Two versions of Shiled Companion


Rules Questions

The Concordance

Normally, the new version Spell will overcover the old version.

But There are two versions of Shiled Companion from APG and Animal Archive seems different, I'm not sure they are the same spell or not. AoN seems consider them as two different spells.

The Concordance

Shield Companion(ACG) and Shield Companion (AA)


Different spell level, different effect, the text doesn't look terribly similar; I agree with AoN.

Liberty's Edge

avr wrote:
Different spell level, different effect, the text doesn't look terribly similar; I agree with AoN.

Different level, yes.

But the effect and the text, if you replace "This spell functions as shield other but affects only the caster’s animal companion or familiar." with the actual text of Shield other adapted to animal companions, familiars et all, is very similar.

I would use the ACG version. More complete description and it has some very important updates, like removing "Components V, S, F (a pair of platinum rings worth 50 gp worn by both you and the target)" that the AA version has.
Very few animal companions have the fingers to wear rings.


Diego Rossi wrote:
avr wrote:
Different spell level, different effect, the text doesn't look terribly similar; I agree with AoN.

Different level, yes.

But the effect and the text, if you replace "This spell functions as shield other but affects only the caster’s animal companion or familiar." with the actual text of Shield other adapted to animal companions, familiars et all, is very similar.

I would use the ACG version. More complete description and it has some very important updates, like removing "Components V, S, F (a pair of platinum rings worth 50 gp worn by both you and the target)" that the AA version has.
Very few animal companions have the fingers to wear rings.

The material component is a bit of a problem at some tables, but it isn’t strictly a problem by raw. The platinum ring can be worn by your familiar/animal companion any number of ways, it doesn’t have to be on a finger. A ring slot is only required for a magic ring. The platinum ring for shield other is NOT a magic item, even when the spell is in effect it is still not a magic item. It simply acts as a conduit for the spell effect.

Also, the ACG version is strictly inferior to the AA version. The AA version functions exactly as shield other as far as its actual mechanics go. Any and all HItpoint damage dealt to your companion is split 50/50 with you, automatically no actions required. However, the ACG version redirects all or nothing and requires an immediate action to redirect damage, meaning you can only take a hit for your companion once per round and only if you haven’t used your immediate/swift action for something else.


I would also have to agree that there are enough differences that they are two different spells with the same name. These things happen sometimes.

One is very low level, but only works on animal companions, familiars, and fiendish servants.

The other, higher level one, works on far more varieties of 'companions'; including bonded mounts and eidolons. There's also the potential for allowing any creature that is somehow 'bonded' in some way with its wording.

Their effects are very similar, so unless you have a companion other than an animal companion, familiar, or fiendish servant then you should be okay with the 1st-level, only needing to use the 3rd level spell for other types of bonded companions.

Just consider them two different spells and change the name of one of them; maybe 'Companion Shield' or 'Shield Animal Companion' for ease of your records. It doesn't have to be accurate.


they are different spells with the same name. Yay for in-house editing! LoL.
so there really isn't any controversy, just bad editing. I'd agree that a GM should just issue a name change to the AA one as the ACG is Core product.


Pizza Lord wrote:

I would also have to agree that there are enough differences that they are two different spells with the same name. These things happen sometimes.

One is very low level, but only works on animal companions, familiars, and fiendish servants.

The other, higher level one, works on far more varieties of 'companions'; including bonded mounts and eidolons. There's also the potential for allowing any creature that is somehow 'bonded' in some way with its wording.

You do know that Bonded Mounts ARE Animal Companions right? They follow ALL the rules for animal companions, the bonded mount class feature directs you to the Druid’s animal companion for the rules on how your mount works. Anything that affects Animal Companions affects Bonded Mounts, they are the same thing. The only difference between the two is that their are fewer choices for valid mounts, and the class features that grant mounts sometimes add an extra ability or two not given to ordinary Animal Companions.

As for Eidolons… I recall it being listed somewhere (maybe in an FAQ) that spells that target specifically Animal Companions work on Eidolons as well. I could be mistaken on this one though… but the mount on the otherhand I know for a fact is affected by both spells (the AA version is on the Paladin’s spell list even).


Share Spells would probably let you cast either version on most types of companions.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Two versions of Shiled Companion All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.