WR Waterdeep Dragon Heist

Game Master Spazmodeus

Sewer Search

Hideout Battle


1 to 50 of 415 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Welcome, players. Please dot the thread and then report to the discussion tab.


Male Human; HP-14/14; AC-19; LOH 0/5; INT +2 Paladin / 1; ST+3, DX+2, CO+4, IN-1, WI+4, CH+5; PP 14

"Brother Cloudkeep. You must travel immediately to Waterdeep. Gather some other individuals to assist you... but you must verify the rumor of this vast sum of money available, and ensure that the church of Waukeen receives it's proper and deserved share".


Chapter 1: A friend in need

It's been nearly a year now since your group has started adventuring together. You've had ups and downs, and more than a few moments where you'd thought you might kill one another. Trust was hard won, or perhaps not completely won. But despite all that, you've learned to rely on one another in tight situations.

You've had some interesting times, saved some lives, and even ventured where others dared not. But while your adventuring has been successful--after all, you're all still alive and kicking--it hasn't exactly been profitable.

And that's why you're here in Waterdeep now, right before the start of Winter. The hope is that there will be better paying work closer to the city.

You arrived back in town only this morning, and have had a hell of a time getting in the city--the Waterdhavians love their bureaucracy. Eventually you decided to come to the Yawning Portal, the famed tavern of Waterdeep.


You sit around a sturdy wooden table lit by a brightly burning candle and littered with plates cleared of food and half-drained tankards. The sounds of gamblers yelling and drunken adventurers singing bawdy songs nearly drown out the off-key strumming of a young bard three tables over.

Then all the noise is eclipsed by a shout: “Ya pig! Like killin’ me mates, does ya?”

Then a seven-foot-tall half-orc is hit by a wild, swinging punch from a male human whose shaved head is covered with eye-shaped tattoos. Four other humans stand behind him, ready to jump into the fray. The half-orc cracks her knuckles, roars, and leaps at the tattooed figure — but before you can see if blood is drawn, a crowd of spectators clusters around the brawl. What do you do?


HP 9/9 | AC 15 | Acr +8 Dec +5 Int +5 Inv +3 Perc +2 Pers +5 SoH +13 Stea +6 | Saves: S +0, D* +6, C +1, I* +3, W +0, Ch +3; Adv charm, disease; Imm Sleep | Init +4 | PPerc 12; PInv 13; PIns 10; DrkVis | Spd 30' | Insp: No | HD 1/1 | Status: Normal |

Tania was peeved. The beer was not as good as rumour had it, and it was the third time her wet cigar resisted ignition, leaving her mouth between watery malt and chewed tobaccished brownness. Plus she was not clear on how she would foot her bill for the meal...

So when opportunity decided to knock some teeth, she just smiled, threw the cigar in the beer, and got up to help separate the brawlers, while pawing some ill-supervised coins.

”Cut it out! No, I mean, Stop that!”

SoHand: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17


HP: 9/9. AC: 16(13). 1st Level Spells 0/2

Hob had dropped his fork and gone under the table to fetch it when the atmosphere changed and the beginings of a brawl formed. He didn't want to lose some teeth and wished no one any ill will... and then Tania bravely got involved.

Looking about for information he saw a large half orc and got some inspiration. Behind Tania he started to concentrate as he drew out a piece of fleece. A large half orc with tattoos of wyverns covering it's arms took form behind Tania looking sternly at the commotion, obviously supporting her... if someone decided they didn't like Tania's interference they'd go for her hulking ally first.


Male Human; HP-14/14; AC-19; LOH 0/5; INT +2 Paladin / 1; ST+3, DX+2, CO+4, IN-1, WI+4, CH+5; PP 14

Mitchell alerts at the first signs of the combat. He is hoping to finish his beverage in peace but sighs to himself confident that Tania was about to involve them in a matter that was none of their business.

The tall human rose to his full height, slammed his tankard upon the table and demanded that they cease.

"Take you quarrel outside and let us drink in peace". he commands checking to see if weapons are drawn, and what the fearsome owner of the establishment is doing.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 persuasion (Only Plus 3 if it's intimidation.)


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

"Bets here!" rings out Ellena's voice as she swiftly rises to her feet, tinkling silver in a red velvet pouch. "One to two on the bald human, one to three on the orc!"

As she sees Mitchell, for a long moment she considers throwing him into the betting too. With a soft sigh, she decides otherwise. "Not taking bets for or against the armored guy!"


Tania makes her way towards the front of the fight and looks as if she's attempting to stop the fight. A moment later a facsimile of a person stands just behind her. But before anyone can notice that the illusion isn't blinking, breathing or moving, Mitchell's voice cuts through the din like a thunderclap.

The half-orc glares at the bald-headed man covered in eye tattoos, but remains silent. While the bald man looks as if he's ready to start a fight in earnest. But Mitchell cuts an imposing figure.

"Fine, but this isn't over yet, Yagra. Mark my words there'll be blood on the streets!"

He then reaches for his purse, only to find it isn't there. He seems embarrassed now that he's drawn a sizable crowd, so instead of making another scene, he yells at one of his cronies to leave some coins at the table. They then walk out of the bar.

Yagra turns to your group and says, "Thanks for helping. Although, I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed I didn't get a chance to pummel that twerp."

Tania, I rolled randomly for you, and you earned the max result. You found a belt pouch containing 60 gp.


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

Talliree had slipped out a few minutes before the confrontation and was making her way back in when the large man with eye tattoos on his bald head nearly bowls her over. She opens her mouth but decides against causing a scene when she sees the man's mates come behind him. She was pretty tough, but she wasn't foolish enough to pick a fight when she was outnumbered four to one or more. She finds her companions talking to a half-orc woman inside and raises an eyebrow.

"No Mister Squeaks, I don't know who she is," she mutters to the mouse riding in the hood of her cloak as it chitters at her. Seeing nothing else for it, she walks back to the table they were sitting at and nursing what was left of the watery ale in her tankard.

"Hello," she says to the newcomer before focusing on the others, "what did I miss?"


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

"You, half a fight, me, a chance to make some money." sighs Ellena as the tension defuses. She puts the purse back into place and takes a deck of cards, idly playing with them. She sets down the Knight of Coins pointing at Mitchell, the Knight of Clubs towards Hob, Queen of Cups in Tania's direction and Queen of Swords at Talliree. For herself, she keeps one face-down, and holds up the Joker so that Yagra can see.
"Mind telling us what that was all about, and maybe getting a round as thanks?"


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

"Half a fight? You mean those fellas that were lookin' all 'grr' an' stuff as they moseyed on out? Who pissed in their beer," Talliree asks before realizing that Ellena wasn't paying her attention anymore and was trying to wheedle some free drinks out of the woman that had joined them. She snaps her fingers in front of the trickster's face a slight frown clouding her expression.

"Oi! I know ye think I'm dumb as dirt, but would you mind fillin' in a few details Ms. Fancyfingers? Who's our new friend an' why does she owe us a round," Talliree asks, her tone rather sharp.


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

"Because Cups and Coins here broke up the fight, Swords. As for the who, that's what I was trying to ask, before you craved attention."


Male Human; HP-14/14; AC-19; LOH 0/5; INT +2 Paladin / 1; ST+3, DX+2, CO+4, IN-1, WI+4, CH+5; PP 14

Mitch watches the fight disperse with a nod, then sits back down to his ale, motioning to this Yarga to join them.

He then gives a little sideways glance at Ellena's new nickname for him, then shrugs if off. He's getting used to her weird habits.

A year ago that would have me upset, but good thing I now realize it's just words... She's got my back, and that's what counts.

"Seems to be a bit of a history there huh? Would you like to join us for a bit"?


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

"Well," Talliree says as she turns her head to the newcomer, "sorry about my friend here, she's got a bit of ass in her somewheres. Tall, dark, and clanky over there's decent enough, though he still hasn't learned you by someone a round if you want them to tell ya a story yet." She gives the half-orc a grin and rolls a silver coin she pulled from seemingly nowhere over her fingers. "So, how's about it? I buy ya whatever you want and we can get to know each other and why those nice men who nearly bowled me over on their way out would want to cause you trouble?"

The young woman continues to roll the coin over her knuckles as she speaks and waits for an answer. Every now and then, the coin disappears after going over one knuckle and appears on a completely different knuckle.


HP: 9/9. AC: 16(13). 1st Level Spells 0/2

As the men declared they were leaving and all stormed out the half orc disappeared while all eyes were on those leaving.

Hob appeared and went over to Yagra and the others. "Good use of the bossy voice Mitchel." He beamed up at the big man... it wasn't too much fun being so short in a bar brawl. He pulled out a spare chair at the table for Yagra.


Yagra laughs heartily at the sisterly squabbling.

"You know what, sure thing." She raises a hand and calls out, "Hey, Durnan! This table drinks on me. And bring another round."

She sniffs one of your cups, and crinkles her nose. "On second thought bring a round of Shadowdark ale. Not this cheap crap."

The proprietor Durnan, rolls his eyes, but does as asked. And just a few moments later a halfling brings the drinks around.

Yagra takes an empty chair from another table, and sits down at yours, a mug of Shadowdark in her hands.

"Name's Yagra Stone-fist. I'm a mercenary working for the Zhents--The Black Network. Those idiots were members of the Xanathar Guild, and they tried to blame me for some of their friends dying."

Yagra shrugged and took a heavy quaff of her ale.


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

Talliree grins as she pockets the coin and hears Yarga call out for a round for them, though she's never had Shadowdark Ale. An exploratory sip has the young half-elf's eyes going as wide as saucers. The brew was good, definitely better than the cheap stuff she'd been drinking.

"I think we're going to get along just fine, Yarga. I'm Talliree, though my friends call me Talli. I don't think I've heard of the Xanathar Guild. Are they some kinda cult or something," she asks as she nurses her new drink, determined to make it last a good, long while.


Talliree Yndercook wrote:
"I think we're going to get along just fine, Yarga. I'm Talliree, though my friends call me Talli. I don't think I've heard of the Xanathar Guild. Are they some kinda cult or something."

Yagra laughs uproariously. "A cult! Oh, that's delicious!" She takes a moment to steady her laughing. "Aye, Talli! I don't think I've ever heard of them described as a cult before. But honestly that might be the best description of them I've ever heard. They're supposed to be a thieves guild led by an ancient beholder called Xanathar. Or 'The Xanathar'. I'm not sure which. I don't buy it, personally. But Waterdeep is pretty weird, so who knows."

"But the one thing you can be sure of is that they're all crazy. You saw the one marked with eyeball tatoos, right? That's actually pretty tame. I've seen some of them where hats with googly tentacle eyes sticking off of them. Bloody hysterical."


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

Arcana: what do I know about beholders?: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
History: what do I know about the Zhent?: 1d20 ⇒ 5

Ellena tastes the bitter brew and immediately finds it not to her taste. Still, she takes a big gulp of it, as one should not waste free food or drinks. "And what would it be that you do for the Zhent? That guy seemed to think the matter was pretty personal."


HP: 9/9. AC: 16(13). 1st Level Spells 0/2

"That's a very pertinent question Ellena! Now since you said just before who they were that you are a member of the Zhent before correcting yourself to the Black Network. They blame you for killing their friends. I'm guessing it's because your a member of the Black Network! But Ellena's question is really significant as if they're a bunch of thieves who start bar brawls at the drop of a googly tentacled hat they could have an issue with anyone." Hob leans in, very interested to find out more.


HP 9/9 | AC 15 | Acr +8 Dec +5 Int +5 Inv +3 Perc +2 Pers +5 SoH +13 Stea +6 | Saves: S +0, D* +6, C +1, I* +3, W +0, Ch +3; Adv charm, disease; Imm Sleep | Init +4 | PPerc 12; PInv 13; PIns 10; DrkVis | Spd 30' | Insp: No | HD 1/1 | Status: Normal |

Tania liked the weight of the purse she'd just found. Plus, the crew seemed tight enough, as the others mostly acted as one, and things got defused just like that!

On a high, she rejoins with the others, ready to laugh and buy drinks with ner newfound coins, but the Yagra mentioned the Zhents and she ducked out of the conversation, keeping a safe distance and kind of regretting not catching the Zhent's purse instead...

Keeping a smile frozen on her face, she grabs a chair and listens, but otherwise tries not to draw attention to herself.


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

Would Talliree notice Tania's actions?


For Ellena:

Ellena is aware that Beholders exists. And that they are supposed to be evil, alien creatures. She doesn't remember much else, but she can feel her warlock powers buck wildly for a moment. The Unicorn Queen is clearly displeased by Beholders.

As for the Zhents, the only thing she remembers is that they're also sometimes called the Black Network. And they're usually very agressive merchants, with a reputation for acquiring hard-to-find magical objects.

For Talliree:
I rolled your insight.
Talli doesn't notice Tania being squirrely.

Ellena Garvaneel wrote:
"And what would it be that you do for the Zhent? That guy seemed to think the matter was pretty personal."
Hob Teabadger wrote:
"That's a very pertinent question Ellena! Now since you said just before who they were that you are a member of the Zhent before correcting yourself to the Black Network. They blame you for killing their friends. I'm guessing it's because you're a member of the Black Network! But Ellena's question is really significant as if they're a bunch of thieves who start bar brawls at the drop of a googly tentacled hat they could have an issue with anyone."

"Nah, I haven't killed any of their weirdo friends. I'm just a bodyguard. And, honestly, it's been pretty boring lately. Most people are smart enough not to attack the Black Network.

"And, yeah, Zhents. Zhentarim. Black Network. Whatever. It's the same thing."


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

"Sounds kinda like they were just looking for a fight to pick," Talliree mutters into her mug before taking another sip of her drink. "I... I hate asking this, but those Zany-thumb guys don't have a think against, er... Well..."

For a moment, Talliree looks as young as she is while practically squirming in her seat as she goes through the circumlocutions. Her face even turns a shade of red that can't be explained by the booze.


HP: 9/9. AC: 16(13). 1st Level Spells 0/2

Hob leans in unsure what Talliree is getting at. His brow furrows as he tries to work it out from context. A few ideas came to mind but it was hard to be certain. "Talliree finish your question, it's too open to interpretation unfinished!" Hob shakes his head.


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

Ellena, who unlike Hob has a good idea of what Talliree is trying to infer, smirks under the ale's foam, silently sipping and enjoying the situation.


Male Human; HP-14/14; AC-19; LOH 0/5; INT +2 Paladin / 1; ST+3, DX+2, CO+4, IN-1, WI+4, CH+5; PP 14

Mitchell thanks the new arrival, and nods in appreciation at the taste of the new ale more suitable to his cultured tongue. He appreciates the others as they interface with the woman.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 Insight

He listens carefully to her answers searching for any inconsistencies.

He then speaks quietly as his way when he's not trying to break up a heated situation.

"That's all well and good... but frankly none of our business. Should we involve ourselves more in this squabble than we already have? Seems as though we've already hastily chosen sides, without knowing all the rules of the game".


Yagra stares confused at Talliree for a moment.

"What? With half-orcs, you mean? Pfft! Hell, if I know. Like I said, they're all crazy."

Yagra downs the rest of her drink in one last gulp, as Mitchell speaks.

"Eh. No one cares about the Zanathars. If you really want to fight them though, I might be able to point you in the right direction. Say, any of you want to arm wrestle?"

Shouts of alarm suddenly ring out as a hulking creature climbs up out of the shaft in the middle of the taproom — a monster with warty green skin, a tangled nest of wiry black hair, a long, carrot-shaped nose, and bloodshot eyes. As it bares its yellow teeth and howls, you can see that a half-dozen bat-like creatures are attached to its body, with three more circling above it like flies.

Everyone in the tavern reacts in fear except for the barkeep, Durnan, who shouts, “Troll!”

I'll roll initiative tonight.


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

Talliree, purely red-faced now, nods to confirm Yagra's guess. She sips her ale, glad to let Mitchell taking over the conversation. She didn't really have any reason to fight the Xanathars, but an arm wrestling match could be fun. She opens her mouth, and then comes the ungodly howl and stench of a troll. Talliree's eyes light up as she gives Yarga a wide, wild grin.

"Sure, but only if ya join me for some trollslayin' first!"

Talliree may be just a bit crazy.


Initiative:

Ellena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Hob: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Mitchell: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Talliree: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Tania: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Troll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Stirges: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Durnan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Yagra: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12

Tania: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Mitchell: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Talliree: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19

Troll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Ellena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Stirges: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Yagra: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Hob: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Durnan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Bold are up. There is no map for this encounter. Assume you're all one movement away from the troll. 6 stirges are attached to the troll. The other 3 are flying about 5 feet off the ground.


Almost forgot this.

Mitchell Insight:

Mitchell doesn't get the impression that Yagra is lying about anything in particular. Her slight evasiveness comes across as more of a professional demeanor. In other words, she's just doing her job.


Male Human; HP-14/14; AC-19; LOH 0/5; INT +2 Paladin / 1; ST+3, DX+2, CO+4, IN-1, WI+4, CH+5; PP 14

"Stand aside! All innocents flee the tavern"!

The big Paladin, picks up his trusty family heirloom shield and his sword, and moves towards one of the raging troll.

"This one's mine! Take out the small flying bloodsuckers".

CLOUDKEEP!

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 Long-sword swing

1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 Long-sword cut


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

Bonus: Rage
Move: Run up to Mr. Troll
Action: Slashity-Slash!

"Hey! No fair! There's enough of him to go around," Talliree shouts as she gathers her sword and her grin spreads even wider. She charges in, swinging the blade to send the scabbard flying off somewhere and revealing the blade. She jumps up onto the tables and hops from one to the next before laughing like a mad woman and leaping at the beast. She misses, but that doesn't seem to deter her. She turns to face the troll more squarely and howls with laughter.

"Aw! Is the widdle twoll scared? Don't worry! I can fix that for ya!"

Attack! (Greatsword): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


HP 9/9 | AC 15 | Acr +8 Dec +5 Int +5 Inv +3 Perc +2 Pers +5 SoH +13 Stea +6 | Saves: S +0, D* +6, C +1, I* +3, W +0, Ch +3; Adv charm, disease; Imm Sleep | Init +4 | PPerc 12; PInv 13; PIns 10; DrkVis | Spd 30' | Insp: No | HD 1/1 | Status: Normal |

Tania pulls her weapons as she slides in Mitchell's wake: "No way I'm letting you fight that ugly thing on your own! But you do know these ugly things can kill ya, right? I mean, I've never fought a troll, all I've heard is most who did never told the tale. You get me?"

Staying within five feet of Mitchell or Talliree to sneak attack.
Shortsword with SA: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 231d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + 4 + (6) = 15
Dagger: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 101d4 ⇒ 4

"I bet it felt that one!"


Mitchell, Tania, and Talliree all decide to charge the troll. Talliree's sword skips off the trolls slippery skin, leaving no effect. But both Mitchell and Tania make up for it with their slashes.

Troll Bite vs. Tania: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10; Miss
Troll Claw vs. Talliree: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15; Miss
Troll Claw vs. Mitchell: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22; Hit! 11 Damage

The troll goes into a blood frenzy and attacks all of the heroes that have brazenly moved into its range. But only Mitchell takes a serious hit.

Round 1, cont.
Tania: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Mitchell: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Talliree: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Troll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Ellena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Stirges: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Yagra: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Hob: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Durnan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Ellena is up

GM Only:

Troll HP 33/84
Stirge (9)


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

Ellena stands up and reaches for her necklace, where a crystal is embedded, shining in all the colors of the iris. "I'll take the gift you offer, Lurue" she whispers to herself, as she channels the Unicorn Queen's power towards the flying creatures.
"Don't disturb them if they fall, they're just asleep!"

Casting sleep, putting to sleep for a minute 5d8 ⇒ (8, 6, 2, 2, 4) = 22 HP's worth of creatures, starting with the ones with the lowest HP.


All nine of the stirges are put asleep and fall to the ground, including the six that were feeding off the troll.

Yagra ignores Ellena's warning and smashes a stirge with her mace. It explodes in an almost absurd gush of blood, and the mercenary cackles in joy.

Round 1, cont. to Round 2
Tania: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 
Mitchell: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19 
Talliree: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19 

Troll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 
Ellena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16 
Stirges: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 
Yagra: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12 
Hob: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 
Durnan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

GM Only:

Troll HP 33/84 
Stirge (8) 

Bold are up.


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

Greatsward to da face!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 Maaaaaybe?
Damage: 2d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 3 + 2 = 10

Undaunted by her earlier failure, Talliree swings her blade around and tries to open up the troll's face. Her swing is wild and she hasn't quite set her feet when she begins it.


Male Human; HP-14/14; AC-19; LOH 0/5; INT +2 Paladin / 1; ST+3, DX+2, CO+4, IN-1, WI+4, CH+5; PP 14

"Off"! That ugly thing hits hard. Don't think I can handle another one of those.

"Die you ugly beast... or flee! You don't belong here, and you shall not snack upon anyone here".

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 Longsword swing.

1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 Longsword hit.


HP: 9/9. AC: 16(13). 1st Level Spells 0/2

Hob starts casting grease on the ground at the troll's feet. "I'm going to cover the ground at it's feet in grease, someone give him a good shove!"

Dexterity Saving Throw DC13 or the troll falls prone


Hob Teabadger wrote:

Hob starts casting grease on the ground at the troll's feet. "I'm going to cover the ground at it's feet in grease, someone give him a good shove!"

The troll manages to stay on its feet, despite the arcane sludge on the ground.

Durnan grabs a greatsword from somewhere behind his bar. He then easily leaps over it and lands next to the troll.

Durnan sword 1 vs. Troll: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Durnan sword 2 vs. Troll: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15; Hit!
Durnan sword 3 vs. Troll: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17; Hit!
Durnan sword 4 vs. Troll: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Despite Durnan's onslaught, the troll is still on its feet. Then Mitchell and Talli both attack the odorous monster, but their attacks land awkwardly in the mass of grimy, wet flesh, and fail to cut it.

"Fire! We need fire! There's lamp oil on the tables!" Durnan cries out.

Round 2, Cont.
Tania: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Mitchell: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Talliree: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Troll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Ellena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Stirges: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Yagra: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Hob: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Durnan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

GM Only:

Troll HP 11/84
Stirge (8) asleep

Tania is up.


HP 9/9 | AC 15 | Acr +8 Dec +5 Int +5 Inv +3 Perc +2 Pers +5 SoH +13 Stea +6 | Saves: S +0, D* +6, C +1, I* +3, W +0, Ch +3; Adv charm, disease; Imm Sleep | Init +4 | PPerc 12; PInv 13; PIns 10; DrkVis | Spd 30' | Insp: No | HD 1/1 | Status: Normal |

Tania spins under Durnan's sword, then bolts forward, dagger dropping and shortsowrd rising between the troll's legs.

Shortsword with SA: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 201d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (6) = 13
Dagger: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 211d4 ⇒ 1

"You heard the man! Fire!" she calls out.

Remember I'm away with little access. Bot as needed.


With a perfectly aimed strike of Tania's short sword, the troll falls to the ground. It looks dead for a moment, but then rises awdwardly to its feet.

This time it focuses its fury on the bartender, Durnan, and his wicked blade.

Troll Bite vs. Durnan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24; Hit!
Troll Claw vs. Durnan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Troll Claw vs. Durnan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23; Hit!

Durnan grunts but otherwise holds his ground.

Troll Dex Save DC 13 : 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The troll overextends itself, slips and falls onto the grease.

Round 2, Cont.
Tania: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Mitchell: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Talliree: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Troll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Ellena: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Stirges: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 Asleep
Yagra: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Hob: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Durnan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

GM Only:

Troll HP 10/84
Stirge (8) asleep
Durnan HP 126/144

Bold are up. The troll is prone. Melee attacks have advantage. Ranged attacks have disadvantage.


HP: 9/9. AC: 16(13). 1st Level Spells 0/2

Hob hurls a bolt of fire toward the ground as he unleashed it too hurriedly... but it richoceted off a fork on the floor heading towards the trolls head! Unfortunately it got batted away in a fluke glancing blow against a weapon in the melee.
Firebolt*: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Firebolt... with disadvantage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
*Reroll Natural 1s!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

Lamp oil on the table, I need to light it with- Ah! Moving back to her place, Ellena looks at the candles illuminating the place, and snatches one of them as she grasped the lamp oil, taking care as best as she can not to let out the fire. Instead, she tentatively tip-toes towards the troll and douses it in fuel, before lowering the wick towards the flammable body.


Male Human; HP-14/14; AC-19; LOH 0/5; INT +2 Paladin / 1; ST+3, DX+2, CO+4, IN-1, WI+4, CH+5; PP 14

Seeing that the others are trying to keep the troll down, Mitchell is not too proud to sheath his weapon, and grab the nearest lamp with oil to toss at the troll.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15 Thrown oil lamp (I'm assuming no proficiency bonus, but he would try to get close enough to make missing near impossible).


Ellena and Mitchell douse the troll in oil. Then Ellena drops the candle on the troll setting it on fire.

Durnan laughs when the troll starts to squeal in pain. And with a series of slices he renders the troll into quivering, burning jelly. After he is sure that the troll is truly dead, he turns to you all and says matter-of-factly, “You fought well.”

He then wipes his sword on his apron and heads back behind the bar. He calls out orders to have the troll remnants cleaned up and continues with his work.

Meanwhile, Yagra is having a grand time smashing the sleeping stirges.

Combat over.


Female Half-Elf Barbarian HP: 15/15 | AC: 16 | Saves: STR* +5 DEX +3 CON* +5 INT +1 WIS +1 CHA +3 | Perception: +3, Investigate: +1, Insight: +1 | Rage: 0/2 Status:

Talliree turns, looking for another foe to test her mettle against, but finds that the fight's already over. Looking a little dejected she lowers her sword and nudges one of the dead stirges with her toe.

"Aw, that was over way too quick."


Female Human Bard 1 | HP 10/10 | AC: 13 | Saves: Str -1, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +0, Wis -1, Cha +6 | Rapier +4 (1d8+2), Shortbow +4 (1d6+2) | Init: +2 | Passive Perception 9, Investigation 10, Insight 9 | Spell DC 14

Resolving to never try the three-coins trick with Durnan, Ellena looks at the mess with disgust and waits until her breath steadies and her hands stop shaking.

"I couldn't disagree more, Swords. Where the heck did that come from, and why's everyone acting like it was an everyday occurrence? People usually have rats in their basement, not trolls!"

1 to 50 of 415 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Waterdeep Dragon Heist All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.