GM JaceDK's Mummy's Mask: The Half-Dead City

Game Master Jacob Trier

Campaign overview, key locations and NPCs |Image gallery | Loot Sheet

Player info
Date: Moonday the 28th of Rova, 4714 AR
Time: 14:30 pm
Location: Tomb of Ahkentepi, The Necropolis, Wati,
Current Weather: Clear, 29° C, Mild breeze
Map: Battlemap |
Quests: Explore the Tomb of Ahkentepi

Group rolls:

Perception:

[dice=Indus Perception]1d20+5[/dice]
[dice=Diorio Perception]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Sobekhotep Perception]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Seben-en-Ra Perception]1d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Lueck Perception]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Neith Perception]1d20+9[/dice]
[dice=Sacred Ibis Perception]1d20+5[/dice]

Initiative:

[dice=Indus Initiative]1d20+3[/dice]
[dice=Diorio Initiative]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Sobekhotep Initiative]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Seben-en-Ra Initiative]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Lueck Initiative]1d20+2[/dice]

Stealth:

[dice=Indus Stealth]1d20+7[/dice]
[dice=Diorio Stealth]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Sobekhotep Stealth]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Seben-en-Ra Stealth]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Lueck Stealth]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Neith Stealth]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Sacred Ibis Stealth]1d20+8[/dice]


51 to 100 of 549 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

When the directions are given, Lueck seems confused. "None of that means anything to me. How long to get there?"

Grand Lodge

Male Samsaran Wizard(Spirit Binder / Thassilonian Specialist) 2 (HP 14/14) (AC 10/10/10) (CMD 11) (Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5) (Init +0) (Perception +10)

Sobekhotep listens sympathetically to the farmer's woes.

"It can be a terrible thing indeed when the bedrock of our lives is shaken by uncertainty. I will do my best to restore the equanimity to your existence.

I swear by Ma'at that I will do my best to find the truth of things."

So saying, He holds up one of his many holy symbols, and reverently kisses it.

Of course, if it *is* pugwampis, our only choice will be to cleanse the area with fire, and salt the earth...

He then turns to Rashid, and gently pats him upon the shoulder.

"You look tired, friend. Why not rest here for a bit? The sun is high in the sky, and Horus should be able to protect your dreams at this time of day."

Sobkehotep then prays for the Distant Falcon to bless and watch over Rashid.

Mechanically, just casting Guidance on the poor man, but every little bit helps!


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire
Sobekhotep of Tephu wrote:

Of course, if it *is* pugwampis, our only choice will be to cleanse the area with fire, and salt the earth...

Speaking of which...

Knowledge (Nature) DC 15:

Rashid's description sounds suspiciously like a pugwampi infestation. These gremlins, a mischevious type of fey that radiate an aura of misfortune, are notorious for causing trouble and calamity. Like most fey, they are resistant to damage not caused by cold iron and have several spelllike abilities.

Grand Lodge

Male Samsaran Wizard(Spirit Binder / Thassilonian Specialist) 2 (HP 14/14) (AC 10/10/10) (CMD 11) (Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5) (Init +0) (Perception +10)

Yeah... I wasn't kidding. I learned to hate Pugwampis in Legacy of Fire.

Time to channel Set, and go Flames of Megiddo on the place!


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

I’m guessing neither Rashid or Farhaan will find it particluarly helpful if you torch the farm. Just sayin’


Female Human Hunter 2

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Spoiler:
I'm afraid Seben neglected to refrigerate her iron. It is luke-warm at best.

If circumstances permit, Seben will share whatever she knows with the other party members on the hike to the farm.


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

Seben:
Tough break on the lack of iron with the proper temperature. If only there was some way to mitigate that. Oh well, it’s not like you’re passing by a market on your way to the farm or anything…


Male Varisian Human Swashbuckler 2 (HP 19/20) (AC 18, 15, 13) (CMD 16) (Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +0) (Init +4) (Percep +4) Swashbuckler 2

Knowing he needs to earn coin, knowledge, and respect if he is ever to find justice, Diorio nonchalantly fingers his swept-hilt rapier and calls out, "Cursed farm just won't do. I like the food here and our host needs your continued supply. Curses be damned, count on my steel if what ails your farm can be stabbed.

Inwardly, he wonders "Last thing I need is more curses".


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

The Road to Perdition

When there are no further questions for Rashid, Farhaan helps him to his feet and guides him upstairs.

Gathering your gear, you head out into the bright morning light. The sun is steadily climbing in a clear azure sky and has already chased away the worst chills from the air.

Survival DC 10:
The temperature is likely to keep climbing throughout the day. You should be prepared to handle high temperatures on your trip back from the farm. (That’s assuming you live that long, of course.)

From the Tooth and Hookah, you head south through the Midwife district, taking the road that leads right past the Grand Mausoleum and the Sunburst Market. Even from a few blocks away, you can clearly see the upper portion of the Grand Mausoleum dominate the cityscape.

Rivaled in size and importance only by the High Temple of Pharasma in Sothis, Wati’s temple of Pharasma handles the business of the city’s births and deaths, as well as the details that occur in between. Since the Lady of Graves eclipsed Nethys and Abadar as Wati’s patron deity, her followers have assumed control over much of the city’s infrastructure and have combined the Grand Mausoleum into a cross between a house of worship and city hall.

A few minutes later, you come into view of the Sunburst Market, the enormous open-air market that forms the bustling heart of Wati. Decorated pillars mark out a regular grid, and various merchants hang attention-grabbing banners and samples of their wares from the painted sandstone columns. Since today is a market day, the open plaza is already busy transforming into a maze of tents and tables that display goods ranging from artwork, cosmetics, and food to weapons, poisons, and magical tomes.

Anyone want to make a last-minute purchase?

Separating the Grand Mausoleum from the Sunburst Market is the Golden lake, the artificial pool that takes its name from the coating of gold dust cast over its surface each year on the Day of Bones. The lake also houses a rare breed of white crocodiles that are sacred to Wati’s Pharasmin church.

Leaving the Midwife district, you head south along one of the main streets. To your right, flanking the river, is Morning Sun; the district where the majority of Wati’s noble estates sit on a small rise. Morning Sun, named because the district enjoys the first touch of the sun’s rays at dawn, is Wati’s least populous district. It contains a mere two dozen wealthy estates that consist of palatial homes, storage buildings, servants’ quarters, orchards, vineyards, and a handful of lavish apartments—all of which are colorful, well maintained, and surrounded with lush gardens and statuary.

On your left, you find Asp; This long, winding district of low buildings and twisting alleyways runs along Wati’s southern edge. Asp was built without the planning or engineering insight of Wati’s core, making navigation difficult for newcomers.

After about half an hour, you reach the outskirts of town and move south-west towards the Outer Farms.

Beyond the stable sandstone shelf on which the city rests, miles of silty, verdant farmland stretch along the banks of the Crook River. Barley, beans, cabbage, cucumbers, flax, garlic, melons, and millet fill Wati’s fields, but onions reign supreme on nearly every farm.

Little over an hour later, you spot the landmarks Rashid described to you and turn off the main road towards his farmhouse. You can already feel the heat of the sun beginning to burn relentlessly and you are covered in sweat and grime from the walk. It is not long before you spot the homestead in the distance. From where you are standing, you can’t see any kind of movement.

It is currently late morning and the sun is shining brightly. You are about 500 meters from the farmhouse. How do you proceed?

Grand Lodge

Male Samsaran Wizard(Spirit Binder / Thassilonian Specialist) 2 (HP 14/14) (AC 10/10/10) (CMD 11) (Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5) (Init +0) (Perception +10)

Once Seben shares that it might be pugwampis, Sobekhotep visibly shudders.

"If it is indeed those little gremlins, that is incredibly troubling... Surely Lord Bes would not abandon us like that... Still, sometimes the Gods send us trials..."

On the way through the market, Sobekhotep looks for a Wizard to copy Crafter's Fortune from (15gp), just in case. If there isn't one, I will buy a scroll, and achieve the same result.

If it turns out to be Pugwampis, it will be extremely useful. If it isn't... then I will just have ended up adding a utility spell to my spellbook.

EDIT: You know what, peace of mind is priceless, and pugwampis are just *that* traumatising. I will prepare Crafter's Fortune in all of my spell slots, and cast it on the rest of my party members, as well as Neith (mechanically, it would make more sense to cast it on Sobekhotep, but there is no way he would want her to suffer, so...). That just leaves Sobekhotep himself and the Sacred Ibis unprotected.

Calling upon Lords Ptah and Bes, Sobekhotep does his best to ward the party against the Fey of Misfortune.

I just hope that is enough...


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

Sobekhotep:
Hate to burst your bubble of Hope here, Luke, but if Sobekhotep wants a copy of Crafter's Fortune in his spellbook, he's going to have to pony up a bit more than 15 gp.

Adding a 1st level spell into a spellbook in Pathfinder involves two main costs: the cost to copy the spell, and possibly a fee charged by the wizard for access to the spell.

Copying a spell into a spellbook requires an amount of special ink. For a 1st-level spell like Crafter's Fortune, this cost is typically 10 gp. But you also needs access to the spell itself

But you also need finds a wizard who agrees to let you copy the spell out of their spellbook. And unless you know a friendly spellcaster (helpful, in Diplomacy skill terms), the wizard is likely charge a fee. Especially a wizard you might find selling spells in a crowded marketplace. For practical purposes, the easiest way to acquire new spells is to buy a scroll, which in this case is an additional 25 gp.

So, the total cost of doing what you outlined is going to be 35 gp - not to mention a fair bit of undisturbed time to scribe the spell into the spellbook and then prepare multiple copies.

However, if you were to discuss you reasons for wanting that particular spell with the rest of the group in character, you might find that there are more ways to skin a cat...say, for instance, if a fellow party member might have a class feature that revolves around being lucky :-)

Also...Sobekhotep has not made a Knowledge (nature) check himself, so his only knowledge of Pugwampi and their ability is what Seben has shared, which contains no mention of ways to counter their unlucky aura. So, you're treading awfully close to the Dreaded Minefield of Metagaming...consider this your free pass.


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

"I can be ready in a few minutes. I just need to get my gear and make sure I've got water enough with me and such."

With that Indus retreats upstairs only to return down a few minutes later, backpack in hand, sword and whip at his side and the hat firmly in place to shield him from the hot sun outside. He goes to the bar and asks for a ice cold refill of water for his two waterskins, placing a silver coin on the counter.


Female Human Hunter 2

Smoking Skull:
GM JaceDK wrote:
Tough break on the lack of iron with the proper temperature. If only there was some way to mitigate that. Oh well, it’s not like you’re passing by a market on your way to the farm or anything…

That is a cool and handy item. Either I never knew about that or I long forgot it, either way, very cool.

Unfortunately, I lacked the wisdom to save any cash for flexibility and spent it all during character creation. Seben is too broke to pursue it.

She'll just have to go old school. In my day we just hit things with DR harder and more often until they finally died. Kids today and their fancy items...


Male Blackwisp Egret 3 HD

When the party reaches the Sunburst market, the Sacred Ibis stretches its wings and circles over the banks of the tranquil Golden Lake.

Seeing the albino crocodiles in the water, the bird spirals downward ever closer, its wings flapping slower and more slightly until its wings become almost still.

Finally, when one of the largest of crocs opens its mouth in what looks like an elongated yawn, the bird skids to a halt in the water landing right next to its jaw. Then, like a simple Osirian plover bird, it uses its long, curved beak to pluck a few pieces of meat stuck in the serrated jaw of the beast, giving its sacred brethren a much-needed floss.

A moment later it takes flight, stretching its wings as it climbs back towards the blinding sun.

Just dropping flavor text for a National Geographic moment, if this is too much or realistically requires some sort of die roll, just let me know and I’m happy to ret con that.


Female Human Hunter 2

On the way to the farm:

"Oh, I brought a ton of extra water, probably more than I should carry really, so if anyone needs any extra, just let me know. I'd be relieved to share."

Bluff: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

For those who ain't buying it, or who use Spellcraft on the regular:

Seben's canteen is mostly empty. She has a create water cantrip. Feel free to help her abuse it.


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)
The Sacred Ibis wrote:

Just dropping flavor text for a National Geographic moment, if this is too much or realistically requires some sort of die roll, just let me know and I’m happy to ret con that.

I can just hear David Attenborough's voice over :)

On the way through the bustling market, Indus buys a bunch of big, juicy dates which he eats and offers to the rest of the party on the way to the farm.

"What are these pugwampi's you speak off? Evil spirits?

Knowledge (Nature - can use untrained): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8


This would be the first time the others have seen him geared up, I believe.

When Lueck comes from his room, his pack is bigger than he is. The backpack itself is large, but an empty regular-sized bucket is strapped to it. The chain shirt that he is never without is now covered in light desert garb. His head is completely obscured: his head is covered with a head scarf; his face and neck are covered by a scarf heavy enough to filter blowing sand and his bulbous red eyes are covered by a curved strip of wood with thin horizontal slits cut for him to see through. He bristles with tiny weapons, the most prominent of which is a bronze battleaxe etched in the old language of the region. Despite his array of equipment, he walks as though he is not burdened.

"When Sekhmet took me into her fold, she granted me power to supply my own water when away from The Crook. I will gladly share that bounty with all of you." Also has the create water orison.


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire
Indus Ionaeus wrote:
The Sacred Ibis wrote:

Just dropping flavor text for a National Geographic moment, if this is too much or realistically requires some sort of die roll, just let me know and I’m happy to ret con that.

I can just hear David Attenborough's voice over :)

On the way through the bustling market, Indus buys a bunch of big, juicy dates which he eats and offers to the rest of the party on the way to the farm.

"What are these pugwampi's you speak off? Evil spirits?

[dice=Knowledge (Nature - can use untrained)]1d20+3

[dice=Survival]1d20+0

My thought exactly about the David Attenborough's voice over. Lovely little cutscene, don't mind at all.

You don't have to pay to fill your waterskins at the Tooth and Hookah, but Indus' silver coin covers the price of the dates.

I'm going to let everyone finalize purchases and spell/gear prep before we move on. You might also want to have some kind of in-character discussion about what to do once you reach the farm. The surrounding fields and low stone fences can provide suitable cover if you want to attempt a stealth approach.


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

"So, how should we approach this?" says Indus on the way to the farm. "A direct assault on the castle, or should we do a bit of scouting and maybe try to not be detected? I can move fairly quietly myself, especially if you don't mind looking after my backpack while I'm gone. With that on my back they'll see a strange-looking turtle approaching from a mile away."


Male Varisian Human Swashbuckler 2 (HP 19/20) (AC 18, 15, 13) (CMD 16) (Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +0) (Init +4) (Percep +4) Swashbuckler 2

Diorio readies his crossbow as we approach the farm. "We should probably get behind one of those fences and figure out how best to scout this situation."


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

Indus also loads his crossbow and duck behind the nearest fence or other cover.


Female Human Hunter 2
Indus Ionaeus wrote:
I can just hear David Attenborough's voice over :)

LOL!

Indus Ionaeus wrote:
On the way through the bustling market, Indus buys a bunch of big, juicy dates which he eats and offers to the rest of the party on the way to the farm.

Terribly sorry, but Seben has a strict policy against dates with other party members. It's all business. :)

I missed the survival check for heat advice:

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Way to use up a 19 right before an encounter!

She will share her unsolicited thoughts on heat stroke prevention with the other party members on the way back from the farm, should we later survive to do so.


Female Human Hunter 2
Indus Ionaeus wrote:
"So, how should we approach this?" says Indus on the way to the farm. "A direct assault on the castle, or should we do a bit of scouting and maybe try to not be detected? I can move fairly quietly myself, especially if you don't mind looking after my backpack while I'm gone. With that on my back they'll see a strange-looking turtle approaching from a mile away."

"I'd be happy to stay back and watch your pack. If you give me a signal, I'll come running to help."

"I sometimes have the Ibis fly over and scout old runes for me to make sure things are safe. But he's not too great at telling me what he sees. This sounds even better."

Then Indus and Diorio pull out a pair of strange mechanical weapons like it's no big deal. Seben's eyes widen.

"Er, how come you're both holding your bows sideways? Can they shoot like that?"


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

"Are you telling me, you've never seen a crossbow before?!" Indus exclaims with wide eyes. "It basically works like a normal bow, but this stock and crank basically pulls the string for you and make it easier to aim and fire."


Female Human Hunter 2

…Easier to aim and fire!? What am I doing with a bow? I must look like a primitive.

“Oh, right, yeah… a crossbow. I’ve heard of those. We don’t really have a lot of those on the island I come from.”

Or millennium.

Then recovering, “Pass me that pack there, Turtle.”

OOC: How many different buildings are there?

OOC: I am belatedly realizing we missed the chance to ask Rashid who else is on the farm. Are there farm hands or family members in need of rescue? Is it sufficiently small that he works alone?


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

Indus passes the backpack to Seben-en-Ra and then looks for the best way to get closer to the farm unseen.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Female Human Hunter 2

While she's keeping back and babysitting that backpack, Seben studies the ground to see if the tracks in the dirt suggest anything unusual.

Certainly there might be tracks of Rashid and his cart, or the usual farm animals. But might there be an indication of the little cursed gremlins Sobekhotep had mentioned?

Survival for Tracking Attempt: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

OOC: Ugh. Nevermind. Um, this late in the day I suppose the dirt is too parched to yield any useful info.


When the others duck behind the fence, Lueck just walks behind it. When Indus volunteers to scout, Lueck lays a hand on the back of his knee. "Sekhmet's blessings upon you. If you should fall, know that we will avenge you." Casting guidance on Indus.


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

"It must be a language-barrier thing, because you seem to have mispronounced 'come to your rescue', Lueck," Indus says with a smile, before heading off towards the farm.


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

While the rest of the still-nameless group duck behind the stone fence, Indus creeps closer, moving as silently as a prowling panther.

I'll wait for a final confirmation on spell purchase, prepearation and casting from Sobekhotep before I reveal what Indus can see from his advance position. Rashid did not mention any other residents or helpers.

Seben-en-Ra:
You are almost...but not quite...certain that it's dirt you are looking at. It may also be animal dung. How's the whole I'm-a-ranger-and-animal-friend thing going, eh' Princess?


Female Human Hunter 2

Smoking Skull:

GM JaceDK wrote:
You are almost...but not quite...certain that it's dirt you are looking at. It may also be animal dung. How's the whole I'm-a-ranger-and-animal-friend thing going, eh' Princess?

I know, right! It's almost as though.. she's not an outdoorsman at all! But before we conclude I'm pulling off the old phony class routine (again), let me point out that Seben *did* successfully identify that it gets hot in the desert with a Survival check earlier. You don't get that kind of valuable insight just anywhere.

P.S. As further proof of her trustworthiness, Seben resists the urge to loot Indus's backpack.

Grand Lodge

Male Samsaran Wizard(Spirit Binder / Thassilonian Specialist) 2 (HP 14/14) (AC 10/10/10) (CMD 11) (Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +5) (Init +0) (Perception +10)

GM:
Fair enough. Typically, the cost of paying a wizard to copy something is half the scribing cost, so 15gp (all-in) for a 1st level spell (which is what I originally intended). However, I acknowledge that I did not factor in finding a caster, and a Diplomacy check is very reasonable.

I also acknowledge that I was very clearly meta-gaming by even suggesting that it was an option, in order to work-around the main shtick of pugwampis.

That said...

(Please note that I slept on it before penning this section, so it is *not* a knee-jerk response.)

I will admit to a fondness for Egyptology (Archaeology was one of my undergraduate majors), and I always regretted not being able to play Mummy's Mask when it was first released.

The line-up of players, and the sheer enthusiasm you have brought to it, suggest that this will be a truly amazing campaign.

However, I *loathe* pugwampis at an absolutely visceral level.

When I said my initial reaction was to salt and burn, I was not exaggerating - I actually worked out how much oil I could buy with the cash I had on hand, for the sole purpose of turning the farm to ash.

When I calmed down a little, the Scrolls of Crafter's Fortune were my secondary response.

When that was quite reasonably shot down... I needed to sleep on it.

After doing so... I still hate pugwampis. However, I will not hold up the game any further, and will not make any purchases at the market.

Intellectually, I am aware that this is a disproportionate response towards a monster with a CR of less than 1, but that doesn't affect my emotional response to them.

A rather subdued Sobekhotep follows the others to the farm, his eyes clouded with worry.

I hope Lord Bes has not abandoned this place...


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

Thank you for voicing your thoughts, Luke. See the ooc for a detailed response.


Female Human Hunter 2

OOC: Hey for what it's worth I think it's cool to have hatred of puggies! Both IC and OOC!

Indus practically melts into the brush of the farm.

Woah! That that turtle is a chameleon!

Then looking over at the little armored frog-warrior who has joined her, she catches herself before she speaks aloud. Maybe she should take it easy on the reptile references...

(Though I suppose Luek's more of an amphibian.)


Male Blackwisp Egret 3 HD

The Sacred Ibis lands silently behind Seben and quietly marches up to her behind the fence-line.

It shoots her a look, annoyed that she has elected to replace his scouting perfection with a hairless monkey in a hat.


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

Indus:
Using the low fence for cover, you move steadily closer to the farm, confident that your apporach is covert despite the broad daylight.

You pass an small fenced enclosure where a herd of about a dozen goats huddle togehter, seemingly agitated.

Past the goat pen, you come to the farm itself. From your postion just west of the main property, you spot the farmhouse, a single-story sandstone building with a flat roof. Barrels, baskets and tools lie scattered along the side of the building.

The yard is planted with long rows of green plants, mostly tomatos, cucumber and peppers, but also a few date palms. A simple system of irrigation pipes lead from the rows to a pair of water tanks in the north-west corner of the property.

Just south of the water tanks, you spot the cart Rashid mentioned, still laden with produce, although some of the crops now lie strewn on the ground.

In different places around the yard, large nets hang from wooden scaffolds. You guess that these are used to cover the plants to protect them from birds and other pests.

Speaking of pests, you can clearly hear a loud racket as you approach. Shrill dog-like yips and barks combined with hysterical laughter and the occasional sound of objects breaking.

Moving closer, you soon spot the cause of the disturbance. It's hard to see at first, but after a few moments of observation, you spot first one, then a couple more of the dog-faced tiny creatures that match the discription given by Seben-en-Ra. It would seem that this is indeed a pugwampi infestation.

The malicious gremlins seem to be overjoyed in having successfully driven off the poor farmer, and seem to busy transforming the homestead into their own private dwelling - a process that appearntly involves a great deal of wanton destruction.

You spot at least four individual pugwampi running around the yard and in and out of the farmhouse, but there may be more. They are armed with crude knives and bows.


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

How far am I from the farm/pugwampi and the rest of the party, respectively?

Also, is there some rope lying around near one or more of the pugs?


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

Indus:
You are about 30 m/100 ft from the edge of the yard and 180m/ 600ft from the rest of the group. If you keep low, you believe the entire group can make it all the way to the water tanks undetected. The pugwampi are distracted and make a lot of noise, so you just have to keep out of sight.

There are a few coils of rope in the pile of scattered things near the builing, but none of the pugwampi are near it right now. One is on the roof, 10-15 ft from the rope pile.


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

Indus carefully makes his way back to the others, keeping his eyes and ears open for anything he might have missed the first time and relays what he's seen.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Or at least tries to...


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

GM rolls:

Pugwampi Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 5 - 10 ⇒ (4) + 6 - 5 - 10 = -5
Pugwampi Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 5 - 10 ⇒ (7) + 6 - 5 - 10 = -2
Pugwampi Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 5 - 10 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 5 - 10 = -8
Pugwampi Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 5 - 10 ⇒ (18) + 6 - 5 - 10 = 9

Indus creeps back along the stone fence, somewhat less stealthy than on his approach. At one point, a particularly alert pugwampi looks in his direction from atop the house roof, but fortunately the distance and distraction is enough to keep the archeologist from attracting notice.

Lucky...


Male Human, Taldane Bard (Archaeologist) 2 (HP 3/14) (AC 16 (17)/13 (14)*/13) (CMD 16) (Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3) (Init +3) (Perception +5)

When he gets back, he recounts what he's seen. "I saw four creatures that match the *pugmagpies* you described, Seben. They don't seem to be keeping a close watch, and I think we can get pretty close without being detected. There might be others hiding inside the building."


Female Human Hunter 2

"Nice work, Turtle! I don't know how you did that, but you were practically invisible!" She hands Indus back his backpack and helps him get it back on.

Seben then joins the scrum while the party quietly assembles a plan--one that apparently involves some daring by Diorio.

Seben's not one of the PCs actually executing this so maybe I should butt out, but if it facilitates at all, looking at the map, I think what is intended is that Diorio would retreat north from the water tanks and circle east until he is at the 2:00 or even 3:00 position -- but further east of the actual map so he's not too easy a target.

In theory, his presence will draw the puggies east or northeast such that they leave the plant rows and pass by or under the nets on the east side of the map.

The rest of us would be on delay until Indus does his thing, whereupon we would try for a surprise round, or roll initiative?

When Diorio leaves to make his move, Seben will wish him luck and take a page from Luek's playbook and cast guidance on him... unless Luek beats her to it.


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

Looks like we have a fairly detailed outline of a plan. Any further input? If not, then sound off when you are ready to execute and let me know if you cast any other buff spells beforehand.


I'll just add that Lueck will ready his personal net. Maybe if he sees a pug evade the net trap, he can use it to get one. Can a person be the subject of two guidance spells at once? I know they can't use them to affect the same roll, but could they have two on them and use them for two different rolls?


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

Only one guidance per person. The bonus does not stack.


Female Human Hunter 2

Pre-buffing with spells? Cool! Well, it seems I’m a fool who is only expecting one combat today so, why not?

Cast strong jaw on the Sacred Ibis – 2 minute duration

Activate 'Spirits Gift' (earth) (also on the Sacred Ibis) – 2 minute duration

Ideally, Seben wants to do this shortly before the action breaks out, not necessarily right when Diorio sets out because we don’t know how long it will take him to get in position or to attract the attention we need.


Male Varisian Human Swashbuckler 2 (HP 19/20) (AC 18, 15, 13) (CMD 16) (Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +0) (Init +4) (Percep +4) Swashbuckler 2

When all is ready Diorio will spring into action, firing his crossbow at the most promising target and then drawing his rapier. He will then move to engage, making as big a show as possible to draw their attention and attacks to him, acrobatting and manuevering them towards the trap area.

Crossbow: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 1 = 15 Crossbow damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

"Hah hah! You filthy wumps! I've seen potatoes that look prettier and do a better job of trashing a farm. Come end your misery on the tip of my blade."


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

How close do you move before firing, Diorio? A light crossbow has 80 ft range increments.


Male Varisian Human Swashbuckler 2 (HP 19/20) (AC 18, 15, 13) (CMD 16) (Fort +1, Ref +7, Will +0) (Init +4) (Percep +4) Swashbuckler 2
GM JaceDK wrote:
How close do you move before firing, Diorio? A light crossbow has 80 ft range increments.

If I can get a surprise shot off within the short range increment that would be ideal. Otherwise I can attempt to sneak closer to within short range and then fire, or fire as soon as I am noticed. Point is to get a shot off before taunting and drawing their attention if possible. If not, the shot is not the important part, but rather getting their attention. If that makes sense


Mummy's Mask Campaign slides | Storyteller extraordinaire

A Pugwampi Woopin'

GM Rolls:

Indus Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Dorio Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Sobekhotep Stealth: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8
Seben-en-Ra Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Lueck Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Neith Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Sacred Ibis Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Pugwampi (red) Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 10 ⇒ (17) + 6 - 10 = 13
Pugwampi (blue) Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 10 ⇒ (15) + 6 - 10 = 11
Pugwampi (green) Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 10 ⇒ (16) + 6 - 10 = 12
Pugwampi (yellow) Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 10 ⇒ (6) + 6 - 10 = 2

Pugwampi (red) Stealth: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (15) + 17 = 32
Pugwampi (green) Stealth: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (7) + 17 = 24

Initiative:
Hero Group Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Pugwampi Group initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Pugwampi (yellow) shortbow attack vs Diorio: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 - 2 = 6
Damage: 1d3 - 4 ⇒ (3) - 4 = -1

--Round 1--

After careful deliberation, the still-unnamed team springs into action. Assuming all pre-buffs cast at this point.

While Diorio circles north to create his diversion, the main group creeps closer, using the water tanks as cover.

Most of the team are every bit as stealthy as Indus was during his inital approach, but unfortunately Sobekhotep and Lueck are spotted by a pair of particularly alert gremlins. No surprise round

The pugwampi immediately issue high-pitched squeals and dive for cover into the rows of plants. DC 32 and 24 perception to spot them again - don't forget range penalties.

At that moment, Diorio fires his crossbow at the pugwampi on the roof. The bolt flies true and strikes the ugly creature on the upper arm, but bounces harmlessly off. DR negates damage

The pugwampi chitters angrily and draws a crude shortbow, snapping off a tiny arrow in Diorio's direction. It lands far to his right. Miss

Another one of the pugwampies scurries forward, also drawing a shortbow. It stands between the house and the hanging nets, hollering disgusting threats at Diorio.

Rest of the group is up. For this combat (and most other combats involving groups of similar enemies) we'll use group initiative to simplify actions.

Initiative
Pugwampis: 12 Acted
Heroes: 7 Everyone but Diorio are up

Combat map updated - please move your own token when taking your action.

51 to 100 of 549 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM JaceDK's Mummy's Mask: The Half-Dead City All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.