Call Forth Darkness (Inactive)

Game Master Aku Warashi

You hear in his dying breath whisper “The shining sun has seen the wickedness you hide in hearts. And thus it will be the son who brings your doom.” then he dies.

Loot; Dramatis Personae; Battle Map

Evil Lair. Modifications


2,251 to 2,300 of 2,465 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Hound looks utterly unimpressed by the pale, thin things. I am the thorn that protects the roses from the beetles and grubs that seek to despoil them. If you seek to speak with them, be sure to keep a courteous tone.


aka Alina | Female Changeling Witch 7 [HP 43/43 | Bust: 32C | AC:17 | T:15 | FF:16 | CMD:13 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+8 | Init:+2 | Per:+9 | Sense Motive:+2 | Bluff:+19 (+2 sexy bonus) | Diplomacy:+12 | Intimidate:+10 | Spellcraft:+14]

Wonderful! I was going to see about seeking out Elise after the celebration!

Nahia can't help but smile when she sees the newly arrived party. Knowing that they need to be discreet, Nahia makes her normal rounds, chatting with people as she passes by, remarking on this or that outfit, complimenting someone's dance skills... until she makes her way to 'Miss Fairworth'.

Smiling at the woman, she softly says "Well, you seem quite distinct from the other noble ladies. I'm Jessica Morningstar, pleased to meet you."


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

Guys, I apologize for the slow posting rate. I’m at the last semester of my master’s degree and things are piling up, that and the fact I can barely post for work (I used to work at night shifts and ever since I changed to normal working time I can’t find free time to post), so hang in there for a couple more of months, until things get back on track again. For good or worse, the classes end on November.

@Hound
The nobles laughs loud at Hound’s statement and one of them points out ”the flower thinks it has thorns.” he says that while placing one hand on his ornamental sword. ”Is it only by the grace of hour host that I’ll spare you the humiliation of being beaten and proven the fraud you are.”

==//==

@Cecelia

The man’s face darken at you question and he seems to be debating with himself as what to say, until after a long sigh he finally admits ”Damn frustrating it is.” he looks around seemly disgusted with where is he is and speaks on lower voice ”The Lord of the town went to war, leaving me to lookout for the city, the curse from the Briar is apparent, the city is in chaos and my hand and feet are tied up. If it were for me I would mount an account on the Briar as the Victor did several decades ago, alas that I cannot do. Else the city and the watchtower fall with no one to protect it.” then he regains his composure and continues ”But I must apologize, this is hardly something you should concern yourself with.” drinking more from his cup he asks ”What motivates someone from the faith to adventure?”

==//==
@Jessica

The woman smiles brightly and genuinely maybe for the first time in the night as she answers ”Why, hello Lady Jessica. It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” and immediately the woman looks around a teasing smile on her face ”What brings you here Lady Jessica of the Briar Rose?”


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Oh goody, I haven't spilled a man's blood in some time. Just those blasted creatures.

Well, if one thinks they need satisfaction, perhaps taking this outside so our host won't be dismayed by stained carpets.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

Hmm...So the Horn is on his radar. I'll have to make sure I tell the others. A raid could be...problematic...But the watchtower is badly understaffed...That is good to know too... Cecelia thinks to herself, as she nods along in agreement with Sir Valin and offers up all the feigned sympathy she can muster. "Oh no! Please don't apologize! I don't mind at all! It must be so difficult for you to shoulder such a heavy responsibility for the people of Farholde. The least I can do is lend a sympathetic ear!"

When the conversation turns back to herself, she lets out a fake giggle. "Adventure? Oh! You make it sound so exciting! I just started travelling because, well...I felt a calling and knew that if I wanted my faith and understanding to grow, I needed to experience life outside of Matharyn. To be honest, I barely know the Roses at all! But it isn't really safe any more for a young woman travelling alone...what, with the bugbear raids and all. I must confess, my companions are the ones who know the Baron. But how could I miss the opportunity to come to a party like this!" Smiling sweetly, she adds, "I must admit was almost regretting that I came earlier in the night. I only really know the company I came with...and even then, only barely...and then some of the men here have been a little bit..." Cecelia pauses, as if the sentence is just too scandalous to finish, "Well, I should not even honor that manner of behavior by dwelling on it. But, I can honestly say that having found such a...gentleman to talk to. Well, it has just made the whole night worth it!"

Grand Lodge

Female Halfling Rogue 4/Sorcerer3 (efreeti bloodline) | HP 7/37 AC 22 | T 17 | FF 17 | CMB +4 | CMD 20 | FORT +3 | REF +11 | WILL +4 | INIT +5 | Perception +11(+12 with traps) | Stealth +19 | Bluff +11 | Sense Motive +3 | Diplomacy +8 | Spellcraft +8
active effects:

Oh dear, hound is about to have one of his moments Mysty looked around for help to stop the impending violence. Seeing Nahia, she quickly moves over to her.

May I have a moment of your time?

When Nahia bends close, Mysty says Hound is about to have a fight. With that group of nobles pointing out the confrontation.

Should we stop it, or take bets on how long before the last of them drops. I'm thinking a fight will be bad for us. I would stop it, but those sort disregard halflings.


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

@All

Cecelia’s talk with the heir, Nahia’s flirt with the seventh witch and even Mysty attempt to pacify the situation ends with the same nobles all everyone’s attention.

”Friends! Lords and Ladies! Please hear me out!” he starts and the music slowly fades, the elven singer looking curiously towards the one calling for attention. ”This… adventurer he says with scorn and malice on his voice ”saw fit to question my honor and abuse our host benevolence, trying to prove his brutish ways on a matter of a duel!” the last word is said with higher inflection, as to no one miss the meaning.

He turns towards the baron and after bowing continues ”My dear Baron of Westell and Mir, do I have your blessing to teach this creature its rightful place?”


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

This one maligned myself and my role as the Rose's guardian which maligns them as well. Such words can't be unanswered.


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

”And now he continues to sprout lies trying to tarnish my reputation!” the man continues to address the crowd. ”Any of those who witnessed this insults ” he says gesturing to the ones that approached Hound before ”they can confirm such thing is lying!”


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

A duel? Hardly, everyone knows dueling is not allowed. I instead suggest good fisticuffs. Satisfy honor and inflict nothing more than a blow to pride and a split lip.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

As the chitter chatter surrounding her quiets to a hush and all eyes turn to Hound, Cecelia sighs deeply. Oh for goodness sake. Looking from Hound to the noble that is squabbling with him she just shakes her head. She hadn't known Hound long, but in the time she had known she had witnessed him practically solo two invisible extraplanar creatures. She was pretty certain that Lord Sleazebag was about to be in for a bad day if this went much further.

However, she had been carefully trying to craft and image for herself all night, so when she turns to face Sir Valin once more her eyes appear to well with fear. She lets her hand touch his arm briefly and then flinches back, as if she were so caught up in being distressed that she forgot herself. Speaking just to him, in nearly whimpered tones, she say "Oh dear, oh dear...Oh Lord Darian...Please! You mustn't listen to them! He seems rough around the edges...but he wouldn't get dragged into a fight like this...not unless..." she looks scandalized for a moment, "Not unless he felt that one of the women in the Roses was being threatened or dishonored...he's very...protective...and some of those men...oh dear...oh dear..."


aka Alina | Female Changeling Witch 7 [HP 43/43 | Bust: 32C | AC:17 | T:15 | FF:16 | CMD:13 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+8 | Init:+2 | Per:+9 | Sense Motive:+2 | Bluff:+19 (+2 sexy bonus) | Diplomacy:+12 | Intimidate:+10 | Spellcraft:+14]

Jessica smiles at Miss Fairworth and curtsies briefly. "I'm here representing my Father's investment in this company. We came for the party, but given the rumors flying about we figured we'd check out what was going on in the woods as well." She begins to continue, to ask a question of her own, when Mysty comes near.

When Mysty comes up and speaks of Hound, at first, Nahia is annoyed. But as the tensions between the groups escalate, a grin spreads over Nahia's face. Nahia whispers to Mysty "This could work to our advantage. If the Baron goes for it, let them fight."

Nahia steps forward to Hound and the noble and adds "Come now gentlemen, is this really necessary?"

Turning to the Noble, she says "Please, Sir, our companion is more used to mincing bandits than words. If you want someone to beat something into a pulp so fine that you can no longer identify it, he is your man. But he just doesn't understand how such words might do as much damage as his meaty fists."

Turning to Hound and speaking softly, but not too softly, she continues "And do we really need to repeat this? Remember Sir Gowain? Do you remember how much it cost to pay the healers to put his face back together? Or the soldier before that? Father is still paying that man to sweep up the store since he isn't good for much else anymore..."

Bluff to Cover the Lying: 1d20 + 19 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 19 + 2 = 30
Intimidate to Make him scared to fight Hound: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Hoping to either make him too scared of Hound to fight, or to goad into a fight with Hound, where Hound will win.

If we make everyone known about how scary Hound is, if we 'disappear' while going after the rumors of the Horn, then it might discourage more silly nobles creating adventuring parties.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

When Nahia approaches, Hound takes a more deferential stance and nods at her words. My apologies madam, his tone angered me and I forgot my role as dutiful guardian and rose tot he bait. I shall respect your decision in this matter.


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

Sir Valin seemed to resign himself to the fact he would have to intervene with the whole mess, even more after Cecelia’s speech. The man seems ready to step when the Nahia’s intervene with her bluff and hidden threats.

Lord Wilfred Postelnicu, a petty and spoiled lordling borrowing his father authority to bully others didn’t expect that such woman would be able to instill such fear on him. He tries to still his raging pulse and finally says ”Go on then, hide behind a woman skit for all I care!” he snaps turning away and fleeing from the party.

There’s some laugh, some stares, but things return to normal and the music starts again and soon, it’s as if nothing had really happened.

@Cecelia
Sir Valin seems deep in thought about something and then tells you ”If you excuse me my lady, I got matters to attend to.” he bows and walk away the same direction the lordling fled.

@Nahia
”Well aren’t you resourceful as ever?” the white haired witch giggles with the whole thing before leaning forward and whispering on Nahia’s ear ”I’m sure we can find somewhere private if you want…”


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Hound just brushes off his coat as if disposing of an annoyance.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

"Of course, milord. I don't mean to take up too much of your time. It was a pleasure talking to you. Perhaps I will be so fortunate to bump into you again while I'm in Farholde," Cecelia says with a curtsy.

Hmm...I wonder where he needed to go all of a sudden. Cecelia casually hovers for a moment around the party, before casually wandering in the direction that Sir Valin left.


aka Alina | Female Changeling Witch 7 [HP 43/43 | Bust: 32C | AC:17 | T:15 | FF:16 | CMD:13 | Fort:+4 | Ref:+5 | Will:+8 | Init:+2 | Per:+9 | Sense Motive:+2 | Bluff:+19 (+2 sexy bonus) | Diplomacy:+12 | Intimidate:+10 | Spellcraft:+14]

Huh, I was trying to make him afraid of Hound, not myself...

Nahia shivers at Elise's invitation, but she sees Sir Valin quickly leaving from the corner of her eye. With a sigh she whispers "Please hold that invitation... please"

She quickly makes her way to Mysty and says "Tail Valin and see where he goes. Something is amiss here..."

With that done, she returns to Miss Fairworth and says "You have no idea how much I would love that... Do you think the others will be alright without me? Maybe we should stay... nearby..." with a playful grin spreading across her face.


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

@Nahia
”They are grown-ups and don’t need to be babysitted by you.” she says smiling and leading you away… And finally, Nahia gave into temptation, entering perdition’s door, never to be seen again…

Anyone following sir Valin?

The party continues the music, the drinks, the food, petty nobles and arrogant man and women. Overall, anything you might expect from a nobles party. There’s a lot of opportunity to make contacts and alliances with other nobles or merchants, provided the true nature of your endeavor is hidden and unknown.
If anyone wants to roll a diplomacy, I’ll tell if there’s any bonus to get from this party, and if no one else wants to do anything, I’ll move you back to the horn and continue the ritual.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

Cecelia begins moving towards the door, contemplating following Sir Valin, when she notices Nahia speaking to Mysty. Not wanting to get in the halfling's way, she retreats back into the party and tries once more to lure nobles into conversation.

Gather Information: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35 Well, I can't do any better than that... ;)

Knowing that love of gossip runs deep within the noble community, she tries to use the long conversation she had with Sir Valin to her advantage. She of course plays it coy, insisting adamantly (and in reality, quite honestly) that nothing happened between them and they were just having a friendly conversation. Still, she does try to drop a few hints that she might be interested if he was and that, while she doesn't know where she will be staying, the Baron would be the best way to contact her. What is there to lose? If he's interested, we can manipulate him. If he's not. Nothing lost. She keeps this act up for a while until she believes she has managed to surround herself by the worst gossips in the neighborhood. From there she listens quietly hoping that the conversation turns to other local topics and that the group she has found are such incorrigible gossips that they will forget her presence and outsider status.

Once Cecelia has consumed all the local drama she can stomach, she looks around trying to assess where the rest of her group is. Hound is easy enough to spot and she gives him a small nod. Looking for Nahia, she realizes that she and the Fairworth woman she was talking to all night seemed to have left. That's odd...Perhaps they had business to discuss privately.... However, before she can look for Mysty her eyes fall upon two members of the Fairworth company. Two men with the same dark hair. The same eyes. The same nose. The same mouth. Twins. Staring longer and more intently than is polite, Cecelia starts to feel pain and anger flaring up like fire. Images of smoke swirls around in her brain and feel so tangible that it starts to feel like she can't breathe. Suddenly the music is too loud, the smell of food and alcohol is making her nauseous and there are just too many people in the room. Every last one of them feels like a threat and all Cecelia can think about is getting out of there. Pushing desperately through the crowd, she all but runs out of the manor, feeling relieved as the cold winter air washes over her. Leaning over a nearby fence and placing her head in her hands, she focuses on controlling her breathing and not throwing up while she waits for the others to be ready to leave. Any partygoers who approach her with concerns are quickly waved away by claims that she was just feeling a bit sick.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

@Cecelia
5d20 ⇒ (5, 19, 12, 16, 14) = 66
Thru your conversation with the nobles, you gather several rumors.


  • Some of the nobles were talking about the strange creatures living in the briar. Particularly about talking trees and how one was sight not a day’s ride from town some months ago. It doesn’t take much to realize tho they are talking of the previous guardian of the horn. The Lightning treant killed by the Ninth.
  • Some seems to be trying to earn the baron’s favor by eloquently praising the man. Not just once, you hear about the baron’s good deed for keeping the only orphanage in town.
  • More talk about the briar, and how those strange stone spires are haunted by evil spirits.
  • Here is where you hear an interesting tidbit: “The Knights of the Alerion have gone mad and are blaming the invasion on the temple of Asmodeus." the noble says and then continues "They’re burning anyone with a black cat at the stake! It’s madness! There hasn’t been a cult of Asmodeus in Talingarde for twenty years. Someone’s organizing the bugbears, surely, but Asmodeans? Ha!” he laughs off dismissing the truth right in front of him.
  • And then you hear more histories of the strange creatures of the Briar. Particularly about a he-devil, big as a house tiger that lives in the briar.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Hound keeps to playing the role of bodyguard for Cecelia since Nahia and Mysty have snuck off. Hovering on the edges, he nurses an ale and some small bit of food since hobnobbing with the nobility is utterly beyond his capabilities and he didn't want to rile the crowd up again right now.

Sigh. Horn sweet horn.


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

Leaving any following attempt to Mysty, which lost her timing and wasn’t able to find the heir, the knot continues to enjoy the party and talk with the many guests. Maybe because of the problem with the noble, no one else cared, or even game much attention to the villains for the remaining of the night. They were classified as adventures, savage, brutes and that was it. No other thing needed to be said in the noble’s opinions.

The party continues well late into the night, with some of the nobles leaving earlier, others leaving later. There were some surprises of course. Scandals as nobles that are supposedly enemies copulating with one another, rumors of alleged alliances, declared enemies. Everything you should expect from a noble party.

Nahia and Elise took their sweet time to rejoin the party, and one could guess, by their flushed face, coy smiles and familiar intimacy that the night was well enjoyed by them.
==

Leaving on the morning or during the night, the villains travel back to the horn, with no other impediment. During the travel, now away from the noise and all the interaction, there’s this feeling they are missing something important…

4d20 ⇒ (4, 9, 3, 4) = 20

The feeling persists thru all the trip, but no one remembers what is missing.

==//==

Back at the horn, Grumblejack receives the villains and report what happened in their absence, which was nothing out of ordinary.


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

The following days passes with no News, no attacks and nothing out of ordinary until a new courier arrives from the city carrying a note from the Seventh.

The note reads:

To the Ninth:

A new group of adventurers are in town – they are too visible to attack directly. They assault the Horn soon, unsure of the exact time of arrival. They mentioned something about the ‘center eye’. Third level entry?
Traya DeMarco – the leader, a sorceress of some sort.
Hassan J’raaq – a strange foreign barbarian with red skin, horns and a large curved sword.
Tasker Twelve-Knives – half-orc knife specialist, a weakness for pretty women
Posca the Merchant – dwarven cleric of a god of merchants, greedy above all else
-- Z


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

@Nahia – Disclaimer to others: Read at your own peril, very suggestive theme written inside:

You’ve been warned.

@Nahia, this is an old one, but where it was once used as only an example, I think it’s now a fitting situation.

Liza leads you into a random room in manor you are not even sure which room you entered. By the time you finished closing the door and turned to Liza, she was already pressed against you. A quiet gasp of surprise at her intensity escapes your mouth, she gently lean into you, pressing your shoulders against the door.

She lowered her mouth to yours, and her lips were soft, sweet, fevor-hot. Strangely she went rigid for a second, then let out a low sound and wound her arms around your neck and shoulders, kissing you deeply. You can feel her, the slender, too-warm strength and softness of her body.

The hunger deepened, and did the kiss, your tongue touching hers, lightly teasing. She responded ardently, her lips almost desperate, low whimpers vibrating through her mouth into yours, and that only made you press harder against her. You slid one hand over her hip, beneath the dress, to curl around the naked sweetness of her waist. You pulled her harder against you, and she responded, her breath hot and quick, lifting one leg to press against your, winding around your calf, pulling you nearer.

You lowered your mouth to her throat, tongue tasting her skin, and she ached against you, baring more of her skin. You drew a line of kisses up to her ear, gently biting and recounting your adventures, sending quivering shock waves through her as she shook against you, her throat letting out quiet sounds of deepening need. You found her lips again, and her fingers tightened against your hair, drawing you hard against her…

==//==

How much time has passed you are not sure, Liza lay there confortable in your arms, a happy smile on her face, her eyes closed as if trying to freeze this moment on her memory but then she breaks the moment as she asks ”Tell me about this spot on the woods which you want to show me…” she says without lifting her face.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Boom shacka boom shacka wowow

Hound looks at the note. Perhaps this Tasker could be lured away by a pretty face. Hound looks at Nahia and Cecelia. Then we could ambush him. Plus if this Posca is greedy, we could spread a rumor about treasure in say the caverns and launch an ambush.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

Oh my. Cecelia would be so scandalized if she knew...

Cecelia remains quiet for the whole trip back, mumbling responses when necessary, but otherwise staying very lost in her own head. Eventually she does speak up, to share some of the information she learned. However, she tries to keep her report as brief as necessary, so she can return to her brooding. "We need to watch out for the commander. His understaffed watchtower is keeping him tied down, but the horn is definitely on his radar. Also, apparantly the Knight of Alerion are looking for Asmodeans rather agressively...and they are..." ...burning people at the stake... With that, Cecelia disappears once more into her own head and manages to be even more sullen and dour than usual for he next several days.

---

News that attackers could soon be arriving helps Cecelia to regain focus and get out of the funk she had been stuck in. Moving into the meeting room, she listens to Hounds report, shifting somewhat uncomfortably when the idea of seduction is thrown out. Sir Valin was one thing. He was predictable. But a through and through womanizer? Do I know how to handle that? Staying quiet, she looks over at Nahia, hoping she volunteers. However, she does remark, "A trap is a good idea. Prey on his greed..."


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Something with more flash than actual value. Perhaps appeal to greed and his faith. Stolen religious texts, valuable items from the church. Time for some study on enemy faiths.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

"Something that would appeal to a follower of the god of merchants? Hmm...let me think..."

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

Grand Lodge

Female Halfling Rogue 4/Sorcerer3 (efreeti bloodline) | HP 7/37 AC 22 | T 17 | FF 17 | CMB +4 | CMD 20 | FORT +3 | REF +11 | WILL +4 | INIT +5 | Perception +11(+12 with traps) | Stealth +19 | Bluff +11 | Sense Motive +3 | Diplomacy +8 | Spellcraft +8
active effects:

That's obvious. A chance to make money.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Needs a better hook. Some religious icon.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

So trying to spread a rumor about treasure in a certain location so we can spring a trap sounds good. Perhaps we could use our new killer plants out front to help. Plus some Boggards for distractions. Also, Would Nahia or Cecelia be willing to try to seduce away Tasker?


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

@Cecelia

God of Merchants:

Abadar (pronounced AH-bah-dar), the god of cities, law, merchants, and wealth, is known to be a patient deity. Maintaining a strong neutral stance in his actions, he sets forth to expand civilization and order among the peoples of Golarion.

Abadar and his followers wish to bring the light of civilization to the wilderness, to help educate all in the benefits of law and properly regulated commerce. He expects his followers to obey all meaningful laws, but not those which are ridiculous, unenforceable, or self-contradictory. He is also a great proponent of peace, as war inevitably leads to the degradation of trade and the stifling of prosperity for the general public. He advocates cautious, careful consideration in all matters, and frowns on impulsiveness, believing that it leads to the encouragement of primitive needs. Abadar discourages dependence on government or any religious institution, believing that wealth and happiness should be achievable by anyone with keen judgement, discipline, and a healthy respect for all sensible, just laws.

The clergy of Abadar is primarily composed of clerics, but inquisitors and occasionally paladins are called into his service as well. Clerics and paladins of Abadar are granted special favor with the preparation of the spell word of recall, provided it is used to return them to the designated sanctuary of the temple of their home city.

Knights of Abadar fight against corruption and anarchy. They understand both the letter and spirit of the law. They often serve as judges in places where the application of law is starting to dissolve.

Clerical orders include Taxmasters, Justiciars, and the Balanced Scales, primarily based in Katapesh. Taxmasters are primarily inquisitors and include both the less intimidating, desk-bound investigators and the enforcers in the field, which may be charged to mete out justice directly.Justiciars are a prestigious order of devout clergy, dedicated to spreading their deity's ideals of civilization and order, at the point of a crossbow bolt, if necessary. Balanced Scales of Katapesh fill a unique role searching out hidden, misplaced or ill-gotten wealth for the benefit of the church and in return gain access to the First Vault

The clergy structure their orders like mercantile houses, with Bankers and Archbankers responsible for territories of increasing size with each church counting each coin in its vault as a blessing unto itself.

The priesthood sees their role as responsible for encouraging civilization, trade, and law by promoting co-operation and fairness and by providing loans and other banking services. They encourage thrift and neighborly behavior as a means to enhance each individual's self-interest. Their own service to the community may include pro-bono legal services but they do not donate healing services—except those that help overall community and public health.

Knowledge of the law and community news are important areas of concern and part of the daily routine to the priesthood. Younger members are expected to carry news and administer justice, typically carrying a golden bolt to compensate the family of any criminal executed.

The clergy never give money, regardless of the need, but will instead loan the required funds at a reasonable rate, recording the details in the books and records of the church. Conversely they themselves are expected to tithe to the church and often ensure the funds are available to tithe from income generated by their direct investments in the local community.

Most Abadaran priests attired for formal services dress in robes of white silk trimmed with golden thread with a belt or necklace of gold holding a single, golden key. They also often wear half-cloaks of deep yellow or golden color.

==//==

That you know from your years of study, and you don’t know of any temple of Abadar on Talingard, which makes you think this group of adventures is an outsider group, from the mainland.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

Cecelia paces back and forth, deep in thought, pausing only to glower at Mysty for her sarcastic remark. Finally, she speaks.

"God of merchants would most likely refer to Abadar. Items of religious significance might be old tomes on law or economics...or perhaps some kind of golden scale. However, there aren't exactly any centers of worship for Abadar here on Talingarde, so it might be a tough sell to convince him that such an item somehow wound up here."

Cecelia thinks for a moment. "Of course, this also means that we are likely dealing with outsiders. That gives us two useful pieces of information. First, they will likely not receive a lot of outside help, particularly from the Mitrans. I think we all know that Mitrans dislike outside religion. Beyond that, the fact that Abadar and Mitra have fundamentally different beliefs about the relationship between religion and government means that I doubt there is any love lost between the two churches." Pausing briefly to let the others process, she moves onto her next point, "Second, if they are foreigners, this reveals a lot about their motives. Given what the Ninth has told us, this doesn't sound like a quest that is being undertaken out of the goodness of their collective hearts. This is not their hometown, so they wouldn't be worried about defending their friends and family. As for the priest, nothing in his faith would require him to undertake this kind of quest. Even if there was, he is not the party's leader. That really only leaves one likely scenario. This is a mission for profit. This means that Mysty may have actually have point. Straight treasure will probably be their greatest weakness. A relic of Abadar may motivate the dwarf, but he is not the leader and could easily be out voted. I suspect a good old fashioned pile of treasure will motivate them all."

-Posted with Wayfinder


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

So perhaps a rumor that the boggards were very sucessful on a raid and then we can lure them in. Perhaps put it beyond the mud pit where the mud men lurk.

Grand Lodge

Female Halfling Rogue 4/Sorcerer3 (efreeti bloodline) | HP 7/37 AC 22 | T 17 | FF 17 | CMB +4 | CMD 20 | FORT +3 | REF +11 | WILL +4 | INIT +5 | Perception +11(+12 with traps) | Stealth +19 | Bluff +11 | Sense Motive +3 | Diplomacy +8 | Spellcraft +8
active effects:

treasure is always a good reason. And we can lure them with it. The greedy will take risks beyond all reason, sometimes.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Good. Then we can get some flashy but cheap trinkets. SO, that and luring Tasker with a pretty face might just whittle them down.

Grand Lodge

Female Halfling Rogue 4/Sorcerer3 (efreeti bloodline) | HP 7/37 AC 22 | T 17 | FF 17 | CMB +4 | CMD 20 | FORT +3 | REF +11 | WILL +4 | INIT +5 | Perception +11(+12 with traps) | Stealth +19 | Bluff +11 | Sense Motive +3 | Diplomacy +8 | Spellcraft +8
active effects:

good plan. So what do you think? Gems, flashy jewelry, coin? All three?


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Some copper with a covering of gold and perhaps 'parade' armor and weapons. Looks high quality but pretty much for show.

Grand Lodge

Female Halfling Rogue 4/Sorcerer3 (efreeti bloodline) | HP 7/37 AC 22 | T 17 | FF 17 | CMB +4 | CMD 20 | FORT +3 | REF +11 | WILL +4 | INIT +5 | Perception +11(+12 with traps) | Stealth +19 | Bluff +11 | Sense Motive +3 | Diplomacy +8 | Spellcraft +8
active effects:

Mysty taps her chin in thought. yes, that should work. In a nice chest, adventurers like a chest.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Some of the boggards to lure them in. Perhaps some undead to make sure it doesn't seem to easy. I believe we also have the Slurks and Tazelwyrm down there as well.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

Cecelia listens and contemplates. "A big chest sounds like a good idea. I mean, really does there even need to be anything inside of it? Just fill their heads with rumors of prosperity...and let them find nothing but emptiness at the core. An appropriate welcome to our fair nation, is it not?"


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

Ha. Disappointment at the end of the quest. What was that saying 'Hope is just the first step on the long road to disappointment.' I'll get some cheap stuff to toss in as a consolation prize. Hound will do so.

Grand Lodge

Female Halfling Rogue 4/Sorcerer3 (efreeti bloodline) | HP 7/37 AC 22 | T 17 | FF 17 | CMB +4 | CMD 20 | FORT +3 | REF +11 | WILL +4 | INIT +5 | Perception +11(+12 with traps) | Stealth +19 | Bluff +11 | Sense Motive +3 | Diplomacy +8 | Spellcraft +8
active effects:

how about just some firewood. It's useful, afterall.
Mysty descends into giggles at he thought of it. Then she sobers up.
so we could trap the chest, and guard it with undead. They're expendable any way. Then we attack. We need a good spot.


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

There is the chest across the mud pool. The pool is inhabited by Mudmen and there is a glyph on the chest to summon an elemental fo wind. It can dump them back into the mud. The boggards can then hurl javelins at anyone in the pool.


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

"Yes...that sounds effective. However, I think the plan should eventually involve direct intervention on our part. If they are experienced adventurers, they will likely be more than the boggards can handle. Perhaps once they are inside we can move in behind them. Seal them in." Contemplating, she adds, "Of course all of this is a moot point if we can't get the idea into their heads that there in treasure in the caverns. The Seventh said they were coming through the third floor, correct?"


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

A definate possibility. We can certainly move down to the caverns to ambush them. We'll keep our guards on alert on the third floor as well. Hopefully all the money we have sunk into chokepoints and traps will finally pay off.


Human Hero Killer1 / Holy Assassin1 / Deceiver2

Finally was able to get a bit of free time at work to get things moving again!

Nahia steps up to the party and points out something they seems to be missing. ”We’d better hurry if we want to catch them still on the city. Elise’s not didn’t place any time marks, but it seems to me that if we don’t hurry, we might miss them at the city, or worse, be out of the horn when they arrive.”

==//==

So, how are we doing this? Ambushing them at the city? At the forest? Waiting at the horn?


M Human Male Human Barbarian 7 |HP97/97 (109/109 when raging) | Bust 40B|AC:18(17) | T:12(11) | FF:18(17) | CMD:20 | Fort:+10 | Ref:+5/7 | Will:+5 | Init:+2 | Per:+12 | Acrobatics:+9 | Climb:+10 | Stealth:+6 | Ride:+9]

We'll have home ground advantage at the Horn and we are planning to trap them in the mud room any way with treasure. If they do come in the third floor, we'll use the guards to harry them while we move in.

Grand Lodge

Female Halfling Rogue 4/Sorcerer3 (efreeti bloodline) | HP 7/37 AC 22 | T 17 | FF 17 | CMB +4 | CMD 20 | FORT +3 | REF +11 | WILL +4 | INIT +5 | Perception +11(+12 with traps) | Stealth +19 | Bluff +11 | Sense Motive +3 | Diplomacy +8 | Spellcraft +8
active effects:

agreed. Let's head back to the horn


Female Human Oracle 7| HP 37/58 | AC 22 | T11 | FF 21| CMD 20 | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs emotion) | Init +1 | Per +6 | SM +6 | Bluff +13 | Dipl +15 | Intim +5 | Channel (4d6) 4/6; Quicken Cure 0/1 | Spells: 1st 7/8; 2nd 5/7; 3rd 3/5
Active Effects:

"Can we not send some of your followers into town?" Cecelia asks, "Surely they could spread rumors of treasure being moved into the lower caverns...perhaps due to a successful boggard raid? Of course, we would still need to be prepared for them not taking the bait. We would do well to secure all our entrances and then position ourselves where we can spot them and react the quickest."

2,251 to 2,300 of 2,465 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Call Forth Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.