Fire as She Bears and KUG


Product Discussion

Sovereign Court Contributor

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Just moving the thread over here as promised, as these products-in-the-works, are now separate and distinct from their Sinister roots.

Damon Griffin wrote:

Repeating this part of my previous post as it got lost in the shuffle. If there's someplace else I can go to read about it myself, just point me there --

I wasn't previously aware of it but this KUG thing, specifically a Pathfinder edition thereof, sounds like it could be very cool. Is it "near future/near space" (say within 50 LY) or does it cover a significant portion of the galaxy? Does it reference actual nearby stars appropriately or jump straight out to unknown reaches, in the manner of Star Trek, Babylon 5 and indeed most SF TV series? I confess I would prefer a "near space" grounding though not have the setting limited to that.

Oops - sorry to miss this in the shuffle. The KUG is sandbox space opera/space horror with a drizzle of both cyberpunk and the truly alien. It's set in its own corner of the universe. Sorry, but its not near future/near space. It is, however, grounded in hard science and set in a barred spiral galaxy. Technology has been set so that as you tool between the inhabited zone (an area centered on a barbell shaped zone at the galactic core) and the frontier (a cubic region enclosing the barbell) travel times are roughly equivalent to Age of Sail travel times.

Venturing beyond the frontier to the tip of one of the two unexplored galactic arms and back might take a decade, round trip -- and no one lives who has ever done so. No one credible. After all who believes that crazy old ancient mariner with the funny black alien tentacle leaking from the back of his head?

The farther one ventures from the civilized bar at galactic core, the stranger and less predictable the cold void grows.


Louis Agresta wrote:

The KUG is sandbox space opera/space horror with a drizzle of both cyberpunk and the truly alien. It's set in its own corner of the universe. Sorry, but its not near future/near space. It is, however, grounded in hard science and set in a barred spiral galaxy. Technology has been set so that as you tool between the inhabited zone (an area centered on a barbell shaped zone at the galactic core) and the frontier (a cubic region enclosing the barbell) travel times are roughly equivalent to Age of Sail travel times.

Venturing beyond the frontier to the tip of one of the two unexplored galactic arms and back might take a decade, round trip -- and no one lives who has ever done so. No one credible. After all who believes that crazy old ancient mariner with the funny black alien tentacle leaking from the back of his head?

The farther one ventures from the civilized bar at galactic core, the stranger and less predictable the cold void grows.

Sound like my kind of galaxy! Color me interested!

Dark Archive

So is it out yet? :)

Sovereign Court Contributor

Dark_Mistress wrote:
So is it out yet? :)

LOL!

No. :p

Fire as She Bears is first. Then I have to set up a website, etc. Then the KUG.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Louis Agresta wrote:


Fire as She Bears is first. Then I have to set up a website, etc. Then the KUG.

I am excited to see something good come of the RC stuff as I thought it was a great idea when mentioned on the Sinster forums. =)

Looking forward to it and will be picking it up ASAP when it's out.

Dark Archive

Looking forward to KUG.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

I am totally on board for both projects.


Kudos on having these projects see the light of day Louis.


Yeah. I'm in for KUG. You guys doing any adventures to go with it?
M

Sovereign Court Contributor

Thanks, everyone. It'll be a while, still, before they are available but I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the encouragement and support.

@mearrin69 - As for adventures? It's hard to say just now. If the response to the KUG is solid, if there is an audience for follow on product, and the writers among the Cabbages are interested? Sure - I'd love to do that. Just can't say right now.

The good news is the writers on the KUG are prolific, and I'm betting we can get 'em going again if you out there in Paizo land like the product enough to want more. No promises, but I got a feeling...

>:^)

Dark Archive

Mr. Lou Agresta, you sir are as always, a gentleman, a scholar, and a horrible World War II tank commander.

;-)

Sovereign Court Contributor

baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Mr. Lou Agresta, you sir are as always, a gentleman, a scholar, and a horrible World War II tank commander.

;-)

*shakes fist* Oooh! I am so going to stuff my treads up your Panzer's undercarriage next Gen Con, Baron!


Can't wait for Fire As She Bears!

Sovereign Court Contributor

Fire as She Bears is gonna rock. I'm very excited! I'm on development this month, then playtesting, then its all yours!


I mentioned it on Facebook, but I'll reaffirm it here too: I'm definitely on board for KUG. Bring us the goods, the Pimp In Orange. :)


I'm ecstatic to hear that the KUG is back on track. Honestly, it was the thing I most wanted to see released out of all the previously-announced projects. I have one question: is there any chance of seeing a Savage Worlds version as well?


Count me in! Fasb will be made of awesome and win. :)

Sovereign Court Contributor

Thanks, everyone!

FaSB is tricky, organizationally. The piece needs to communicate with the clarity of a good board game manual for the tactical combat bits, while remaining a fist-pumping, blood and cannon blast RPG supplement. Grrr. Tougher going than I thought, but I'm making progress. I've got my hip-high pirate waders on top of my orange tux, a flintlock in both hands, and my Jolly Roger swinging away! Look for more detailed updates on RPG Aggression by the end of the week or so.

KUG as Savage Worlds -- hmmmm. I also love me some FATE. It's really all about demand. Among other things, for every system I'll have to pay someone to do the conversion, redo the layout, etc. etc. If there is enough interest to support that so I'm not out of pocket? Sure, why not?

However, I don't have a plan to do so at this time. I'm contemplating running some polls after FaSB to see what systems (besides some flavor of Pathfinder Modern) folks want for the KUG.

Wish I had a better answer, just now, but broadsides and boarding parties are calling me...

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Louis Agresta wrote:

I'm contemplating running some polls after FaSB to see what systems (besides some flavor of Pathfinder Modern) folks want for the KUG.

Ooh, Alternity!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Mr. Lou Agresta, you sir are as always, a gentleman, a scholar, and a horrible World War II tank commander.

;-)

Louis Agresta wrote:
*shakes fist* Oooh! I am so going to stuff my treads up your Panzer's undercarriage next Gen Con, Baron!

Snoopy: "Some day I'll get you, Red Baron!" :D

(Sorry about the off-topic remark, but I couldn't resist it.)

Sovereign Court Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Snoopy vs. The Red Baron was one of my absolute favorite record albums as a child. I memorized both songs about their epic sky duel and can sing them (off-key) to this day. "10-20-30-40-50 or more, the Bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score! 80 men died trying to end that spree, of the Bloody Red Baron of Germany..." It included such memorable hits as "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"

Never. I mean NEVER apologize for Snoopy and the Red Baron. :)

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

I am also interested in KUG, I will be watching this thread with interest.

And, thanks, Lou, now I have Snoopy and the Red Baron stuck in my head.

Sovereign Court Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I originally posted this in the wrong spot. :/

Hey all, been dark on this for a bit and feel its overdue for an update. Here's the skinny: everything is as previously discussed except its taking longer than expected.

The FaSB manuscript was not sent to me in the condition I'd hoped, and I spent a lot of cycles cleaning it up. Then I decided it was just taking too long and decided to hire some help and divvy up the labor. So now I've got someone special working on FasB, which frees me to turn my attention to finishing The KUG.

The KUG ran into a snag when one of the authors informed me they'd taken their intellectual property and moved onto to other things with it. The author had some darn cool stuff that I didn't want to lose, so we took a bit hashing out a licensing agreement that lets his work remain in the KUG. Phew. Disaster averted.

Finally I confirmed that I have a spectacular, award-winning layout artist willing to dedicate her time to these projects. That's a relief.

Still not ready to offer time frames, but when I do I'll offer them here.

Summary:

1. Hired help with whom to divvy up the labor
2. Ironed out a licensing deal for KUG content
3. Secured layout commitments
4. Am turning my brain to the last bits of the KUG as editor and writer, both.

A few questions for the community:
1. Anyone know a good cartographer for star maps?
2. The KUG has a lot of material. Enough to separate out a small bestiary. Alienary? Would people prefer to see monsters and aliens (defined as sentient and non-sentient, respectively) in their own little book are as part of the setting book? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

More updates when I have 'em.

UPDATE: On the great suggestion smack-your-head suggestion of mdt, I;m going to hit the NBOS boards and try to find an Astrosynthesis expert. Then pay them money to make maps and other cool stuff.


As part of the setting! Just divvy up the core beasties from the unfathomable depths of outer space from the gravy and set the extras asideas aside as part of a future KUG: Horrors From Beyond!

Sovereign Court Contributor

sanwah68 wrote:

I am also interested in KUG, I will be watching this thread with interest.

And, thanks, Lou, now I have Snoopy and the Red Baron stuck in my head.

"He flew into the sky just to seek revenge, but the Baron shot him down just 4 miles and then..."

Mwahahahaha!

Liberty's Edge

Louis Agresta wrote:
ancient mariner

Interesting.

Does the setting include magic or is it all tech?

Sovereign Court Contributor

Hey ShadowcatX,

It's all tech. No magic. The writer's talked about a supplement to add magic, as that would be relatively straightforward.

When I actually get the thing out the door, and if people like the KUG, maybe we'll do that.

Way too soon in the game to talk plans or promises, though.

Lou


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Regarding the setting and the bestiary, what you ought to do is have a couple samples in the setting book and if people like it enough, they'll pick up the bestiary separately.

But if you have both of two books available concurrently, you can price it just right to offer a package deal if someone picks up both on the same purchase.

You've been aware of my interest in KUG. I'll eat ramen for a month if necessary. Ha!


After glancing over the summaries and information provided about these projects, I'm interested in both, so count me amongst your potential market.

On whether to separate out a bestiary/alienary, it all depends on the cost to monster ratio. If it's a decent sized offering with a reasonable price, then perhaps some customers will initially purchase only the alienary for their own games/setting and be introduced to the KUG setting that way, etc.

Also the acronym KUG has a certain (odd) ring to it. I would like to see it worked into the final name of the setting line somehow. Reminds me of TORG (The Other Roleplaying Game) and Thedas (THE Dragon Age Setting).

Dark Archive

Louis Agresta wrote:

Snoopy vs. The Red Baron was one of my absolute favorite record albums as a child. I memorized both songs about their epic sky duel and can sing them (off-key) to this day. "10-20-30-40-50 or more, the Bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score! 80 men died trying to end that spree, of the Bloody Red Baron of Germany..." It included such memorable hits as "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"

Never. I mean NEVER apologize for Snoopy and the Red Baron. :)

I think I almost drove me mom nuts with "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"

Sovereign Court Contributor

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Louis Agresta wrote:

Snoopy vs. The Red Baron was one of my absolute favorite record albums as a child. I memorized both songs about their epic sky duel and can sing them (off-key) to this day. "10-20-30-40-50 or more, the Bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score! 80 men died trying to end that spree, of the Bloody Red Baron of Germany..." It included such memorable hits as "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"

Never. I mean NEVER apologize for Snoopy and the Red Baron. :)

I think I almost drove me mom nuts with "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"

Huh, I want that for my daughter now... Awesome album. Not on CD, weirdly...

Sovereign Court Contributor

Jeff, let me know if you find it somewhere. I'll try and check itunes tomorrow. Now that you mention it I definitely want to pass this on to my own little ones.

Sovereign Court Contributor

It's the Peter Pan Records version. The Royal Guardsmen recorded the original, but the Peter Pan one is the one with Tie Me Down Kangaroo. It looks like the Royal Guardsman version is available on itunes, I was just trying to find both songs. The Tie Me Down Kangaroo Sport (Rolf Harris) song is available too. So one could make one's own compilations...
Heh, it's not like my 2 year old doesn't already know how to use an ipod...

Sovereign Court

I definitely want these books.

Sovereign Court Contributor

Is "Fire as she bears" likely to blend well with the Naval combat rules in the Skull & Shackles Player's Guide?

(originally posted on wrong thread)

Sovereign Court Contributor

Hey Jeff,

That is a new wrinkle. I'm going to ask the freelancer I just hired for FaSB to take a look at that and see if we can make it possible. Even if we just create a sidebar on how to synthesize them, I'd like to see that.

So, that's a solid maybe. :)


dotted

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Product Discussion / Fire as She Bears and KUG All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Product Discussion