GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

Online Maps | Party Loot Tracker | Party Assets


251 to 300 of 2,769 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Donnell:

Raven Six opens her formula book to Donnell, her index showing that she has the following formulae:
Ant haul
Cure light wounds
Disguise self
Enlarge person
Expeditious retreat
Shield
Stone fist

Raven expresses an immediate interest in Adhesive spittle, Crafter's fortune, Heightened awareness and True strike.

"Ah," Raven says, looking from the Fox to the oracle. "You are undead? ... At the risk of offending, are there are details about your condition you might be willing to share? This is a fairly unique opportunity to gain an insight into the mindset of the transmortal."

Having said so, Raven nevertheless keeps Majenko close, shielding him from the ghost with her sleeves.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Huh? You're sayin' she's dead, but you're sayin' she came out of a card deck? Or do dead people often come from card decks?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn sighs inwardly to himself at Zellara's arrival and the hubbub that follows, entering last and closIng the door behind him. Finding a seat, he lowers his hood and runs a hand tiredly through his dark hair before he pinches some of the Fox's blend to roll with an appreciative nod.

"Zellara. Hello." He briefly raises his other hand in greeting, mostly to silently assure the newcomers that she is an ally. "I assume a reading is due."


.

You head into the room. The woman, apparently Zellara, smiles and sits down on a chair that just appeared behind her. Majenko has kept outside of the inn, but crawls in through an open shutter to perch on Raven Six's shoulder after you settle into the room. He looks at Zellara with wide, curious eyes.

"Thod, Raven Six. It is good to see you. My name is Zellara. I am a... companion of Sevenspawn and Donnell, and chose to wait to see how you performed with Barvasi before revealing myself. I am dead, you see. My son, and then I was killed by the crime lord Yargin Lamm, who has aggrieved many other people. However, I appear to still be here. I live on in a Harrow deck, as this was my trade and my passion. Donnell has the deck now."

A table appears before her as she continues to shuffle.

"My love is for this city. It is hurting, and the cards tell me that there will be great pains in the future. Disease, death, tyranny, and evil. Korvosa needs its heroes. I will do what I can to aid you. I can create great illusions, learn the secrets of powerful items, and of course perform Harrow readings. If you have questions, I can answer them to the best of my ability."

She shuffles her deck some more, looking at you.

"Do you have a questions for me? Or for the deck? If not, I will return to my slumber for now."

OOC version is that Zellara's Harrow Deck is an intelligent magic item which can hear and see. She can cast major image once a day, and can also cast identify 3x a day.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

RavenSix:
Donnell is happy (and somewhat proud) to share his knowledge with a true Alchemist. After much consideration, he decides on:

Cure light wounds
Disguise self
Enlarge person
Stone fist

Of course, he's also fascinated by, and would love to discuss at length, the formulae that they have in common. ("...but fish scales are free, and everywhere!)

"Well, we have been wondering about this" Shifting slightly, Donnell produces a dagger from somewhere. "We know it's magical but our former companion, Lorelei, was unable to provide any more information. As well..."

Donnell looks over at Sevenspawn: "What should we ask of the deck? Whether we are justified in working for the Guard and Crown? Whether treating with crime lords in the name of such is going to help the city in the long run? I feel like a dunk in the river would be an improvement over how I feel about our last mission."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

The cleric looks meets Donnell's gaze for a lengthy period of time, his face flat and revealing nothing. He drops his eyes to his paper, sealing the smoke with his lips. When he speaks, his voice is it's usual raspy tone.

"I do not think Zellara is here to help us justify our choices. Regardless, I am at peace with mine where it pertains to the King of Spiders."

Sevenspawn's brooding eyes flick to Zellara's image. "A reading of our present and future would be most helpful, lady. How can we best help the people? This is my chief concern."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Ahh, think I got it. You're dead, but you live on in the deck. And you'll help us out, do some readings, answer questions."

"Wish I had a question to ask. I mean, I'm told that smart people ask questions, but that's usually because smart people know what to ask. Like, if you don't know anything, you don't know what to ask about."

"City needs heroes? Don't think I'm a hero, but might as well help out these guys. Don't have anywhere else to go, really. Couldn't make it as a miner, couldn't make it as a smith, and couldn't really make it as a guard. Maybe I can do some good here."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Donnell:

Raven Six will be happy to copy Adhesive spittle, Crafter's fortune, Heightened awareness and True strike.
In addition to this, Donnell finds her a surprisingly animated discussion partner where it comes to formulae and the various minutia of the alchemical art.

"Why enquire about justification?" Raven Six asks, apparently puzzled. "We have been successful and the deed is done. It is time to move on and live with the consequences."

Turning to Zellara, she regards the apparition quizzically... and then asks: "What is the nature of the death, disease, evil and tyranny you foresee? Outside threats or internal strife?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Grumbling, more to himself than anyone else: "I just meant we should ask if we are meant to continue working for the Queen. The last reading said to seek her out - maybe we are done with that now? Maybe we find better ways to improve the city than joining forces with those who are actively destroying it?"

More loudly (and politely), and directed at Zellara: "I think what we are asking for is guidance, Mistress. Where do we go from here?"


.

Sorry for no post yesterday, long day of contract negotiations left me braindead.

Zellara frowns a little and then nods.

"I see a few questions here, but if we simply ask what your future has in store for you, and how you should best react, we will answer all of them. Perhaps."

The large cards dance and clack in her hands before she flips them out onto the table in front of her.

"The cards correspond with good, evil, law, chaos, and neutrality between them all. The columns are your past, present, and future. The meaning of each card is reflected in its position. Let us see what we have..."

THE JOKE --- THE TRUMPET --- THE PUBLICAN

THE HIDDEN TRUTH --- THE BRASS DWARF --- THE COURTESAN

THE FIEND ---- THE AVALANCHE --- THE LIAR

She starts from the left side.

"In the past we see the joke, which indicates the defeat of a foe through guile. The Hidden Truth in this case is literal - a secret. And finally the Fiend indicates mass death and evil. A great evil was defeated in the past... which is unknown to the present day."

She proceeds to read on the present.

"The present is very... powerful. The Trumpet is perfectly aligned and is a display of raw power in the best possible sense. While the Brass Dwarf indicates invulnerability. The Avalanche is pure disaster - an unthinking, unreasoning thing that overruns all who get in its way. I would read this to show your own place in Korvosa, which is that you have stood strong against the chaos in the city and done good by doing so."

She finally moves onto the future.

"The Publican is about teamwork - a clear indicator to me that your best work will be together. Now the Courtesan we have seen before. And this is a perfect match, meaning this card is the strongest on the board. Heed this card! It indicates a woman of power and political intrigue. And last we have.. sickness. Pestilence, famine, disease. Or perhaps corruption. This one is unclear, but a dangerous card to see."

Zellara spreads her hand over the board.

"I have read it twice and I am certain. An ancient evil was defeated in this city, one people are unaware of. This is significant, but I cannot tell why. You... the four of you are powerful and must remain together. You will do great good if you cooperate."

She taps the last couple of cards.

"As for your question on the Queen... the Courtesan is clear. She is in your future. Continue your work for her. And I cannot tell if she is a friend or an enemy, but I would be cautious. Her motives are unclear. But continue your work with her. And finally there is... corruption, or pestilence coming. Dark times are ahead, but your strength will overcome them."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six sits motionless for a while, apart from her eyes shifting left to right, right to left.

"To make full sense of this," she finally says, "I would propose purchasing texts of ancient history. In order to neutralize the prospect of plague, I should like to commence brewing of antiplague and various other anti-pestilence measures. Any objections?


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Quiet, pensive: "Hmm, I wonder if that betrayal will be against the Queen, or from her. But at least our path is clear."

Becoming more animated, and speaking to the group: "Mates! This is really quite fascinating! The past, present, and future all indicate a hidden, now growing, force of evil. Is this... could this be related to the fall of the King - the fall of all of Korvosa's kings?!"

Turning to the only other native Korvosan in the room, and forgetting his manners in his excitement: "Phaedran! Do you know what this could mean?! What if we are on the path to uncovering the reasons for The Curse? Hey, that's the second time she's said we are powerful, and there are only two constants between then and now." (nudge, wink)

Tripping over his own words, to the point of nearly speaking on top of himself: "Oh, Mistress Zellara, before you go, the dagger, please."


.

Sorry for sparse posting guys. I'll be back in tomorrow. In the middle of transition to Christmas vacation so it's causing some chaos.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn shakes his head at Donnell, barking a single short and tired laugh as he punches him lightly in the shoulder.

"Gods above, Fox... do not tempt me with conspiracies! I already see spies 'round every alleyway." He smiles slightly, thinking of the Queen's Brooch. "Perhaps the pestilence Zellara sees is my paranoia, and now you have caught it."

Sobering, he passes a hand at Raven Six, indicating no objections. "That seems a wise idea. My funds are at your disposal. I am hopeful that it will not be too long before The Everbloom channels her power through me to to remove diseases also.

"In the meantime," he finishes, looking at his smoke, "we must remember to remain wary of the Queen and her forces as we work for them. Our position is a precarious one, insofar as we do not want to find ourselves suddenly..." He waves his hand in a small circle, tiredly recalling an analogy he has used before."... well. Pseudodragons amongst the imps, if you will."


.

The dagger is held before Zellara, who inspects it before producing a card. She frowns, reshuffles the card, and produces another.

"The dagger appears to be completely mundane. No magical power at all. Just very beautifully constructed."

==============
Several Days Later
==============

In the days that follow, the riots continue to die down. Things are returning to normal in Korvosa. Yet, the streets still thrum with unrest and wild rumors. Crime is on the rise, particularly pick-pocketings, robberies, and assaults. People hiss about the usurper and the murdering harlot at the mention of Ileosa's name, and more shockingly, rumors that the king's death was not at all natural are increasing.

Unfortunately, the simmering tension is set off once again, and riots return. This time, the ire is not directed at the Queen, but at a single name unfamiliar to you: "Trinia Sabor".

The story goes that a guard was captured as a part of a plot to assassinate the King, and confessed to being in a plot with an artist who had been visiting the king while his health had been ailing. The guard's confession was wide and in public, and in a rage he was thrown out of the castle by Sabina, whom you all had met.

A city-wide witch hunt has now started off as people turn against each other in the search for this elusive artist, and after awakening to this chaos, you are quickly summoned to Cressida. Cressida looks very, very nervous and she brings you into a private chamber, dismissing anyone else and demanding complete privacy.

"You’ve doubtless heard the stories that the king’s killer has been named. Yet there’s something more going on here, I’m afraid. Queen Ileosa could have quietly had this Trinia Sabor arrested at any time, yet the way in which she revealed the information to the city seems to me like she wants the riots to come back. Certainly, with the mob and the Hellknights out on the street, the girl doesn’t stand a chance at a trial—they’ll lynch her the moment they fnd her. And even if she did kill the king, mob justice isn’t the way. Worse,
if she’s innocent, the real killer can use this distraction to throw us off the trail forever.

"Before Trinia is executed, we need to be absolutely sure she did this thing. And that means we need to catch her before the mob. We know where she lives—a flat in Midland at 42 Moon Street—but
soon, so will the mob. The Hellknights don’t seem to care as much about catching her as they do about containing the mob—something about the “order of law” makes it a greater priority for them to contain than a possible assassin. I can’t say I disagree completely, but the problem is, the Hellknights are only making it worse. The
mob’s covering most of Midland now, and Trinia’s flat is near the middle of the mess. I’ve got all available guards at work keeping things from getting any worse—and if I were to send them into Midland, they’d trigger a riot.

"I’m sure you can see where this is going. I need you to get into Midland, fnd Trinia, and bring her back to me so we can deliver
her, safe and sound, to somewhere where she can be interrogated—preferably with magic, so we can be absolutely sure about her role in Eodred’s death. Get in there, catch her, and get out without
letting the mob get its hands on her. I’ll have agents and ofcers nearby. If you can get her to one of them, we’ll be in the clear. Any questions?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

How much downtime have we had, and have I received laboratory space to work in?


.

Check discussions.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn has been largely absent for the week, checking in with Donnell each morning but preferring to spend his daylight hours reconnecting with his roots - with the Dead Kings specifically, as well the people in the Shingles as a whole. He remains away at nights, spending his clerical energies and healing herbs in the makeshift hospitals he sets up there nightly to heal the poor injured in the riots before sleeping hours at Zellara's instead of at the inn.

Upon his return the morning of the meeting, he has made some small equipment alterations. Gone is the small hand crossbow in favor of a larger, more impactful light version, and he sports a bandolier upon his chest with three or four throwing daggers sheathed upon it. Other smaller alterations are noticeable, but his regular reserved demeanor seems unchanged.

"Just one, at least for you, Field Marshal. Will you empower us in writing again? We may need the document to affect authority on Trinia - or the people, if they stand in our way." Sevenspawn looks to Donnell. "And can you procure us a disguise kit? If we need to whisk her away through a mob, it will help to alter her appearance."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"Sounds simple enough, assuming we convince her to come willingly."

Turning to Sevenspawn: "I can certainly procure the necessary items. However, I haven't quite finished refining my techique in the area of disguise. There is another possible solution: Raven6 will your extract of Disguise work on Miss Trinia? I have learned the rudiments of this extract, but alas, am unable to have it affect any other than myself. However, this does suggest a strategy. While the rest of you bring the real (hopefully disguised) Trinia back here, I can disguise myself as her and lead her pursuers on a merry chase around the Midlands."

While The Fox is untrained in Disguise, he could still attempt to mask Trinia's or his own appearance (or both), and use Inspiration rolls to make up the difference


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod looks at the cards uncomprehendingly, feeling like he's getting swept up in something he wasn't expecting. He's just a dwarf that couldn't be a soldier or a miner. What's this about great evils, and teaming up with these people? He doesn't even know these people? Weird tattooed woman, skinny weirdly fatalistic man, and skinny red-haired half man.

He falls back on old habits and stands at attention. Though he does take a quick swig from one of his canteens, looking at his current allies getting overly excited at the news.

=====
=====

Thod doesn't have much to do during the week. He spends his morning in military drills and weapon maintenance, and his evenings wandering the safer portions of the city to sample various ales.

Thod is honestly a little overwhelmed by the city. Even disregarding the riots, the chaos and bright lights are something he's simply not used to. Still, his stone-faced dwarven demeanour hides his nervousness, so he isn't taken advantage of.

=====
=====

As usual, Thod simply listens to everyone else. Go in, get somebody, don't let others kill her. Sounds simple enough.

So of course the group starts talking about disguises, potions, and other disguises. Thod tries his best to follow. Making out one bit, he turns to Donnell.

"You're going to disguise as her? Am I missin' something? I'm guessing she's human. And you're... kind of short. And even if you can, how are you going to run away from an angry mob with those little legs of yours?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"I'll have to see what she looks like first, I suppose. Luckily, most humans are not terribly observant (apologies to those present). But, don't you worry about me getting away from a mob..." he winks, broadly "I'm very sneaky"


.

Cressida shrugs wearily at Sevenspawn.

"I can provide a letter if you want, but you're going to the wrong part of town for this. Trinia lives in the Shingles of Midland. The last thing you want to be is a representative of the guard. I'll give you a letter, but use it in case you run afoul of the Hell Knights or Sable Patrol."

She looks a little confused at the plan Donnell has begun talking about, but waves it off.

"I trust you'll handle this however is best."

===============
A Few Hours Later
===============

The witch hunt in the city is in full force as the people take to the streets. Now used to making your way through the riot-torn city, you manage to avoid the worst of the bloodthirsty crowds, and eventually find your way to Trinia's address... which is around forty feet up in an insane tangle of ropes, bridges, and bits of rooftops. Occasionally, you see an imp fly overhead, likely to cause someone some grief. You have a reasonable guess of where she is, now it's just a case of your approach.

You're now out of sight in an alleyway where you can plot your approach. The clearest way up to her tenement is up a network of ladders. Hers is in some rickety apartments built over an older rooftop.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Quietly to the group: "Keep watch - I'll go scout things out."

Donnell will Take 10 on Stealth as he heads up the ladder (Stealth=11), keeping an eye out for Trinia and any potential hazards

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Majenko," Raven says. "Can you terminate that imp? Or at least force it down to where we might deal with it?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn watches Raven Six speaking to her companion in a strange tongue, admirIng the creature quietly from under his hood. Looking up at Donnell's position, he waits a moment and motions Thod to go next. His gaze turns back to her.

"I am very glad," he says in a low volume, "that you were able to free this creature. It speaks well of you. I have always appreciated them while growing up here, but have developed an even greater admiration for them since an incident recently where several of them saved us from imps." He pauses, checking Thod's ascent.

"How we treat the most helpless of our neighbours - in whatever form they take - shows our truest character. Your desire to save... Majenko, is it?... from his fate, shows yours. I am glad that you are with us, my friend, and my hammer and what power The Everbloom permits me to direct are fully at your disposal."

The cleric looks up the ladder again. "Your turn. I will take the rear."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Glancing down to see the others climbing up after him, Donnell sighs in exasperation.

Still trying to maintain some element of stealth and surprise, The Fox begins to scramble up the ladder more quickly. If nobody is keeping an eye on the street and other exits, his best hope is get to Trinia first before she detects their approach and scampers off.

Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

I had Sevenspawn "wait a moment" to give Fox time to get significantly ahead.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

I believe Donnell is referring to how he was going to 'scout' things. That is, scout the are, and then report back. Oh, well, things have been pushed.

Sevenspawn wrote:
Looking up at Donnell's position, he waits a moment and motions Thod to go next.

Thod looks up at Sevenspawn in confusion.

"Huh? He said he was going to scout the area first."

Even as he protests Sevenspawn's gesture, he still begins to make his way up the ladder, apparently deciding that either this was what 'scouting' meant to humans, or he just didn't care to actually argue the point.

*Clink, clank*

That breastplate, though not as resonant as a full suit of plate, was still hardly receptive to stealth.


.

Sorry guys I'm always surprised to find I have no spare time when on vacatino. Will update and sort stuff out ASAP.


.

Raven Six:

My favorite!

The imp lets out a yelp and vanishes as the pseudodragon takes off off after it, its barbed tail stabbing at the air. However, this is not the first imp the little dragon has encountered, and it pinwheels out of sight behind wobblky-looking hut as it chases its prey.

Donnell starts quietly scampering up, and it soon becomes apparent that this area is very, very inhabited. Even with Donnell going on quietly up ahead, the presence of the rest of you at the base of the ladder following at a distance attracts some attention.

"My, looks like there's a lot of HEAVILY ARMED PEOPLE climbing up here! What business brings ya 'round these parts folks?"

As Donnell climbs a good 20' up ahead, he hears a similar call.

"Lookit all those SWORDS and DANGER out around here! What could that be for?"

The calls go on up as he climbs, and finally Donnell comes to the tenement that Trinia is supposed to own. The door stands proudly in front of him. A quick scan shows that the door appears to be barricaded by some furniture.

The climb is a total of 40' up. Donnell has snuck his way up to the top, although the rest of you have been noticed by the various neighbors.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Trying to pitch his voice so it will carry to the other side of the door (and not to every other person in the building) Can I do a stealth check on my voice..., Donnell attempts to reason with Trinia (assuming she's inside). Simultaneously, he looks for any other possible ways into the apartment (windows, weak spots in the wall, maybe the door actually opens out....)
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Would a Knowledge/Engineering check help?

"Trinia? Half the bloody city is out looking for your head, including the Hellknights. My companions and I are hoping to get you to relative safety before they tear the Shingles apart. I promise you that you will be much safer with us than holed up here."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Hah! Natural 20!! Hello Korvosa, I've got some pretty beads here - give me all your land


.

The group continues advancing up behind Donovan, who hears no response from the tenement.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"It occurs to me that the young lady might not be receptive," Raven Six says. "What with the clear and present threat to her life, she may not believe anything you say."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"I agree wholeheartedly, but I was hoping to avoid taking her by force. Do you have any suggestions, other than simply forcing our way inside? I haven't seen any other way in, so it looks like we'll be pushing through the front door, which sounds more like a job for Thod than either of us..."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn sighs through his nose, waiting a moment and contemplating inwardly before coming up the ladder. He soon joins the others.

"Let me try." He presses against the door, speaking loud enough to be heard inside. "Trinia. I am Sevenspawn, Left Hand of the Dead Kings, Shield of the Shingles, priest of Milani. My companions and I are here to take you to safety... if we can." He places his hand on the door.

"Madam Sabor... the mob will close soon. Trust in me. As the Everbloom is my witness, I will do my best to see you safe... so your voice can be heard, and your story told."


.

Raven Six:

I chased the imp away! There's also a blonde lady running away from the tenement window on the other side. Do you want me to chase her away to?

Sevenspawn gives a stirring speech at the door, adding to the compelling diplomacy of Donnell. Unfortunately, there remains no answer from the tenement. It sits there implacably.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn looks upwards, and then at Fox.

"Let us check the rooftop. We must move quickly."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
GM SpiderBeard wrote:
The group continues advancing up behind Donovan, who hears no response from the tenement.

"Donovan?" Are you mixing up Donnell with my Halfling Fighter from way back?

GM SpiderBeard wrote:
"My, looks like there's a lot of HEAVILY ARMED PEOPLE climbing up here! What business brings ya 'round these parts folks?"

Thod contemplates as he hears this. While total silence has been lost, that doesn't mean they should just let these people sit around and watch.

"None of your business! Get lost, or I'll SHOW you what I can do with all this stuff! And maybe if there's something left, the rest of my crew can teach you a little lesson in sticking your nose where it doesn't belong!"

Intimidate check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Assuming the crowds don't get in the way, forcing Thod to give them what-for... Thod makes his way and reunites with the rest of the group, as they discuss strategy.

"Need me to bash the door?"

So how is Majenko communicating with Raven? Speaking in Draconian, meaning we can hear it, just not understand it? Or is it some sort of psionic communication?


.

@Thod - apparently. Donnell, if you become a belligerent pugilist blame Thod. And Majenko is telepathic and very shy.

The few neighbors looking out and calling out .. something yelp and dive back into their houses, shutting up as Thod yells at them. Thod looks for suggestions on bashing down the door, hears none, and gives it a wham.

WHAM

Thod's Strength Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

The door flies open!

This one-room flat combines all the amenities of a bedroom, a kitchen, and a painter’s studio into one fifteen-foot-square space, leaving little room for much else. A stack of cheese and bread sits on the counter next to several full waterskins, while the easel in the opposite corner holds a half-completed painting of an imp and a pseudodragon fighting atop a church steeple. A single window looks out over the tangled rooftops of the Shingles, while just under it, a woman sleeps in a curled-up position on a low bed. The window is open.

The woman in the bed does not stir as you step into the room.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

"Madam Sabor?"

Sevenspawn steps forward, scanning the rooftops through the open window a moment before crouching down beside the woman to check her health.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Heal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"This is a decoy," Raven Six says. "Majenko reports; the imp is gone, but a blonde woman is running away over the rooftops! You must give pursuit!"

Majenko:
'Try to herd her back to us if you can, but ONLY if you can do so without endangering yourself!'


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Wishing he had prepared different extracts (expeditious retreat would come in handy right about now), The Fox makes for the rooftops to give pursuit.
"Have Majenko point the way for me!"

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Majenko:
'Assist the Halfling, please.'


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

GM:
Assuming the decoy is just that, Sevenspawn will hop onto the rooftops after Fox, employing his Freedom of Movement ability if necessary.


.

This next section functions as a kind of minigame where you msut complete skill checks. Majenko's presence will give a bonus to skill checks as he helps out as best he can.

Sevenspawn pokes the sleeping body and his suspicions are confirmed; it's an illusion! The illusion conveniently falls away and the group all look out the window at Majenko's suggestion to spot a blonde form sprinting over the rooftops. All of you leap out of the window to give chase while Majenko flaps alongside her! Donnell scrambles over some cluttered rooftops to start giving chase to her.

Minigame Rules:

THE ROOFTOP CHASE

On the map are 15 cards which represent varying distances but around 20' each. On them are two skill checks. You have the following choices:

- Move 1 card. No skill check required, and you can take a standard action.
- Move 2 cards. Choose one skill check from the card you are on.
- Move 3 cards. Succeed at both skill checks.
- If your speed is 20 feet (Donnell/Thod) your skill checks are at a -2.
- Majenko can be used to grant a +2 to a skill check. He can move up to three cards freely as a move action.

Failing a skill check by more than 5 means you fall, with various consequences (unlikely to be certain death).

Initiative:

Raven: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Thod: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Sevenspawn: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Donnell: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Trinia: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Sevenspawn charges out first and finds himself staring a high ledge onto the next roof. If he looks around he may find a shortcut though...

Sevenspawn is up! Sevenspawn you can move one card and perform an action. Or you can make a DC 10 climb check or DC 15 perception check to move two cards. Make both checks to move three cards.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod is a Barbarian. His base speed is increased by 10 feet, and he isn't impeded by armour due to being a dwarf. (Also, he's only wearing medium armour.) I'm assuming the only effect is a -2 on checks for a slower speed, so I can ignore those?

Big ol' block of rules questions.:
What's the penalty for failing checks? (Below 5) Do you have to declare what you're aiming for, and failure means you don't proceed? Or do you just make the skill checks, and that determines how far you go?

So, for instance, if I try to move three squares, and fail a check, does that mean I only move two square, since I made one check? Or do I not make any progress at all? Does failing every check, but not enough to fall, mean I still make one square of progress?


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Highest dexterity - always rolls last for initiative...

Speaking of rules questions, "Majenko can be used to grant a +2 to a skill check." To one person? For the card she is on?


.

Thod and Donnell - correct! So Thod has no penalties.


.

While Sevenspawn tries to figure out his next move, Trinia leaps onto the next rooftop. Seeing Donnell a little closer to her, she turns and quickly casts a spell at him. Lights sparkle wildly in his eyes, but he shuts them before he's dazed.

Donnell's Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Everyone can take an action! Sevenspawn, Thod, Raven Six are on a card with a DC 10 climb, or DC 15 perception check. Donnell can take a DC 20 acrobatics check, or a DC 15 perception check. Again, you can avoid a skill roll and just move one card. Pick one skill roll for two cards, or roll both for three cards.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell tries to quickly close the gap by moving three cards.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 9 - 2 = 8
Perception: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 2 = 14

but rolls a one!! sorry guys, you're on your own

251 to 300 of 2,769 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.