fill 36 volumes on the 3rd floor of the northeast corner...for someone currently in service, you'd want to start at the end and work backwards."

As you leave to visit the crier, you realize without doubt you are being followed. You are sure just as you turn some shape fades into shadow. You could spend a great deal of time trying to foil or capture your pursuer, but all attempts end the same...the stalker persists.

But later, with the vintner's crier, you can tell from a distance the spunk has been taken out of the lad. He seems quite reluctant to do his job. He is wearing a double sided placard of wood with the Tumbling Negociant trademark feebly shouting "Our wine...its pretty good. N-not the best...I just mean..." and such stammers in fear.


Tracker Sheet

Missing Street

The same halfling is still standing there, still smoking. "One of them 'what the deuce' moments, yeah? Sorta like 'what the deuce is going on'? Or 'what the deuce is this'? Well, I heard some stuff. My sweet Cheri told me same thing happened over on Tailor's Street, and Uncle Boffo sez the whole courtyard in Green District vanished just the same." he pauses to take a long drag "But they came back after a days time, they did. So I'm here to see it for meself. I figures to meself, I figures...'Chippy, when you ever see something come from nothing?' And well, can't say I have. So here I am, standin' and smokin' and waitin' to experience a miracle. Or another 'what the deuce' moment if ye prefer..."


Tracker Sheet

Lex, you want to duck down an alley to show Gullberry the goods?
Or something more private in mind?


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 3 (3)

I'll just actually tell him what I have in the cloak and see how much he offers me for them.


Dhampir Knight Incoporeal | HP: 54/62 | HD 0/7 | Thirst 0/2 | Charm 1/1 | Wind 1/1 | Surge 1/1| Inspiration Yes!
Stats:
AC 19 | Str +6 Dex +0(+2) Con +5 Int +0 Wis +0 Cha +2 | Initiative +0 | Passive Perception 13, Darkvision

Carnadine thanks the gnomes and squirrels away that nugget about "demonic god hunting gnomes, but that a 'special' mushroom cap somehow protects them."

Feigning to ignore the stalker, the Lord of the Night approaches the crier with a calming smile. "Seems like someone forced you to apologize. That's not fun. You were just embellishing like all good criers. Do you remember the elves who took offense? Can you describe them?"

Getting as much information from the crier as possible, Carnadine heads toward the city archives. Having lost all sense of time, he stops for luxurious snack on the way.


Tracker Sheet

Lexi's Bargain

"The arms and armor of a fey assassin, and 4 precious gemstones with strange markings? I must say...my curiosity overwhelms the danger of being found with such things in my possession. But alas, I am just a scholar, not a man of much means...perhaps the knife. I'd give ten times what its worth though my wife will surely disembowel me...10 gold?" If crestfallen "As I said I would love to study such items in detail, but I simply couldn't offer you a fair price...maybe with time I could find a colleague with similar educational pursuits. It would rest with me better than simply pawning it off at the Vineyard District merchants..."

So, wait for him to find buyer or sell to normal buyers. Either can be done in OOC sometime. Its mundane, but hyperexotic, so sells full price. With social check you could increase it further.


HP: 43 (55) | AC: 17/18 | Saves: Str: +0; Dex: +7; Con: +2; Int: +3; Wis: +2; Cha: +0 | Initiative: +6 | Passive Perception: 18; Passive Insight: 15; Passive Investigation: 10 | Inspiration: [X] | Spells/Day: 3 (3)

"Very well, I find that to be most reasonable. I will afford you a 20% finder's fee should you be able to arrange a buyer for the rest, which should help to set your wife's mind at ease. I can confirm that these items are not of magical make, but unfortunately, they are currently wrapped in my cloak, which I will need back."

Lexi smiles at him as he pays her for the knife and pockets the money. "So, do we have an accord?"


CG Female Human(Variant) Cleric(Tempest Domain) 7 HP: 50/50 | AC: 10 | Saves: STR +3 DEX 0 CON +1 INT 0 WIS* +5 CHA* +3 | Perception: +5, Investigate: 0, Insight: +5 | Channel Divinity: 2/2 | Spells: 1st 4/4, 2nd 3/3, 3rd 3/3, 4th 1/1| Arrows: 20, Inspiration: 1, Status:
Kjeta Strongmalt wrote:

Kjeta immediately picks up on the mixed signal and puts her arm around Raseri as they walk. "C'mon. I have a barrel of crowberry lambic--made with a batch of Jotunheim crowberries that I got a hold of--that's just ready to tap. You are from up North aren't you?

"Now, what's on your mind? You look as if you've seen a ghost. Was that your first time having to slay someone?"

"Aye, I am," Raseri answers with a wistful smile, "the well of my memory is clear enough for me to know that, though little else."

She looks to the north, her eyes seeing something far away. She shakes herself out of the seeming daydream and gives Kjeta a more jovial grin.

"Forgive me, I get lost in my thoughts easily sometimes. I would be honored to lift a horn of the barrel's nectar with you," She says as she enters the brewery. The lanky northlander maneuvers with surprising grace through the hall, her eyes alight with curiosity as she looks around. The questions bring her back to why she is here and her response grows hot on her tongue before she swallows her pride and remembers how young she must look.

"Nay. I have not lived six years in Zobeck working as a guard and a smith without having to send some brainless cocks to the crows. It does not help that I appear as a young lily, ready to be plucked," she answers, her disgust clear with whatever incident inspired her last sentence.

"Nay, 'tis not ghosts I fear, but the fey," she says again, declining to answer more until they're somewhere private and she's had something to steady her nerves.

"Elves have taken the walls. They dress in white with the rim of a black moon upon their breast," she explains after a healthy pull of Kjeta's brew. She smacks her lips and has a longer, slower sip before lowering her horn a little.

"Elding Þórs, það er gott," she mutters into her drink. She shakes her head again, trying to focus, but it was always hard when she got restless like this.

"Apologies, Lady Kjeta. I... I have trouble sometimes. I get restless and lose my head. I do not flow along one bed, but spread out like water spilled from a carelessly handled pail. It is a vexatious vice and one I rid myself of with great difficulty. It is almost more maddening than the unclear memories I have."

151 to 200 of 799 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Courts of the Shadow Fey Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.