GM Ladile's TL;DR: A Pathfinder Society Campaign

Game Master Lady Ladile

Current Scenario: Between Scenarios

Maps & Handouts

Spell Templates

Need to Contact Me?:

If you need to contact me offsite, you can reach me at my email:

freakymagnet@gmail.com


2,351 to 2,400 of 2,579 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Male AC:18 (T:10) (FF:18) | F:6 R:2 W:8 |HP:21/27 | Per. +10 Human Cleric 3

Having did everything they can, Parison is glad to call it a day in order to rest, commune with his goddess and restore his spells, though a nagging though remains in the back of his mind that while he and his friends rest, the div is somewhere out there being up to no good.

When the group enters Onethar's abode and discovers the scene, Parison rushes to his side along with Maria and Hepsubia and works with them in an attempt to discover what happened to him, including his obvious wounds.

Heal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Before the cleric can make any real progress in examining Onethar, he hears the footsteps on the stairs as do his companions. When the half-orc introduces himself and mentions that he represents the interests of Grandmaster Torch, Parison's eyes narrow. After the others speak, the priest of Sarenrae takes his turn.

"Most people from Absalom aren't likely to forget the name of Grandmaster Torch....least not Pathfinder agents. On the other hand, we know nothing about you. How do we know you're who you say you are? And if what you're saying is true, what interest would Grandmaster Torch have in what we're doing?"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Dark Archive

LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

While the others engage the half-orc and inspect Obahar's wounds, the shabti tries to engage with the man. "Obahar," he says, "Can you hear me? Do you recognize the sound of your own name, Obahar? What happened to you? Can you return to us, here?"

Diplomacy (if the previous encounters are a guide): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Otherwise, a waste of another good 19.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

Zurnzal offers Hepsubia an amused smirk as she addresses him but he also noticeably does not flinch or pull away as she makes a point of looking at his teeth.

"Of course - you really can't trust much of anyone these days, can you? That said, biting's not really my style," he chuckles. "But perhaps it would be the style of...another creature, one that you've been looking for, hmm? Doru divs are known for their sharp teeth...and the poison those teeth carry."

Zurnzal goes on to explain, "My employer has been watching recent events in Merab with keen interest. The doru attacks seemed to draw the eyes of Amenopheus’ agents, and Grandmaster Torch shares mutual concerns with the Sapphire Sage; both of them think there is more to the sage jewels than anyone dares to believe. I am here to offer information to aid in your search for the Dungeons of the Ever-Dying - if you give the Society’s guarantee that when it comes time to act on the threat to the Jeweled Sages — whatever it may be — Torch will be welcome to stand alongside his, ah, colleagues, in the Society."

Parison:

You sense that this messenger, Zurnzal, is being truthful with the offer of help and what he knows about Torch's motives. Of course it's always possible that Torch himself has fooled the half-orc for some nebulous reason of his own but there's no way to tell for certain.

He's also being truthful about not being responsible for Obahar's current state.


______________

Another short post to follow, please stand by~


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

During all of this, some of you attempt to tend to Obahar and others work to gather the papers that have been scattered about. As Maria and Hepsubia examine the scholar he seems completely addled and Zithembe's attempts to converse with him as he did with Mauta earlier receive nothing more than a blank, slack-jawed stare. Working together, Maria and Hepsubia piece together that Obahar seems to have been afflicted by some manner of poison that has greatly diminished his mental faculties.

Obahar is suffering from some serious Wisdom damage; he's currently at Wisdom 1 and incapable of speaking or understanding language.

Regarding the papers scattered about it will take some time to look through them all but Effie notices right away that Obahar seems to have collected numerous maps of the city from long ago and other documents from government archives. With these papers and the information you already have, it's certainly possible that you could find the Dungeons of the Ever-Dying yourselves, without Zurnzal (and Torch's) help.

The real question is, do you risk going it alone? Or do you risk throwing in with someone whose reputation with the Society is...well, 'shaky' would be putting it mildly.
______________

Hmm...Knowledge Local if you want to know a little more about Grandmaster Torch and/or Zurnzal.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Elf Rogue/Alchemist (1/1) Init +4 HP 14 AC 18 T 14 FF 14 Fort+2 Ref +6 Will +0 Per +6 Spd 30

Know Local: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 = 11

If you try to know too much about Torch, you get burned...

Hepsubia laughs, for unknown reasons.

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Knowledge: Local + Inspiration: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 10 + (2) = 25

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

Looking at Obahar and then back to Zurnzal, he motions for the others to huddle over with him out of earshot. "Aye 'aven't 'eard much o' this Torch, buh aye think we can go ih alone. Whah say tha lotta ye?" he asks quietly. If we can do it without a shady sort, why wouldn't we? Never shied away from something because it was hard before, why start now?

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

I'll wait to respond with Maria until I have the results of the knowledge check, but she will likely present or support the idea of having Zurnzal tag along. However, she will likely not agree to the deal offered by Torch.

Dark Archive

LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

After conferring with Maria and Hepsubia in regards to the poison, Zithembe says, "I may be able to help Obahar to, at least, recover faster, if we have the time to spare. The process takes roughly one hour."

He addresses the half-orc. "I must be honest. I do not carry the authority to make such a promise on behalf of the Society," he says. "I can carry the message, and bear witness to the aid rendered, but other than that I have not much prestige within the Society."


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

Maria:

Grandmaster Torch is something of an enigma but you do know that he was once a field agent for the Pathfinder Society, until his career came to an end in one of the tombs he was exploring. Cursed and left for dead by his peers, he nevertheless managed to escape back to Absalom. His true name, like his career as a Pathfinder, has been left behind in that ancient tomb.

After his return to Absalom Grandmaster began accruing favors from the Pathfinder Society. This continued for several decades before he created the infamous Shadow Lodge within the Pathfinder Society, uniting dozens of disillusioned Pathfinders against the masked Decemvirate, whom they claim served only their own interest and not the well-being of the common Pathfinder. This culminated in the breaking off of several splinter groups with the Shadow Lodge in 4710 AR, and a series of attacks on the Grand Lodge and those loyal to it. Finally, the Decemvirate agreed to some of Grandmaster Torch's demands, hoping to end the violence and bring disenfranchised Pathfinders back into the fold.

Afterwards, Grandmaster Torch enjoyed a position of importance within the Pathfinder Society, and assisted the Decemvirate greatly in hunting down rogue Shadow Lodge agents who refuse to be accepted back into the Society. That is...until he finally broke away from the Pathfinder Society during an incident involving the execution of a prisoner after receiving highly sensitive information from them.

As to the mysterious Zurnzal, you've not got much to go on. There have been whispers that he was once involved with the Aspis Consortium and tangled with the Pathfinder Society head-on but this new affiliation with Grandmaster Torch would seem to indicate that his days as an Aspis agent may have come to an end.

You rolled really well and I tried to give you as much information as I could without spoiling previous scenarios too much. Zurnzal has appeared in previous scenarios but I've not played or GMed them so that's why information about him is (intentionally) much more vague.

Zurnzal, to his credit, seems patient; he casually leans against the door frame with his arms crossed while you see to Obahar and talk his offer over among yourselves. When Zithembe address him, the half-orc chuckles.

"That's fine, neither do we. But if you know anything about Torch you'll know that he doesn't give up easily. You all seem like a pretty clever crop of agents so hopefully you'll understand that working together on this one is in everyone's best interests."
______________

Short-ish post since today is a painting day. Feel free to talk Zurnzal's offer over more, if you like, and I'll advance the action further later this afternoon or tonight.

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Maria whispers her reply to Rumble, "I'd rather have him near where we can watch him. From the little bit I've heard about him, he works for Grandmaster Torch and may be reformed from any of his past misdeeds. Grandmaster Torch himself has also had quite an on again off again relationship with the society. But often any deals he makes are followed through with."

____________________________

Maria nods along with Zithembe, "I concur. We don't have the authority to make that sort of agreement. But I have no issue with working together either."

Silver Crusade

Male AC:18 (T:10) (FF:18) | F:6 R:2 W:8 |HP:21/27 | Per. +10 Human Cleric 3

Parison moves as close as he can to the others and speaks in a low tone. "Zunzal is telling the truth about wanting to help and what he knows. However, I've heard that Torch can be very manipulative when it comes to his dealings and that doesn't mean he's told Zunzal everything."

The cleric then gazes at Onethar and his concern turns to helping him. "Zunzal wasn't the one who hurt Onethar, either. The attack, this mess, and the information we've recovered here...if Torch didn't want us or any other Pathfinders knowing where the tomb was located, leaving Onethar on the brink of death and leaving that information here to find was a sloppy way of doing it. It's not Torch's style. However, I agree with Maria, though. He's an unknown factor in all of this and I'd rather be able to keep my eyes on him as opposed to letting him carry out Torch's will where we can't watch him."

Parison then moves to the confused and injured man in the room and places his hands on him. "Sarenrae, hear the plea of your servant. If it be your will, I beseech you to ease this man's troubled mind and to restore his lucidness to him."

Parison casts lesser restoration on Onethar.

Ability Damage Healing: 1d4 ⇒ 2

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

"Alrigh' then, offer 'im tha olive branch an' leh's geh on wit' it then," Rumble agrees. Can't bring myself to be the one to basically lie to the man, but there is much wisdom in keeping him within Sledge's reach.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

After some additional deliberation, it seems that the general consensus among yourselves is that while this entire thing is highly strange and more than a little suspect, it seems more prudent to go along with the proposed deal for the time being - the devil you know and all that.

Zurnzal nods, looking pleased with your decision. "A wise choice. But since we are making a deal, we must show our commitment to it."

He draws a wickedly sharp shortsword from his belt and uses the blade to nick his thumb, causing blood to well up. Using the tip of his bloody thumb, the half-orc draws a simple dagger design just below his throat, then gestures to all of you.

"This is how an oath is sworn in Lastwall - where the dagger stands for adulthood and community, as well as the tool with which to take one's own life if faced with abduction. I ask that you swear as well, whether by the blood-knife on your throat or an oath of your own people. Just one of you will be enough proof to suit me - and my employer. But the more the merrier, so if more than one of you wish to swear an oath then I'll not complain or stop you."

Meanwhile, Parison does what he can to help restore some of Obahar's lost willpower and sense. Sarenrae does hear her priest's plea and as the prayer concludes, a spark of awareness does seem to creep back into the scholar's previously-addled gaze. It's not enough to restore him to true lucidity but he's better than he was, now showing some signs of basic awareness of his surroundings and other creatures.

Silver Crusade

Male AC:18 (T:10) (FF:18) | F:6 R:2 W:8 |HP:21/27 | Per. +10 Human Cleric 3

Parison stands up and looks at the others. Suddenly, he's aware of his forehead feeling wet. Reaching a hand up to his brow, he realizes he's sweating heavily.

"That's the first time I've asked Sarenrae to aid someone in such a fashion," he says to the group as he mops his forehead. "I didn't realize that it would take so much out of me."

"I have good news and bad news," the priest continues, stepping away from Onethar. "The bad news is that my prayer did not fully restore Onethar to a normal state of mind. The good news is that it did remove some of his addledness. With Sarenrae's aid and complete bed rest, I could help him to completely recover but it could take anywhere from two days at best to a tenday at the worst. Even with the best, it's time we can ill afford to lose."

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

"An' what're tha terms o' this oath? An' be specific," Torag asks warily. Those Lastwallers are a nutty bunch if they think carving knives into their flesh with knives is the only way to be serious. Bet proximity to all those Orcs is what's got them so bent out of shape. Either way, I'm not swearing to anything without knowing exactly what I'm swearing to. Especially if blood magicy stuff is involved.
________
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

"Really now?" Zurnzal replies, stopping short and looking at Rumble with a long-suffering expression. "I thought I'd explained myself clearly but seems I was mistaken. The only terms of this oath are this: you give the Society’s guarantee that when it comes time to act on the threat to the Jeweled Sages — whatever it may be — Torch will be welcome to stand alongside the Pathfinder Society. In return, I give you the information I have on the location of the Dungeons of the Ever-Dying."

He shrugs. "Then I step back and let you Pathfinders do your Pathfinder thing that you do so well. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less."

Rumble:

You don't pick up on any attempts to deceive you or your friends or to work in some manner of exploitative loophole to this oath. Whether you like the idea or not, Zurnzal is at least being sincere.

"Don't tell me you're changing your mind now?"
______________

Since there seems to be a lot of hesitation here and I don't want it bog things down too much, you guys are pretty well positive that you don't need Zurnzal's help to find the Dungeons of the Ever-Dying. If you want his help anyway to hedge your bets or because you're curious about what he (and Torch) are up to or because you think they might actually make good allies later on, it's definitely an option. But otherwise you're pretty sure you can make steps towards completing your objective without the extra help.

Dark Archive

LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

"I have no people, so I will use the tradition of Lastwall," Zithembe says, drawing his kunai and pricking his thumb. Green blood wells to the surface and he mirrors Zurnzal's drawing on his own neck. "And you understand the limits of my voice, but I will advocate favorably if your aid is genuine."

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

"Aye'll swear tah tha Father o' Creation an' thah should be enough, ya?" Rumble offers, ready to put his loyalty on the line. Seems simple enough, and it doesn't make sense to slow our progress by denying help.

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Maria begins to catalog the information here in the room to start searching for the location herself. If it doesn't take too much time, she will complete the job. It never hurts to double check the data he is planning to give us.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Ifrit LG Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Bard (Juggler) 2 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | HP 24/24 | F +3 R +8 W +2 (+1 vs charm or compulsion); evasion | CMB+1, CMD 14 | Init +7 | Perc +3 darkvision 60' | SM -1 | Grit 4/4 | Performance 10/10 | Spells (-, 3/3)

Ok, looks like the decision is made.

Effie finishes up sorting the scattered papers and looks sadly at poor Obahar. Then she looks Zurnzal right in the eye.

"You know, in the Varisian circus we swore oaths by the traditional mutual pie-in-the-face method. And Parison here used up all our custard pies a while back.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
"Nah. It was blood. We swore in blood. Had you for a moment though, right?"

Effie takes her elephant knife, nicks her thumb, and offers it to Zurnzal. "Your supposed to press your blood to mine. Now, I swear by my blood to keep our deal. As you have sworn by your blood to keep your end of the bargain."


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

Zurnzal appears pleased as several of you step forward and swear your own oaths, whether it's a mirror of his or one of personal significance to you. He even obliges Effie, pressing his bloody thumb to her own.

"Very well, our deal is done. You will be hearing from my master in due time. In the meanwhile, I can provide you with a few clues about the Dungeons."

"First, I've heard that the Dungeons lie 'beneath the Red Canals,' a reference to waterways that have existed since ancient times — though possibly under different names. I heard this repeated by several of the folks who suffered from the doru, like Obahar here."

"Next, the Dungeons fell under the domain of General Menetashtor, an infamously cruel general who served the Pharaoh of Forgotten Plagues." As he says this, Zurnzal pulls an an ancient tablet from a cloth sack and explains that it shows the general’s troops being assigned “permanent duty” at the Dungeons.

"Finally, the Dungeons were once cleansed by Sarenite priests, who recorded the cleansing but later tampered with their own records to obfuscate knowledge of the Dungeons. These documents have been rather crudely altered, as you can see," he says, offering a sheaf of documents as proof.

With a casual gesture, he indicates Obahar and says, "You'll be able to find the Dungeons of the Ever-Dying without his aid now, which is fortunate. As you've already figured out, it'll take some time - or a fair bit of magic - to put the pieces of his mind back together."

Zurnzal then makes an abrupt, dismissive salute and leaves without another word.

And during this Maria, though taking note of the half-orc's words, sets about flipping through Obahar's papers in an attempt to piece together the location of the Dungeons. She estimates that it'll take about an hour or so to look through everything but with a bit of luck, Obahar's information should correlate with Zurnzal's and vice versa.

Dark Archive

LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

While Maria sets about corroborating Zurnzal's clues and piecing everything together, Zithembe takes this time to tend to Obahar using his own psychic abilities. He leads the debilitated man to an out of the way place and then begins to slowly wave his hands over different chakra points and along qi lines. The ritual continues as Maria continues her work.

Heal (Faith Healing - Restore Vitality) (DC = Effect's Save DC): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 Restores 1 Wis if successful + 1 more per 5 points above DC
Restoration is temporary: lasts 1 hour per point restored.

That could have been better...


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

After some time with Obahar’s records and with the aid of Zurnzal's information you're able to finally, finally suss out what should be the approximate location of the Dungeons that you seek. In the middle of the city's western market and temple district, below an abandoned shrine, the Dungeons of the Ever-Dying lie waiting, undisturbed for millennia...

Or that's the hope, at least.

Zithembe also attempts to further mend the damage done to Obahar's mind, but only with a marginal amount of success. That said, the day is still young and you've already established something of a rapport with the priests of two prominent faiths here in Merab; perhaps one of them might be able to help, or perhaps your contacts at the Twisting Garden Lodge.
______________

Obahar's currently at Wisdom 4 but it won't be any trouble to take him to either of the temples/shrines you visited yesterday or back to the lodge for restoration, if you wish.

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

"Leh's take tha man tah tha Church o' Sarenrae, then be on our way tah tha dungeons, ya?" Rumble suggests as he positions himself to pick Obahar up and place him over his shoulder.

Silver Crusade

Female Ifrit LG Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Bard (Juggler) 2 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | HP 24/24 | F +3 R +8 W +2 (+1 vs charm or compulsion); evasion | CMB+1, CMD 14 | Init +7 | Perc +3 darkvision 60' | SM -1 | Grit 4/4 | Performance 10/10 | Spells (-, 3/3)

"Yes, Rumble. Here, let me help."

Effie gently manoeuvres Obahar, finding a fresh robe to wrap him in before the scholar is unceremoniously hefted onto Rumble's shoulder.

Dark Archive

LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

”I think the poor man can walk on his own, now,” he says with mild amusement.

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Maria agrees about the temple stop and stuffs any important documents into her pack, leaving the rest in an organized pile on the desk. She follows the group out and attempts to lock up the residence or room as they leave.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

"Huh? Who are you? Where are we going? Are we going for a walk? Oh, I love going for walks, my dear old grandmother used to take all of us children out early in the morning just as the sun was beginning to rise..." Obahar rambles from his position across Rumble's shoulder. He kicks his legs a bit but it's almost more in childlike wonderment and glee than out of discomfort or a desire to get free. This continues the entire trip back to the Temple of the Redeeming Sun and garners your group more than a few curious - and pitying - glances from passersby in the process. But luckily neither Obahar nor anyone else gives you any trouble and it proves to be no trouble at all for Parison's fellow priests to take care of the scholar while you return to your mission.

As you make your way to the location indicated through your investigation and research, you see the people of Merab going about their business in the nearby markets and temples. It quickly becomes obvious though that none seem to go near the old, abandoned shrine, and a few make warding gestures as they hurriedly pass by. When asked, a balding man limping down the street explains, "That spot is haunted by the cries of the dead. I wouldn’t go near it if I were you!" before moving off as quickly as he’s able.

In spite of this warning you make your preparations and press forward into the dilapidated shrine, where it takes only a brief search to discover a secret door behind the crumbling altar, leading to a narrow passage. This crumbling, twisting tunnel leads deep beneath the streets of Merab, past layers of previous occupation, before winding down along the side of a large cavern. At the bottom, a twenty-foot-high windowless structure occupies much of this space. Stairs lead to platforms on the north and west sides of the building, but no other entrances are visible from here.

Perception (DC 20):

You can hear some sort of chanting coming from somewhere within the structure.

This must be it. The Dungeons of the Ever-Dying await...

Dungeons of the Ever-Dying

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14 +1 vs. traps

Maria shivers and mumbles, "Sarenrites cleansed this place? Surprised they didn't use fire... probably should have."

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

"Anythin' we need tah wait fer, or are we gonna geh righ' tah business?" Rumble asks while he checks the straps on his shield. Raising Sledge in the air, he takes a few practice swings before resting the weapon on his shoulder. Lighter than Obahar, this'll feel like nothing!
________
Perception, DC 20: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

Perception (DC 20): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

...where'd those 19s go?

Zithembe surveys the chamber quietly.

Silver Crusade

Female Ifrit LG Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Bard (Juggler) 2 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | HP 24/24 | F +3 R +8 W +2 (+1 vs charm or compulsion); evasion | CMB+1, CMD 14 | Init +7 | Perc +3 darkvision 60' | SM -1 | Grit 4/4 | Performance 10/10 | Spells (-, 3/3)

perception DC20: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 ^^ not here <-

Effie draws her pistol and makes her way down into the cavern. "I don't get it. Was this Merab, long ago? Or did they build the city over natural caverns? And put buildings in the caverns? Ugh, I'm no architect!"

"Watch out for flying heads!"

Dark Archive

LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

”I suspect this is deeper than the old city,” he says. ”But I am no dwarf.”

Liberty's Edge

Female Elf Rogue/Alchemist (1/1) Init +4 HP 14 AC 18 T 14 FF 14 Fort+2 Ref +6 Will +0 Per +6 Spd 30

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Hepsubia hums along something she's the only one to hear

Hey, these guys got rythm!

When she realise no one else is singing along, she adds

Or maybe it's just in my head... again? ^^

Prof Architect: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

I might have been an architect, once. Not very succesful, probably, as I was self taught and was a terrible student. Found an old book about architecture, by a certain "B.S Johnson", whoever that might be. The guy had some crazy idea, and coming from me, it's certainly says something. I remember he wanted to build a labyrinth so small, people get lost looking for it.

Silver Crusade

Female Ifrit LG Gunslinger (Mysterious Stranger) 1 / Bard (Juggler) 2 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | HP 24/24 | F +3 R +8 W +2 (+1 vs charm or compulsion); evasion | CMB+1, CMD 14 | Init +7 | Perc +3 darkvision 60' | SM -1 | Grit 4/4 | Performance 10/10 | Spells (-, 3/3)

"Hep, I'm beginning to think that you're after my job!"

;-)

Liberty's Edge

Female Elf Rogue/Alchemist (1/1) Init +4 HP 14 AC 18 T 14 FF 14 Fort+2 Ref +6 Will +0 Per +6 Spd 30

Oh no, I'm probably not that good with guns. Well, I don't know, in fact. Maybe something to try next century. If I don't forget.

Jokes stolen from Pratchett's Discworld series. Givin" credit when credit is due.

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Maria's brow furrows, must not discount what she says, there is often a grain of truth in it.

"Hep, what guys? Do you hear voices? If so, where they are coming from?"

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Elf Rogue/Alchemist (1/1) Init +4 HP 14 AC 18 T 14 FF 14 Fort+2 Ref +6 Will +0 Per +6 Spd 30

I always hear voices. Sometimes it's yours, sometimes it's Effie, or someone else. These come from the deep of the cavern. This seems like a song, altrough I can't make the words out, probably because they are far.

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

Rumble gives Zithembe a playful nudge. "Buh aye'm ah Dwarf! In mah professional opinion, aye think ih is deeper than tha old city. Mos' cities are built upon layers an' layers o' other cities. Rare, buh makes things like this possible. Nevah know whah migh' be buried deep, buh thah's half tha fun!"

"Aye don' hear ah thing!" he complains to Hep, now trying to listen harder. "Whah are they sayin' Hep?" He gives her a wary stare. "This sum sorta joke like tha one yeh pulled in tha bird village? Aye'll warn yeh once again thah aye don' think tha sorta thing is funny."

Silver Crusade

Male AC:18 (T:10) (FF:18) | F:6 R:2 W:8 |HP:21/27 | Per. +10 Human Cleric 3

Parison stays silent to the point of almost being introspective as the group takes Onethar to the temple of Redeeming Sun. Once there, the disciple of the Dawnflower gives Herhut a quick diagnosis of the scholar's condition and what the group has done thus far to treat him.

"As soon as we're done, we'll be back to check on you," he says to Onethar. "Just do what Brother Herhut and his friends say and you'll be well before you know it."

As the group reaches the old shrine and receives the ominous warning from one of Merab's citizens, Parison absentmindedly tugs at his garments as if trying to tighten them him. "He may be right," he remarks in passing about the haunting of the shrine.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

"The voices," he says, looking at Hepsubia. "I hear them, too. It sounds like chanting. There are times when I wish to worship or give praise to the Dawnflower by mantra in privacy, but if worship is taking place here in a hidden underground location below a shrine that locals shun out of fear, it can't be a good kind of chant."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

Now that both Hepsubia and Parison have pointed it out, the rest of you are able to (maybe) quiet down and listen more closely...and yes, the rest of you can now hear it as well.

Some sort of ritualistic chanting, coming from somewhere within the structure ahead.
______________

Lol Hep, you kill me sometimes.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Elf Rogue/Alchemist (1/1) Init +4 HP 14 AC 18 T 14 FF 14 Fort+2 Ref +6 Will +0 Per +6 Spd 30

Wait till I take a Bard level, Lady L, and my singing will be real LETHAL!!!!. I did hesitate with this song from deep inside the caverns.Nice reference in your link btw!^^

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Maria points out with a wink, "Well uh... I mean we just went to heaven to save a demon and she turned out fine. Maybe it's just some completely unrelated fervent worship from a group of mole-people? Let's move up quietly and check it out."

Sneaky Sneak: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Grand Lodge

LG Male Dwarf Warpriest of Torag 3.0 HP: 33/33 | AC: 15 T: 10 FF: 15 CMD: 15 +4 vs Giants, Bullrush/Trip | F+7 R+2 W+7 +3 vs poison, spells, SLA's | Init +0 | Perception +3
Tracked Resources:
FERVOR: 4/4; Spells: 1st 4/4; Blessing: 4/4

"Mehbe, uh, mehbe aye should 'ave ah go down tha stairs after tha rest o' yee?" Rumble offers, unconsciously putting a hand against his scale mail. I should find some new fear to replace this, but even so, it would only make a little less noise than this pile of scrap!
________
Stealth (Dwarf in Armor): 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (11) - 4 = 7
He will attempt stealth, but he will go when others think it is prudent for him to do so.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

Taking the lead for a change, Maria ducks into the shadows and creeps ahead along the main path towards the front steps leading into the complex. Stairs ascend five feet to a wide, open platform with stone doors to the west, south, and east leading into the building. Narrow pillars support a stone overhang 20 feet above. The sounds of chanting are louder here and it seems to be coming from beyond the door to the south - which is fitted with what looks to be a pretty good quality lock.

Kn. Arcana *or* Spellcraft (DC 20):

Now that you’re closer and can better understand the chanting, you realize that whatever ritual being performed beyond the door is highly complex, involving both necromancy and divination magics.

Dungeons of the Ever-Dying
______________

Added in some red arrows indicating doors/passages that the group can see or are otherwise aware of.

Dark Archive

LN Elf Zen Empiricist 3 | Mods: Ioun Torch | HP: 21/21 | AC/Tch/FF 17/13/14 | CMD 14 | F/R/W +5/+9/+6 (+2 vs. Hot Weather, Immune to Sleep, +2 vs. enchants) | Speed 30ft | Inspiration Pool 2/4, +1 Star Folio Re-Roll 0/1 (sound burst save), Perfect Strike: 2/2 | Init +5 | Perc: +4 (+1 vs. traps), SM: +0

Knowledge: Arcana + Inspiration: 1d20 + 10 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 10 + (6) = 20

Maria creeps back to where the group was waiting (closer than the map shows I hope).

She whispers, "Necromancy and Divination ritual through the locked south door. Probably not mole-people. Rumble, take lead here please with someone who can pick a lock. I don't think we are going to get lucky and avoid some sort of fight."

Dark Archive

LG Male Native Outsider Medium 3 | HP 25/25 | AC 22 T 12 FF 20 | F +3 R +3 W +5 | CMD/B 16/+4 | Init +2 | Per +4 (dark vision 60 ft) SM +0 | Speed 20 ft | Seance Invocation 9/9 | Influence 2| Guiding Spirit 1/1| Shirt Re-Roll 1/1 | Active Conditions: endure elements (hot)

"Likely not," Zithembe agrees. He draws his dagger and moves to follow the dwarf.

Liberty's Edge

Female Elf Rogue/Alchemist (1/1) Init +4 HP 14 AC 18 T 14 FF 14 Fort+2 Ref +6 Will +0 Per +6 Spd 30

You can't judge a door by its good lock only. I'll do what I can about it.

Stealthy or not, here I come!^^: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

DD, msw thieving tools: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 9 + 2 = 20


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Treason's Chains

After Maria's whispered report the group of you move up closer to the complex, though Effie, Parison, and Maria hang back at the bottom of the steps while Hepsubia slinks up to the locked door. Rumble follows a short distance after Hepsubia, clinking rather audibly instead of slinking. Zithembe also follows the pair up the steps but hangs back a few paces with his dagger at the ready.

Hepsubia kneels down in front of the southern door and gets to work. While there don't seem to be any traps on the door, the lock is really good quality...so good, in fact, that she quickly realizes that it's going to take her much more time than usual if she wants to get it open.

From the other side of the door, the chanting continues. Luckily, whoever is on the other side doesn't seem to have heard you.

Dungeons of the Ever-Dying
______________

This is a good quality lock so you're looking at a DC 30 Disable Device to get it open.

2,351 to 2,400 of 2,579 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Ladile Presents: TL;DR - A Pathfinder Society Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.