DM Brainiac's War for the Crown: Table 1

Game Master Brainiac

Current Date: 21 Kuthona, 4718 AR

Maps on Google Slides


6,801 to 6,823 of 6,823 << first < prev | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | next > last >>

Zhi and Melodie continue to make strong inroads with the arcanists and the guard, respectively.

2 successes for each. Both are still unfriendly.

Zhi and Melodie can make their final checks for the day, and Maria and Zileska may make all 3 of theirs plus their bonus ones if they choose.


Female Human Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4/Arcane Trickster 10 | HP 108/108 | AC 30 T 25 FF 23 | Fort +12 Ref +21 Will +15 | Init +7 | Perc +21 | Spells 1st: 6/7, 2nd 7/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 6/6, 5th 6/6, 6th 5/5, 7th 3/3 | Boots 10/10 | Tricky Spells 5/5 | Sneak Attack 2/2 | Greater Invisibility 10/10 |

Fairly confident that the Arcanists Guild is the only group left that she has any real chance with, Zhi continues her pestering demonstrations.

Influence Arcanists Guild - DD: 1d20 + 36 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 36 + 2 + 2 = 60


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 | HP:93/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +43(48), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 8/8, 2: 7/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 3/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 18/17+1; Words: 12/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Melodie too keeps working on the guard, she knows she is making inroads, a few guards at a time.

Perform Sing: 1d20 + 27 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 27 + 2 = 48


Female Half-Elf Cleric 17 | HP 105/105 | AC 21 T 14 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +17 | Initiative +2 | Perception +8 | Channel Energy 6/6 | Dazing Touch 8/8 | Bit of Luck 8/8 | Good Fortune 2/2

Doesn't matter: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Doesn't matter: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Doesn't matter: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Doesn't matter: 1d20 ⇒ 1

All done.


Zhi and Melodie continue to excel at their tasks. Zileska manages to make a few inroads among the royal guard before hitting a wall. Fortunately, Sara is on hand to help the process along, the brawler charming some of the men (and even more of the women) to your cause.

Both the arcanists' guild and the royal guard are now indifferent! Maria can still make her checks for the day, and then this happens:

On the morning of the fourth day of your campaign against Carrius, no sooner have you set foot in Oppara then a band of mercenaries confronts you! A white-robed sorceress with pale skin and dark hair leads the band, surrounded by a shield of crackling blue flames. She is defended by a half-orc in a chain shirt who wields a scimitar and shield. A trio of wiry monks complete the group, cracking their knuckles as they approach. "There they are!" the sorceress shouts. "We are Cullver's Cold Steel, and we've come for the bounty on your heads!"

Initiative:
Mai Zhi: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Maria: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Melodie: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Sara: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Zileska: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Safina: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Enemies: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Everybody may act before the enemies!


Female Human Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4/Arcane Trickster 10 | HP 108/108 | AC 30 T 25 FF 23 | Fort +12 Ref +21 Will +15 | Init +7 | Perc +21 | Spells 1st: 6/7, 2nd 7/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 6/6, 5th 6/6, 6th 5/5, 7th 3/3 | Boots 10/10 | Tricky Spells 5/5 | Sneak Attack 2/2 | Greater Invisibility 10/10 |

"You'll have to come and get 'em ," Zhi snarls as she raises a hand and with arcane words, sends a ray of blackness towards the woman in the white robes. She then vanishes from sight.

Sneaky Disintegrate - Touch Attack: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (18) + 17 = 35

DC 20 Fortitude Save

Failed Save Damage: 28d6 + 8d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 1, 2, 5, 5, 4, 5, 5, 1, 4, 3, 4, 5, 3, 4, 2, 4, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5, 5, 3, 5, 4, 3) + (2, 5, 5, 4, 6, 3, 5, 5) = 140

Successful Save Damage: 5d6 ⇒ (3, 1, 1, 5, 3) = 13

Current Effects: mage armor, greater invisibility
Koriana's Blade: +4 AC, +1 AC to Sara
Current AC: 30 - 50% miss chance for sighted foes

White robes is -8 to Will saves for rounds equal to number of hits.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 | HP:93/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +43(48), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 8/8, 2: 7/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 3/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 18/17+1; Words: 12/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

"Kneel!" Melodie intones, somewhere between stern and contemptuous. She focuses her own power on the half orc after seeing her wife strike the sorceress.

Overwhelming Presence. Let's see if this fight ends in one round...


Female Human Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4/Arcane Trickster 10 | HP 108/108 | AC 30 T 25 FF 23 | Fort +12 Ref +21 Will +15 | Init +7 | Perc +21 | Spells 1st: 6/7, 2nd 7/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 6/6, 5th 6/6, 6th 5/5, 7th 3/3 | Boots 10/10 | Tricky Spells 5/5 | Sneak Attack 2/2 | Greater Invisibility 10/10 |

That would be nice, but not probable with three monks bouncing around.


Will: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 261d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 181d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 231d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 201d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

All of the mercenaries cry out and fall to their knees before Melodie’s overwhelming presence. They are at your mercy.


Female Half-Elf Cleric 17 | HP 105/105 | AC 21 T 14 FF 19 | Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +17 | Initiative +2 | Perception +8 | Channel Energy 6/6 | Dazing Touch 8/8 | Bit of Luck 8/8 | Good Fortune 2/2

I was going to use Knowledge (nobility) because I was under the impression that only that skill or Perform (singing) could be used on the royal guard, based on the discovery check made previously.

Zileska starts to go for her whip, but the situation is well in hand in a flash. She settles for checking her nails to make sure they're still intact - the short trim being a necessity in her usual day-to-day activities.


Female Human Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4/Arcane Trickster 10 | HP 108/108 | AC 30 T 25 FF 23 | Fort +12 Ref +21 Will +15 | Init +7 | Perc +21 | Spells 1st: 6/7, 2nd 7/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 6/6, 5th 6/6, 6th 5/5, 7th 3/3 | Boots 10/10 | Tricky Spells 5/5 | Sneak Attack 2/2 | Greater Invisibility 10/10 |

Not remembering how long the effect lasts, Zhi wastes no time in approaching the white-robed woman and removing her as a threat in the most expeditious manner.


Diplomacy is almost always an option for influence checks, though usually not the best option as the DC is generally higher than that of other skills.

Zhi executes the sorceress without mercy. You can either kill or capture the others at your leisure.

I will post their gear tomorrow. You may make all your checks for the fourth day now.


Female Rakshasa-spawn Tiefling Investigator 16 | HP 91/99 | AC 35 T 18 FF 29 | Fort +10 Ref +20 Will +15 | Initiative +5 | Perception +19 (free Insp) | Sense Motive +22 (free Insp)

Maria co-ordinated with the others to direct her efforts where they would be best suited.

Roll 1: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Roll 2: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Roll 3: 1d20 ⇒ 15
Roll 4: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Roll 5: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Roll 6: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Roll 7: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Roll 8: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Roll 9: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Roll 10: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Roll 11: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Roll 12: 1d20 ⇒ 4


Mercenary Loot:
Ring of counterspells (fireball); dagger, mwk light crossbow with 10 bolts, amulet of natural armor +2, cloak of resistance +2, headband of alluring charisma +4, ring of protection +1, white dragon tooth necklace (400 gp); potions of cure serious wounds (2), potion of fly, potion of haste, scrolls of neutralize poison (2), wand of cure moderate wounds (20 charges); +2 chain shirt, +2 light wooden shield, +1 scimitar, masterwork composite longbow (+5 Str) with 20 arrows, belt of giant strength +2, cloak of resistance +2, ring of protection +2, 981 gp.

Three sets of: +1 human–bane shuriken (5), +1 shuriken (20), adamantine shuriken (10), cold iron shuriken (10), masterwork quarterstaff, belt of physical might +2 (Str, Dex), bracers of armor +2, cloak of resistance +1, ring of protection +1, shock amulet of mighty fists, 235 gp

You continue your campaign of influence for three more days, ignoring the investigators to instead focus your efforts on the palace defenders. The Ulfen Guard proves rather obstinate, but Sara is at least able to convince them to soften their opinions of you a bit.

Zhi completely gains the trust of the arcanists' guild. The mages reveal that the Carrius who sits on the Lion Throne at almost all times is a sophisticated illusion created at Carrius’s request, as he claims to fear an assassination like the one that took his sister. They offer the sorceress a greater maximize metamagic rod in an attempt to entice her to join their ranks after the current unpleasantness concludes!

Melodie, Maria, and Zileska meanwhile fully ingratiate themselves with the royal guard. The guard that Zileska has been sharing a bed with agrees to leave one of the palace gates intentionally unguarded at a prearranged time to allow you easy entry.

At last, the time has come to infiltrate the Royal Palace and deal with the legendary emperors controlling Carrius. This will likely be your greatest challenge yet. You should be sure you are fully prepared before you begin...

The Imperial Palace:
The Imperial Palace is a huge complex, covering nearly one million square feet, with 3,000 rooms, and standing up to four stories tall in the main palace. In addition to serving as the primary residence for the royal family, the palace hosts several vital government offices, a wing of the Taldan Phalanx, the Ulfen Guard, stables, extensive ballrooms, archives of all relevant government documents, libraries, chapels, gardens, multiple dining rooms and kitchens, servants’ quarters, art galleries, and a private opera house nearly as large as any available in the city. Like the nearby senate building, the palace has been rebuilt, renovated, and added to continuously for millennia, creating a hive of underlevels and sealed rooms unseen by any living soul for centuries.

The Imperial Palace is surrounded by 30-foot-high stone walls that are reinforced with magic and lined with continual flame spells every 60 feet to provide the palace grounds with at least dim illumination at all times. Each of the five gates bears both an iron door and an iron portcullis, which are kept open by day but sealed every night. Most of the palace interior doors are strong wood with superior locks, while exterior doors are iron with superior locks.

Imperial Palace sentries patrol the grounds in pairs every 15 minutes, and two sentries stand at attention at each of the complex’s gates. The entirety of the palace grounds are blanketed with a permanent dimensional lock effect, preventing the use of teleportation or summoning magic; specific individuals (often members of the royal family, or special guardians) can be attuned to the effect, allowing them to teleport or summon normally. Thin lead sheeting in the walls shields most of the palace interior from divination effects.

Almost all doors and gates are protected with audible alarm spells, maintained by a small army of on-duty magi who respond to assist sentries. All five gates are likewise warded with a unique effect that causes anyone affected by an illusion spell to glow bright blue when passing through the gates and for several minutes after—a seldom-discussed feature that has embarrassed countless nobles who arrive for social functions while benefiting from “mild” illusory beauty treatments. Many doors—especially those leading to servants’ areas or guard rooms—are concealed behind illusory walls, while secure areas are sealed with arcane lock in addition to their mundane locks. Many areas are also warded with symbol of sleep or symbol of stunning spells, while the palace vault is protected by several symbols of death.

Since the Arcanists' Guild is helpful, you can bribe the mages to attune you to the palace's dimensional lock for a price of 5,000 gp per person.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 | HP:93/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +43(48), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 8/8, 2: 7/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 3/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 18/17+1; Words: 12/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

After a hefty dose of funds to the Imperial Arcanists ensure that the group can teleport in, Melodie spends a long time cloistered with her wife, Martella Lotheed and Princess Eutropia attempting to determine the best place to teleport into. Their eventual conclusion is that the viewing gallery of the great hall is the best place, likely to be u guarded but hopefully.close enough to the Prince for Lotheeds ring to access his mindscape.

"We don't want to hurt anyone if we can avoid it." She says by way of summarising the plan. Hopefully this way we'll get in unnoticed and be able to save the Prince. Anyone have additions to make?"


Female Human Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4/Arcane Trickster 10 | HP 108/108 | AC 30 T 25 FF 23 | Fort +12 Ref +21 Will +15 | Init +7 | Perc +21 | Spells 1st: 6/7, 2nd 7/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 6/6, 5th 6/6, 6th 5/5, 7th 3/3 | Boots 10/10 | Tricky Spells 5/5 | Sneak Attack 2/2 | Greater Invisibility 10/10 |

Zhi doesn't have anything to add, but she does have eyeless masks for both her and Melodie to wear.

mask from divination


Female Human Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4/Arcane Trickster 10 | HP 108/108 | AC 30 T 25 FF 23 | Fort +12 Ref +21 Will +15 | Init +7 | Perc +21 | Spells 1st: 6/7, 2nd 7/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 6/6, 5th 6/6, 6th 5/5, 7th 3/3 | Boots 10/10 | Tricky Spells 5/5 | Sneak Attack 2/2 | Greater Invisibility 10/10 |

When Zileska mentions using magic on everyone to bypass all illusion and concealment magic, Zhi looks a little nervous.

"Umm... when you do that, uh, could everyone take into account that being four months pregnant isn't ... umm ... It's not as easy as it might seem to make one's self ... presentable," she stammers out, her face turning a shade pink. Her eyes move heavenward and she reaches up to brush at them. "No judging, ok?"

Anyone looking her over after the spells are cast see that her clothes don't fit her anywhere near as well as they appeared. In fact, she looks quite frumpy. There are a lot of loose strands of hair escaping the previously neat braid down her back and blemishes cover part of her face.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 | HP:93/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +43(48), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 8/8, 2: 7/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 3/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 18/17+1; Words: 12/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Zhi:
{"You look beautiful darling, don't worry about your clothes."} Melodie's mental voice is warm and full of reassurance. {"You're carrying our child. That's beautiful no matter what. And tonight I'll brush your hair for you."} The smile is present even in her mental voice.


Female Human Rogue 3/Sorcerer 4/Arcane Trickster 10 | HP 108/108 | AC 30 T 25 FF 23 | Fort +12 Ref +21 Will +15 | Init +7 | Perc +21 | Spells 1st: 6/7, 2nd 7/7, 3rd 7/7, 4th 6/6, 5th 6/6, 6th 5/5, 7th 3/3 | Boots 10/10 | Tricky Spells 5/5 | Sneak Attack 2/2 | Greater Invisibility 10/10 |

Zhi's face whips around to her wife. "Don't even ...!" she begins, but the rest of the sharp words are left unuttered as her lip begins to tremble and her expression crumbles. "I'm sorry," she says as the tears begin to flood her eyes. "I've been such a b*#~# to you lately." She steps close and wraps her arms around Melodie. "You've been so good to me and I'm just a mess."

The round of tears only lasts for a minute or so before the current wave of emotional craziness passes. Zhi wipes her eyes as she gathers herself together. "Sorry about that, everyone. Let's do this."


Teleport: 1d100 ⇒ 7

Once everybody is fully prepared, Zhi teleports you into the Imperial Palace. You arrive right on target, concealed within the rows of seats in the gallery overlooking the throne room. The semicircular auditorium below reflects the grandeur of old Taldor: a sunburst pattern in blue and green is worked into the marble walls, radiating out from a gilded throne atop a dais. The crest of Taldor, painted on an enormous shield, hangs proudly above the throne. Gilded chairs with red velvet cushions fill most of the room, and a red velvet carpet leads up the center of the room to the base of the throne. The domed ceiling reaches 50 feet overhead.

A trio of hulking Ulfen Guards stand watch here, two wielding greatswords while Carrius's personal guard, a burly woman named Vorr, clutches a gleaming greataxe. None of them have noticed your arrival yet.

It would appear the Prince Carrius himself sits upon the Lion Throne, but the true seeing spells Zileska provided reveals him to be illusory. The wall behind the throne itself is also illusory, and there seems to be another room beyond it--perhaps the private sanctum where the true Carrius lurks.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 | HP:93/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +43(48), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 8/8, 2: 7/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 3/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 18/17+1; Words: 12/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Melodie just holds her wife, well used to the emotional waves now, and lets the feelings pass before leaning over to press a kiss to her wife's wet cheek.

With that done she slips Lotheed's Ring of the Recalled Soul on and stiffens as she detects the presence of several powerful minds jumbled together at the edge of her perceptions.

"Right." She says quietly. "Stay close." She weaves magic to bend light around the group and then concentrates as a thin line of light appears in the air in front of them and twists into a doorway.

"So." Melodie manages a small smile. "Who wants to go first?"

Zhi:
{"I love you."}


Sara volunteers to remain outside the mindscape to protect your bodies as you work to rescue Carrius. As you step through the doorway, the physical world fades away into a white mist. When the mist clears, the view has changed. Instead of a landscape of marble and plush velvet carpet, six doors lead out from this crack-riven circular chamber. In the center of the room, a human-sized rag doll sits on a wooden throne, his body and clothes stitched together from several sources and bound together with six distinct chains.

Knowledge (arcana, planes, or religion) DC 30:
The ragdoll figure of Carrius is the boy’s conception of his own soul.

Each of the six unlocked doors is slightly different:

Fire Door: This red marble door glows from within and is warm to the touch. On its surface is engraved a vista of leaping flames. Tormented faces hidden within the flames stare out from the door with despairing eyes.

Sword Door: This iron door is dull and marked with countless slices and nicks. A curved scimitar embedded in the door drips a constant stream of red blood.

Harbor Door: This narrow, rectangular door is cut from blue variegated marble. The top of the door is very pale, almost white, darkening to deep azure blue near the floor. Engraved into the door is an image of a three-masted ship

Whisper Door: This white marble door is covered with a shifting silver film of mist. Engraved into the marble is the image of a hooded figure, its hand covering its face as it whispers into the ear of another man.

Crown Door: This polished steel door is inset with an inverted golden crown. A single, teardrop-shaped ruby sits embedded in the crown, like a drop of blood

Lion Door: This arched door seems worked from solid gold. In the center of the door, the image of a lion rears on its hind legs, its mouth open in a silent roar.

As you get your bearings, the mindscape door that you entered through suddenly slams shut and vanishes! It would seem that exiting Carrius's mindscape will not be easy...


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 | HP:93/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +43(48), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 8/8, 2: 7/7, 3: 7/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 3/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 18/17+1; Words: 12/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Knw Arc: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35

"That's Carrius." Melodie says in a hushed tone. "Or how he perceives himself, which is the same thing in here." She pauses for a moment and examines the doors. "A door for each Emperor... without knowing which emperors Lotheed harvested I can't guess, except for that one." She points to the golden door with the rampant lion. "That must be Taldaris. Let's try him first, perhaps we can reason with him and get his help with the others." Despite her optimistic tone she doesn't seem entirely certain of success...

6,801 to 6,823 of 6,823 << first < prev | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's War for the Crown: Table 1 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.