Paizo to do comic books with Dynamite Entertainment!!!

Licensed Products General Discussion

1 to 50 of 67 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It seems like Golarion will soon be showing up in sequential art form.

Excitement

Read it here!!!!!

Sovereign Court

WOWZA! Very cool. Would love to see it. Hopefully the comic stores in my area will carry it, better yet my Local game store.

I want to subscribe now!

From the article:

Quote:
DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling comic book titles and properties, including The Boys, Green Hornet, Vampirella, Warlord of Mars, Bionic Man, Game of Thrones and more!

Oh man...so there could be a Bionic Man/Rise of the Runelords crossover? HOLY S&++!!

I want more details.

Jon Brazer Enterprises

I am really wondering if 2012 is going to be the year where Pathfinder is recognized by the world at large as being the game referenced to explain role playing. Between the beginner box, the minis, the MMO, the fiction and now the comic book, Pathfinder can be a serious juggernaut to be recognized by the mainstreamer. I wonder if this will be the year.

The first picture in that article looks like a Wayne Reynolds work.
Is this the cover of the comic, or maybe the cover of the Advanced Race Guide?

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

I saw this hinted on Bleeding Cool. Good to see it Official.

Ok, I want some of the short stories on the Wednesday fiction in comic book form now. :-)

Zen79 wrote:

The first picture in that article looks like a Wayne Reynolds work.

Is this the cover of the comic, or maybe the cover of the Advanced Race Guide?

The top cover is the Advanced Races Guide, the second is the Core Rules. I'm guessing it's just the artwork that Dynamite was using for their press release.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

I don't read comics normally, but I will likely pick these up. However, I hope they're original stories, and not comic versions of APs, free web fiction, etc. I prefer to read new stuff rather than stories I've already read in a different medium (I'll make an exception for a big budget live action movie though.)

Not my cup of tea but I'm very glad for everyone involved.

Also, where can we subscribe?

So...I hear there is going to be one. LINK

Very excited to see this...now the waiting begins. :)

Shadow Lodge

Sweet!

Dale McCoy Jr wrote:
I am really wondering if 2012 is going to be the year where Pathfinder is recognized by the world at large as being the game referenced to explain role playing. Between the beginner box, the minis, the MMO, the fiction and now the comic book, Pathfinder can be a serious juggernaut to be recognized by the mainstreamer. I wonder if this will be the year.

+ 1,000,000

By the way, search didn't turn up those other two threads: someone who had seen them had to point me to them. (Matthew Morris et al)

Here's a nicer LINK.

Paizo Employee Senior Software Developer

We've moved all the various Pathfinder comics threads and moved them to the licensed products forum.

Gary can collate now? Impressive!

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Gary can collate now? Impressive!

He can do custom avatars too, so don't provoke him.

If I thought provoking Gary would get me exclusive rights to the Green Faith avatar, I would provoke him at a frequency that would cause the world to hush in wonder and awe.

The Exchange

JoelF847 wrote:
I don't read comics normally, but I will likely pick these up. However, I hope they're original stories, and not comic versions of APs, free web fiction, etc. I prefer to read new stuff rather than stories I've already read in a different medium (I'll make an exception for a big budget live action movie though.)

I also don't read comics often and would buy these, but I think that comic versions of the APs would rock - if done a suitable time (3 yrs?) after the release of the AP.

Dark Archive

Ooh, an iconic Tengu! I like!

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
If I thought provoking Gary would get me exclusive rights to the Green Faith avatar, I would provoke him at a frequency that would cause the world to hush in wonder and awe.

Learn from the lesson of Sebastian. You'd probably end up with a Care Bear or one of the Totally Spies Girls or something...

Subscription details needed! :D

2 people marked this as a favorite.
brock wrote:
I also don't read comics often and would buy these, but I think that comic versions of the APs would rock - if done a suitable time (3 yrs?) after the release of the AP.

Adaptations of adventure modules always create a jarring experience for readers, in my opinion, particularly if you've played said adventure module, and players who read the adaptation often follow the same footsteps when they're playing it (even if they don't know it). This happened quite a few times with many of TSR's books when I was younger.

I would much prefer all-new content myself. Set in familiar regions, sure, but new content rather than rehashing material previously released.

Something that was never published and wasn't going to be, from Paizo staff home campaigns, like the plot of Shadows Under Sandpoint would be cool though.

Paizo and Dynamite Entertainment? OH HELL YES!

When is the release date?

Paizo Employee CEO

Brian E. Harris wrote:
Subscription details needed! :D

Brian, Brian, Brian, you know that we need to get our ducks in order. And, heck, the ducks haven't even hatched yet, much less shipped to us here in Seattle so the ordering can commence. Give us some time to find out exactly WHAT Dynamite will be doing with the Pathfinder comics, and THEN you'll probably see a subscription announcement. So hold your horses, my friend. :)

-Lisa

How many ducks need to get in order to get a Pathfinder/Bionic Man/Game of Thrones crossover spectacular?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Sky Wyrm wrote:

Paizo and Dynamite Entertainment? OH HELL YES!

When is the release date?

All that's announced so far is that the first release is scheduled for 2012.

I know that the ducks aren't ready yet, but to add to the list of questions that don't yet have answers:

1) will a potential subscription be availible on paizo.com, or only direct from Dynamite?
2) will digital versions of the comics be availible?

JoelF847 wrote:

I know that the ducks aren't ready yet, but to add to the list of questions that don't yet have answers:

1) will a potential subscription be availible on paizo.com, or only direct from Dynamite?
2) will digital versions of the comics be availible?

You're correct that we don't have answers to either of these questions at this time, but I will note that Dynamite does currently offer some of their comics digitally; I have no idea whether they'd want to do that with Pathfinder or not.

Dark Archive

Also is there any idea what is going to be in the comics? will it use the Iconics or be brand new characters or perhaps a mixture of both?

Kevin Mack wrote:
Also is there any idea what is going to be in the comics? will it use the Iconics or be brand new characters or perhaps a mixture of both?

You *might* get the answer to that question before specific products are announced... but I suspect that the product announcement will *probably* be where that question is first answered.

Dark Archive

Vic Wertz wrote:
Kevin Mack wrote:
You *might* get the answer to that question before specific products are announced... but I suspect that the product announcement will *probably* be where that question is first answered.

how soon till products are announced?

Dynamite did a great job with the dejah thoris mini series and warlord of mars was awesome. Not to mention red Sonja

Kevin Mack wrote:
how soon till products are announced?

I really don't know.

The Exchange

Wow, now I can't wait to read the story of how Cayden Cailean became a god, written by Garth Ennis Preacher-style xD

Shadow Lodge

Too bad it wasn't Top Cow. 13 very powerful major artifacts built into their setting already.

That reminds me. I want to make PFRPG major artifacts for at least the Witchblade, the Angelus, and the Darkness. Maybe some of the others as well.

That's pretty cool. I got the email announcing this right as I finished reading Project Superpowers!

Lisa Stevens wrote:

Brian, Brian, Brian, you know that we need to get our ducks in order. And, heck, the ducks haven't even hatched yet, much less shipped to us here in Seattle so the ordering can commence. Give us some time to find out exactly WHAT Dynamite will be doing with the Pathfinder comics, and THEN you'll probably see a subscription announcement. So hold your horses, my friend. :)

-Lisa

Curse you, Stevens! Your disorderly ducks have foiled me for the last time!

How many ducks are we talking here? The local farmer's market will have hatchlings come spring, and they sell for a song. I shall acquire NEW ducks, free from the congenital disorderliness that seems to afflict the ducks from your supplier, ripe for fresh programming, and send them to your doorstep!

IceniQueen wrote:
WOWZA! Very cool. Would love to see it. Hopefully the comic stores in my area will carry it, better yet my Local game store.

If you want to see it in a local stores there are a few things you should keep in mind:

Retailers order issues three months in advance, so let's say the first issue premieres in August (total hypothetical here I have no idea when the first issue would ship), the retailers has to have his order in to Diamond Distributors in May and can only slightly vary the order after that, so the retailer placing orders needs to know well in advance what possible demand will be.

If a retailer orders too many copies, he is stuck with them, they are non-returnable, so retailers tend to err on the side of caution.

Dynamite was the #6 publisher in Comics in Dec 2011, with 3.35% of the dollar share of books sold through Diamond in Dec, and 3.27% of the unit share of books sold. No Dynamite books cracked the top 100 of books sold. Books at the top of the Top 100 list move in the neighborhood of 100,000 units, those at the bottom of the top 100 are moving between 15-20,000 units. In comparison, Marvel and DC each hold about a third of the market share with the final third being split by every other comic publisher out there. Trades are measured separately, but again no Dynamite trade paperbacks cracked the top 100 of trades sold through Diamond.

Retailer strategy in these lean times seems to be buy only enough copies to cover pre-orders for books from small publishers with maybe 1-5 copies extra for sale to general public, but some do not get any extras. At the shop here in my hometown, the only Dynamite title he orders extra of is the adaptation of A Game of Thrones. He does not order any copies of the vast majority of the Dynamite line because they do not sell in his shop. He will however, order any of the titles for customers who pre-order before his order is due to Diamond three months before the release of the book.

The success or failure of most comics today is not in the hands of the customer, but in the hands of the retailers. They take all the risks buying the books hoping their customers will in turn buy the books from them, oftentimes ordering before the publishers have even started to promote the books. Retailers in many cases have to order blindly, and frankly the market for non DC/Marvel super-hero books is very thin (and even numbers on those books are far from good).

Bottom line, if you want to find the Pathfinder comic on the shelves of your local comic or game retailer, you need to let them know you will buy it by pre-ordering or asking if they will carry it well in advance of its release. Retailers love to sell you books you want, they just need to know you want them. When its a guessing game and a wrong guess can severely hurt their cash flow needed to stay in business, retailers will err on the side of caution even if it means losing the sale of a copy or two of a book.

With the advent of new delivery (digital) or alternate distribution (direct subscriptions) it becomes even harder for brick and mortar retailers to predict sales and therefore harder to service customers and stay alive. Letting your local retailer know what you want makes it a whole lot easier for him to serve you well. Of course if you let your local retailer know what you want and he still won't provide what you need, it might be time to find a different retailer ;)

Just so we're clear, I am not a comic retailer, but I do sell old comics on the local convention circuit occasionally and am friendly with a number of different retailers, and one of my best friends back east before I moved to the midwest was a comic retailer, so I am a bit sympathetic with their cause. However like most consumers I still want the products I want at the best price possible, so the onus is still on the retailer to provide that-I'm just saying that it is easier for them to do so if we the customers let them know what we want so they can.

I hope the Pathfinder comic does well, and I plan to check it out if the format, planned stories and creative teams pique my interest, but comics are a tough market for non mainstream super-hero products right now.
-M

MRP wrote:
Bottom line, if you want to find the Pathfinder comic on the shelves of your local comic or game retailer, you need to let them know you will buy it by pre-ordering or asking if they will carry it well in advance of its release.

Excellent advice. I would note, though, that while you should let your comics retailer know that you're interested as soon as you have the opportunity, he can't actually *do* anything with that info yet because products have not yet been solicited. Once we actually announce titles and release dates—and he can actually convert your interest into an order—you should remind your retailer.

MRP wrote:
...comics are a tough market for non mainstream super-hero products right now.

Which is one of the reasons we chose to partner with Dynamite: they don't need to have X-Men level sales to consider a title a success.

Grand Lodge

This is so cool! I'll start buying comics again for this! Dare they set Garth Ennis free in Golarion?

It would be sweet if they could sweet talk Warren Ellis and Leonardo Manco to team up again for this.

SM

Grand Lodge

I think if the writing is sound, characters are likeable, the narrative arcs are legible, and the art shows off the imagination of Golarion, there is no reason why this project won't explode in popularity.

The works of Gaiman, Willingham, Zelazny, Joe Madureira, Robert Howard Conan adaptions and more have been preparing the comic reading audience for fantastic fantasy for at least ten years. We've got mainstream publishers putting out series like Northlanders too!

With the critical mass of Game of Thrones popularity, Skyrim kids waiting for some actual swashbuckling, fantasy MMOs reaching huge audiences and the LOTR franchises invoking mainstreams love of the genre, there is absolutely no reason why this can't kick some serious ass. This could be HUGE.

Some dangers:
-Falling into the 1970s fantasy cliches. Females read comics and the blogosphere has made them very fast in targeting and panning cultural products that are unrealistic. Red Sonja is it's own series. Look at the internet response to new 52 Catwoman and Starfyre.

-Reliance on the single issue format. e-formats are good, but so many comic buyers wait for the full volume/bound book format. If Dynamite/Paizo can get a collection of 10 issues with an overreaching story arc in a beautiful bound hardcover, casual comics fans will flock to it.

-Neglecting e-publishing. Paizo is involved. I can't see this occurring.

-No humour. A Pathfinder comic MUST have humour. There are enough dour, humourless fantasy worlds around. This series must carve a niche of providing human, hilarious characters with ridiculous situations. Think every single double page spread scenario in the Pathfinder books.

Liberty's Edge

I would hope that, even with a comic format, stories included in these comics would feature interesting plots and stories about recurring positive characters who the audience can get to care about and identify with- not merely hack and slash superheroes repeatedly killing monsters. I think that this is the most important factor in the success of books, stories, plays, or shows. Do not underestimate the intelligence of the potential audience. All children are not fools.

1 to 50 of 67 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / General Discussion / Paizo to do comic books with Dynamite Entertainment!!! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.