Nightflier's Midnight Game Thread

Game Master nightflier

Set in the grim world of Aryth, Nightflier's Midnight is a game that speaks of almost futile hope that shines against the darkness.


5,351 to 5,400 of 6,403 << first < prev | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | next > last >>

Awakened Raven

"Perhaps if you speak less and watch more you'll be able to figure it out. Quiet."

Wanted to get the birds "back" from reporting in before we changed settings(new chronicle to come as soon as I'm back from my trip)


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

Ragnar stares at the old man for a moment looking like an admonished child, then he simple nods. "Yes, sir.

He turns to the dwarven woman. "I will wear your collar. So long as your people act with honor and honesty, you will never have anything to fear from me."


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

Ilona chuckles at the comments of the former ghosts, actually giggling slightly at Grandfather Spirit's curmudgeonly mutterings.

Striding forward she stands before the dwarf, not bending to facilitate the process.

Hey tone takes on a chilling formality ringing with challenge.

"I accept your fear and do not fault you in your weakness. I greet you with strength and stand stripped of power, a light in the darkness. See what you may."

Dark Archive

Speaker approaches Ragnar first and bids him to bend a little, so that she can reach his neck.

The iron collar clasps around the Dorn's neck and instantly silence surrounds him. For a moment, you fail to understand what has happened, but then you realize - the ghosts are gone. The huge intimidating barbarian is no more. In front of your eyes, he is transformed into young man, strangely innocent, with wide blue eyes and childish wonder painted across his face.

Dark Archive

Dwarven woman approaches Ilona next. She clasps the collar around her neck in business-like manner, as if she is doing her duty and nothing more.

Sense Motive DC 20:
She seems to be highly irritade by Ilona's words, but she tries to hide it.

Ilona straightens up, feeling the now seamless collar around her neck. She is still beautiful and alluring, but something is missing from her smile. Something that made her enchanting and beautifully deadly.

Remember that your Charisma is 1 point lower, because you don't have the access to your path.

Dark Archive

Speaker sighs to herself and steps back a little. She looks at all of you with her strange blind-looking eyes and than settles on Gilian. "I now extend an invitation to all of you to come and visit the Last City. Each of you will be given a Warder as an escort. You may ask him whatever you want, and he will reply, if that does not put our city in jeopardy. We will now take you through the crystal doors. That may cause some nausea and forgetfulness. Do not be alarmed by that. Our ancestors designed those wards to protect the secret of the city's location. We will go as soon as you are ready."

Dark Archive

Please roll 1d8. The number will determine which Warder is asigned to you. They are all distinct personalities and fully fleshed NPCs and they will stay with you throughout your visit to the Last City.


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3
nightflier wrote:

Ilona straightens up, feeling the now seamless collar around her neck. She is still beautiful and alluring, but something is missing from her smile. Something that made her enchanting and beautifully deadly.

Remember that your Charisma is 1 point lower, because you don't have the access to your path.

It's still a 21, pretty damn overwhelming.

Sense motive1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Ilona studies the speaker's face for a moment, and a satisfied smile settles across her features. She reaches over entwining her fingers with Ragnar's.

1d8 ⇒ 3


Sense motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Solvistania waits silently for her Warder (more like her jailer) to be assigned to her.

Warden roll 1d8 ⇒ 1


Sense motive1d20 ⇒ 17
1d8 ⇒ 2


Sense Motive 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

1d8 ⇒ 5


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5

Sense Motive 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

"Fine, we will follow.", replies Gilian as here gaze seems to pierce through the Speaker mask and lay her bare. She nods at what she reads and smile both at Ilona and Ragnar, bending her head to acknowledge their sacrifice.

1d8 ⇒ 6
Summary
1 Solvi
2 Duncan
3 Ilona
4
5 Chops
6 Gilian
7
8


Gilian wrote:

1d8
Summary
1 Solvi
2 Duncan
3 Ilona
4
5 Chops
6 Gilian
7
8

Ha! What are the chances?


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

1d8 ⇒ 1

Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
1d8

Reroll, please.


Male Erunsil (Snow Elf) Fighter 5

Sky'tor watching the proceedings with interest...suddenly gets a surprised look on his face as he winks out of existence.

Dark Archive

Gilian, please roll for Lyj and Sorok. I'm going to post the description of the Last City in ten hours or so.


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5
nightflier wrote:
Gilian, please roll for Lyj and Sorok. I'm going to post the description of the Last City in ten hours or so.

For Sorok 1d8 ⇒ 5,
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 6
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 6
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 1
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 2
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 8

For Lyj
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 5
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 1
reroll 1d8 ⇒ 7

So as a summary:
1 Solvi
2 Duncan
3 Ilona
4 Ragnar
5 Chops
6 Gilian
7 Lyj
8 Sorok

Dark Archive

A group of dwarves appears from the corridor in front of you. They are armed and armored much like the Warder that follows Vrin, but they seem much younger. There are about twenty of them. Eight of them leave the group and approach each of you, seemingly at random.

"Follow them through the doorway", say the Speaker Vrin. "Remember, don't panic if you feel nausea."

The Speaker goes first and her Warder follows her. The younger dwarves assigned to you motion you to follow. Each dwarf stands near the member of the Bonebearers assigned to him, but they try to point out to you with some sort of crude sign language that they only wish to guide you and help you if you fall. You pass the stone doorway encrusted with glowing crystals and enter the corridor behind it, and the rest of the younger dwarves follow behind you.

For the firs several steps, you feel as if everything is all right, even ordinary. But soon you find the bluish light that floods the corridor to be very hard on your eyes. Soon after that, you start to loose the coordination of your movements; you become week and weary. The tunnel in front of you seems to be distorted and you have trouble to determine where your next step should be.

And then comes the darkness...

Dark Archive

You come to your senses on the edge of giant stone bridge, crossing the seemingly endless gray sea - but then you realize, despite the splitting headache that pounds in your skull - that the sea isn't the sea at all, but enormous chasm in the middle of even greater cave, filled with gray rolling mists. High above the enormous rift, that stretches further than eye can see, there are thousands stalactites, hanging from the cavern ceiling, so high above you that you can not see it, although the cave is washed with soft pearly light, akin to the light of the full moon.

Most of the stalactites are the size of the large oak tree, but the largest are bigger than a lot of fortresses in the North. The stone bridge that you stand on is at least twenty yards wide and leads straight to the nearest stalactite, carved in the likeness of the dwarf's head with wide gaping mouth, with bridge as its extended tongue. The twenty yards wide bridge stands in perfect proportion to the stalactite as a tongue would to the regular head, so that helps your aching minds to put it in perspective. To the sides of the bridge the gray expanse separates it from the two more similar bridges, that are almost obscured by the shifting mist.

Vrin looks at you all and smiles. "Welcome to the Last City", she say. "Home of the People. In our language, we call ourselves the Derro."

Dark Archive

Tomorrow I will post special introductions for each of you. As I've mentioned before, this part of the game will be heavily RP in nature, so daily posts will be a must. I'll give you a weekend to get used to it, though. Just a bit of warning - since there will be no fights, at least I hope so, the level of "danger" to the characters will depend on the rate of your posting, amongst other things. I will expect daily posts. If a long time passes between posts, I'll just rule that the character in question has become lost, or fallen in some trap of the city life, or whatever. The character will then not be able to return to the party until it leaves the city. This will result in not gaining a level and for certainly not gaining other rewards. If you can post at least once per day, say so now. There is an option to wait for someone, so as not to splinter the group needlessly.


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5

Gilian nods at the welcome, then turns towards her warden.
"As I said before, I am Gilian, healer and midwife by trade.", she says in trader's tongue. "Can you understand what I am saying?", she adds in the two other languages she knows (Erenlander and halfling).

During that time, she focuses on her link to Pebble as she is not sure he could take the same door. Nightflier, can you tell me if Pebble was able to follow Gilian underground through this portal or not?

Dark Archive

Speaker turns to Gilian and says: "He does not speak any of your tongues. But that will soon be taken care of. Be patient for just a little while more."

I was going to address that in my introductory post to you. Pebble was not able to follow you underground, since his ability does not seem to work beyond portals. But he was able to follow you above ground both in his elemental shape and dog shape.

Dark Archive

To the group: You can expect first posts in an hour or so, when I get back from work. Each of you will get his post in the order you rolled. It may take some time to post for each of you, since you get individual treatment.

Dark Archive

The Speaker leads you across the bridge. The bridge itself is about half a mile long and it takes you some time to reach the end of it and pass through the gaping dwarf's mouth and enter the stalactite.

As soon as you do so, you find yourself in the large chamber, obviously designed with one idea in mind - to hold the bridge whatever the coast. It turns out that the teeth of the giant dwarf's head are in fact the lower square spikes of the huge iron portcullis that can be quickly lowered across the entrance. In the ceiling of the chamber a number of murder holes gape at you.

The Speaker is greeted with the salute from the elderly Derro in strange armor that makes you think of thick black beetles. Interestingly, he does not wear any weapons. The same goes for the company of similarly armored younger, but not young, Derro behind him.

The Speaker turn at you and says "These boys here are the Gatekeepers. They are the first line of the Last City's defense. From this gate a cable leads to the main cable network. We use it to cross the Chasm and travel from the gates to the Inner City. Follow me, please."

She leads you to some sort of balcony overlooking the misty expanse beneath. Slight winds seems to blow from the depths, making the mist twirl around your legs.

Next to the balcony there is a huge iron box, large enough for all of you to fit inside, suspended on three thick ropes of some kind of metal that stretch from the stalactite that is the Gatehouse and away into the mist and gloom of the city.

As soon as you enter the box, Speaker touches the wall and you feel movement. Picking up more and more speed, the box glides away, soon leaving the Gatehouse behind to dwindle into a speck, as seen through the open entrance, barred with some kind of thin mesh only.

After sometime spent in silence, the box slowly stops and the you see that the wall opposed to the mesh hides a door as well. One of the Warders opens it and you find yourself looking at the interior of what must be the largest building, or mortal-made structure you have ever seen.

The ceiling of the huge chamber is supported by many pillars, that look like they have grown naturally there. Hundreds of Derro in gray robes, much like those that Speaker wears, rush along so dedicated to their tasks that they do not stop even to look at the strangers that have come to their city. Warders in their strange armors are less common, but they are there as well, following the older gray-robed Derro.

The Speaker exits the box and you realize that it has traveled thought the tunnel carved in the living rock. You have no idea whether you are inside some huge stalactite, or perhaps in the wall of the enormous cave that houses the Chasm and the forest of giant stone spikes.

As soon as you all exit, a young Derro comes running to the Speaker, with a small wooden box in his hands. Vrin takes it from him and opens it, and the young Warders assigned to you take something from it - a smallish clear oval crystal, about the size of human woman's thumbnail. Each of them turns and approaches one of you, offering the crystal.

Dark Archive

"These are s'kera. They are used for various purposes. These will allow you to gain the knowledge of our language and limited bond with the Younglings assigned to you. S'kera will allow them to know where you are at any time, but you will also be aware of them. They are warn on the forehead, between the eyes. Just put them there, and s'kera will stay in place. They will not come off until you pull them. Please wear them constantly. You have the complete freedom of the city - well, almost complete - but it is easy to get lost."

Dark Archive

So as not to slow the game, I have decided that I'll post introductions with the Younglings in answer to your posts. So, as soon as you post that you have placed the stone on your forehead, I'll reply.


Earth Elemental Familiar 5

As soon as Gilian has moved towards the tunnel, Pebbles emerges from behind a column in his dog form. Moving quietly, he stands by his mistress as they take the bridge then the strange metal contraption across the Chasm.


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5

Gilian reaches for the small gem, casting detect magic as she goes and places it on her forehead. "I'm just curious as how they work, if you don't mind."

Spellcraft +detect magic 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Dark Archive

Gilian:
The crystals are something completely new to you, and however they work, they are not arcane in nature. You have suspected this since you tried to sense what are Vrin's true motives to bring you into the city, but now you are sure. Her powers are not magical.


Chops eyes the crystal suspiciously.

Old Dwarven:
"Isn't this a language you people speak?"


Male Tiefling (Daemon-Spawn) Arcanist 1

Lyj takes the gem in between his fingers, studying it. He nods at Chops' comment, and adds,

Old Dwarven:
[b]"Truly, if we speak this tongue, are these necessary?"


Female Human (Sarcosan) Fighter 2/ Chaneller 3

Ilona takes one of the gems and holds it up to the wan light.

"It can't really get any worse can it?" She says with a shrug before planting the gem between her eyes.


Taking the gem Duncan places it on his brow, without a word.

Dark Archive

Vrin looks at Chops and Lyj and smiles. "That is the language spoken by our ancestors. It still is the formal language of the Council. But, as the years passed, we have developed our own. The people who are not part of the Council have no need of ancient tongues."

Dark Archive

Ilona Ebonblade wrote:

Ilona takes one of the gems and holds it up to the wan light.

"It can't really get any worse can it?" She says with a shrug before planting the gem between her eyes.

Ilona:
As you place the crystal between your eyes, you feel it hug your skin and suddenly a wave of dizziness washes over you. Strange thoughts enter your head and you realize that the crystal is implanting the knowledge of another tongue in your mind. At the same time, you feel a vague presence next to you. A young Derro with shaved head and short beard that leaves his upper lip bare looks at you, nodding. Quietly, he speaks and you know what his words mean, although you have never heard them spoken before. "Salutations. I am Var. I shall guide you to your chambers as soon as you are ready."
Dark Archive

Duncan Bloodforged wrote:
Taking the gem Duncan places it on his brow, without a word.

Duncan:
As you place the crystal between your eyes, you feel it hug your skin and suddenly a wave of dizziness washes over you. Strange thoughts enter your head and you realize that the crystal is implanting the knowledge of another tongue in your mind. At the same time, you feel a vague presence next to you. A young Derro with shaved head and short beard that leaves his upper lip bare looks at you, nodding. Quietly, he speaks and you know what his words mean, although you have never heard them spoken before. "Salutations. I am Vrand. I shall guide you to your chambers as soon as you are ready."

Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5

Nightflier, in case you've missed it, Gilian has put the gem on her forehead.

Dark Archive

Gilian wrote:
Nightflier, in case you've missed it, Gilian has put the gem on her forehead.

Sorry. I did miss it.

Gilian:
As you place the crystal between your eyes, you feel it hug your skin and suddenly a wave of dizziness washes over you. Strange thoughts enter your head and you realize that the crystal is implanting the knowledge of another tongue in your mind. At the same time, you feel a vague presence next to you. A young Derro with shaved head and short beard that leaves his upper lip bare looks at you, nodding. Quietly, he speaks and you know what his words mean, although you have never heard them spoken before. "Salutations. I am Naarn. I shall guide you to your chambers as soon as you are ready."

Dark Archive

"As soon as you finish with the crystals", says Vrin, "the Younglings will take you to your quarters. Each of you has separate quarters, since you are the first visitors this city had in ten thousand years. Your Younglings will answer any questions that you may have."


Male Tiefling (Daemon-Spawn) Arcanist 1
nightflier wrote:
Vrin looks at Chops and Lyj and smiles. "That is the language spoken by our ancestors. It still is the formal language of the Council. But, as the years passed, we have developed our own. The people who are not part of the Council have no need of ancient tongues."

Lyj nods, his expression carefully neutral. He eyes the gem a moment more, glances at the companions who have already done as directed, then mentally shrugs and gingerly puts it into place.


Female Erenlander Spiritual Chaneller 5
nightflier wrote:
Gilian wrote:
Nightflier, in case you've missed it, Gilian has put the gem on her forehead.

Sorry. I did miss it.

** spoiler omitted **

Gilian replies to her derro warden.

"Pleased to meet you, Naarn, I am Gilian, healer by trade. The little dog here is Pebble. I'll be ready in a few minutes. Let me just have a little talk with my companions."

Turning towards her companions, she says: "I guess this is a perfect place to learn more about our goal and to rediscover what's been lost on the surface. I propose we go and try to learn more each on our own or by small groups and we meet tomorrow. Maybe Solvi can check and confirm our next destination while Ragnar, Ilona and Duncan go find more about our employer and his "brother" in the archive they may have here. I intend to try to find the healing hall. Chops, Sorok and Lyj, as you know the language, maybe you can find what they know about the surface situation?"


Chops stares at the crystal, then shrugs his shoulders and places it on his own forehead.

"I read the old language. It might do some good for me to take a look into their archives."


male Dorn Barbarian 2, Spiritual Channeler 2

Ragnar says nothing. He seems disturbed by his surroundings, and a bit off balance. He makes a face at the gem and sticks it to his head.


Male Black Blood Dwarf Fighter 5

Sorok picks up the gem, looks at his companions and puts it to his head.

Dark Archive

Chops the Defender Dworg wrote:

Chops stares at the crystal, then shrugs his shoulders and places it on his own forehead.

"I read the old language. It might do some good for me to take a look into their archives."

Chops:
As you place the crystal between your eyes, you feel it hug your skin and suddenly a wave of dizziness washes over you. Strange thoughts enter your head and you realize that the crystal is implanting the knowledge of another tongue in your mind. At the same time, you feel a vague presence next to you. A young Derro with shaved head and short beard that leaves his upper lip bare looks at you, nodding. Quietly, he speaks and you know what his words mean, although you have never heard them spoken before. "Salutations. I am Troz. I shall guide you to your chambers as soon as you are ready."
Dark Archive

Ragnar Death-Speaker wrote:
Ragnar says nothing. He seems disturbed by his surroundings, and a bit off balance. He makes a face at the gem and sticks it to his head.

Ragnar:
As you place the crystal between your eyes, you feel it hug your skin and suddenly a wave of dizziness washes over you. Strange thoughts enter your head and you realize that the crystal is implanting the knowledge of another tongue in your mind. At the same time, you feel a vague presence next to you. A young Derro with shaved head and short beard that leaves his upper lip bare looks at you, nodding. Quietly, he speaks and you know what his words mean, although you have never heard them spoken before. "Salutations. I am Vornar. I shall guide you to your chambers as soon as you are ready."
Dark Archive

Sorok Hamfael wrote:
Sorok picks up the gem, looks at his companions and puts it to his head.

Sorok:
As you place the crystal between your eyes, you feel it hug your skin and suddenly a wave of dizziness washes over you. Strange thoughts enter your head and you realize that the crystal is implanting the knowledge of another tongue in your mind. At the same time, you feel a vague presence next to you. Vrin's own Warder approaches you. Quietly, he speaks and you know what his words mean, although you have never heard them spoken before. "Salutations. I am Vron. I shall guide you to your chambers as soon as you are ready."
Dark Archive

Younglings and Vron take each of you to the different set of stairs. Some go up, others go down. Despite the Younglings that show you the way, or old Warder in Sorok's case, you find the derro architecture bewildering and very hard to remember the way from the entrance to your quarters.

Will save DC20 to remember the way to your rooms.

You have the feeling that all the quarters are the same. There are two rooms - sitting room and the bedroom. Attached to the bedroom there is a bath chamber with pool carved into stone. Warm water constantly flows into it from the derro head carved into wall. Necessity is in a separate niche.

The only thing is that all the furniture is small in size.

You have two hours game time to take your bearings and prepare yourself before you get summons to go to dinner with Vrin and other senior Speakers. You may use that time to pump your Younglings for info, if you like. In RL the summons will came in 24 hours.


Solvistania is the last one to affix the stone in her head, (After examining the stone completely, casting Detect Magic as well) and she is silent all the while.

To Gilian's suggestion, she nods in acknowledgement.

As she enters the room, she waves Felina over and instructs her to watch over as she meditates, studying her Lorebook for any information about this city.

Knowledge Arcana 1d20 + 14 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 14 + 3 = 18
Will save 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

5,351 to 5,400 of 6,403 << first < prev | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Nightflier's Midnight Game Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.