Diners and Dragons: A Modern Fantasy Campaign

Game Master VixieMoondew

A modern campaign with heavy fantasy flavor; our heroes decide to take a break from desk jobs, retail, and food service to take a chance on the original gig economy: becoming adventurers!

Slides


151 to 200 of 316 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Bard 1 | HP 10 | AC 13 T 13 FF 11 | F +1 R +4 W +2 (+4 vs. illusions) | Init +4 | Perc +6 | Bardic Performace (+1d4 fire) 14 rounds/day

"I'm still kickin' it in Virgina Beach. Heard Pusha T is lookin' for talent on his record label, and this man right here has two thumbs and some talent," Docta G says, while pointing at himself.

Docta G seems slightly taken aback, as if an old memory was jostled to the forefront. His demeanor shifts, and he suddenly seems less of of the cocky, confident gnome he tends to be. "T...taxes? Yeah, I got a little experience with..." He trails off before shaking his head slightly and saying, "But you know how it be my man. I know some adventurers, the fellas who got me into the rap scene. Mighta heard of OutCast."


The bartender returns before long and slips two fizzy glasses of sweet brown in front of the "little ladies," Cassidy and Faith-in-the-Rain.

"If you don't mind me butting in, there's the boards and then there's the boards. Literal boards," he says, gesturing towards a billboard by the wall. [b]"The apps and whatnot are probably less of a hassle to work with, but the occasional grandma or pastor or whatever still goes by the ol' 'Stick-a-Post-It-on-the-local-tavern-wall' method. Hell, half the time they even remember to bother to leave a phone number," he chuckles.

"Lotta legwork to check those regularly, but if you just so happen to be in a bar every day..."

He taps his yellow fingernails on the counter a few times, then leans toward Joe.

"Brother Yosef, weren't you thinking of taking a look at that old lady from the church's thing? The thing in her downstairs? The... oh, hell, this isn't coming out right. But you remember the one?"

BroJo:
Whether it's something you nearly forgot or something that's been on the forefront of your mind, you recall a woman in the robes of a priestess of Shelyn coming into the bar recently and asking to put up a note. Having seen it later, there was something about calling for adventurers to help her clear out something from the basement.

It didn't really clarify what.

While she didn't leave a phone number, she did leave the name of the church: St. Baelia Church of Shelyn. Should be easy enough to Google.

Or ignore. Someone will get to it.


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.

Joe looks to the hobgoblin and nods.
"Hey, ya! There was a nice-looking girl in Sherlyn robes wanted to post something not too long ago. She was out of St. Baelia. Didn't leave a number, so we could hoof it over there. That could be our next step?"


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Faith looked pointedly at the large amount of alcohol presently being consumed. "We can see if she still needs help in the morning, certainly. We might not be drunk, yet, but I'd still hate to find out how much slower I am with a sword." Some things were just a bad idea, and anything that seemed to be a better idea the more you drank fell into that category. Fighting anything while drunk was one of them.

Looking at Franklin, Faith shrugged. "I hire a guy, when I can. I run a tattoo place."


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin squinted and looked at Docta G closely again, recognition teasing him but offering no affirmation of the gnome rapper's identity. He shrugged it away, for now, first starting to ask more about the Doctor's tax experience, but quickly shifting to how the man had gotten into adventuring. "Oh, like the group with those Andre and Big Ben guys? I didn't know they were adventurers! They must be cleaning up in Atlanta."

When Ugran and Joe start to talk of a possible task with a good-looking Shelynite, Franklin grew excited. He had been patient for years, and had lots of experience pushing away his desires and ambitions. Now that he was actually doing this, he wanted to press forward. "Ummm, maybe we can at least talk to her tonight, get a feel for the situation. I haven't even had a single ale, yet. But if you guys want to wait, I can see about calling in sick tomorrow..."

To Faith he said, "A tattoo place? I wonder if he's properly expensing your tattoo equipment. The IRS has amortization schedules for that kind of equipment...you have to make sure it's done right." Franklin's tone indicated he was certainly knowledgeable enough, though he didn't overtly offer his services. That would be pushy.


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.
Faith-in-the-Rain wrote:
Faith looked pointedly at the large amount of alcohol presently being consumed. "We can see if she still needs help in the morning, certainly. We might not be drunk, yet, but I'd still hate to find out how much slower I am with a sword." Some things were just a bad idea, and anything that seemed to be a better idea the more you drank fell into that category. Fighting anything while drunk was one of them.

"No, my friends", the cleric said with a knowing nod. "Tonight is about fellowship and catching glimpses of The Drunken God's Wisdom through heavily-lidded eyes. Tomorrow will wait for us."

Faith-in-the-Rain wrote:
Looking at Franklin, Faith shrugged. "I hire a guy, when I can. I run a tattoo place."

Joe was gonna interject into the conversation, his arms already covered with tats, but decided against it. He hadn't known Frankie long, but quickly realized he wasn't had much social interaction outside of work. The monk seemed at ease speaking with the hot blue lady, who Joe figured was a calistrian. This is good, good for Frank. Let him have his moment. He needs it, thought the cleric.


CN Half-Elf Rogue (Phantom Thief) | HP 8/8 | AC 16 FF 12 T 14 | CMB +4 CMD 14 | Fort 0 Ref +6 Will -1 | Init +4 Perc +3 | Active Effects: none
Immunities:
Magic sleep effects

Nessie finally enters the bar, smelling of smoke and sea breeze, and slides in next to the others. "Just a lemonade," she says to the bartender, batting her eyelashes at him.

When his back is turned, though, she tries to swipe any unfinished drinks left behind on nearby tables.

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15 Hm.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Slipping Nessie her own, slightly sipped, drink with a wink and very few cares given, Faith looked over for bar nibbles, and fed one to the masssive Wasp perched on her shoulder.

Faith tilted her head at Franklin. "Yes, a tattoo parlour." She held up her own left arm, and compared it to Joe's. "Mostly my own work. I even did the ones on my back, using some magic and a lot of mirrors, although I had to get a friend to do some touch-ups. If any of you guys want something done I can probably help out."

Smiling a little, she added, "If you wanna check my tax returns and make sure I'm not getting fleeced, I'd happy to pay you a little. Taxes really aren't my thing." She hated paperwork, honestly, and you had to file a metric ton of that crap to run a tattoo shop. Health licences, tax forms, business permits...it made her teeth itch.


CN Half-Elf Rogue (Phantom Thief) | HP 8/8 | AC 16 FF 12 T 14 | CMB +4 CMD 14 | Fort 0 Ref +6 Will -1 | Init +4 Perc +3 | Active Effects: none
Immunities:
Magic sleep effects

"You do tattoos?" Nessie asks, leaning forward with interest. "My parents wouldn't let me get a tattoo, but I'm an adult now. I want, like, two little fish on my hip. And a jellyfish on the back of my thigh, maybe."

She looks thoughtful as she sips the drink that the nice blue lady slipped her, feeling like a whole world of possibilities is suddenly open to her.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Faith considered this. "Depends on pain tolerance. Hips can be a rough spot, especially for a first tattoo. Too boney on a lot of folks, but it'll depend on exactly where you want it. Some parts of the thighs have got a lot of nerves, so they can be difficult too, depending on how high up you want it." Pulling the hem of her skirt up a little, Faith revealed that the tattoos on her leg did indeed continue up and around her thigh. "Made it a pain in the ass to concentrate, literally."


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.

Brother Joe nodded impressively at the intricate pattern and it's location. "Is that all your work?"


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

"Yup," Faith replied with a grin. She held out her tattooed leg, holding onto the bar for balance. "Like I said, it was a pain in the ass to do, and it was part of why I learned magic. Even then I had to get a friend to neaten some bits up. It runs all the way from my foot," she wiggled her beare toes, some of which contained the same pattern, "Which hurt like hell to tattoo, by the way, up my leg, around my thigh, along...places, then up my back and around my side, over my stomach and chest, and then up to what you see on my shoulder, neck, arm and face. It took a while, but I like it."


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin didn't have any skin in the game, literally, when it came to talking tattoos, so he remained silent, just listening to the banter back and forth. His eyes widened slightly as Faith decided to introduce them to a fuller view of the tats that ran the full length of her body, from what she said. Pretty bad ass. Maybe he should get a tattoo. He probably needed to shave his body, too. Maybe even his head. Grow a goatee, shave head. That was a tough guy recipe.

As the group decided to hold off activities until the morning, the accountant started going over excuses to call in for work. In the years he had worked for his family, he had never taken a sick day, even when he was actually sick. His father had instilled upon him at an early age that when someone took an 'off' day, it required everyone else to work harder in the missing person's stead. And considering Franklin always received the worst assignments already, he hadn't wanted to consider how worse it might get should he inconvenience his parents and brothers.

He kept sipping at his ale, surprised when he brought it to his lips and found it empty but for a bit of foam. Not keen on the idea of another, he waved the bartender over. "You got anything stronger that might have a better...ummmm, taste? If so, I want one of those."


The bartender leans in and admires Faith's tattoos. "Hadn't even thought of using magic to do self-work. Very impressive! I've got one myself, actually."

Ugran pulls back his sleeve and flexes, showing a surprising amount of muscle, as well as a tattoo of a dwarven Latina with roses woven into her beard, and cursive beneath her image that is, admittedly, rather hard to read under the dim light. Her beauty is fairly signficant in comparison to Ugran's rather plain appearance (though admittedly he's fairly sharply-dressed, for a bartender).

"My wife, Rosalita," he grins. "Got her put on there by a local guy. Uses his own ink and everything! ...One'a them, whatyacallit. Cecaelias. Don't see a lot of them inland, of course, but a couple of 'em have shops on the boardwalk."

Once everyone has (or has not) admired the needlework, he nods to Franklin's request. "What kind of taste you like? I'd be happy to surprise you but I don't know ya that well yet."


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Craft (Tattoo): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

"Pretty work of a pretty lady," Faith commented, squinting in the poor light of the bar. It was hard to see how the colours were doing. "If you ever want it touched up and the original artist can't do it, come give me a shout. Although I don't have as many limbs, I admit. And I make my own ink more...traditionally?"

She glanced over at Nessie. "That's something else to keep in mind. Tattoos might be permanent, but they need touched up every now and then to keep looking good. Depending if they're exposed to the sun or under your clothes, it'll be every decade or two."


CN Half-Elf Rogue (Phantom Thief) | HP 8/8 | AC 16 FF 12 T 14 | CMB +4 CMD 14 | Fort 0 Ref +6 Will -1 | Init +4 Perc +3 | Active Effects: none
Immunities:
Magic sleep effects

"Yeah, right," Nessie says, only half-listening to the artist's advice as she eyes the magical tattoos, grinning as she imagines the frankly hilarious reaction she would get from her parents if she were to pull up her skirt like Faith just did and show off a new tattoo. They'd already cut her off; there wasn't really much more they could do to punish her.

...That was an interesting thought. And kind of a frighteningly liberating one. The half-elf downs the rest of the drink, tapping her short, colorful fingernails on the table anxiously.


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin leaned in closer to Ugran, whispering conspiratorially, "Gotta admit, buddy...I don't know anything about alcohol beyond the basics. Just hook me up and try not to kill me, ok?" The accountant gave the man a thumbs up and settled back, admiring the man's tattoo of his latina lady. Looks like he had married up...though he didn't know anything of the man. He seemed a decent sort, maybe she just had good taste and enough sense to look past looks.

As the bartender hopefully mixed him up something real fine, Franklin wandered over to the 'boards', idly glancing about to see if anything interesting caught his eye.


Bard 1 | HP 10 | AC 13 T 13 FF 11 | F +1 R +4 W +2 (+4 vs. illusions) | Init +4 | Perc +6 | Bardic Performace (+1d4 fire) 14 rounds/day

"You know, I been thinkin' of getting a tattoo. Lotta other rapper got some, could really help my game."

"Anyway, gonna go see what Miller's gettin' up to."

With that, he hops off his bar stool to look at the boards.


The board, a classic cork number not too far from the door and as dimly-lit as the rest of the bar, has a few posters on it; notably, the one from the St. Baelia Church of Shelyn is still up. There are a handful of others as well.

St. Baelia Poster:

The poster is on basic printer paper, and seems to have been generated through a Word document. It reads:
Dear Sir or Madame or Gentlefolk,
We of St. Baelia's are having a problem that needs clearing out in our basement. Please excuse me if this isn't following the correct format; my Abadarian friend is out of town this week.
Thank you,
Sister Claera

LFG:

looking for group to play pathfinder 1e. current group is level 7, composed of a wizard (abjuration focus), rogue, and a lutheran cleric. ideal candidates value social over story, but we need someone who can tank. we meet near janaf, phone number is [xxx-xxx-xxxx], let me know if you think you would be a good fit

Lost Feline:

My father has recently passed. Unfortunately, his trusty tiger, Leo, disappeared the night of his murder. If possible, it would be good if Leo could be found prior to his funeral next Wednesday, as it would mean a lot to the family if he was able to attend.

I can be reached for more details at [xxx-xxx-xxxx]. Please text first.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Faith glanced over at the board, but wasn't interested. Now was the the time of booze and potential regret. "If you wanna get some ink, I'll be happy to help. But now...alcohol." She moved over to the bar again. "Now, could I get that tequila, please?" She glanced over at Joe. "Unless tradition dictates something else?"


Ugran puts an appletini in front of Franklin’s seat, then nods at Faith, ”Tradition dictates that at some point you stop mumboing the jumbo and get to drinking, if I’m not mistaken,” he grins, showing his crooked, pointy teeth.

”One ‘quila, comin’ up. You want the trimmings?” he asked. ”Not gonna f*^% with cutting a lime for you if you’re the type to leave it sitting.”


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin glanced at the board, noting the gnome wandering up nearby. Turning to Docta G, the accountant said, "The tiger seems interesting, but pretty dangerous. The church seems like a good first job as a group, I guess." He walked back to his seat, noting the fruity drink that had been left for him.

"Thanks..." He thought about calling the man Ugran, but that seemed too familiar. 'You' seemed even worse. Shrugging, he sipped at the drink and found it far more palatable than the ale had been. Soon enough, the drink is gone, and a pleasantly small buzz was forming in his head. He thought of the drive home and how much he'd need to sober up before heading out. "How about one more?"

Turning to the others, he said, "We should probably exchange contact info before anybody gets too blasted to care."


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.
Faith-in-the-Rain wrote:
"Now, could I get that tequila, please?" She glanced over at Joe. "Unless tradition dictates something else?"

"By ALL means, dear lady. I'd like one too, with a pepsi chaser, Ugran."


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Faith nodded to the good brother. "Lime, please, yes." Pulling out her phone, she flipped to her contact information and held it up for Franklin.


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket, dropping it to the floor in his haste. Good thing he had invested in a good case for it. He sheepishly scooped it off the ground, then entered Faith's info into it under 'Faith' before saving it with a grin. She might be tiny but she was also exotic, and he had her number! Well, it was technically for business purposes, but it was a start in the right direction.

The accountant looked around to see if anyone else wanted to exchange numbers, slapping his head and then pulling up his info for Faith, should she want to enter it. Considering they had informally agreed to meet at her tattoo place, it was probably for the best that she of all of them had their information.

He looked back at Ugran mildly, not wanting to rush the man for another drink but deciding that liquid courage was in for tonight.


It isn't long at all before, with a bit of relish, Ugran slips a drink in front of all three of those who had asked for more than an ale, with the Pepsi coming a moment later.

If I can get a Fort save from Franklin, Faith, and Joe, please! Actually, two from Franklin. Nothing bad, just checking how to progress y'all's drunk-o-meter.

It's worth noting that, unless I'm contradicting myself here, it's a Thursday night.


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.

Fortitude: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Joe smiles broadly as all three members of the newly-formed adventuring group took their drinks. "To Last Call! May become a true force for good in the world, while becoming insanely rich and famous! Ha-HA!"
After the toast, the cleric takes out his phone and gets deets from his fellow adventurers.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Fortitude: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Raising her glass, Faith knocked back the shot with a fluid motion and a pleased sigh before eating the lime. After about half the slice of fruit was munched she passed it to the wasp perched on her shoulder, who leaned back and grasped the piece between its forelegs, lifting the slice to its mandibles and started munching. Occasionally it's wings vibrated in happiness.


Bard 1 | HP 10 | AC 13 T 13 FF 11 | F +1 R +4 W +2 (+4 vs. illusions) | Init +4 | Perc +6 | Bardic Performace (+1d4 fire) 14 rounds/day

Docta G takes another deep drink of his beer at Brother Joe’s toast, ”Now that’s some real s~!% you just said my man, let’s make Last Call poppin’.”

After exchanging contact info, Docta G’s phone rings and he begins talking animatedly to the person on the other side of the phone, ”Ayo, Lil Shmoney, what up? Oh, that gig at Quasar tonight? Totally blanked on that. Yea I’ll come meet you. You still trappin’ on 66th street? Fasho. Catch ya, dawg.”

He then sets down his phone and says somewhat abadhedly, ”So uh, I’m playin’ a show tonight. Didn’t expect to get inducted into an adventurin’ group, ya dig? I gotta hit the road, but I’ll drop a line once the show and the afterparty and maybe the after-afterparty wrap up. Check my mixtape on Soundcloud if you wanna, don’t know if the bars will be as fire as they are in person, but they gon’ slap nonetheless. Anyway, Docta G out, catch y’all for the next one.”

With that, the small, eccentric rapper heads out the door.

Figured now would be a decent time for an exit. It’s been super fun so far, and I can’t wait to see how it ends up once I’m back!


Ugran gives the good Docta a wave as he heads out, then leans on the bar, taking an interest in the big insect on Faith’s shoulder.

”Aww, he’s a cute one, innie? Can’t let most pets in the bar on account of dander and all, but I’m betting this one doesn’t shed.m,” he chuckles, reaching out a few fingers for the wasp to... sniff? Inspect? Whatever it is wasps do.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

As the rapper headed out, Faith waved bye. "No dander," Faith laughed as the insect's antenna waved over the presented fingers before it went back to its lime. "If it makes you feel better, Flicker is more a manifestation of the Goddess Calistra's personal approval than a pet. If I ever upset the Favoured Sting she'll try to kill me." Faith gave the murderous insect a scratch beneath the chin.


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.

Brother Joe smirks. "Yeah, that's not the worst thing I've heard Calistria has done." The cleric looks to the sky-blue lady, "Nevertheless, most Calistrians can find refuge under Cayden's Hall; our faiths tightly woven together for centuries. What was your name again?" Joe attempts to make some corrections on his contact list on his phone.


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Franklin sipped on the second...whatever it was more carefully the second time around, listening to the banter around him as his head buzzed pleasantly. When Docta G excused himself, the accountant waved good-bye to the gnome, not understanding half of what he had said but getting the context well enough. Plans for tonight, holla later.

What Joe had said might have been a bit of bluster, but Franklin hoped it would be true...to get out of the 8-5 cycle and live a life of adventure would be grand. To only have to take on jobs and work for the excitement itself or the notoriety it might bring...he couldn't begin to comprehend what that might be like. And likely would continue to be mystified, if he continued drinking.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

"My name is Faith-in-the-Rain," Faith replied with a slightly raised eyebrow and somehow pronouncing the dashes. She decided not to point out that the main reason the two faiths were linked was the Accidental God had been chasing Calistria's skirts since he'd managed to get so unreasonably drunk that he ascended to Godhood.

...it would be better to point it out when she got annoyed.


F/F Init: C:+3, S:+2
Cassidy:
Gnome Twinned unSummoner 1| HP: 9/9| AC: 14 (14 T, 11 F)| CMB: +3, CMD: 11| F: +1, R: +3, W: +2| Init: +3| Perc: 0, Bluff: +10/13, Disg +10| Speed 25ft
Sadducee:
Twinned Eidolon 1| HP: 11/11| AC: 15 (13 T, 1 F)| CMB: +1, CMD: 13| F: +3, R: +2, W: +2| Init: +2| Perc: 0, Bluff: +6, Disg: +14/22| Speed 30ft|

Cassidy exchanges contact info as well, sipping her drink and passing it back and forth between her and the lady in her coat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Contact information successfully exchanged and at least a fledgling social media presence established, the night winds up and, significantly later, winds down; everyone makes their way home one way or another, and surprisingly, everyone manages to hold their liquor (literally, at the very least). Ugran keeps the drinks coming, and pressed Joe into covering one of his shifts next week. With the hole in his pocket that the night's festivities and the previous shopping trip are creating, Joe likely has little option-- it's not as if the adventuring business has picked up overnight.

Those of you who have work tomorrow wake up with a mild hangover a few hours earlier than your body is truly prepared for, but nothing that a tall glass of water or a cup of coffee doesn't fix.

It's around midday when some of you recall that the gnomish rapper did not, in fact, text you as promised.

It's around the end of the workday when you each finally do get a text, sent to a group chat including a few phone numbers you don't recognize:

good morning aM DOING FINE DEFNATLY NOT BEING HELD HOSTAGE AT DISCRETE LOCATION. unrelaTed please bring blu lyte from kmart like that cool gobblin wanted to norfoke bodannigal garten. also a cool small big sord for a noam like me and som hot pockits

There's a minute's gap between that message and this one:

gardens close at 7

Then:

i forgot to say FO SHIZZUL a bunch but its still me. the noam man. fa sho


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Faith stared at her phone for a moment, forcing her eyes to focus. Her business did not demand early hours, and she was wise enough to drink water between shots. She just didn't like waking up.

Reading the message, Faith sighed and put it down. "Flicker, it looks like you have some Goblins who didn't listen to sting today." The wasp buzzed appreciatively at the idea of inflicting horrible violence on those who deserved it.

Kicking the covers off, Faith sat up with a stretch and a yawn. After a moment she tapped out a message to the other folks from Last Call. So, shall we go buy a blue light, give it to some Goblins, get back our rapper and kick some sense into them? Fair warning, I've already promised Flicker the chance to sting them.


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin plodded through his work after deciding not to call in to work. It would likely make his parents and brothers start asking questions he wasn't ready to answer, yet. Working on a particularly difficult account involving some kick-back money that was being made to look like a rebate of some sort, the young man received the text on his phone.

Seeing that it was the gnome rapper finally checking in, he glanced at the message for a moment before returning to his work. When the phone buzzed again with a message from Faith, he read the message, his brow furrowing as he scrolled up and actually paid attention to the note from Docta G. It appeared the gangsta had been nabbed by some goblins, as Faith said, probably the same ones they had beat down the previous day.

Frowning, he glanced out of the door to his tiny office, seeing that everyone else seemed to have gone home at lunch time on Friday and he was working by himself. F@+~ it, he thought to himself...they weren't the only ones entitled to a half day to kick the weekend off. The accountant shut down his computer, typing out a message, "Getting off work now...meet you all at K-Mart in a few."

With that, he locked up the office and hopped into his car, both worried for Docta G's safety and thrilled to be on 'the case' again.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F/F Init: C:+3, S:+2
Cassidy:
Gnome Twinned unSummoner 1| HP: 9/9| AC: 14 (14 T, 11 F)| CMB: +3, CMD: 11| F: +1, R: +3, W: +2| Init: +3| Perc: 0, Bluff: +10/13, Disg +10| Speed 25ft
Sadducee:
Twinned Eidolon 1| HP: 11/11| AC: 15 (13 T, 1 F)| CMB: +1, CMD: 13| F: +3, R: +2, W: +2| Init: +2| Perc: 0, Bluff: +6, Disg: +14/22| Speed 30ft|

Cassidy rolls out of bed and fumbles for her phone and compact mirror. She sees the new messages and ignores them initially in favor of smearing makeup all over her eyes and mouth and compact. She murmurs something under her breath and pushes her arm through and into the hand mirror, grasping her reflection's hand and pulling her out and into the real world.

"Hey good looking," smiles Sadducee, doing her own makeup.

"Ugh, how can you sound so cheery? Aren't you, like, the least bit hung over?"

The mirror image smacks her lips in a mirror of her own and shrugs. "Pretty sure I'm still, like, drunk, b**&%. Time doesn't really pass for me when I'm, like, in the mirror world. You fall asleep or I die and then boom, I hear the words and see your arm reaching for me and I get real again."

Cassidy idly scrolls through the two message threads, before explaining the situation to her eidolon.

"What do you mean kidnapped?"

"Like the goblins are holding him f@%$ing prisoner, obviously."

"Why is this our problem?"

"He can get us into clubs and s%@*. Think, stupid."

She types out a reply into the groupchat without goblins.

K-Mart isn't gonna let us keep a blue light, let's just trick the idiots into thinking we're gonna comply

Sadducee grabs the phone and a slice of cold pizza as Cassidy brushes her teeth.

also lyk have ne of yall dummys considerd this is acshly the REAL doctor? js


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin's phone buzzed as he was driving to K-Mart, and he picked it up from the charger to see it was from the cute, creepy gnome twins. The top twin, if he remembered correctly. His brow creased and his face flushed in irritation after reading the message, and he nearly swerved off the road as he looked up in time to avoid a head-on collision with a minivan headed in the opposite direction.

The accountant cooled off on the rest of the drive, thinking that Cassidy was just being sarcastic. That was the problem with texting...there was no body language to consider. He pulled up into the nearly-deserted parking lot, seeing he was the first one there. Not surprising. He was possibly the most eager to have...whatever this was. And, being honest with himself, the others didn't strike him as the most punctual of types.

Resigned to wait, he pulled out his phone and started playing Accounting for Empires. He had already passed his CPA exam, but it always helped to stay sharp.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Faith looked at her phone as she got out of the little electronics store, and considered. Was it possible that it was really just the gnome?

No, no really. Setting her purchases down for a moment, she typed back, Anything is possible, mathematically speaking. But I'd bet quite a bit that they jumped him.

With the message sent, she spent a moment screwing the Blue Light she'd just bought to a standing lamp base, and headed to the meeting point. Time to rescue a DJ.


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.

Opening the eyes it the worst!
After hearing the chime of his phone texts, Brother Joe mentally prepared himself for the day, and opened his eyes.
The cleric screamed internally as his eyes adjusted to the sun pouring in from his window. With a heavy sigh, Joe squinted at his phonescreen to read the bad news.
"Those..f#<kers!" The caydenite moaned.
With a rage, not so much out of the news that one of his idols were taken by goblins, as a rage of forcing himself to higher action, Joe stumbled and bumbled around his apartment, clothing himself, throwing aftershave on, gathering his new gear, and locking the apartment behind him.
"I'm coming, Doc! By Cayden's puke bucket, I'm coming!"


CN Half-Elf Rogue (Phantom Thief) | HP 8/8 | AC 16 FF 12 T 14 | CMB +4 CMD 14 | Fort 0 Ref +6 Will -1 | Init +4 Perc +3 | Active Effects: none
Immunities:
Magic sleep effects

Nessie rolls out of bed around noon, her head all fuzzy and achey with the slight hangover. Which is like, total b!+!&$+~ because she didn't even drink that much last night. She drinks water, eats a vegan, gluten-free toaster waffle, and then spends the next hour taking a long, hot bath with a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Steam, smoke, and the sounds of Regina Spektor waft out from under the bathroom door and into the apartment that her parents have put her up in.

She finally leaves the apartment in the late afternoon, wearing heavily tinted sunglasses and the new leather armor — which looks really good on her by the way — in search of some weed.

[Plug Emoji]? is the first thing she says in the group chat, followed by, Sorry that was for someone else. Are we meeting @ the botanic gardens? Can someone give me a ride there?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F/F Init: C:+3, S:+2
Cassidy:
Gnome Twinned unSummoner 1| HP: 9/9| AC: 14 (14 T, 11 F)| CMB: +3, CMD: 11| F: +1, R: +3, W: +2| Init: +3| Perc: 0, Bluff: +10/13, Disg +10| Speed 25ft
Sadducee:
Twinned Eidolon 1| HP: 11/11| AC: 15 (13 T, 1 F)| CMB: +1, CMD: 13| F: +3, R: +2, W: +2| Init: +2| Perc: 0, Bluff: +6, Disg: +14/22| Speed 30ft|

Sadducee replies back with a thumbs up emoji, and then one of a tiny floating man in a business suit.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

Send me your address, I'll come pick you up. Anyone else without a ride or too hungover to see straight do the same. Last thing she needed was someone crashing when they might be useful.


Human Unchained Monk 1 | HP 12/12 | AC 14 T 14 FF 12 | F +4 R +4 W +4 | CMB +4 (+6 Grapple) CMD 18 (20 vs Grapple) | Init +2 Perc +7

Franklin saw the text traffic on his phone, thinking that he was picking up the cute stoner half-elf from the previous night only to get cock-blocked by Faith. He snickered at himself, shaking his head. That might be overstating things a bit...the accountant wasn't exactly known for his prowess with the fairer sex.

The worst of his hangover having been banished by several hours of intense bookkeeping and 800 mg of ibuprofen, the young man punched in the botanical gardens on his phone and started following the directions given, alternating between hoping Docta G was just messing with them and the gnome actually being in trouble. Only to be rescued by the newly-minted adventurers with nary a scratch, of course.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
F/F Init: C:+3, S:+2
Cassidy:
Gnome Twinned unSummoner 1| HP: 9/9| AC: 14 (14 T, 11 F)| CMB: +3, CMD: 11| F: +1, R: +3, W: +2| Init: +3| Perc: 0, Bluff: +10/13, Disg +10| Speed 25ft
Sadducee:
Twinned Eidolon 1| HP: 11/11| AC: 15 (13 T, 1 F)| CMB: +1, CMD: 13| F: +3, R: +2, W: +2| Init: +2| Perc: 0, Bluff: +6, Disg: +14/22| Speed 30ft|

Cassidy and her twin pile into their SMARTcar Fortwo, speeding to their dealer's house, hoping to pick up Nessie. As the real gnome drives, Sadducee tests her own theory and sends the presumptively fake Doctor a text.

Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Eyy G, gnome sayin? send a pic so i know it's real


Those of you who swing by K-Mart to meet up notice that, today, two vulture harpies fly in slow circles directly above the store. This isn't particularly unusual, of course, but it most likely means they've scavenged everything there is to scavenge from the local "T YS R U " (as the unlit sign proudly displayed).

It's around the time that Franklin runs out of energy (and waits five minutes to be able to take another action, then runs out of energy again) that Faith pulls up with her makeshift Blue Light stand.

As imitations go, it's definitely reminiscent, and someone not particularly familiar with K-Mart would have no reason to doubt it would look any different.

Assuming this is where he's headed, Joe steps out of his vehicle around the same time.

It's not too long after that Nessie-- packed into a vehicle designed for two Medium creatures (provided that neither of them is plus-sized)-- is delivered by the gnomish twins, and with that, the gang's all here.

Well, aside from the Docta.

In the meantime, a picture message is sent to Sadducee from Docta G's phone number. See Slide 4.
fa shizzy my gnizzy


Male Human| HP: 10/10 | AC: 17 (11 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +1, CMD: 12 | F: +9, R: +1, W: +5 | Init: +1 | Perc: +3, SM: +3 Cleric/1st| Speed 30ft (40ft) | Active conditions: None.

"Hey y'all", Joe greets his fellow adventurers in a semi-serious tone. "Glad everyone made it. Any more news from 'Docto G'?" The cleric said in 'heavy air-quotes'.


Mindblade Magus 1 | HP 10/10| AC:18 | T:12 | FF:16 | CMB: 0 | CMD: 13| Fort:+3 | Ref:+1 | Will:+3 | Init:+1 | Perc:+2 | Speed 30| DR 2/Piercing| Fire Resistance 5 |Psychic Pool 4/4

"Don't know, haven't paid much attention." Faith pulled out the abomination from the car. It wasn't likely to passmuster, as these things went, but Faith felt she had two advantages. One, she was a convincing liar. And secondly, it made a loud noise. There was a good chance the Goblins would like this one better.

"So, we give them this, get back our rapper, then beat the ever-loving crap out of them to explain you don't do this? I have promised stinging."

151 to 200 of 316 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Diners and Dragons: A Modern Fantasy Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.