GameMastery Map Pack: Caverns

3.70/5 (based on 3 ratings)
GameMastery Map Pack: Caverns

Add PDF $8.99

Print Edition Out of print

Facebook Twitter Email

DESCEND INTO THE DARKNESS BELOW... but take care to make a map as you go, because these caves could go on forever!

Paizo Publishing's GameMastery line of gaming accessories continues its mission of providing simple and elegant tools for the busy Game Master with GameMastery Map Pack: Caverns. Inside you'll find beautiful 5" by 8" map tiles that can be combined to form a number of underground locations that could be part of any dungeon or cave network, including:

  • Mushroom Cavern
  • Lava Cave
  • Twisting Corridors
  • Monster Den
  • Underground River
  • Vast Chasm

Game Masters shouldn't waste their time scribbling out twisting caverns and gloomy caves. With GameMastery Map Pack: Caverns, you can keep your party busy for hours, while letting you concentrate on the monsters that live there!

Cartography by Corey Macourek

For use with the industry's most popular roleplaying or tabletop miniature campaigns, and useable by experienced GMs and novices alike, this product fits perfectly into any Game Master's arsenal.

Good GMs can never have too many maps at their disposal, and Paizo's GameMastery Map Packs provide high-quality gridded maps for use with both RPGs and miniatures games.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-068-1

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Maps Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Out of print

This product is out of print.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO4014


See Also:

Average product rating:

3.70/5 (based on 3 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Fuzzy as usual

2/5

The art is fuzzy & vague, but at least the contrast is enough to identify passage from solid rock. Usable for quick, easily laid out tunnels & small caves; the titles "Caverns" is misleading (but, then, what pack in this series DOESN'T have a promising title with a disappointing content?).



Is this the first time you guys snuck in an Iconic on the cover? Nicely done.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Duncan & Dragons wrote:
Is this the first time you guys snuck in an Iconic on the cover? Nicely done.

Nope. See Ruins and Slums.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

I would love to see a pdf version of these maps :)

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Elorebaen wrote:
I would love to see a pdf version of these maps :)

Me, too! Me, too! Back in April, Lisa said that you guys were considering selling PDF versions of the map packs and other maps. I would LOVE that!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Paris Crenshaw wrote:
Elorebaen wrote:
I would love to see a pdf version of these maps :)
Me, too! Me, too! Back in April, Lisa said that you guys were considering selling PDF versions of the map packs and other maps. I would LOVE that!

We did have a meeting in which this was discussed. If we offered PDFs of our map products, a number of customers who are currently buying the printed products would switch to buying them instead of the printed products. Obviously, we can't know for sure how big that number is, but several of us believe that it's high enough to impact the sales of the printed products to the point where we would have to do smaller print runs. Since smaller print runs mean higher costs, that could cause the line to become unprofitable. So for now, it's off the table.

The only thing that could bring it back to the table is if sales of the printed products were to increase enough that we'd be willing to risk a loss of sales.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

What if the pdf's were only available to folks who pre-ordered the actually cardstock map packs? Or create a subscription and make the pdf's available to subscribers only?

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Would it be possible to offer it as a download only for those who purchased the printed products? I mean, people who buy the prints can always scan the products for themselves, but I'd be willing to buy the paper if I knew I could get the high quality 'trons, as well. I do realize there's a risk of piracy, here, and I'm not sure how to get around that one. I just hate the thought of losing the resolution by using my own scanner to get electronic versions of these awesome maps.


I personally would pay good money for miniatures scale maps for the adventure paths. I print them out at a copy shop on a plotter, and pay dearly for a low resolution A0 print. I can see myself buying a tube of high resolution maps for an AP for a hundred dollars. Maybe I am alone in that.

Liberty's Edge

Taliesin Hoyle wrote:
I personally would pay good money for miniatures scale maps for the adventure paths. I print them out at a copy shop on a plotter, and pay dearly for a low resolution A0 print. I can see myself buying a tube of high resolution maps for an AP for a hundred dollars. Maybe I am alone in that.

I think a book of poster maps (like WOTC's Fantastic Locations), three or four themed map packs, and a themed flip-mat would work better. Same $100, but less sticker shock since it's spread over several products.

An adventure path costs $120. I would easily spend another $120 on themed map packs, flip-mats and item card decks for each adventure path.

Even at $260, an adventure path is still one of the best bang-for-your-buck ways to spend an entertainment budget. And $120 of that would be non-essential.

Seriously paizo people, listen to us. You aren't soaking us for even HALF the money you could be. We are fools with our money! TAKE IT! TAKE IT ALL!


You could always offer the pdf versions only to the customers that bought the print versions through your online store. That maintains your print run size and encourages direct sales.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see Mosaic and Paris' posts. Yeah...what they said.


What about an option to get the PDF as an additional download with the purchase of the printed version?

As a DM who plays in a conference room at work, I like to have all my materials on my laptop rather than having to lug around tons of maps, cards, books, etc., just for what *might* happen. (I have enough stuff to carry just for what I have planned for the night's session.) Having a few more maps stashed away could keep me from getting caught offguard while also keeping me from breaking my back.

Just a thought.


Any chance of the Paizo guys adding a small image preview of these map packs?

I'd like to see just a few images, to see if this is indeed something I can use, and also to compare with WotC's Dungeon Tiles (who would also benefit from a small preview.)


Hi... I am from germany and bought the cavern-set. Right know I have alle game mastery maps. But in the cavern set is something which I do not understand. On the back cover you describe "Twisting Corridors"...?!?!?... which tiles are the twisting corridors? the cavern peaces? One Tile shows an entrance to a hill or something with a wooden sign on the left. Which one is that?
I would be helpful if you make some sample pictures which tile is for what. Most of the time it is clear but sometimes I have to think about which function this tile is describe...? I hope you understand what I mean. My english grammar is not the best... :(

The Exchange

Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber
AfterBusiness wrote:

Hi... I am from germany and bought the cavern-set. Right know I have alle game mastery maps. But in the cavern set is something which I do not understand. On the back cover you describe "Twisting Corridors"...?!?!?... which tiles are the twisting corridors? the cavern peaces? One Tile shows an entrance to a hill or something with a wooden sign on the left. Which one is that?

I would be helpful if you make some sample pictures which tile is for what. Most of the time it is clear but sometimes I have to think about which function this tile is describe...? I hope you understand what I mean. My english grammar is not the best... :(

In my opinion, it is an entrance from an outside location. If you go to this link here . I think you can imagine it.

Cheers,
Zuxius


Hi... thanx. :)
Are this image official? Do you have such images for every map-pack?


Vic Wertz wrote:
Paris Crenshaw wrote:
Elorebaen wrote:
I would love to see a pdf version of these maps :)
Me, too! Me, too! Back in April, Lisa said that you guys were considering selling PDF versions of the map packs and other maps. I would LOVE that!

We did have a meeting in which this was discussed. If we offered PDFs of our map products, a number of customers who are currently buying the printed products would switch to buying them instead of the printed products. Obviously, we can't know for sure how big that number is, but several of us believe that it's high enough to impact the sales of the printed products to the point where we would have to do smaller print runs. Since smaller print runs mean higher costs, that could cause the line to become unprofitable. So for now, it's off the table.

The only thing that could bring it back to the table is if sales of the printed products were to increase enough that we'd be willing to risk a loss of sales.

Then what about making one of the map packs a test run? Just one of them mind you, and see what can happen? Must admit though, some of those map packs are more useful than others. I have the inns, and camp sites, and a couple others. I find em useful when needing to put something together on the fly. Other than that, I do like drawing my maps out, as I can draw. Keep mats around for that reason.


So... no low res previews yet? =/

Scarab Sages

Will be be preview pictures for this product?


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I noticed the weird tile mentioned in Zuxius' review too, it really seems out of place in ths iset. What is it supposed to be?

Courey, can you perhaps comment on that?


Zaister wrote:
I noticed the weird tile mentioned in Zuxius' review too, it really seems out of place in this set. What is it supposed to be?

It's a cave entrance; the images are currently named after the tile, and in this case the tile is: PZO4014-CAVERNS_ENTRANCE.jpeg This is a handy way to identify tiles from the preview images. (In FireFox, right-click the image and select "view image info" from the menu; in Internet Explorer, right-click the image and select "properties".)

About the cavern tiles:

I recently got a chance to visit a couple of the entrances to the Mammoth Cave cavern system, including a short boat ride on an underground river.

The tight "twisting tunnels" seem just about right for most of one of the smaller entrances, which had areas where the claustrophobic tunnels would suddenly open on large chambers. These chambers would have had heaps of boulders around the edges; many of the rocks would have been moved there in the past by cave promoters (the equivalent of cave dungeon dwellers in game terms). The larger chambers are similar to the mushroom tile in this set. In the terms of the card set, the tight little tunnels with sharp turns and lots of weird nooks are very close to reality, and real caverns look like the perfect place for creepy monsters to hide out.

For what it's worth, the underground river in this card set looks a bit strange compared to the underground river in Mammoth Cave; the water in the real river generally looked inky black in the deeper part, or nearly transparent in the shallow part. The exception was for areas of turbulence from falling water, where the water looked "white". In terms of the tile set, the chasm actually looks more like most of the Mammoth Cave river than the river tiles do, and the chasm could do an excellent job of representing both a chasm and a river. I don't know about other games, but I would be happy to see future maps and tiles simply include a very dark river that can double as a chasm as needed.

I think this is one of the better ad more reusable Map Pack sets, though - I like the modular approach that allows the various tiles to be connected to make different maps, and the twists and turns are great for exploration, while areas like the chasm and mush-room should make for some interesting subterranean battles (I'll rule that the mushrooms provide partial cover and act as rough terrain.)

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / GameMastery Map Pack: Caverns All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.