I may have a problem player in my group


Pathfinder First Edition General Discussion

1 to 50 of 56 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Hello player so as you may able to tell from the tittle I may have run into my first problem player.

so some back story on the screen shots. the player that I will call Rem was with me when we stared this campaign (and one more player who droped out after 3 weeks) he and I where fin we never had a issus between us and I had fun playing with hem.He had to leave for a 3-5 weeks do to hem being in the US army.The GM got some new player (about 1 a week)all of them where fin untell ARM came in the first issuse was when the party found a dead body with some money on it and we where debating on what to do when he said "OMFG hurry up your takeing so f&$%ing long)now his character had not join the party yet so it could just be he wanted to play.now about 2 week later when we play Rem rejoin and ARM starts call REM a D&$# becuse hes casting spells on hem (in RP and out of RP)not the GM DID NOT take control of his PC.ARM whas yelling at us becuse we did not trust hem yet IN RP now keep in mind our PC only knew hem for a day.

1. http://prnt.sc/eg70ig
2. http://prnt.sc/eg70xq
3. http://prntscr.com/eg71bm
4. http://prntscr.com/eg721f
5. http://prntscr.com/eg729v

now ARM is the GMs IRL friend so I don't know what to do


Okay...

First, take a breath and calm down. I am not sure if your spelling errors are due to you being upset or if maybe English is not your first language. This means I'm not sure I fully understand your situation.

I'm not going to look at screen shots. This is because I'm paranoid about clicking on links from people I don't know.

Here is the thing.

You cannot do much about the problem player, you called him ARM, being in the game. Here is what you can do.

1. Talk to ARM and say, "Hey man, I think you're a little hostile and I'd like to ask you to please step back because it's making me, as a player, uncomfortable."

2. If that doesn't work you can talk to the GM. Say, "Hey man, this new guy is making me feel uncomfortable because of how hostile he is. I know he's your friend, do you think you could talk to him?"

3. If all else fails you can leave the group. Nobody can force you to stay. Though, again, this is a last resort.

I hope my advice helps.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Honestly, I have not been to your game so I don't know how is Rem playing his character but hearing him say that his character is condescending to other PCs because he has high IQ and he thinks of them as he was traveling with a bunch of rocks is not nice.
Hiding behind a character's personality to act in a way other people might find annoying is not good roleplaying. You can play a character who is a bit condescending, bitter, etc. without bothering other players. This is a team game and you should play your characters to fit the team.

Dark Archive

First, I just want to clarify, I might not have fully understood your point because that paragraph is a mess. Not judging or anything, many people in this forum don't speak English as a first language and people have various levels of grammatical skill, but that doesn't help me read it any better. Now for the first issue where he told y'all to hurry up and decide, well honestly it might be rude but I can sympathize. I once had a party spend an entire session trying to decide what inn to stay in for the night, and I was pretty damn frustrated about that. Now the second part was where I had some issues. The gist of it seems that ARM is having spells cast on him and he doesn't like that. Well I guess what I need to know is who is casting the spells, why are they casting the spells, what are the spells, and why is he upset about them?


sorry I have dyslexia and a few more issues with language.

but yes you are right but finding a group at all was really hard(my issues with language does not help)
the links I put in my post are of chat logs where every one could see them and the gm was online in the voice chat room and said noting so I feel like the GM may have a blind eye for his friend.but if REM does continue with this I will have to talk to hem and the GM id it comes to that.


I made my judgement based on the pics he posted, which seem clarifying.
I had a hard time understanding the OP too, as I am not a native English speaker so I might have missed some concepts.
But Rem calling other PCs «a bunch of rocks» was something that really made me think what kind of player he is.


Kileanna wrote:

Honestly, I have not been to your game so I don't know how is Rem playing his character but hearing him say that his character is condescending to other PCs because he has high IQ and he thinks of them as he was traveling with a bunch of rocks is not nice.

Hiding behind a character's personality to act in a way other people might find annoying is not good roleplaying. You can play a character who is a bit condescending, bitter, etc. without bothering other players. This is a team game and you should play your characters to fit the team.

In game his character was friendly and in game two more PC went drinking with hem.but yes that is the high IQ is not a good point


6 people marked this as a favorite.
gameinvestigator wrote:
sorry I have dyslexia and a few more issues with language.

One of the best players and GMs that I've ever had was dyslexic too. His notes were a mess but that didn't keep him for being a highly organized and clever player.

You don't have to apologize for being dyslexic. We all do our best. I sometimes have a difficult time here too as English is not my mother tongue.


Backpack wrote:
First, I just want to clarify, I might not have fully understood your point because that paragraph is a mess. Not judging or anything, many people in this forum don't speak English as a first language and people have various levels of grammatical skill, but that doesn't help me read it any better. Now for the first issue where he told y'all to hurry up and decide, well honestly it might be rude but I can sympathize. I once had a party spend an entire session trying to decide what inn to stay in for the night, and I was pretty damn frustrated about that. Now the second part was where I had some issues. The gist of it seems that ARM is having spells cast on him and he doesn't like that. Well I guess what I need to know is who is casting the spells, why are they casting the spells, what are the spells, and why is he upset about them?

telling us to hurry up was fin I get it he wanted to play.so when he said what he did I was fin with it I just did't like how he said it.

the two spell that where cast on hem where 1.some thing that would make hem friendly to the caster and 2.a spell that would make hem dislike a box of gold he had that the party got for doing something and ARM said that he did not want the gold in the first place.


I'm assuming English is a secondary language here. I'm going to clean up what you wrote so I can understand it better before I respond.

Quote:

Hello, player. So, as you may able to tell from the title, I may have run into my first problem player.

So, some backstory on the below screenshots: The player that I will call REM was with me when we started this campaign (as well as one more player who dropped out after 3 weeks). He and I were fine; we never had a issues between us, and I had fun playing with him.

He had to leave for a 3-5 weeks due to him being in the US Army. The GM got some new players (about 1 a week); all of them were fine, until ARM came in.

The first issue occurred when the party found a dead body with some money on it. We were debating on what to do when he (ARM) said "OMFG, hurry up. You're taking so f&$%ing long." His character had not joined the party at that point, so it could just be he wanted to play.

About 2 weeks later when we played, REM rejoined. ARM began calling REM a D&$#, because he's casting spells on him (in roleplay and out of roleplay). The GM DID NOT take control of his PC. ARM was yelling at us because we did not trust him yet (in character). Keep in mind, our characters had only known him for one day (in game).

1. http://prnt.sc/eg70ig
2. http://prnt.sc/eg70xq
3. http://prntscr.com/eg71bm
4. http://prntscr.com/eg721f
5. http://prntscr.com/eg729v

ARM is the GM's friend outside of the game, so I don't know what to do.

Okay, did my best but I'm still a bit confused.

First, you state that ARM began to swear at REM because he (REM?) was casting spells on him (ARM?). Assuming I have the caster and targets correct, which spells were being cast and why?

Second, you make a point of stating that the GM did not take control of his PC. Whose PC are you talking about, and why would the GM be taking control of someone's character?

Third, I would say that this is a good opportunity to view an issue from someone else's point of view. Based on the screenshots, it seems like REM's character is antagonistic towards newcomers. It would be difficult for me to enjoy coming to a game where my character has to deal with hostility within the player characters.

REM may be "just playing his character," but he also made a choice to play this kind of character. I don't know anything else about your group's dynamic, and it may be that REM is looking for roleplay opportunities to bond with new player characters. But based on that alone, I would have issue as well.

That being said, you should all have a talk together before your next game. It doesn't have to be a big talk, but all the current players and the GM should express what kind of game they are looking for. This can avoid the kind of hostility you are experiencing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Casting Charm Person on another PC is not nice, as he's trying to force him to like the caster.
This kind of enchantments on a party member often mean trouble.
Also casting a spell so Arm doesn't want the loot seems completely off.


Thanis Kartaleonyes
REM was casting the spells onto ARM.the PC I am talking about is ARM's.

I came here so that I could see from some else view on this.

Kileanna

let me restate that ARM said he did not wanted the loot before the spell was cast.I am not say that REM should have but the charm spell was becuse we found REM as a prisoner where a king of city that was kindnaped was being held.he and I where playing new characters so they did not know who they where


Even if he didn't want the loot, casting a spell on him to make sure he doesn't is like taking control of the other PC. I wouldn't like that someone did that to my PC.


Kileanna wrote:
Even if he didn't want the loot, casting a spell on him to make sure he doesn't is like taking control of the other PC. I wouldn't like that someone did that to my PC.

I did play with REM before all the new players join and he did not do any thing like this before he left.

that is why I don't know who is at fault here.I see REMs view and ARMs view.

what I am going to do is take detail note when we play today.REM can not make it this week so REM may act differently and if anything happens I will update this post.


It looks like the two players have developed some kind of hostility and they'll probably need to arrange it out of the game and come to an agreement. I hope they can.
I had a couple of players who had similar issues. They disliked each other. One of them tried his best to avoid trouble, but the other kept feeling insulted by anything the other player said. The only solution was to cut one of the two players from the game. That's never cool because both were my friends. It was easier because one of them wasn't enjoying the game and wanted to leave, but it's never cool to have this kind of table issues.
If you keep telling us how it goes I'll try my best to help.
Maybe the GM should make a move and ban all kind of non benefical spellcasting between party members.
I don't usually allow it on my table because it ends being troublesome.


Kileanna wrote:


I had a couple of players who had similar issues. They disliked each other. One of them tried his best to avoid trouble, but the other kept feeling insulted by anything the other player said. The only solution was to cut one of the two players from the game.

I had a similar thing. A good friend of mine had a serious problem with another player in a Roll20 game. My friend was becoming hostile at every opportunity. I finally had to boot him.

I wasn't fond of the player my friend disliked but the hostility was uncalled-for and was disruptive. For the good of the game my buddy had to go.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Well, based on these chat logs you've had the problem player with you all the time.

It is the person called REM.
When I GM my players have a ton of freedom, they can play pretty much whatever they like. e.g. I allow evil alignments, but they need to give me a really good motivation why they are working together with the other players. That being said:
I don't allow people playing a**holes just for the sake of being a**holes because it can be very disruptive. Sounds like that was REM is doing, hiding behind a "perceived high IQ character". And to me it doesn't seem REM has any experience with high IQ in reality. I'm actually a member of Mensa and we happen to understand that this is not something to be proud of, because that is just how nature made us. Being condescending to others is honestly a trait I have yet to encounter in any of our members.
The TL;DR; REM is playing is an a**hole and his logic for why he is an a**hole is completely flawed on top of that.

Casting Charm Person on a party member is absolute rubbish. It is a hostile spell. You might as well cast a damaging spell on your party, that's player vs. player combat.

Under normal circumstance everyone should be coming to a game to have fun, and if a player is making it hard for the others to have fun, I'll have a word with them. If that doesn't help, they may have to be let go.

This probably doesn't help you too much since from my understanding you're not the GM. REM and ARM need to sort this out themselves, out of game. If they can't, the GM might need to take a decision that what one of them will not like.


Curaidh wrote:
Being condescending to others is honestly a trait I have yet to encounter in any of our members.

I'm also a member and I totally have met others who have that trait. I mean total supervillain level dialogues, like calling people knuckle-draggers, not wanting to talk to the "slopies" as it were.

Now I agree people shouldn't. Fully agree. Just wanted to chime in that there ARE some very smart people who do act like a-hats to anyone they think is lesser.

Anyone who has something that they think places them above someone else can act this way. The rich over the poor. The successful over the unsuccessful. The beautiful over the average people. The highly intelligent against those who are not.


We're not judging if people with high HQ can behave like that. A&#~$~+s exist everywhere disregarding of HQ.
This guy is giving his character's HQ as an excuse for poor behaviour, but if it wasn't the HQ he could have given any other excuse for being disruptive.
This character's HQ is irrelevant because, even if Rem is saying otherwise, this is not a character issue but a player issue.
The players will have to come to an aggreement so the characters can get along and the GM should probably set some rules to avoid PVP.
In my games my players are given this rules:
-No PVP allowed under any circumstance.
-Players must create characters who are able to work in a team and stay motivated to do so. If they insist on going solo all the time their scenes might be overlooked.
-The loot is shared evenly. If any disagreements on looting appear, I design the loot to the character I choose.
-Any argument between players has to be dealt outside the game. If any of my players has a complaint of other player he should tell me first so I can act as a mediator, but no harsh words allowed in the middle of a session.

Fortunately most of my players don't need this rules as they are civil people, but it doesn't hurt to remind them from time to time so they remember I don't want trouble at my table.
I don't need my players to be best friends nor do I want the characters to be, but I make sure that any issue among the PCs is only in game and doesn't escalate enough to affect gameplay.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I've found that people who don't properly understand intelligence tend to RP high Int as pompous elitist douchebags. It speaks to their own self esteem and what they think highly intelligent people are secretly thinking about everyone else.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mark Thomas 66 wrote:
I've found that people who don't properly understand intelligence tend to RP high Int as pompous elitist douchebags. It speaks to their own self esteem and what they think highly intelligent people are secretly thinking about everyone else.

High Int Low charisma as it were.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Yup!

Heh. Douchebaggery may just be real life min-maxing.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think most people min-max really. I think its rare to see someone with all around good stats.


It seems like some of your players (and some people in this thread) can't fully distinguish reality and game. This is definitely a problem.

If the guy wants to play a rude character, let him. As long as he's only being rude within the game and not for real, it is not a problem.

What you can do to help the situation is to make it clear to everyone that passive-aggressive comments towards someone else's play style is being rude for real.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Characters might not be real, but people playing them are.
Being treated poorly is not fun even if it's just a game.
There's also a difference between playing a rude character, which is fine, and being so rude that you ruin other people's fun.


Kileanna wrote:
Being treated poorly is not fun even if it's just a game.

Again, you don't distinguish between reality and game enough. I totally agree that it sucks to be treated poorly. But your character is not you. My character is no me. Don't take personal offense when something bad happens to your character. I'm not being attacked by orcs, my character is. I'm not being called an idiot, my character is.

As soon as it's not just in game anymore, it has to stop (like the passive-aggressive comments in some of the screen shots).

EDIT: Of course, it goes the other way around as well. Don't bring real-life conflicts into the game, because that takes the actions into reality as well (as it's not the actions of the characters anymore, it's the actions of vindictive players).


Your both right really its gonna depend on the group and people playing and how they take it. I mean I feel like most people should know if their upsetting others and then not do it, But some people.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't take things personally if everything is in character, but I've met too many people who will hide behind a character to behave like they wouldn't dare to do in real life, I don't see that as a character problem but as a player problem.
And I as a player have a responsability to roleplay my character in a way that is not going to upset other players.
I have a long story of characters who are outsiders, a bit rude or who lack empathy, but I try to make sure I am not disruptive when I roleplay them.
You also have to know other players at the table and be empathic with them. Not everybody has the same sensitivity.
Personally, I don't care if my character is treated poorly for a reason, but seeing a player getting cocky and treating everybody poorly with his character annoys me.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Then the character should also experience the consequences of their actions in game. If character X is a dick to the cleric, well maybe during down time he gets the heal skill rather than a cure spell when not in danger of imminent death. Not all deities are about turning the other cheek.

He's a douchebag to the guy behind the bar, he gets kicked out of the tavern, the rest ofor the party can choose to join him or stay. Yes people can play the character they like but PC'S and NPC's aren't any more fond of a$*@&!$s than players.

You make an intentionally abrasive character choice, you should feel it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I aggree with you, Mark, but if the GM isn't doing his job and lets the disruptive character do what he wants it's when the conflicts with other players appear because the GM is not reacting properly and the PCs are the only ones confronting the issue character.
If another PC is mean to yours and you react properly you are risking to start a PVP battle that will often be detrimental to the game. If you let him do to avoid PVP he'll keep on doing it and you'll end being pissed.
That's why I think it's GMs duty to deal with it and why I ban PVP. This stuff has to be talked outside the game when the in game solution has failed or it can be detrimental for both the game and the relations among players.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Your group definitely has some problems. Having a player playing intelligence as a more aggressive Sheldon Cooper gets old fast. We actually had one player at our table state that geniuses are, by definition, evil because they will do anything they think of without worrying about the consequences. The TV show Bones had it closest to right when they explained to the bright-normal agent that geniuses have the same motivations as everyone else, they just tend to be more effective planning and carrying out those plans. The shows over-reliance on the Autistic OCD trope for geniuses was a bit of a fail, but their recognition of enhanced perception of subtle connections was good.

Some people play the occasional jerk for comic relief. Some people play jerks a lot, because they like being able to get away with being jerks and can use RP as a cover to be as nasty and as hurtful as they want to be. Deep seated feelings of inferiority tend to come out in unpleasant ways. Recognize this, and remember that there is often more stuff roiling under the surface. Try not to play into that game, attention tends to reinforce it.


Why does every 10th thread turn into a fight between forum users? Can't you all just discuss the topic without turning into a personal issue?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Jos,
This thread IS about a personal issue. Opinions on that issue differ, but it doesn't appear to be a fight among the posters.


JosMartigan wrote:
Why does every 10th thread turn into a fight between forum users? Can't you all just discuss the topic without turning into a personal issue?

I blame the impersonal nature of text-only electronic communication. Easy to write, easy to misinterpret. Face to face conversation doesn't often have this problem. I don't think hand-written letters had this problem either, back when people did such things.

But I agree with Daw.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well it seems Vidmaster was attacking Kileanna pretty aggressively back there. I see that A LOT on here. One person doesn't like another's opinion and then it turns into bickering that doesn't address the point of the thread.


Hey Ciaran,
Actually there was less problem back in the day with hand written letters, but it tended to be less of a problem because letters were longer. Things get explained better (hopefully) in a 6 page letter than it does in a typical post. Walls of text are looked down on as a rule, thus misunderstandings occur on a regular basis.

Sad Smile, thanks for reminding me just how old I am though. :/


Hey maybe I'm reading into things that aren't there. If I'm wrong that's fine, I'm OK with being wrong. Sorry if I'm creating a disruption.


Kileanna wrote:
I don't take things personally if everything is in character, but I've met too many people who will hide behind a character to behave like they wouldn't dare to do in real life, I don't see that as a character problem but as a player problem.

That sucks, indeed. But that's not what we're seeing here.

One guy (ARM) is reacting, in reality, over what one character said (REM's character) to his own character in the game. ARM has now taken the insults out from the game into reality, because he can't distinguish himself from his character, as he seems to think that the insult is aimed towards himself and not his character. And he doesn't either seem to understand that it's not the player insulting his character, it's the player's character who are.

On the other side, REM seems to be very aware about what is and isn't reality/game.


Kileanna wrote:
If another PC is mean to yours and you react properly you are risking to start a PVP battle that will often be detrimental to the game.

Honestly, no. If everyone reacts properly, I don't think an insult would start a detrimental fight (unless the PCs are troublemaker-morons, of course). Most (sensible) people wouldn't start a fight over an insult.

Also, on a side note: It's not necessarily PvP when two PCs fight each other. PvP is player vs player (and not PC vs PC) - At least that's a big difference for me. A fight between two PCs could very well be "consensual" - What I mean is that no reality player emotion is involved, only characters being role played, for fun.
And just like sex, it's only fun and should only be indulged in when everyone involved has give their consent.

And example: My current character has beaten the s@*% out of one of the other PCs on at least two different occasions. The other player wasn't against it, because both of us felt like his character rightfully deserved it. My character has also stolen from another party member. The other guy was getting addicted to opium and my character really didn't take this to his liking. So he stole all the opium and dumped it into the sea.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

UPDATE

Okay so the GM was made up his mind on what is going to happen.

the game this week did not happen do to some of the players having work so noting happened this week.

I did talk to the GM and I was not the only one who was bothered by this as even players from his GROUP 2 where talking to hem about this.

I do wish to add a few thing that I did not know untell today.So REMs first character sheet got delete by mistake by the GM and REMs was understanding however he did want to play a character that could mess with NPCs.

As for ARM he was apparently sending private message to the GM.the GM did not tell me what he was sent word for word how ever he did tell me it was on lines of "what the F*&$ is this" "LOL thats r%$#d" and the GM had to clame hem down.The GM did state that he has know ARM for a few years and he will not change how he is.

I know that I am typing a lot about ARM but but that is what the GM has told me to be honest I don't know what the GM has planed.


gameinvestigator wrote:

UPDATE

Okay so the GM was made up his mind on what is going to happen.

the game this week did not happen do to some of the players having work so noting happened this week.

I did talk to the GM and I was not the only one who was bothered by this as even players from his GROUP 2 where talking to hem about this.

I do wish to add a few thing that I did not know untell today.So REMs first character sheet got delete by mistake by the GM and REMs was understanding however he did want to play a character that could mess with NPCs.

As for ARM he was apparently sending private message to the GM.the GM did not tell me what he was sent word for word how ever he did tell me it was on lines of "what the F*&$ is this" "LOL thats r%$#d" and the GM had to clame hem down.The GM did state that he has know ARM for a few years and he will not change how he is.

I know that I am typing a lot about ARM but but that is what the GM has told me to be honest I don't know what the GM has planed.

I forgot the GM said that REM was sending some passive aggressive messages to hem


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Is there a Russian connection? Is the FBI involved? Was there fraudulent spell-casting or irreverent spell-tapping? Did you contact the Rock Relations board?


JosMartigan wrote:
Well it seems Vidmaster was attacking Kileanna pretty aggressively back there. I see that A LOT on here. One person doesn't like another's opinion and then it turns into bickering that doesn't address the point of the thread.

Vidmaster is a cool guy. The worse thing he has ever called me is Confuser of Vids.

I think you meant Ru-Eta.
And I might be writing some kind of answer later, but now I don't have time. I've just awaken and I'm sleepy. *Yawns*


Kileanna wrote:
JosMartigan wrote:
Well it seems Vidmaster was attacking Kileanna pretty aggressively back there. I see that A LOT on here. One person doesn't like another's opinion and then it turns into bickering that doesn't address the point of the thread.

Vidmaster is a cool guy. The worse thing he has ever called me is Confuser of Vids.

I think you meant Ru-Eta.
And I might be writing some kind of answer later, but now I don't have time. I've just awaken and I'm sleepy. *Yawns*

Wait what did I do?


Evil, evil Vid.
Ninja Vid.
You attacked me and I didn't even notice.

I think JosMartigan just confused the names.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You know I've played a lot of classes but I was never huge on Ninja's so I guess I repressed my inner ninja down so much that he is lashing out at people unbeknownst to me. OoO making a new aliasis


1 person marked this as a favorite.

*Attacks the Thread* *Vanishes*


3 people marked this as a favorite.

One cannot have too many aliases.
When I grow up I want to be just like Captain Yesterday.

Back on topic. I was writing a lengthy post but I felt like I was repeating arguments, so I'm going straight to the new points.

If it's consensual I don't have a problem with two PCs fighting each others or casting non benefical spells on other PCs. As you said PVP means player vs. Player not character vs. Character.
But they have to aggree out of character to do it and ask permission from the other player.
When I was playing my Enchanter wizard there was another PC who had contracted lycanthropy. I don't think he'd complain but I asked to cast Dominate on him to avoid him to kill some peasants before I did. Not all players feel comfortable with other PCs doing this so keeping everything consensual helps to improve everybody's fun.

What I don't get is all this «it's me, not my character» justification. Your character is not real. If a player is not feeling comfortable with your behaviour it's your responsability to change it, not your character's.
People feels uncomfortable about fictional things all the time. People stops watching shows because they have too much gore, too much sex, too much drama, whatever. And it's not because they think the show is real, it's just because they have the right to dislike it even if it's fictional.
If one of the people in the group was playing a rapist and his character started doing it in the game. I would't think my friend is a rapist, but I wouldn't feel very comfortable about it. If other people at the table wanted him to stop and he just said «it's not me, it's my character» and went on the issue would be with the player, not the character. Nobody thinks that the real person is a rapist, they can see the difference. That's not the issue. The issue is that other players are not enjoying because of this character and the player is being selfish by not wanting to adapt to the other players. No matter if he wasn't doing anything wrong before. At the moment you start putting your own fun above the group's fun there's an issue.
I don't believe in «problems with a character». If a character is problematic but everybody enjoys there is no problem at all. If a character is problematic and other players don't enjoy then the problem is with players, not with characters.
----
@gameinvestigator
It looks like the players are polarized and starting a war with the GM in the middle.
My best advice is that the GM enforces civility in the table and states to both players to keep their differences out of the game.
If any of the two players tries to use his PC as a «weapon» to deliberately hinder or hurt the other PC (and I've seen it too many times) the game will soon go south.
As a GM I had to deal with similar issues before and I told my players that no matter what kind of issues they had out of the game, their characters had to collaborate and be polite to each other. The players will never be best friends but at least everybody enjoyed the game.
If they cannot be civil then one of the player will have to leave the game, but if you can avoid it it will be better for all the group.


Having read this - and having played an utter pain in the ass as a PC in the past, and NOT because (as Kileanna says) it gave me license to be a dick to others - I can categorically state that 'Girlfriend ARM' needs a talking-to about passive/aggressive b&#!@*@!, keeping IC stuff IC (particularly if the other player (i.e REM) is a) somewhat apologizing and trying to keep things OOCly copacetic, b) is not saying what the OTHER person's character is, but only what their OWN character is, and c) is otherwise at the table an entirely good-natured individual, which by all accounts he is), and insulting other players.

If the talking-to didn't fix it, I-as-GM would have to say, "I like you a lot, but I think having you in the group is a problem, so you're out of the group."

*shrugs* YMMV.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

i know in quite a few groups if a character is being to big a dbag they would come to a group consenses and coup de grace him in his sleep being a dbag means your character wont last long your party will hate you, the npcs will hate you and then your dead

1 to 50 of 56 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / I may have a problem player in my group All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.