Rappan Athuk [Pf]

Game Master Chris Manos

Day 8, ~3pm.
Wilderness Map.
Rappan Athuk on Roll20


1,301 to 1,350 of 2,389 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>

Male Human Fighter (Unbreakable 5)
AC/HP/SAVES/INIT:
24(12 touch)/33(50[60])/7-2,3,2/6

Not alone.

Reynaud starts stripping too.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Belle and Tony:
Belle and Tony manage to get the key and open the mausoleum. Inside, the secret door is, thankfully, still open and the rope is tied around the sarcophagus. They climb down and make their way back to their companions without incident.

Belle Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
Belle Tony: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Garrosh Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
Reynaud Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Agyen Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25
Brodin Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

Just as Garrosh and Reynaud finish removing their armor, he and Brodin hear noise from back the way they came. Taking position opposite Reynaud, flanking the door, they prepare for melee, while Brodin and Agyen take up position farther back.

And then Belle and Tony appear from the way they came.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Wandering Monsters: 1d20 ⇒ 10

And since it has most likely been more than a half hour.

Belle Fort Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20, Garrosh Fort Save: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14, Reynaud Fort Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25, Agyen Fort Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13, Tony Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12, Brodin Fort Save: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

It must be that you have all gotten used to the foul air down here. None of you are overcome with the distraction of the stench.


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"Oh my gosh! I'm so glad we got here in time. That place..."

she points to the tunnel

"...is an absolute warren. If you go in there is no telling where you come out. I was lucky and came out above. Tony says he saw a huge mass of rats but he ended up upside too. Good thing they did not spot him!"

"I do have some very bad news though. When we got up top the door was sealed and we had to get the key again. I'm going to bet that if we return up top right now the door will be sealed. We may HAVE to use the rat warrens to get out of here and take our chances."

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8

"Let's worry about that another day. We still have an easily navigable tunnel to explore, who knows? There may be an easy way out down there. I'm just glad your safe. If ye'd gotten yourself murdered, I'd have killed ye."


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"Kill me! Oh, I'd make you pay for that! This is NOT a good place for killing someone, or haven't you noticed yet?"

A wry smile lifts one side of her face. The same side as the eyebrow she usually raises.


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

"Kay, so which way? I'd say maybe find another route to that warren and clear it out so we can escape easier. But that is dependent if we have large scale destruction available. Cause all I can think of at the moment is Belle's grease spell and my alchemist fire."

Tony is worried, with all the heavy resistance on just the first floor, if they can challenge it now.

"Question. How ready are we right now? Spells, arrows. That sort of thing?


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"Well, if we took a break I could copy that burning hands into my spell book and memorize it. That would help. Probably not enough though from the sounds of things. We might need to wait until I'm capable of casting a fireball. How about you, Agyen?"

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8

"Not sure that burning hands will cut it, its too close a range. Fireball might though. I can take out the ratmen and anything else that survives a fireball, and Garrosh and Reynaud can mop up."

Boy do we need a blaster mage. Magnus, where are you?


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Belle's getting there. The nice thing is all she needs are copies in her spellbook and she becomes a blaster mage. Agyen will have access to a nice 30' cone spell at 6th level which will provide two blast spells between us.

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8

There's a lot more to it than that, but its always useful to have a few blast spells in reserve


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Point taken. DC, reduced metamagic costs, and bonus spell levels make a true blaster. Belle is focused on conjuration, not evocation. But I didn't think that is what you meant when you asked for a 'blaster', though maybe I should have known; I figured you meant just any old mage that could do a bunch of damage in an area removed from the party (the later half of you sentence).


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Deciding to push on, the group forms up and heads off down the hallway. A short distance down, Tony notices something odd about the right hand wall about fifty feet in front of him. He cautiously approaches and examines it, determining it is a secret door. No magical aurae are detected on the door, nor does Tony detect traps, or hear anything beyond.

To the south, the passage continues, but reverts to rough stone. Reynaud brings his light forward, a couple dire rats look up at the approaching group.

Secret door or continue down the passage?


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

How can we resist a secret door!


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

Tony quietly opens the door to peer in.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

A narrow, natural passage descends in a series of irregular steps into the darkness, turning slightly to the left. The stench of death is eminent.

I have a horrendous headache right now, and need to head out. I'll update tomorrow, assuming Tony leads the way.

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8

Are we ready to go deeper? Or should we wait until we've leveled up?

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8
Belle PBP wrote:
Point taken. DC, reduced metamagic costs, and bonus spell levels make a true blaster. Belle is focused on conjuration, not evocation. But I didn't think that is what you meant when you asked for a 'blaster', though maybe I should have known; I figured you meant just any old mage that could do a bunch of damage in an area removed from the party (the later half of you sentence).

Well...That's what I meant, but I'd happily settle for a caster with a blast spell. I'm not that picky, lol.


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

"Guys, this smells like zombie. Give me a sec, and if I scream...avenge me." Tony quietly descends, using the maximum of his skills to avoid detection. He goes slowly to not trigger anything.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rappan Athuk on roll20.net
Brodin RockHammer wrote:
Are we ready to go deeper? Or should we wait until we've leveled up?

You just hit 5th level.

Tony Stealth: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Tony creeps down the stairs, blending into the darkness. Even with Reynaud and Belle at the top of the stairs, they cannot hear him after he turns the corner, out of the light.

Tony finds the end of the steps soon enough, opening into a worked stone chamber, rectangular in shape. In one corner stands a chest, closed. In the other corner, a dark crack leads to an even darker passage. A quick scan of the area at the end of the steps reveals no obvious traps.


|| Loot List || Male half-orc Bloodrager 1 / Inquisitor 1 / Fighter 1 || AC 18, touch 13, flat-footed 15 (+5 armor, +3 Dex) hp 27/27 || Fort +10, Ref +5, Will +6; +1 trait bonus vs. aberrations || Init +3 (rolls twice); Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +8

Garrosh waits patiently.


Male Human Fighter (Unbreakable 5)
AC/HP/SAVES/INIT:
24(12 touch)/33(50[60])/7-2,3,2/6

Reynaud leans against the wall and begins muttering a prayer for Tony's safety under his breath.

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8

Brodin begins scowling fiercely, fingering his bowstring nervously while he waits.


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Belle looks longingly at the exit.


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

Tony carefully heads to the corner with the nest passage way. He peers through the crack, to get an idea of what's down that way. Learning what he can be quickly makes his way back to alert the group.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Quietly slipping over to the crack, Tony peers in. The first thing he notices is the stench just got one hundred times worse. The second thing he notices is the form of a man in the crack. As Tony's form is backlit by the dim light of Reynaud's ioun torch, the man's head jerks up. "Oh my gods! You found me! You're so intelligent and perceptive! I've been in here for ages and I am....so hungry!" Tony immediately realizes the stench is emanating from the humanoid form in the crack, an undead creature!

COMBAT INITIATED

Tony, please roll me a DC 15 Fortitude save. If you fail, please look under the spoiler.

If Tony Fails his Save:
Sickened for : 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 minutes. Sickened

Tony, because you were stealthing, you surprised it and get a single action before initiative.

INITIATIVE

The Rolls:
Tony Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Reynaud Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Belle Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Agyen Initiative: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (8) - 4 = 4
Brodin Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Garrosh Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Undead Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Surprise Round -
* Tony 1 action
Round 1 -
* undead creature
* everyone else in whatever order you post.

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8

Are we aware of the creature? If not I suggest Tony screams or shouts for help. We should be aware of something then.


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

I'm just nervous the dang thing paralyzed him. As long as he can move he should be able to call for help and beat-feet it back towards us.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Considering the base DC is 0 to hear someone speaking, minus distance, I think it is safe to say you hear the creature speak.


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

"BY THE GODS!", Tony screams.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

As an ill wave overcomes Tony, he bolts back up the stair case. Drawing his new magic dagger and a cold iron dagger with it.


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

When the time comes, do we need a knowledge religion roll to identify it?


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

Pretty, sure all undead fall under religion checks.


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Might as well just make it. All of my knowledge skills are +9 anyway. Too bad I forgot to cast heightened awareness.

preemptive knowledge check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Ugh.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Undead Bites at Tony: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 damage, if hit.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

"So smart to find me in my hidey-hole!, the creature says as it follows after Tony, lunging to bite him when he catches up. Fortunately, Tony dodges away from the creature's filthy teeth.

COMBAT CONTINUES
Round 1 -
* everyone else in whatever order you post.

I have put the creature's aura up in Roll20. Anyone approaching into that aura needs to give me a DC 15 Fortitude save. If you fail, please look under this spoiler

Fail your Fort Save:
You are sickened for 1d6+4 [u]minutes[u/]. Please roll your own duration.

Belle, please feel free to look under the first spoiler below. Anyone else with Religion can roll it as well.

DC 12 Religion check:
The creature looks like a ghoul, an undead creature that feeds on the flesh of the dead. They are undead, can see well in the dark, and have standard undead defenses.

If your Religion check beats a 17:
The creature is actually a ghast, a more powerful version of a ghoul. As standard ghouls do, ghasts attacks cause a form of rigor mortis, paralyzing even elves, and their bite can cause those bitten to turn into a ghoul. Also, the stench of death surrounding the ghast can cause sickness in those close to the creature.

If your Religion check beats a 22:
Ghouls and ghasts are particularly resistant to the holy channeling of priests.


Male Human Fighter (Unbreakable 5)
AC/HP/SAVES/INIT:
24(12 touch)/33(50[60])/7-2,3,2/6

Foul thing. You won't have him!

Fotitude: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Sickened, Dammit: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10Oooh boy
Reynaud succumbs to the creature's nasty aura, but soldiers on to the best of his ability anyway.
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Reynaud's attack hits the creature, carving a bloodless wound in its flesh. The creature bares it's teeth and hisses at the warrior.


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"Looks similar to the ghouls we fought."

Belle will cast Grease under the nasty slimey thing. DC 19.

The grease area is the purple box.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Reflex Save DC 19: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

Tony rips into the slobbering ghoul thing. Full Attack

Magic Dagger: 1d20 + 10 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 10 - 2 = 25
DMG: 1d4 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Dagger: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 2 = 21
DMG: 1d4 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Tony does a quick step away as he call out to "Garrosh!"


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Garrosh barely has time to react as Tony rips into the creature, his first strike eviscerates the creature. He reverses the dagger in his hand and his second strike pierces the creature's eye, penetrating deep into the creature's skull. With a spray of rotting grey matter, the creature slides off the dagger and collapses to the rough steps, dead, again.


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

"...Nevermind. Tony pulls out a vial of Holy Water and splashes it on the creature just in case.

"Ugh, these things freak me out to much. There is a cheats down the way a bit. I'll open it up, just stay at the ready.

Tony cautiously walks around the corpse, still sicked. And weakly magics his theives tools open to the chest. Wary of anything popping out.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Tony examines the chest and finds no traps. Those who can examine the aurae around the chest and detects three aurae emanating from inside the chest; faint transmutation, faint conjuration, faint illusion. Not detecting any traps and assured that the magical aurae are not of a trap nature, Tony opens the chest revealing a pile of copper and gold coins, that will take quite a while to count. The magical aurae seem to be emanating from within the lid of the chest.

Grand Lodge

Male Init+2, Per+13 Dwarf Monk (Zen Archer) 5 AC22 (T22 FF20) HP52/52 F/R/W8/7/10 ki 6/8

"Now, that's more like it! Now we have something to show for our troubles."


Female NG Elf Arcanist (White Mage) 5 | HP: 47/47 | AC: 18 (15 FF, 13 Tch, 17 incorporeal touch) | CMB:+2, CMD:155 | F:/R/W:+3/5/5, +2 vs. encht | Init: +5 | Speed 30ft | Appraise +10, Know (all) +9, Ling +10, Perc +11, SpCft +13(15) | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

"Nice, as long as its not cursed or something. Think of all the nice gear we can buy now! Um, did you know that there are some auras in the lid? Perhaps there's a secret compartment! I just hope its not some trap creature. I heard there are creatures that can pretend to be treasure. Do be careful!"


U. Rogue 5| HP 30/37| AC 21 (T16 F15)| Saves F:4 R:10 W:5| INIT: +5| CMB: +3 CMD: 15| Preception: +8 (+10 in dim/darkness)

Tony hearing there is a secret compartment in the lid, is just about to fiddle with it. When he hears of a possible sneaky creature, he pulls his magic knife to try and pry/stab his way into the compartment.


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Tony Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12


Rappan Athuk on roll20.net

Tony searches the lid but is unable to find any sign of a secret compartment, let alone a mechanism to open it. Shrugging, he begins to pry at the iron bindings holding the wood together.

Tony Wisdom: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

1,301 to 1,350 of 2,389 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Rappan Athuk All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.