Nightflier's Midnight Game Thread

Game Master nightflier

Set in the grim world of Aryth, Nightflier's Midnight is a game that speaks of almost futile hope that shines against the darkness.


5,301 to 5,350 of 6,403 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>

"It is a place of power, it certainly draws all kinds of attention, so it is not unlikely for all these things to be at the same place. If the one we seek is sleeping for centuries, then he might need something to sustain him during this unnatural sleep. He might be somehow inside the nexus. And I think that Dracarys just happens to be at the same place. Maybe Dracarys is his blade, calling to us...


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

Ilona listen's quietly to the conversation between ghosts as she dons her armor. Walking up alongside Ragnar she slips her hand inside his with a smile.

"You're cute when you're sleeping."


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

Ragnar blinks at Ilona like she had told him he had grown a second head.

Dark Archive

Solvi, you may roll Wisdom one additional time in order to learn the precise location of the nexus.

Dark Archive

Chops and Lyj have disappeared, it seems. I'm gonna give them a bit more time, till the end of the day, and then I'm gonna continue with the game. The wait has been more than long enough. Chops has been the regular player from the start and regular poster, so I'm a bit worried here.


Still here. Chops is just sort of standing around looking tough.


nightflier wrote:
Solvi, you may roll Wisdom one additional time in order to learn the precise location of the nexus.

WIS check 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Dark Archive

Solvistania Elghreah wrote:
nightflier wrote:
Solvi, you may roll Wisdom one additional time in order to learn the precise location of the nexus.
WIS check 1d20+1

Solvi:
You concentrate and suddenly you feel a pull... You mind leaves your body and hurls itself downwards, through the stone. You feel the pull of fire and molten stone and the energy created by the currents of magma deep in the bowels of the mountains. You realize that the nexus is straight beneath your feet, almost five miles down.
Dark Archive

Some time after Solvi tries to pin-point the nexus...

A sound of footsteps announces that someone is coming down the corridor. A few moments after that, several slight dwarves, armed with those strange blade appear and fan in front of you. Behind them comes the Speaker. She walks slowly, as if very tired, and her blind-looking eyes move from one Bonebearer to the other.

"We have read your thoughts. We know your minds. But we are still undecided what to do about the dead-spawn. There is a solution, though..." For a time she is silent, obviously thinking how to say what she has to say. "But firstly, tell me once again what do you want from us, why are you here?"

Dark Archive

The strange dwarf woman looks at Chops and points the finger at him. "You, boy. Why have you come to this place?"


Grunting and pointing at himself, Chops replies. "Uh. Me?"

Old Dwarven:
"I was traveling with my companions, trying to escape some undead king's servant when we were beset by an army of mushrooms and an army of undead. He fled the battleground while still unnoticed and ended up here. I have no reason for being here other than it is not there."


Male Tiefling (Daemon-Spawn) Arcanist 1

Lyj, quiet for some time, watches the unfolding scene. With so little information to go on, the tiefling seems to be having trouble knowing what move to make in this company of strange folk - especially with new powers and revelations happening nearly every minute. His piercingly intelligent gaze continues to sweep the room, waiting for the right moment to make his contribution.

Dark Archive

The Speaker looks at Ilona and raises her eyebrow. "And you, why have you came to the depths of the earth?"


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

Ilona takes a step forward, her voice calm yet carrying an intensity of spirit that is unmistakable.

"We were given a task, to find one who sleeps and may have the power to help us fight the darkness that seeps through everything like a poison. It led us here. We stand together and fight together against the shadow because somebody has to."

Diplomacy1d20 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20


Duncan steps up to stand shoulder to shoulder with Ilona.
"Now we sense that what we seek is somewhere under us. We would kindly ask for your permission to enter the tunnels and find it. You already know that we mean no harm, and that we stand for the light. The time has come for light to stand up to darkness once more. You can help us and be a part of it, for I sense wisdom in your people, and strength as well, for you have survived all these years surrounded by enemies.

So that is what we seek. To help bring new dawn on this world."
Diplomacy, aid another 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19

Dark Archive

The Speaker looks at Ilona and frowns a bit. "Something rings false in your words, girl. I can't put my finger on it, but I can feel you trying to hard to sound honest. Hmmm... Your thoughts are in accordance to what you are saying, but thoughts can be trained to obey the subconsciousness mind... That is true, yes... Yes..."

She turns to Solvi. "And what do you seek here? I can sense the power in your blood, but I can feel the darkness in you as well. Is there none of you who is pure?"

Dark Archive

All who haven't rolled Diplomacy, do so now, please. Duncan, your first roll was to help Ilona. Now roll for yourself.


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
nightflier wrote:
Is there none of you who is pure?"

"I am... tainted... by what the forces of the Dark One have done to me, but I try to live as though I was not." Ragnar says uncertainly. "I am not pure, but I believe my intentions are."

Ragnar might fit that best. He's child-like in a lot of ways and is a hard-core idealist from being raised on legends of heroism. I know my character sheet says he's neutral good, but I've been playing him as Lawful Good for a long time now. I just left Neutral up there because he's a bit ambivalent about life and death (not from any moral standpoint. He just doesn't quite get it.)

1d20 ⇒ 19


Solvistania stares at the Speaker with a cool look in her blood red eyes. ”I make no excuses for the taint in my blood. There are few sources of pure goodness left in Eredane. As for what I search for, it is the same thing you search for…power. Power to defeat the Shadow and those behind it!”

Diplomacy 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
nightflier wrote:
Is there none of you who is pure?"

"I am... tainted... by what the forces of the Dark One have done to me, but I try to live as though I was not." Ragnar says uncertainly. "I am not pure, but I believe my intentions are."

Ragnar might fit that best. He's child-like in a lot of ways and is a hard-core idealist from being raised on legends of heroism. I know my character sheet says he's neutral good, but I've been playing him as Lawful Good for a long time now. I just left Neutral up there because he's a bit ambivalent about life and death (not from any moral standpoint. He just doesn't quite get it.)

1d20

I've always imagined Ragnar as Lawful, perhaps something like Worf from Star Trek. :) The thing is that your path is villainous and you are surrounded by undead, so you have strong aura of evil around you. That's why the dwarves are careful to trust you, although they can obviously read your thoughts. And roll Diplomacy with Paizo's roller, please. There is always a chance of natural 1 or 20.

Dark Archive

Solvistania Elghreah wrote:

Solvistania stares at the Speaker with a cool look in her blood red eyes. ”I make no excuses for the taint in my blood. There are few sources of pure goodness left in Eredane. As for what I search for, it is the same thing you search for…power. Power to defeat the Shadow and those behind it!”

Diplomacy 1d20+2

"Power is dangerous thing, young one. It corrupts even those strong in will and mind. Your will may be strong, but I sense fractures in your mind that are beyond even my power to heal."

Dark Archive

She glances at Sorok next. "You look as our ancestors of old. I sense that the blood is strong in you. Have you felt the call of the Old King, perhaps?"


Male Black Blood Dwarf Fighter 5

Old Dwarven:
"I know not of the Old King. I've seen first hand the Shadow's forces. Something must change before the Shadow devours us all! I owed them my life for intervening in a fate worse than death, I traveled with them here because of that."

As a black blood Dwarf Sorok has the Hidden Taint racial trait. "Although thoroughly corrupted by Izrador’s will, the insidious nature of the Black Bloods taint is in its subtlety. As a result all Black Blood Dwarves always fail to register as evil for spells and effects." If that makes a difference.
1d20 - 2 ⇒ (20) - 2 = 18

Dark Archive

Sorok Hamfael wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

As a black blood Dwarf Sorok has the Hidden Taint racial trait. "Although thoroughly corrupted by Izrador’s will, the insidious nature of the Black Bloods taint is in its subtlety. As a result all Black Blood Dwarves always fail to register as evil for spells and effects." If that makes a difference.
1d20-2

Natural 20! That's what I'm talking about.

"Yes, yes..", the old woman murmurs. "You may know nothing of the Old King, but you bear striking resemblance to the Mountain Kings of old, their countenance preserved in our crystals. Yes, perhaps you are the one foretold..."

Dark Archive

The Speaker stands silently for a moment, and then her gaze falls on Gilian. "The earth... The earth is strong in you. I can feel the green of your thoughts. If I would offer you the knowledge of healing, such as you could never find on you own, would you leave that one over there?" She points at Ragnar.


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2
nightflier wrote:

roll Diplomacy with Paizo's roller, please. There is always a chance of natural 1 or 20.[/ooc]

I did. That's what the number below my last post was. Guess i should have labeled it.

Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
nightflier wrote:

roll Diplomacy with Paizo's roller, please. There is always a chance of natural 1 or 20.[/ooc]

I did. That's what the number below my last post was. Guess i should have labeled it.

Oh, OK. My bad.


Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 18


Diplomacy 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33


Male Tiefling (Daemon-Spawn) Arcanist 1

Diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5
nightflier wrote:
The Speaker stands silently for a moment, and then her gaze falls on Gilian. "The earth... The earth is strong in you. I can feel the green of your thoughts. If I would offer you the knowledge of healing, such as you could never find on you own, would you leave that one over there?" She points at Ragnar.

Gilian stares silently at the Speaker for a long time, as if her brain had stopped for a moment. Then something breaks her immobility and one tear appears and rolls on her cheek. Then, as she cannot stand it any more, her mask shatters and she bursts out laughing. Her voice is bright and the laugh rolls like an aria, finding echoes in the bare room. When it eventually dies away, Gilian wipes away some tears.

"Is that supposed to be a trick question ? Have you not read my mind ? Have you not seen how many times I've prevented him from dying, giving some of my strength so that he may live ? Can you believe one minute I would exchange any of my companions for mere power ?"

In the last word, there is more than contempt, just a hint of a crack in the voice.

"Have you not seen in my mind what my mother became, when she sacrificed everything for power. So hear my words and read my mind: NO, I WOULD NOT."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

Ragnar says nothing, but puts his hand on the group's diminutive leader in quiet thanks.

Dark Archive

The Speaker nods. She is silent for a while. Then she sighs. "An accordance has been achieved among the council. You may enter the Last City. But there is a condition. The Necromancer and the Seductress must limit themselves. The Necromancer stinks of evil, and she of lust. If those two accept Collars of Suppression, they may enter the city. The rest of you are not subject to this. You are all welcome as you are." She stops for a heartbeat, and then she continues. "I see the questions in your minds. The Collars are not harmful in any way to those who wear them. We use them as a training tool for the channelers who can not control their powers. While you wear the Collars, you will loose the power to channel and the other arcane abilities that you may have."

That means - your paths won't work. Ragnar will become ordinary young man, without any ghosts as long as he wears the Collar. He will detect as Good with Lawful tendencies.


Male Tiefling (Daemon-Spawn) Arcanist 1
nightflier wrote:
The Speaker nods. She is silent for a while. Then she sighs. "An accordance has been achieved among the council. You may enter the Last City. But there is a condition. The Necromancer and the Seductress must limit themselves. The Necromancer stinks of evil, and she of lust. If those two accept Collars of Suppression, they may enter the city. The rest of you are not subject to this. You are all welcome as you are."

Lyj's eyelids flicker at this, and he does what he can to carefully control his thoughts. Interesting that there should be a place where one like himself can pass unhindered, where the Dorn should be collared and suppressed.

Dark Archive

"So, what have you decided? Will you come with us, or will you stay here?"


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

Ragnar looks around at his friends, both living and dead. "As long as it will not harm any of them, I will do it, but only on my honor will it stay. One of this company will keep it's key. I trust them, and I will not willingly give the control of my bondage over to those that fear me."


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5

Gilian had waited for Ragnar to reach a decision and she nods as he accepts this sacrifice.

"Before you use it Ragnar, let me try it. I want to make sure our abilities come back when we take it off. Then I'll keep the key for you, if you agree."

Dark Archive

Speaker smiles slightly and produces a thin iron collar, seemingly without hinges. She opens it and gives it to Gilian. "There is no key. Only a Speaker of the Council may open it and close it. If you wish to do so, you must become the member of the Council. Here, try it."

No matter how much effort Gilian puts into it, she can not force the collar to close.


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

"You show us nothing but distrust yet ask us to trust that these will not harm us or attempt to control us. You claim our abilities will return when removed yet endure that should you wish they could remain on indefinitely. You claim to be people of honor. Then on your honor swaer to us that these will not be used to harm us and will be removed when we leave your city or gain your trust, whichever comes first."

Dark Archive

The Speaker looks at Ilona and smiles. Grimly. "You need us. We do not need you. If you wish to enter our city, you will be our guests. And you will need to obey our rules. You want us to accept a person surrounded by host of ghosts, reeking of evil? Why should we? We have endured in the dark beneath the mountains for thousands of years and visitors from above brought us only grief. But, I will swear if you wish - I will swear by the Sun and the Moon that the only harm you will come to in the Last City will be the harm that you bring on yourself. I will swear that the Collars will be removed from your necks the moment you leave our city's borders. Now, I am old and I don't have the time to bandy words in the Outer Halls. Make your decision - now."


Orcish:
"This is some b$*!%*%+. I understand the paranoia, but it goes both ways. We can't trust them to take the collars off...and what happens if we get stuck in some situation and they can't take them off? We are stuck between two hard places. I am tempted to go back to the hard place we know, and have all of us full powered."


Solvistania inwardly seethes with anger, barely concealed but the look in her eyes would flash fry a bunny in about two seconds. To be rebuked by this....this...person was a personal affront to her ego.

She bites her tongue, knowing she still needed access to reach the Nexus, now so close she could taste the power emananting from it like the Wellspring of Life itself!

Durathoin's words uttered in the harsh Orcish tongue brings her back to the present, and she lays a slender, delicate hand on his arm, silently urging him to silence.

We will escape these creatures, uncollared, if I have to blast this Last City to ash!


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

Ragnar takes on a solemn tone, obviously reaching some decision. He was meant to be a speaker for his people. One who sees to the heart of things and shows people the reflections of themselves that they would rather not see. A speaker for those who have no words. So he speaks.

"You blame the victims and fear that the enemy sends us to weaken you. I lived in such a city once. The spirits that follow me and the evil I carry are the products of the pride and faith that the outside held nothing for my people. We were warned. We turned away those that wished us no ill. Now I am all that is left. You claim you do not need us, but that is not true. You need what we represent. Either you are willing to help those in need, without dressings of bondage, or you are simply waiting behind your walls and hoping they do not fall before you rot from within."

He speaks sadly, with great loss in his voice and nothing but pity for the Last City.

"I hope you do not choose as we did. Or as Cale or Highwall did. Your fear and pride are the tools of the Namestealer, and they will be the doors through which he enters. No one with a prayer of standing against Him would ask people at their gates to collar themselves before being given shelter. The Skeleton King asked for the bondage of Solvistania and myself. Our resistance brought us here where you do the same. The only difference is that when we refused him he sought to kill us. You will merely leave us to die. What would you do? What would you think of such a choice, or the people who offered it?"


Male Black Blood Dwarf Fighter 5

As Ragnar finishes, Sorok steps forward to the speaker a with a sigh. A distant and somewhat sad expression clouds his face.
"We Dwarves are a proud race, war is our craft and it makes us strong. We face our problems stoically, capably, but alone. I've seen many who'd rather die, than call fer aid. More so from outsiders. It is through this that the Shadow's armies have destroyed so much. We offer yer city what aid we can."

Sorok turns to Ragnar
"Lad, I know yer no' likin it. Me neither. But ye've got t' understand, few could get near ye and no' run. It's easy t' forget with all o' them around ye. Still no' sure how they do it. I keep me distance now." He gestures to the rest of the group. He sets down Umbra and his shield. And walks over to Ragnar.
Will save:1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 4 = 19
The familiar chill of the specters come and his hairs stand up on end. But he set his will and resisted the temptation to break and run, and instead places a hand on the huge Dorn's shoulder.
"Ye say yer pride an' fear were yer people's faults, take yer first step an' show em yer better."


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

Ragnar shakes his head in somber disagreement. "By putting on a collar? How would that make me better than those who died? There were dwarves who lived in Nalford. Every one of them would have rather have died than wear a collar."


male Dornish Spirit wildlander 1

"They did die before being collared. Proudly. They still do. It is the full moon, it is likely they are once again dying in the name of freedom as we speak. We watched it five thousand and eight hundred and twenty five times, every thirty days, before Ragnar finally found the way out of the city."

Just realized- No Fear aura right now. During the full moon Ragnar loses most of his path abilities (The fear is because of the spirits, who are all visible and not scary right now)

Dark Archive

Speaker looks at Ragnar impatiently. "You have heard the decision of the Council. You are free to decide whatever you want - but do it quickly. I don't have the time to stand here all day."


Male Dorn Spirit Channeler 1

"Oh, yeah, that'll help. 'How about you hurry up with your decision whether or not to put yourself at the mercy of those who distrust and fear you.' For f@!* sake lady, I thought dwarves were supposed to be patient? You haven't exactly been reasonable or understanding while asking them to cripple themselves and hope you're honest."


"For f+@# sake, indeed." The spirit of the surly looking old Dorn said, speaking to the group for the first time. "Get over yourselves, all of you. Yeah, I'm talking to you too, lady. Don't look so self important. They're going to do it. All their other choices are worse than this one. Go back? No. Stay here? What are they going to eat, Ragnar? Going to conjure some spirit-meat for them? Even if you and your lady friend get locked up by these idiots for a century, the rest of them get to live, and you've got all the time in the world. Your brother and the rest of us will be fine. We're not going anywhere. When you get that collar off, you can go back to talking to empty air and making people wonder if you're crazy."


Raven Spiritual Channeler 5

"Damn. Sounds like we got back just in time. What's goin' on?"

5,301 to 5,350 of 6,403 << first < prev | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Nightflier's Midnight Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.