if i were a rich magus yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum


Advice


Hi.
One of my players, an archer magus (myrmidarch, maybe will rewritte to eldrich archer) had the amazing idea of opening the apocalypse box, with the amazing luck of obtaining and amazing huge diamond of 50000 gp value.
He also have obtained 15000 gp by his services in a war.How he survided the final battle with the diamond is a long story.
So, he is a level 5 magus with 65000 gp. The average party level is level 7 (He is the only one in level 5).

He is very noob, and he only want arrows, but with that ammount of cash I think he can afford silly stuff. Any ideas?


What's his general build?


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber

MORE ARROWS!

that quiver that's basically a bag of holding is probably a good idea.

MORE ARROWS

Greater Hat of disguise, for no particular reason

MORE ARROWS

Muleback cords(for all those arrows)

MORE ARROWS

Winged boots might be cool

MORE ARROWS

he could be lazy and get a +5 longbow...


On second thought, it likely won't matter what he buys, considering in the next few days he'll likely fail his Will save to not open the box and that's when that particular party will get annihilated.


As a straight numbers game the big 6 are the best. Weapon, armor, belt with a physical stat bonus (probably Dex), headband with a mental stat bonus (probably Int), ring of protection/amulet of natural armor, cloak of resistance. For best results divide the money between those - not evenly, just don't forget any.

To those an archer might add a goz mask and/or a silver nocking point if the environment is causing them problems. A magus has a lot of use for pearls of power.

There's plenty of items that might be cool but we'd need some hint of build or personality to guess which.

Oh, and it's perfectly possible to spend 65K on arrows. Not optimal at all, but quite easy to do.


Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber
Ashram wrote:
On second thought, it likely won't matter what he buys, considering in the next few days he'll likely fail his Will save to not open the box and that's when that particular party will get annihilated.

they should try to do it in populated areas so they can run away if things go sour.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Aside from the big six, there's a pretty big item list in this guide.


Thanks you very much.

He doesn't have a very original build. He is a snowball ranged magus. But he is very noob, with much of thinking effort every round only to do self buffs and truestrike a most time instead of snowballs. Because of this, I think passive items, like the dex belt and int headband, would be ok (for example: some pearls of power implies moments of choosing which spell to take, etc).

At the first game sessions he liked to climb every wall before shooting, until I said him it was a waste of time in most encounters. So he will love his brand new winged boots.

Any particular arrow besides elemental/keen/bleed damage? I mean, one or two very particular arrow would be fine.
I didn't say the race. He is a dhampire (the int+dex variant heritage one).

Bandw2 wrote:
Ashram wrote:
On second thought, it likely won't matter what he buys, considering in the next few days he'll likely fail his Will save to not open the box and that's when that particular party will get annihilated.

they should try to do it in populated areas so they can run away if things go sour.

The box was part of a final encounter on the top of a pyramid in a war.

The objective was not the box, it was here to anoy the people who went to the top of the pyramid. After the battle, and the end of the war, the box is now in a safe place, and the magus is not cursed. But some expendable NPC saw him opening the box and picking the diamond...

Dark Archive

dr Slurp wrote:

Thanks you very much.

He doesn't have a very original build. He is a snowball ranged magus. But he is very noob, with much of thinking effort every round only to do self buffs and truestrike a most time instead of snowballs. Because of this, I think passive items, like the dex belt and int headband, would be ok (for example: some pearls of power implies moments of choosing which spell to take, etc).

At the first game sessions he liked to climb every wall before shooting, until I said him it was a waste of time in most encounters. So he will love his brand new winged boots.

Any particular arrow besides elemental/keen/bleed damage? I mean, one or two very particular arrow would be fine.
I didn't say the race. He is a dhampire (the int+dex variant heritage one).

Bandw2 wrote:
Ashram wrote:
On second thought, it likely won't matter what he buys, considering in the next few days he'll likely fail his Will save to not open the box and that's when that particular party will get annihilated.

they should try to do it in populated areas so they can run away if things go sour.

The box was part of a final encounter on the top of a pyramid in a war.

The objective was not the box, it was here to anoy the people who went to the top of the pyramid. After the battle, and the end of the war, the box is now in a safe place, and the magus is not cursed. But some expendable NPC saw him opening the box and picking the diamond...

That isnt how that magic item works. If he wasnt cursed he couldnt open the box. If he was cursed he could open the box. He should be dead by now.

Dark Archive

noobs doing dumb stuff?
it's tradition


Halek wrote:


That isnt how that magic item works. If he wasnt cursed he couldnt open the box. If he was cursed he could open the box. He should be dead by now.

You're talking to the DM, in his game that is exactly how the magic item works. Which is good because a level 7 party wipe from a random artifact is not a particularly fun way to end a campaign with presumably a decent amount of time sank into it judging by them being level 5-7.

OT: Serpent Belt is a fun one. Eyes of the Eagle are a nifty passive. Cap of Disguise as someone else mentioned is fun.

Dark Archive

Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Halek wrote:


That isnt how that magic item works. If he wasnt cursed he couldnt open the box. If he was cursed he could open the box. He should be dead by now.

You're talking to the DM, in his game that is exactly how the magic item works. Which is good because a level 7 party wipe from a random artifact is not a particularly fun way to end a campaign with presumably a decent amount of time sank into it judging by them being level 5-7.

OT: Serpent Belt is a fun one. Eyes of the Eagle are a nifty passive. Cap of Disguise as someone else mentioned is fun.

If he is going to houserule artifacts how do we know he wont have other houserules that make our advice useless? I am not trying to be rude. Please forgive me if I am coming across this way.

Hey OP any other houserules in this game? It impacts the advice.

Assuming normal rules why not get a quiver with an autoresetting abundant ammunition spell. That would solve his arrow problem.


Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Halek wrote:


That isnt how that magic item works. If he wasnt cursed he couldnt open the box. If he was cursed he could open the box. He should be dead by now.

You're talking to the DM, in his game that is exactly how the magic item works. Which is good because a level 7 party wipe from a random artifact is not a particularly fun way to end a campaign with presumably a decent amount of time sank into it judging by them being level 5-7.

OT: Serpent Belt is a fun one. Eyes of the Eagle are a nifty passive. Cap of Disguise as someone else mentioned is fun.

Except the magus, they are at almost 7-8 level, in fact. The magus is the worst player.

He voluntarily get cursed to be allowed to open the box. As a GM, i didnt expect that.
It was the end of a war campaign after using massive combat system (which we enjoyed a lot) for a while. There was several factions, including one demon army, fighting each other.
Players could have avoided to open the box by several methods, and all of them (exepct the magus, which was in other place all the war) knowed that open the box could start an apocalypse. Moreover, they met an ancient gold dragon and otherNPC to help them.
But, by destiny, the magus reached the box several hours before all the armys arrived to the pyramid. Luckily for all, his wish was granted. How do they survive to the curse? That is another long story.

Bytheway, thanks for all the item advices.


Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Halek wrote:


That isnt how that magic item works. If he wasnt cursed he couldnt open the box. If he was cursed he could open the box. He should be dead by now.
You're talking to the DM, in his game that is exactly how the magic item works. .

I didnt use house rules (unless intentionally: I Dont have much ranks in english language skill). If someones looks at the box, it compels him to aproach and touch it. Then, if he does touch it, he will throw the will save to not get cursed. If he fails the save, he must open the box by the curse effect.

And a person cursed by the box can only open the box once a day

The encounter when the party arrived at the box was funny absurd, because several failed the first will save and the rest of the team stopped them to look and aproaching the box.


Halek wrote:


If he is going to houserule artifacts how do we know he wont have other houserules that make our advice useless? I am not trying to be rude. Please forgive me if I am coming across this way.

Hey OP any other houserules in this game? It impacts the advice.

Assuming normal rules why not get a quiver with an autoresetting abundant ammunition spell. That would solve his arrow problem.

How would him house ruling a death sentence out of an artifact impact advice on some goofy magic items to buy?

OT: Buying some silver and cold steel arrows is probably a very good idea if he hasn't already.

Dark Archive

Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Halek wrote:


If he is going to houserule artifacts how do we know he wont have other houserules that make our advice useless? I am not trying to be rude. Please forgive me if I am coming across this way.

Hey OP any other houserules in this game? It impacts the advice.

Assuming normal rules why not get a quiver with an autoresetting abundant ammunition spell. That would solve his arrow problem.

How would him house ruling a death sentence out of an artifact impact advice on some goofy magic items to buy?

OT: Buying some silver and cold steel arrows is probably a very good idea if he hasn't already.

If he is houseruling some magic items he might have houseruled others. He might have different activation rules for magic items which would make some items way more viable.


Halek wrote:
Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Halek wrote:


If he is going to houserule artifacts how do we know he wont have other houserules that make our advice useless? I am not trying to be rude. Please forgive me if I am coming across this way.

Hey OP any other houserules in this game? It impacts the advice.

Assuming normal rules why not get a quiver with an autoresetting abundant ammunition spell. That would solve his arrow problem.

How would him house ruling a death sentence out of an artifact impact advice on some goofy magic items to buy?

OT: Buying some silver and cold steel arrows is probably a very good idea if he hasn't already.

If he is houseruling some magic items he might have houseruled others. He might have different activation rules for magic items which would make some items way more viable.

You are correct assuming no house rules.

I dont like house rules in most situations.
And, believe me, I think I interpreted apocalypse box rules well (no house ruling), however, i didnt tell you all the campaign details because it would be very frustrating to you read all the story redacted in my mid level english.

Dont worry, Kaleh, you didnt seem rude to me.

I am picking all of your ideas, thanks. I expect to reach the 65000 gp with these. If not, I suggest him to buy some stuff with very high cost.


Make him buy some arrows with fireworks strapped to them. I've never got round to making a bard archer but I always thought it would be funny to do so if I did and now I want to live vicariously through your rich Magus.


Climbing out of reach isn't a terrible idea for an archer, but it helps to have a magic item to make it practical in combat time. Slippers of spider climbing do that. A ranged piton might be handy to get to more difficult to reach places. Flight may make both of these irrelevant of course.

A Figurine of Wondrous Power can be weird and fun. Given the duration you'd usually activate one out of combat which should help avoid option paralysis in combat.

If they don't get the slippers above then boots of speed are a reasonable idea. Other items that they'll want some day are a handy haversack and a blessed book.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Winged Boots = 16,000gp
+3 Comp. Longbow = 18,000gp (Bypasses Magic/Silver/Cold Iron) + 1,000gp for adaptive if a strength character
50 Adamantine Arrows = 3,000gp
3 Wands of Abundant Ammunition = (750gp x 3) 2,250gp
1 Wand of invisibilty = 4,500gp
Effecient Quiver = 1,800gp

that leaves him with 3,450gp to buy ring of protection, cloak of resistance, etc.

If feeling party-buffing happy, buy the divine caster a wand of Align Weapon for 4,500gp (and drop something from the above list like 2 of the AA wands saving 1,500gp) and ask them nicely to buff the bow/other's weapons. It would help with all those pesky Outsiders the box creates. :)

The winged boots keep him out of melee from anything but other flying creatures and/or range (spells/weapons). I prefer avoidance to lugging around armor 'in case' you get attacked.

Bow bypasses most things in the game. Adamantine arrows+wand of abundant ammo+wand of Align Weapon will have all DR covered.

50,000gp doesn't last as long as it did in the old days...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Chromantic Durgon <3 wrote:
Make him buy some arrows with fireworks strapped to them. I've never got round to making a bard archer but I always thought it would be funny to do so if I did and now I want to live vicariously through your rich Magus.

Eldritch Archer (Magus) w/Spell Blending : Snap-dragon fireworks for a dazzle effect


Abundant Ammunition got nerfed (UltCmbt) and no longer affects special materials or weapon blanches... so in a home game you'd have to caveat that in. There are other threads where you can read up on it and bemoan or agree.

there's Items that can save you which is a handy list. He could hand stuff out to his party... silly I know... lol...

I'd agree that spending part on a weapon, armor, some self enhancing items(ability scores), saves, etc... is sensible
and maybe a business for future income discounts on items...
lastly maybe he could buy some services from a hospital/healer or fortune teller... ya never know...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / if i were a rich magus yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dum All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.