Gravel to Granite (Inactive)

Game Master Lareg

Started. Recruiting open. Apprentice-level game (Super Genius Games rule pre lvl 1. Pathfinder @ lvl 1 & beyond). Characters begin pre level 1, gain levels, and classes. Game run on the boards. Characters currently at lvl 2.


701 to 750 of 2,663 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Male Human Monk

As the day passes, Brother Dow'mis keeps the wood stove burning. When the light of the day once again begins to dim, he begins to prepare a meal. By this time Mal'c has awoken and is helping. Once preparations are complete, Mal'c approaches Aak.

"How have you rested?" If Aak is not wake, Mal'c waits nearby.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

"I slept okay. My mind wandered a bit on the past and future so it could have been better. Everyday above ground is a good day however so I look forward to the upcoming adventures".


Male Human Monk

Mal'c smiles, "I'm glad to hear that you rested well. I am sure a bit of the past and the future will be uncovered once we get to the monastery. Though I doubt any of us will be able to rest much more, well wait until morning to make our way to the monastery."


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

As Aak and Mal'c speak, Brother Dow'mis brings over two bowls of food. As others awake, he does the same. Though served with the same rice, this dish features several nuts that add a rich crunch to the variety of fresh vegetables.


Male Human

As soon as Caylen wakes, Sam approaches. He holds a bowl of food he has nearly finished and a bowl he's just gotten from Brother Dow'mis.

"Hungry? I hope you slept well. I can't wait to get to the monastery."


Female Human

Yawning, Granita sits near Shayne shortly after he wakes. "I hope you slept better than I did. Brother Dow'mis just brought these." She points to to hot dishes of food sitting at her side. "I'm not quite hungry yet."


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Getting up from his spot in the corner, Silx takes a quick scan of the area, then stands and stretches. He checks his daggers and his other equipment, then picks up the bowl and eats while walking around


Male Human Monk

Mal'c watches Silx as he walks. Mal' speaks to Silx as he nears. "Would you like to join us as you finish your meal?"


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx turns to face Mal'c, and the difference of cheeriness from last night is similar to that of a hangover "I was just looking around, I was a little distracted last night to take in my surroundings. Yes, I'll join you"


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

So last night Silx was cheerful and not so much this morning? Just want to make sure I have it right before I do Mal'c's response.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Yup. Pretty much he was being joyful and expressive to ward off the reminders of the past, and now he's back to brooding


Male Human Monk

Mal'c smiles as Silx sits. "If you think this is something, wait until you see the monastery. So tell me, will traveling in the day be ok for you?"

Mal'c has some understanding of Drow, but doesn't fully understand their eyesight.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx turns with a curious eye, then realizes Mal'c isn't fully aware of Drow "Drow have darkvision, but we're not nocturnal. I'll be just as fine as anyone else" he sits down next to the others and sets his food down "Tell me about the monastery"


Male Human Monk

Mal'c nods, grateful to have grown in wisdom. On hearing Silx question, his eyes gleam for a moment. Then he looks off, as if into the distance. "I can still remember the first time I saw it. I'd walked into this mountain hoping that it would claim me. Take what I had seen and turn it to dust, with the rest of me. By the time I stumbled onto the road that we will walk, I was delirious with thirst and hunger." Mal'c is lost in thought for a moment, but breaks the remembrance with a nod, and looks at Silx. "The monastery is carved into the mountain, surrounded by terraced gardens. Gardens that will soon be free of all but the hardiest root vegetables. Before its doorways are several buildings. Some for the tools and housing of those who maintain the gardens. Another for our allies, brothers in spirit who watch with vigilance from these mountains." Mal'c stops himself from going on further and looks Silx in the eyes. "There is much to tell. What would you wish to know before we arrive?"


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx takes in what Mal'c says for a moment, looking in his eyes like he's trying to find something "...just what to expect is all" he turns back to his food "Wouldn't want to offend anybody out of ignorance"


Male Human Monk

Mal'c nods and smiles. "That is wise question. Know that I will share will all of you our customs. Know also that outsiders are not expected to abide by our ways, but to honor their own as best they can. Of course you are welcome to honor our ways as best you can if you wish."


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

"Tolerance is a wise policy, I believe I will get along well with your people. Still, I would like to be a little more educated if nothing else." he turns, expectantly looking at Mal'c


filler of waterskins

Soon after the dancing finishes, Shayne takes one of the clean bedrolls, removes his shirt but keeps on his pants, and falls asleep near the fire.

His final thoughts that long day are about the young woman who certainly appears to be an Oracle of some kind. He remembers the Varisian stories about how Aroden tragically disappeared and left their fortune-tellers dependent upon ancestral spirits instead of divine guidance. He recalls the young woman's desire to "just be normal".

In the morning he wakes and lays with eyes open, still warm in his bedroll. He briefly sits to exhange quiet words with whomever is also awake. Then he resumes watches the ceiling and thinking.

As Granita approaches with food he sits up and puts on his shirt. Grinning, he says, "Ah, my thans. A warm breakfast in bed, brought by a smiling lass! I could learn to like this monastic lifestyle." Then he watches Granita to check if her yawn actually does turn into a smile. No need to ask why she had difficulty sleeping.


Female Human

Granita smiles at Shayne, though the expression does little to soften the dark circles forming under her eyes. "A talent such as yours deserves to be waited on." Once Shayne begins to eat, Granita follows suit.


Male Human Monk

Mal'c considers the recent events and his words. As the confused look on his face slowly fades, he smiles at Silx with a calm wisdom.

“Brother Dow'mis has informed me that I am to lead our group directly to the master's chambers. I have never been asked to bring any outsider to see the master, let alone a group such as ours. I can tell you that it is custom among the monks to speak to the master only when spoken too. This is of course the way of the brothers and sisters who have dedicated their lives to the monastery. Beyond that, I must admit I am at a loss. From what Burand, the halfling you met at the keep, said - Tolin's attacks are becoming more brazen. If it weren't for the coming winter, many of our order would likely be tasked to confront him and his men. The cold may bring this valley a reprieve from the heat of hatred he has kindled, but I worry what preparations can be made before the thaw." Mal'c pauses and then speaks again, full of hope. "Perhaps the four of you have some part to play in what is to come."


filler of waterskins

Shayne looks at Granita, a surprised look briefly flashing across his face.

"Not talent, dear. Technique. Pick a reference to a classic song or poem or story. A traditional melody. A cliche emotion or theme. And a place or person. Ponder until it rhymes."

"Consider the first song you heard me sing..."

"The road is long and the night is cold.
Three days ago I became old.
My lady graceful, tall and brave
Was destined to an early grave."

"The classic story was one written by a human about a halfling, which you may know. The melody is Greensleeves. The emotion and place are a cold grave. My song took off on its own from there."

"Her clan is gone! She was the last
Of a noble family of glorious past.
I buried them with rain, earth and tears.
Who else will remember their days and years?"

"For the final stanza I changed the initial line slightly, which always tugs at the listeners' hearts nicely. I also tossed in another reference to 'the road' for good measure."

"The day is long and my heart is cold,
Numbed by pain. Dark fears grow bold:
My source of knowledge and strength is gone.
The road is wide. I walk alone."


Female Human

"You're spoiling all the mystery." Granita smiles and laughs.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

The evening hours pass uneventfully. Mal'c checks on the horse often, sometimes Sam follows. Between the small wood stove and the hot spring that feeds the small pool of water, it is easy to forget winter as it approaches. Brother Dow'mis prepares another meal during the night, though mostly he rests and meditates. He welcomes any conversation, but does not go out of his way to speak with anyone other than Mal'c.

As morning approaches he brings out a small supply of cured meats. He offers some to each of the group members.

Asking, "Would this serve you well on your journey to the monastery?" Once each group member has been offered some of the cured meat, Brother Dow'mis begins packing up food as he waits for a reply.

Cured Meat:
The meat is salty and smokey. It is difficult to know for sure, but it takes like a cut of cattle of some sort. Though it leaves you thirsty, it is a pleasant change from the rice, nuts, and vegetables.

Feel free to continue in character conversation. I'll post the beginning of the monastery journey this afternoon.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx remains much the same as Dow'mis, not starting any conversations but not turning anybody away either. He spends a lot of time off by himself either walking around or scouting

"Yes, thank you for the kindness"


filler of waterskins

Shayne chuckles wryly. "Mystery is highly over-rated. Much better is to retain your childhood sense of wonder -- or regain it if you have lost it -- so that you can experience wonder even when there is no mystery."


Female Human

"I'm not sure retaining anything of my childhood would be something I'd want to experience." Granita smiles sadly at Shayne.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx walks past Shayne as he moves towards the front of the group "Im with Granita on that one" he reflexively itches his back, then stops himself "So, Mal'c, want me in front again?"


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

Keeping much to herself and staying quiet, Caylen has tried to keep her distance from the group come morning and through the night. While her mind raced with all manner of nervous thoughts, sleep still took her easily, and waking was a struggle. Sam's offer of breakfast certainly doesn't go ignored, and while Caylen is of few words, she eagerly -- and gratefully -- takes the first warm meal she's had in days.

Watching the others' conversation from a modest distance, the young woman finishes her meal in silence. Once done, Caylen untangles herself from the blanket she slept in and does her best to straighten the crooked and wrinkles folds and ties of her silken robe, adjusting the three-layered garment as best as she can while maintaining her modesty.

Once completed, she makes a quick check of several supplies she's been carrying with her since the journey began. Unfolding a cloth from around a wooden box she has bound to the small of her back by a wide sash, Caylen reveals a sandalwood box with brass hinges containing threads, needle, gauze, small glass bottles filled with liquids and powders and a pair of shears. Checking the items for damage one by one, she seems pleased with their condition and closes the kit carefully before wrapping it back up and binding it behind herself, tucked into her wide sash.

She rummages through her satchel next, a few things clinking and clunking around inside. Once sure that nothing is unaccounted for, it is tied back shut and slung over her shoulder before she rises to her feet. Determined looking, with dark brows sternly furrowed, Caylen waits on the periphery of the group. She's come a long way to reach the monastery, and is openly eager to make the journey there.


Male Human Monk

Mal'c nods, "You may walk at my side until we reach the monastery. The sunrise will shortly make it easy enough for me to see."

As the group gathers, Brother Dow'mis passes out a small bundle of food supplies to everyone. Inside are several small biscuits, strips of cured meat, a handful of fresh beans, and a small chuck of hard cheese. These supplies can serve as three meals, or a day's journey.

Once everyone has a bundle, Mal'c nods and speaks again.

"I will need a moment to unharness the horse, but once that is done we can head out."

Sam follows Mal'c down the ladder. Once the horse is unharnessed, Mal'c calls up the ladder. "Come down when every you're ready."


Male Human Monk

After everyone has come down the ladder, Mal'c prepares to the group through the tunnel. As before, Shayne is in the rear holding Granita's hand. She has a rope tied to her waist, which Sam is holding while he leads the horse. Aak and Silx are near the front with Mal'c, while Caylen is between Granita and Aak.

"Brace yourselves for the cold. If we're lucky the weather will stay mild until we get to the monastery. The road is smooth in most places so we will travel at a fast pace. We will stop briefly for a midday break." Without another word, Mal'c turns and heads into the tunnel.

The cold breeze is startling when you emerge from the rock face. Thankfully the strong wind seems to be buffered by the surrounding mountain. Mal'c turns and heads up the road, which slopes up gradually as it heads west, turning slightly north as it goes.

Perception rolls for all.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Perc1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Silx wraps himself tight against the cold as he walks near the front, glad to have nothing to do except keep an eye out


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Perception 10 or greater:
The road is smooth for the most part. Though there is an occasional small hole, there is little to hamper the groups progress. The surrounding rock is mostly flat, going straight up. The rock joins in places, casting odd shadows as the sun rises in the sky. In spots there is dirt. These piles of dirts seem to have been disturbed recently.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak takes the warm bowl of food and enjoys, not knowing when his next warm meal will be. Not starting conversation is okay, he let's everyone cope and understand in their own way. Aak will take a bundle of food and give thanks to those who sheltered him his the others the past night.

Aak clutches the rope, making sure to peer back every now and then the make sure all others are not separatted and doing well.

Perception 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Perception 15 or greater:
You notice emerging from one of the piles of dirt there seems to be what appear to be the remains of wagon tracks. You can't be sure without looking more closely.


filler of waterskins

Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17

Shayne asks whichever monk is nearer about the wagon tracks.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Aak will quietly and discretely mention the disturbed dirt mounds to Mal'c, hoping they were the cause of this.


Male Human Monk

Mal'c scans the road, including the area Aak pointed out.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

With a hand, Mal'c signals the group to stop. He examines the dirt more closely.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

He turns, smiling. "It looks like the wagon made it ahead of us."


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

On hearing that the wagon beat them to the monastery -- and likely wasn't accosted by man-eating wolves -- Caylen quietly covers her face with one hand and then exhales into her palm to stifle a frustrated scream.


Male Human Monk

Fortitude rolls for everyone.

The journey up the mountain road continues as more of the sunlight makes it down, between the openings between the rock. After several hours of walking, Mal'c slows the pace and finds a relatively flat rock at the side of the road.

"We will rest and eat here. If we keep up this pace we will be at the monastery by the evening meal." Mal'c then retrieves the bundle Brother Dow'mis gave him and hungrily begins eating. After a few bites, he retrieves one of the waterskins and has several gulps of water.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Fort1d20 ⇒ 18

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Orc

Fort 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Aak huffs and puff at the brisk pace. Making sure that none is left behind in the trek. Knowing the wagon is safe he breathes a sigh of releif knowing that is one less thing to worry about. Aak can focus on getting his group there safe.


filler of waterskins

Fortitude 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Male Human Monk

Noticing Aak is struggling, Mal'c puts a hand on his shoulder. Re-roll Fort save for Aak.


Female Human Oracle (Life) [Planar Oracle] 2

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16
+2 to that if it is for cold weather from Caylen's cold weather outfit.


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Re-roll Fort for Aak: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

As the group stops for a bit, Aak manages to catch his breath. Everyone else has managed the pace without problem.


Male Human Monk

Mal'd finishes his meal quietly and begins to clean up. "Take your time. I'm just excited to get to the monastery. Mal'c smiles as he finishes cleaning up.

Feel free to toss up any meal time conversation that takes place before the meal ends. After everyone has finished their meal and seems ready to continue Mal'c continues as follows.

Mal'c nods, seeing that everyone has eaten their fill and packed up whatever they had taken out for the meal. Sam finished tending the horse and nods at Mal'c. Mal'c turns and begins walking, slowly at first.

"Not to much longer."

As the group continues on the road, they reach a fork. Continuing to slop up toward the north is the road Mal'c guides the group toward. To the west, leveling out is another road. "That road heads back out of the mountains to the southwest."

Perception rolls for everyone.

Hidden dice rolls:
P 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18; D 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (20) - 5 = 15


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Perc1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Male Half-Orc Monk 9 / Puppetmaster 2

Perception 15 or higher:
You hear rustling ahead.


Male Drow Rogue (Trapsmith) 2

Silx suddenly stops, bringing his hand up to stop everyone else. He turns around with his finger pressed against his lips to tell them to stay quiet. Silx draws the dagger he keeps palmed, then sneaks forward to try to see what made the sound

Perc1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Stealth1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


filler of waterskins

Shayne is too busy trying to put together a traveling song to notice the rusteling.

Today I am grading math tests. No actual song. Sorry!

701 to 750 of 2,663 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A sparce tavern, a dusty inn, and the looming mountains All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.