GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

Online Maps | Party Loot Tracker | Party Assets


201 to 250 of 2,804 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

.

Was waiting on Raven whose actions could affect things but I'll push. And although you're tied together it's not quite a grapple. So you don't have options for pin and whatnot. It just means you can't leave the space.

Astonishingly, Thod is allowed to keep his armour, but drops his eighty or so weapons with the group as people start to crowd around the table, cheering wildly. Money starts getting poured onto the table as the thieves take bets on their man.

A particularly mean, brawny guy with a scar over his face steps up to face off with Thod. He has an irritating, high-pitched voice.

"Hah! You're gonna get stabbed shortie! You won't see it coming 'cause you'll be too busy starin' at me crotch! Aaaa hee he hee. Clumsy dullard like yourself'll be too busy trying to count to ten before ya get shanked! Hee hee!"

A knife is thumped into the centre of the table between the two of them as Thod's opponent babbles inanely. Devargo stands up, and saunters over to the table with a dangerous, catlike grace. He looks over at all of you.

"Well now friends, place your bets. Let's see how well your dwarf does against no-neck here."

The man on the table turns from throwing insults at Thod to protest.

"Hey! M'names..."

"No-neck," finishes the King of Spiders.

It is customary to lay down some bets. The guys on the other side don't appear to be betting more than a few gold each (likely not having more than that) but there are no limits as to what you can put down.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
Donnell "The Fox" wrote:

Donnell shrugs - knivesies it is then, I guess. Good luck knocking a dwarf off his feet!

Figuring there's not much use explaining the money-grab, Donnell takes the dwarf by the hand, guiding him over to the table. Speaking low and slow in dwarven: "Simple enough, Thod. They will tie you to a man. He'll try to knock you down. You knock him down first."

Thod replies back in dwarven, slightly more swiftly

"Høyre, kaste dem av bordet, eller stikke dem til det punktet de kan ikke stoppe deg fra å kaste dem av bordet. Hva var det om gull? Samle så mye som mulig for å også vinne?"

Dwarven:
"Right, toss 'em off the table, or stab 'em to the point they can't stop you from tossing 'em off the table. What was that about gold? Gather as much as you can to also win?"

GM Spiderbeard wrote:
Astonishingly, Thod is allowed to keep his armour, but drops his eighty or so weapons with the group as people start to crowd around the table, cheering wildly. Money starts getting poured onto the table as the thieves take bets on their man.

Thod begins stretching and flexing, limbering up. The astute may notice the slight hint of a grin start to creep into the corners of his mouth.

Quote:

A particularly mean, brawny guy with a scar over his face steps up to face off with Thod. He has an irritating, high-pitched voice.

"Hah! You're gonna get stabbed shortie! You won't see it coming 'cause you'll be too busy starin' at me crotch! Aaaa hee he hee. Clumsy dullard like yourself'll be too busy trying to count to ten before ya get shanked! Hee hee!"

"Count to ten? I only need to three, 'cause that's how long it's gonna take to toss your ass right off this table!"

Thod punches his palm a few times, his grin now quite noticeable.

Quote:
A knife is thumped into the centre of the table between the two of them as Thod's opponent babbles inanely. Devargo stands up, and saunters over to the table with a dangerous, catlike grace. He looks over at all of you.

Thod stomps on a stool to hoist himself up onto the table with the determination of a boulder rolling down a mountain. He turns to no-neck.

"Come on then, squeaker! We gonna do this, or do you just like hearin' your own voice?"

Thod has been notably changing as the fight approaches. Rather than a quiet, slow-witted individual, he's become energetic and boisterous. He hops from foot to foot on top of the table, flexing and punching his palms in eagerness.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Ah, Cryptothermis pseudobasileia," Raven says out loud, as she regards the pseudodragon. "Not in very good condition, but still."

Moving over to watch the knivesies fight, the Alchemist glances at the King of Spiders.

"Your Majesty, since wagers are traditional, what would you consider fair balance against Cryptothermis pseudobasileia, there? Shall we say, fifty gold?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)
Thjodrorir "Thod" Six-Picks wrote:
"Right, toss 'em off the table, or stab 'em to the point they can't stop you from tossing 'em off the table. What was that about gold? Gather as much as you can to also win?"

Blinking rapidly, Donnell hesitates slightly before replying: "uh ... ja, jeg trodde ikke du ... never mind. Jeg mistenker at du er sterkere enn du er fingernem, så bare avslutte det før vi alle få knivstukket ."

Dwarven:
"uh... yeah, I didn't think you... never mind. I suspect you are stronger than you are dexterous, so just end it before we all get stabbed."

As Thod climbs on to the table, Donnell tosses 5gp on the table before standing on Thod's stool for a better view. When the contest begins in earnest, The Fox actively tries to distract No-Neck by pretending to wobble and almost fall off of the stool:
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

and by 'getting bored' and pulling out coins and other small objects, tossing them in the air, and performing juggling, vanishing, and other tricks with them.
Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


.

we'll hold off on Donnell's distractions until the fight starts.

The raucous crowd suddenly goes silent at Devargo holds up a finger, looking right at Raven.

"Fancy words you have... Now then, now then, this little creature was a gift to us, hrm? Not too long ago. We're not bored with it. The little dragonses are hard to catch... nimble and clever they are. Good in a fight with a dream spider."

He looks over Raven Six and then the others.

"We'd sell it for no less than five thousand for certain. But if you want an interesting bet, then perhaps we can figure one out. Make us an offer - what can you put up against my little dragon?"

Raven Six:

Please! He is so cruel! He makes me fight huge spiders!


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Expertise," Raven says. Very slowly, she approaches the king, her hands in clear view, and points at his gauntlet.
"I am an Alchemist. You are beyond question a skilled creator of toxins through blending and study. But to me, the creation of alchemical compounds and toxins is a science. More than art or talent, I am lead by method and the knowledge of my predecessors. I can take your creation, break it down to its basic building blocks, and then rebuild it into a monster. Will that do?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

At the table, Sevenspawn leans down to Donnell, his eyes still watching Thod.

"I propose a side bet, my friend. Five hundred on our dwarven companion, from our bag. Look at him. He's going to.." He searches for a word, shakes his head once, and grins suddenly.

"Just look, is all. What say you?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell's eyes skitter nervously around the room: "If you can find someone, preferably multiple someones, to cover that bet, then go for it. Such a large bet in one place is likely to attract unwanted attention though - be careful!"


.

Raven makes her offer to Kevargo who looks over her. He grins a wide, malevolent grin.

"We think this is more interesting than a little dragon to play with. If your dwarf wins, you gets our little dragon. If our man wins... you work for us. And we kill those who don't work well."

He looks over the thug on the table spouting mindless insults at Thod.

"You there. If you win, you are hired. And rich. If you lose..."

Devargo heads back to his throne, and opens up a small chest. He produces a bag of coins, which he pours on the table. At least five hundred gold.

"I won't letcha down yer Majesty! But.. if I lose?"

Devargo winks and waggles his bladed gauntlet.

"Don't lose. TEN!! NINE! EIGHT! SEVEN!"

The other thugs start piling money on the table.

"SIX! FIVE! FOUR! THREE! TWO! ONE! GO!"

Initiative:

Thod's Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Thug's Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Sevenspawn: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Raven: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Donnell: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Coins: 1d10 ⇒ 2
Stab: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

The goon seems to pick up on something Thod missed, and is moving even before Devargo says go. With a howl of glee, he picks up the dagger first before he lunges at Thod. Thod just catches the man's wrist, blocking the attack.

Everyone is up! Thod is unarmed and can now act. The rest of you are free to attempt to influence the fight however you want. There may, of course, be consequenecs for certain types of action. Donnell has front-loaded his action as an aid another.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"WHAAA-HAA! TIME FER SOME FUN!!"

Thod gives out a loud, boisterous laugh as the fight begins in earnest.

Fly into a rage as a free action.

He's a little slow on the draw, but easily deflects the knife stab.

"DON'T WAVE THAT LETTER OPENER AT ME! FIGHT LIKE A MAN!"

Thod pulls his right arm back HARD, yanking the strap, and attempting to pull the man right off the table.

STANDARD: Reposition the man off the table.

Okay, reading Reposition, it looks like it shouldn't technically work, since you can't reposition the target into a dangerous space, like a pit. Hence the reason I asked if we were considered grappled earlier, since there are rules for moving a person into a dangerous space while grappled. Notably, they get another check to escape the grapple with a +4 bonus.

So, how would you rule the attempt to use the strap to yank the guy off the table? Pseudo-reposition? Grapple? Do you want me to make a successful grapple check first? Not going to make any rolls until I can get confirmation on what I can do. Also worth noting that in most of these cases, I'm going to provoke an attack of opportunity.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn nods once to Donnell, slapping his shoulder and standing up. His eyes are alive; it feels like home. Though he has not been gone so long, it seems a lifetime.

"Two hundred fifty gold on our dwarf," he says loudly. "I offer you first chance at the wager, O' King."


.

@Thod - we have to kind of wing it here, but it's a good move. I'm going to blend the rules. Make your CMB check to pull him off, and he gets a CMB to try and block it in lieu of escaping the grapple. It's fairer than a one-roll win.

Devargo drops a terse nod to Sevenspawn as he watches the fight.

"Why not, you lot are interesting to us."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

By the rules, since he's armed, he does get an Attack of Opportunity on me. Current AC is 15 since I'm raging. Any damage he deals is added to his CMD as a penalty to me.

Reposition check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Probably not with a roll like that, though.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

I'm not sure I rolled high enough to distract by way of Aid Another, but if so, that might improve your Reposition


.

Thod gives a mighty yank on the leather strap, but the thug drops his centre of balance and manages to cling to the back of the table. He springs back up, cackling like an idiot.

"Hahaha! Shorty got no pull! I'll show ya something to pull ya little bastard!"

Raven and Sevenspawn can take actions if they so wish.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
GM SpiderBeard wrote:
"Hahaha! Shorty got no pull! I'll show ya something to pull ya little bastard!"

"I know you're lonely, but that doesn't mean you gotta whip it out at every opportunity!"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Snapping his fingers with delight at Devayne's acceptance - some of it genuine, truth be told - Sevenspawn looks back to the action.

With the briefest of glances at the King of Spiders, the cleric mutters a prayer to his goddess as he touches his holy symbol under his cloak.

The spell is Bless, giving +1 attack and damage to all allies for the next two minutes.


.

GM Rolls:

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Raven watches the fight intently as Sevenspawn starts praying to his God. The prayer is a little more subtle than other overt displays of divine power, and goes unnoticed.

The thug strapped to Thod stabs at him before swiping at the coins. This time he manages to find a chink in Thod's armour and slams the dagger into his side. Blood seeps through and starts to pool on the table. A huge cheer goes up and Devargo winks over at Sevenspawn.

"Hee hee! Gotcha!"

Thod takes six damage. Everyone is up!\


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell continues in his efforts to distract:
Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Rage used: 1 round

"Baah! 'Bout time yeh started fightin' like a man! Now let me show you how it's done!"

Thod yanks the wrist cord again, though this time to bring the guy in up close and personal.

Grapple check on the thug. Provoking an attack of opportunity. Note I forgot to adjust my AC for the rage.

Grapple CMB check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Note he'll get a bonus on his CMD equal to any damage he does on the Opportunity attack.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Despite feeling a little too "at home" for his own liking, Sevenspawn makes a concentrated check of the room for anything that might be untoward.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


.

GM Rolls:

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
AoO: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
CMB: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Thod yanks the thug into a nice, close embrace and his powerful arms grab the thug in a headlock, ignoring the dagger as it bounces off of his armour. Sevenspawn scans the area, but is unable to spot anything that looks too out of the ordinary. The thug wildly struggles in an attempt to free himself but fails to do so entirely.

I'm pushing through rounds as Thod posts since the group can only participate so much. Everyone is up again! Thod has grappled the thug.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Do you have many such inferior applicants for employment?" Raven disingenuously asks of the Spider King. "Perhaps you should develop standardized tests to refine your potential labour pool."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell appears to be considerably bored by the proceedings, and scatters a dozen gold coins into the air over his head, attempting to catch each as it falls.
Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Second verse, same as the first!
Six is my favourite number!


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Rage left: 6/9

STANDARD: Begin with maintaining the grapple.
Grapple check: 1d20 + 7 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 5 = 25

Thod pumps his fist in the air, gives a dictation-free scream, and delivers a Moss-Covered Three-Handled Family Credenza hoists up No-Neck to bodyslam him off the table. Preferably onto a chair.

Apologies for the non-wrestling fans who don't get the joke.

Anyways, as my grapple, I attempt to reposition the goon off the table. He gets a free check to break the grapple, with a +4 bonus. His target number is 18.


.

CMB: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Donnell continues to do amazing adequate feats of sleight of hand to the interest of absolutely nobody, unfortunately.

Devargo glances over to Raven sidelong. He smirks.

"What do you think this is?"

People have started to pour in from the outside hallway as Thod and the thug continue to wrestle on the table. The thug tries to pull out of the headlock, but Thod simply flips him up into the air, catches him by the waist, and sends him crashing to the ground.

WHAM!

End of Combat

There's a roar from the crowd as countless side-bets start changing hands. Several hands help Thod down from the table, and the winnings are quickly grabbed and divvied out.

Devargo looks annoyed and for a brief moment, glances at a lever beside his throne. He then scowls and instead tosses a bag of coins to Sevenspawn and after staring foully at Raven, he tosses her a key.

"Take the dragon. You have not heard the last of us on this."

There's some commotion as those who bet on Thod's side take their winnings, and finally the room is cleared. Devargo is obviously not happy, but he speaks anyways.

"We have what you want on the ambassador. What do you have for us?"

The group earned 86 gold each from the main table, Sevenspawn got 500 gold in a side bet, and Raven has freed a pseudodragon![


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven walks over to the pseudodragon's cage and frees the little creature, holding it in her arms as though it were a housecat. Her face impassive in spite of the gentle gesture, the Alchemist rejoins the others.

"In spite of your setback, your majesty," she says, "you are clearly a man of your word. And I am sure we all respect you for it, in addition to recognizing it as the cornerstone of sensible business."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn catches the bag and hands it to Donnell without checking the contents, looking instead to Thod's wound for a few moments with the contents of his medicine bag. He addresses the halfling as he does so.

"You tell him, my friend. Let me see to this."

Heal: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

"Impressive work," he tells Thod as he applies a salve. "When we are away, I will heal this injury properly."

If no one looks to No-Neck, Sevenspawn will check his injuries after he finishes with Thod, quietly advising him to seek employment - and perhaps refuge - elsewhere.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

"Would knowledge of a plot against the Queen by a prominent noble family be of use to you?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

GM Note:
You forgot to give No-Neck his +4 bonus for resisting being moved into a 'dangerous' area. Or did you decide that off the table didn't count as being 'dangerous?' Fortunately, even with +4, he wouldn't have made it.

Thod hoots in victory, waving his free fist in the air as he's helped down. After the rope is untied, however, he walks over to no-neck and offers a hand up.

"Good match! What's your name, friend? Worthy foes deserve to have their names known."

He also offers a gold piece to the warrior. "Buy yourself a nice drink, on me. You earned it!"

Soon, after a bit of panting, Thod calms down, saying nothing as Sevenspawn tends to his injuries. He simply reclaims his weapons, gathers his share of the gold, and stands to the side.


.

Raven Six:

Thank you thank you thank you. I will serve you just as I promised. My name is Majenko. Please don't hurt me and I will be good to you.

Good catch, and yeah - he would have failed regardless.

The vanquished thug looks at Thod, and then fearfully at Devargo.

"No-neck," he mutters. "Also Samo." He takes the coin and nods to Thod before he's lead out by his fellows, who are obviously upset with him.

Devargo drums his fingers on his "throne", still occasionally glancing over to the pseudodragon in Raven Six's arms irritably. However, he does seem interested by Donnell's proposal.

"This could be a good trade. You tell us what it is about, but not who it is. If it is not a fair trade, we will decide its value, and you will pay the difference for the little love letters."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Majenko:
'Puzzlement. Abstraction. Hostility = negative. Harm therefore = unnecessary / illogical. Reassurance offered.'

Raven watches the exchange with a detached kind of interest, and offers the little pseudodragon one of her rations.


.

Raven Six:

.... come again?


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Donnell bows apologetically: "Forgive me, your majesty - it seemed prudent to determine your interest in the information prior to divulging too much of it. Information is a coin that cannot be recovered once spent.

"I am referring to House Harkonnen Arkona, which, until recently, was covertly operating, through an intermediary, an unlicensed butchery in North Point. The specialty of the house was long pork... The ignorant swab we captured also admitted to openly trying to incite rebellion against the crown."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven frowns a little, her eyes going out of focus as she seems to be considering something complex.

Majenko:
'Apologies. Communication paradigmic differences. Realign. I. Will. Not. Harm. You. It. Would. Be. Wrong. Comprehension = positive / negative? Do. You. Understand. Me. Now. Query.'


.

Raven Six:

... sort of? Are you well? I think one of your kind is a healer. Is it easier for you to speak? I don't like to make noise... it's how I got caught.

Devargo's eyebrows raise.

"Well now, this is interesting. I heard tell of the Cow Hammer Boys but the fact Arkona may have been involved..."

Devargo throws back his head, laughing loudly. He then nods once to the group, affirmatively, apparently delighted with the news. Turning to his side, he rummages through a chest before producing several letters.

"This is a fair trade. You will tell us the names of everyone involved, and we will give you these letters. These letters are love letters from Amprei to a lady in Cheliax who is... well, shall we say powerful, important, and very married. He does not want anyone else to have these, oh no, but we know his games in Korvosa and we do not approve. This is a good trade. Who in Arkona organized the Cow Hammer Boys?"

In case you don't recall, you do know that Verik Vancaskerkin's lover was Vimanda Arkona.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Majenko:
'Negative = No. I. Am well. Different modes of thought. Between us. Communication differences. No malfunction / I am well. Bear with me. Rethinking. Attempting to improve communication.'

Raven's eyes snap back into focus.

"Ah, the gentleman in question is an adulterer in a nation with a politically powerful and harshly legalistic religion. As a violator of various taboos and infringer on personal and religious oaths, he is indeed in a weak position. These letters should be very good ammunition."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Thanks! I didn't remember that part :) I don't see any other names to provide him, however.

Donnell smiles nervously at Devargo's laughter (this guy's been out on the water too long).

Approaching Devargo to accept the letters: "Thank you, Your Majesty. This should help us in our future endeavours. Master Verik, a member of the Guard gone rogue and the dupe running butchery, was the lover of Mistress Vimanda Arkona. That is where I would look to find to root of the treachery."


.

Sorry for pushing along without posts from Sevenspawn and Thod, but the rest of this scene is an inevitability.

The little dragon in Raven's arms looks at Raven with an expression of pure confusion but then nods and rests his chin on her arm.

Devargo's grin is incredible. Without a word, he tosses the letters to Donnell.

"I've lost my little toy and some coin, but I've gained something much more valuable. A pleasure doing business with you."

His smile fades.

"Now get out." He looks at Raven Six. "And you, we may speak with you later. The little bet may have been lost, but we think there's more to talk about here... later."

Before you can really counter or retort, you find yourself being firmly escorted out.

[ooc]Congratulations on the completion of this mission. YOu can take a spot of downtime and do some shopping or pursue side interests, or we can push to your next meeting with Cressida. The 1000 gp bribe for Devargo is now yours to spend, so the loot tracker has an extra 1k added. Or in short everyone gets 336 gold each. If Sevenspawn wants to share his winnings, that's up to him.[/oooc]


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

As soon as the group is well away from the Spider King's ship, Raven speaks in a musing tone: "I... do not like that man. I would not enjoy dealing with him again. Nor talking with him. He... offends."

Having said that, she gently strokes Majenko's back and addresses him: "Do you require a healing draught? I have one prepared for the day."

Looking at the others, she adds: "This gentleman has introduced himself to me. He is an intelligent being."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Aside from shaking Samo's hand as he left, Thod doesn't have much to say, simply calming down and trying to follow the barrage of words and diplomacy flying around. As he tends to do when uncomfortable, he stands upright, playing the part of a stalwart guardian.

He's still lost on what's been offered, and what was exchanged, but he did his part, so he simply nods and follows the group.

Thod does raise an eyebrow. He can't follow the details of the conversation, but he can tell this Devargo guy did just threaten a comrade in arms. Weird girl she may be, but that doesn't mean she's free to threaten. You just don't do that.

Raven Six wrote:
As soon as the group is well away from the Spider King's ship, Raven speaks in a musing tone: "I... do not like that man. I would not enjoy dealing with him again. Nor talking with him. He... offends."

"I get the sense he don't care what you want. That was a threat, plain and simple. And I don't like people slinging threats at friends... Or strange tattooed women I just met today, but still."

Raven Six wrote:
Looking at the others, she adds: "This gentleman has introduced himself to me. He is an intelligent being."

Thod looks at the little scaly thing.

"Intelligent? Guess he's smarter than me. Nobody's ever called me intelligent." Thod says this with a hint of resignation. "Uhh... by the way, I'm still a bit hurt, here. Did get stabbed in the fight. Don't suppose any of you got something for that?"

So, is that 336 gold in total including the amount we just got from the betting pool? Because I already recorded that on my character sheet.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Ah. Of course," Raven says, and hands Thod a vial of something syrupy and bright yellow. "To your health. You fought very impressively. Be warned, though, I am told this solution tastes like... 'feet wrapped in more feet'."

Infused extract of CLW for 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

*Gulp*

"Huh, tastes like my final attempt to make mead before my brewing instructor gave up on me. Thanks."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Check the loot sheet linked at the top of the page - 86gp from the betting, 250gp from the Guard

Jogging to catch up to Raven6, Donnell begins rambling excitedly: "Was that a healing extract? How is that done? Would you care to compare notes? I bet I have a few formulae that you've never seen!"

"Does anyone else care for a drink and a rest before we check in with the Guard?"

This is a bit of a ruse because, if there's time, and assuming Raven6 is willing to trade, Donnell will spend the time copying her formulae into his own book (I believe at a cost of 1 hour and 10gp per 1st level formula. Do I roll Spellcraft checks as a wizard would?). Likely he will also indulge in some drink and smoke as well...

Also, I think we've mentioned previously, whenever there's a spare moment, Donnell and Sevenspawn would like to ask Zellara's spirit to identify the silver dagger.


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 82/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn falls mostly silent for the journey, bowing slightly to Devayne as they depart
and mumbling short words of greeting to the pseudodragon. He remains this way for some time, following the group.

The 250 gp bet came from the 1,000 gp bag; the winnings were returned in full to it to Donnell, and now total 1,250. I will remove 300 gp of the 500 in my own stock to cover the 50 I spent on drinks and people on the boat and the 250 I offered as a tribute to the KoS. Sevenspawn requires none of it returned.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

ok, sorry for the confusion - I didn't realize that SS had used party money for his bet. I've updated the tracker. We each have 398.5 coming to us. If you've already added on the 86 each from the GM's previous post, then it's 312.5 gp

- general bets = 86 gp each
- Payment from the Guard = 250 gp each
- Sevenspawn's bet = 62.5 gp each


.

While we work through downtime feel free to do any shopping you need at the side. The city is back to functioning at this point in time, albeit barely.

You all pile into the Three Rings Tavern. Free room and board, a line of credit for drink, and a relatively empty area makes it almost completely your own. The bartender, Ysania, is a husky, red-haired woman who is loud and pleased to have at least a few rooms bankrolled by the city.

Soon you are all upstairs, settling into your rooms and getting comfortable. At one point you are all walking past Donnell's room, without any warning, a middle-aged Varisian woman appears in front of you, a Harrow deck in her hands. She smiles and points into Donnell's room.

"Sevenspawn, Donnell, you should probably introduce me to your new friends. Let's have a seat."


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +18; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour, +2 natural); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"I am willing to exchange on a basis of equality, a formula for a formula," Raven replies to Donnell's request.

At the Three Rings, Raven ensures that Majenko has enough to eat and drink before she sees to her own needs -- which turn out to be slight. Some bread, boiled vegetables, boiled water.

The woman's apparition causes the Alchemist to blink in momentary confusion.
"Yes," she says. "An introduction might be helpful."
She holds out a hand to shake that of the stranger.
"Raven Six. And you are?"


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 55/115 {85/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"Huh? Who'sat?"

Thod is rather confused at weird women appearing out of nowhere, though the fact it seems to know Sevenspawn and Donnell puts him... somewhat at ease.

He heads inside the room, though he doesn't introduce himself yet. Just because she knows those two, doesn't mean she should know him.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge)

Raven Six:

Raven Six said wrote:
"I am willing to exchange on a basis of equality, a formula for a formula"

"Fair enough. I will provide you with a list of the formulae I know - let me know if any are of interest to you"

True Strike: +20 attack, negates concealment
Crafter's Fortune: +5 on next Craft check
Adhesive Spittle: As per tanglefoot bag; range 15', auto-hit
Heightened Awareness: +2 Perception & Knowledge; +4 Initiative
Shield: +4 AC & negates magic missile
Expeditious Retreat: Adds 30' to base land speed.

Donnell doesn't have the ability (yet) to allow others to use his extracts on others - they only work on himself - so something like CLW is of limited usefulness to the group, but Donnell will want to collect as much knowledge as he can, so he'll take whatever formulae you are willing to part with


Damn, I guess Donnell didn't get a halfling-sized room :P

Nonplussed by the sudden appearance, Donnell moves to open his room. Casually remarking to the others: "Perhaps we've mentioned the oracle's spirit trapped in a Harrow deck? This is Zellara."

Motioning for the others to follow him into the room, Donnell drops his bag at the foot of the bed before clambering up onto it to make room for the big folk. Expecting to have to interpret a Harrow reading without Lorelei's help, Donnell settles in and begins the process of cleaning, filling, and lighting his pipe.

201 to 250 of 2,804 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.