Piracy on the Sanctioned Seas!

Monday, December 15, 2014


Illustration by Mariusz Gandzel

For many Pathfinder Society players, the end of the year is a time to reunite with friends and family—and get the old gaming group back together! If you haven't heard the news, there's a new Pathfinder Module at large: Plunder & Peril. Ready for some more tidings of good cheer? It's now sanctioned for Pathfinder Society Organized Play! You can download the Chronicle sheet from the product page or Additional Resources page.

This module is actually a set of three smaller adventures that can be played back-to-back to tell a bigger story, and there's a Chronicle sheet for each part of the module. If one of your characters is feeling particularly piratey, you can apply all three Chronicle sheets to her and earn a fourth sheet as a bonus! For even more swashbuckling action, combine this module's rewards with those for theSkull and Shackles Adventure Path to create a true Pathfinding terror of the high seas (it's now possible to get a character from 1st- to 14th-level playing almost nothing but pirate-themed adventures)!

Is that still not enough ship-to-ship action for you? In conjunction with Tannis O'Connor, I have added a little something extra to the Chronicle sheets for those of you participating in the Pathfinder Society Adventure Card Guild's Season of the Shackles.

Happy gaming!

John Compton
Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Mariusz Gandzel Pathfinder Modules Pathfinder Society
4/5

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Thanks, looks good.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

Interesting, am I correct in reading the rules that it does not mater how it is run ("Campaign Mode" or "Module Mode") that as long as you apply all 3 chronicles to the same PC you get the 4th chronicle sheet?

Scarab Sages

Between Wardens sanctioning last week and Plunder sanctioning this week, it seems the time between module release and PFS sanctioning has dramatically decreased. In fact, at the current rate I believe I can project that we should expect the chronicle sheets for Daughers of Fury slightly before the module is actually released and the chronicle sheets for Feast of Dust any day now as well.

;)

But seriously, keep them coming! Nice to see lots of new sanctioned material out there!

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5 Venture-Captain, Georgia—Augusta aka MatthewHudson

2 people marked this as a favorite.

On the PFS side I'm excited about this getting sanctioned as I've been looking forward to running it. On the ACG side, I wish there was a better way to reward the ACG boons without needing them on the same sheet as for the RPG. While I like the crossover between the two systems as part of a large OP campaign focus I'm thinking the book keeping of tracking and bringing various RPG chronicles to ACG events will be more of a pain.

I would have preferred a format closer to the multi-part Pathfinder Tales chronicles where all of the ACG boons appear on one chronicle with a section for the GM to sign off which parts you have access to based on which RPG chronicles you've earned. PFS RPG chronicles stay with RPG materials, PFS ACG boons stay with ACG materials. Just an idea I had.

Paizo Employee 5/5 Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Hudson wrote:

On the PFS side I'm excited about this getting sanctioned as I've been looking forward to running it. On the ACG side, I wish there was a better way to reward the ACG boons without needing them on the same sheet as for the RPG. While I like the crossover between the two systems as part of a large OP campaign focus I'm thinking the book keeping of tracking and bringing various RPG chronicles to ACG events will be more of a pain.

I would have preferred a format closer to the multi-part Pathfinder Tales chronicles where all of the ACG boons appear on one chronicle with a section for the GM to sign off which parts you have access to based on which RPG chronicles you've earned. PFS RPG chronicles stay with RPG materials, PFS ACG boons stay with ACG materials. Just an idea I had.

That's a good recommendation.

Shadow Lodge

I tried to work out what you were talking about with "ACG boons/events" - you're talking about Adventure Card Guild, not Advanced Class Guide. Oops!

Paizo Employee 5/5 Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mike Tuholski wrote:

Between Wardens sanctioning last week and Plunder sanctioning this week, it seems the time between module release and PFS sanctioning has dramatically decreased. In fact, at the current rate I believe I can project that we should expect the chronicle sheets for Daughers of Fury slightly before the module is actually released and the chronicle sheets for Feast of Dust any day now as well.

;)

But seriously, keep them coming! Nice to see lots of new sanctioned material out there!

Oh, that's a dangerous trend—one that probably results in my publishing several Season 9 scenarios two weeks ago.

I'm packing Pirate's Promise to read next week while visiting family, and I'm hoping to turn around the next Pathfinder Tales sanctioning document very close to that book's publication date. That's my next sanctioning goal.

Paizo Employee 5/5 Designer

John Compton wrote:
Mike Tuholski wrote:

Between Wardens sanctioning last week and Plunder sanctioning this week, it seems the time between module release and PFS sanctioning has dramatically decreased. In fact, at the current rate I believe I can project that we should expect the chronicle sheets for Daughers of Fury slightly before the module is actually released and the chronicle sheets for Feast of Dust any day now as well.

;)

But seriously, keep them coming! Nice to see lots of new sanctioned material out there!

Oh, that's a dangerous trend—one that probably results in my publishing several Season 9 scenarios two weeks ago.

But you've got the Sky Key, John, right? Anything is possible

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka thistledown

But still no sanctioning for Iron Gods... :(

Grand Lodge 5/5 Global Organized Play Coordinator

thistledown wrote:
But still no sanctioning for Iron Gods... :(

Maybe.

5/5

Great work, looks cool, can't wait to play/run this module. Am currently running Tears at Bitter Manor (which is a ton of fun), but will probably throw this on my event when I get a chance.

Scarab Sages

Michael Brock wrote:
thistledown wrote:
But still no sanctioning for Iron Gods... :(
Maybe.

Cool. I'm patiently looking forward to IG sanctioning as well.

John Compton wrote:
Mike Tuholski wrote:

Between Wardens sanctioning last week and Plunder sanctioning this week, it seems the time between module release and PFS sanctioning has dramatically decreased. In fact, at the current rate I believe I can project that we should expect the chronicle sheets for Daughers of Fury slightly before the module is actually released and the chronicle sheets for Feast of Dust any day now as well.

;)

But seriously, keep them coming! Nice to see lots of new sanctioned material out there!

Oh, that's a dangerous trend—one that probably results in my publishing several Season 9 scenarios two weeks ago.

However, I didn't run the projections on the previous APs. We got Carrion Crown over a year ago and I've been looking forward to Serpent's Skull since then. I'm scared to look at the projections for Curse of the Crimson Throne sanctioning but I have a feeling they look pretty dire.

Lantern Lodge 5/5

Man, I'm starting to feel like we (myself included, RE: Wardens) as a group are a bunch of entitled jackasses, here.

So, instead of griping about what is and isn't sanctioned, allow me to say thanks to the people who are working on these things.

Paizo Employee 5/5 Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Mike Tuholski wrote:
John Compton wrote:
Mike Tuholski wrote:

Between Wardens sanctioning last week and Plunder sanctioning this week, it seems the time between module release and PFS sanctioning has dramatically decreased. In fact, at the current rate I believe I can project that we should expect the chronicle sheets for Daughers of Fury slightly before the module is actually released and the chronicle sheets for Feast of Dust any day now as well.

;)

But seriously, keep them coming! Nice to see lots of new sanctioned material out there!

Oh, that's a dangerous trend—one that probably results in my publishing several Season 9 scenarios two weeks ago.
However, I didn't run the projections on the previous APs. We got Carrion Crown over a year ago and I've been looking forward to Serpent's Skull since then. I'm scared to look at the projections for Curse of the Crimson Throne sanctioning but I have a feeling they look pretty dire.

Serpent's Skull is one I want to have out before the end of Season 6—both because it's definitely time we sanction another of the older Adventure Paths and because its strong Mwangi theme coincides nicely with that of this season of Pathfinder Society.

Silver Crusade 5/5

I've got to say that I really like the way that you guys ended up handling the bonus cert for playing through the entire module.

Grand Lodge 5/5

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber
UndeadMitch wrote:
I've got to say that I really like the way that you guys ended up handling the bonus cert for playing through the entire module.

The recent offering of no xp/prestige on bonus chronicles is a very nice touch. Options are good, and being able to taste the extra goodness without shortening up play life is a definite win.

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/5 RPG Superstar 2014 Top 32 aka Netopalis

It could just be my PDF reader, but there appears to be a line across some of the text on page 5 of the chronicles. Does anybody else see that? If so, it should be a quick fix.

5/5 Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka Pirate Rob

I see the line as well, although it's just underneath a line of text for me.

Paizo Employee 5/5 Developer

Andrew Shumate wrote:
It could just be my PDF reader, but there appears to be a line across some of the text on page 5 of the chronicles. Does anybody else see that? If so, it should be a quick fix.

I'm seeing it, too. This cropped up in the Wardens of the Reborn Forge sheets, but I caught that one and took it out. I'm surprised to see this line, as I don't remember seeing the same problem repeated during the many times I tinkered with these Chronicle sheets. This might be something tied to a template we use for laying out the Chronicle sheets for sanctioned adventures. Thanks for pointing it out.

Scarab Sages

Jayson MF Kip wrote:

Man, I'm starting to feel like we (myself included, RE: Wardens) as a group are a bunch of entitled jackasses, here.

So, instead of griping about what is and isn't sanctioned, allow me to say thanks to the people who are working on these things.

Oh, don't get my tone wrong. I know it wasn't directed specifically at me but I just wanted to make it known that I'm not ungrateful for the recent sanctions, nor am I in the habit of griping about upcoming sanctions. I'm very happy to see all of this stuff sanctioned and I'm looking forward to more in the future. It's just been a long time since we've heard anything about the old APs and I've been concerned that that project will ever get finished. But I'm glad to see that John still has it in his mind and I look forward to seeing what comes of it in the future.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm just excited about more Matt Goodall adventures (and flavourful beatings) for PFS! :spits out lost teeth and smiles:

The Exchange

It would appear that I should finally get working on that Cleric of Besmara character I've been thinking about.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Paizo Blog: Piracy on the Sanctioned Seas! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Society
Replays