Inner Sea Magic (Reference / errata)


Lost Omens Products

1 to 50 of 51 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Just noticed this.

On p. 5, Aram Zey is listed as being Taldan, while p. 11 of Seekers of Secrets lists him as being Keleshite. Which one is correct?

Many thanks,

The Scribe

Paizo Employee Creative Director

PFWiki Scribe wrote:

Just noticed this.

On p. 5, Aram Zey is listed as being Taldan, while p. 11 of Seekers of Secrets lists him as being Keleshite. Which one is correct?

Many thanks,

The Scribe

Oops... looks like that slipped through our continuity controls. The problem is that Aram Zey's illustration in Seekers of Secrets makes him look more like a Taldan than a Keleshite, alas.

My gut feeling is that he should be ret-conned into Taldan, to match his art, but I suppose if you kind of squint that art COULD pass for Keleshite...

Without input from Mark, though, I'm hesitant to say which one it should be.


James Jacobs wrote:

Oops... looks like that slipped through our continuity controls. The problem is that Aram Zey's illustration in Seekers of Secrets makes him look more like a Taldan than a Keleshite, alas.

My gut feeling is that he should be ret-conned into Taldan, to match his art, but I suppose if you kind of squint that art COULD pass for Keleshite...

Without input from Mark, though, I'm hesitant to say which one it should be.

As far as I've been able to tell, "Seekers of Secrets" is the only place he is referred to as Keleshite. All the other sources simply remark on his less-than-congenial demeanor.

While we are on that list, Jakalyn, leader of the Red Mantis is referred to on p. 40 of the "Faction Guide" as a rogue 4/fighter 1/Red Mantis assassin 7, but in this book is a cleric 9/Red Mantis assassin 10+. Is that a retcon? I understand when people who develop through an Adventure Path and brought back to their original levels, but Jakalyn does not seem to fall under this group.


James Jacobs wrote:
PFWiki Scribe wrote:

Just noticed this.

On p. 5, Aram Zey is listed as being Taldan, while p. 11 of Seekers of Secrets lists him as being Keleshite. Which one is correct?

Many thanks,

The Scribe

Oops... looks like that slipped through our continuity controls. The problem is that Aram Zey's illustration in Seekers of Secrets makes him look more like a Taldan than a Keleshite, alas.

My gut feeling is that he should be ret-conned into Taldan, to match his art, but I suppose if you kind of squint that art COULD pass for Keleshite...

Without input from Mark, though, I'm hesitant to say which one it should be.

I'd say that if he's from Absalom, it's possible that his ethnicity is possibly just a matter of personal choice. I've certainly got a friend or two whose children could pass for "Swedish" but who identifies themselves as Lebanese- or Kurdo-swedes, on account of being close to that side of their family. And then there's my brother's all team-mate, Andreas: Dark skin, dark hair, brown eyes, but Swedish through and through.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that ethnicity has a lot more to do with who your on-site parents - natural or other - are, than who your birth-parents may be.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

PFWiki Scribe wrote:
While we are on that list, Jakalyn, leader of the Red Mantis is referred to on p. 40 of the "Faction Guide" as a rogue 4/fighter 1/Red Mantis assassin 7, but in this book is a cleric 9/Red Mantis assassin 10+. Is that a retcon? I understand when people who develop through an Adventure Path and brought back to their original levels, but Jakalyn does not seem to fall under this group.

The Faction Guide is 100% incorrect, and I'm glad I was able to fix that error.

The concept that the leader of a group that has its own prestige class isn't the highest level you can attain in that prestige class is bizarre, to put it diplomatically.

Several of our earlier books (particularly the NPC Guide and the Faction Guide) were far too hesitant to embrace the fact that there ARE high level characters in Golarion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Just spoke to Mark and confirmed that Aram Zey doesn't play a huge role in the PFS and all that... so my inclination is to say that he's Taldan, since that's his ethnicity in the most recent book, and thus the one folks are most likely to notice him in.


Here's another question. Karzoug is listed on p. 6 as being a transmuter 20. All the other runelords listed in this group (Alaznist, Sorshen, and Xanderghul) are all listed as being 20+ level. I know that Karzoug's level is probably because of his stats listed in Spires of Xin-Shalast, but come on, where is the love of Karzoug? Has the Master of Greed become the red-haired stepchild of the Runelord family?


Here might be chapter 2 of the retconning of Seekers of Secrets. On page 7 of the Inner Sea Guide, Koriah Azmeren is clearly a lovely, tattooed half-elf WOMAN. On p. 27 of Seekers of Secrets (in the entry on 4242 AR), Koriah's triumphant return from the Darklands is described as "Afterward he returns to Absalom ..." Was this a typo, or have I found Golarion's first documented half-elf transgender person?

Grand Lodge

PFWiki Scribe wrote:
Here's another question. Karzoug is listed on p. 6 as being a transmuter 20. All the other runelords listed in this group (Alaznist, Sorshen, and Xanderghul) are all listed as being 20+ level. I know that Karzoug's level is probably because of his stats listed in Spires of Xin-Shalast, but come on, where is the love of Karzoug? Has the Master of Greed become the red-haired stepchild of the Runelord family?

It has been no secret, and mentioned a couple of times before by James Jacobs that Karzoug was the 3rd strongest of the Thassilonian Runelords. Strongest was Xanderghul, followed by Alaznist, then Karzoug. He is still stronger than 4 others... but greed is not greed without someone else that has more.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

PFWiki Scribe wrote:
Here's another question. Karzoug is listed on p. 6 as being a transmuter 20. All the other runelords listed in this group (Alaznist, Sorshen, and Xanderghul) are all listed as being 20+ level. I know that Karzoug's level is probably because of his stats listed in Spires of Xin-Shalast, but come on, where is the love of Karzoug? Has the Master of Greed become the red-haired stepchild of the Runelord family?

Karzoug has always been intended to be the midpoint of the runelords, with three more powerful and three less powerful. Furthermore, he's the only runelord we've statted up, so his level was ALREADY set at 20th.

Being 20th level is hardly being a red-haired stepchild, in any event.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

PFWiki Scribe wrote:
Here might be chapter 2 of the retconning of Seekers of Secrets. On page 7 of the Inner Sea Guide, Koriah Azmeren is clearly a lovely, tattooed half-elf WOMAN. On p. 27 of Seekers of Secrets (in the entry on 4242 AR), Koriah's triumphant return from the Darklands is described as "Afterward he returns to Absalom ..." Was this a typo, or have I found Golarion's first documented half-elf transgender person?

Koriah is a woman and always has been since she was first introduced in "Into the Darklands." The reference of her being a "he" in Seekers of Secrets was a typo.


The Chelish Diva bard archetype (by the way, THANK YOU SO MUCH PAIZO!! My tiefling opera singing bard, my favorite character ever, that has just reached level 10 was dying for this archetype. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!). On page 33 it mentions that the Prima Donna ability allows him to spend more rounds of bardic performance to increase the DC of scathing tirade, amongst others. Problem is, scathing tirade has does not have a save. Am I right in presuming that this is incorrect and that it does?

Another thing, is Devastating Aria sonic damage or just "regular" damage, and thus subject to damage reduction?

EDIT: I am also presuming that, unlike most bardic performances, you cannot "sustain" devastating aria to do 1d4+bard level (1/2 on to living creatures) as a free action every round?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ThatEvilGuy wrote:

The Chelish Diva bard archetype (by the way, THANK YOU SO MUCH PAIZO!! My tiefling opera singing bard, my favorite character ever, that has just reached level 10 was dying for this archetype. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!). On page 33 it mentions that the Prima Donna ability allows him to spend more rounds of bardic performance to increase the DC of scathing tirade, amongst others. Problem is, scathing tirade has does not have a save. Am I right in presuming that this is incorrect and that it does?

Another thing, is Devastating Aria sonic damage or just "regular" damage, and thus subject to damage reduction?

EDIT: I am also presuming that, unlike most bardic performances, you cannot "sustain" devastating aria to do 1d4+bard level (1/2 on to living creatures) as a free action every round?

Scathing Tirade should indeed be allowed a saving throw to resist its effects, equal to the saving throw to resist all bardic performance effects.

Devastating Aria does sonic damage.

You have to use a standard action to direct the burst of sonic energy with Devastating Aria.


James Jacobs wrote:


Scathing Tirade should indeed be allowed a saving throw to resist its effects, equal to the saving throw to resist all bardic performance effects.

Devastating Aria does sonic damage.

You have to use a standard action to direct the burst of sonic energy with Devastating Aria.

Thanks! Answered just in time. Combat about to begin!


Speaking of the Chelish Diva. Who would be the best "iconic" for this archetype: Shensen or Visbaronetess* Delour Aulamaxa

*Use that title a lot. I'm pretty sure every herald in existence through the entire history of the world winces every time.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:

Speaking of the Chelish Diva. Who would be the best "iconic" for this archetype: Shensen or Visbaronetess* Delour Aulamaxa

*Use that title a lot. I'm pretty sure every herald in existence through the entire history of the world winces every time.

Delour would probably be the iconic there. Shensen is the iconic Dawnflower Dervish (That's the archetype I'm using in Erik Mona's game that he just started, in which I built Shensen as a 1st level character).

Had I been feeling particularly cheeky, I would have rigged it so Shensen could take both archetypes... Heh.


I've noticed that the articles on fleshwarping and the fleshforges refer to the city of Oenopion in Nex. Although that city is known for its alchemists, I can only find references to fleshforges existing in the city of Ecanus from other sources (see Inner Sea World Guide p. 132).


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I think I've found something that might be an error. The Crypt Breaker (alchemist archetype, p. 33) says the following about how the alkahest bombs affect nonundead, nonconstruct creatures:

Quote:
Against all other creatures, alkahest bombs deal 1d4 points of damage, plus 1d4 points of force damage for every odd-numbered level. This ability otherwise functions as and replaces the standard alchemist bomb class feature.

However, since the alkahest bombs do acid damage against constructs and undead, and the text says that the alkahest bombs are supposed to be less effective on creatures that are neither undead nor constructs, should the alkahest bombs do acid or some other type of elemental damage rather than force damage?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Dreaming Psion wrote:

I think I've found something that might be an error. The Crypt Breaker (alchemist archetype, p. 33) says the following about how the alkahest bombs affect nonundead, nonconstruct creatures:

Quote:
Against all other creatures, alkahest bombs deal 1d4 points of damage, plus 1d4 points of force damage for every odd-numbered level. This ability otherwise functions as and replaces the standard alchemist bomb class feature.

However, since the alkahest bombs do acid damage against constructs and undead, and the text says that the alkahest bombs are supposed to be less effective on creatures that are neither undead nor constructs, should the alkahest bombs do acid or some other type of elemental damage rather than force damage?

Yeah; it should be 1d4 acid damage, not force damage.


What abilities should the Crypt Breaker be able to take instead of discoveries? I don't think mine is correct.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Cheapy wrote:
What abilities should the Crypt Breaker be able to take instead of discoveries? I don't think mine is correct.

Crypt Breakers may take the following rogue talents as discoveries: quick disable, trap sense, and trap spotter.


James Jacobs wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
What abilities should the Crypt Breaker be able to take instead of discoveries? I don't think mine is correct.
Crypt Breakers may take the following rogue talents as discoveries: quick disable, trap sense, and trap spotter.

Thank you James.

I guess my main question is that since trap sense isn't a rogue talent, is it as the rogue class ability?

Does it scale with level?

Looking through the list of rogue talents, I can't think of anything else it should be...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cheapy wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
What abilities should the Crypt Breaker be able to take instead of discoveries? I don't think mine is correct.
Crypt Breakers may take the following rogue talents as discoveries: quick disable, trap sense, and trap spotter.

Thank you James.

I guess my main question is that since trap sense isn't a rogue talent, is it as the rogue class ability?

Does it scale with level?

Looking through the list of rogue talents, I can't think of anything else it should be...

It works the same way as the trap sense class ability and does scale with level.


Excellent to hear. Thanks.


For crypt breakers draught it doesn't say anything specifically about the duration or number that can be made at one time. Are we to assume that it is identical to the mutagen class feature?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aaron Webster wrote:
For crypt breakers draught it doesn't say anything specifically about the duration or number that can be made at one time. Are we to assume that it is identical to the mutagen class feature?

Sounds good to me!


Does the First-World Summoner's Summon Nature Ally work like Summoner's Summon Monster (reduced casting time, increased duration, no eidolon) or is the RaW implication (standard casting time/duration, but can cast with eidolon out) intentional?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Anonymous Visitor 550 wrote:
Does the First-World Summoner's Summon Nature Ally work like Summoner's Summon Monster (reduced casting time, increased duration, no eidolon) or is the RaW implication (standard casting time/duration, but can cast with eidolon out) intentional?

Intentional.


James Jacobs wrote:
Anonymous Visitor 550 wrote:
Does the First-World Summoner's Summon Nature Ally work like Summoner's Summon Monster (reduced casting time, increased duration, no eidolon) or is the RaW implication (standard casting time/duration, but can cast with eidolon out) intentional?
Intentional.

Really. That does some VERY disgusting things to action economy when combined with the synthesist archetype (which is what balances synthesist archetype, kind of...)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

pad300 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Anonymous Visitor 550 wrote:
Does the First-World Summoner's Summon Nature Ally work like Summoner's Summon Monster (reduced casting time, increased duration, no eidolon) or is the RaW implication (standard casting time/duration, but can cast with eidolon out) intentional?
Intentional.
Really. That does some VERY disgusting things to action economy when combined with the synthesist archetype (which is what balances synthesist archetype, kind of...)

The synthesist archetype causes all sorts of problems, though. If you feel that the combination causes too much problems or complexity... then simply don't allow those two sets of rules to mix.


James Jacobs wrote:
pad300 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Anonymous Visitor 550 wrote:
Does the First-World Summoner's Summon Nature Ally work like Summoner's Summon Monster (reduced casting time, increased duration, no eidolon) or is the RaW implication (standard casting time/duration, but can cast with eidolon out) intentional?
Intentional.
Really. That does some VERY disgusting things to action economy when combined with the synthesist archetype (which is what balances synthesist archetype, kind of...)
The synthesist archetype causes all sorts of problems, though. If you feel that the combination causes too much problems or complexity... then simply don't allow those two sets of rules to mix.

Gotta admit, the problem may well be with whole synthesist archetype...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

pad300 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
pad300 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Anonymous Visitor 550 wrote:
Does the First-World Summoner's Summon Nature Ally work like Summoner's Summon Monster (reduced casting time, increased duration, no eidolon) or is the RaW implication (standard casting time/duration, but can cast with eidolon out) intentional?
Intentional.
Really. That does some VERY disgusting things to action economy when combined with the synthesist archetype (which is what balances synthesist archetype, kind of...)
The synthesist archetype causes all sorts of problems, though. If you feel that the combination causes too much problems or complexity... then simply don't allow those two sets of rules to mix.
Gotta admit, the problem may well be with whole synthesist archetype...

That's sort of my opinion. The synthesist is VERY experimental and weird. In my opinion... it changes too much.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Does the Vampire Hunter's Sun Strike gained at 5th level replace Discern Lies? Thank you very much.

Liberty's Edge

James Jacobs wrote:
Anonymous Visitor 550 wrote:
Does the First-World Summoner's Summon Nature Ally work like Summoner's Summon Monster (reduced casting time, increased duration, no eidolon) or is the RaW implication (standard casting time/duration, but can cast with eidolon out) intentional?
Intentional.

Since i had a GM try to call me on this just yesterday in a PFS game, the wording of the first worlder summoner does not include the sentence.

'He can cast this spell as a standard action and the creatures remain for 1 minute per level (instead of 1 round per level)'

Is that implied or was that left out intentionally? In other words is the summon natures ally still a standard action and 1 min / level duration.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

So... how long is a first worlder Summons out? 1 round per level or 1 minute?


Looks like to me, the first worlder still summons as a standard, can summon while the eidolon is out, but has normal duration instead of the improved duration.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Okay in the section for the Divine Scion PrC it states for the characters domain specialization you get a SLA and a permanent sacred/profane bonus on a single d20 roll. Well for the protection domain spec. it says +1 to AC, is that a miss print or just straight up add that to the character's AC?


Dawnflower Dervish... It says

"This works like bardic performance, except that the Dawnflower dervish’s performances grant double their normal bonuses, but these bonuses only affect him."

Except it then says:

When the Dawnflower dervish uses the inspire courage, inspire greatness, or inspire heroics bardic performance types as battle dances, these performance types only provide benefit to the Dawnflower dervish himself. All other types of bardic performance work normally (affecting the bard and his allies, or the bard’s enemies, as appropriate)."

Which seems to directly contradict the first part!

I'm presuming the "double their normal bonuses" is supposed to only apply to courage/greatness/heroics"? Possibly even that the first phrase should have said "This works like bardic performance, except that the Dawnflower dervish’s performances grant double their normal bonuses for those types where the bonuses only affect him." ??

Grand Lodge

Concerning the Primalist Wizard archetype:

Inner Sea Magic pg. 38 wrote:


Primal Magic (SU): At 1st level, a primalist may attempt to channel primal magic as a swift action to cast a prepared spell without losing that spell from its spell slot.
Inner Sea Magic pg. 38 wrote:


Enhance Primal Magic Event (SU): At 5th level, when a primalist triggers a primal magic event, as a swift action she can increase or decrease its CR by 1.

It's never possible to actually use the Enhance Primal Magic event if both it and Primal Magic require swift actions to use.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

James Jacobs wrote:
ThatEvilGuy wrote:

The Chelish Diva bard archetype (by the way, THANK YOU SO MUCH PAIZO!! My tiefling opera singing bard, my favorite character ever, that has just reached level 10 was dying for this archetype. Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!). On page 33 it mentions that the Prima Donna ability allows him to spend more rounds of bardic performance to increase the DC of scathing tirade, amongst others. Problem is, scathing tirade has does not have a save. Am I right in presuming that this is incorrect and that it does?

Another thing, is Devastating Aria sonic damage or just "regular" damage, and thus subject to damage reduction?

EDIT: I am also presuming that, unlike most bardic performances, you cannot "sustain" devastating aria to do 1d4+bard level (1/2 on to living creatures) as a free action every round?

Scathing Tirade should indeed be allowed a saving throw to resist its effects, equal to the saving throw to resist all bardic performance effects.

Devastating Aria does sonic damage.

You have to use a standard action to direct the burst of sonic energy with Devastating Aria.

Uh oh. So ThatEvilGuy might have been thinking of 3.5 Sonic damage which ignored hardness. In Pathfinder:

Pathfinder SRD wrote:


Energy attacks deal half damage to most objects. Divide the damage by 2 before applying the object's hardness. Some energy types might be particularly effective against certain objects, subject to GM discretion. For example, fire might do full damage against parchment, cloth, and other objects that burn easily. Sonic might do full damage against glass and crystal objects.

So if Devastating Aria is sonic damage then it now does 1d4+level to some crystal or glass objects, and half that to other objects and living creatures. This means the Bard will need to be level 7 before they have any chance (25%) of damaging a wooden object, or level 16 before damaging a plain iron object.

Is this how the ability was intended to function? Balance issues aside it just seems like a weird way to state an ability.

Also: the ability has no range. Should I assume it is line of sight?

Thanks!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

As mentioned in the Core rules, the GM is free to adjudicate that some forms of damage bypass some or all of an object's hardness or the half-damage rule. Let common sense be your guide. And it probably should have a range; line of sight is a long way. I'd say 60 feet.

Grand Lodge

Pg. 17 - Thassilonian Specialists

Thassilonian Specialists may want to include in its description of benefits that they get an extra cantrip slot reserved for a spell from their specialty school. This is evident based on every Thassilonian wizard's stat block that appears in Rise of the Runelords: Anniversary Edition.

Grand Lodge

Pg. 53 - Call weapon

Because this spell doesn't have a range of "Personal" or a target of "You", it still needs saving throw and spell resistance entries. They're likely both "None" and "No", respectively.

Grand Lodge

Pg. 55 - Fleshcurdle spell

This spell has the polymorph subschool, but probably shouldn't since that subschool is designed for those transmutation spells that actually transform the target into an entirely different creature with unique stats, not just spells that warp some physical aspect of the creature.

Grand Lodge

Pg. 57 - Ice spears spell

All conjuration spells have a subschool. This one should be "(creation)".

Grand Lodge

Pg. 59 - Shadow barbs spell

Two points about this spell:

1) This spell should probably have the shadow descriptor introduced in Ultimate Magic, not just the shadow subschool.

2) The description of this spell says magi are fond of using it, but the technical information at the top of the spell doesn't list the magus as being able to cast it.

Grand Lodge

Pg. 60 - Song of Kyonin spell

Also two points about this spell:

1) This spell is missing its saving throw and spell resistance information. Technically only spells with a range of "Personal" and a target of "You" are allowed this omission. The closest spell I found that resembles this one is purging finale from Advanced Player's Guide, and so my house rule is to use that spell as an example for this spell. If you agree, then add the following after the Duration entry on this spell:

"Saving Throw Will negates (harmless); Spell Resistance Yes (harmless)"

2) This spell doesn't mention anything about being only usable on allied or living creatures. As written, there doesn't seem to be anything that would prevent a caster from using this spell on 3 undead creatures and ending the spell to do damage to all of them. It's unclear if this was intentional or not.

Grand Lodge

Pg. 61 - Spellscar spell

This spell is missing its saving throw and spell resistance information. Since it doesn't target a creature directly, it should probably have the following based on its effects:

"Saving Throw None (see text); Spell Resistance No (see text)"

Grand Lodge

Pierre-Luc Benoit wrote:
Does the Vampire Hunter's Sun Strike gained at 5th level replace Discern Lies? Thank you very much.

I don't think it does. Bane is also gained at that level, and the vampire hunter's version of bane is a nerf'd version of it. My guess is that Sun Strike is meant as an admittedly awesome consolation prize.

Grand Lodge

Strife2002 wrote:

Pg. 55 - Fleshcurdle spell

This spell has the polymorph subschool, but probably shouldn't since that subschool is designed for those transmutation spells that actually transform the target into an entirely different creature with unique stats, not just spells that warp some physical aspect of the creature.

I actually take this one back. Despite what the rules for the polymorph subschool say, there's been enough other spells to suggest any spell that causes a physical alteration to a living creature can be a polymorph spell (case in point, the various aspect of [blank] spells from the APG).

1 to 50 of 51 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / Lost Omens Products / Inner Sea Magic (Reference / errata) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.