GM Frost's S05-11 Equal Exchanges - The Hidden Current [PaizoCon Online 2024 PbP] (Inactive)

Game Master Frozen Frost

Sign-Up Sheet | Slides and Maps | Macros |
Challenge Points: 23 (High Tier, Level 9-10)
Start Date: 28 May 2024
End Date: 23 July 2024


1 to 50 of 233 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

Dot in and delete.


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

The Pathfinders begin the adventure at the Grand Lodge in the city of Absalom. A Pathfinder scribe who works for Venture-Captain Ambrus Valsin seeks each of them out in turn, summoning them to a mission briefing in the offices of Skyreach.

"There you are. Follow me." the scribe tells them and leads you the way toward the office.

This is your time to introduce yourselves to one another as you climb high above the lower floors, ascending towards where members of the Decemvirate maintain their offices.

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Zarina, a human girl with waist length blonde hair, is fairly fit - what with all that swimming and diving she does, so she's still breathing easy once in the office.

Hello. I'm Zarina. Wave Druid. She's wearing a light cotton shirt and shorts over a crocodile hide two piece. A long spear is being carried in one hand and her backpack in the other. Practical walking boots are on her feet.

Radiant Oath

2396852-2001 | LG Male Human | Detective | Investigator Lvl 7 | Psychic Dedication |◆◇↺ | Spells: -/1/2 | HP 95/95 | AC 26 | F/R/W: 14/15/13 | Perc +15 (+16 Pursue a Lead/Detect Traps) | 25 feet | Class DC 24 | Exploration Activity: Scout | Hero Points: 1/3 Ammo: 50 | Throwing Knives: 2 | +1 SH: 14/14

A tall man with blond hair and mustache falls in step.

"Well met, Zarina. Isaku Beru, Investigator. I wonder what we're being sent into, seeing that we appear to be briefed by Society leadership this time."

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

No idea ... but I hope it's wet she grins.

Grand Archive

Male Goblin (Snow) Core Bard (Multifarious) Archaeologist 10 | HP 116/116 | AC 28 | Fortitude +18, Reflex +19, Will +17 (Performer's Heart) | Perception +14 | Speed 25, climb 10 | Darkvision | Resist cold 5, void 1 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice +16 | Bard Spells 5th-1/3 4th-2/3 3rd-3/3 2nd-3/3 1st-2/3 | Focus 1/2 | Greater Mentalist's Staff 5/5 | Hero Points 1 | Provisions: scroll of breath of life 1/1 | Active Conditions: None| ◆◇↺

A blue-skinned goblin joins the group. If he has some sort of grand backstory, it is well hidden beneath a set of colorful - or, more accurately, gaudy - performer's clothing. Strapped to his back are a well-worn bow and quiver and a pack stuffed with writings and magical devices with unusual auras, plus a single silver die held in a pouch made from an oddment of chainmail.

"Not too wet, I hope. Been thrown overboard by goblin sailors on a mission once. Everything tasted of salt for a week, and not in a good way.

"I'm Jiki. I'm here to befuddle our foes and then write about how incredible the Pathfinders - except maybe one weird little goblin - handle whatever fate throws at them! So... what is fate throwing at us today?" He offers a hand to each of his fellow agents.

Radiant Oath

2396852-2001 | LG Male Human | Detective | Investigator Lvl 7 | Psychic Dedication |◆◇↺ | Spells: -/1/2 | HP 95/95 | AC 26 | F/R/W: 14/15/13 | Perc +15 (+16 Pursue a Lead/Detect Traps) | 25 feet | Class DC 24 | Exploration Activity: Scout | Hero Points: 1/3 Ammo: 50 | Throwing Knives: 2 | +1 SH: 14/14

Isaku takes the blue hand and shakes it firmly.

"Oh I think I've heard of you. Didn't you make a foray into the Darklands some time ago? Something about a song or some such. I caught the story in a Chronicle."

Horizon Hunters

N male kobold (green dragonscale) fighter (marshal) 10 l HP 120/136 | AC 29 | F +20 (Juggernaut) R +16 W +17 (Juggernaut, Bravery) | Perc +18 (+20 for Ini. )| speed 20 ft | Hero 2 | Active Conditions: None

A nondescript green kobold in half-plate struggles up the stairs, "They are so strict about flying around Skyreach, or I'd soar up to the top! My wings would blot out the sun!"

Considering the size of his wings (almost nonexistent) this seems an empty boast.

Grand Archive

Male Goblin (Snow) Core Bard (Multifarious) Archaeologist 10 | HP 116/116 | AC 28 | Fortitude +18, Reflex +19, Will +17 (Performer's Heart) | Perception +14 | Speed 25, climb 10 | Darkvision | Resist cold 5, void 1 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice +16 | Bard Spells 5th-1/3 4th-2/3 3rd-3/3 2nd-3/3 1st-2/3 | Focus 1/2 | Greater Mentalist's Staff 5/5 | Hero Points 1 | Provisions: scroll of breath of life 1/1 | Active Conditions: None| ◆◇↺

"That is one place I haven't had the 'pleasure' of traveling. I have visited the Plane of Shadow and the Dimension of Dreams recently, though.
Not sure why anyone would have written of anything I did in either location."

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet
Zarina Silvermist wrote:
No idea ... but I hope it's wet she grins.

"Oh, I'd love to go swimming in a waterfall or dancing in a thunderstorm - that'd be great!"

The speaker is a young, pretty sprite accompanied by a brutish, wolf-like animal. She flits up the stairs on glowing wings, zipping up to the others to say hello, while her eidolon (easily identified as such by the glowing tattoo emblazoned on his shoulder that matches the pattern of her wings) sniffs the air for trouble as the group reaches the top. Satisfied, he settles onto the office floor.
Eventually done introducing herself - "I'm Raindrop!" - and poking about, she flops on top of him and makes herself comfortable.

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Oh I can so agree with that Raindrop - and you're pretty cute. she then turns to Jiki, and adds with a concerned tone Did you have to swim to shore or did they pull you back out?

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet

"Thanks!"
Patting her companion, she jokes, "I have to compensate for this one!"

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

So how are you maintaining flight Raindrop? Most sprites I've seen can only flutter without magical assistance. Also, are you okay with being underwater? I'd love to show you my world.

There is genuine curiosity there although she might be flirting as well - just a tiny little bit.

Grand Archive

Male Goblin (Snow) Core Bard (Multifarious) Archaeologist 10 | HP 116/116 | AC 28 | Fortitude +18, Reflex +19, Will +17 (Performer's Heart) | Perception +14 | Speed 25, climb 10 | Darkvision | Resist cold 5, void 1 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice +16 | Bard Spells 5th-1/3 4th-2/3 3rd-3/3 2nd-3/3 1st-2/3 | Focus 1/2 | Greater Mentalist's Staff 5/5 | Hero Points 1 | Provisions: scroll of breath of life 1/1 | Active Conditions: None| ◆◇↺

"Luckily, the crew only wanted a bit of sport, not to drown me, and I was thrown a rope."


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

As they get near the office, muffled, agitated voices can be heard through the heavy oak doors of their destination, causing their escort to wince sheepishly, even as they assure the team that they’re expected.

“And I don’t care what Calisro Benarry’s assurances were. We all should have been informed before they were dispatched.” Eando Kline’s voice is the first thing heard upon entry into the room. The leader of the Vigilant Seal stops talking upon seeing Pathfinder agents approach and looks to his side at the Radiant Oath leader, Valais Durant. The aasimar woman smiles at the new arrivals before addressing the final two occupants of the room—Ambrus Valsin and the Decemvirate member known as the Waterfall. “Eando and I are in agreement, but we cannot change what is already in motion. We must trust in our most capable agents to see it through.”

The Waterfall, seated behind a relatively simple desk of polished basalt, looks up at Ambrus, who clears his throat. “Your concerns are duly noted, but please understand that this was done by necessity. As Valais said, we have senior Pathfinders here who can handle it.”

See this Slide for image of Waterfall.

Kline takes a deep breath before nodding in apparent defeat. He and Valais turn to exit the office, the latter offering each agent a warm smile, while Eando gives a reassuring grip on the shoulder to Raindrop, before closing the door behind them after they depart.

Motioning for all to take the available seats, the Waterfall rises, the concealing magical waters of her Decemvirate helm flowing to shroud even her simplest movements. “I’m sorry you had to hear that.” She smooths her dress with a gloved hand, then continues. “Your mission is to investigate an island laboratory we believe once belonged to old enemies of the Society, located near the shattered continent of Azlant in the middle of the Arcadian Ocean. A ship called the Misty Misfit, crewed entirely by retired Pathfinder agents, set sail several weeks ago without knowing their final destination as support for your task. The fact that we enacted the first stages of this operation in secret does not sit well with those who most fervently safeguard our well-being.

“While we do know the island’s location, it has proven impossible to scry upon with any form of magic, and thus we are concerned there may be other safeguards left behind. This, plus the scrutiny that befalls those who sail too directly toward Azlanti ruins, led me to order the vessel to set sail for an empty patch of ocean instead. Our ritualists will teleport you to the Misty Misfit, where you will deliver this chart,” she indicates a wax-sealed scroll, “that the captain can use to get you there and back. Once you arrive, clear the facility of danger and collect any research or artifacts you find. In particular, you are to locate and retrieve a small white oak chest with a yellow garnet embedded in the lid.”

"Any questions?"

GM Scree:
Isaku Beru's Pathfinder Society Lore (T): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26
Jiki the Flatulist's Aspis Consortium Lore (T): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32
Zarina Silvermist's Pathfinder Socity Lore (T): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Raindrop's Pathfinder Society Lore (T): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Isaku:
You know that Conference Z is considered a secret society, even within the Aspis Consortium. The most benign fields they study are extraplanar travel and extraplanetary studies. Many of their agents voluntarily submit themselves for “subconscious usurpation” training so they can’t be compromised, even under torture.

Jiki:
You know that Conference Z is considered a secret society, even within the Aspis Consortium. The most benign fields they study are extraplanar travel and extraplanetary studies. Many of their agents voluntarily submit themselves for “subconscious usurpation” training so they can’t be compromised, even under torture.

Zarina:
You know that Conference Z is considered a secret society, even within the Aspis Consortium. The most benign fields they study are extraplanar travel and extraplanetary studies. Many of their agents voluntarily submit themselves for “subconscious usurpation” training so they can’t be compromised, even under torture.

Grand Archive

M Goblin | Wizard 9 | ◆◇↺ | HP 59/69(78)| AC 26(27 w/shield) | F +14 R +17 W +13 | Perception +11 Darkvision |hero points 1/3| Resistances Fire 4 Negative 1 | Speed 25 (35) | 5/10 infused reagents | Focus 1/1 Active Conditions] Tailwind, False Vitality, Drained 1 |

A goblin dressed in a ratty tuxedo complete with top hat enters the room just as Waterfall begins to speak. The top hat is far too small to fit his oversized goblin head and is tied on with a length of string. Instead of a proper tuxedo shirt he wears a tee shirt with the words "Fire Festival 4724" on it. He reaches up to adjust a pair of cracked spectacles which are also too small and tied on with string. "A clandestine aquatic rendezvous eh? Intriguing."

He pulls a pipe out from a pouch at his belt and fills it with an iridescent liquid. He leans back and softly blows into the pipe, causing a torrent of soap bubbles to emerge and float about his head.

"Old enemies of the society?" He chuckles. "You'll have to be more specific. Our old enemies are legion. What sort of laboratory is it? And what's so special about this oak chest that makes it a priority?"

He turns to the pathfinders and grins. "Sorry I'm late, chaps. I only just got back from a bit of a planar jaunt" He proudly indicates his tee shirt. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Hobbs Picklesmith. I am a practitioner of the esoteric disciplines. A wizard if you will."

He reaches up and politely doffs his hat to the assembled pathfinders, revealing a tiny hedgehog clinging to his enormous head.


F Hedgehog HP 40/40| AC 24 | F +11R +16 W +12| Perception +12 Low-Light |

The hedgehog greets the pathfinders with a soft squeaky voice. "Hello. My name is Erinac..." the remainder of her reply is muffled as Hobbs replaces his hat.

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Whoo hoo .... underwater ruins?

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet

"Oh, I can't stay aloft - wings aren't quite strong enough yet. I'm just good at popping on and off of his back and up and down the length of things in such a way that I fool most observers," she throws Zarina a wink, clearing enjoying the banter but also clearly missing the point.

...

"Hiya, Hobbs! Good questions. I'll add, who's the captain of the boat and do we have any idea who or what lives on the island?"


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺
Hobbs Picklesmith wrote:

"Old enemies of the society?" He chuckles. "You'll have to be more specific. Our old enemies are legion. What sort of laboratory is it? And what's so special about this oak chest that makes it a priority?"

Waterfall smiles, though they may not see it behind her waterfall mask. “My sources indicate it once belonged to the Aspis Consortium, specifically, one of its most secret subdivisions, known as Conference Z.”

“Ostensibly, Conference Z is an esoteric research organization. In reality, they conduct dangerous, reality-breaking experiments. The Society conducted surveillance their Nidal facility called Wirholt’s Rictus about eight years ago as part of a rare joint Pathfinder-Aspis operation. This was done to root out agitators who were trying to play our agents against each other with dire consequences. Senior agents also investigated an island lab called Wingless Rock where Conference Z experimented with artificially created ‘god-creatures’ that also resulted in much death and destruction. Everything this Conference Z touches is extremely dangerous.” From her response, they can infer what the laboratory was for.

"As for the box," The Waterfall hesitates before answering. “All I can say is that the box should be small enough to be carried with one hand, and it should be somewhere in that facility. But do not put your mission at risk if you cannot find it.” She does not say anything else on the topic, even if pressed.

Raindrop - Iceman wrote:
"I'll add, who's the captain of the boat and do we have any idea who or what lives on the island?"

"The ship will be led by Gray Garrett Ramsay, a human duskwalker captain of Misty Misfit."

Ambrus Valsin replies to the other question. “Militant groups from Mordant Spire regularly police this part of the Arcadian Ocean, as do numerous aquatic communities that we know little about. Survivors suggest that most of these groups attack first and ask questions later. Don’t tarry too long on the island once you get there.”

"If you have no more questions, then follow us." The Waterfall dismisses them to make their preparations and get back to them once they are ready for the teleportation to the ship.

Everyone begins with two hero points each.

-------------------

Meanwhile, during your preparations, Eando finds them first.

"I am very disappointed at the mission’s secrecy as well as how far away you’ll be from Society support," he rants. "But I trust in your abilities." He then gives each character six pieces of sampling ammunition (Pathfinder Dark Archive 63) of a type up to each of them.

"I ask you to collect samples from as many of Conference Z’s experiments as possible while you are in the laboratory." He then shows them a trick on how to use the ammunition like a sampling vial outside of combat. He also strongly recommends that they destroy anything on the island that could be a threat to future Pathfinder teams or to accidental visitors to the site, reminding them of the Vigilant Seal’s “protect, contain, destroy” motto. He gives each of them a hearty handshake, and then leaves them be.

Valais joins the team soon after Eando departs.

"If a Conference Z lab is actually on this island, there may be sentient creatures or animals still alive at their destination." Looking pointedly at each of them, she expresses her fervent belief that any being that is experimented upon deserves pity and mercy, rather than the sword (suggesting that she might have overheard Kline’s discussion).

"Radiant Oath would prefer to hear that you provided aid whenever possible, but I trust that you do what you feel is right." Before departing, she gifts each of them with one piece of cinnamon seers candy (Pathfinder Treasure Vault 47).

This is you chance to purchase equipment you might need for the mission. If you are good to go, please indicate so with a post.

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

I know a few sprites are using Fly spells to augment their wings Zarina replies to Raindrop. Plus there are Humanoid Form spells that they can utilise.

She then listens to the briefing, frowning at the thought of those 'esoteric experiments'.

Grand Archive

Male Goblin (Snow) Core Bard (Multifarious) Archaeologist 10 | HP 116/116 | AC 28 | Fortitude +18, Reflex +19, Will +17 (Performer's Heart) | Perception +14 | Speed 25, climb 10 | Darkvision | Resist cold 5, void 1 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice +16 | Bard Spells 5th-1/3 4th-2/3 3rd-3/3 2nd-3/3 1st-2/3 | Focus 1/2 | Greater Mentalist's Staff 5/5 | Hero Points 1 | Provisions: scroll of breath of life 1/1 | Active Conditions: None| ◆◇↺

"I heard of Conference Z, before my Pathfinder days. Apparently they get special training to prevent them from being questioned, no matter how... er, fervent... the questioner is. They also study other planes and planets, plus more even I don't know about.

"The sword may be mercy for their experiments..."

Jiki takes the ammunition as arrows, and is willing to take any that are unused by agents whose training does not include ranged weapons.

Horizon Hunters

N male kobold (green dragonscale) fighter (marshal) 10 l HP 120/136 | AC 29 | F +20 (Juggernaut) R +16 W +17 (Juggernaut, Bravery) | Perc +18 (+20 for Ini. )| speed 20 ft | Hero 2 | Active Conditions: None

"Mission clear: We'll gather these items for the Pathfinder's hoard and destroy anything that dares to stand in our way!" Kohl answers, straightforwardly.

Grand Archive

M Goblin | Wizard 9 | ◆◇↺ | HP 59/69(78)| AC 26(27 w/shield) | F +14 R +17 W +13 | Perception +11 Darkvision |hero points 1/3| Resistances Fire 4 Negative 1 | Speed 25 (35) | 5/10 infused reagents | Focus 1/1 Active Conditions] Tailwind, False Vitality, Drained 1 |

Hobbs frowns thoughtfully at his more bloodthirsty companions but says nothing and instead blows more bubbles from his pipe.

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet

Raindrop squints at Eando a little, thinking about all of the other times her group was sent as far from 'society support' as possible.

She declines the oversized ammunition, but gladly accepts the candy.

Pocketing a scroll of mountain resilience, she prepares herself for teleportation.
Her eidolon, for his part, stands near her. It is hard to tell if the great beast is excited or bored. Probably both.


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

Once their preparatory hour is complete, the Pathfinders reassemble in a ritual chamber not far from the Waterfall’s office. Three hooded and cloaked spellcasters await them alongside the Decemvirate member. After wishing them luck on their mission, she gives them a bag of holding (type III) for any items they find, then directs them to step inside a circle inscribed with runes and esoteric equations, instructing that they stand extremely close together.

DC 26 Arcana, Nature, Occultism, or Religion check:
You notice that in addition to standard teleportation magic, some elements of Shadow Plane magic have been added to the runes. If you ask before being whisked away,
Spoiler:
the Waterfall simply replies, "I added some things to ensure the continued secrecy of the mission."

Once the spellcasting is complete, the walls of Skyreach fade from around them, replaced with the bright skies of the open ocean and a sharp breath of sea foam. They find themselves standing inside a crudely drawn chalk circle just behind a merchant vessel’s frontal mast and weasel-shaped figurehead. One of the Pathfinders: 1d6 ⇒ 2, Jiki the Flatulist, is instead caught up in the ship’s rigging about 10 feet above the others.

“Look lively and loosen those braces! I’ll not have our friends hangin’ from any yardarms now!” The commanding orders are barked out from near the ship’s wheel almost before any new arrivals can take stock of their situation. The crew springs into action, lowering the tangled Pathfinder gently to the ground with the others. Sporting an eye patch only slightly darker than his ashengray skin, the captain hops down from the wheel after handing it off to another sailor and offers a hearty handshake. “‘Gray’ Garret Ramsey at y’er service. Welcome aboard the Misty Misfit, hopefully now with 100% fewer mishaps, yar? Calisro told me we’d learn our final destination once you lot arrived. Care for a nip of rum or whiskey in the galley while ye tell us where we’re headed?”

See this Slide for the image of Gray Garrett Ramsay.

Once they get Jiki down from the rigging...

He invites them below deck to talk. Looking around the ship reveals that every single sailor on board is a retired Pathfinder agent, many sporting tattoos of Wayfinders or older glyphs that haven’t been actively used by the society in nearly a decade, including the symbol of the long-defunct Silver Crusade faction on Ramsey’s arm.

He waits for their response.

This is the point where you give the navigational chart (the wax-sealed scroll). You can choose to share as much or as little about your mission as you wish with the captain.

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Zarina also accepts the candy as well as the default healing potion.
Nature: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24

Upon arriving at the ship she looks disappointed.
Darn - two metres to the left and I would have been in the water

It's in this box Captain she says. That's all we know

Horizon Hunters

N male kobold (green dragonscale) fighter (marshal) 10 l HP 120/136 | AC 29 | F +20 (Juggernaut) R +16 W +17 (Juggernaut, Bravery) | Perc +18 (+20 for Ini. )| speed 20 ft | Hero 2 | Active Conditions: None

Kohl nods at Zarina's explanation. "Onward to adventure, captain. Wrongs to right, treasures to find!"

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet

Arcana: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30
Raindrop doesn't say anything about the magic - another curious bit of trivia, is all.

---

"Just a nip will be plenty, if you please - don't want to get completely knackered."

Once they reach the galley, and the scroll is handed over, she explains, "Even we haven't seen those charts yet. We need to get to some island - hopefully that points the way. Once we're there, we'll do the usual poking about and collecting clues, probably fight something nasty, and with luck find a certain chest that ..." she catches herself "... that someone asked us to find."


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

"Arrr, well then, let me cast me eye upon it!

The captain breaks the wax seal and unrolls the scroll. After studying the navigational charts for a bit, he’ll call out to his crew for a course change.

"Avast, me hearties!" he bellows, his eyes gleaming with excitement. "We be settin' sail for Chalk Island! Raise the anchor and trim the sails!"

He then turns back to the Pathfinders. "Our destination be Chalk Island, named so 'cause when the winds be high and dry, white dust from the island gets stirred up and blown out to sea. We'll be sailin' a full day to reach it, givin' ye plenty o' time to rest and make any preparations ye be needin'. So, ready yerselves, mates, for the journey ahead!" he says and leaves them be.

A day after their arrival on the ship, Captain Ramsey calls the Pathfinders to the deck— Chalk Island is in sight. A cloud of fine white dust seems to hover just above its densely packed, tree-filled interior and sharp-looking, dark green rocks surround its shores on all sides.

"Blast these foul serpentine shoals!" Ramsey curses, his voice thick with frustration. "Drop anchor far from the island, mates! The Misfit's deep draft can't handle these treacherous waters without riskin' severe, possibly catastrophic, damage. We'll not be takin' any chances."

He turns to the Pathfinders, a serious look in his eyes. "Ye'll have to make yer own way ashore in one o' the small boats. Steady hands and sharp eyes, now, for these waters be as dangerous as a shark's bite!"

The crew readies the dingy for them, their sturdy hands and encouraging words helping the Pathfinders down into the small boat. "Fear not, lads and lasses," one of the sailors grins, "ye'll be ashore in no time!"

Garret, the seasoned lookout, nods solemnly to the party. "I'll keep watch for any signs of trouble," he assures them. "If there be danger, I'll light up the sky with fireworks as a signal for ye to return to the boat. But best be quick about yer business, for haste might be the best course for all."

With the whole crew wishing them fair winds and smooth sailing, the Pathfinders shove off from the Misty Misfit, and they begin their journey to Chalk Island.

As we proceed from this point onwards, I'll be using the exploration activities you noted in the Macros. You can tell me if you want to change them at some point.

As they approach, there are indeed rocks that Captain Ramsey pointed out upon the ship’s arrival. While these are indeed razor-sharp, it looks like they don’t ring the entire perimeter of the island.

In order to find a safe landing site away from rocky hazards, the Pathfinders can attempt a DC 23 Nature, Perception, Survival, or relevant Lore check. Anyone using the Detect Magic exploration activity may instead attempt a DC 20 Arcana, Nature, Occultism, or Religion check. Anyone using the Search activity may roll twice and take the better result. This is a fortune effect. I am looking for a certain number of Success so roleplay and roll the dice away.

Zarina - ???
Kohl - ???
Jiki - ???
Raindrop - ???
Hobbs - ???
Isaku - ???

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Zarina offers to swim the distance in front of the boat, using a Waterbreathing spell.

Nature: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

She also has Feet to Fins

Horizon Hunters

N male kobold (green dragonscale) fighter (marshal) 10 l HP 120/136 | AC 29 | F +20 (Juggernaut) R +16 W +17 (Juggernaut, Bravery) | Perc +18 (+20 for Ini. )| speed 20 ft | Hero 2 | Active Conditions: None

Kohl gazes out over the water, looking for an opening in the shoals.

Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (15) + 18 = 33
Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (19) + 18 = 37

"Steer for the area without the rocks."

Grand Archive

Male Goblin (Snow) Core Bard (Multifarious) Archaeologist 10 | HP 116/116 | AC 28 | Fortitude +18, Reflex +19, Will +17 (Performer's Heart) | Perception +14 | Speed 25, climb 10 | Darkvision | Resist cold 5, void 1 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice +16 | Bard Spells 5th-1/3 4th-2/3 3rd-3/3 2nd-3/3 1st-2/3 | Focus 1/2 | Greater Mentalist's Staff 5/5 | Hero Points 1 | Provisions: scroll of breath of life 1/1 | Active Conditions: None| ◆◇↺

Jiki gets up as high as he can (which is unfortunately not very high) and scans the path for shoals.

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet

When the Eidolon is present (which he almost always is), his exploration activity is Scout (he doesn't have a lot of choices).
Which means Zarina could choose something else. =D

Raindrop grabs hold of the rail at the front of the little boat and her eidolon stands watch behind her. The pair scans the shore as the boat approaches.

Nature: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24
Nature: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32
Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34

"There! Definitely there!" Raindrop cries out, confirming everyone's thoughts on what looks safest.

Grand Archive

M Goblin | Wizard 9 | ◆◇↺ | HP 59/69(78)| AC 26(27 w/shield) | F +14 R +17 W +13 | Perception +11 Darkvision |hero points 1/3| Resistances Fire 4 Negative 1 | Speed 25 (35) | 5/10 infused reagents | Focus 1/1 Active Conditions] Tailwind, False Vitality, Drained 1 |

Hobbs sticks his head underwater and questions a few fish. He then uses some bread to lure nearby seabirds so he can consult with them and confirm his information.

Hobbs has Animal Elocutionist and would like to possibly use diplomacy to question any nearby fish and birds. If this is not acceptable then use his roll and add +11 for a perception check.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

Zarina, after casting a spell that allows her to breathe underwater and grants her fins for enhanced swimming, scans the depths with ease. Critical Success for spell usage

Khols, with his sharp eyes, quickly identifies safe pathways devoid of sharp rocks for navigation. Critical Success

Jiki tiptoes to get a better view of the surroundings, surprisingly improving his vantage point. Critical Success

Raindrop and her eidolon locate a safe route to row their boat closer to the coast. Critical Success

Hobbs sticks his head underwater and communicates with dolphins (instead of fish) swimming alongside them. They direct him to the safest route with their noses. Critical Success

You are all winning this.

Once they get past the rocky area, they discover that the rocky terrain is illusory and find a safe landing zone.

After arriving on the island proper, the Pathfinders discover the wreckage of a small Ulfen longboat broken in half on the rocky coastline.

DC 21 Crafting, Society, Survival, or relevant Lore:
You realize the painted markings and degradation of the hull indicate this shipwreck has only been here for a week or so. On a Crit Success on this check, it also reveals that
Spoiler:
the wreckage was stripped of rope and anything useful, suggesting there were survivors.

When they begin to trek inland from the coast, they soon find that the seemingly impermeable growth of trees they saw from the ship is also an illusory manipulation, hiding a rocky interior with only a few trees dotted around.

DC 21 Crafting, Nature, or relevant Lore check:
You realize the island contains huge deposits of soapstone and talc— the actual source for the white dust in the air.

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Once on shore, a soaking wet Zarina regains her human form and wades onto shore. She then helps beach the boat before reclaiming her gear and drying off before putting it all back on again.

Wow. That's some powerful illusions around this place

survival: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25
nature: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24

That wreck looks like it's only been here for a week ... and *sniffs* huh, talc and soapstone. No wonder this place is dusty.

She decides to wear a damp cloth over her nose and mouth - just in case.


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

Zarina easily determines what is with the wreckage and also identifies the reason why the island is dusty. She covers her nose and mouth to avoid inhaling such chemicals.

Continuing on, the Pathfinders find a small talc quarry half a mile inland. From afar, it seems that somebody is lying on the ground next to what looks like a campsite.

With some information at hand, what will you do?

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Zarina goes to see if the person is okay.
medicine: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

Horizon Hunters

N male kobold (green dragonscale) fighter (marshal) 10 l HP 120/136 | AC 29 | F +20 (Juggernaut) R +16 W +17 (Juggernaut, Bravery) | Perc +18 (+20 for Ini. )| speed 20 ft | Hero 2 | Active Conditions: None

Society: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 28
Crafting: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16

"These simple illusions can't fool crafty Pathfinders." Kohl rushes to keep up with Zaina.

Grand Archive

Male Goblin (Snow) Core Bard (Multifarious) Archaeologist 10 | HP 116/116 | AC 28 | Fortitude +18, Reflex +19, Will +17 (Performer's Heart) | Perception +14 | Speed 25, climb 10 | Darkvision | Resist cold 5, void 1 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice +16 | Bard Spells 5th-1/3 4th-2/3 3rd-3/3 2nd-3/3 1st-2/3 | Focus 1/2 | Greater Mentalist's Staff 5/5 | Hero Points 1 | Provisions: scroll of breath of life 1/1 | Active Conditions: None| ◆◇↺

Society: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26
Nature: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

Jiki can't figure out anything that his companions haven't already.

Grand Archive

M Goblin | Wizard 9 | ◆◇↺ | HP 59/69(78)| AC 26(27 w/shield) | F +14 R +17 W +13 | Perception +11 Darkvision |hero points 1/3| Resistances Fire 4 Negative 1 | Speed 25 (35) | 5/10 infused reagents | Focus 1/1 Active Conditions] Tailwind, False Vitality, Drained 1 |

Back at the wreckage...
Hobbs examines the remains of the longboat.

crafting: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (18) + 17 = 35
crafting: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (2) + 17 = 19

"Hmm...It appears that this craft has been salvaged of all useful items. That likely points to survivors. From the looks of things they've been stranded here for about a week."

As the group comes across the campsite Hobbs stops. "We don't want to startle that person unnecessarily. I'll attempt to wake him gently."

Hobbs invokes his magic and whispers to the person at the campsite. "Wake up, wake up. Do not be startled. You are rescued."

Hobbs casts message from some distance away

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet

Raindrop claps almost involuntarily when Zarina resurfaces. "That was really cool!"

"Also... yeah, weird rep for a place that's not actually that hard to land on."

She flies over the last bit of water to the beach, while her eidolon makes a powerful leap from the prow to land next to her.

Once the reach the camp (?), Raindrop starts down with the others excitedly, but pulls up at Hobbs's words.
"Oh. Uh, yeah. Okay, try that," she says, but her wings flex like they're about to snap a leash.


Mentorship and PC Level Bumps | Pathfinder Provisions | Downtime | Area Templates | ◆◇↺

Hobbs gets no response from somebody lying on the ground near its campsite when he tries to magically communicate with it from a distance.

They approach the site and instead find a dead orc woman with hair braided in Ulfen style who lies near a rudimentary campsite at the edge of the quarry, next to two shallow graves. Her body has no visible injuries, but her skin is shrunken and desiccated. The graves have grave markers using a +1 striking battle axe and a wooden shield with a lesser retaliation property rune affixed to it. Neither weapon nor shield looks like they have seen recent use.

Using Zarina's Medicine skill check, it is revealed that she died of old age despite her only being in her mid- 30s, suggesting supernatural forces at work. It also looks like the graves were dug by hand sometime in the last few days.

If anyone is courageous enough to dig and examine the shallow graves:
You find the corpses of two Ulfen women, but their conditions are quite different. With a successful DC 21 Medicine or Survival check,
Spoiler:
you unearth that they died from some sort of breathing issue, but also bear no signs of violence.

DC 26 Crafting, Nature, Perception, or relevant Lore check to recall something about the quarry:
Yes the quarry has lots of soapstone, and talc, but you also know that this mineral often forms alongside asbestos fibers, making it dangerous to inhale its white powder.

Checking the quarry, a windowless rectangular structure roughly two stories tall sits at the center of the landmass. Though it looks to have been fashioned from the existing rocks of the island, it’s evident this is some sort of building. As if to drive that point home, a dead body lies crumpled next to a stone door covered with ominous glyphs.

If you want to enter the quarry, you will need to roll DC 24 Fortitude save or be Drained 1 (Drained 2 on Crit Fail).

Zarina:
She gains +1 item bonus on the Fortitude save for covering her nose and mouth before entering the quarry.

Horizon Hunters

CN Sprite Summoner 8 (she/her) | Unnamed Primal Eidolon (he/him) | HP 110| AC 24 / 26 | F +16 R +16 / 14 W +15 | Perc +14 | Stealth +14 | Speed 30' | Explore: Search & Scout | ◆◇↺ | Character Sheet

"Ohh, poor woman. What a sad, strange way to go."

Nature: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33
"Okay, that building looks creepy as anything, and everyone needs to be super careful about inhaling any of that dust. powder. stuff."
The sprite ties a wet cloth around her face for protection. The eidolon looks at her curiously, his head tilted to one side, and she just waves him off. "Yeah, yeah, I know - you're not really real. Cheater."

Assuming we proceed...
Fortitude Raindrop: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (4) + 16 = 20 phooey!
Fortitude Eidolon: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28

Verdant Wheel

Female Human Druid (Wave/Aquatic) - 7 | 78/78hp | HP:0 | F:12, R:14, W:15 | AC25 | Perc:15 | VW | 124312-2004

Earlier ...

Thanks Raindrop. I just love using those two spells in unison to release my inner mermaid

Now ...

I think it's the talc sucking the moisture, that's why the body looks so desiccated.

Zarina makes sure her facemask is kept damp.
fort: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 12 + 1 = 33
nature: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16

Horizon Hunters

N male kobold (green dragonscale) fighter (marshal) 10 l HP 120/136 | AC 29 | F +20 (Juggernaut) R +16 W +17 (Juggernaut, Bravery) | Perc +18 (+20 for Ini. )| speed 20 ft | Hero 2 | Active Conditions: None

"A sensible precaution. Why were these adventurers poking around the quarry? We should check out that building."

Kohl also wets a cloth and ties it around his snout.

Unless someone objects...

He retrieves the axe and shield from the grave sites.

Fortitude (Juggernaut): 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (5) + 20 = 25

Radiant Oath

2396852-2001 | LG Male Human | Detective | Investigator Lvl 7 | Psychic Dedication |◆◇↺ | Spells: -/1/2 | HP 95/95 | AC 26 | F/R/W: 14/15/13 | Perc +15 (+16 Pursue a Lead/Detect Traps) | 25 feet | Class DC 24 | Exploration Activity: Scout | Hero Points: 1/3 Ammo: 50 | Throwing Knives: 2 | +1 SH: 14/14

Isaku digs at the graves and finds a pair of corpses of two Ulfen women. Examining them closely (Assurance Medicine 23), Isaku determines that they died from some sort of breathing disorder. He scribbles the information in his notebook. Pursue a Lead - what killed these women?)

Crafting(E): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17
and the dice bot hates me...

Retcon - Isaku purchases as moderate antiplague and drinks it down before setting off (+3 vs Disease for 24h). Sorry. Just catching up now.

Grand Archive

Male Goblin (Snow) Core Bard (Multifarious) Archaeologist 10 | HP 116/116 | AC 28 | Fortitude +18, Reflex +19, Will +17 (Performer's Heart) | Perception +14 | Speed 25, climb 10 | Darkvision | Resist cold 5, void 1 | Default Exploration: Avoid Notice +16 | Bard Spells 5th-1/3 4th-2/3 3rd-3/3 2nd-3/3 1st-2/3 | Focus 1/2 | Greater Mentalist's Staff 5/5 | Hero Points 1 | Provisions: scroll of breath of life 1/1 | Active Conditions: None| ◆◇↺

"But I like breathing! It makes my songs much better when I do." He prepares a face mask for himself.

Fortitude: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (7) + 18 = 25

Grand Archive

M Goblin | Wizard 9 | ◆◇↺ | HP 59/69(78)| AC 26(27 w/shield) | F +14 R +17 W +13 | Perception +11 Darkvision |hero points 1/3| Resistances Fire 4 Negative 1 | Speed 25 (35) | 5/10 infused reagents | Focus 1/1 Active Conditions] Tailwind, False Vitality, Drained 1 |

crafting: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (11) + 17 = 28

Raindrop - Iceman wrote:
"Okay, that building looks creepy as anything, and everyone needs to be super careful about inhaling any of that dust. powder. stuff."

"That makes sense. Asbestos fibers are no joke." Hobbs dunks a handkerchief in some pickle juice and secures it over his nose and mouth and heads into the quarry to investigate the glyphs on the door.

fortitude: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

1 to 50 of 233 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Frost's S05-11 Equal Exchanges - The Hidden Current [PaizoCon Online 2024 PbP] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.