The Monkey's Treefort


Off-Topic Discussions

1,401 to 1,450 of 19,931 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Sharoth wrote:
lucky7 wrote:
Orthos: I've wanted to get into FMA. Which series should I start with?
To get the full impact of FMA - Brotherhood, you must watch the original FMA series at least through to the halfway mark. This is because some things were glossed over in FMA - Brotherhood that are explained in the original series.

That's a pity. I only watched Brotherhood.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

For some reason, I decided to spend the snowbound day exploring the distaff branches of my family tree, which I hadn't before. Turns out both Louis IX (Saint Louis) and Robert the Bruce are my 22nd great-grandfathers. But going back king-wise, the nearest is my 18th great-grandfather, Edward III Plantagenet via John of Gaunt. This is disturbing, since I identify as Scottish and am more distant from Scottish royalty than (defunct) English, but they're all so mingled, it makes no difference. Remote royal ancestors and $10 will get you a Starbucks.

This amuses me, for some reason, though I'm more entertained by the misdeeds of my ancestor "Red Duncan" Campbell, who was quite the knave.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I've been looking for source documents for near relatives (1st and 2nd great grandparents) in Scotland. Near as I can tell, my great-grandmother was illegitimate. She was born in October at home, at 5 Something Street. Two months later, another little girl was born at 91 Something Street to the same man and his wife and was named - get this - after my great-great grandmother who just had his other baby a few houses down.

I thought it might be name confusion, but the father was literate and signed his name to both registries, with the same odd signature.

W.T.F.

Who names their daughter after their mistress? o_O


TriOmegaZero wrote:
That's a pity. I only watched Brotherhood.

Belated Happy TOZday!


Treppa wrote:

I've been looking for source documents for near relatives (1st and 2nd great grandparents) in Scotland. Near as I can tell, my great-grandmother was illegitimate. She was born in October at home, at 5 Something Street. Two months later, another little girl was born at 91 Something Street to the same man and his wife and was named - get this - after my great-great grandmother who just had his other baby a few houses down.

I thought it might be name confusion, but the father was literate and signed his name to both registries, with the same odd signature.

W.T.F.

Who names their daughter after their mistress? o_O

Awesome. :-)


Sissyl wrote:
Treppa wrote:

I've been looking for source documents for near relatives (1st and 2nd great grandparents) in Scotland. Near as I can tell, my great-grandmother was illegitimate. She was born in October at home, at 5 Something Street. Two months later, another little girl was born at 91 Something Street to the same man and his wife and was named - get this - after my great-great grandmother who just had his other baby a few houses down.

I thought it might be name confusion, but the father was literate and signed his name to both registries, with the same odd signature.

W.T.F.

Who names their daughter after their mistress? o_O

Awesome. :-)

Saving the costs on future presents by ordering two at once? :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Sharoth wrote:
lucky7 wrote:
Orthos: I've wanted to get into FMA. Which series should I start with?
To get the full impact of FMA - Brotherhood, you must watch the original FMA series at least through to the halfway mark. This is because some things were glossed over in FMA - Brotherhood that are explained in the original series.
That's a pity. I only watched Brotherhood.

I watched FMA first and would have rated it at a solid A-. FMA Brotherhood rates an A+++ and is one of my favorite anime of all times. ~thinks~ I may have to rewatch it again.

Having said that FMA was worth watching if only for the battle between Edward and Roy.


Treppa wrote:

For some reason, I decided to spend the snowbound day exploring the distaff branches of my family tree, which I hadn't before. Turns out both Louis IX (Saint Louis) and Robert the Bruce are my 22nd great-grandfathers. But going back king-wise, the nearest is my 18th great-grandfather, Edward III Plantagenet via John of Gaunt. This is disturbing, since I identify as Scottish and am more distant from Scottish royalty than (defunct) English, but they're all so mingled, it makes no difference. Remote royal ancestors and $10 will get you a Starbucks.

This amuses me, for some reason, though I'm more entertained by the misdeeds of my ancestor "Red Duncan" Campbell, who was quite the knave.

The only royal connection on either of my families is on the genetic one: A connection to the Ramsay family, earls of Dalhousie who founded the university of the same name. Other than that my lineage is prosaically proletariat.


Last of my long days. I hope I get a break tomorrow. I'm feeling like butter scraped thin on toast.


Treppa wrote:

I've been looking for source documents for near relatives (1st and 2nd great grandparents) in Scotland. Near as I can tell, my great-grandmother was illegitimate. She was born in October at home, at 5 Something Street. Two months later, another little girl was born at 91 Something Street to the same man and his wife and was named - get this - after my great-great grandmother who just had his other baby a few houses down.

I thought it might be name confusion, but the father was literate and signed his name to both registries, with the same odd signature.

W.T.F.

Who names their daughter after their mistress? o_O

looks around nervously


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ye gods, thank you for caffeine! How would civilization function without that blessed organic molecule!

Shadow Lodge

Patrick Curtin wrote:
Ye gods, thank you for caffeine! How would civilization function without that blessed organic molecule!

It ain't easy, I'll tell you that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Orthos wrote:
Patrick Curtin wrote:
Ye gods, thank you for caffeine! How would civilization function without that blessed organic molecule!
It ain't easy, I'll tell you that.

I found a work around, as long as you don't care about tooth retention, or brain cells, or not looking like you're trying out to be an extra on The Walking Dead.

Silver Crusade

Ugh. I have been so busy lately!

I am certainly in for the 23rd. Bubble tea can be arranged! I'm typically not in the Alphabet City area unless it's with Paizo peeps. If I can (and if FHDM doesn't beat me to it) I will investigate that hotel.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Freehold! I have indoctrinated two more people into the ways of Bonchon!

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.

And so it begins... Allergy season.

F#!@ YOU, TREES!

... It's only going to get worse...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Like the Monkey, I am eagerly awaiting new episodes of Archer and GoT. Right now I have the new season of House of Cards. I've watched 10 of the 13 new episodes they put out. Slow start, but now it's really picking up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Beats winter at least, I'm so tired of layers, and shoes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You're not my supervisor!!!


Celestial Healer wrote:

Freehold! I have indoctrinated two more people into the ways of Bonchon!

wears ceremonial vestments

You have done well, my son.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Celestial Healer wrote:

And so it begins... Allergy season.

F~!! YOU, TREES!

... It's only going to get worse...

as you can see, winter is the superior season.

Shadow Lodge

Winter and spring are my allergy seasons. Autumn ftw.

Sovereign Court

Darn right.


Orthos wrote:
Winter and spring are my allergy seasons. Autumn ftw.

you speak crazyness. Phlegmy craziness.


Fall is mine, I also love and hate winter.

I would say summer is my favorite season.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

My favorite Season?

ANY dang day of any week of any month that I actually get a day OFF!

So right now? The next upcoming 8 days are my favorite season! :)


Spring is my jam. Allergies be damned, I love the greening of the world!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, because dissing the trees will make them send out less pollen? Some people.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Spring is the worst for my allergies, then I get a reprieve over the summer until September, which is the second worst time of year. Although fall is still my favorite season.

The lack of allergies is winter's only redeeming quality.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Celestial Healer wrote:

Spring is the worst for my allergies, then I get a reprieve over the summer until September, which is the second worst time of year. Although fall is still my favorite season.

The lack of allergies is winter's only redeeming quality.

Right there with you, allergy-wise, though not with winter! Up with winter! Die, everything!


Treppa wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

Spring is the worst for my allergies, then I get a reprieve over the summer until September, which is the second worst time of year. Although fall is still my favorite season.

The lack of allergies is winter's only redeeming quality.

Right there with you, allergy-wise, though not with winter! Up with winter! Die, everything!

Except in South Louisiana. Obviously.

Where the f@#$-in' grass grows 24/7/365.
No matter how cold it does or does not get any-freakin-where else! :P


Ragadolf wrote:
Treppa wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

Spring is the worst for my allergies, then I get a reprieve over the summer until September, which is the second worst time of year. Although fall is still my favorite season.

The lack of allergies is winter's only redeeming quality.

Right there with you, allergy-wise, though not with winter! Up with winter! Die, everything!

Except in South Louisiana. Obviously.

Where the f@#$-in' grass grows 24/7/365.
No matter how cold it does or does not get any-freakin-where else! :P

Where are you at in South Louisiana? The wife's family lives in NO.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Treppa wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

Spring is the worst for my allergies, then I get a reprieve over the summer until September, which is the second worst time of year. Although fall is still my favorite season.

The lack of allergies is winter's only redeeming quality.

Right there with you, allergy-wise, though not with winter! Up with winter! Die, everything!

treppa, my snowflake queen, together we will turn the world into a snow encrusted playground!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Freehold DM wrote:
Treppa wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

Spring is the worst for my allergies, then I get a reprieve over the summer until September, which is the second worst time of year. Although fall is still my favorite season.

The lack of allergies is winter's only redeeming quality.

Right there with you, allergy-wise, though not with winter! Up with winter! Die, everything!
treppa, my snowflake queen, together we will turn the world into a snow encrusted playground!

I hear supervillain talk!


Go on, and please, be as specific as possible.


In double-checking and cleaning up the family tree, I had to bid farewell to Harald Hardratta as an ancestor. There's no evidence beyond people's fancies on ancestry.com. Boy, do those folks get click-happy!

I untangled the mess where one of my female forebears gave birth to a son 100 years before she was born. Yeesh, people, read the dates! You skipped a few generations!

I still haven't figured out how my great-great-great grandfather was born two years after his mother died. Might be time for the dhampir template.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Treppa wrote:

In double-checking and cleaning up the family tree, I had to bid farewell to Harald Hardratta as an ancestor. There's no evidence beyond people's fancies on ancestry.com. Boy, do those folks get click-happy!

I untangled the mess where one of my female forebears gave birth to a son 100 years before she was born. Yeesh, people, read the dates! You skipped a few generations!

I still haven't figured out how my great-great-great grandfather was born two years after his mother died. Might be time for the dhampir template.

SHHHHH! What did Pop-Pop tell you about that? Our little secret, remember?

Rummages in pocket

Would you like some ribbon candy? Or maybe some salt-water taffy?


Back on the T. Ye gods I am feeling pretty tired. I hope I can catch a cat nap at Suffolk before class.


Nap time in the student lounge *zzzzz*


Who will be in New York in the middle of August? My friend is planning to go to Detroit for a training and afterwards she'd want to visit New York...


Drejk wrote:
Who will be in New York in the middle of August? My friend is planning to go to Detroit for a training and afterwards she'd want to visit New York...

Unfortunately I will be enjoying the pleasant beaches of Cape Breton at that point


Patrick Curtin wrote:
Treppa wrote:

For some reason, I decided to spend the snowbound day exploring the distaff branches of my family tree, which I hadn't before. Turns out both Louis IX (Saint Louis) and Robert the Bruce are my 22nd great-grandfathers. But going back king-wise, the nearest is my 18th great-grandfather, Edward III Plantagenet via John of Gaunt. This is disturbing, since I identify as Scottish and am more distant from Scottish royalty than (defunct) English, but they're all so mingled, it makes no difference. Remote royal ancestors and $10 will get you a Starbucks.

This amuses me, for some reason, though I'm more entertained by the misdeeds of my ancestor "Red Duncan" Campbell, who was quite the knave.

The only royal connection on either of my families is on the genetic one: A connection to the Ramsay family, earls of Dalhousie who founded the university of the same name. Other than that my lineage is prosaically proletariat.

Irish records are notoriously spotty past the early 1800s (due to the national archives being burned in 1922 during the Battle of Dublin), but based on scraps of names and places from a few different sources, my paternal ancestors (the Ó Mealláins) seem to have been minor landed nobles (vassals to the House of O'Neill) around what is now Cookstown, Northern Ireland, UK. After the English took over the area, my ancestors bounced around the Irish borderlands for a couple hundred years, and eventually ended up in Queens, NY around AD 1900. No real famous relatives on that side of the family, unless you want to count this guy (but so can a whole lot of other people, by all accounts). Or, you know, Typhoid Mary.

On my mother's father's side of the family (the Clarenbachs, from near Düsseldorf), however, there are extensive records dating back to the 1400s. (Apparently, the Germans like precise and orderly record-keeping. Who knew?) From the late 1500s onward, they seem to have gotten involved with the local knife-making guild and entered the ranks of the obnoxious nouveau riche, producing several Bürgermeisters over the years (and doing an uncomfortable amount of inbreeding). A branch of the family decided to pack up and leave during the middle of the Unification of Germany, and took a steamboat up the Mississippi, first to St. Louis, and from there to various parts of Wisconsin, Illinois, and Minnesota. On that side of the family, we've got Adolf Clarenbach (a Protestant reformer burned at the stake in 1529 alongside Peter Fliesteden, now adorning the Cologne city hall in statue form), and Kathryn D. Frederick Clarenbach (second-wave feminist activist and founding member of NOW).


Celestial Healer wrote:

And so it begins... Allergy season.

F&@! YOU, TREES!

... It's only going to get worse...

I heard it's going to be the worst allergy season in over a decade.


Treppa wrote:
In double-checking and cleaning up the family tree, I had to bid farewell to Harald Hardratta as an ancestor. There's no evidence beyond people's fancies on ancestry.com. Boy, do those folks get click-happy!

One of the old tales about my maternal grandmother's side of the family was that they were descended from Founding Father James Wilson (born in Fife, Scotland). It was so entrenched that my great-grandmother's obituary mentioned it. After months of digging, I discovered that the Fredericks were descended from an entirely different James Wilson (whose father bore the same name as the father of the famous James Wilson), this one born of Scottish stock in what is now Antrim, Northern Ireland. My aunt still won't believe me, even after I showed her the census documents.


Drejk wrote:
Who will be in New York in the middle of August? My friend is planning to go to Detroit for a training and afterwards she'd want to visit New York...

The city, or the state in general?


Drejk wrote:
Who will be in New York in the middle of August? My friend is planning to go to Detroit for a training and afterwards she'd want to visit New York...

I will be here!


David M Mallon wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

And so it begins... Allergy season.

F&@! YOU, TREES!

... It's only going to get worse...

I heard it's going to be the worst allergy season in over a decade.

begins winter resurrection ritual


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dave wrote:
From the late 1500s onward, they seem to have gotten involved with the local knife-making guild and entered the ranks of the obnoxious nouveau riche, producing several Bürgermeisters over the years (and doing an uncomfortable amount of inbreeding)

MEIN COUSIN!!!!!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
David M Mallon wrote:
...I discovered that the Fredericks were descended from an entirely different James Wilson (whose father bore the same name as the father of the famous James Wilson)...

Because James Wilson isn't a common name in Scotland, not at all. ;)

One illegitimate child was fathered by William Smith, but it had the father's birth year. No problem, says I, I'll search the birth records for the county that year and find the scamp's parents. Hah! There were 51 - fifty-one! - William Smiths born in Ayrshire that year. Oy.

On my mother's side, I can find nothing, because the family forenames are James, John, Andrew, and Isobel, while the surnames are Smith, Thomson, and Wilson. Or rather, I find too much. I can't tell one from the other!

My father's pre-Revolutionary War ancestors came over from Northern Ireland, but were part of the 1718 migration from Scotland to Ulster. One generation was born in Northern Ireland, then they came to their senses and headed for the New World. Can't turn them up in the Northern Irish records to save my life.


David M Mallon wrote:
Celestial Healer wrote:

And so it begins... Allergy season.

F&@! YOU, TREES!

... It's only going to get worse...

I heard it's going to be the worst allergy season in over a decade.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1,401 to 1,450 of 19,931 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / The Monkey's Treefort All Messageboards