Beyond the Tentacled Eye - A Pathfinder Greyhawk Tharizdun Campaign

Game Master GM Darkblade

A View of Hommlet from the Southern Approach
Player's Map of Hommlet Proper
Townsfolk Images
Zert's Map
Menu of the Inn of the Welcome Wench


1,901 to 1,950 of 2,765 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>

Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Zokama will try to unlock the box after Fin determines whether it is safe to do so, magic-wise.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

I am unable to read the writing as I haven't prepared that spell, it is likely some form of trap. I would take caution, Zokama.

spell craft to determine school of magic: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32

He will reveal whatever he determines with the detect Magic, but he doesn't have Read Magic memorized today.


The marking leaks energies of a Home Rune Divine nature, bordering on the edge of faint to moderate power, something Fil has had little experience with thus far.


Zokama's roll was enough to unlock the padlock, which can be removed. The marking is on the box itself.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Okay, Zokama will remove the padlock, but not attempt to open the box yet.

If nothing happens after she removes the padlock, she'll suggest that everyone stand back at least 30 feet, and cast Open on the box from a distance. (She waits for agreement and compliance first, willing to listen to other ideas.)


Human Male Cleric 4; HP 39/31; AC 21/ T 10/ FF 20; Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +8; Init +1; Per +4; CMB +5, CMD 16; Spd 20 ft Channel Energy 7/day, DC 14, (2d6 + 4 to undead); Fire Bolt 6/day, 1d6 +2, 30 ft range

Navith examines the symbol Musami shows him.

Kn. Religion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

He is hesitant to offer advice regarding the box, but he does think Zokama is taking suitable precautions.


Navith cannot discern the etched design on the box Braggi asked him to identify. Like Fil he would need some form of magical assistance to delve into the meaning of the strange marking.


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

Fil shuffles everyone back about 40 feet due to his parents, and prepares to cast scorching ray if anything horrible jumps out of the box.


Fil's suggestion would put everyone backed into the NE corner of the room.


Is someone going to trigger the rune?


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

I believe the open spell would do so.


Zokama casts open on the iron box, causing it to explode in a loud and thunderous blast, shattering the chest, collapsing the bed, and shredding the blankets underneath.

While the roar of the sonic blast echoes in fading shades down the hallways, you spy the remains of small glass vials, ripped and wet paper, and bits of wood atop a small glint of gold.


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

well, they know we are here now.

Fil goes to inspect the remains. I didn't hope we didn't miss anything important in here


There appears to be two broken potion bottles, a shredded and potion soaked scroll, several broken tinder twigs and, surviving the blast, a gold plated dagger in a matching sheath, curved with a series of wicked hooks backing a serrated edge.

Linguistics check to decipher the scroll's purpose.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"Aw, man, I hope those weren't useful potions, like healing or something."

While some of his companions try to decipher the scroll, Braggi pays attention that no visits come seeking for the source of the bang.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


Human Male Cleric 4; HP 39/31; AC 21/ T 10/ FF 20; Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +8; Init +1; Per +4; CMB +5, CMD 16; Spd 20 ft Channel Energy 7/day, DC 14, (2d6 + 4 to undead); Fire Bolt 6/day, 1d6 +2, 30 ft range

"Ah. I believe that, as they say, settles that." Navith says drily. He nods to himself.
"Yes, whoever still dwells here know... something is happening here..."


While standing and staring at one another, a moment passes, then two, stretching into nearly a minute of silence. Then, from up the northern passage a loud metallic clang sounds, banging down with force. Perception Check DC 23 to identify.

A few seconds later, as the sound fades, a soft howl can be heard calling, again from the north. An answering howl comes from the west.

Nothing has sounded from the three doors along the southern wall.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"What the...

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Braggi:
The clanging sound reminds you of the dropping of the great gates of Krakenheim, huge iron portcullises that would drop before the exit tunnels of the Eisenklinge Kreis, the king's battle arena.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"Shyte, I think we're trapped. That sounded like closing the doors."


Human Male Cleric 4; HP 39/31; AC 21/ T 10/ FF 20; Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +8; Init +1; Per +4; CMB +5, CMD 16; Spd 20 ft Channel Energy 7/day, DC 14, (2d6 + 4 to undead); Fire Bolt 6/day, 1d6 +2, 30 ft range

Navith nods. He talks as he shrugs out of his pack, opens it and begins to take stock of his equipment.

Caltrops.

"We should repair to an easily defensible location with few exits."

A bullseye lantern.

"We will be assailed in force, and should meet that force with our own."

Silk rope.

"Zokama, what else have we that could aid us now?"


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

"Agreed. Let us prepare for this. If the first person through is a human, though, please allow me to cast a spell on them. I will try to charm them to prevent further violence, perhaps convince them we are cultists."

Fil has prepared Charm Person today, and, if he can use it, then we might be able to bluff our way into their lair as planned, even if they have the alarms raised.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"Okay..."

Braggi looks actively for a place to hide and sneak attack anyone who comes that way the very moment they show their face.

"Human spare, other kill. Human spare, other kill..." he keeps repeating while lifting his big blade.


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

Fil readies an action to cast charm person on the first human through the door and hope the livery helps them.


A minute passes as the two passageways remain fairly quiet. The doors are still and straight, whatever hidden behind them a mystery.

Perception check would be required to know more about a particular passage or portal.


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

Fil will listen at each of the doorways
Perception doorway 1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Perception doorway 2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


There are three unchecked doors on the southern wall, a northern passageway you came from (which had the clanging and the first howl), and a western passageway you have not explored (which had the answering howl).

Assuming you checked the first two southern doors, from east to middle, west unchecked.

From the easternmost door you hear almost nothing, a slight moving of air, a soft touch of a breeze perhaps. You do smell faintly a dampness, mold, and a whiff of fish rotting on the docks.

From the middle door you hear absolutely nothing, only the sound of your own heart beating in your ears, vibrating the wooden door.


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"They are gathering" Braggi whispers, strengthening the grip on his sword. "It's been a pleasure, friends, in case we don't see again each other."


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

Fil finally cyecksbtye Western passage.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

"We aren't dead yet, Braggi. Have some faith.". Fil grins as he tugs at the evil eye cloak he is wearing.

I hope we make it out. This could be very bad. Fil thinks to himself as he is trying to alleviate the tension of the situation.


Fil listens closely at the edge of the corner down the western passage. Silence greets him. Peering around the corner his bow sheds light along a corridor 15' long which opens into a larger chamber. It appears at least 20' deep, the far wall covered in dusty shelves and dirty draperies, the walls extending beyond sight north and south. It looks in the shadows as though the northern reach may open up deeper still.


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch
Navith wrote:
Zokama, what else have we that could aid us now?

I suppose that depends on what you think will help. I have potions of Bull's Strength, Magic Weapon, and Enlarge Person here. Would those be of use? We also have disguises, so we might be able to talk ourselves out of something, or get around the possible barriers through one of these passages, or one that we saw earlier. I imagine moving away from the place the commotion was made might help.

Fil, do any of those passages look better than another?


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

I smell fish to the east. That seems odd, unless there is an underground stream here. To the middle door there, I believe there is nothing, or the restless dead, and that Northern passage may be our best to find our cultists or the one who locked us here, unless we want to look into the possible stream.

He looks to the others. What say you?


CG Human Barbarian 5 | Status:
Stats:
AC 18(16) (T 12, FF 15) | CMB +8(+10), CMD 19(21) | Init +1 | Speed 30ft | F +7(+10), R +3, W +4(+6) | Perc +10, SM +2
HP 55 (70) | Damage 0 | Rage 14/14

"Let's go North and giv'em Hell" Braggi smiles.


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

Fil indicates the western entrance and to turn north. He casts light on Braggi's Axe.

are we ready?


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Zokama nods and moves forward, scanning for traps.

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30


Human Male Cleric 4; HP 39/31; AC 21/ T 10/ FF 20; Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +8; Init +1; Per +4; CMB +5, CMD 16; Spd 20 ft Channel Energy 7/day, DC 14, (2d6 + 4 to undead); Fire Bolt 6/day, 1d6 +2, 30 ft range

Navith nods also. He looks at Braggi and Musami, the nominal frontliners.

"Let us get a little closer, but yes Zokama - all three of those potions would suffice."


To be certain, you are moving back to the north, the way you came, to assault the potential source of the dropped portcullis. Correct?


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

I thought it was a new portal exit...but confirming that the portcullis has been dropped would be handy, so yes. At worst, we come back and go to the deadly silent one, provided everyone agrees there.


Musami Forgeborn Male Dwarf Fighter (Foehammer) (5) HP 54/54 | AC:24 | T:12 | FF:23 CMB: +9 (+2 Sunder, Trip, Bullrush, Overrun)| CMD:21 (25 Vs Bullrush & Trip) | Fort:+7 | Ref:+2 | Will:+2 (+2 vs. poison, spells, and spell-like abilities, +1 vs fear) | Init:+1 | Perc: +3 | Speed 20') | Speed 20ft | Active Condition: -24NL Damage, Shaken

With a slight grunt Musami joins Fil in moving toward the sounds of teh dropping object. Is that the portcullis?


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

I didn't know it was back the way we came either. Sorry. Hard to tell. Should have saved those nice rolls for something else. :(

Zokama gives the potions to Navith.


As you move towards the northern passage to return the way you came, Navith and Zokama discussing potions as they move. Braggi and Filnefillan catch the sound of weapons being drawn ahead, just as a group of gnolls turns the corner, their angry eyes staring out at your group and it's lights. Manlings, dinner? the largest and ugliest of them snarls in crude tradespeak. He then squints down the length of the passage at you, waving at his companions. He jerks his head back then cocks it to the side, growling out the words, very loudly, Bree-yark kah. The gnolls with him snarl and sniff at the air, growling a bit themselves. He seems waiting for a reply.

Does anyone speak Goblin or Gnoll?:

Hey rube, how much?

Perception Rolls:

Braggi: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Filnefillan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Musami: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Navith: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Zokama: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

Initiative Rolls:

Braggi: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Filnefillan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Musami: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Navith: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Zokama: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Gnoll A: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
Gnoll B: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
Gnoll C: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Gnoll D: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
Gnoll E: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Gnoll F: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Gnoll G: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

For when combat begins, no surprise round for either party, unless your band successfully talks it's way past the initial stages.

Initiative Order:

Initiative Order
First Group Acts
First Group: Navith, Gnolls A, B, D and G
Second Group: Braggi, Gnoll E
Third Group: Filnefillan, Musami, Zokama, Gnolls C and F

Odd Room Battle


Male High Elf Wizard 4 HP: 23 AC: 13. Mage Armor 17

Fil speaks a bit of Goblin.

Fil becomes arrogant in demeanor, speaking goblin to the gnolls.

Yark?! ti'll het kahl know not just ended ae th'rakat tam sep moathouse. Ear tam ak kahl des

Translates as:. "Rube? i'll have you know we just ended a threat to the moathouse. Go check it out. Eat 'em if you want."

bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


The gnolls growl and yip among themselves before the larger uglier one snaps at one of the smaller guards. He growls out something in gnoll, Ghulle gree gnie waghwoord gnie. Greh'et ghulle wat rek herr.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

If you speak Gnoll:
They did not give password, I say we eat them.

The gnoll closes a bit, as you realize there are other gnolls further up the passageway with them.

Oro tavana kuti Bree-yark.

If you speak Gobliln:
One more time rube, how much?

Odd Room Battle


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Human Male Cleric 4; HP 39/31; AC 21/ T 10/ FF 20; Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +8; Init +1; Per +4; CMB +5, CMD 16; Spd 20 ft Channel Energy 7/day, DC 14, (2d6 + 4 to undead); Fire Bolt 6/day, 1d6 +2, 30 ft range

@Zokama, I think their roll of Sense Motive of 19 beat Fil's Bluff of 17. If any of us had Aided Another it might have been different. I now note that Navith has two languages he never chose with an Int of 14 (is that right?) but I didn't feel like nominating one as goblin or gnoll on the fly. Even though I love gnolls. I'll choose the languages after this battle....unless anyone knows a language randomiser...


Human Male Cleric 4; HP 39/31; AC 21/ T 10/ FF 20; Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +8; Init +1; Per +4; CMB +5, CMD 16; Spd 20 ft Channel Energy 7/day, DC 14, (2d6 + 4 to undead); Fire Bolt 6/day, 1d6 +2, 30 ft range

Unsure of which way the conversation goes, Navith attempts to look appropriately forbidding. By all accounts failing miserably.

Disguise: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 [plus any modifiers for flame-eyed cloak etc...]


Loot Sheet Female Human (Flan) Detective Bard 5 | HP 28/28 | CMB +6 / CMD +18 | AC 17 / T 12 / FF 15 | Fort +2 / Ref +6 / Will +6 | Initiative +2 | Bardic Performances 15/15 | Action Points 3/3 | Perception +12/+14 to detect traps | Active Effects: Ioun Torch

Oh yeah, my mistake. Must have been brain dead after work and I didn't read well enough. I thought that Sense Motive roll was a prompting for us to all roll. Sorry. ... Sad waste of another good roll. Watch, next time I attack I'll roll a 2 or something.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@Navith, Let's flip a coin, 1 = Gnoll chosen as a language, 2 = A Different Language must be selected.

Coin Flip: 1d2 ⇒ 1

Well the dice roller has spoken, Navith knows Gnoll...


Human Male Cleric 4; HP 39/31; AC 21/ T 10/ FF 20; Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +8; Init +1; Per +4; CMB +5, CMD 16; Spd 20 ft Channel Energy 7/day, DC 14, (2d6 + 4 to undead); Fire Bolt 6/day, 1d6 +2, 30 ft range

Ok, I'll retcon my action...

Navith hears and understands the gnoll speech, and puffing himself up visibly barks back.

"Vigha gha waghwoord glaraâd! Brèk Lareth grukna "unknaä"."

Gnoll:
You fools password changed. Lareth says it now "manbat"."

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 ...Ehrmagherd....


Gnoll Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Grinning widely, showing jagged canines and a pierced tongue, the ugly gnoll barks out in Common, Dinner Boys!!!

Initiative Order
First Group Acts
First Group: Navith, Gnolls A, B, D and G
Second Group: Braggi, Gnoll E
Third Group: Filnefillan, Musami, Zokama, Gnolls C and F

Odd Room Battle

Gnoll A is armed with a spear.
Gnoll B is armed with a battleaxe and shield.
Gnoll C is armed with a bow.
Gnoll D is armed with a bow.
Gnoll E is armed with a massive great club. This is the bigger, uglier one.
Gnoll F is armed with a wicked greataxe.
Gnoll G is not visible to you yet.

1,901 to 1,950 of 2,765 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Beyond the Tentacled Eye Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.