GM Nekome's Treacherous Waves (PbP Gameday VIII) (Inactive)

Game Master Nekome

Slides


101 to 150 of 386 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

"No." Honoke shakes his head wearily. "And I've had to stay with them the whole time since we returned."

There are no signs to tell exactly how the marks were made; they look like they could have been created by a mundane sharp object.


If you feel you've exhausted your options here, where do you want to go next? You also have directions to Razethka's pool and Tsomo Qorra's office.

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

Unless we're missing some non-obvious check, hopefully this clue makes sense later.

I guess our previous knowledge (nature) was about the algae, so just in case...?

Knowledge (nature), fin marks: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18 could the mundane sharp object be teeth or claws?

Otherwise, yeah, moving on.


You're really sure it's a code.

Where to next?

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

Perhaps Razethka, the brine dragon, would be interesting to talk to. While I have no specific reason to think they will know about the code, I've found dragons do tend to collect odd bits of knowledge.

Ferdrin looks around at the group for consensus.

one more vote should do to keep us moving.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf - Arcanist 3 - AC(17)/T13/F10/CMD14 |HP 20/20| Fort:+3;Ref:+5;Will+5 |Percept.+4 | Init.+5 | { mage armor} Arcane Pool (4 of 9 used)

”Agreed. To the dragon is a good plan. “


You are forced to wait half an hour while Razethka arranges herself in a chamber she considers suitable for meeting visitors, a marble pool surrounded by stained-glass windows. When you are finally admitted, you see a massive brine dragon, covered in scars which in turn have grown colorful patches of sea anemones.

"Greetings, Pathfinders," she booms. "I am glad to see someone is working to get to the bottom of this matter."

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Las tries to recall what he knows about brine dragons with the aid of his wayfinder.

Knowledge Arcana (T10)=21 + Inspiration: 1d6 ⇒ 5

"Please, tell us what you know."

Auto Aid on Diplomacy

Grand Lodge

m halfling Bard/4 [HP: 27/27] [INT: +4; perc: +10] [AC: 16/13/14] [saves: 4/8/7(see below)] [CMB: 2; CMD: 14/12] [bardic performance used: 15/23] [Move: 20]

"We are here to do our best, My Lady Razethka. Any information that you may have, no matter how minor it may seem, would go a long way to helping us solve this incident. If you don't mind, of course."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

Diplomacy, aid: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Yes, and would you be interested to hear about any of the clues we've encountered so far in our search? For example, Honoke's whale-sharks are exhibiting some interesting symptoms...


"The tide turned when it should not have, and brought the algal bloom to us," she says. "I know nothing more than that. As one of the chief funders of this expedition, its failure is an insult to me. I would be willing to wholly fund a new one if the Pathfinder Society is willing to try again."

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

Ferdrin's thoughtful expression shifts to intrigued at the suggestion of a new expedition.

You know, that would give us the opportunity to temp another interference and obtain first-hand clues. I'm guessing whoever is behind this is persistent in their resolve.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf - Arcanist 3 - AC(17)/T13/F10/CMD14 |HP 20/20| Fort:+3;Ref:+5;Will+5 |Percept.+4 | Init.+5 | { mage armor} Arcane Pool (4 of 9 used)

”We can surmise another attack is possible. Even if no attack is made, the expedition will achieve the original success desired. Ideally we will uncover the perpetrators and motives. “

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Las' attentions is piqued when Razethka mentions the changing of the tide.
"What could change the tides like that?"


"I should hope you could find the explanation for what happened before another expedition is sent to its doom," says Razethka. "You sound as though you have accepted Zahra's word that it was sabotage. Tell me, what have you uncovered?"

To Las's question, she says, "It could have been natural, and we could simply have not been where we thought we were. But we found our way back to Vialesk easily enough. Sufficiently powerful magic could do it, I suppose."

Sense Motive DC 20:
Razethka appears to be hiding something about the tides.

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

So when you show us the DC then I feel like I'm metagaming when I take 10 and I know I can make it. But I am normally a huge fan of Taking 10

Las invokes his wayfinder to gauge the dragon's response.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

He squints at Razethka, listening intently to the explanation.

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 4

He doesn't get any hint of a lie, but his statements don't add up on their face.

If you found your way back easily, how could you not know where you are? I sense you have a deep amount of pride in your work. With respect, I have trouble believing you ever didn't know where you were.

His expression lightens as he nonchalantly responses to the brine dragon's characterization of another expedition.

Well, that would sort of be the point of us joining the expedition. It would be protected, and we would be expecting a possible attack. For example, if magicks were involved we could perhaps detect them before they were deployed.

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Las makes sure to interrupt any response by the group, "We haven't found out anything conclusive. Why did you fund the expedition initially? "


"Ah, well," says the dragon and pauses a moment. "I heard that there might be an artifact in the shell settlement Zahra was making for. Something that can affect the tides, yes."

"Anyone who went on a new expedition right now would reason the same," she says to Ferdrin. "I do not think we would have many volunteers to be attacked in the same manner as the last one. It is essential to have a full explanation before organizing another."

"As for where we were, that was up to Zahra and her charts. But I believe she is in the right."

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Las continues, "Who else might be interested in the artifact and what might they do with it? If you had to hazard a guess, what do you think is going on? "

Does Las think the dragon is holding something back to deceive us or because he/she does not trust us.

Las is beginning to think that the party might trust the dragon.

I also did that K. Check on Brine dragons earlier, was hoping to learn about their alignment.

Grand Lodge

m halfling Bard/4 [HP: 27/27] [INT: +4; perc: +10] [AC: 16/13/14] [saves: 4/8/7(see below)] [CMB: 2; CMD: 14/12] [bardic performance used: 15/23] [Move: 20]

"There seems to be some animosity towards Yuka on Zahra's part. I am not sure it all stems from this incident. Do you know of anything from their past that may shed some light on this?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Grand Lodge

Male Elf - Arcanist 3 - AC(17)/T13/F10/CMD14 |HP 20/20| Fort:+3;Ref:+5;Will+5 |Percept.+4 | Init.+5 | { mage armor} Arcane Pool (4 of 9 used)

And dragons are known for their longevity. In your many years, has such a combination of events ever occurred? Or is the coincidence too unlikely to be statistically impossible?


Brine dragons are lawful neutral. Las thinks she was holding that back just out of caution.

"I know nothing about Yuka and Zahra," says Razethka. "And the tides have never been fully mapped. But as to who might be responsible, if it is sabotage... there are many tribes of sahuagin in the Lambent Bloom. I would look in their direction."

At this point, if you want to consider what else you may know about sahuagin on the Plane of Water specifically...

Knowledge (Nature) DC 10+:
Sahuagin are a prosperous and warlike aquatic race, launching constant raids on coastal races and underwater cities. They once had mighty empire on the Plane of Water, but bitter in fighting caused it to crumble.

DC 15+:
Sahuagin have a strong affinity for sharks, allowing them to telepathically communicate with the creatures.

DC 20+:
Sahuagin are prone to beneficial mutations, such as four-armed sahuagin or spined sahuagin. Vialesk is known to have a tribe of prehistoric sahuagin among the ranks of its army.

DC 25+:
Rumors speak of rare sahuagin mutants known as malenti, who are identical in appearance to aquatic elves but share their kinfolk’s bloodthirsty nature.

Grand Lodge

m halfling Bard/4 [HP: 27/27] [INT: +4; perc: +10] [AC: 16/13/14] [saves: 4/8/7(see below)] [CMB: 2; CMD: 14/12] [bardic performance used: 15/23] [Move: 20]

Andy thinks back at all he has learned about the Plane of Water...

Knowledge(Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

...and shares what he remembers, if anything, with the group.

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

I think I know a little more about that...

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24 Open the 20+ spoiler. If a cleric wants to retroactively cast guidance, my roll would be 25 to get us the last one.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf - Arcanist 3 - AC(17)/T13/F10/CMD14 |HP 20/20| Fort:+3;Ref:+5;Will+5 |Percept.+4 | Init.+5 | { mage armor} Arcane Pool (4 of 9 used)

So was the sahuagin we met just acting typical for his species or was there something more nefarious at work? Ecthelien jots down a few more notes in his journal.

sahuagin...sahuagin. I wonder what the source of that name means.

So are we to proceed with planning the second expedition or are we returning to the sahuagin for more questions?

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Las will confer with Ferdrin about sahuagin.

Auto Aid Another with +8 bonus and Guidance and Inspiration

"I wonder. Could Lileone be one of these mutated sahuagin?"


"I have met the agent Lileone, and I think it is doubtful," says Razethka. "But tell me, have you uncovered anything else?"

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Did Las get the sense he could trust the dragon?

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

Unless Las indicates that we cannot trust it...:

Honoke's whale sharks exhibited strange marks on their fins, almost machined, and they seemed to represent some sort of code. The submersibles seemed fine to our engineering inspection. Most disturbingly, a sahuagin outside of Yuka's shop told us that Yuka had better watch out who he works with, a reference that is unclear and could refer to anybody else involved in the expedition.


She seems trustworthy where her interests align with yours. That includes the damage to her financial stake and reputation associated with the expedition.

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Las does not stop Ferdrin from speaking his mind.

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

then you can assume the above dialog from Ferdrin


"Fascinating," says Razethka. "I know nothing about this code, but I do know Yuka Kannamen has been importing some odd items recently. Large quantities of cement and ironflame powder, particularly. I do not know what he plans to use it for. You might wish to ask him."

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

Ferdrin taps his chin with one index finger.

Interesting. Then revisiting Yuka will be one of our stops later on.

anything else from others?

Grand Lodge

m halfling Bard/4 [HP: 27/27] [INT: +4; perc: +10] [AC: 16/13/14] [saves: 4/8/7(see below)] [CMB: 2; CMD: 14/12] [bardic performance used: 15/23] [Move: 20]

"We thank you very much for your time and sage advise. I believe we have more people to talk to. Enjoy the rest of your day." Andy says with a smile and a deep bow.


Where to next?

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Apologies

Las replies to the dragon, "Oh wait. I do recall there was a suspicious looking sahaugin outside of Yuka's shop. Warned us about who Yuka might be associating with."

Grand Lodge

Male Elf - Arcanist 3 - AC(17)/T13/F10/CMD14 |HP 20/20| Fort:+3;Ref:+5;Will+5 |Percept.+4 | Init.+5 | { mage armor} Arcane Pool (4 of 9 used)

”Interesting indeed . I wonder the purpose of those two ingredients. A visit back with Yuka is warranted. “


The walk back to Yuka's workshop is uneventful. The watching sahuagin is still at its post, but makes no move to interfere.

"Well, hello again!" says Yuka with a winning smile. "What brings you back here? Care to rent one of my submersibles after all?"

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

While walking back to Yuka's shop, Las tries to think of what those ingredients could make.

Craft Alchemy (T10 wGuidance)=26

Liberty's Edge

Male Oread Monk (Manuevre Master/Student of the Stone) 3 | HP: 24/24 | AC: 18 (22 Mage Armor) | T: 17 | FF: 15 (19 Mage Armor) | CMD: 23| Fort: +4 | Ref: +5| Will: +6 (+1 Mind affecting)| Init: +2 | Perc: +9| Sense Motive: +3 |

"Do we know where we're going? We have to talk to more people?" Hildan follows along, looking anxious about the prospect.


Ironflame powder is an alchemical reagent which can burn briefly even without air. Las is unsure what that plus cement could be for.


Bump. You've gone back to visit Yuka Kannamen again because you discovered he's been importing large quantities of cement and ironflame powder. What do you want to say to him?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf - Arcanist 3 - AC(17)/T13/F10/CMD14 |HP 20/20| Fort:+3;Ref:+5;Will+5 |Percept.+4 | Init.+5 | { mage armor} Arcane Pool (4 of 9 used)

Ecthelien is not overly politically correct, and would just ask him unless someone more diplomatic has a better plan.

Yuka seems logically to have some construction or destruction projects happening. I am wondering to what end goal he is working? Anyone have an idea where to start with him?

Grand Lodge

m halfling Bard/4 [HP: 27/27] [INT: +4; perc: +10] [AC: 16/13/14] [saves: 4/8/7(see below)] [CMB: 2; CMD: 14/12] [bardic performance used: 15/23] [Move: 20]

Andy goes over to Yuka and says...."Greetings once more. During our investigations, we came across an unusual combination of Ironflame powder and cement. Would you happen to know what it may be used for? It would help clear up some of our questions, in addition of providing us with a possible avenue of investigation."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21

Dark Archive

Male NG Human Arcanist 3 | HP 14/17 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB 0, CMD 10 | F+1 R+1 W+3 | Init: +0 | Perc: +0, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/9 | Tireless Logic: 1/1 | Volatile Conduit: 0/1 | Spells: 1st 0/6 | Active conditions: none

It's always possible that one of those we're interviewing would feed us bad information to mislead us...

Ferdrin nonchalantly looks around Yuka's shop for signs of these components.

perception: 1d20 ⇒ 8

He watches Yuka's response to the question closely...

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 20


Yuka smiles back at Andy. "Oh, that's not in my usual line of work, but a client asked for my help since I've got experience in the import business. I arranged the import, and it goes to their warehouse. I don't know what they're using it for. Here, let me get my logbooks--"

With a few minutes going back and forth between Yuka's logbooks and a map of Vialesk, he's able to give you directions to the warehouse the shipments are going to.

Yuka seems entirely honest to Ferdrin.

Scarab Sages

Male Human (Garundi) #43870-5 | Investigator 5| HP 50/43 | Init +1 | AC: 15 T:11 FF:18 | F: +4 (+4 vs Poison), R: +6 W: +7| MW Whip +6(1d3+1) | Perception +10 | Diplo +9 | UMD +12 | Sense Motive +10 | Spellcraft +9 |DD +9
Active:
False Life 5hrs

Las nods. "Somehow I get the feeling we will find our answers there."

Las turns to Yuka, "Would you happen to know why a sahuagin is watching your store? He seems to be concerned about some of your more recent clients."

@GM - What race is Yuka?

Grand Lodge

Male Elf - Arcanist 3 - AC(17)/T13/F10/CMD14 |HP 20/20| Fort:+3;Ref:+5;Will+5 |Percept.+4 | Init.+5 | { mage armor} Arcane Pool (4 of 9 used)

”The wArehouse seems to be the next destination on our list of sites to visit. Let’s find it. “

101 to 150 of 386 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Nekome's Treacherous Waves (PbP Gameday VIII) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.