DM Brainiac's War for the Crown: Table 1 (Inactive)

Game Master Brainiac

Current Date: 21 Kuthona, 4718 AR

Maps on Google Slides


6,851 to 6,900 of 7,038 << first < prev | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | next > last >>

Game Concluded

"So, not the cup with the dragon on it," Zhi says with a nod.

Zhi needs a roll a nineteen or twenty for any of the other skills. Someone else should roll for the other clues.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Melodie sets to prying clues from the Emperor.

Take 10 on bluff and dip for two more clues.


Pleased by Melodie's politeness, Beldam grunts. "Hmm, let me think, let me think... If the poison cup does not have scales, then it has hooves. And I know I did not poison the naga cup. Too obvious."

One more clue is available.


Game Concluded

"So neither the naga cup or the cup with the eagle on it," Zhi says, continuing to narrow down the possibilities. She looks over the cup with the carved scallop on it, looking for any scales. If the scallop cup doesn't have scales on it - and I don't think it should - then we're down to two cups.

"It's always interested me that the politic elite resort to poison so often," she says casually as she inspects the cups. "As if they'd rather not get their hands dirty."

Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19


Beldam scowls. "It is a matter of survival. If I do not strike back against the conspirator, then I will be dead by morning. My poisonings have always protected me in the past. Yes, I feel some guilt over the men I've killed, but I am only doing what is best for Taldor."

One failed check.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Knw Nob: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25

Melodie too in unable to wheedle anymore clues from the recalcitrant Emperor.


Game Concluded

Zhi glances at Maria, hoping that she can help.

It looks like Maria has a +30 Knowledge (nobles). :) :)


Maria knows just what to say to wheedle the last clue from Beldam. ”If the poison cup has feathers, then it is exactly two cups to the right of a golden cup.”


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Zhi:
{"Is it the hippogriff cup then?" Melodie queries her wife mentally. "It is two to the right of the other gold cup... Either way, let me talk to him. We'll need him to drink it I think."


Game Concluded

Zhi considers the clues for a moment more before nodding.

Melodie:
{"Yes, the cup with the hippogriff is poisoned."}

"The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true!" - Always love me some Danny Kaye.


ADVENTURE PATH COMPLETE

Zileska scrawls numbers on pieces of parchment and puts them in front of the cup, purely for player organizational purposes.

1. A golden cup with a scallop carving, decorated with brilliant rubies
2. A silver cup with a dragon carving, decorated with many emeralds
3. A golden cup with a hippogriff carving, decorated with pink pearls
4. A copper cup with an eagle carving and no gems
5. A silver cup with a unicorn carving, decorated with pink diamonds
6. A platinum cup with a naga carving, decorated with expensive jade

Emperor Beldam wrote:
"Let's see.. The poison cup is next to either a silver cup or a platinum cup."

"This clue doesn't exclude the eagle-marked cup, because it's next to the silver unicorn-marked one," notes Zil, pointing to #4 (copper eagle) and its neighbor #5 (silver unicorn). "But it does exclude the silver dragon cup, because it's between two gold cups, and it's not 'next to' itself."

1. A golden cup with a scallop carving, decorated with brilliant rubies
2. A silver cup with a dragon carving, decorated with many emeralds
3. A golden cup with a hippogriff carving, decorated with pink pearls
4. A copper cup with an eagle carving and no gems
5. A silver cup with a unicorn carving, decorated with pink diamonds
6. A platinum cup with a naga carving, decorated with expensive jade

Emperor Beldam wrote:
"If the poison cup has feathers, then it is exactly two cups to the right of a golden cup."

"This helps because the two that have feathers are the golden hippogriff (#3) and the copper eagle (#4). The golden hippogriff is two cups to the right of the golden scallop (#1), so it's a possibility - but the copper eagle (#4) is two cups to the right of the silver dragon (#2), so it's out."

1. A golden cup with a scallop carving, decorated with brilliant rubies
2. A silver cup with a dragon carving, decorated with many emeralds
3. A golden cup with a hippogriff carving, decorated with pink pearls
4. A copper cup with an eagle carving and no gems
5. A silver cup with a unicorn carving, decorated with pink diamonds
6. A platinum cup with a naga carving, decorated with expensive jade

Emperor Beldam wrote:
"Hmm, let me think, let me think... If the poison cup does not have scales, then it has hooves. And I know I did not poison the naga cup. Too obvious."

"So we know it's not the platinum naga. Down to three!"

1. A golden cup with a scallop carving, decorated with brilliant rubies
2. A silver cup with a dragon carving, decorated with many emeralds
3. A golden cup with a hippogriff carving, decorated with pink pearls
4. A copper cup with an eagle carving and no gems
5. A silver cup with a unicorn carving, decorated with pink diamonds
6. A platinum cup with a naga carving, decorated with expensive jade

"And we know that if it doesn't have scales, it has hooves. Put another way, we know that it has either scales or hooves. I'm pretty sure that scallops have shells and valves, while hippogriffs and eagles have feathers and claws. That means it has to be either the silver dragon, or the silver unicorn, because those are the only ones with scales or hooves."

1. A golden cup with a scallop carving, decorated with brilliant rubies
2. A silver cup with a dragon carving, decorated with many emeralds
3. A golden cup with a hippogriff carving, decorated with pink pearls
4. A copper cup with an eagle carving and no gems
5. A silver cup with a unicorn carving, decorated with pink diamonds
6. A platinum cup with a naga carving, decorated with expensive jade

"But we previously eliminated the silver dragon, because it's between two gold cups, and we know that the poisoned cup is next to a silver or platinum cup."

The priestess picks up the silver unicorn chalice.

"Which leaves only this."

She turns and holds the cup out. "Anyone want to check my work?"


Game Concluded

Zhi looks between Zileska and Melodie, unsure whether the priestess just made a mistake or whether she's purposefully attempting to mislead the Beldam's shade.

She decides that Melodie is more capable of deciphering the situation and keeps her mouth shut.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Melodie steps over and speaks quietly to Zileska. "Nice move. Zhi and I agree the poison is in the hippogriff cup, but we can use this." She squeezes the priestesses hand briefly and takes the cup.

"Your Majesty. We have determined the poisoned cup, it is this one with the silver unicorn. I commend your sense of irony, poisoning a cup engraved with an animal proof against all poisons!"

Bluff, why do I even need to roll? :D Innocence spell: 1d20 + 49 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 49 + 10 = 68


Beldam smiles. ”Thank you. I see you are truly on my side. There are so few whom I can trust.”

The mists and shadows of the room swirl, and your bodies lurch. A moment later your find yourself seated around the long, dark table dressed in fashions and jewels centuries out of date. A goblet sits before you, and at the head of the table Beldam lifts his own—the hippogriff. “To Taldor, long may she know peace!”

You are compelled to drink, and Beldam does likewise. His eyes bulge, and he sputters and gasps before collapsing onto the table, dying within seconds. The whispering shadows in the council chamber grow less sinister and more defined, eventually transforming into nervous-looking men and women.

You find yourselves back in your normal gear, and are free to leave. When you do so, the whispering door crumbles, and more of Carrius is restored.

Instead of solving the puzzle, you could have also bashed Beldam over the head with one of the marble busts, as that was how he was killed by his wife.


Game Concluded

Ouch. Brutal. :) :)

Zhi looks around at the remaining four doors.

"So which one next?" she asks.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

"There are two more we might be able to not fight..." Melodie says slowly. "Cyricas was a great explorer and adventurer. I wonder whether we might be able to get him to compete - a contest of skill or some such. I'm not certain though. And Daronlyr XII. His leadership skills were exceptional, so I might be able to challenge him to some sort of test linked to that? Gennarius and Stavian... they're known for violence - I think we'll be fighting them no matter what. Shall we try and resolve the peaceful ones first? Maybe Cyricas, or Daronlyr?"


Game Concluded

"Let's try Cyricas first," Zhi responds after a moment of consideration.


When you are ready, you open the harbor door. A dense jungle stretches out beyond the door. Trees loom overhead, draped with brilliant green, while stifling humidity and buzzing insects fill the air. The cries of tropical birds echo in the distance. The drone of insects forms a constant backdrop, and bright-colored flowers peek through the foliage.

A deep, raspy voice seems to come from everywhere. “So... you come to hunt the hunter, eh? Damn good time! Find me, then, and I shall grant you the kindness of a swift death.”

The PCs must track Cyricas through the jungle. Cyricas leaves a difficult trail to find, requiring three successful DC 30 Perception or Survival checks in a row. There are consequences for failure.


Game Concluded

Zhi can Take 10 on Perception for 31.


With Zhi leading the way, you travel through the jungle, managing to keep track of the faint trail the emperor has left behind. After several miles, you hear a chuckle from nearby. Cyricas rasps, “Ah! Worthy opponents,” and steps clear of the foliage 20 feet away. A spiritual ape looms large beside him. ”Mordal! Attack!” the emperor orders, and both of them rush toward you!

Initiative:
Mai Zhi: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Maria: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Melodie: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Zileska: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Safina: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Enemies: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Everybody may act first!


Game Concluded

After casting her spell of speed, Zhi vanishes from sight to fly around to take a flanking position behind Cyricas.

haste

Current Effects: mage armor, shield, reduce person, mirror image, fly, mask from divination, spell turning, greater invisibility
Mirror Image: 6 images
Spell Turning: 9 levels
Koriana's Blade: +4 AC
Current AC: 37 - 50% miss chance vs sighted opponents


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

"Stop!" Melodie commands the ape, her voice ringing with power.

Charm animal. Dc25 with all the normal penalties. If he fails Mel will tell him to restrain the hunter aka. Cyricas.


Female Rakshasa-spawn Tiefling Investigator 17 | HP 103/105 | AC 34 T 17 FF 29 | Fort +11 Ref +20 Will +16 | Initiative +9 | Perception +20 (free Insp) | Sense Motive +23 (free Insp)

As Zhi casts her invisibility spell, Maria drinks her own and likewise floats to engage Cyricas.

Current effects - Barkskin, Greater False Life, Overland Flight, Greater Invisibility.


Will: 1d20 + 9 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 9 - 4 = 25

Mordal the ape roars in fury as he resists Melodie's spell!

Zileska is still up.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Wow! Lucky monkey. Next time!


ADVENTURE PATH COMPLETE

Sorry, been quite a time lately.

Zileska unfurls her whip and cracks it at the ape.

Whip attack: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (11) + 17 = 28
Whip damage: 1d3 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 4 + (6) = 11 The last 1d6 is electrical.

Carries poison: DC 26 Fort save or take 1d3 Strength damage, save once per round for 6 rounds.


Fortitude: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Bite, Claws: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 201d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 191d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20

Mordal shrieks as Zileska lashes him with her electrifying whip, but he resists the poison. The ape bites and claws at the cleric, somehow managing to just narrowly miss with each attack!

Cyricas sighs as Maria and Zhi disappear. ”Charlatans! I will have none of your jiggery-pokery!” He shifts his stance slightly in the same way you have seen Sara do so hundreds of times, then begins to box at his invisible attackers! His first strike is a lucky uppercut to Zhi’s chin that threatens to knock her out! He lands another hit on her chest before she manages to dodge the other ones,

Target (Maria, Zhi): 1d2 ⇒ 2
Flurry, PA: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (20) + 22 = 421d20 + 22 ⇒ (20) + 22 = 421d20 + 17 ⇒ (15) + 17 = 321d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 301d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 201d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 281d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Miss Chance (Blind Fight): 2d100 ⇒ (62, 86) = 1482d100 ⇒ (95, 87) = 182
Crit Confirms: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (19) + 22 = 411d20 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25
Damage: 4d8 + 42 ⇒ (7, 1, 6, 3) + 42 = 592d8 + 21 ⇒ (5, 7) + 21 = 33

92 Damage to Zhi! She must make a DC 24 Fortitude save or fall unconscious as per the brawler’s knockout blow ability. Everybody may act!

I will roll for Safina in the morning.


ADVENTURE PATH COMPLETE

Zileska re-applies her poison and lashes out at the ape again.

Apply poison as a move action with no chance of poisoning self, then attack.

Whip attack: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24
Whip damage: 1d3 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (5) = 12 The last 1d6 is electrical.

Another DC 26 Fort save or lose 1d3 Strength. Note that dragon's bile has no "cure" entry. The ape must save every round for 6 rounds, no matter how many times it succeeds, and loses 1d3 Strength each time it fails.


Game Concluded

Zhi attempts to move to avoid the blow, but stumbles at the last moment.

Twist Away - Reflex Save vs DC 24: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (2) + 21 = 23

... and drops to the ground, unconscious.

Well, that was anti-climactic. XD

Current Effects: mage armor, shield, reduce person, mirror image, fly, mask from divination, spell turning, greater invisibility
Mirror Image: 6 images
Spell Turning: 9 levels
Koriana's Blade: +4 AC
Current AC: 37 - 50% miss chance vs sighted opponents


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Melodie growls as she feels her wife wink out of consciousness.

"BAD move Cyricas!" She growls before smashing her will into the Emperors.

Dominate Person. DC26 with all the usual penalties.


Dominate person takes a full round to cast so it won’t take effect until after Cyricas acts again. Maria is still up.


Last Round

Magic Number: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Destiny's Barb, Challenge, Deadly Aim, Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (12) + 22 = 341d20 + 22 ⇒ (15) + 22 = 371d20 + 22 ⇒ (5) + 22 = 271d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 311d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29
Crit Confirm?: 2d20 ⇒ (7, 20) = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 29 ⇒ (7) + 29 = 361d8 + 29 ⇒ (8) + 29 = 371d28 + 29 ⇒ (8) + 29 = 371d8 + 29 ⇒ (1) + 29 = 302d8 + 58 ⇒ (5, 8) + 58 = 71

Safina opens fire on the ape, driving bolt after bolt into its body. The final shot catches it in the throat, and as it falls, its body transforms into a glowing blue wisp. "Mordal, my boy! You'll pay dearly for that, you spurious rake!" Cyricas declares.

This Round:

Safina switches aim to Cyricas, but the former emperor bats away her first bolt and deftly dodges all the other ones!

Destiny's Barb, Challenge, Deadly Aim, Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (10) + 22 = 321d20 + 22 ⇒ (5) + 22 = 271d20 + 22 ⇒ (5) + 22 = 271d20 + 17 ⇒ (4) + 17 = 211d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Maria is still up.


Botting Maria

Maria Attacks: 1d20 + 27 ⇒ (9) + 27 = 361d20 + 27 ⇒ (12) + 27 = 391d20 + 22 ⇒ (1) + 22 = 231d20 + 17 ⇒ (2) + 17 = 19
Damage: 2d6 + 13 ⇒ (1, 3) + 13 = 172d6 + 13 ⇒ (5, 6) + 13 = 24

Maria lashes out with her electrified sword cane, slicing Cyricas twice. The former emperor growls in pain. "Have at you, then! I'll give you a cauliflower ear!" He lashes out a the invisible tiefling, but Melodie's stare disorients him and he only manages to land one hit.

Cyricas Flurry, Stare: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (15) + 18 = 331d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 381d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 251d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 281d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 151d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 221d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Crit?: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (8) + 22 = 30
Miss Chance: 2d100 ⇒ (55, 31) = 86
Damage: 2d8 + 21 ⇒ (7, 6) + 21 = 34

Will: 1d20 + 14 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 14 - 4 = 13

Melodie completes her spell, and Cyricas goes rigid as the domination takes effect. But a few moments later, he dissolves into a glowing blue wisp just like Mordal the ape did. The wisps dart off into the jungle!

34 damage to Maria. Combat over for now.

After waking Zhi, you quickly move to pursue the wisps. The jungle ends at the edge of a vast, stinking swamp. The night sky is hidden by clouds of marsh gas, which glow with a faint green luminescence. The ground is sticky and murky, with hillocks protruding drunkenly from the muck.

Crossing the swamp requires a successful DC 30 Acrobatics, Swim, or Survival check, or else a flight speed. A failed check exposes the character to bloodsucking leeches, inflicting 1d3 Constitution damage.


Female Rakshasa-spawn Tiefling Investigator 17 | HP 103/105 | AC 34 T 17 FF 29 | Fort +11 Ref +20 Will +16 | Initiative +9 | Perception +20 (free Insp) | Sense Motive +23 (free Insp)

Sorry to make you bot Maria - was busy this morning before work and you'd botted her by the time I got home.

Maria drifted over the swamp, glad for her flight extract but questioning the value of her greater false life ones as Cyricas had blasted through the extra defence with a single punch.


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

"I don't suppose you feel like carrying me sweetheart?" Melodie says to her wife with a gentle smile. "This sort of thing is not my best terrain..."


Game Concluded

Hopefully Zileska will be able to bestow some healing on Zhi before we head out - she's currently at 16 HP.

"I'll do my best, Printesa Mea," the half-sized Zhi says with a grin. "Put your arms over my shoulders." Her eyes narrow. "And no coping a feel."

Zhi then casts a spell of flight on Zileska before the group takes flight.

Assuming Maria can carry Safina.


With Maria carrying Safina, you all fly over the treacherous swamp. Cyricas’s mote of light continues to fly through thick, primeval forest, which eventually opens up into the throne room of Taldor’s Imperial Palace. Cyricas transforms back into a human and stands before the dais, crestfallen. After a moment, he turns to face you, and in a heavy tone says “I miss it dearly, you know—travel, adventure, the comforts of home. Life. And it’s simply not in my nature to give up on the things I want.” He turns back to look longingly at the throne once again.


Game Concluded

"That's the cycle of life, though, Your Majesty," Zhi says, feeling the urge to speak. "We live our lives and then we move on to the next existence so that others get to experience the same joys and sorrows. And if we refuse to move on, who knows what adventures we're missing out by holding on to the past?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (4) + 21 = 25

However, the urge to speak doesn't necessarily carry with it the ability to speak well.


"But it doesn't have to be that way," Cyricas says, turning to face Zhi. "History is full of stories of heroes being brought back from beyond the grave for a second shot at life. I understand there's some newfangled miracle cure out of Thuvia that can even stave off old age indefinitely! Why must I be a prisoner to Pharasma's judgment? Why can't my story get a sequel as well?"


Game Concluded

"But your second chance comes with an unspeakable cost. You're denying a young man his destined path. You're usurping his destiny for a chance to partake in selfish glory. That's not the trait of a worthy emperor. Prince Carrius deserves to live his future as his own. Not as some necromantic vehicle for vain-glory drunk old men."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (9) + 21 = 30


Cyricas sighs and lowers his eyes. "Perhaps... perhaps it's not about what I want. It's about what is right." He nods brusquely, then squares his shoulders. "Very well. I relinquish my claim on the boy. His legend shall be his own to forge. Who knows? He might even one day find himself among the stars as well..."

Cyricas smiles and gives you all a smart salute before fading away. The throne room shifts and twists into a child’s bedroom filled with books, flowers, and medical supplies. When you exit through the bedroom door, you find yourselves back in Carrius's mindscape. The harbor door crumbles to rubble behind you.

Carrius himself seems halfway restored to flesh and blood, but even a casual glance shows that he is exhausted and ill. Three emperors' spirits remain--Stavian, Gennaris, and Daronlyr.


ADVENTURE PATH COMPLETE
d'Valois Mai Zhi wrote:
Hopefully Zileska will be able to bestow some healing on Zhi before we head out - she's currently at 16 HP.

I'm happy to cast heal on Zhi, it's just hard to target her in combat when she's invisible and I can't see her.


Game Concluded

Not complaining and totally understand. :)


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Melodie gives Zhi a kiss on the cheek in reward when her wife talks Cyricas down.

Zhi:
{"You can sweet talk me like that any time darling. Or use your tongue for other things."}

-------------------
"How are we doing?" She asks, "Does anyone need to recover or can we press on? Time flows oddly in places like this but I don't want our bodies left alone for any longer than necessary."

She waits for reports and then heads towards the door that, she hopes, holds Emperor Daronlyr.

"I think this will have some sort of test." She warns. "Daronlyr claimed the loyalty of the Ulfen Guard from his brother to take the throne. So we might have a lot of angry beserkers to deal with."


Game Concluded

With the touch of Zileska's healing magic, Zhi seems much more positive. After giving her wife a chaste peck back on the cheek as well, she looks over the remaining doors.

"I'm up for another one is everyone else is game," she says.

Zhi will have to recast her short-term spells (i.e. reduce person, shield, mirror image, and fly), but other than that, she's ready to go.


Through the crown door, you find yourselves in a mental recreation of the imperial throne room that paints itself in longer shadows and deeper reds than the genuine article. Fur cloaks drape over a gilded throne in which a figure slumps, blood still pouring from a wound in his chest, forming a stream that flows through the rest of the room. A tall Taldan man stands beside him, turning to face the room as he places the crown atop his head. Bowing before him are dozens of strong Ulfen warriors. This must be Daronlyr.

When you approach Daronlyr, he smiles and wipes the blood from his blade. “To a learned man, blades are no more threatening that a poorly wielded hickory switch. I command a thousand men, ready to die at my whim. Can your would-be emperor command that devotion? Can you? I offer you one chance to sway my Ulfen Guard with a display of arms, an impassioned speech, or another method of your choice. Fail, and they will be your doom.”

Each PC has one chance to win over as many guards as they can before Daronlyr orders whichever bodyguards remain loyal to kill the intruders. The Ulfen Guards’ loyalty imposes a –4 penalty on the PCs’ skill checks. The skills for this task are the same as those used to win the loyalty of the Ulfen Guard in the real world: Survival, Intimidate, Knowledge (history), Diplomacy, or Bluff.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Did someone say Bluff? :D :D :D

"Guards, we are here on the authority of the rightful Emperor. Daronlyr is a traitor and a regicide!" Melodie cries, her voice ringing with feigned conviction.

Bluff: 1d20 + 49 ⇒ (5) + 49 = 54


Game Concluded

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 21 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 21 - 4 = 21

I see your 5 and raise you a ... 4. ;)

"If all it takes to sway the loyalty of such men is a blade through their previous rulers heart, then perhaps that loyalty isn't worth very much," Zhi says, drawing her own blade. "Shall I demonstrate?"


Daronlyr chuckles darkly. ”You are welcome to try, though I fear you will find your weapons are quite ineffective against my might!”


Female NG Changeling Mesmerist (Vox) 17 RETIRED | HP:71/93 | AC: 25 (17 Tch, 21 Fl) | CMB: 11, CMD: 25 | F: +8, R: +17, W: +17 | Init: +8 | Perc/SM +23, Bluff +44(49), Dip +38, I +34, Dis +34, UMD +22, Spcft + 18, KnwA +16| Speed 30ft | Spells: 1: 7/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 4/6, 5: 6/6, 6: 1/3 | Tricks: Alac, Curse (M), Free (M), Gift, Visions (M) 10/17+1; Words: 10/12 | Mask: DT (DC20) 9/9, TS 1/1 | Active: See Invisbility, Echolocation

Forgot the -4 so my total is a (mere but nice round) 50.

6,851 to 6,900 of 7,038 << first < prev | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's War for the Crown: Table 1 Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.