GM ShadowLord's Gatewalkers

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

Map
Edra - Defending
Osiris - Navigating
Jank -
Enyo - Investigating
Leiko -Scouting


1 to 50 of 253 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Certain instances linger as though they span an eternity, while others fade so swiftly, they might as well have been illusions. From that instance—or non-instance—when you pursued your dreams and disappeared from this realm for a span of three months, many such instances have unfolded. Like the steady stream of a river, they have mostly passed you by.

You met Dr. Ritalson, a man whose fastidiousness and formality mirrored that of his order, the Illuminated Consortium of Epopts.

You encountered fellow travelers, individuals akin to yourself whom Ritalson declared to be "The finest among the elite!"

You endured interminable interviews with the Doctor, sometimes in the presence of a scribe, more frequently alongside a strange device that Ritalson claims records your dialogue—an artifact he believes will prove invaluable to those who will someday study the past. These are instances meant to be significant.

You were subjected to rigorous physical examinations, tests that stretched and probed the limits of your newfound abilities. Always challenging, at times verging on torture. These are instances you would rather erase from memory.

And then there was the rain. Torrents of it. The paths leading north and east from Ustalav show little mercy, and even the 'grand' routes to Brevoy are prone to flooding, especially come spring. Even with the interventions from the burgeoning realm of Nightsong to the southwest of Brevoy, which brings a touch of civilization and superior roadwork, your voyage has been drawn out, plodding, and supremely sodden. Instances slip away, just like raindrops cascading off your visage. They're not missing, but they're lost nonetheless.


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

Leiko sat alone, the weight of exhaustion heavy on her shoulders. She carefully disassembled her Mithral Tree, each metallic piece reflecting the cold, clinical light. Her hands moved with the practiced precision of someone who had cleaned her weapon countless times, but today was different. The tests, the examinations, the near-torturous trials had left her physically and mentally drained.

As she meticulously cleaned the barrel, she gazed out of a rain-splattered window onto a world drenched in relentless downpour. The torrential rain seemed to mirror the turmoil within her. Leiko's green eyes, once filled with determination, were now clouded with fatigue and frustration. She knew she should be grateful for the opportunity to uncover the secrets of the Missing Moment, yet the invasive tests and probing questions had left her feeling more lost than ever.

She muttered to herself, her voice barely above a whisper, "What did they take from me that night? What am I missing?" Her fingers trembled slightly as she reassembled the weapon, the Mithral Tree's elegant design a stark contrast to the harsh reality of her situation.

Leiko continued to stare out into the rain-soaked darkness, hoping for a flicker of memory, a clue, anything that would offer a glimpse into the enigmatic past she had lost. But the raindrops on the window only distorted her reflection, leaving her with unanswered questions and a profound sense of unease.


Kineticist 1| HP 21/21 | AC 17 | F+9 R+7 W+4 | Percep +4 | Acro +5, Med/Nat +4

Edra trained alone by a pond, practicing his water manipulation. He moved and flung it around, hitting trees and rocks, muttering to himself about how he needed to be better, how he needed to be stronger. He was exhausted after all of the day's tests, but still couldn't rest, knowing how weak he was.

Suddenly, he turned around, blasting a rock with a burst of fire, scorching its surface but causing no real damage. His practice continued while the others waited or socialized, Edra continued to practice by relentlessly slashing trees with blades of water. He hated his fire, even though it was recognized as an incredible feat.

When he returned from his missing moment, he was furious and confused. He destroyed his own house and burned his land. Even though the fire came from his eyes, granted to him by the missing moment, he still bore hatred toward his own ability to harness the elemental plain of fire.

Another thought crossed Edra's mind. From what he had heard, most of the marks given to gatewalkers after returning from the missing moment were located on the back of their neck. But Edra's mark was in his left eye. It was unusual not to have it on the back of your neck, even more so to have it replace a pupil. He wondered if it had something to do with the ability he was granted during the missing moment, perhaps it had a connection, perhaps not.


Male Human Inventor 1 | HP: 15 | AC: 15 | F:+4 R:+5 W:+7 | Perception: +5

Osiris gripped tightly to his retired utensils and stared into the glint of his empty plate. His mindlessness was suddenly interrupted as a sharp wave of hunger shook his body. He was sick of using his ability and of the constant travel. ”I shouldn’t have used it today”, he thought. Each morning, after dreaming up the possibilities of what lay within the elf gate, Osiris would wake excited to use his ability. He wanted to breach back into that perfect world and leave everything else behind. But just as regularly as he would desire to use his deviant powers, he would regret it. His body was racked with pain, and he felt crushed by a phantom’s weight. He mumbled, “Anyone up for a game of cards?”. Doubtful of whether he even wanted a response. He rested his eyes back onto his grimy plate, cursing his hunger as his mind drifted back into oblivion.


Male Human | Alchemist 1 (Toxicologist) | 17/17 hp | 14 AC |F/R/W:6/5/6 | P: 6 | Crafting +7 | Medicine +7 | Arcana +7

The bar was loud that day. Only 3 months after she died, the noise was enough to drown out the sorrow. He was getting better; he was almost healed from the tragedy of her death. Until the light appeared. The bright, blinding light. He saw her. He was drawn to her. Memories filled his head, memories of her. Memories that weren't... his?

Three months passed in that time. All had seemed infinitely long, yet infinitely short at the same time. He had emerged from the light, with one goal in mind. He was going to bring her back.

Hours turned to days. Tinkering, experimenting. Through his time with her, the false time, the time in the light. He'd emerged with a new ability, one to surely help bring her back. She guided him, her invisible hand floated through the air. He was the only one who could see it. The tinkering never worked. He hadn't achieved his goal. "Why won't it just WORK?!?" He shouted in distress. "I just... no. I'm going to bring you back. Is that alright... Is it?" He muttered desperately, as if trying to gasp for breath. A tear came out his eye, as he squeezed the unseen hand. To him, it was hers. All that was left of her. "I'll make it for you, a potion, elixir, drug, anything... as long as it brings you back." He pleaded. Turning back towards his work, lowering his goggles, Jank meddled with his chemicals for days afterwards. Hoping, praying.


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Onyinyo huddles against a tree, wringing some of the water out of his tunic. Dr. Ritalson warned them it would be damp but this was something else. He briefly glances at the others in a small mirror propped on a branch. Why did I tell them to call me Enyo?! That was his name! He reaches his hand out, collecting rainwater in his palm. His hand shimmers as each drop hits, seeming to flicker and disappear. Onyino sighs and reaches for his waterskin, "I just wanted a drink."

From over at the table, he hears Osiris ask about cards. He collects his gear and walks over, a nervous smile plastered to his face, "I'm game."

Rest of the party know him as Enyo


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

As the story begins, the spoiler below is what your character knows about Sevenarches. Make a recall knowledge Society check. You can recall knowledge even if it's untrained if you like; you don't have as good of a modifier.

At the bottom of your new post, type [dice=Society]1d20+x[/d]. Replace X with your modifier and replace the trailing tag of /d with /dice. If I put it in the example above, the forums would interpret it as a dice roll instead of showing you the example.

Once you have the bbcode for the dice roll in, hit preview. It will show you what your roll will be. Your roll is saved no matter what you do, like cancel the post or wait until alter; it's locked in and won't change regardless of what you post. Once you have that number, open the spoiler below, read only your section, and then close the spoiler. It is most time-efficient for me to post everything here and let you identify your correct area and respond accordingly. I don't mind you looking at spoilers that don't belong to you as long as you can separate the ability to know that information as a player and not use it as a character and metagaming. If you can't do that, just close the spoiler when you are done with your section, and don't tempt yourself.

Recall Knowledge: Society DC15:

Critical Failure (1-5): The citizens of Sevenarches quiver under the brutal thumb of the Oakstewards, wicked druids whose blasphemous rites drove away the region’s native elves long ago. Heroic First World folk frequently send their bravest soldiers to Sevenarches’ capital city to fight the Oakstewards, but the druids’ defenses against the fey have proven impervious.

Failure (6-14):Beyond its strict ban against elves, you’ve heard very little of the River Kingdom of Sevenarches.

Success (15-24): Long ago, elves dwelled in the verdant forests of Sevenarches, and it’s believed they built the stone arches that give the region and its eponymous capital city their name. Now, Sevenarches is overseen by the Oakstewards—enigmatic druids who prohibit elves from even entering the kingdom’s borders. This ostensibly has to do with the obnubilate curse, a mysterious affliction that kills any elf who dares go near one of the Seven Arches. In the wake of the Missing Moment, however, rumor has it that the curse has been lifted.

Critical Success (25+): As success, and: Sevenarches is rife with magical wildlife and fantastical creatures. Peculiar, shadowy fey called gorgas are among the region’s more troublesome native denizens. Since the Missing Moment, gorga attacks against Sevenarches’ homesteaders have become more frequent—and vicious.

GATEWALKERS
Chapter 1: Mighty Oaks Do Fall

The adventure begins with the party arriving at the border of Sevenarches, a few miles from its capital city of the same name. You've come here with Dr. Etward Ritalson, your employer and the founder of the paranormalist investigation group to which you belong, the Doctor’s
Illuminated Consortium of Epopts.

The doctor’s ultimate aim is for you, his agents, to unravel the mystery of the Missing Moment. He’s chosen his most promising initiates to investigate the most likely lead: the sudden cessation of the obnubilate curse and other strange events in Sevenarches whose onset coincided
with the Missing Moment.

At the border gate to Sevenarches—a low bridge across a stream just beyond a bustling caravanserai—Dr. Ritalson bids the characters farewell. Before he leaves you, though, he addresses you in person one last time, then offers to answer any last-minute questions you have about you mission.

Sighing, Dr. Ritalson uses a black handkerchief to mop the sweat from his age-spotted forehead. “I fear this is as far as I accompany you,” he says. “I have matters to attend to farther east.” He smiles fondly. “I’ve no doubt that you can handle this investigation yourselves. Of all my field researchers, you show the greatest promise for uncovering the secrets of the hidden world."

“I need not remind you of the importance of your mission.” He points to the mysterious rune emblazoned across his throat—the same mark that brought you together, the one you all share. “Three months ago, we embarked upon a mystery. All across the world, elven teleportation gates—aiudara—burst with light and lured people like us in with visions of our greatest desires. A subset of we so-called ‘gatewalkers’ returned from the sojourn—some, like you, bearing fascinating new abilities. We all, however, remain ignorant of what befell us on the other side of our doorway, how we came to be marked with this unknown sign, or what may have happened to those who did not return.”

He chuckles ruefully. “In every university and seminary, scholars are ransacking their libraries to understand this ‘Missing Moment.’ Yet I believe that we—that you—will succeed where they all fail. For our quest into the paranormal is not merely academic, but personal."

“Toward that end, I’ve given you my most promising lead: Sevenarches. For centuries, any elf who approached the city’s infamous Seven Arches has been subject to a terrible curse. Yet, on the night of the Missing Moment, the curse was somehow lifted. We need to know why. The city’s famed aiudara no doubt hold some of the answers we seek, and moreover represent a prime research opportunity to study the portals in person. That’s where you come in.“To help, I’ve arranged for you to meet with an old associate of mine. Fianara Caralestri claims to have crucial information about the arches. Ah, and there she is now!”

An elven woman wearing traveling leathers and a backpack overflowing with scrolls waves from the caravanserai’s porch.

The characters have the chance to ask Dr. Ritalson any questions they might have before he takes his leave.


Male Human Inventor 1 | HP: 15 | AC: 15 | F:+4 R:+5 W:+7 | Perception: +5

”Pleasure to meet you,” Osiris extends his hand with unassuming posture, showing the same respect he would show the lords who used to employ him. ”How long have you known Dr. Ritalson?”, following her answer, Osiris wove many other questions into his conversation. He hoped to ascertain if he could trust her. Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

”I look forward to working with you,” Osiris once more offers a hand shake before backing away.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Osiris feels confident that Fianara is a trustworthy person. Ritalson feels comfortable around her and he doesn't sense any deception right now.

Fianara's demeanor suggests years spent in both fieldwork and study. Her eyes, bright with curiosity and intelligence, meet Osiris's gaze as she takes his hand in a firm, confident handshake. There's a roughness to her grip, testament to her hands-on approach to her scholarly pursuits. Fianara's attire, practical yet marked with subtle hints of elven elegance, speaks of her dual life as an adventurer and a researcher. Her expression is warm, yet there's a sharpness to her eyes, indicative of a mind that's constantly analyzing and observing.

Osiris Darby wrote:
”How long have you known Dr. Ritalson?”

She says, "I've known Doc Etty for quite a few years now. We've traveled together, exploring ancient ruins and delving into the mysteries of the aiudara. He's always been a bit eccentric, but that's part of his charm. His theories, as wild as they sometimes sound, are often on the mark. He's a brilliant mind, even if he does come off as a 'cracked nut' at times."


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

society: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
Read up, you are welcome :D

"Ahhh, so you and the good doc used to explore together.", her voice steady and measured, "Doc, Would you be willing to share some of your experiences? It might help us understand the challenges we face."

"And you," Leiko extended a hand in greeting, a polite smile on her lips. "Fianara Caralestri, it's a pleasure to meet you," she said, her voice warm with genuine interest. "Can I call you FC? Great! FC, I understand you have vital information about Sevenarches. I'm eager to learn more about our destination and what you can share with us."

Leiko's expression turned pensive as she contemplated the journey ahead. She couldn't help but think about her own heritage as a half-elf. With a slight furrow of her brow, she confessed, "I've heard of the obnubilate curse that plagued Sevenarches, how it claimed the lives of any elf who ventured near the arches. My mixed blood gives me pause, but if the curse has indeed been lifted as rumors suggest, I'm willing to face the unknown."


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Esoteric Lore: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 2 = 5

Shockingly, Onyinyo seems unaware of Sevenarches, another gap in a long series of missing information, maybe he remembers something but I haven't found a way to ask.

As Fianara approaches, he steps forward, "A pleasure to meet you, ma'am. Dr. Ritalson was just telling us you're an old associate of his. I'm On err Enyo." He flushes, I need to work on that! "The first questions that came to mind when we learned the curse had been lifted were about timing and scope. Are all elves now able to enter Severarches? Even if they did not enter an aiudara? And do we know who made that discovery? I assume it was someone who came back, do we know how long they were gone?" He's practically hopping from one foot to another and it's obvious Onyinyo has many more questions to ask but is trying to keep himself in check.

Questions we would have asked previously:
- Do we know how long Dr Ritalson was gone? What his power is?
- Among Gatewalkers, are the powers openly discussed? Same for regular people.
- Are Gatewalkers pariahs/heroes/anomalies unknown to most people? Likely depends on where we are, but in Sevenarches?
- Have we heard rumors of Gatewalkers that went bad?


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Fianara greets the other party members with a smile.

Ritalson chimes in on the questions about the curse "As for the obnubilate curse, it is a terrible affliction, clearly magical in nature. First you fall unconscious, then you shrivel up, lose your memory, and dissolve into ash. Thankfully, it affects only elves.” He pauses awkwardly at Leiko, "...not that this makes it any less tragic, of course!"

Ritalson continues "Anyway, I am confident that you will be safe." He continues soothingly. "Fianara herself was the first to contact me about it and as you can see she is quite unharmed. I have no intention of risking any of my fellow Gatewalkers."

Fianara nods in affirmation to Ritalson's statement. "It was I who made the discovery."

Ritalson adds "I must be off, do you have any questions for me before I head out?"

Enyo's questions:

Questions we would have asked previously:
- Do we know how long Dr Ritalson was gone? What his power is?
No.
- Among Gatewalkers, are the powers openly discussed? Same for regular people.
It's not taboo to discuss them.
- Are Gatewalkers pariahs/heroes/anomalies unknown to most people? Likely depends on where we are, but in Sevenarches?
There are mixed response. Fear from some, envy from others. It's definitely more skewed to a negative but awe-inspiring reaction.
- Have we heard rumors of Gatewalkers that went bad?
Perhaps, it would not be out of line. People gain new power and were shady to begin with. Most didn't return, so there are not tons of Gatewalkers out there to begin with.


Kineticist 1| HP 21/21 | AC 17 | F+9 R+7 W+4 | Percep +4 | Acro +5, Med/Nat +4

Edra who was standing in the back as he isn’t the most social or charismatic, now pushes his way to the front of the group. “Wait Doctor, you went through the gate correct? What ability were you granted? I think I speak for all of us when I say we would like to know what you can do.” Edra stares at Ristalson with a curious and an almost nervous look in his eyes. wonder why he hasn’t used it yet…


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

When asked about what we can do, he chuckles and adjusts his spectacles. Looking at Edra he responds "Correct. I am a Gatewalker, just like all of you. Aside from my eyes turning this color, I have the ability to detect other Gatewalkers. How else do your think I would know to assemble you all!"

When someone asks how you report back to him, Dr. Ritalson looks surprised and a little uncomfortable. “Oh! Right! Well, I suppose if you can find a secure way to get a message to me, that would be grand. Otherwise we’ll have to wait until both our investigations are concluded, and we meet back in Lepidstadt. We wouldn’t want anyone to intercept a message and steal the thunder of our discovery!”

"Now then," he continues, getting you back on track "I'm off for Uringen, famous for half of it disappearing and reappearing at random intervals. It’s been happening for decades, so it’s perhaps unrelated to our present matter, but worth investigating all the same."

Looking to Fianara, he adds "Follow Fianara. With her help, we’ll finally know what happened to you beyond those gates! And fame, no doubt. Perhaps even tenure—or at least whatever treasures you discover."

When the questions are done, he departs and begins to make his way towards Uringen.


Kineticist 1| HP 21/21 | AC 17 | F+9 R+7 W+4 | Percep +4 | Acro +5, Med/Nat +4

Edra nods and turns back towards his companions and their new found guide. Well then with that said, I suppose we should be on our way then? if they could recognize me as a leader… let me bring us the victory and knowledge we all so desperately crave… maybe then I’d be strong enough.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

“As I told Doc Etty,” Fianara says, “I have some information I think you’ll find useful—but if you want it, I need help with my own research first.”

She points across the bridge. “I’d like to test a theory, but the Oakstewards still aren’t letting elves into Sevenarches. To be honest, I’m not especially keen to test the rumor about the curse suddenly unlifting, nor the uptick in attacks from gorgas—monstrous, shadow-eyed fey creatures, if you’re unfamiliar.” She shrugs. “What can I say? I’m a reader and writer, not an adventurer. So here’s what I need: Sevenarches is supposedly named for the cluster of seven aiudara in the middle of the city. Well, I’ve been going through old records, and I’ve reason to believe those arches are fake—decoys to draw attention away from the real arches. But if I want to publish my findings, I need proof.”

From her bag, Fianara withdraws a foot-long glass tube with a cluster of hollow bulbs at one end like a mace. “This is an aura recorder I’ve keyed specifically to aiudara. When you pass it through an aiudara, it will record the gate’s magical signature. I’d like you to go to the town’s center then use this to read the aura of one of the gates there. If I’m right, this will prove that the aura of the supposed ‘Seven Arches’ is all wrong for true aiudara.”

She holds the reader out for someone to take. Who's going to hold on to it?

"Now then, tell me about your skills and abilities. What are each of you good at?"


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Do we know anyone who's gone through multiple times? If two people approach one from different sides, can they see each other? eg is it an empty arch or more like a door/portal?


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

As far as you are aware, each of you has only been through a gate once, but you can't remember the details. The gates are inactive, so it's completely transparent.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Fianara explains “Aiudara's are an ancient network of magical portals, sometimes crudely referred to as ‘elf gates.’ They always take the form of stone arches, and each is activated by a specific magical key that opens a portal to a linked gate somewhere else on the Material Plane. Many aiudara and their keys have been lost, so only a few functional gates are known to remain—which makes the sudden activation of so many defunct ones on the night of the Missing Moment all the stranger.”


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Onyinyo reaches out to take the aura recorder. "I can hold on to that for now. Have the el... aiudara returned to their previous functionality? Can they be used to travel again?" He turns the reader over in his hands, "do you know if we can pass this to someone through the aiudara or if we need to carry it? I admit I'm a bit nervous about stepping through again. I'm also curious about the range, could we use this to find other gates? Assuming the Seven Arches themselves are fake of course ..."


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Fianara shakes her head no "As far as I'm aware, no. They haven't returned to working and remain dormant."

She thinks on the following question "I don't believe someone is required to accompany it, but the recorder must be held in the arch for at least twenty consecutive seconds. You'll know if you have it correct because it will light up and shine once the information is recorded."


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

Leiko furrowed her brow at Fianara's mention of the curse possibly unlifting. Her voice tinged with unease, she asked, "FC, are you certain about the curse? It's been a shadow over our kind for generations. If it's truly unlifting, that's unsettling. Do I need to take any precautions?"

Leiko contemplated her options. "Not only that, being a half-elf," she mused, "might present challenges at the city gates. What other options do we have to get in? Will I need to hide who I am?"

Leiko paces as she rattles off question after question. "The increased gorgas activity is troubling. We'll need to be on guard. Do the Oakstewards have any strategies in place to address this threat? Will we need to be concerned with whatever defenses they may also possess?"

When Fianara inquired about their skills, Leiko straightened her posture, a determined glint returning to her eyes. "Ahhhh, I am sure you are familiar with this weapon so it should need no introduction." she began, "With it, I specialize in a blend of ranged and melee combat, utilizing the Mithral Tree to provide me a unique advantage in both accuracy and defense. I'm an expert marksman, capable of precise shots from afar, but I'm equally comfortable in close quarters, using the weapon to parry attacks." She continued, "Long story short, I am a problem solver. I shoot first, then ask questions later."


Kineticist 1| HP 21/21 | AC 17 | F+9 R+7 W+4 | Percep +4 | Acro +5, Med/Nat +4

I suppose we are doing introductions then… Edra lights up one hand with a small flame and a sphere of water forms in the other. I also specialize in ranged combat, my flames burn bright and hit hard, I’m known for my accuracy where I’m from. But don’t let that fool you I’m not just a killing machine, I also can heal my friends with this water, I also have some medical training. I should probably mention my versatility aswell Edra put out his previous flame and releases the water, now sticking out his right hand and making a finger gun whilst closing his left eye, a white and blue flame appears on the tip of his pointer finger, then quickly engulfs his hand. This is no ordinary flame however, I possess a unique ability among kineticists, most people just call it kinetic versatility, I think that’s too boring however, I have named this ability technique reversal, this flame in holding out actually burns with a chilling cold instead of a scorching heat. Edra then pretends to shoot the finger gun into the air and the flame extinguishes.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Fianara nods along with Leiko and Edra as they introduce themselves and describe their unique abilities. "Very nice. Very convenient. I can see why Doc Etty chose you two."

Turning to look at Jank, Enyo, and Osiris, she asks "And you three? What can you do?"


Male Human | Alchemist 1 (Toxicologist) | 17/17 hp | 14 AC |F/R/W:6/5/6 | P: 6 | Crafting +7 | Medicine +7 | Arcana +7

Jank stands in the back of the party, listening to the words the others have been saying. Taking mental note of all the important sounding words. After Edra had introduced himself, Jank pipes up for the first time. Making himself noticeable to the rest of the group. “I specialize in creating and utilizing deadly toxins and mixes to fight back against those against me, yet I can also be effective at healing and boosting my allies in combat. “ He smiles, as if happy to hear his own achievements. Then his face goes back to a stern tone, before questioning Fianara. “I wonder, if these missions turn out to be dangerous, we’ll be putting our lives on the line for the sake of your mission. I have no interest in treasure, and although I am curious about the science of the gates, it is yet to be my main concern. The real question is, why should I risk my life for you? Whats in it for me? “ He steps forward, towards Fianara. As if sizing himself up. The glass beakers in his satchels clatter making an irritable noise. He speaks one final time”I assume that not all of us will come out of this unscathed, maybe even alive. Why should I follow you guys?”


TG1 | GW | FF | RH
Leiko Littner wrote:
"FC, are you certain about the curse? It's been a shadow over our kind for generations. If it's truly unlifting, that's unsettling. Do I need to take any precautions?"

Fianara says "Doc Etty told me you were the creative types and you'd figure something out. I'm counting on that. I'm sure he wouldn't send you in there if he wasn't certain the curse was going to affect you."

Leiko wrote:
"Not only that, being a half-elf might present challenges at the city gates. What other options do we have to get in? Will I need to hide who I am?"

Fianara says "Indeed it might. You notice that I'm not going in, so again, I am relying on the fact that your group has the ability to overcome these challenges. Am I wrong to assume this? Do I have the wrong group of people before me now?"

Leiko wrote:
"The increased gorgas activity is troubling. We'll need to be on guard. Do the Oakstewards have any strategies in place to address this threat? Will we need to be concerned with whatever defenses they may also possess?"

Fianara says "The Oakstewards of Sevenarches are a militant group of Druids committed to their cause of protecting their kingdom’s namesake magical archway. Assume they will use lethal force if required. That said, keep in mind the Oakstewards are not our enemy. They are simply trying to do their job and protect and defend. Your goal should not be to cause them injury or offense."

Jank wrote:
“I wonder, if these missions turn out to be dangerous, we’ll be putting our lives on the line for the sake of your mission. I have no interest in treasure, and although I am curious about the science of the gates, it is yet to be my main concern. The real question is, why should I risk my life for you? Whats in it for me? I assume that not all of us will come out of this unscathed, maybe even alive. Why should I follow you guys?”

Finara frowns, folding her arms across her chest. She reminds the party of what Dr. Ritalson said, that they’re making a trade of information. "You get me my recordings, I'll tell you some crucial information you'd like to know to further your cause."

Fianara is a scholar and information is her game, but you can press her for more than information if you like. Make a successful Diplomacy or Intimidation check against her if you wish.


Male Human | Alchemist 1 (Toxicologist) | 17/17 hp | 14 AC |F/R/W:6/5/6 | P: 6 | Crafting +7 | Medicine +7 | Arcana +7

Jank frowns back, but also feels reassured knowing that she stays firm on the information tradeoff. As long as he receives the information he desires, he will gladly follow along. “Those recordings must be really important to you huh?” he mocks, though now he seems more interested in the mission. He begins to start fidgeting with his satchel and the contents inside, as if he’s confirming inventory, making sure he has everything he needs. Finally readjusting his bag, he takes his foggy goggles off his dark colored eyes, seeing everyone without the tint of glass is a nice change. He slides the goggles to the top of his forehead, as if signaling that he’s ready.


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Onyinyo smiles, "I'm Enyo, also a scholar of sorts. I know quite a bit about many things and am good at finding weaknesses. Or creating them when necessary. I imagine I'll be up front trying not to get hit by anything. Including out friend waving the tree!" He chuckles and pretends to hide from Leiko behind his hammer. "Are you sure there isn't anything else we should know? I have a feeling you're saving the juicy nuggets for after you've decided we're the real deal."
Diplo: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Human Inventor 1 | HP: 15 | AC: 15 | F:+4 R:+5 W:+7 | Perception: +5

”I used to build weapons for people, so I’m somewhat skilled as a crafter, but don’t expect me to do the work of a warrior.”
Osiris thinks about his old life, his oft vandalized home, how he never spoke to anyone if not for business or gambling; he thinks about the opportunity before him.
”I guess my life is a bit different now…”
”I’m good at getting people to do things my way, and I’ve had some experience with a sword. My greatest skill resides with gambling, I love a good game of cards… You all have impressive skills- how about we get to business?”


Kineticist 1| HP 21/21 | AC 17 | F+9 R+7 W+4 | Percep +4 | Acro +5, Med/Nat +4

Edra bellows a deep laugh and grins ear to ear ”I like the sound of it Mr Darby, let’s get on with it… Gatewalkers.”


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Continued probing elicits an eye roll from Fianara. In this case, she offers the party what’s left of her research grant—5 gp—if they bring back the data she needs.

"You should be all set. I can’t give many more details about the locale. I trust you to come up with your own plan. I know that the arches are a popular attraction, but that non-residents are kept at a safe distance by alarmed barriers and guards. I suggest you try to be discreet. The Oakstewards don’t take kindly to troublemakers,” she notes.

To aid the your mission, Fianara supplies you with a standard disguise kit and five replacement cosmetics.

***

Getting to Sevenarches is easy. The citizen guards at the border aren’t Oakstewards, and they wave non-elven visitors through without issue.

You have half-elf with you, what are we doing about that to get into town past the guards who aren't letting elves in? If you want to create a disguise, whoever is trained best in Deception should try to Impersonate to create a disguise for Leiko.


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

"Do you have the wrong people for the task? Let me ask you this, would you prefer a crew that asked exactly zero questions before proceeding? I'd much rather be prepared before we head out." Lieko pauses briefly, "And I knooow you would too." she scoffs.

Seeing Fianara hand over the disguise kit. "See? I knew it. You had this all along and were just testing us!" Leiko's green eyes twinkle with excitement. "Now who knows how to use this stuff? When we get close, someone will have to play dress up the half-elf. I suppose the simplest task would be to make me look more human, to fit in with everyone else in our party" Leiko's eyes shift to Onyinyo. "Well almost everyone"

Leiko tightens her grip on her Mithral Tree as she talks with determination, "Now FC, point us the way to go!"


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Onyinyo looks through the kit and pulls a few pieces out, holding them up next to Leiko to find the best fit. He spends some time using prosthetics and stage makeup to change her profile, softening Leiko's elven features and highlighting her human side. He eventually steps back and turns to the others. "How does that work? Hopefully, Leiko will blend in now."

GM:
Deception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Fianara wishes you luck and tells your party she will wait for your return. "Remember," she adds, reiterating a previous detail on the recorder, "The recorder must be extended through the gate for at least twenty seconds to activate! Make sure to wait the full twenty seconds!"

The aura recorder has all the physical properties of a typical hourglass.

The city of Sevenarches is just a few miles down the road. As you approach, it becomes apparent there are guards stationed outside of the town who are doing cursory inspections of those coming and going.

Guards Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Thankfully, and with more than a bit of luck, the group can bypass the guards - who are so more interested in the gnome than any of the others that they pay very little attention to the rest of the group.

SEVENARCHES

Sevenarches - At a glance:

Sevenarches is built at the confluence of two streams, the Wendwater and Fogmorn Creek, which continue their flow eastward to join the Sellen River eventually. A third, artificial waterway known merely as the Canal connects the two streams west of their natural meeting, turning the city’s central district into an island.The entire city is built atop the stone ruins of a pre-Earthfall elven settlement, and much of that repurposed architecture is still visible beneath the wooden human additions and the vines that seem to cover every surface in the city. Trees and shrubs line the streets and flourish in parks, with many residents simply building around them rather than risk the ire of the Oakstewards.

Sevenarches is a large town with a rough population of four thousand. It doesn't take much more than following the main road into the city to arrive at Arch Plaza. Seven stone archways stand in a neat circle in this central town plaza. Each arch is twenty feet tall and ten feet wide. Multicolored lights of unknown provenance warp and weave across the arches’ stone faces.

Surrounding the arches is a circle of dwarf oak trees, each just ten feet tall. A hempen rope tied around the tree trunks forms a barricade whose only gap is just south of the arches, an entrance guarded by two serious-looking men with staves and flowing green cloaks - Oakstewards. Shops, inns, and merchant wagons surround the busy square. To the southeast, a small podium rises five feet high.

How would you like to proceed? If you have no idea, you can attempt to ask around town to gather some information about the security around the arches. If so, it's a diplomacy check. I'm open to alternative courses of action.


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Onyinyo takes a moment to admire the trees encircling the arches. He catches Leiko's eye and nods toward a shaded doorway that does not look busy, "keep a low profile, I have a feeling we just got lucky. I need to do some more practice." He turns and walks toward the merchant wagons, perusing their wares and asking questions, never spending too much time with one vendor.

- "Those guards look so serious! Has anyone tried to approach the arches?"
- "Do the lights ever change color?"
- "How late are you out here? Is there a curfew?"
- "You have the most famous cake in the land? I'm so glad I found you!!
- "They're magnificent. Will the guards let me ask questions?"
- "Is there a changing of the guard ceremony? How often? I'd hate to miss that!"

Satisfied, hopefully, he rejoins the others to see if they learned anything.
Diplo: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Diplo: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

Leiko shifts uncomfortably and adjusts her 'disguise'. "Are you sure you know what you are doing?" she queries Onyinyo curiously.

As the party enters seven arches, Leiko sticks close by Onyinyo, listening in on his questions. She adds on some of her own.

"Say, it sure is odd that they claim the curse has lifted, yet they won't let any elves in." She makes no eye contact with anyone in particular as she speaks. "Seems strange to me. What happens to elves who try to come in here?"

Leiko makes sure to keep her distance from any guards as they walk around seven arches looking for more information.

perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Kineticist 1| HP 21/21 | AC 17 | F+9 R+7 W+4 | Percep +4 | Acro +5, Med/Nat +4

Edra follows behind but occasionally falling behind occasionally having his eye caught by certain things in the market. Edra being worried he would give away the little stealth his party has, remains silent, but waiting watchfully incase anything happens. Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

Leiko continues to interact with the townsfolk, while ignoring the guards, attempting to uncover any useful information.

diplo: 1d20 ⇒ 6

She laughs when some of the citizens are trying to tell serious stories, and she stares blindly at their jokes.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Enyo finds a tired barman who polishes a glass while musing about recent events. “Ever since gorgas started hunting closer to the city, there’s been
two Oakstewards posted at the arches, plus an ensorcelled rope. If you even try to go under or over it, it starts screaming like an angry squirrel. Birds and things are always setting it off. It’s a real headache. Never seen them change nor anyone approach them, they don't look the friendly type."

Leiko encounters a grim-faced farmer who narrows her eyes at her. “Now why would you want to be knowin’ a thing like that? I think you better make like a barge and shove off before I call the ’Stewards.”


Male Human Inventor 1 | HP: 15 | AC: 15 | F:+4 R:+5 W:+7 | Perception: +5

Osiris watches the group start off to investigate the town. ”It’d probably be best if I tried to get information on my own…”

”Hey, I’m going to ask those guards about the arches,” He says to Jank before meandering over to the oakstewards.

”Hello- would you be able to tell me more about these arches? Why are only two of you stationed here for such an important monument?”

He furrows his brow and stares at each guard throughout the conversation, showing a quiet respect.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

If they are helpful :
Osiris thanks them furtively and turns back to the town and looks for the group. Once he locates them he shares what he learned.


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

Watching Osiris filter in closer to the arches, Leiko says "Ahh good, he is going to try to get more info from the oakstewards" Leiko nudges Ony so he's paying attention to the interaction. "Also, did that guy say the guards never change nor leave their post? That's very peculiar. "

diplo: 1d20 ⇒ 7

playing out these awesome rolls
Turning her direction to the seemingly angry man in front of her "Is that how you treat all guests in your town? I heard that Seven arches has been going downhill, but now I see why. Psh Psh"

acro: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Leiko waves the man off before trying to slip her way through the crowd and back out of sight.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

One of the Oakstewards moves to address Osiris's questions. "Good day to you. These are the famed aiudara for which this town is named. They were once used to travel to other locations, but now are under the rule of the Oakstewards."

When asked why there are only two, he winks and says "That you can see. Don't worry though, friend. The only trouble we usually get around here is animals trespassing. No one is stupid enough to really ever try anything."


Male Human | Alchemist 1 (Toxicologist) | 17/17 hp | 14 AC |F/R/W:6/5/6 | P: 6 | Crafting +7 | Medicine +7 | Arcana +7

Jank intriguingly lingers behind Osiris, listening to the guards speak stories about the various times animals had broken in. He fiddles around in his bag, as if looking for something. Something that he could not find. He pulls his goggles up from his head, kindly asking one of the guards if he could supply a simple map or layout of the seven arches and surrounding areas, as well as tries to get him to show Jank where a store that would sell vials and such would be. “I feel as though I should better familiarize myself with the surroundings, and maybe learn some history behind the arches while were at it.” he states to osiris quitely, before moving forth to one of the guards that hasn’t spoken as much. Jank tries to lure the guard he spoke to farther away, allowing Osiris to have an easier time speaking too, getting information from, and getting past the remaining guard. ”It would mean the most to me if you could simply point me to nearest vendor that would sell glasswork of the sorts, would you be so kind as to guide me?” While Jank persuades the guard, he also tries to make small talk, asking about the town and such. “How long has this town been under rule of the oakstewards for, it seems quite nice and calm. Do you think you’d be able to give me a map or describe the city? I’ve been looking for a couple shops and haven’t been able to find them!”

diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Onyinyo looks between Leiko and the merchant, aghast. She turns to him as Leiko disappears in the crowd, "What was that all about?" He shakes his head, pointing to one of the farmer's fruit tables, "what's in season right now? I'd love to buy a few pieces." Onyinyo sorts through some coins to pay, "she did raise an interesting question though. Are the guards ever relieved? What do they do when the birds set off the alarms? I'm sure everyone is incredibly frustrated by the time it takes to reset them." Onyinyo takes a bite and nods his thanks before walking toward the guards. He stops a few feet away from the unoccupied man and holds out a honeyed apple, "my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I just purchased this from the farmer over there. Would you like it?" He passes the apple over if the guard expresses any interest, shrugs if none. "Is there anywhere we can learn about the arches? They're quite fascinating!"


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

The merchant talking to Enyo tells him that occasionally animals will set off the alarm. It's annoying because of how loud it is, but they take care of it quickly enough that it's become quite common. It happens at least once a week.

The guard points Jank off to a nearby shop. "Yeah. We've been here for quite some time."

"A map? What do you think I am?" he responds, growing frustrated.

The guards quickly make it apparent that they are not tour guides and they are not here for small talk. The militant aspect of the Oakstewards becomes apparent when they respond with the kind words of "Get lost. Go find what you are looking for in town."

They do not engage in any more conversation with you.


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

This is getting us no where. Time for drastic actions Leiko nudges Ony and whispers "I am going to make a distraction. please make sure its not wasted"

Leiko moves about 100 meters from the arches, but within sight of the oakstewards. She tears off her wig hiding her half elf ears, and begins to shout in the crowd "Do you see what they do to us? Do you see how they treat us!?! The curse was lifted yet we our outcast from our own home!"

She begins running around the crowd of people, continuing to shout.
Elf Lives Matter! Elf Live Matter! Let Us Through! Let Us Through!"

Not sure on roll here?
intimidation: 1d20 ⇒ 2
2? Honestly? lol

If any guards attempt to get near Leiko, she will turn and flee, weaving through crowds of people if necessary
acro: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Leiko's dramatic actions quickly capture the attention of both the crowd and the Oakstewards. As she reveals her half-elf ears and begins her impassioned protest, the two guards react differently, reflecting their individual approaches to the situation.

Oaksteward 1 immediately springs into action. His focus is on Leiko herself, seeing her as the instigator who must be dealt with directly. He starts pushing his way through the crowd, "HALT! CEASE! DESIST! OUT OF MY WAY!" he begins to call out as he gives chase. His voice is stern, and his expression is one of determination. He is clearly intent on apprehending Leiko.

Athletics: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Oaksteward 2 takes a different approach. He recognizes that the situation could escalate rapidly if not handled carefully. Rather than diving into the crowd, he climbs onto a nearby platform and begins addressing the crowd. His tone is more calming, aimed at de-escalating the situation. "Ladies and gentlemen, please remain calm! We understand there are strong emotions at play here, but we must maintain order. This is for everyone's safety. The laws regarding elf entry are in place for reasons that concern the wellbeing of all in Sevenarches. We are here to ensure those laws are respected, but we also hear your concerns. Let's not allow this to escalate into chaos. We urge everyone to disperse peacefully. There is no need for confrontation or unrest. Please, let us handle this situation according to our procedures. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated."


Female Half Elf | Gunslinger 1 (Vanguard) | HP: 18/18 | AC: 18 | F +7; R +8; W +4| Per: 6 | Init: 6 ( +1AC until first turn)

Leiko continues running while trying to rally up the crowd. "Look at the lies they feed! Am I not proof enough that the curse has been lifted. Freedom to all elf kind! What else are they hiding from us??!!"

She pushes her way through the crowd as well, continuing to attempt to keep her distance.

athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Male Gnome Thaumaturge 1 | HP 18/18 | AC 17 | F+7 R+4 W+5 | Percep +5 | Esoteric Lore, Deception, Diplo, Intimidation +6 | Athletics +5 ◈

Onyinyo curses under his breath and moves around the circle until he can't see the guard at the entrance. Once in position, he points his mirror at the inside of an arch and a mirror image of himself appears, holding the recorder. Careful to avoid touching the rope or the trees, he crouches and begins counting.

I believe using the recorder is a passive act so being within the arch should be sufficient. If I need to crouch in the arch (vs having the mirror image do it) that's fine. The rope alarm should be bypassed this way but things are never that easy are they?

Mirror:
You reflect an illusory image of yourself into another unoccupied space within 15 feet that you can see. You are treated as being in both spaces until the start of your next turn. For example, you can attack, Seek, and provide flanking-even with yourself. You occupy both spaces.

Your mirror self mimics your actions exactly, but any effects you generate come from only one of your positions; you decide which each time you act. For example, if you made a melee Strike against a creature within reach of the reflection, you’d mime the actions of the Strike, but only the reflection would actually make the Strike. Anything that targets or would affect your reflection affects you and uses your statistics. Something that would target or affect both of you affects you only once. For example, a fireball that included both of you in its area would require only one save from you and damage you no more than once. When you move, you choose which square to move from, but the mirror effect ends (see below).

Some events force you to determine which image is the real you, and then end the effect and cause your mirror self to disappear; this happens automatically at the start of your next turn. It also happens if you choose to move out of your space. Other benefits of this implement add more events that can end the reflection. The effect also ends when you fall unconscious, at which point you decide which version is truly you.


Kineticist 1| HP 21/21 | AC 17 | F+9 R+7 W+4 | Percep +4 | Acro +5, Med/Nat +4

Edra assess the situation and smiles Leiko you genius!I supposel should go aid him... or wait
should I help Enyo.. s~++ I don't know think Edra THINK
Edra makes a split second decision to
instead channel and control the water in the fountain that the Oaksteward was about pass. Edra slightly flicks his wrist up and then to the right. Suddenly a sphere containing 10 pounds of water rises out of the fountain and collides into the face of the Oaksteward Nows your chance Leiko get out of there while you can.

1 to 50 of 253 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Gatewalkers All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.