Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
About Paizo Messageboards News Paizo Blog Help/FAQ
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Bow stuffs~


Starfinder General Discussion


Howdy Howdy....

So question!
As far as I can tell, there are no levels to bow , nor to arrows correct? (Just the Explosive grenade arrows and their levels).

So basically.. other than say deadly aim. There is no other way to increase that damage?
Or could one get weapon specialization as well? (I suppose you'd need to get feat for proficiency. Then specialization? (and likely focus)_

I was thinking I missed something, either a higher level tech bow. Or a myriad of different arrows that allowed it to improve a bit over time.

Mostly just looks amusing as hell to me. but might not really be worth the feat to play with it

Granted it sure is easier to use than crossbolter (Well the long arm one isn't too bad to do). Granted the higher level heavy weapon ones do a lot more damage. Even if you can reload the bow far easier (which would be fun for carpet bombing)


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Homebrew a bow that shoots lasers.


The bow struck me as an item for those from more primitive worlds to start with, or else showing an example of what kind of things Special weapons can have. But who knows, maybe in the future we'll get laser bows.


The word "cyberbow" appears exactly once in the core book. Make of that what you will.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think their called bowcasters...
hhhrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeerrrrrrr

(its a wookie roar^^)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There are options for grenade arrows to up the damage, but the cost makes them 'for a rainy day' option as opposed to an every attack one.

Crossbolters can also take them while doing scaling damage.

at the very least it looks like they have more options than the carbonedge shuriken at least.


Vidmaster7 wrote:

I think their called bowcasters...

hhhrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeerrrrrrr

(its a wookie roar^^)

Already have a crossbolter that you could make int oa bowcaster with the enchantment thingies I think.

It'd be neat to have a bow user. but just looks difficult haha.

Still might carry one in that item belt along with explosive arrows for a rainy day occasion..

After all with a full attack action, could shoot two gren arrows and all
crazy costy but also rather helpful.

more so if my GM would let me craft them from normal grenades and normal arrows. With the idea that the prices are so high because....
no one uses them so there is almost no demand


3 people marked this as a favorite.

My homebrew is that bows will count as small arms for the purposes of operative attacks and Weapon Specialization.

Why? Since the level 1 bow has twice the range of the level 1 pistol, it makes Special Weapon Proficiency (Bows) roughly on par with the Far Shot feat. The Far Shot feat applies to all weapons, true, but the Bow can load load grenades so I think they're roughly on the same page. If you required a separate Weapon Specialization, then someone who wants to use a bow is at a significant feat sink for very little payoff.

As for higher-level bows, you can follow the "Projectile Small Arms Track" and double the range. I would also give bows the Analog special trait.

The level 1 Bow the same damage as the tactical semi-auto pistol, twice the range, quick reload, costs almost the same (5 credits less), and requires a special feat to use.

Here would be the progression:

Tactical Bow: Level 1, 260 credits, 1d6 P, 60 ft, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Advanced Bow: Level 7, 5500 credits, 2d6 P, 120 ft, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Elite Bow: Level 10, 18200 credits, 3d6 P, 120 ft, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Paragon Bow: Level 13, 45200 credits, 4d6 P, 120 ft, 1 Capacity, USage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Tactical Gybrobow: Level 15, 91500 credits, 3d12 P, 160 ft, Knockdown Critical, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Advanced Gybrobow: Level 17, 212700 credits, 4d12 P, 160 ft, Knockdown Critical, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Tactical Gybrobow: Level 20, 715800 credits, 5d12 P, 160 ft, Knockdown Critical, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

I think Hanzo from Overwatch and Hawkeye from the Avengers have proven bows are popular for sci-fi settings. A bow's advantages should be its silence and choice of payload, but it should require special training.

I think these homebrew rules follow that pretty closely.


The two handed nature of them would have made me put them more on par with longarms than small arms.


Ikiry0 wrote:
The two handed nature of them would have made me put them more on par with longarms than small arms.

That's a fair point. I chose small-arms because the bow in the book was most similar to a projectile small arm in terms of damage and range (just range x2).

Also, if you make it count as a small-arm, the operative becomes pretty good at the bow if they select it. I think the bow fits nicely with the operative class: stealthy, skilled, etc. Making it a longarm conflicts with many of the operative class features.

You could make an argument its could count as a sniper weapon too (requires more careful aim, capable of greater distance). That'd be good for operatives as well. A sniper weapon with quick reload instead of unwieldy would be pretty scary.

You could also just have two tracks for bows: Shortbows track small arms and Longbows track sniper weapons. Or three: hand-crossbows that track small arms, shortbows/crossbows that track longarms, and longbows/heavy crossbows that track sniper weapons.

I think my homebrew accomplishes one thing: making Special Weapon Proficiency (Bows) about as powerful a feat as Far Shot.

Far Shot's advantage is that it applies to all weapons. You can pick up any weapon and make use of it. Special Weapon Proficiency (Bows) advantage is the grenade payload, and slightly better accuracy at range than small arms, but you need to be using a bow.


I might still sink a feat into the bow eventually on my mechanic.
just for the fun of bombarding time.


I'm tempted to homebrew up some special bows myself. My thoughts being 'Non-unwieldy weapons with snipe', so you can rapid fire them OR make a long distance shot.


RiverOtter87 wrote:

My homebrew is that bows will count as small arms for the purposes of operative attacks and Weapon Specialization.

Why? Since the level 1 bow has twice the range of the level 1 pistol, it makes Special Weapon Proficiency (Bows) roughly on par with the Far Shot feat. The Far Shot feat applies to all weapons, true, but the Bow can load load grenades so I think they're roughly on the same page. If you required a separate Weapon Specialization, then someone who wants to use a bow is at a significant feat sink for very little payoff.

As for higher-level bows, you can follow the "Projectile Small Arms Track" and double the range. I would also give bows the Analog special trait.

The level 1 Bow the same damage as the tactical semi-auto pistol, twice the range, quick reload, costs almost the same (5 credits less), and requires a special feat to use.

Here would be the progression:

Tactical Bow: Level 1, 260 credits, 1d6 P, 60 ft, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Advanced Bow: Level 7, 5500 credits, 2d6 P, 120 ft, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Elite Bow: Level 10, 18200 credits, 3d6 P, 120 ft, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Paragon Bow: Level 13, 45200 credits, 4d6 P, 120 ft, 1 Capacity, USage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Tactical Gybrobow: Level 15, 91500 credits, 3d12 P, 160 ft, Knockdown Critical, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Advanced Gybrobow: Level 17, 212700 credits, 4d12 P, 160 ft, Knockdown Critical, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

Tactical Gybrobow: Level 20, 715800 credits, 5d12 P, 160 ft, Knockdown Critical, 1 Capacity, Usage 1, Bulk L, Quick reload

I think Hanzo from Overwatch and Hawkeye from the Avengers have proven bows are popular for sci-fi settings. A bow's advantages should be its silence and choice of payload, but it should require special training.

I think these homebrew rules follow that pretty closely.

^

Looks pretty good on the first glance
I am homebrewing some weapons myself and are planning on sharing them here too - mind if I put your bows in?


https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Li3YE3kpxSgWzYbez4iA1nFz5qNmTlD8q9z mX6Bz6kA/edit?usp=sharing

My own Homebrew on the topic. My design space idea for them was more or less 'Battle Rifles'. Falling somewhere between sniper rifles and regular longarms. Since they take weapon prof for absolutely everyone to buy into them, I figured they should be worth the feat.

The Infusers/Multifusers are tied to my general issue with the current grenade rules (WAY too expensive for a single shot weapon). Locking them behind a level-equivalent bow seemed a way to not make everyone ever have them by the barrel.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Inkfist wrote:

There are options for grenade arrows to up the damage, but the cost makes them 'for a rainy day' option as opposed to an every attack one.

Crossbolters can also take them while doing scaling damage.

It's a trap!

No, really it is. Partly because grenade arrows are even more stupidly expensive, and bought in lots of 1.

But mostly because it isn't clear how it works. All the additional crossbolters have a multiple usage tag. (The dual using 2 of 4 arrows per shot, the advanced using 4 of 12, and the elite using 6 of 30). So presumably you need that many grenade arrows to fire, but it isn't clear if they explode as multiple grenades or not.

The rules for grenade arrows are completely silent on the matter. And presumably they wouldn't do arrow damage in addition to the explosion.


Voss wrote:
Inkfist wrote:

There are options for grenade arrows to up the damage, but the cost makes them 'for a rainy day' option as opposed to an every attack one.

Crossbolters can also take them while doing scaling damage.

It's a trap!

No, really it is. Partly because grenade arrows are even more stupidly expensive, and bought in lots of 1.

But mostly because it isn't clear how it works. All the additional crossbolters have a multiple usage tag. (The dual using 2 of 4 arrows per shot, the advanced using 4 of 12, and the elite using 6 of 30). So presumably you need that many grenade arrows to fire, but it isn't clear if they explode as multiple grenades or not.

The rules for grenade arrows are completely silent on the matter. And presumably they wouldn't do arrow damage in addition to the explosion.

Yeah... a grenade arrow is like 10 times more expensive than a grenade.


Hmm...interesting. Google drive links don't seem to work on the forum, I wonder why.

Let's try this then, see if it works. https://tinyurl.com/y9hy2xqo


Yeah.. which is why I'll see if I can craft it if I just have arrows and grenades in home games..

cause I legit.. don't know any reason they'd be so expensive. Except for the fact that I assume almost no one really uses them. So it just isn't cost effective and its close to custom order costs.

Yeah I'm sure they aren't literally "stick an arrow through the grenade" sorta deal. But it would just be processing hte parts together I imagine.
Or getting hollow arrows and filling them with explosives or something..

besides somewhere it says "all explosives are priced as per grenades" so if I wantd to just buy explosives to astick on arrows would be the same price as arrows..

So really.. it has to be the processing creation costs that make it so huge


Seisho wrote:


Looks pretty good on the first glance
I am homebrewing some weapons myself and are planning on sharing them here too - mind if I put your bows in?

Sure!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Ikiry0 wrote:

Hmm...interesting. Google drive links don't seem to work on the forum, I wonder why.

Let's try this then, see if it works. https://tinyurl.com/y9hy2xqo

Paizo's forums do not autolink, you need to format as per the below (in the How to format your text box at the bottom)

Go to <url=http://paizo.com>Paizo Inc.</url>. except [] not <>

Linkied


Thanks, I'll remember that.


Fantastic. Works great with my hunter/assassin cult. If two handed swords can come back into use why not other archaic weapons. Now I have an idea for a taser bolas.... that is fired from a bow.

Liberty's Edge

Ikiry0 wrote:

Hmm...interesting. Google drive links don't seem to work on the forum, I wonder why.

Let's try this then, see if it works. https://tinyurl.com/y9hy2xqo

I might thief these ideas for a few npcs if you don't mind. :)


RiverOtter87 wrote:

That's a fair point. I chose small-arms because the bow in the book was most similar to a projectile small arm in terms of damage and range (just range x2).

Also, if you make it count as a small-arm, the operative becomes pretty good at the bow if they select it. I think the bow fits nicely with the operative class: stealthy, skilled, etc. Making it a longarm conflicts with many of the operative class features.

Just be careful with letting Operatives use trick attack damage or their improved full attack with anything that gets full Weapon Specialization bonus damage. That's one of the things they want most in the world, and it may be possible to balance it, but it would have to require substantial investment. Having different bows for small-arms, longarms and sniper weapons is fine, I'm just advising caution about the longarm bows.


I'd be surprised if in some future eqiupement book, they won't have level progession for the bow, or the arrows. Carbon fiber sorta thing, then nanotech bow sorta thing. Elemental single target arrows, arrows with supe sharp points from some tech thingy. etc.


Yeah, I firmly believe they'll probably have more bow options in the future. We just have to wait for it :(


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Maps, Pawns, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

TUROK TEK BOW!!!


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Regular / Adamantine / Zero-edge / molecular rift arrows?


How about, for the first time in D&D history, arrows that can be reused, even if you hit the target?


Eh. That really wouldn't be much of a benefit more so with how easy it is to craft stuff now. More so since you can just stock pile on the ship.
Which is far easier to "keep near" than town situations in the past.

I mean it would be a neat thing, and great for fusions (if fusions can actually be used on arrows in specific probably not) or materials.
but wouldn't make it any real more valued than other things considering how relatively easy it is.

Granted. I'm still making a mechanic with a bow cause.. I want to haha.
Though the acid dart rifle is just a cool idea.


If bows do get buffed I wouldn't expect recovereable ammo. I mean, crossbolters don't have that luxury, why should bows?


Mainly because the amount of force is significantly different between the two operations. Judging by the Dice.

The Bolters make me think more of small disposable pile bunker rather than a crossbow. Though with how many they fire they're more like the autocrossbow from FF I guess.. I'll always stick with the pile bunker buster instead though.

Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo / Starfinder® / Starfinder General Discussion / Bow stuffs~ All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.