Fighter Advice


Advice

The Exchange

Okay, so I haven't actually played in a while. I've been the Game Master for quite a few years, but not a player.

That said, I've got the chance to play in Council of Thieves.
I want to play a fighter. I enjoy fighters, I enjoy the minimum of working parts in a class. I'm not changing my class, so please don't suggest it. I am taking the Lore Warden archetype.

I want my character to focus on the kusarigama, because it seems fun. By RAW, the kusarigama is quite the confusing weapon, but my GM has houseruled it.

Kama end - 5 ft reach, Trip, 1d6, Slashing
Ball end - Reach, Disarm, 1d3, Bludgeoning
Both Ends - Grapple

This, admittedly, is a houserule concerning the weapon, so I don't need discussions on how it works, how it's supposed to work, or RAW.

Finally, I have the following stats.

STR - 16
DEX - 16
CON - 12
INT - 13
WIS - 10
CHA - 11

Feats
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (kusarigama)
Combat Reflexes
Two-Weapon Fighting

Race
Human, with +2 in CON (already included in the stats above)

Now, I'm not trying to optimize, I'm just trying to play something I find fun. So if anyone has suggestions on unique feat lines I can go, that'd be great. The only ones I've got lined up for sure are Improved Disarm and Improved Trip.

Liberty's Edge

Probably obvious, but weapon focus and specialization might be a good idea for a little extra damage. Dirty tricks, maybe? Lunge could be fun. Get a trait that makes Acrobatics a class skill, and use that for an AC bonus, and to get around on the battlefield.


I recommend the martial master archetype for spont feats. It let's you have neat feats you want for the combat and realy make use of that lore warden cmb bonus. Weapon focus and specialization helps mitigate the loss of weapon training and it seems that you want to focus on those weapons anyways.

Are your stats rolled or point buy?


Medium Armor Prof should be very useful.

The Exchange

We rolled a pool with 5 sets of dice (there are 4 players, the DM rolled a set) then took turns picking from the pool of numbers. It was 3d6, however.

Hmm, I'll have to ask my GM if Martial Master is legal, I think the only book she said she didn't want at her table was the advanced class guide, so I'll have to see. But interesting idea.


Hm, would a multiclass into Brawler hurt or help down the line? It would let you use your INT roll in a different stat, though you would miss out on Combat Expertise for a level. You could get some fun grapple things going, and would qualify for Vicious Stomp, which combos well Combat Reflexes and Greater Trip. (2x AOO on a successful trip)


My Self wrote:
Hm, would a multiclass into Brawler hurt or help down the line? It would let you use your INT roll in a different stat, though you would miss out on Combat Expertise for a level. You could get some fun grapple things going, and would qualify for Vicious Stomp, which combos well Combat Reflexes and Greater Trip. (2x AOO on a successful trip)

You need good INT to pass Knowledge checks for Know Your Enemy.

OP: Your stats look good, I recommended Medium Armor Prof because you'd have a respectable 19 AC with a Breastplate.

Also, you want all the Lore Warden levels you can, try not to branch out. Getting to Swift action Know Your Enemy is the goal.

The Exchange

Well, alas I admit I'm not 100% knowledgeable with feat trees. So I was asking more about if there were any cool things to do with disarm or trip. Grapple is something I realized I can't afford feat wise even with fighter bonus feats.


I had to look, but here's a disarm feat that might be fun to play around with:

Directed Disarm

I was going to grab it on a cavalier, but ended up switching to a barbarian dip, because they have a rage power that can do it a bit better. I think it's called Impelling Disarm.

Actually, that makes me think. There's at least one fighter archetype that grants rage (Viking), not sure if any grant rage powers, but if they do that might be a route for you to consider if it stacks with Lore Warden.


Jericho Graves wrote:
Well, alas I admit I'm not 100% knowledgeable with feat trees. So I was asking more about if there were any cool things to do with disarm or trip. Grapple is something I realized I can't afford feat wise even with fighter bonus feats.

The Trip Tree is pretty well-established

Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Fury's Fall: you get to use both your St and Dex Mods for your CMB

Vicious Stomp: you get an unarmed Attack of Opportunity when your opponent falls Prone. This DOES stack with Greater Trip.

Punishing Kick: Sort of like Stunning Fist, but instead of your opponent being Stunned, he falls Prone. This is not as good as actually Tripping someone, but Tripping has Size limits, and Punishing Kick doesn't.

Greater Trip

Get a Wrist Cord to go along with your Trip Weapon. The advantage of using a Trip Weapon with a Trip Build is that in the event of a catastrophic Trip Attempt, you can elect to drop your Trip Weapon instead of getting Tripped yourself. A Wrist Cord will let you recover your weapon without suffering Attacks of Opportunity.

If you are giving out Attacks of Opportunity, consider a 1 level dip in Cavalier to get Paired Opportunist as a Bonus Feat. The Tactician Cavalier Class Ability lets all your allies use Paired Opportunist. And what Paired Opportunist does is if anybody gets an Attack of Opportunity, everybody does.

My favorite AoO Feat is Snake Fang. Expensive--the price just went up--but worth it. Every time someone misses you, you get an Attack of Opportunity. And if you were already taking Paired Opportunist to go with Tripping, this will be great. To use Vicious Stomp, you need Improved Unarmed Strike Anyway, so take 1 level in Monk with the Master of Many Styles Archetype, and you can get both Snake Style and Improved Unarmed Strike as Bonus Feats. You'll be taking a level with +0 BAB, but you will get +2 on all your saves +2 Bonus Feats: worth it. Put 1 rank in Sense Motive every level, and take Snake Sidewind at or after level 6 and Snake Fang at level 9. Since MOMS Monks don't get Flurry of Blows anyway, they don't really lose anything by wearing armor.

Acquire a Crown of Swords. Whenever someone hits you, the Crown summons a Spiritual Sword that attacks whoever hits you. So if your opponent misses, Snake Fang. If they hit, Crown of Swords.

Bodyguard is a nice feat to go with a Reach Weapon like yours. Some people say it doesn't go with Paired Opportunist, but by RAW I'm certain it does and can prove it to you if you like. Bodyguard gives you an Attack of Opportunity to Aid Another whenever an opponent attacks an ally. So between Snake Fang, Bodyguard, and Paired Opportunist, if your opponents attack you or anybody else, you get an AoO, and so do all your friends, then with Greater Trip and Vicious Stomp, when you hit them, you get 2 Attacks of Opportunity, and so does everybody else.

So if you attack them, everybody gets 2 AoOs. If they attack you and hit, Crown of Swords, if they miss you get an AoO, and so does everybody else. If they attack your allies, you get to protect them, and everybody else gets AoOs. I call this build damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The Kusarigama doesn't do very much damage. If you take 1 level in Warpriest along with Weapon Focus Kusarigama as your Warpriest Bonus Feat, your Kusarigama will do 1d6/1d6 instead of 1d2/1d4. If you choose as your Blessings Destruction and Earth, your Kusarigama will do +1 Damage +1d4 Acid Damage (on 1 end).

Since Kusarigama only crits on a 20, I am not sanguine about developing the Grapple Feature of the weapon. But were I to do that, I would take Improved Crit and wear Spiked Armor. Then with every Crit, you get a Free Grapple Attempt, and if your Grapple attempt is successful, you also do Armor Spike damage. If I were doing that, though, I might instead use a Spiked Chain and take the Hamatula Strike Feat, but you like your Kusarigama.

Hamatula Strike only works with piercing weapons. Snake Style makes your Unarmed Strikes Piercing, so if you followed my earlier advice to take Snake Fang to complement Tripping, Hamatula Strike might be worthwhile.

Great Cleave is worth considering. You have a Reach Weapon, and maybe Armor Spikes and/or Improved Unarmed Strike. You can then use Great Cleave to hit everybody both Adjacent to you and 10' away.

You could work in an awesome Grappling feature into your character at low cost that is absolutely devastating.

The Exchange

Cheaty way of "medium armor proficiency".

Select armor master one of your starting traits.

Buy a mithril breastplate. Profit!(You apply ACP to your attack rolls, but what if your ACP = 0)

Trip applies to more monsters and frankly I would take improved trip over improved disarm. You need combat expertise to qualify for improved trip.

Oh spiked armor helps threaten at 5 ft. (Yeah, I meant armor spikes).


That method is good for everything except Fighters.

I'd rather use my combat trait for Defender of the Society.

The Exchange

Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Stuff

That's alot to take in. I'll look into a few of the feats you suggested. I've never heard of viscious stomp, or fury's fall, or punishing kick at all.

I'm not looking to multiclass or eke every point of damage possible out of my weapon to be honest. But thank you for the suggestions.


Secret Wizard wrote:

That method is good for everything except Fighters.

I'd rather use my combat trait for Defender of the Society.

So you either spend a feat on Medium Armor Proficiency and a trait on Defender of the society for Mithril Breastplate that gives +7 to flatfooted AC and a -1 penalty to physical skill checks, or you spend a feat on Dodge and a trait on Armor Expert for Mithril Breastplate+Dodge that gives +6 to flatfooted AC and +1 touch AC and no penalty to physical skill checks. Unless you plan on moving into heavy armor eventually or want to be able to use non-mithril breastplate the Armor Expert route is better.


Jericho Graves wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Stuff

That's alot to take in. I'll look into a few of the feats you suggested. I've never heard of viscious stomp, or fury's fall, or punishing kick at all.

I'm not looking to multiclass or eke every point of damage possible out of my weapon to be honest. But thank you for the suggestions.

"A lot to take in" is kind of my thing. It's usually impossible to fit all of my suggestions into any one character. But you probably don't want me to design your character for you. I just want to be a resource.

I multiclass more than anybody I know. A lot of the time, you can get a lot out of taking just 1 level in something, and you don't have to sacrifice the flavor of your character.

I am totally all about eking every bit of damage out of my weapon.


Jericho Graves wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Stuff

That's alot to take in. I'll look into a few of the feats you suggested. I've never heard of viscious stomp, or fury's fall, or punishing kick at all.

I'm not looking to multiclass or eke every point of damage possible out of my weapon to be honest. But thank you for the suggestions.

Visit http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ and read all about those feats and everything Pathfinder.

The Exchange

Defender of the society is a PFS thing, his GM can choose not to allow it.

Also something people don't tell you about mithril breastplates. You still get to keep your 30 ft move speed!

Ah and here's the trippy guide.


I'm glad optimization is not something relevant; I'd rather not have to comb through all the Intelligence-based Fighter stuff right now...

Break Guard is a nice feat that you can get right away, which allows you to make an attack with your other weapon on a successful Disarm as a Swift Action. The problem then stems with how you would pull it off with a Kusarigama, which has a varying range of attacks; one has Reach, and the other is in Melee. This makes TWF seem almost impossible, unless you take a 5-foot step between your iterative sets, but then that can invalidate the usefulness of this feat unless you hit with your final iterative on one of your attacks. (Even then, later down the road you'd rather use your Swift Actions for Know Thy Enemy.)

With that said, I would not bother with TWF unless the GM allows you to use both the Ball and Sickle on adjacent enemies. As much fun as TWF is, you wouldn't be able to pull it off effectively when you have a weapon that has two means of attack, and both means of attack cannot be done.

Additionally, one would rule that you can't TWF with the Kusarigama, because it's technically one weapon, and as it's not a Double weapon, this means you would need another weapon to make it work.

Long story short: Ditch the idea of TWF. You can't pull it off with a single Kusarigama unless the GM says it's a Double weapon, because by the rules, unless a Two-Handed Weapon has the Double property, you can't TWF with it, because then you delve into the "hands" territory, and by RAI, it's not legal.


Armor Master is a regional trait (Inner Sea Primer) that you can take alongside the Defender of the Society combat trait (Faction Guide).

DO BOTH AND WIN


Picking up some of the Grapple tree could be very useful. Grappling is an excellent debuff, it shuts down spellcasters, and it gives you an option for taking foes alive. And grapple has no size limitations like trip, and there are very few foes that can't be grappled.

Downside: you need Improved Unarmed Strike. One possibility is to dip into Monk and take the Tetori archetype. You get unarmed strike and improved grapple for free, a big boost to all your saves, and some additional class skills. And since tetori trades out flurry, you don't have to forgo your armor to use your class abilities. (Maneuver Master is another archetype that might work with your build, but you'd have to get your GM's call on flurry of maneuvers.)

Right now, if the GM lets you use the kusarigama to grapple at reach, you could actually get by without improved grapple for a while.

The Exchange

Darksol the Painbringer wrote:

I'm glad optimization is not something relevant; I'd rather not have to comb through all the Intelligence-based Fighter stuff right now...

Break Guard is a nice feat that you can get right away, which allows you to make an attack with your other weapon on a successful Disarm as a Swift Action. The problem then stems with how you would pull it off with a Kusarigama, which has a varying range of attacks; one has Reach, and the other is in Melee. This makes TWF seem almost impossible, unless you take a 5-foot step between your iterative sets, but then that can invalidate the usefulness of this feat unless you hit with your final iterative on one of your attacks. (Even then, later down the road you'd rather use your Swift Actions for Know Thy Enemy.)

With that said, I would not bother with TWF unless the GM allows you to use both the Ball and Sickle on adjacent enemies. As much fun as TWF is, you wouldn't be able to pull it off effectively when you have a weapon that has two means of attack, and both means of attack cannot be done.

Additionally, one would rule that you can't TWF with the Kusarigama, because it's technically one weapon, and as it's not a Double weapon, this means you would need another weapon to make it work.

Long story short: Ditch the idea of TWF. You can't pull it off with a single Kusarigama unless the GM says it's a Double weapon, because by the rules, unless a Two-Handed Weapon has the Double property, you can't TWF with it, because then you delve into the "hands" territory, and by RAI, it's not legal.

In our copy of Ultimate Equipment, it is listed as a double weapon. One rule our GM has, is if you don't have a physical copy of a book, it probably isn't a rule at her table. So we can't use sources like PDFs, updated errata, or the SRD. In fact, if I wanted Fury's Fall I'd have to go find a physical copy of the cheliax book.

She won't let me use the ball end adjacently, however. But this I know, which is why I'm not going too deep into two weapon fighting. Mostly I'd be using it to attack someone at reach and adjacent at the same should the situation present itself.

But yes, in our version of Ultimate Equipment the Kusarigama is listed as double, monk, reach, trip, grapple, disarm

Her houserule simply clarifies which end has which quality. (She's actually pretty sure our copy is a misprint, as the Kusarigama is listed on the PRD as ONLY, double, monk, reach, trip, grapple, no Disarm quality.)


Why on earth did you put your free +2 into Constitution instead of Strength or Dexterity? I don't ask this from an optimization standpoint, but from one that sees waste of a non-renewable resource.

You could lower Str or Dex, put the +2 there, and have some more ability score points left over to get yourself additional hit points or skill points.

Shadow Lodge

A feat I like to use is Felling Smash from Ultimate Combat.


Ciaran Barnes wrote:

Why on earth did you put your free +2 into Constitution instead of Strength or Dexterity? I don't ask this from an optimization standpoint, but from one that sees waste of a non-renewable resource.

You could lower Str or Dex, put the +2 there, and have some more ability score points left over to get yourself additional hit points or skill points.

To expand on this, your stats look like this

STR - 16
DEX - 16
CON - 12+2=14
INT - 13
WIS - 10
CHA - 11

They could look like this, which is functionally identical, but at a lower point buy

STR - 14+2=16
DEX - 16
CON - 14
INT - 13
WIS - 10
CHA - 11

This buy is 2 points lower. You could boost Int by 1 or either Wis or Cha by 2 with the points you wasted.

FYI, you only put your +2 into your highest or second highest stat. If you do anything else ever, your point buy is sub-optimal and you could get the exact same stats and more if you fixed it..

Grand Lodge

Weapon focus is a must.

Whether you go with Combat maneuvers, power attacks, or most other combat tricks. Weapon Focus helps out tremendously.

I like trip, grapple and dirty trick combat maneuvers myself. Not all on one character mind you. But I feel I get the most out of those maneuvers.

I recommend going trip and grapple since the DM made the weapon have those properties.

Grapple works on most everything while trip is more situational but can generate extra attacks and be used in place of any attack. So that is good.


It's not point buy, they rolled stats guys. The OP said as much partway down the thread.


Ciaran Barnes wrote:

Why on earth did you put your free +2 into Constitution instead of Strength or Dexterity? I don't ask this from an optimization standpoint, but from one that sees waste of a non-renewable resource.

You could lower Str or Dex, put the +2 there, and have some more ability score points left over to get yourself additional hit points or skill points.

The OP said he rolled the stats, 3d6 - 5 sets, pick which one he wants. So he doesn't get the option to lower one stat in favor of another. Given his initial scores (16, 16, 13, 11, 10, 10) I don't see much else he could do with assigning his scores for the flavor of this character.


Fruian Thistlefoot wrote:

Weapon focus is a must.

Whether you go with Combat maneuvers, power attacks, or most other combat tricks. Weapon Focus helps out tremendously.

I like trip, grapple and dirty trick combat maneuvers myself. Not all on one character mind you. But I feel I get the most out of those maneuvers.

I recommend going trip and grapple since the DM made the weapon have those properties.

Grapple works on most everything while trip is more situational but can generate extra attacks and be used in place of any attack. So that is good.

Snowblind, see my above post... the OP cannot change his scores, only how they are arranged. It's not a 24 point buy, it's a randomly rolled set of scores.


OP, since your GM will not permit use of the Advance Class Guide, you will not be able to dip levels into Warpriest or Brawler as some have suggested. Several of the above feats are likely not available either. I do suggest you read the Ultimate Combat manual, particularly the feats chapter, and get some inspiration there.

Also once your Fighter gets Weapon Training, I suggest you put it into Chain Weapons. It will give you bonuses with your chosen ninja weapon and also give you bonuses with similar weapons like spiked chains, meteor hammers, and flails. A heavy flail is a marvelous weapon, often underestimated, and is probably far easier to find in most campaigns when it's time to pick up a good magic weapon.

Grand Lodge

Maveric28

What part of my post mention point buy?

You quoted me and not a damn thing in my post mentioned a point buy yet you make a snide snowblind comment.

Please clarify.


I think he quoted the wrong post as the Snowblind post above yours (that specific post in fact) mentions rearranging his stats with a different point buy.

The Exchange

Yes, it was not point buy, and as I already had a 16 Dex and 16 Str, I figured I might as well sure up my con a little at least.

Also I did not realize that weapon training for chain weapons was a thing. Thank you for pointing that out :).

Since I'm really trying to make a more control based character, I wanted to ask the forum's opinion on Combat Patrol?


Jericho Graves wrote:
Darksol the Painbringer wrote:

I'm glad optimization is not something relevant; I'd rather not have to comb through all the Intelligence-based Fighter stuff right now...

Break Guard is a nice feat that you can get right away, which allows you to make an attack with your other weapon on a successful Disarm as a Swift Action. The problem then stems with how you would pull it off with a Kusarigama, which has a varying range of attacks; one has Reach, and the other is in Melee. This makes TWF seem almost impossible, unless you take a 5-foot step between your iterative sets, but then that can invalidate the usefulness of this feat unless you hit with your final iterative on one of your attacks. (Even then, later down the road you'd rather use your Swift Actions for Know Thy Enemy.)

With that said, I would not bother with TWF unless the GM allows you to use both the Ball and Sickle on adjacent enemies. As much fun as TWF is, you wouldn't be able to pull it off effectively when you have a weapon that has two means of attack, and both means of attack cannot be done.

Additionally, one would rule that you can't TWF with the Kusarigama, because it's technically one weapon, and as it's not a Double weapon, this means you would need another weapon to make it work.

Long story short: Ditch the idea of TWF. You can't pull it off with a single Kusarigama unless the GM says it's a Double weapon, because by the rules, unless a Two-Handed Weapon has the Double property, you can't TWF with it, because then you delve into the "hands" territory, and by RAI, it's not legal.

In our copy of Ultimate Equipment, it is listed as a double weapon. One rule our GM has, is if you don't have a physical copy of a book, it probably isn't a rule at her table. So we can't use sources like PDFs, updated errata, or the SRD. In fact, if I wanted Fury's Fall I'd have to go find a physical copy of the...

That seems like a bit of a harsh rule. Is the PRD site a viable resource? Paizo staff themselves keep the rules updated on their official site, so it doesn't get any more by-the-book than that, and most of the time they're more up-to-date than printed-out books.

As to TWF, my big question is ultimately, does the GM allow the Kusarigama to work as a Double Weapon, or no? That's the key subject, and will determine whether TWF will even be possible for your build. Here's the essential rundown:

If it's not a Double Weapon, by the rules you could not TWF with it, as you would get 1.5x modifier to your attacks (and the "hands" FAQ would not allow it). This would also mean either side requires two hands to use at all times. In other words, you must have two hands if you are making attacks with either the Sickle or Ball, and neither can be used simultaneously (as that would, by RAW, require 4 hands to use). You would still get 1.5x Modifier to your damage though, since it is still a Two-Handed Weapon, so that's a bonus.

If it is a Double Weapon, then you can make attacks with each end alternately with a single hand (though if you are making attacks with only one given end, you still follow the above rules).

I would be sure to get this clarified right away from your GM, as to whether you can A. TWF with it (AKA it counts as a Double Weapon), and B. use an item like, say, Armor Spikes, and TWF with it while using a Kusarigama Sickle Two-Handed.

I don't know how A would work, but if A doesn't work, I'd double check B. Based on what you told me, your GM should allow B to work, since FAQ/Errata apparently does not fly at your table. (Which is fine.)

The Exchange

Darksol the Painbringer wrote:
Jericho Graves wrote:
Darksol the Painbringer wrote:

I'm glad optimization is not something relevant; I'd rather not have to comb through all the Intelligence-based Fighter stuff right now...

Break Guard is a nice feat that you can get right away, which allows you to make an attack with your other weapon on a successful Disarm as a Swift Action. The problem then stems with how you would pull it off with a Kusarigama, which has a varying range of attacks; one has Reach, and the other is in Melee. This makes TWF seem almost impossible, unless you take a 5-foot step between your iterative sets, but then that can invalidate the usefulness of this feat unless you hit with your final iterative on one of your attacks. (Even then, later down the road you'd rather use your Swift Actions for Know Thy Enemy.)

With that said, I would not bother with TWF unless the GM allows you to use both the Ball and Sickle on adjacent enemies. As much fun as TWF is, you wouldn't be able to pull it off effectively when you have a weapon that has two means of attack, and both means of attack cannot be done.

Additionally, one would rule that you can't TWF with the Kusarigama, because it's technically one weapon, and as it's not a Double weapon, this means you would need another weapon to make it work.

Long story short: Ditch the idea of TWF. You can't pull it off with a single Kusarigama unless the GM says it's a Double weapon, because by the rules, unless a Two-Handed Weapon has the Double property, you can't TWF with it, because then you delve into the "hands" territory, and by RAI, it's not legal.

In our copy of Ultimate Equipment, it is listed as a double weapon. One rule our GM has, is if you don't have a physical copy of a book, it probably isn't a rule at her table. So we can't use sources like PDFs, updated errata, or the SRD. In fact, if I wanted Fury's Fall I'd have
...

I'm really starting to think you have not read about the weapon yourself. Even on the PRD it's listed as a double weapon. Which means it is a double weapon. There's nothing here to state. Secondly, in our hard copy of the book, it's a double weapon. Again, I have to repeat. In our sources it's a double weapon. I don't know why you keep bringing this up after I already answered it. In the rules and RAW you keep talking about, it is a double weapon. The rules confusion comes from the Reach quality on most of the messageboards I've read.


Jericho Graves wrote:

Yes, it was not point buy, and as I already had a 16 Dex and 16 Str, I figured I might as well sure up my con a little at least.

Also I did not realize that weapon training for chain weapons was a thing. Thank you for pointing that out :).

Since I'm really trying to make a more control based character, I wanted to ask the forum's opinion on Combat Patrol?

Ah yes, the good old "Dice Rolls," the 2ED&D days are back. THAC0 still sucks though.

Fighters get Weapon Training for all sorts of weapons, my friend. These are defined as "Fighter Weapon Groups," which are labeled for the general kind of weapons that given weapons fall under. The Kusarigama falls under the Double Weapon (which is strange considering), Flail, and Monk Fighter Weapon Groups.

The bottom of this page tells you the list of all of the Fighter Weapon Groups, which can help you specialize in other weapons that you may want to use in case of emergencies (without losing too many benefits).

As for Combat Patrol, I personally dislike it. It requires BAB for it to be effective, it eats up your Full-Round Action (which can be used for Full-Attacking), and it can get you killed (you can Move to make your Attacks of Opportunity, and that still draws Attacks of Opportunities). In other words, it's like Xzibit heard you like traps. So he put a trap in your trap so you can spring it while you spring it.

The Exchange

Another thing about my playstyle is that I never put all my eggs into one basket. I might have a favored weapon but I tend to carry a variety of tools at all times because I'm from the days of old dungeon crawls.

My current weapon loadout:

Kusarigama
Longsword
Cestus (worn)
Chakram x10
Atlatl (atlatl darts x5)
Club
Dagger x2


I did read it. A long time ago. And it was confusing as hell. And I never looked at it again because it was so damn confusing and inoptimal. Re-reading it now, I'm glad they clarified it a bit.

I can see how the Reach part was confusing, since by the RAW, it would apply to both the Sickle and Ball. Ironically enough, it becomes a Reach TWF weapon, which is certainly pretty neat and unique. Unfortunately, it appears the Houserule kind of gives you the short end of the stick.

The Exchange

I think the houserule is quite reasonable, considering it's only ten feet of chain.

The Gm has also given me the ability to use either end at reach as a two-handed weapon.

And yes I can TWF with it.

The Exchange

Urmm...chakrams and darts are a little short ranged, you know. Is it against your religion to carry a good ol' fashioned longbow?

The Exchange

For right now, yes, because I can't afford a composite bow lol.


Jericho Graves wrote:
For right now, yes, because I can't afford a composite bow lol.

Well, you could carry a shortbow, and upgrade later. If you can't afford a shortbow, then use a Sling. Both are cheap options that increase your range.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Dot.

The Exchange

Scott Wilhelm wrote:
Jericho Graves wrote:
For right now, yes, because I can't afford a composite bow lol.
Well, you could carry a shortbow, and upgrade later. If you can't afford a shortbow, then use a Sling. Both are cheap options that increase your range.

A sling's range is no different than an atlatl, with the exception I can pick up the atlatl dart after it's used, saving money. My GM has us track ammo, rations, weight, etc.

Because you treat an atlatl dart as a javelin if you throw it without the atlatl itself, the GM says I can pick up the ammunition after firing as it's not destroyed. Plus, I think the chakram and atlatl give me a bit of "character" and difference from the common builds or cookie cutter equipment lists.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Fighter Advice All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.