GM ShadowLord's Quest for the Frozen Flame

Game Master The Rising Phoenix

Battle Map


451 to 500 of 729 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 3 | HP 50/50 | AC 20 | Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus: 2/2 | Hero Point: 2/3

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Valda is terribly burned by the fireball! Fortunately, the woman surrenders. The exemplar lays hands on herself, soothing some of her burns, before glowering down at the kneeling woman.


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

Reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Hakata avoids most of the fire, but the woman's magic has taken its toll on him.

When the woman throws down her arms, he quickly gathers up her weapons and checks her for any hidden blades.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Kneeling with her hands held high, she pleads "Yes, yes. Help yourselves to whatever you like. I only ask you leave me with enough health to return home to my children. They need their mother, after all." She continues to ramble on about various reasons why her life is critically important.

She has a rapier, a heavy crossbow, another scroll of fireball, two scrolls of magic missiles and her spellbook.

Descending into the camp proper, it consists of two canvas tents, wooden crates, several collapsible cages, and a large cart. An exceptionally realistic statue of a large, cringing wolf stands near a stone foundation for a small structure.

Ardissa’s tent is in good condition and contains her cot and blankets, a folding desk and chair, and her journal.

Nature DC20:
The wolf statue is a female dire wolf petrified by a cockatrice. This dire wolf’s petrification is only temporary and seems to be recent.

Adrissa's Journal:

Ardissa’s journal is written in Taldane. The first half presents helpful exercises and reminders of her training as a big game hunter: plans for blinds, basic guides for tracks, and the best places to strike many kinds of animals to get a clean kill and leave the body intact.

These notes provide the characters access to the game hunter archetype.

The second half of the journal details Ardissa’s current expedition into the Realm of the Mammoth Lords. It describes the terrain of this hex and all those within 2 hexes of it, along with notes regarding tracks of the megafauna she has seen. Red Cat Cave is clearly marked; Ardissa describes finding a cave resembling the mouth of a cat, but her porters were too unnerved by strange sounds coming from deep within it to stay there long. She confesses in her journal that the sounds unnerved her as well, though she would never openly admit it.

After leaving Red Cat Cave, Ardissa discovered this ledge and the strange stone embedded in it. She studied the stone but learned little—only that it focuses ley line power and dramatically extends the range of evocation spells. She set her camp here and made plans to return to hunt from this spot in the future.

The tools in this camp aren’t much use to the Broken Tusks, though they’re worth 10 gp if traded to the right buyer. There are also several crates of preserved food which, while unsavory to the Broken Tusk palate, are worth more than their weight in gold to a following on the run.


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

Ignoring Adrissa, Hakata speaks to his fellow scouts, "We should give her a few days rations and see her on her way. If she is such a mighty hunter, the Realms will provide for her."

Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

Will (expert), +1 vs. fear: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Nature (trained): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Kadosh looks around, unsure what they should do with this woman now. She's awful, but he's not a cold-blooded killer. At the same time, he doesn't just want to let her go.

"So," he growls, "do you still think so little of us? It seems we're clearly far better suited to this land than you! If we let you go, will you leave our land before you face a more dire threat?"


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Ardissa, still kneeling and bleeding, responds to Kadosh with a tone that betrays her belief in her own superiority and her assumption that money and status can resolve any situation. She speaks with a mixture of arrogance and a feigned humility that doesn't quite mask her underlying contempt.

"Ah, you speak of threats as if I am unfamiliar with them," she starts, her voice steady despite her injuries. "I have faced far greater dangers in my time, and I assure you, I am more than capable of handling myself."

She glances at her belongings, then continues, "But I see your point. This land, your land, it's... harsher than I expected. I underestimated it, and you. However, let us not be hasty in our decisions. I am a woman of means, a Lady of Taldor. Surely we can come to an understanding that benefits us all."

Shifting her gaze to meet Kadosh's eyes directly, she adds, "Consider this a learning experience for me. Let me go, and I will ensure you are handsomely rewarded. I have connections, resources that could be of use to you. You need only name your price, and it shall be yours."

Her voice takes on a more persuasive tone, "Think of the opportunities this could open for your following. Resources, information, maybe even alliances. You stand to gain much more by letting me return home than by leaving me here."


Female Demontouched Female Kellid God-Caller 3 - HP 44/44| AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +9 | Perception +9 | Focus 2/2 |Hero Points 3 |

"Make sure to take her spell pouch too. Make her work for it a bit," Veshka adds in an aside to her companions

Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Veshka scowls at the 'realistic wolf statue' and rounds on the trespasser. "Where's the cockatrice? I assume it's yours and not the wolf?"


Male Goblin ◆◇↺ Witch [Beastmaster] 3 Hp 26/27 AC (T) 17 Fort(T) +6, Ref(E) +9, Will(E) +6 Perception(T) +4

Reflex DC20: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Strongjaw, the White Rabbit and Tanngrisnir scream like little Goblin, bunny's, and kids!

All three continuously stare icicles at Ardissa for-ever!


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Ardissa, already cornered and desperate, looks perplexed for a moment, her eyes darting between her captors and the statue. Before she can formulate a response, the situation takes a surprising turn.

Suddenly, as if summoned by Veshka's words, the cockatrice appears on the scene, coming in from behind a tent. It struts into view, its odd, bird-like form commanding attention. The creature, with its reptilian and avian features, exudes a peculiar aura that doesn't quite fit the natural order.

The cockatrice surveys the group with regal curiosity, its head tilting this way. Its gaze lingers on the scouts, seemingly assessing each member with a keen intelligence that belies its animalistic appearance. There's something about its demeanor, an unspoken challenge in how it holds itself.

It rapidly opens and snaps shut its beak a few times as it tries to figure out what will happen next.

Ardissa licks her lips, the wheels in her brain turning rapidly, trying to determine if this could play out in her favor. "Oh. There he is." she says with a smile.


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

"Down." Hakata points an authoritative finger at the fowl creature, attempting to exert his dominance.

Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Goblin ◆◇↺ Witch [Beastmaster] 3 Hp 26/27 AC (T) 17 Fort(T) +6, Ref(E) +9, Will(E) +6 Perception(T) +4

Strongjaw looks at the sudden appearance of a cockatrice with absolute pure disbelief.
What the smurf is happening right now!

The White Rabbit seems stunned silent.

Tanngrisnir is seen paused in any previously enjoyed chewing on tasty foliage.....


Female Demontouched Female Kellid God-Caller 3 - HP 44/44| AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +9 | Perception +9 | Focus 2/2 |Hero Points 3 |

The implied HHHeal to get folk up

Healing: 1d8 ⇒ 2 Welp. There was an attempt. Honestly after consciousness we were probably gonna take 10 minutes on things though


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 3 | HP 50/50 | AC 20 | Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus: 2/2 | Hero Point: 2/3

Never one to shy away from a clear challenge, Valda steps forward towards the cockatrice. "Fell fowl! Look upon me and see your better! You will menace the beasts of our land no more!"

If I can before combat starts, will use Captivating Charm.

Captivating Charm [two-actions:
(emotion, mental, visual)]

You focus your attention on a creature within 30 feet, overwhelming their senses. They must succeed at a Will save against your class DC 18 or be fascinated by you until the start of your next turn. The condition ends if you use a hostile action against the target, but not if you use a hostile action against their allies.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

As Valda boldly steps forward to confront the cockatrice, her presence is commanding, exuding a mix of confidence and challenge. Her words, though addressed to a creature that understands no language, carry an energy that seems to transcend the communication barrier.

Valda becomes the sole focus of the cockatrice's attention. The creature, known for its unpredictable and often troublesome behavior, now focuses solely on her. A curious intrigue momentarily replaces its usual impudence as it examines this new figure who dares to challenge it so openly.

The cockatrice approaches Valda cautiously yet with a certain assertiveness. It pecks at her, a gesture that could be interpreted as testing or probing rather than an attack. This behavior is unusual for a creature known for its more hazardous interactions. The pecking, while sharp, is controlled, lacking any real intent to harm. Instead, it seems the cockatrice is assessing Valda, perhaps recognizing the strength and resolve in her stance and demeanor.


Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

"Great spirits!" Kadosh breathes, not wanting to attract the creature's attention but almost certain Vashta is going to turn to stone at any moment.

He turns back to Ardissa. "We don't need your money!" he declares, though there's just a hint of uncertainty in his voice. He certainly doesn't trust her, but if the following could get more resources, that could help. Not that it can't survive on its own or do without, but they are at war, and you don't turn down a valuable resource at war.

Will Exploit Vulnerability, just so I have it ready if needed. Also functions as Recall Knowledge
Lore (esoteric) (trained) to Exploit Vulnerability vs. standard DC of creature's level: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 3 | HP 50/50 | AC 20 | Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus: 2/2 | Hero Point: 2/3

Valda grins, shifts her immanence to her blade, and prepares to attack!

Ready to initiate combat.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

With the creature fascinated with Valda, it's not expecting violence from anyone. The party can go first and launch an assault if they wish!


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 3 | HP 50/50 | AC 20 | Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus: 2/2 | Hero Point: 2/3

Valda looks to her companions and gestures for one of them to get into a flanking position. Once they comply, the exemplar shouts a battle cry and attacks!

Mirror Strike, Strike, Flanking: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 211d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 181d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4
Damage: 1d12 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 161d12 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Female Demontouched Female Kellid God-Caller 3 - HP 44/44| AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +9 | Perception +9 | Focus 2/2 |Hero Points 3 |

Veshka backs off to a safer distance, keeping an eye on the hunter while Catamoch happily grunts his way over to help Valda spill blood.

As Valda hefts her sword, Veshka drops her fist, unleashing the rage within her to spur Catamoch on to new heights!

Extend Boost?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 Lol I have yet to succeed at that roll. Luckily I only lose focus when I succeed or crit fail...


Male Demonic Sarkorin Boar God 3 - HP 44/44| AC 19 | F +10 R +7 W +6 | Perception +6

Catamoch is confused by Veshka's uneven control of the bond, and his unleashed wrath is somewhat... diffuse.

Flanking with Valda
Tusks: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Slashing: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11
Hoof: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
Bludgeoning: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9
Hoof: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7
Bludgeoning: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12


Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

Kadosh keeps his eye -- and ax -- on Ardissa, making sure she doesn't take advantage of this sudden, second fight. Still, he's not completely ignoring what's happening to his side, bell ready to call the spirits to help his friends. He also pulls out his hatchet, sending it flying at the cockatrice's head.

Drop ax, Interact to draw hatchet, Strike, Interact to pick up ax
Hatchet (thrown 10 feet), ranged: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Slashing, with implement empowerment, personal antithesis: 1d6 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 3 = 10
I got a 24 earlier on my Exploit, so if it has a weakness, I'd use that instead if it's more

Reaction to Ring Bell if cockatrice makes a Strike or Casts a Spell that would affect me or an ally. Class DC 18.


Male Goblin ◆◇↺ Witch [Beastmaster] 3 Hp 26/27 AC (T) 17 Fort(T) +6, Ref(E) +9, Will(E) +6 Perception(T) +4

Strongjaw is seen glaring at the cockatrice while the White Rabbit is also seem mean mugging the flighty bird.
Intimidation(T) to Demoralize, threat display: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 1 = 28

The Witch then Hexes the bird!
Clinging Ice Hex Reflex DC 18: 1d4 ⇒ 1

Strongjaw then grants Life Boost to Valda!
Fast Healing 2 for 4 Rounds.


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

Hakata gathers himself and takes aim at the cockatrice, flashing a flare of flame in its face.

Channeler's Stance, Cast ignition

spell attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 for fire: 2d4 + 1 ⇒ (4, 3) + 1 = 8


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Once Strongjaw intimidates the creature, there isn't much hope for it surviving the onslaught from the scouts. One blow after another falls, and a few moments later, the cockatrice topples over, overwhelmed before it can even engage.

Ardissa's eyes fill with hope when the cockatrice emerges, but she deflates moments later once you quickly defeat the creature. She remains kneeling, sullen, and silent.

With Lady Ardissa's plots and plans foiled, she is no longer a threat to the party, and they can explore a little more freely.

Looking around the area, you find an exciting discovery. A weathered piece of angled stone about 4 feet tall protrudes above the ledge. Its sides are slanted upward, and its top is flat, resembling a narrow pyramid stuck point-first in the ground. Having seen a similar stone on the battlefield, you immediately recognize it. Luckily for you, there is no effigy protecting this one. This stone is like the one you discovered previously in the battlefield.

This stone is like the one the scouts discovered in the old battleground, but it enhances evocation magic; the range of any evocation spell cast within 100 feet of the stone is increased by a factor of 5.

A character who examines the evocation apaku and succeeds at a DC 18 Arcana or Nature check identifies its powers. If the character already identified the powers of the transmutation apaku on the old battleground, this DC is only 16.


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

Nature: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"Curious. The earth spirits whisper that this stone channels the power of flame. Or any energy for that matter. I wonder if it is natural, or if it was placed here."


Male Goblin ◆◇↺ Witch [Beastmaster] 3 Hp 26/27 AC (T) 17 Fort(T) +6, Ref(E) +9, Will(E) +6 Perception(T) +4

Strongjaw looks at the effigy, while the White Rabbit feeds the goblin cheese. The goat eats hungrily at the foliage.
Arcana(T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

The goblin begins thumbing the White Rabbit on his head!
Yous gots da evocations in dere!


Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

Nature (trained): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Kadosh is more focused on making sure Ardissa is indeed defeated.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Kadosh ensures compliance from Arissa while the others finish securing, exploring, and scouting the area. You make it clear to her what will happen if you reencounter her.

Taking your leave, you return to the following and continue pushing towards Red Cat Cave. The next day, you find a sight that strikes a nerve and you know who is behind the atrocity.

A lifelike statue of a rearing mammoth stands in the middle of this grassy flatland. The statue balances on its hind legs precariously, lacking a base. The mammoth’s face appears twisted in anger; trunk curled as though mid-trumpet. Beneath one of the stone mammoth’s feet are the crushed remains of a feathered animal - a cockatrice.

Examining the statue, you realize it's too late for this creature, and the petrification has become permanent. You see telltale signs of cluster wounds on the mammoth's hide from Ardissa's magic missiles. Extracting the cockatrice from under the mammoth's foot, you find an emerald-studded collar worth 25gp.


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 3 | HP 50/50 | AC 20 | Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus: 2/2 | Hero Point: 2/3

Valda shakes her head, feeling both anger and sadness at the sight of the petrified mammoth. "This is exactly why the other cockatrice could not be suffered to live. My heart aches for this poor mammoth, but it may be beyond our ability to help."


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

"Yes, a waste. It would have made a fine addition to the herd." Hakata sends up a prayer for the wild spirit of the mammoth.


Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

Kadosh nods. "We shouldn't have let her go," he growls. "If I'd known..."


Female Demontouched Female Kellid God-Caller 3 - HP 44/44| AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +9 | Perception +9 | Focus 2/2 |Hero Points 3 |

Veshka fumes wordlessly, spitting again in disgust.


Male Goblin ◆◇↺ Witch [Beastmaster] 3 Hp 26/27 AC (T) 17 Fort(T) +6, Ref(E) +9, Will(E) +6 Perception(T) +4

Stepping reverently to stand in front of the now Mammoth effigy, the trio just state in silent contemplations. After a few minutes they each turn their blue eyes to land of the group.
This atrocious act can not be forgotten or forgiven. Her life is forfeit if we ever encounter her again.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

As the scouts stand solemnly before the petrified mammoth, a quiet rustling in the nearby foliage captures their attention. Out of the underbrush emerges a large dire wolf, its movements tentative and cautious. The scouts immediately recognize her from Ardissa's camp, where she stood as a near-statue, a victim of the cockatrice's gaze.

The dire wolf, now free from her stony imprisonment, approaches the group with a submissive demeanor. Her tail is tucked between her legs, a gesture of peace and deference. The scouts watch cautiously, aware of the wolf's potential danger yet intrigued by her approach.

As the wolf draws nearer, she sniffs the air around the scouts, picking up their scents. Her eyes, intelligent and perceptive, scan each of their faces, as if trying to understand the beings before her. There’s a recognition in her gaze, an acknowledgment of the scouts as her rescuers.

The wolf stops just a few feet away from the group, maintaining her non-threatening stance.


Male Goblin ◆◇↺ Witch [Beastmaster] 3 Hp 26/27 AC (T) 17 Fort(T) +6, Ref(E) +9, Will(E) +6 Perception(T) +4

Strongjaw, the White Rabbit and Tanngrisnir smile at the lone, but injured dire wolf!
Heal(1st): 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Nature(T) to Command An Animal : 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Want to stay fer dinner?


Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

Kadosh moves cautiously, thinking about Imek's stories. If they could add the dire wolf to the following, she could be a wonderful guardian -- as long as the mammoths weren't scared of her!

Technically, Tame Animal is an exploration activity, so not sure it's an option yet.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Sensing the group's openness and lack of threat, the wolf responds with a slight wag of her tail. It's a subtle yet clear indication of her willingness to interact, a sign that she might be open to joining the scouts and, by extension, their following.

With the invitation seemingly accepted, the dire wolf tentatively follows you back to your herd. You spend extra time the next several days helping to get the wolf acquainted with the following and ensure that it doesn't intend to become hostile or attack anyone in the following. By the end of the fourth day it seemingly begins to adopt a protective demeanor around the herd, ready to defend and protect.

Days later.

The scouts cautiously approach Red Cat Cave. The stark, red limestone formations, shaped like fangs, create an imposing entrance, reminiscent of a colossal feline predator. This imagery is further reinforced by the fading mural of a saber-toothed tiger, its form still vibrant despite the toll of time.

Arriving at the entrance of Red Cat Cave, the scouts are reminded of the crucial reasons that brought them to this ancient and mysterious location. The echoes of Grandfather Eiwa's final wishes resonate in their minds, highlighting the significance of their mission.

Previously with Argakoa:

Argakoa wrote:

"Listen closely, scouts," Argakoa begins, her eyes holding the weight of her years and the momentousness of the situation. "We face an uncertain future, but for now, we heed Eiwa's final wish. We make for Red Cat Cave, and there we shall unravel the mystery of the Primordial Flame."

"Since we're aiming for Red Cat Cave, we also have another crucial mission. We must discover what became of the Primordial Flame. Once we arrive at the cave, we may need to spend some time uncovering this mystery. Remember, if we can't learn anything, our only option is to head north along the familiar migration trail, skirting the Tusk Mountains to our east."

As they examine the area, Hakata's keen observation skills reveal something intriguing and potentially crucial: large, web-toed tracks. These tracks meander in and out of the cave, meticulously avoiding the old stone fire ring, as if the creature that left them was wary of this man-made structure. The avoidance suggests a level of intelligence or at least a learned behavior, hinting at the cave's current occupants.


Male Goblin ◆◇↺ Witch [Beastmaster] 3 Hp 26/27 AC (T) 17 Fort(T) +6, Ref(E) +9, Will(E) +6 Perception(T) +4

Granting a Goblin thumbs up to the dire wolf, Strongjaw nods.
She will need to be officially named as a tribe member too.

At Red Cat Cave, the Daring tio completely keep their distance from the entrance, once the tracks were spotted.

Strongjaw points into the cave.
Valda!


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

Hakata is initially suspicious of the wolf, but it quietly wins him over with its gentler-than-assumed nature. He sneaks bites of dinner to the wolf from his own portion.

~+~At the cave...~+~

Looking up from the tracks, Hakata warns the other scouts: "There's some sort of large creature here, and fairly intelligent." He points to the fire ring. "The tracks avoid this areas. Perhaps we should have the following stop here while we look for signs of this creature, or signs of the Primordial Flame."


Female Demontouched Female Kellid God-Caller 3 - HP 44/44| AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +9 | Perception +9 | Focus 2/2 |Hero Points 3 |

"They'll wait here while we see what is to be seen." With Catamoch at her side, Veshka quickly plunges into the darkness, eyes briefly glowing as she passes from light into shadow.


"Radiant" | Female human exemplar 3 | HP 50/50 | AC 20 | Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +8 | Perc +6 | Focus: 2/2 | Hero Point: 2/3

Valda keeps her gleaming sword drawn as she stares into the darkness where Veshka and Catamoch have vanished. Tense and wary, she follows in their wake.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

As the scouts cautiously approach the entrance of Red Cat Cave, their senses are heightened by the unfamiliar surroundings. Led by Hakata, they carefully inspect the area, noting a series of strange, web-toed tracks leading in and out of the cave. The group shares uncertain glances, aware that these tracks signify the presence of unknown inhabitants within the cave.

Remembering Elder Eiwa's dying words, they are acutely aware of the cave's significance and the task at hand. Eiwa had spoken of Syarstik, a noble beast turned tormented spirit, and the mysterious disappearance of the Primordial Flame. This cave, which once held such an important relic for the Broken Tusks, now has more questions than answers.

As they venture closer to the cave, they are startled by a sudden movement. A cave painting, which seemed dormant and lifeless, animates with a life of its own. It lashes out, but the scouts are just far enough to avoid being struck. This haunting display, though unexpected, doesn't deter them. Instead, it reinforces the mystical nature of the cave and the possibility of encountering Syarstik's enraged spirit.

As Veshka cautiously navigates the entrance of Red Cat Cave, her sharp eyes catch sight of something unusual nestled between two of the fire stones. Curiosity piqued, she moves closer for a better look. What she discovers is a feather step stone, an intriguing artifact quite unlike anything she has seen before.

The stone is small, its shape resembling a cabochon, smooth and polished. It's made of amber and glows faintly with warm hues, with a delicate bit of feather or perhaps a flying insect trapped within its translucent depths.


Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

"That's good luck to find that," Kadosh whispers. "It means the spirits are still here, helping us. We must find Syarstik."


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

"Try to help him find peace. The following owes him a debt of gratitude." Hakata tries to ease the knots in his shoulders and stomach, thinking of the plight of the spirit.


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

As the scouts venture into the depths of Red Cat Cave, they find themselves enveloped in the cool, humid air characteristic of the subterranean environment. The cave, a natural formation within a red, iron-rich limestone hill, has narrow passages.

The sound of sloshing water from an underground lake somewhere deep within the cave creates a soothing, if somewhat eerie, background murmur. The cave's ceiling looms overhead at a height of around 6 feet in the passages, expanding to about 8 feet in the chambers, though the naturally rounded shape of the rooms makes them feel more confined at the edges. The lack of artificial lighting and the cave's preference for darkness is evident; only the slightest hints of natural light filter through the overhang, casting dim, dancing shadows on the walls.

Upon entering the first chamber, the scouts are immediately struck by the sight of a smashed wine cask near the southern wall. The debris is scattered haphazardly, suggesting a sudden, frenzied event. They recall the tales of Lady Ardissa Prendergast and her porters, who briefly considered this cave for a campsite before being unnerved by the mysterious sounds from deeper within.

The two web-footed creatures in the room make their presence known by hissing defensively at the intruders, clearly disturbed by the unexpected company.

Hakata can act before the creatures.

GM:

Valda: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Hakata: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Strong Jaw: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Veshka: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Kadosh: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Baddies: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

Hakata enchants his bow and fires on one of the creatures.

Cast runic weapon, Strike

+1 striking shortbow: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 for piercing: 2d8 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5


TG1 | GW | FF | RH

Hakata's shot ricochets off the cavern wall, missing.

These creatures resemble awkward, stubby humanoids with disproportionately large, frog-like heads and massive eyes that dominate their visage. Their skin has a damp sheen, reminiscent of amphibians, and their movements are quick yet skittish, betraying a sense of unease or fear.

In a sudden flurry of activity, the creatures make a dash past the group, heading deeper into the cavern. Their size and stature make them appear almost comical, yet there's a certain uneasiness about them. As they scuttle forward, both creatures make a desperate attempt to bite Valda, the closest member of the group. One of them even takes a swipe at her with a clawed hand. However, their attacks are clumsy and poorly aimed, easily dodged by the more experienced exemplar.

Suddenly, from their oversized eyes, a blinding spotlight of intense light floods the entranceway of the cavern. The brightness is almost overpowering, emanating from the creatures' eyes like powerful beams, momentarily stunning the scouts with its unexpected intensity. Everyone makes a DC18 Fort save!

DC18 Fort Save:

Bright light shines from the creature's eyes in a 30-foot emanation. Each creature in the bright light when the creature uses this action, or who enters it while the light continues, must attempt a DC 18 Fortitude save. It is then temporarily immune for 1 hour. This light remains until the creature dims its eyes by using this action again.

Critical Success: The creature is unaffected.
Success: The creature is dazzled for 1 round.
Failure: The creature is blinded for 1d4 rounds.
Critical Failure: The creature is blinded for 1 hour.

Recall Knowledge DC16:
These creatures are Blindheims!

Inhabitants of damp, subterranean caves, blindheims resemble stubby humanoids with oversized, frog-like heads and bulbous eyes. Their eyes emit a soft glow at all times, but a blindheim can draw back the heavy membrane that normally covers them to emit an intense light as bright as day. These simple creatures use their lights to draw in or disorient prey, mostly small animals like lizards, rodents, or fish. However, they might go after larger prey if trying to feed their young. When they encounter creatures their own size or larger they retreat, flashing their eyes to facilitate their escape if necessary. They often hunt in pairs or small packs. Using their lights to coordinate from a distance, they slowly close in on the creatures they hunt. One common hunting pattern involves one blindheim diving deep and using its light to chase fish to the surface, while another up above snatches them up and tosses them onto the land to eat later.

I: blinded, light
W:
R:

Party up!

GM:

Attack!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Attack!: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Attack!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


NG male half-elf animist 3 HP 25/33 | AC 19 | F +7 R +8 W +11 | Perc +11 | speed 25 ft | focus 2/2| Hero 1 | Active Conditions: sickened 1

Fortitude: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Cursing his aim, Hakata calls on the spirits of the cavern to help him zero in on the enemy.

Embodiment of Battle, Strike, Strike

shortbow: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 8 + 1 = 25 for piercing: 2d8 + 1 ⇒ (3, 6) + 1 = 10
shortbow: 1d20 + 8 + 1 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 8 + 1 - 5 = 12 for piercing: 2d8 + 1 ⇒ (3, 6) + 1 = 10


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male HP 28, AC 18, F +8, R +5, W +6 Half-orc thaumaturge 2

Fortitude (expert): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
1d4 ⇒ 3

Quick stats:

HP 28/28
AC 18
Fort +8, Ref +5, Will +6
Hero points: 1
Effects: blinded 3 rounds

Kadosh blinks furiously as the light blinds him. "I can't see! I think they were mitflits, but I'm not sure! Try cold iron!" he calls out, hefting his axe in case something comes close.

"Back off, fey!" he growls.

Blink furiously (free), Exploit Vulnerability (with RK), Demoralize x2 (one for each of them)
Lore (esoteric) (trained) to Exploit Vulnerability vs. standard DC of creature's level: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Intimidation (trained): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Intimidation (trained): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Female Demontouched Female Kellid God-Caller 3 - HP 44/44| AC 17 | F +8 R +7 W +9 | Perception +9 | Focus 2/2 |Hero Points 3 |

Fort: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Rounds Blind?: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Catamoch Fort: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Veshka reels from the sudden flare of light funneling the fires of her rage and surprise to stoke Catamoch's own.

Extend Boost?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10 Not extended

451 to 500 of 729 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM ShadowLord's Quest for the Frozen Flame All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.