Do oceans count as "running water" to Vampires?


Rules Questions


Topic.

Does dropping a vampire in the ocean cost him 1/3rd of his HP per round, or not?


Yes.


I agree. It would count as running water.


When you realize that the oceans are always in motion, what with the tides themselves as well as ocean currents (e.g. the Gulf Stream), I'd say the oceans count as running water.

Grand Lodge

Lathiira wrote:
I'd say the oceans count as running water.

Though traditionally, a vampire could cross at high or low tide, which was one of the traditional myths used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

Also, while a vampire could not cross running water by themselves, they could be carried over running water in a boat or over a bridge. This too was a traditional myth used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

[/end threadjack]


Digitalelf wrote:
Lathiira wrote:
I'd say the oceans count as running water.

Though traditionally, a vampire could cross at high or low tide, which was one of the traditional myths used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

Also, while a vampire could not cross running water by themselves, they could be carried over running water in a boat or over a bridge. This too was a traditional myth used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

[/end threadjack]

This would still apply IMO. At least, being carried over. Too bad ocean currents are found throughout the oceans; they have played major roles in the discovery of various lands in the real world as well as having major effects on climate.


Digitalelf wrote:
Lathiira wrote:
I'd say the oceans count as running water.

Though traditionally, a vampire could cross at high or low tide, which was one of the traditional myths used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

Also, while a vampire could not cross running water by themselves, they could be carried over running water in a boat or over a bridge. This too was a traditional myth used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

[/end threadjack]

+1. Dracula had serious problems traveling on a ship, but that's the way he went to London and back.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Bardess wrote:
Digitalelf wrote:
Lathiira wrote:
I'd say the oceans count as running water.

Though traditionally, a vampire could cross at high or low tide, which was one of the traditional myths used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

Also, while a vampire could not cross running water by themselves, they could be carried over running water in a boat or over a bridge. This too was a traditional myth used by Bram Stoker in Dracula...

[/end threadjack]

+1. Dracula had serious problems traveling on a ship, but that's the way he went to London and back.

It was why he forced the crew to run aground. But then again he was so powerful as a vampire he could do funky stuff even confined to his coffin. Or there was just that much evil about him that he attracted malign events and hauntings.


Lathiira wrote:


This would still apply IMO. At least, being carried over. Too bad ocean currents are found throughout the oceans; they have played major roles in the discovery of various lands in the real world as well as having major effects on climate.

Not really an issue in Pathfinder though since Vampires are only effected by running water if they're submerged in it.

Inability to cross it is not actually one of their weaknesses. So being on a boat is no difficulty for them.

I was just wondering if the ocean was basically lava to vampires in pathfinder and the consensus seems to be that it is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Do note that a vampire with a natural Swim speed doesn't take any damage from being in the water though. From the PRD section on vampires, "Speed: Same as the base creature. If the base creature has a swim speed, the vampire is not unduly harmed by running water."

Fear the boggard vampire, Count Frogula!!! I had a thread a few weeks ago where I was trying to figure out what happens if a vampire (let's presume it is one with a Swim speed) gets forced into Gaseous Form underwater. Creatures in Gaseous Form can't enter water, but what if they're already in water? I think there's no clear rules answer.


Devilkiller wrote:

Do note that a vampire with a natural Swim speed doesn't take any damage from being in the water though. From the PRD section on vampires, "Speed: Same as the base creature. If the base creature has a swim speed, the vampire is not unduly harmed by running water."

Fear the boggard vampire, Count Frogula!!!

Holy crap, that is a crazy coincidence since that's exactly what happened. We had a boggard get turned into a Vampire this week and I was wondering if his days in the water were done.

Well, that managed to perfectly answer my question. Thank you.


Devilkiller wrote:
Creatures in Gaseous Form can't enter water, but what if they're already in water? I think there's no clear rules answer.

I would think they just 'float' to the surface at maximum speed during their turn. No other action possible until they surface.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
DarthEnder wrote:
Devilkiller wrote:
Fear the boggard vampire, Count Frogula!!!
Holy crap, that is a crazy coincidence since that's exactly what happened. We had a boggard get turned into a Vampire this week and I was wondering if his days in the water were done.

In my experience I find that people's roleplaying games often aren't as original as the involved roleplayers think.


Mermaid vampires. I want to do it so bad (No, I didn't see that Pirates of the Caribbean, but I heard about it).


Ravingdork wrote:
DarthEnder wrote:
Devilkiller wrote:
Fear the boggard vampire, Count Frogula!!!
Holy crap, that is a crazy coincidence since that's exactly what happened. We had a boggard get turned into a Vampire this week and I was wondering if his days in the water were done.
In my experience I find that people's roleplaying games often aren't as original as the involved roleplayers think.

Ravingdork:
I have been waiting for you to show up. I must thank you. I used one of your extreme post to prove a valid point in a debate recently.

I am being serious, and not just messing with you. It was the post where you noted by RAW people can't see the sun due to the penalties on perception every 10 feet.
It was this post.


wraithstrike wrote:


It was the post where you noted by RAW people can't see the sun due to the penalties on perception every 10 feet.

I'm not sure that's actually true though, the sun's size modifier would likely negate any range modifier.


Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
DarthEnder wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:


It was the post where you noted by RAW people can't see the sun due to the penalties on perception every 10 feet.
I'm not sure that's actually true though, the sun's size modifier would likely negate any range modifier.

To my knowledge, there is nothing larger than colossal in Pathfinder.


This again?

Go outside and point directly at the sun. Chances are, you missed. You missed by eight minutes, approximately.

Is the -1 per 10 feet perception penalty appropriate for representing the lag due to the speed of light over large distances? :P

Shadow Lodge

"What do you mean? The sun is the sun! I can see where it is!"


You mean you can see where it was... your god lied to you :P still, perception checks are to see/hear/smell/taste/feel something... it doesn't matter when or where it happened, only that you noticed thereafter... so no, just because the sun isn't any longer where it was when it emitted light that you are now seeing doesn't make the -1 per 10 ft penalty appropriate.

Shadow Lodge

Someone failed his Knowledge: Movies check. :P

Liberty's Edge

TOZ wrote:
"What do you mean? The sun is the sun! I can see where it is!"

"Where it was, pipsqueak!"

Still waiting for the DVD...


Awww damn! I forgot to invest ranks ><

Shadow Lodge

Pygon wrote:
TOZ wrote:
"What do you mean? The sun is the sun! I can see where it is!"

"Where it was, pipsqueak!"

Still waiting for the DVD...

As your reward, wait no longer!

Liberty's Edge

Hmm, so it was released 2 years ago. Guess my search skills or frequency weren't up to par.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

I removed a post and the replies to it. Don't post angry.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Do oceans count as "running water" to Vampires? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.