Gravel to Granite (Inactive)

Game Master Lareg

Started. Recruiting open. Apprentice-level game (Super Genius Games rule pre lvl 1. Pathfinder @ lvl 1 & beyond). Characters begin pre level 1, gain levels, and classes. Game run on the boards. Characters currently at lvl 2.


451 to 500 of 2,663 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx walks over to the fire, keeping a light smile on and greeting them all in turn "I am Silx, well met. I don't know much about repairing wagons, but I can lend the strength of my back where needed"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

With a toothy half-smile, albeit with some concern about the new people and new circumstances surrounding his predicament, I don't know how to fix much, only protect those around me. I as well will lend my physical strength where needed and whatever else may come in handy.


Male Human Monk

Mal'c smiles broadly.
"From what I have learned the work they have left is simple and the additional strong hands will help it go quickly."


Male Human Monk

Mal'c gathers Granita, Silx, Aak, and Shayne around the fire.

"Each of you should get some rest. If you wish to help, we should arrange working in shifts so that everyone has energy to continue on our way toward the monastery come night fall."

Feel free to role play conversations that take place while people are working. Though Mal'c will mediate now and then, he holds off resting until the wagon repairs are complete.


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Slowly rising from the horse, the young girl reaches up with a bandaged hand to draw back her hood, but hesitates when she catches sight of two creatures coming into the firelight. First -- due to his sheer stature -- the girl's eyes fall on the half-orc, causing her breath to hitch in the back of her throat. "I-- " a frantic look is shot over to the caravan guard, then to the driver and lone traveler.

Words failing her, it is only when Silx comes into view that the dark-haired young woman lets out a shriek of fright. She stumbles backwards, heel digging into the earth, twisting her posture causing her to tumble backwards to the ground. The firelight glow in her eyes flickers brighter for a bare moment as she scrambles back on her hands and feet until she is pressed up against the flank of the injured horse.

"Y-you're not-- you're not real," the girl murmurs as her stare remains transfixed on the ebony-skinned, smiling drow. "You're not real," is repeated, this time no more than a whisper of disbelief. Stories exist of them -- fairy tales -- but nothing more.

But then here is one in the flesh, side-by-side with the progeny of orc and human flesh. Having seen neither in her life and only believing one of the pair likely real, the young girl finds herself frozen in fear.

That no one else seems phased by the drow or the half-orc's presence is lost on the girl, at least for the moment.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak will tend to any sick or inured. Aak will turn towards the new person (Caylen), seeing her injured hand and bend down towards her slowly seeing she is frightened.

Miss, I mean you no harm. Please let me tend to your wounds. I may only be a novice, but some help is better then letting your hand get worse. My name is Aak by the way, this slender fellow nodding near Silx is not your enemy. I believe if he wish me dead it would be so, therefore he seems trustworthy in my book. Now where did the pesky Gnome go? He is more slippery then a greased pig. Aak ponders briefly, making sure to be as non-threatening as possible.

Heal skill: take 20 since not in combat = 21


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

The lesser of two story-book monsters in this case is Aak. While his cordial demeanor and kind words are a balm -- of sorts -- to the young girl, it does little to still her fright of the drow and his storybook-come-to-life appearance.

Swallowing tensely, she briefly averts her gaze from Silx to Aak. Something in her eyes shows fright like that of a timid animal, but there is a deeper resiliency that is keeping her rooted in place (admittedly on her backside). When he offers to look at her "injuries," the girl reluctantly lifts her hands and pulls away some of the bandaging on the backs of her palms for him to inspect.

"Don't let him take me to his nest and feed me to his brood," the girl whispers to Aak, shooting a furtive glance over to Silx. It appears some tales of the drow are taller than others.

In the confusion, she forgets her manners and a proper introduction.

Aak/Lareg:

Spoiler:

The girl's hands are horribly burned. The flesh is papery and crisp on the outside, the color of charcoal, while what can be seen between the strips of burnt flesh are red and tender. She should be in excruciating pain, but it does not appear that she is. Lareg might have you make a knowledge (religion) check or something here to identify her curse.


Might I just add that I am going to fully enjoy coming up with wild and implausibly dumb drow folk tales to have Cay ask Silx about. Is it true that drow men lay eggs?! etc etc.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Oh if you think Silx is interesting you should try Durren, my drow paladin. took me a bit to come up with a backstory for him lol

Silx shakes his head at the girl Damn humans, rather crucify me than talk to me


Male Human Monk

Mal'c approaches Silx.

"Worry not. In time she will learn the truth of your people. From what I have learned from the guard, they have traveled far from the northern shores over nearly a month's time. In those distant lands the Drow are but a myth. There is no telling what outlandish tales she has heard."

Aak:
Religion roll for you. Also, at closer examination her arms remind you of the halfing's. Burand's burned forearms looked much the same.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Untrained Knowledge Religion Check: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Stange, you should be in agonizing pain, but are not. So long as you are not suffering I suppose. For the future, let me know if there is anything I can do for you should the need arise. Aak's mind wanders to the halfling That is only a myth, you shouldn't fear the drow. Surprisingly he has been nothing but helpful in our short journey together. Aak whispers back to Caylen.


Hesitantly withdrawing her hands and wrapping the bandages once more, the girl says nothing, though halfway-lidded eyes gaze uncertainly at Silx. "Thank you," is offered to Aak in little more than a whisper before she pushes herself up to her feet. That the guard seems at ease helps the girl relax some.

"Caylen," the girl blurts out at first to Aak, then as she brushes a bandaged hand over her face with a huffed breath she tries that again. "My-- My name," she clarifies with a stammer, "is Caylen." No family name is given, just something as informal as that.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Aak:
The young woman's scars may be associated with some type of divine presence. Perhaps Burand would know more.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak just smiles at Caylen, hoping to reassure her that everything will be okay. Seriously, where did my personal hair stylist go? I miss my own concierge service on demand. Aak will take solace in knowing the Gnome is hopefully okay, knowing better than to wander alone and get spotted.

So, Burand, if not to much trouble could you tell me of Caylen's scars and burns. They seem similar to yours if not mistaken. If you don't wish to tell me, I of course understand.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

I'm pretty sure Shayne is on the road or without Internet atm. We'll say the gnome is laboring over his deck of cards repeatedly.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

I know the Gnome is on the road in RL. just giving him stuff to respond to when he gets back :)


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2
Aak wrote:
So, Burand, if not to much trouble could you tell me of Caylen's scars and burns. They seem similar to yours if not mistaken. If you don't wish to tell me, I of course understand.

Burand is the halfling from the keep. He's still there. Only Granita and Mal'c traveled with the group.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

I will redirect the question to Mal'c

Do you know how Burand got the burns and scars on his arms?


Male Human Monk

Mal'c pauses his work to think for a moment and then looks toward Aak briefly before continuing his work, he begins to speak as soon as he starts working.

"I can't be sure, but I believe the marks are a sign of some connection he has with his god. He does not speak of them, nor have I asked him directly. What has made you think of such things my inquisitive friend?" He turns and looks at Aak, pausing his work again.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx snorts "Most of my people deserve such treatment" He softens a bit "Thank you though, you are a wise man"

Silx makes a mental note to talk to Burand. After the work gets finished Silx sits a little farther from the fire than others, toying with and sharpening his knives.

When he manages to catch Aak by himself, he makes his way over "Thank you for your words, you have done a great kindness for me"


filler of waterskins

The gnome finally approaches the others. The sack he carries looks clean and unremarkable now, although certainly not new.

Shayne's delay was to use Prestidigitation to finish removing the blood stains from his sack. He also put some items from his backpack into the sack, so its contents could not be so easily judged by its size and shape. He also cast Detect Magic before joining the group.

He sits by the fire and begins singing.

Perform (Sing) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

"The fire is hot. The fire is bright.
Which do I need more tonight?
My soul is heavy, my eyes are scarred.
Both warmth and light can help this bard.

"The day was long and my heart was cold,
Numbed by pain. Dark fears grew bold:
My source of knowledge and strength is gone.
Yet I have learned I don't walk alone.

"The Half-Orc defends me with his blade,
The Human with pitiful soup she made,
The Monk with paths past danger and fright,
The Drow by drawing foes into the night.

"The fire is hot. The fire is bright.
Which do I need more tonight?
Whichever keeps my friends close by
As I fall asleep beneath the starry sky."

Then he sets down his sack and backpack, removes his bedroll from the backpack, and with an inquisitive glance asks where to lay out the bedroll.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

its cool having a bard who actually can write poems/lyrics


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

As focus shifts away from Caylen, the young woman draws down her hood and runs a hand through her hair, relaxing some. With unexpected travelers joining the makeshift fire -- one of them performing a song, none the less! -- Caylen takes the opportunity to walk a meandering circuit of the camp on its periphery. Soft-soled boots crunch the deadfall branches and twigs underfoot as she does, and her focus is not out beyond the grove of trees, but rather inward at the group as a whole.

Tucking her bandaged hands into her wide, fur-trimmed sleeves, Caylen looks the newcomers up and down with furrowed brows as they speak with the monk, Mal'c. When she finishes her circle, the girl comes to rest beside the caravan guard, arms folded across her chest. She shoots up a look to him, one dark brow raised, then looks back to the newcomers.

She knows what she sees in them, but that non-verbal inquiry requests his assessment too.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Spoiler:

Caylen's looking to make a hunch about the group, get a feel for their attitudes and dispositions. Who seems stressed, who seems calm, who's faking either. It's a very general assessment. Further, she's looking to confer with the caravan guard regarding this and see how he feels about them.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Caylen:
The half orc is what he seems. Though something drives him that you cannot guess at, his care is genuine. A singing gnome whose song says it all. He too carries a burden of his own. Though the drow is distant, it is from the sting of past hatreds. He looks for a friend among strangers, but fears he may be alone. The monk's wisdom comes from a drive to help others do their best. You see that now as he helps speed the wagon repairs. Of the new comers, it is the woman that seems the most distraught. Though she does her best to hide it, it is clear she has had a long night.

Perception rolls for Aak, Silx, and Shayne.

Perception 15 or greater:
As the young woman approaches the guard, he glances at her with a smile. The two sit and begin to talk.

Caylen:
As you approaches the guard, he glances at you with a smile. "Been quite a morning, hasn't it?"


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

wow lareg, that was very insightful on my character

Perception1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Silx keeps an ear for the conversation but otherwise does nothing different


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Seated by the fire, Caylen's only visible response to the guard is a mild smile and a tired expression of agreement. She speaks, though softly; Shoulders slouched forward.

Spoiler:

"They seem alright. Travelers, perhaps? Tired; a mixed affair. We could use their help getting to the end of our road. I think... all things considered, it's a boon."

Caylen grows quiet at that, then cups her bandaged hands together and closes her eyes, listening to the gnome's song play. After a moment, her head bobs forward and eyes flutter open belatedly. Realizing how tired she is, Caylen rubs at her eyes with the sleeves of her robe and rises up to her feet. Sitting any longer would make sleep's lure too irresistible. Boldness, then, instead.

"We're headed to the monastery," Caylen says to no one in particular when Shayne's song ends. Looking a bit sheepish at her own words, the young woman hides her hands within the sleeves of her robe again. "If... er," dark eyes flit over to the caravan driver, then back to the newcomers. "Agreement pending, we'd be glad to take you that far at least, in exchange for helping repair the wagon. I don't know how far you're all headed, but-- " Caylen grimaces awkwardly, "we're a bit short-handed as of late."


Male Human Monk

Who is to say what Silx truly feels... Mal'c overhearing Caylen, approaches.

Silx:
You can hear clearly what conversation is being had. Consider Caylen's spoiler something SIlx hears.

"Though going together on the wagon would speed our journey, I'm afraid it wouldn't be safe with Tolin and his men searching for us. Looking toward the driver. I'm sure what trade you have for the monastery can wait a few days. Looking toward Caylen and the farmer. If you'd wish the two of you would be most welcome to join us on our way to the monastery."


Male Human Monk

Mal'c returns to helping with the wagon for a bit longer before heading toward the fire to rest and mediate. He checks in with Caylen and the farmer before making sure the Shayne has found a warm place near the fire.

To Caylen and the farmer "The wagon will be ready to go soon. Let me know if either of you plan to join us. Be sure to gather whatever belongings you have if you decide to come with us."

After heading toward the fire, to Shayne. "Have you found a good place by the fire? Let's hope it's heat lasts a bit longer."

A short time later, the farmer approaches Mal'c. The two begin to talk. (Shayne can hear them easily if he is awake.)

Perception rolls for Aak, Silx, and Caylen.

Perception greater than 10:
"Brother, I have little to offer, but I would like to start over. Is there land near the monastery that I could tend?" The farmer looks hopeful as Mal'c considers the question. "Though the gardens are not large, they server our needs. You would be most welcome to lend your hands to working the soil once the coming winter breaks. Until them I'm sure we can find work for you." Mal'c smiles broadly as the farmer heads back toward the wagon excitedly.


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

"Wait..." It took a moment for Caylen to wrap her head around what was said, but once it all comes together the young woman looks a bit flustered. "You're being pursued by someone? Someone dangerous?" One dark brow arches, and the girl's arms wrap tightly around herself, head shaking slowly.

"I'm not-- I don't think it would be wise for me to accompany you. I'm not-- " Embarrasedly, Caylen shakes her head and hunches her shoulders forward. "I'm no help to rough men on the run," a perplexed look is briefly shot to the half-orc and the drow, then back to Mal'c. "I'd just get in the way. Besides... I-- I need to get to the monastery, and if the wagon will be faster, and safer..."

Caylen's dark eyes square on the wagon, then back to Mal'c, uncertainly.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

perception1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

"I had hoped we lost them" Silx suddenly speaks up, tossing his knife up in the air

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

responding to Mal'c question of why so inquisitive

I am only curious because I saw similar burns on the Halfling from the keep, yet he seemed not bothered at all by them.
----------------------------------
Percption: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Mal'c has not steered us wrong, so I will agree with his current views. If he says the wagon will be more dangerous then so be it. Having you along will not be bothersome, I assure.


Male Human Monk

To Aak. "The burns do bother him, but not as much as they should from the looks of them."

To the group. "I too hope we have lost them. I can't say for sure we'll be safe until we're at the monastery".

Caylen (& Perc 10 or >):
"Though the wagon is fast, it will be very easy to spot. We will have a much better chance of remaining hidden on foot. We will be traveling at night to decrease our risk. Traveling by darkness can be very dangerous by wagon."


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

The farmer approaches Caylen.

"Did you hear? Brother Mal'c said that I could work the monastery gardens! It isn't much, but its a start. Will you be coming with us?" The farmer can barely contain his excitement.


Male Human Monk

As the last of the wagon repairs are finished, Mal'c gathers Silx, Shayne, and Aak. Granita stands at his side as he speaks.

"It seems there are some reservations about going by foot to the monastery. The driver has offered us a ride. Though I am hesitant to be so exposed on the road, it would be folly to not seek the wisdom of others. How would the three of you prefer to travel?"


filler of waterskins

The gnome said "Thank you," to Mal'c and snuggled into his bedroll. He ws asleep almost immediately.

He wakes quickly though, when gathered by Mal'c. Emerging into the night air he casts Prestidigitation to warm his clothes.

"I agree with Mal'c. As a Varisian I am used to abandoning wagons when danger pursues. Wagons can be regathered or replaced. Ladies cannot."

"Normally I would advise splitting our group with one or two taking the wagon to possibly confound a search. But these foes are too willing to attack innocents. Let us stay as a group, please, as my song requested."


Male Human Monk

Mal'c nods in agreement with Shayne.

"Though I've warned the driver of the danger, he refuses to abandon the goods on the wagon. It is my hope with only he and the guard, they will move fast with three horses. They have agreed to leave the injured horse in the care of the young woman Caylen. It is my hope that she will agree to come with us."


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx nods "I will do what I can to scout ahead and protect us"


Male Human Monk

Mal'c looks toward Silx with appreciation.

"May my words quite your steps."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

The method of travel matters not to I. As long as myself and the others arrive safely to our destination, that is my goal. I will give protection to all of those around me, that is all I know how to do, Aak will respond rather bluntly to question posed by Mal'c.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx has a slight smile on his face when Aak responds I believe i've taken a liking to him, he has a good heart and always says what he means. Not sure if that makes me a hypocrite or an idealist


Offering a warm, thankful smile to the farmer she'd been traveling with at his good news, Caylen rests a bandaged hand on his arm and gives a gentle squeeze. "That's fantastic news," she offers in somewhat torn congratulations. Her attention shifts past the farmer to the others, though.

"It's not that I'm worried about traveling on the road," Caylen clarifies to Mal'c, nibbling at her bottom lip pensively. "It's more that... I'm worried about traveling with you all." Dark eyes scan the group, then the area beyond the woods.

"You said you're being hunted by someone? We're not. We've done nothing ill to the people of this land, nor made any enemies. If the lot of you are in danger, does that not put us in danger by accompanying you? What safety is there with hunted men, when I can wait here with the caravan to be repaired?"

Reaching up to scratch at the back of her neck, Caylen looks around the camp, then back to Mal'c. "Who is this Tolin? Why is he searching for you all?"


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx arcs an eyebrow "I believe Granita is the one being hunted, we are trying to protect her. So yes, indirectly we're being hunted." He looks at Mal'c to explain Tolin


Male Human Monk

Mal'c smiles broadly at Aak. As Caylen and Silx speak, he lowers his head slightly, a troubled look crosses his face.

Looking over the group.. "Silx is correct. Granita is the one Tolin is after. I fear that his quest will not stop there. He will wish to avenge himself upon those who would protect her. Worst of all, he will stop at nothing to bring others to his cause. He and his men will not stop at harassing a wagon on the road, especially one full of goods. Though I understand why duty calls the guard and driver to continue, looking at Caylen I would rather you not be at greater risk if it is within my power to offer you protection and safe passage to the monastery."

Mal'c pauses. Takes a deep breath.. exhales.

"As for who Tolin is, that is a tale told best within the safety of the monastery walls. For now, let me say that he lives for destruction, though he claims his cause is for all. He and his follows blame the troubles that have come upon much of the eastern lands on the presence of those like Shayne, Silx, and Aak. They believe, wrongly, that only human settlements will survive the wretched desolation creeping ever westward."


filler of waterskins

Shayne grumbles quietly, but the cast of his eyes and cheeks show he is not really upset. "...within the monastery walls. By Jadis's frigid thighs, this ever-postponed story better be a good one!"


Male Human Monk

Mal'c smiles at Shayne.

"I'm afraid it hasn't been a good story so far, but now that the three of you have been caught up in it perhaps you'll have a good one to tell at its end."


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Fidgeting nervously, Caylen casts a worried look to the farmer, then over to the caravan driver and his guard. After a moment, the young woman makes her way to the driver with her head bowed and arms folded within the voluminous sleeves of her robe.

"Sir," she offers softly, "I... These travelers words compel me. I must get to the monastery, it is the duty my family put upon me and... and as much as I appreciate all that you have done for me, I feel that if I pass up this opportunity now, I may be risking finding what I seek there."

Furrowing her brows, the girl looks down to her feet, then back up to the driver again. "Thank you for letting me tend to your horse, her sprained leg should heal well. But I can no longer stay to care for her. I hope you understand."

Drawing in a deep, tense breath, Caylen exhales her stress as a weary sigh before offering a look over her shoulder to Mal'c. The affirmative nod she offers him is wordless confirmation; she's ready.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

The driver smiles at Caylen as the guard looks on with one last longing glance before looking over the horses one last time before they depart.

"You show wisdom beyond your years by heeding the brother's advice. As for the injured horse, I leave it in your care. Looking toward Mal'c. Let the brothers of the monastery take it as a token of appreciation. Have them decide how the horse should be used when, the winds willing, you all arrive safely."

With one last nod toward the group. The driver looks to the guard, who also nods before hopping back onto the wagon. After one last wave, the wagon departs.


Male Human Monk

With a hopeful glance, Mal'c watches the wagon for a moment as it heads quickly down the road. With a nod and a smile, he turns to the group."

"We number seven now. Some of us have faced risks before. Others bring with them a past full of disappointments. I cannot promise that the path ahead will be easy, nor can I promise that each of you will find what you seek, but if by my life I can insure your safety - I will give that gladly."

With a nod, Mal'c heads toward the fire. He grabs the end of one scrap of wood and begins to break up the fire with the other end.

"Gather your things. We head for the shelter of the grove as soon as we can."


Male Human Monk

Once everyone is prepared, Mal'c leads the group into the nearby grove. Though from the tree line the grove looked open, as the group goes further among the trees the thick brush serves not only to hamper their progress, but also hide them from sight. As they continue, the surrounding trees barely manage to protect the group from the cold winter wind. Working through some of the thickest brush, the group emerges into a small clearing. Three large trees serve to shelter them; one to the north, one to the east, and one to the west, while the thick brush that they came through lies to the south.

"It's time that we get some rest. We'll continue at night fall. Who would like to take the first watch?"

1 to 50 of 2,663 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A sparce tavern, a dusty inn, and the looming mountains All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.