PFS PSA: You can always choose to play an in-tier pregen.


Pathfinder Society

51 to 100 of 261 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
5/5 5/55/55/5

Nefreet wrote:


There is one coordinator in our area who stubbornly refuses to seat people with characters that are out of tier. The two encounters I've had with him involved bringing a level 9 to a subtier 5-6 game and bringing a level 5 to a subtier 1-2 game. He will insist you use a Pregen or he won't sit you.

So, people like that do exist. They're extreme, but if they're the only GM at that particular event, it's their way or no way.

The vast difference is that the ONLY reason to play the out of tier pregen is for *grunt grunt grunt* MORE POWER.

The reasons to play a particular out of level character include more power, i feel like playing this character, this is a rare chance to play this scenario and it involves my faction, i really think my character fits the theme of this scenario, i need to get this character out of the 1-5 range to catch up with the rest of the group, i need to be level 5 for the con game i signed up for....

and most importantly I cannot flip a switch and just make a level 4 version of a 7th level character to better fit the 3-4 party. You CAN do that with a pre gen.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

The Fox wrote:

If my first GM had said, "Sorry, I don't think gunslingers lead to a positive table experience; you need to play something else," then I might not have returned.

Edit: I hope you see my post as was intended—I'm mostly agreeing with what you said, TOZ.

I absolutely agree with you. It should never be 'gunslingers don't lead to a positive experience', it should be 'I asked you to let others shine the last time you played your gunslinger and you finished every fight before anyone else could act. Please play something different or leave'.

Silver Crusade

@BNW:

Example: "I want to play the 4th-level bloodrager pregen because I want to test drive the bloodcasting class feature."

The Exchange 5/5

The Fox wrote:

@BNW:

Example: "I want to play the 4th-level bloodrager pregen because I want to test drive the bloodcasting class feature."

and you need to do that in Library of the Lion with three 2nd level PCs (on a side note, at least you wont dominate the table!)?

;)

Silver Crusade

We GMs have plenty of opportunity to get into arguments with players during the game. Do we really need to make up new ways to get into arguments before the game even starts?

Venture-Agent, Utah—Provo aka Chess Pwn

Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
The Fox wrote:

If my first GM had said, "Sorry, I don't think gunslingers lead to a positive table experience; you need to play something else," then I might not have returned.

Edit: I hope you see my post as was intended—I'm mostly agreeing with what you said, TOZ.

I absolutely agree with you. It should never be 'gunslingers don't lead to a positive experience', it should be 'I asked you to let others shine the last time you played your gunslinger and you finished every fight before anyone else could act. Please play something different or leave'.

So, if I am understanding you correctly, you'd never let him play that Gunslinger again. Or he'd only be able to play it once every X sessions when you finally allow him another chance at it.

Shadow Lodge 5/5

The Fox wrote:
Do we really need to make up new ways to get into arguments before the game even starts?

You think this is a 'new' way?

Silver Crusade

nosig wrote:
The Fox wrote:

@BNW:

Example: "I want to play the 4th-level bloodrager pregen because I want to test drive the bloodcasting class feature."

and you need to do that in Library of the Lion with three 2nd level PCs (on a side note, at least you wont dominate the table!)

;)

I'm all for making suggestions to the players. I even stated so upthread. If a player came to my Library of the Lion table with a bloodrager (whether pregen or not), I would ask them if they were prepared to play a combat-light scenario. If they are okay with that, great! After all, the bloodrager is Charisma-based at least. ;)

Let's play and have fun!

Silver Crusade

TOZ wrote:
The Fox wrote:
Do we really need to make up new ways to get into arguments before the game even starts?
You think this is a 'new' way?

Touche.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Chess Pwn wrote:
So, if I am understanding you correctly, you'd never let him play that Gunslinger again. Or he'd only be able to play it once every X sessions when you finally allow him another chance at it.

"This is Bonekeep. Go nuts with that double-barreled hackbutt, the party needs all the help it can get."

5/5 5/55/55/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Fox wrote:

@BNW:

Example: "I want to play the 4th-level bloodrager pregen because I want to test drive the bloodcasting class feature."

If you're out of tier it doesn't make a very good test drive.

"WOW! These abilities make me hit every time and destroy everything in one hit!"

"Yeah, you're 4th level and hitting kobolds with a broom handle...

"Broom handle ability is overpowered!

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chess Pwn wrote:
Seth Gipson wrote:

"I want to play this character" when I suggest you could play the level 1 version instead (cause I bring pregens with me, too) sounds more like "Cause I want to be the center of attention at the table" than anything else. The rest of the table can live without that.

That said, read my last post. That clarifies it a bit.

(I had read your second post before responding, just was more precise to respond to the first)

So if I bring in a legal lv4 character and everyone else is lv1 and I have a level 1 character option you would kick me from playing if "I want to play my legal lv4 character" instead of the lv1 option?
It couldn't be that they wanted to be a better support to the party, or that they want to make sure the team doesn't die, or that they want to have more options of things to do that come in after lv1. Nope, if they are wanting to play a lv4 with lv1s then they could only "want to be the center of attention at the table"

And what about the opposite? Bringing a lv1 to a table of lv5s? will you kick me then too? for "wanting to play my lv1" instead of a different character? The reason for that is probably because they "want to be the center of attention at the table" too.

You should reread that post then, cause you obviously didnt see the differences in what I posted between the two main paragraphs.

If you show up with your own level 4 character, one that you have gotten 9 exp on and you built yourself, then no, I wouldnt boot you from the table. If you showed up with a level 4 PREGEN character and stubbornly refused to play anything except that PREGEN character at a table of level 1 characters, YES, I MIGHT boot you.

As far as people wanting to play a level 1 at a table of 5s, Id suggest a level 4 pregen, but aside from that, if they want to take the risk to their character, I wont stop them.

And again (like I said in the other post), there are exceptions to every rule.

The Exchange 5/5

The Fox wrote:
nosig wrote:
The Fox wrote:

@BNW:

Example: "I want to play the 4th-level bloodrager pregen because I want to test drive the bloodcasting class feature."

and you need to do that in Library of the Lion with three 2nd level PCs (on a side note, at least you wont dominate the table!)

;)

I'm all for making suggestions to the players. I even stated so upthread. If a player came to my Library of the Lion table with a bloodrager (whether pregen or not), I would ask them if they were prepared to play a combat-light scenario. If they are okay with that, great! After all, the bloodrager is Charisma-based at least. ;)

Let's play and have fun!

hay! sounds great!

I've got a game of Emerald Spire I Sunday afternoon, but I'm free Saturday (tomorrow)... what are we playing? (I've got a LOT of PC choices, but I'm open to running Iconics too...).

Where you at? is it going to be a long drive to get there?

Silver Crusade 5/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
The Fox wrote:

@BNW:

Example: "I want to play the 4th-level bloodrager pregen because I want to test drive the bloodcasting class feature."

If you're out of tier it doesn't make a very good test drive.

"WOW! These abilities make me hit every time and destroy everything in one hit!"

"Yeah, you're 4th level and hitting kobolds with a broom handle...

"Broom handle ability is overpowered!

I do okay with my broom - and for ranged I throw shoes!

wait, did you say "Kids" or "Kobolds"... my hearings not what it used to be you know...

Venture-Agent, Utah—Provo aka Chess Pwn

Seth Gipson wrote:
Chess Pwn wrote:
Seth Gipson wrote:

"I want to play this character" when I suggest you could play the level 1 version instead (cause I bring pregens with me, too) sounds more like "Cause I want to be the center of attention at the table" than anything else. The rest of the table can live without that.

That said, read my last post. That clarifies it a bit.

(I had read your second post before responding, just was more precise to respond to the first)

So if I bring in a legal lv4 character and everyone else is lv1 and I have a level 1 character option you would kick me from playing if "I want to play my legal lv4 character" instead of the lv1 option?
It couldn't be that they wanted to be a better support to the party, or that they want to make sure the team doesn't die, or that they want to have more options of things to do that come in after lv1. Nope, if they are wanting to play a lv4 with lv1s then they could only "want to be the center of attention at the table"

And what about the opposite? Bringing a lv1 to a table of lv5s? will you kick me then too? for "wanting to play my lv1" instead of a different character? The reason for that is probably because they "want to be the center of attention at the table" too.

You should reread that post then, cause you obviously didnt see the differences in what I posted between the two main paragraphs.

If you show up with your own level 4 character, one that you have gotten 9 exp on and you built yourself, then no, I wouldnt boot you from the table. If you showed up with a level 4 PREGEN character and stubbornly refused to play anything except that PREGEN character at a table of level 1 characters, YES, I MIGHT boot you.

As far as people wanting to play a level 1 at a table of 5s, Id suggest a level 4 pregen, but aside from that, if they want to take the risk to their character, I wont stop them.

And again (like I said in the other post), there are exceptions to every rule.

Why is there a difference between one legal character and another? If I bring a lv4 while a lv1 option is available it's fine if one lv4 is more "personal" and it's not fine if the other is a pregen? So you'd let the guy play a lv1 pregen instead of the lv4 just because they might die? Or were you expecting a personal lv1 character?

Would you care to explain the RULE and then the guidelines or rules for the exceptions? I feel you're going to say the rule is if it's a personally made character. but other than that I don't know your position

5/5

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Steven Schopmeyer wrote:
"This is Bonekeep. Go nuts with that double-barreled hackbutt, the party needs all the help it can get."

Heh, you said "butt."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Nefreet wrote:


There is one coordinator in our area who stubbornly refuses to seat people with characters that are out of tier. The two encounters I've had with him involved bringing a level 9 to a subtier 5-6 game and bringing a level 5 to a subtier 1-2 game. He will insist you use a Pregen or he won't sit you.

So, people like that do exist. They're extreme, but if they're the only GM at that particular event, it's their way or no way.

The vast difference is that the ONLY reason to play the out of tier pregen is for *grunt grunt grunt* MORE POWER.

The reasons to play a particular out of level character include more power, i feel like playing this character, this is a rare chance to play this scenario and it involves my faction, i really think my character fits the theme of this scenario, i need to get this character out of the 1-5 range to catch up with the rest of the group, i need to be level 5 for the con game i signed up for....

and most importantly I cannot flip a switch and just make a level 4 version of a 7th level character to better fit the 3-4 party. You CAN do that with a pre gen.

Or perhaps, "My 3rd level paladin isn't going to work well with this part of necromancers, (or vice versa), but I'd rather apply the credit to him than have to apply it to a new 1st level character".

5/5 5/55/55/5

thejeff wrote:
Or perhaps, "My 3rd level paladin isn't going to work well with this part of necromancers, (or vice versa), but I'd rather apply the credit to him than have to apply it to a new 1st level character".

I don't think that works. You can't apply the pregen credit to someone that could have legally played the table at the time.


thejeff wrote:
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Nefreet wrote:


There is one coordinator in our area who stubbornly refuses to seat people with characters that are out of tier. The two encounters I've had with him involved bringing a level 9 to a subtier 5-6 game and bringing a level 5 to a subtier 1-2 game. He will insist you use a Pregen or he won't sit you.

So, people like that do exist. They're extreme, but if they're the only GM at that particular event, it's their way or no way.

The vast difference is that the ONLY reason to play the out of tier pregen is for *grunt grunt grunt* MORE POWER.

The reasons to play a particular out of level character include more power, i feel like playing this character, this is a rare chance to play this scenario and it involves my faction, i really think my character fits the theme of this scenario, i need to get this character out of the 1-5 range to catch up with the rest of the group, i need to be level 5 for the con game i signed up for....

and most importantly I cannot flip a switch and just make a level 4 version of a 7th level character to better fit the 3-4 party. You CAN do that with a pre gen.

Or perhaps, "My 3rd level paladin isn't going to work well with this part of necromancers, (or vice versa), but I'd rather apply the credit to him than have to apply it to a new 1st level character".

This was what I was going to bring up. After all the threads on "Don't be a Jerk" "Don't play a character that might be disruptive" What if its local game day. My only in range personal character is a Necromancer, one of the other guys is playing a Pharasman. If I choose to play a Pregen to not cause a fight shouldn't I at least get to apply credit to the character I had planned on playing?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Or perhaps, "My 3rd level paladin isn't going to work well with this part of necromancers, (or vice versa), but I'd rather apply the credit to him than have to apply it to a new 1st level character".
I don't think that works. You can't apply the pregen credit to someone that could have legally played the table at the time.

That was the point of this thread. :)

Quote:
If you play a non-1st-level pregenerated character, you choose one of your characters to assign the chronicle to at the end of adventure, and then apply the credit to your character as soon as she reaches the level of the pregenerated character played. You may not assign a Chronicle sheet earned with a pregenerated character to a character that was already at the level of the pregenerated character or higher.

You couldn't apply it to a 4th level PC, but any lower than that is acceptable.

51 to 100 of 261 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / PFS PSA: You can always choose to play an in-tier pregen. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.