GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Barvo Delancy

Chapter 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

Online Maps | Party Loot Tracker | Party Assets


301 to 350 of 2,774 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn attempts to move three cards, using Liberation to remove hindrances to his free movement if required.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Climb: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 1 = 7

Nope!


.

Sevenspawn: 1d4 ⇒ 2

Sevenspawn bravely leaps off of the roof, and plummets out of sight. There are several loud clashes and bangs, and he hits the ground below.

Falling Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 5) = 8

Donnell is a little luckier, and barely manages to keep his footing after a bad jump. He does not move this turn.

Sevenspawn has fallen from the roof and takes 8 damage. A DC 15 climb check can get you back up, or you can push through the crowd to follow from the street. Donnell failed one check by more than 5, but not two, so he does not move. Thod and Raven Six are up!


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod's a little slow on the uptake, but does figure out that their target is trying to make a getaway across the roofs of Korvosa. He barges out the window, barely able to hold his polearms in their quiver, quickly glancing around to find the most advantageous route to pursue.

I'm going all in. Two checks for three squares.

Climb check DC 10: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (9) + 7 - 3 = 13
Perception check DC 15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

He spots a sturdy overhang that he quickly climbs down, and a somewhat hidden outcropping to easily bridge a gap between two buildings. Despite his breastplate and his stubby dwarven legs, he manages to gain significant ground on the fleeing target.


.

Thod shows amazing progress as he clambers across the rooftops, spotting an expression of shock on his target's face. Raven Six quickly sends Majenko to assist Thod while she conservatively moves forward.

Trinia turns, casting a quick spell at Thod as she tries to keep him off of her.

Thod's Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Down on the street, Sevenspawn manages to dust himself off and sees the rooftop chasing going on well over his head.

Thod is dazzled and has a -1 to perception checks and attacks! Everyone is up!


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn follows on the ground for now, making his way through the crowd.


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"Bloody hell, girl! We're trying to save your life. You've a better chance trying to escape the noose of this mob and Hellknights with our help."
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 6 + (4) = 18
burning an Inspiration point to up the ante


.

"You've got a funny way of showing it!" she calls over her shoulder.

Sevenspawn starts to make his way to follow on the rooftops. Most of the crowd are aware of a commotino but don't seem to think its connected to Trinia - a good thing considering the city is in a riot looking for her. Unfortunately, the crowd is not easy to get through.

Sevenspawn can make a DC 12 strength check or DC 15 streetwise check to advance from the ground.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod stumbles a little as the spell hits him, though he quickly gets back up to speed, blinking rapidly in an attempt to shake the spots out from his eyes.

He tries to spot a way to gain more ground on the woman. He sees a narrow gap between two tall buildings, but decides there's no way he could squeeze through that. A thought comes to mind on trying to lure Trinia to an isolated roof, but he pushes it out of his mind, doubting he'd be able to.

He settles for following Trinia's path. Hearing Donnell's words don't have an effect, he tries with his own words.

"DAMN IT, WOMAN! SLOW DOWN! YOU CAN TALK WITH US, OR TALK WITH THEM!" he shouts, pointing at the assorted people below, and perhaps a hellknight or two.

Move one square forward, and spend a Standard to attempt a quick Intimidate. DC is 10 + target's Hit Die + target's Wisdom Mod.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Note that, a standard action Intimidate is a Demoralize, which will only Shaken the target.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"You have my personal guarantee that we mean you no harm," Raven Six calls out to the fleeing woman. "My boon companion Majenko has even rid the airspace of an imp who would have lead less diplomatic people right to you. Please cease your escape attempt."

Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 17.


.

"YOU ARE THEM!" she shouts as she keeps fleeing. Thod comes to a scary-looking jump and takes a little bit to navigate a safer route, keeping pace with Trinia. The intimidation attempt does not seem to take.

Donnell, Sevenspawn, and Raven Six are up!


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn attempts to make his way along on the ground, hoping to be there if she should fall. He pushes his way through the crowd, running hard.

Strength: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

GM:
Can I cast buffs from down here if need be?


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Sighing expansively, Donnell mutters to himself: "Far be it from me to solve all of my problems with poison, but this s%!$ is getting out of hand."

Crouching he quaffs a True Strike elixir, and takes aim with his crossbow:

Light Crossbow Attack: 1d20 + 6 - 2 + 20 ⇒ (13) + 6 - 2 + 20 = 37
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3 + Drow Poison (Fort 13)

I added a -2 for distance. Currently, the map shows that Trinia is 80' away, which is the max range, but I think maybe you forgot to move her for this round


.

My mistake, it should be Trinia's turn.

Trinia hesitates a moment as everyone tries to call after her, but then shakes her head, turning to run.

"I can't trust anyone!"

She doesn't cast the dazzle spell, however, and just hops another rooftop.

Okay, next round starts. Sevenspawn takes his action to move a square ahead and everyone else is up!


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

I gotta admit, I'm curious as to how a Diplomacy check can cover ground on a rooftop chase.

Thod continues charging forward, again seeing no way to close ground any quicker.

He tries yelling again.

"YOU'RE JUST MAKING YOURSELF MORE TIRED, YOU KNOW! I CAN RUN ALL DAY!"

Move one square forward, and another intimidate check. Trinia will get a +5 bonus to her save, due to previous failures.

Intimidate: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Again, if successful, she'll only be shaken.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Climb 1d20 ⇒ 19
Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"Communications appear to have broken down. This is regrettable," Raven Six says, as she puts on a sudden burst of speed. "I will apologize to you when convenient."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Belay that order, mate! Sorry for jumping ahead everyone - I'll try to be more patient.

As Trinia appears to be wavering, Donnell decides he should try to catch up to her instead of shooting her in the back (for now...), and will instead move forward three spaces.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 9 - 2 = 18
Strength: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17

Re: Diplomacy checks - if I were you, I'd just assume Thod has to negotiate using someone's windowsill/rooftop home to move through a certain area


.

What Donnell said. You're basically stopped by a person and you're trying to get past them.

Raven bursts into speed as she scampers across roooftops and Raven, Thod, and Donnell find themselves all abreast as they chase down the fleeing bard! Trinia turns to see three of you bearing down on her, and she turns to leap to the next roof, stumbling a little as she tries to escape. Trinia fires off a quick daze spell, which Raven ignores.

Raven's Will Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Everyone is up!


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"You're right - you shouldn't trust anyone. On the other hand, at least we aren't trying to kill you (unlike everyone else in the city)."

Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 - 2 = 17
Perception DC 15: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 8 - 2 = 19

Catching up to Trinia, Donnell holds both (empty) hands up in front of him: "Alright lass, we're just trying to help."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn, watching the rooftops as best as he is able, continues to try to push himself through to somewhere below Trinia's position.

Strength: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

He casts Light on his shield, hoping to half-scare the people in the way as he runs, shouting for them to move aside.


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

"YYAARRRGGHHH!"

All in.

Climb DC 10: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 3 = 19
Perception DC 15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Thod is able to scout out a shortcut by scampering up one building, and then runs and jumps to land right beside Trinia. Unfortunately, he completely spoils Donnell's attempts at diplomacy by going for a raw tackle.

Not sure what sort of action we use at this point, if any, now that we've caught up. Thod moves to grab her, be it an actual action or just flavour.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Climb1d20 ⇒ 12

Raven tries to keep up and catch up,
"Oh, dear," she mutters as Thod goes for the grab.


.

Thod finally leaps across the rooftops, and runs up to Trinia. She screams and falls as he catches up with her, and starts sobbing hysterically, knowing that she can't outrun the group. Thod grabs her in his extremely strong grip.

"PLEASE LET ME GO! I didn't kill the King, I was set up! I don't want to die!"

End of Combat

Sevenspawn makes his way back up to the roofs, and you duck into an abandoned shanty with your prisoner. She cries constantly, but is looking around frantically for a means to escape.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"I can not honestly say that I wish for you to die, either," Raven Six says, cocking her head at Triana in a curious manner. "Does that help?"

Turning to the others, she adds: "If we can ourselves determine whether the young lady is actually guilty of anything.... Might we perhaps 'not have found her'?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

"That's not a bad idea, Raven6, but regardless, I think we have to find a way to ensure her safety from the mob. Let's find out her version of events first, then we can decide how to proceed."

Turning kind eyes on the young woman, Donnell gently tries to encourage her to elaborate on her story: "Now then, can I get you anything? Are you hurt? No? Well, perhaps a sip of something harsher will help you relax." Taking a swig (to show there's nothing untoward) Donnell offers his flask.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

"Start at the beginning, Trinia. Tell us your tale."
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod sneers and grumbles when the group mentions letting her go.

"That ain't what we're here for."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Glancing back over his shoulder at Thod: "You remember how you fared as a miner and a brewer? Well, we are not very good soldiers..."
turning back to Trinia "...and we don't follow orders very well. You were saying, my dear?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"There is contradictory input - information," Raven says to Thod. "An assertion of regicide, countered by protestations of innocence. I have no objection to working for pay, but I did not sign up to sacrifice living creatures just to perpetuate falsehood. Not unless I can be convinced the benefits justify doing so - which in this case, they do not."

Turning to Donnell, she says: "Securing her safety should not be an issue. I can brew three extracts of disguise as early as tomorrow morning. With those, we could simply walk her out one of the city gates and bid her farewell - provided she convinces us of her innocence as a prerequisite, of course."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn steps into the lean-to, not especially liking what he hears. He gives Trinia a once-over look and addresses the group.

"Hrrrmmmmm. Safety from the mob is one thing... but let us not speak quite so quickly of helping Madam Sabor slip away. Field Marshall Kroftt has been faithful to us personally and righteous to the people; she is as likely to protect her as not."

Holding his holy symbol, the cleric sends forth bursts of healing energy, in case anyone else has been hurt.

Channel Energy: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Channel Energy: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Channel Energy: 1d6 ⇒ 6

"Speak, madam, if you can."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

SS should rest easy that Donnell isn't simply going to give her a free pass, but we've seen too much weird stuff to not want to at least hear her story. Also, with a natural 20 on Sense Motive, he's currently a walking lie-detector :) (assuming she actually says anything - the last time he rolled a crit, he was talking to an illusion...)


.

Trinia is a young blonde woman with short hair and a sort of fresh-faced exuberance to her. She is distractingly pretty. Aside from the tears and complete panic. She takes a little bit to calm down, but eventually starts speaking.

"I... I'm an artist. I was hired to paint a portrait of the King. I think that the chamberlain thought that if I visited him while he was sick, I'd cheer him up a little and help him get better. I was so proud."

She sighs.

"This meant I was alone with him for hours at a time working on the painting. Then he died one night after a session. They say that guards said I was behaving oddly during my trips, and that I poisoned his tea! But I didn't - I don't even know where to get poison! Why would I kill a King? I was about to be one of the most celebrated artists in the city!"

You all watch her very closely, and as far as you can tell she is not lying or withholding anything. As you watch her, you hear a screech and off in the distance a Sable Company patrol flies by. The city is still crawling with knights on griffinback looking for her.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Majenko:
'It might be advisable for you to return to my side now, and stay there for the foreseeable future.'

"Well, then," Raven Six says, shrugging. "Unless any of you possess superior abilities in reading people and have detected falsehood, that seems to be that."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
Sevenspawn wrote:
"Hrrrmmmmm. Safety from the mob is one thing... but let us not speak quite so quickly of helping Madam Sabor slip away. Field Marshall Kroftt has been faithful to us personally and righteous to the people; she is as likely to protect her as not."

"What he said," Thod gestures to Sevenspawn. "We ain't workin' with the Queen, we're working for whatshername and that other guy. And they were gonna use magic to see if she's telling the truth or not. They said they didn't trust the queen on this, either. So you don't trust the queen, and you don't trust them. Why are you working with either of them, then? And, y'know, she COULD be lying."

Raven Six wrote:
"Securing her safety should not be an issue. I can brew three extracts of disguise as early as tomorrow morning. With those, we could simply walk her out one of the city gates and bid her farewell - provided she convinces us of her innocence as a prerequisite, of course."

"Tomorrow? We ain't got 'till tomorrow! I don't think we have the time now! I think we need to get her out of here to someplace safe. All it takes is one guy to peek in here, and we're going to be running again!"

Thod listens to her story somewhat impassively. Might be true, might not. The rest of the group seems to be nodding at her, though.

"You're not gonna let her go just 'cause she's got blond hair and a nice smile, are you?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"I am sorry?" Raven Six asks, nonplussed. "How is that...." The young woman cocks her head as she seems to consider something, then smirks. Clumsily. "Ah. No, thank you. Those are not triggers for my reproductive inst -- those are not my 'turn-ons'."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

With a wink to Thod:

Dwarven:
But she doesn't even have a beard!

Donnell looks sympathetically at Trinia: "Alright Miss, I believe your story. But as I said earlier, you are far safer coming with us than trying to avoid the mob that's currently looking for you. Luckily, we got to you first; we will make sure that your story is heard fairly, and that no harm comes to you."

Turning from Trinia to the rest of the group, Donnell quickly sheds his optimism for gloominess. Considering where they are (the Shingles), he would have little luck helping the girl escape both the mob and the authorities without Sevenspawn's help.

"Thod, I'm not in the habit of trusting anybody; especially not royalty, nobility, and most of those in their employ. I believe this girl is telling the truth, and that is enough for me. However, you are all correct - the safest place for her is with the Field Marshall until this riot has been quelled. Hopefully, I can convince her of Trinia's innocence."

"Raven6, if you have not prepared Disguise today, then perhaps I can attempt a more mundane approach. Sevenspawn, you are more familiar with the Shingles than I - is there a way out of here that will keep us from detection?"


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

Sevenspawn considers.

Streetwise: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

"Yes." He checks the rooftops, looking about. "At least, one or two ways that will reduce the risk of detection.

"If we find trouble," he adds, "allow me a moment to attempt to use my small influence here before we start swinging at skulls. Let us go."


.

Sevenspawn knows his way aorund the rougher parts of town, and disguising Trinia he's able to get everyone off of the rooftops and into an alley to continue discussion. Trinia is not too enthused by the plan.

"A Field Marshall?! What if she has orders to turn me in? Don't you have a better place I can hide than with the city guard?"


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

Raven Six considers the question, cocking her head in thought.

"The criminal element is not to be thought of," she says. "I imagine there's quite the substantial bounty on your head. For the same reason, the finer areas of the city are out. We would need a place completely uninhabited and unused, perhaps one forgotten completely."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Hanging back half a step so he can address Trinia and Raven Six:
"Listen, in your position, I wouldn't be overly enthused either, but those two" indicating Sevenspawn and Thod "not only appear to be willing to follow orders, they're also our best chance of getting out of here alive. They are right, though: the Guard might not be the worst place for you. They, at least, have the resources to protect you from the riot, and the magic to prove your innocence. We, all four of us, will ensure your safety, and make sure that your name is cleared. It might help to know more of your story, and if you have any friends you can trust."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

"I fail to see," Sevenspawn says quietly, "why we are having discussions on where to hide her.

"Our task - one we undertook willingly, and from someone in authority who's aim to help the people of Korvosa has thus far matched our own enough to trust her this far, friend Fox - was to her save her from the mob and bring her to the safety of the Field Marshall's office. I find her guilt unlikely, but her protestations to the opposite here are hardly reason for us to free her, let alone assist her in an escape. If they have magicks to sense her innocence, that is something more than what she can offer here to convince me otherwise.

"Allow me to be clear. If Cressida does not or cannot keep her word to keep her safe so she can be questioned, I will be the first to lead the charge in her defense. But until then, I intend to bring her to the Guard and see her innocence proven... rather than assisting her in running for the rest of her life.

However. I would submit to a reading on her future."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A
Raven Six wrote:
"Ah. No, thank you. Those are not triggers for my reproductive inst -- those are not my 'turn-ons'."

"Huh? Oh, yeah, that. Even if you don't think she's cute, a lot of people seem to think that because somebody's pretty, it means they're tellin' the truth. Gotta watch for that."

Fox wrote:
Dwarven:
"But she doesn't even have a beard!"

"Huff, ikke så sliten gammel vits."

Dwarven:
"Ugh, not that tired old joke.

Sevenspawn wrote:

"Allow me to be clear. If Cressida does not or cannot keep her word to keep her safe so she can be questioned, I will be the first to lead the charge in her defense. But until then, I intend to bring her to the Guard and see her innocence proven... rather than assisting her in running for the rest of her life.

However. I would submit to a reading on her future."

"What he said. Again. Do you want to go to Croissant and say 'She got away from us?' Or whatever tale you intend to tell her?"

He turns to Donnell.

"Og hun var der for kongens siste dagene. Hun kunne vite noe. Selv kan ikke be om at ute i det fri."

Dwarven:
"And she was there for the king's final days. She might know something. Though can't ask that out in the open."


.

Stuck between the decision to turn in Trinia or not, you keep moving with Trinia well-hooded. Ducking through alleyways, you come to an abandoned house the Dead Kings have used on occasion in this part of town. Rats flee as you duck in through a broken door. Donnell produces the deck, and immediately the boarded-up windows and door are completely blocked off by the illusion, and some comfortable furniture appears. Zellara smiles as she shuffles her Harrow deck.

"There, a little bit of privacy."

Trinia stares, but remains quiet, having decided to shut up and stick with all of you for the time being, knowing that she's safer with you than with most others in the city.

"This must be a lot for you Trinia, just be assured I am a friend to those who are a friend to this city. The city, not necessarily those in charge. So let's phrase your question in a way the Harrow can process. Perhaps... 'What will become of Trinia if we turn her over to Cressida?'"

She lays out just three cards.

"You seem to be in a hurry. I will do an abridged reading."

After shuffling and cutting, three cards and placed down on a convenient red-clothed table.

THE BEATING --- THE WAXWORKS --- THE FIEND

She blinks as she stares down at the cards.

"That's... strong. The cards are not positive, however. The Beating indicates attack from all sides and a dissolution of the self... like a collapse of independence or free will. The Waxworks indicates helpessness. If you were to view it literally, it is a card of torture and imprisonment."

She taps the last card.

"The Fiend is ... interesting. It typically indicates calamity, the deaths of innocents."

Trinia suddenly interjects. "That all sounds really bad!"

Zellara raises a finger. "It's misaligned in this position. In this position, it indicates salvation from calamity, but in your future."

She looks to all of you.

"So to answer your question, the cards tell a story of helpnessness and attack from all sides. It can easily mean Trinia, but could mean Cressida as well. How much power does Cressida have, hm? Perhaps both. The second is a loss of liberty, and more helplessness - a theme here. The last card inverts that narrative, and indicates great calamity that is somehow averted, likely by an outside force. Who that applies to specifically is difficult to tell."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

"Well," Sevenspawn says after a quiet moment of inflection, "that certainly brings a different perspective on things."

He rubs his eyes, sighing inwardly, and toes a brave and curious rat away as he does so. "Perhaps all viewpoints can be satisfied here. We could hole up at Zellara's house tonight and inquire with Cressida tomorrow what her actual ability to protect Trinia is against unfair prosecution." He shakes his head wearily. "It is a compromise, but perhaps one that gives us all time to determine the best approach."


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Donnell says little, but beams triumphantly at the big folk.

"Lead on, MacD... er... Sevenspawn."


NG Male Dwarven Barbarian 10 | HP 115/115 {145/145} | AC 21 (19 Rage, 12 Touch, 20 Flat-Footed) | CMB +14/+16, CMD 25/27 | Fort. +13/16, Ref. +6, Will +10/12 | Init. +2 | Perc. +15 | Speed 30ft | Rage: 25/25 | DR 2/- | Active conditions: N/A

Thod looks at the cards.

"So... Handing her over to Croissant is bad, but we don't know for who. So again, we're working with the throne, but don't trust the throne, so we're working for this captain, but now we're not sure about the captain. So we gotta hide her until... something."

"Man, I miss Janderhoff. You got a council, and people listen to them. Simple."


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

"That sounds... mostly right."

Sevenspawn looks outside a moment, drawing his hood closer before leading the party towards Zellara's.


.

You continue to duck through alleyways, but thankfully with a crowd of you surrounding Trinia you're able to keep her identity more or less hidden. Thod being a walking arsenal tends to dissuade people from looking too closely. Bunking down at Zellara's abandoned home, you wait out the night. The city continues on its wild witch hunt for Trinia.

I'm not sure what you're doing with Trinia or how you're approaching Cressida. Assume she is available and in her office for you to speak with and go from there.


Female Android Alchemist 8/Rogue 2; Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft, Low-light vision, Perception +16; AC 16 (+2 Dex., +4 armour); hp 70/70; Fort +8; Ref +11; Will +4

"Perhaps Majenko might serve as a go-between?" Raven Six suggests, once the group has settled in. "Would you be amenable to the task of delivering a letter for us, noble dragon?"


Male CG Halfling Investigator 10 | HP: 40/57 | AC: 19 (16 FF, 14 Tch) | CMB: 6, CMD: 19, FF: 16 | F: +7, R: +12, W: +10 | Init: +7 (+9 urban)| Perc: +15 | Locate Traps +20 | Disarm Traps +20 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration 7/8 | Harrow Points: 3 | +6 vs Poison, +2 vs Fear, +3 vs Traps | Active effects: Heroism, Heightened Awareness (+2 attacks, saves, skills; further +2 Perception & Knowledge); Sickened (-2 all rolls)

Grimacing: "oh hells - I'll go. Send the pseudodragon along with me so she can deliver a message if I get into trouble. Priest, I'm leaving Zellara here with you, in case you require her powers of illusion to keep you hidden."

With that, Donnell checks his gear - making sure vials and weapons are safely tucked into sleeves and hidden pockets - and striking a pose of utter confidence (looking for all the world like a street rat whose just entered the service of the biggest thug in town), struts off to find Cressida.

-------

Nodding politely: "Field Marshall. May I have a word? Preferably, alone and in private."

I will likely phrase this next part differently if we cannot be alone

Donnell hops onto a chair (stool, desk, whatever) to bring himself closer to Cressida's level. "You are a busy woman, so I won't waste your time. The girl, Trinia, is safe from the mob, for now - though her precise whereabouts are not known to me. I have even had a brief moment to speak with her, and I am convinced of her innocence. What I am less sure of is your ability to keep her safe. You implied earlier that you suspected the Queen of manufacturing this riot, for some unknown reason. This leads me to trust you and your good intentions, but not necessarily those working with you. Let me explain..."

Donnell subsequently provides a succinct overview of his conversation with Trinia, and of Zellara's Harrow reading (without getting into details about who, how, or when these conversations took place)

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 (are there prying ears or eyes)


Male CG Human Cleric 10 HP: 72/72 I AC: 22 (11 Tch, 21Fl) | CMB: 10, CMD: 20 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +11 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 Speed 20ft | Channel 4/4 | Spells 6/6 6/6 5/5 4/4 4/4 3/3 |

"I was pleased to see upon waking this morning that you had not slipped away in the night, Madam Sabor."

The weather-beaten cleric looks back at the young painter a moment as he rests on his haunches in front of Zellara's fireplace, one hand stirring a ladle slowly around the cooking pot hanging within. Having spent the previous evening completing his usual ritual - praying to his deity for guidance, organizing his pack, taking his turn on watch and so forth - Sevenspawn has had some time to burn this morning as Donnell runs his errand on the group's behalf. Having sent a note to the Dead Kings via the urchin messenger he requested and washed most of the grime off of his person and clothing, he has turned to cooking to pass the time.

Sniffing the stew, he grunts inwardly at the lack of fresh vegetables within. "It is wise of you to have stayed. It is likely that we have the same enemy... though no one has quite accused us of murder." He tastes the stew from the ladle, pausing a moment. "Yet."

Spooning some into nearby bowls, he passes the artisan one without looking in her direction, still fixated on the remaining contents within. "If you are innocent, as I suspect you are, we will not allow that enemy to hang you. We serve the interests of the people of Korvosa... not its ruler, nor its forces. Trust in us, as you have thus far."

Sevenspawn, having made bowls for the other two, spoons his own full of the remnants of the stew and slumps against the fireplace. "But remember during this time of great fear that you must endure now," he adds, "that you are no helpless maiden from an child's story, needing to be saved from evil by... oh, a jolly gang of bandit princes, perhaps. We will shield you, but you must defend yourself, too."

Producing a dagger from his cloak, he places it on the floor and pushes it over to her with his foot.

"And so." Sevenspawn looks back into his bowl. "Tell me of your magic, and what you can do to help us keep you safe."


.

Donnell and Majenko go together to meet with Cressida. He finds her in her office, and after a quick inspection she appears alone. Cressida listens intently as Donnell speaks. She then is silent for a moment before speaking very loudly.

"If you happen to find Trinia, please turn her over to me so that she can be transferred to the Queen's authority for her trial. Thank you, that will be all."

With that, Donnell and Majenko are allowed to leave. Donnell manages to make it back to Zellara's house without issue.

301 to 350 of 2,774 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM SpiderBeard's Curse of the Crimson Throne (closed group) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.