tt's The Elsebo Way

Game Master therealthom

Just for fun, a run through the SFS Season 1 story arc.

Maps, etc

End(ish) of Episode 1 End (ish) of episode 2]


251 to 300 of 964 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court

Maps, etc

Xephyr and Lorne both fire wide. Unaffected by the door, Jaeric's mental assault is more effective. Trilo clutches at her head with both hands.

Never round 6? Ali round 7?

Liberty's Edge

Gynoid Op 2 | HP 22/22 SP:21/21 RP: 7/7 |  EAC: 16 KAC: 17 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 | F: +1 R: +7 W: +3 | Atk:+7/d6+1

"Oh no, no no no," Allie chides the trying-to-flee would-be-assassin. "No one said you get to go home, chummer. Yer in tha BIG leagues now, omae."

She taps another button and a nearby vocal mixer shorts out and zaps her in the jaw, arm, and bum.

Trick Attack! DC 20+CR: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 11 + 4 = 34

Then she shoots her.

Gun Attack!: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Gun Damage!: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Trick Damage!: 1d8 ⇒ 7

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

The fight seemingly well in hand, Never advances toward the exterior hallway and throws open the door, prepared to intercede should the assassin somehow get past Jaeric.

Sovereign Court

Maps, etc

Never moves to the northern hallway to cut off any escape attempt.

Alison uses the room's electronics to provide a distraction and shoots the assassin again.

Triloteya clenches her fist around the signaling device, stares down at it and throws it at Alison.

Not an attack. Just a universal symbol of villain frustration.

With greater urgency she points her static arc pistol around the door and fires rapidly at Jaeric. The elf is shocked in the arm and directly in the chest.

Jaeric, you'll get an AoO if you've a melee weapon in hand. Any attacks around the door are at -2.

Round 7/8 Everyone is up.
Jaeric: (-14 SP ; -9 HP)
Lorne:
Zephyr:
Never:
Alison:
Triloteya: (-27 hp)

DM Rolls:

save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Attack: 1d20 + 9 - 4 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 9 - 4 - 2 = 18 ... damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Attack: 1d20 + 9 - 4 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 9 - 4 - 2 = 23 ... damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 crit: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


M Quest for the Sky Dwarf Cyberborn Mechanic 3 | EAC15 KAC17 CM25 | S 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | F+3 R+6 W+1 | Perc+6 | Init +3

"Stop squirmin' ya git!"

Tactical Skipshot Pistol vs KAC: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Piercing: 1d4 ⇒ 3


Android Soldier (Guard) 5 | HP 39/39 SP: 50/50 RP: 7/7 | EAC: 22 KAC: 25 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +4 | Artillery Laser: +11 or +7/+7: 2d8+5 F, Armored Smash +10 or +6/+6: 1d10+9 B

Having a clear shot with his Artillery Laser Rifle, Zephyr hopes he has dialed in the range and fires off a duo of laser bolts at the assassin.

Full attack with Heavy Laser: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 4 = 20
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 7

Full attack with Heavy Laser: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 7 - 4 = 16
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 7


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12

OOC: Yes. Jaeric had his semi-auto pistol in hand as he was holding the door, so he'll definitely take an AoO to fire back.

Gritting his teeth against the electricity arcing thru him, Jaeric weakly points his gun at the crack in the door and fires, unsure if he'll hit his target or just dissuade the assassin from trying to escape his direction.

AoO Attack: 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 - 2 = 8 (pretty sure that's a miss)
Damage (piercing): 1d6 ⇒ 2

His gaze is hazy and his hand unsteady as Jaeric's entire body feels slow to obey his brain.

"Never!" he calls across the comm, "I could use some help here!"

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never frowns. She would have been in this fight if the Spiders had been capable of doing their job. Count her among the unimpressed by Radaszam.

"On my way!"

Double full move. (Entropic Pool +1 = 2)

Sovereign Court

Maps, etc

Lorne's slug ricochet's off the door over the assassin's shoulder. Z-4 puts two laser shots into her back and she falls to the floor.

Her hair shrinks back into her head. The flesh of her face and hands roughens and reshapes into fine green scales. Bones hiss and pop as her entire skeletal structure changes.

You are looking at a reptilian humanoid, but definitely not a vesk. She's wearing casual stationwear, and has a static arc pistol, survival knife, two mk 1 serums of healing, a detonator, well that's lying on the floor across the room, and a credstick with 586 credits. She has no ID, or other objects on her person.


Android Soldier (Guard) 5 | HP 39/39 SP: 50/50 RP: 7/7 | EAC: 22 KAC: 25 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +4 | Artillery Laser: +11 or +7/+7: 2d8+5 F, Armored Smash +10 or +6/+6: 1d10+9 B

”Target is neutralized, you may proceed with the event,” murmurs Zephyr into the comms.


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12

"Oh...thank Desna!" Jaeric responds, slumping back against the other side of the door, gingerly putting his pistol away so as not to aggravate the electrical burns all over his chest. "Good job, team..." He musters as much encouragement as he can into the words, but they still come out rather weak. "I think I may have gotten the worst of it on this end...but better than Triloteya, I suppose."

When Never finally rounds the corner, he gives her a wan smile, waving with one hand propped up over his knee where he leans against the door. "I might need a medic..." he tells her, then chuckles, "Of course, I am the medic, so...let's see if I can put myself back together." He offers a soft prayer to the goddess of luck and traces his free hand across the worst of the burns.

OOC: Jaeric casts mystic cure with the last of his daily spells. He then spends a Resolve point to recover his stamina, as well.
Healing: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 (wow, that sucks)

"Still a bit worse for the wear..." he mutters, "Those electric arc guns really sting..." He reaches up and clasps a butterfly pendant hanging around a necklace under his chin.

OOC: Jaeric spends another Resolve point to channel energy to try and complete the healing cycle.
Channel: 2d8 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6

"Ah...mostly better...but it's gonna be sore for awhile..."

Liberty's Edge

Gynoid Op 2 | HP 22/22 SP:21/21 RP: 7/7 |  EAC: 16 KAC: 17 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 | F: +1 R: +7 W: +3 | Atk:+7/d6+1

"You get used to it," Wraith comments without further explanation as she nonchalantly locus-strips the lizard-shapechanger-assassin of valuables.

"I guess we now know why no one else knew what they looked like.

Are shape changers common? I didn't think there were common. Or, like, existed. This magic?"

Who is keeping track of loot?

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never gives Jaeric a good thump on the back. "Nice work, boss."

Then, seeing everyone rolling shoulders and cracking knuckles, she hoists the dead reptilian shapeshifter up on her shoulder and marches it back into the Skyreach Room, dropping it with a thud on the stage as if it were a prize catch.

She grabs the microphone out of Zo!'s hand and peers into the crowd. "All you rich folks can breathe easy. We took care of the problem for you. Give generously now, you hear?"

Returning the mic to the media mogul with an exaggerated wink, Never hops off the stage and intercepts a full drink tray, then returns with it to the control room to hand everyone of the team a glass of the good stuff.


M Quest for the Sky Dwarf Cyberborn Mechanic 3 | EAC15 KAC17 CM25 | S 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | F+3 R+6 W+1 | Perc+6 | Init +3

The fwatf.makes his way to the captain. "Don't you fret now, ol' fix-it'll take care o' ya." He pulls out a medkit and begins working to treat the more serious injuries.

After a few minutes of effort, "Sorry, Cap'n. Guess we'll have to work this the normal bedrest and care route."

Medicine DC 25 Treat Deadly Wound w/ Basic Medkit: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20


Android Soldier (Guard) 5 | HP 39/39 SP: 50/50 RP: 7/7 | EAC: 22 KAC: 25 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +4 | Artillery Laser: +11 or +7/+7: 2d8+5 F, Armored Smash +10 or +6/+6: 1d10+9 B

Zephyr intercepts Never at the door and says, ”It actually looks better for us if the donors don’t have their delicate constitutions challenged by being confronted with the corpse of a would-be assassin. They would rather think they were far from danger due to the prowess of Starfinder Security than know they were moments away from being exploded.”

Backing away, he adds, ”That’s my experience with these types, anyway. You do what you think is best.”

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

"Thanks," Never replies. Not once in her life has she needed to consider how something "looks" before tonight. She decides to think on it tomorrow, then goes and drops a corpse on the stage.

Liberty's Edge

Gynoid Op 2 | HP 22/22 SP:21/21 RP: 7/7 |  EAC: 16 KAC: 17 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 | F: +1 R: +7 W: +3 | Atk:+7/d6+1

'Man, I should really drop more corpses on more stages,' Wraith thinks, pouting.

But the smiles returns as she accepts an amber-colored drink-bulb from Never the Drink Girl. She smiles as she savors it.

Sovereign Court

Maps, etc

Was hoping for a little PvP action. Nothing makes a GM happier.

While the rest of the party tends its wounds, Never hauls the corpse down to the banquet hall. The small ripple of attention that begins when she enters the room swaying under the corpse's weight, turns into a gasp filled silent regard when the body thuds unto the stage and Never makes her speech.

Radaszam, standing near the back of the room with two of his black-armored Spiders, glares at Never over the crowd. Something about his expression accentuates the size and sharpness of the teeth in his slightly opened mouth. Elsebo, who was just preparing to mount the stairs at the far end of the stage watches intently. A thin smile as non-committal as Mona Lisa's twists her lips.

Zo! merely glances at the corpse before looking up at the crowd and licks his dry lips. "Well, this 'problem' looks like a tasty morgue morsel. I've got some ghoul friends who wouldn't be upset if dinner showed up this late. They could chop leftovers into a salad. But look at that armor. My friends usually prefer salad without dressing ...."

Elsebo travels the stairs in two large steps. Scoops the microphone from Zo! on her way across the stage, and plants a foot on the corpse, claiming it.

“I had planned for this evening’s announcement to be an exciting one, but I’ll admit this is not quite what I had in mind,” the First Seeker begins, her smile wry but determined. “Now I find my resolve only further galvanized because if someone hired an assassin -- " she shoves her heel into the corpse to rock it. "-- to kill me on the eve of this announcement, in this very public setting filled with friends of the Starfinder Society, then I know we're moving in the right direction."

“As many of you know, the First Seeker has the privilege and the responsibility for choosing the direction of the Starfinder Society’s research efforts. I have refrained from setting such a direction while we regroup and rebuild—an undertaking which all of you here have made possible. Also, the fact that Guidance has not yet chosen to formalize my election is another matter, but not one the Society can risk dwelling on. Now that the Society is again in a position to reach for the stars, I am pleased to formally announce the focus of our efforts during my tenure.
"Thanks to the tireless research of my associate Royo, we have identified a lead on understanding the Scoured Stars incident. And so, the Starfinder Society will continue researching the Scoured Stars, in the hopes of reuniting with our lost colleagues.”

“And I already have highly qualified agents in mind to undertake the first mission!”

Sovereign Court

Maps, etc

Never:
VC Naiaj is waiting for you in the access corridor on your way back to the AV room with the drinks.

"You've got style,kid, but that wasn't the smartest move. Tonight was about Elsebo's big announcement, and you might have sent the patrons home talking about your little stunt instead. I think the First Seeker pulled it out of the fire though.
"You didn't make a friend in Radaszam tonight. He's going to think you sabotaged all the work he's done trying to rehabilitate our reputation. Watch your back with the vesk."

She motions for you to bring the drink tray lower, and grabs a glass. "For your companions, I presume? I love a team player. Now get out here."

She waves you down the hall.

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never shrugs. She doesn't want Radaszam as a friend. After tonight, she's convinced he's not competent. The whole place would have gone up in flames if it wasn't for she and Jaeric finding and defusing most of the bombs. Would she trust Rad's organization to come through in the clutch the next time? Not a chance. He got lucky with the information about the assassin. Probably stole the Dataphiles hard work and claimed it for his own.

Radaszam can stuff it.

Liberty's Edge

Gynoid Op 2 | HP 22/22 SP:21/21 RP: 7/7 |  EAC: 16 KAC: 17 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 | F: +1 R: +7 W: +3 | Atk:+7/d6+1

"Here here!" Allie cheers as the First Seeker makes a rousing speech.

"Man, I wonder what suckers she found to undertake that train wreck," she muses, taking another appreciative sip.


M Quest for the Sky Dwarf Cyberborn Mechanic 3 | EAC15 KAC17 CM25 | S 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | F+3 R+6 W+1 | Perc+6 | Init +3

Lorne just hangs his head and shakes it back and forth, slowly, after hearing WhiteAngel's response to the speech. He just leas her wait to be told what's next as he considers how to get better gear issued, or found, so that his meager skill can serve better in the future.


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12
Alison "Wraith" WhiteAngel wrote:
"Here here!" Allie cheers as the First Seeker makes a rousing speech. "Man, I wonder what suckers she found to undertake that train wreck," she muses, taking another appreciative sip.

Jaeric wanders back into the gala just in time to hear both Elsebo's speech and Alison's comment. "I believe she means us..." he dryly comments from behind Lorne and the android. "All in all, I guess we made a good enough impression in handling this assassination business that the First Seeker has her eye on us for something more now."

Despite his words, Jaeric frowns a bit, both with the lingering burns from Triloteya's arc gun and the scene-stealing corpse drop Never had pulled off. By the look of Radaszam, the vesk doesn't look especially pleased with her, but he had to be happy they averted the true catastrophe that would have resulted if those bombs went off. 'Don't quibble overly much with the means as long as the important stuff still gets done...' he thinks to himself, 'Otherwise, handle it yourself if you want to dictate how it all goes down.'

"Well, gang...I expect there'll be some kind of debrief at some point before they give us another mission. I'm not sure how everything went down the A/V room, but we should probably compare notes so we're all on the same page when they interview us."

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Groaning at the idea of a boring debriefing, Never slugs back the rest of her champagne. She figures their duties for the evening were concluded.

"Hey team, let's blow this place and get some real drinks. I know a little dive in the Dark Ward where the bartender still owes me." With that, Never leaves the Skyreach room and all the hullabaloo.


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12

"All the better..." Jaeric agrees, "A little carousing seems well-earned tonight. Plus, if we can slip out of here before Radaszam or Naiaj try to corner us, we can talk thru how things shook out before any debrief." The half-elf finishes his champagne, as well, then gestures for everyone to follow Never. Once they exit the gala, he catches up to their guide.

"Hey, Never...great job defusing those bombs. I know I got one, but you were all over the place. Far better than those Spiders seemed to do. I daresay if we weren't helping them, things could have gone much, much worse..." he begins, "Outside of that, be prepared for Luwazi or Radaszam...or maybe even Naiaj...to question your call on dragging the assassin's corpse into the event hall and dumping it on the stage for all to see. They'll be all concerned about the optics of it...offending one of the attendees or supporters that the Society is so dependent on these days...upstaging Luwazi's speech...blah, blah, blah..."

"Personally, I didn't mind it so much," he shares, "In some ways, it sends the kind of message we need to deliver these days. People will be talking about it, for sure. Don't mess with the Starfinders, or we'll mess you up. No holds barred, so to speak. And if anyone has their delicate sensibilities offended by it, well, maybe we'd be better off without their support. After all, if Luwazi's going to seriously look into the Scoured Stars incident, it's not going to be all stardust and rainbows. Reality is a lot different for those of us on the front lines, and arm-chair diplomats or emissaries trying to curry favor with the Society or put us in their debt need to know they don't always get to call the shots."

"So, anyway, that's just a long way of me saying, good job. You might catch some flak for how you handled things there at the end, but I'll have your back. Now where's this bar you mentioned...? I could use a drink to take the edge off these burns..."


Android Soldier (Guard) 5 | HP 39/39 SP: 50/50 RP: 7/7 | EAC: 22 KAC: 25 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +4 | Artillery Laser: +11 or +7/+7: 2d8+5 F, Armored Smash +10 or +6/+6: 1d10+9 B

Zephyr smiles as the first speaker makes a veiled reference to their success as a team and a potential next mission. Hopefully soon he will get a chance to pilot another starship soon. Until then, rest and resupply seems to be in order, but first he remains alert for the remainder of the meeting, realizing that just because one assassin has been foiled doesn't mean that no other threats will arise during the rest of the night.

If the others see fit to exit before the gala is over, Zephyr will stay and continue to aid with security--like a good soldier--until formally relieved. If the others are waiting until after they are dismissed, he will join them for the after-gala celebration.

Liberty's Edge

Gynoid Op 2 | HP 22/22 SP:21/21 RP: 7/7 |  EAC: 16 KAC: 17 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 | F: +1 R: +7 W: +3 | Atk:+7/d6+1
Jaeric Kem wrote:
Alison "Wraith" WhiteAngel wrote:
"Here here!" Allie cheers as the First Seeker makes a rousing speech. "Man, I wonder what suckers she found to undertake that train wreck," she muses, taking another appreciative sip.
Jaeric wanders back into the gala just in time to hear both Elsebo's speech and Alison's comment. "I believe she means us..." he dryly comments from behind Lorne and the android. "All in all, I guess we made a good enough impression in handling this assassination business that the First Seeker has her eye on us for something more now."

Wraith chews on that for a moment. She goes quiet, digesting what the future has in store and how it has come to this. She wonders how she got on this path, and if she ever had a choice? Any chance to say no?

At last she puts voice to the sum her work during the silence.

"Money, more."


M Quest for the Sky Dwarf Cyberborn Mechanic 3 | EAC15 KAC17 CM25 | S 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | F+3 R+6 W+1 | Perc+6 | Init +3

"That wouldn't be up to the Cap'n, as you didn't sign up with him anymore than the rest of us. We signed up with the Starfinders and got assigned together. How much we get paid is up to the woman making plans about how we're gonna spend our time."

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

"I'm with Allie. I didn't join the Starfinders just to milk cash out of rich pricks. I joined up so I wouldn't have to sleep on the street anymore. We saved all of their bacon tonight. Time to get our cut."


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12

"You guys sound like members of the Acquisitives faction," Jaeric comments, "I've heard Radaszam leads them. Very mercenary. A desire for fame, glory, and above all...money. They want it all. And, for certain missions, I'm sure such goals can still align with those of the Society. But, at times, it diverges...and that can lead to ex-Starfinders who choose to go their own path, separate from the rest of us."

"As for me," he continues, "I guess I'm drawn more to the goals of some of the other factions that make up the Society. The Dataphiles...they believe knowledge is power, and as someone who mixes a healthy amount of magic with technology, and an inherent interest in alien artifacts and xenoarchaeology, I can support their belief. The Second Seekers are kind of that way, too. They'll rally around Luwazi's call in an effort to learn from the past. That knowledge will definitely power the future of the Starfinder Society...even moreso if they can re-establish contact with those lost during the Scoured Stars incident..."

"But, I guess the teachings of Desna guide me a lot more than I ever expected when I joined her priesthood back on Castrovel. Exploration and being the first into the unknown is something my fellow believers would embrace, and it goes hand in hand with the philosophy of the Wayfinder faction. Maybe the Exo-Guardians, too, given how much they want to be a sword defending our society from the darkness that likely lurks on the edges of known space. I can get behind that. It's important to defend the innocent so they don't suffer under unrelenting cruelty."

He hesitates as he considers his next words more fully and how the rest of the team might receive them. "Look...that's really just a lot of talk to basically say, we all come from different backgrounds...and sometimes with different individual goals," he finishes, "But there's room for all. The Society has a noble purpose. At least, I think so. And I'd encourage you guys to make room for a little more driving force behind what we do than just the money. It doesn't hurt to have it, of course, but money eventually runs out. It's what you do with it that allows you to shape the universe and your life within it. What shape that takes, and what value your life brings to others, is what really matters."

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never squints through her whisky glass at Jaeric. He's obviously not drunk enough yet. Wait, is he sober?

"I'll tell you what I'm gonna do with my cut," she replies after he concludes his thesis, "I'm getting some real armor. Then I'm gonna kick the universe in the ass. I don't give two s++~s about fame or glory or separate paths or any of that other smart stuff you said. I'm surviving - that's my first order of business. The rest will come when it comes. And anyways, everything we do in life we do for ourselves. The value you bring to others? You wouldn't bother if you didn't care, and you only care because it's important to you. We're all selfish to the core - most of us for different reasons. I'll fight anyone who judges me for mine."


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12

"Well, that's kind of the point, right?" Jaeric offers, "Everyone's selfish to the core if they're in survival mode, because to do otherwise risks the very life you're trying to live." He gestures with his glass. "But, once your survival needs are met...what then? Do you keep being selfish, amassing more and more so your survival will never, ever be at risk again? That path is neverending and it eventually leads to greed and cruelty towards others who can't claw their way up to reach the plateau you've obtained. At that point, you're essentially holding them down...perhaps the exact same way others once did to you when you found yourself in survival mode. If you don't recognize that, and adjust your outlook, you'll become the very thing threatening the survival of those below you. In which case, you've stamped out all empathy for the very situation you once resented for yourself."

He laughs to offset any bite to his words. "Look, I'm not intentionally being judgmental. It's just an observation. A personal philosophy, perhaps? I'm not trying to proselytize anyone. So, no reason to fight me over it. They're just words. I'm just saying, life's a lot more complex than 'survival and self'...and it takes time and experience to look at it that way. People justify all kinds of things to pursue that which they perceive is in their best interest. That's how tyranny can take root in some people's hearts. And that's how suppression to maintain their 'comfort', 'safety', and 'survival' can do incredible harm to those under a tyrant's boot. I don't think I'm championing bringing value to others just because I care about helping them. I do, but in the end, it also helps me. And, by extension, if you embrace that belief...eventually...over time...you may also be helping yourself, because of how it improves the world around us...the very same world that we all live in. If you need a selfish reason to do it...to better ensure your survival...there's always that viewpoint, too."

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

"Survival mode's got nothing to do with it," Never retorts, then motions for the bartender to quickly push a glass of something strong and brown in front of Jaeric.

"You're a good person, Cap. Doing things because they're the right things to do. Helping others and stuff. I bet that gives you a good feeling. You see a bus hop the lane and smash into a garbage sled, you'd probably feel pretty bad about that. So you get elected to Station Council, and then you make the median divider taller so the next bus bumps harmlessly back into its own lane. Now you feel like you helped a little. You feel better.

"But what if you saw that bus crash and you felt nothing at all? People lived, and people died. It's going to happen to us all. It wasn't your fault and there wasn't anything you could have done about it. It happened, and you moved on. Is that wrong? And if it is, who gets to decide that, and what gives them the right?

"Your personal values make you do what you do. It doesn't matter if you have nothing or you have everything, whether you're fighting for your next meal or deciding which planet to buy. It's all exactly the same; it's what is important to you in that moment. You do it because it's what you want. Sure, sometimes the decisions are easier, like the way I was before I joined this racket. It was do or die. We're more selfish now, because we get to choose what we do with our lives. Your choice is about you, and nobody else, no matter how you want to spin it."


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12

"Well, survival mode must have something to do with it," Jaeric returns, "You brought it up yourself, right? You're 'surviving'--and that's your 'first order of business'? Sounds like it must have informed your past pretty substantially for you to feel that way. And that's not a knock on anyone. I admire those who persevere and find their way thru whatever life throws in front of them."

He nudges the glass of brown liquid in front of him, but doesn't yet pick it up to drink. "You know, I try to be a good person. Like anyone else, I don't always succeed. We're all fallible. But it's the trying that matters, I think. Your example. With the bus? Some people live and some people die? I hear the pessimist in you and it's all moot. No reason to be good or helpful in that situation, right? Death's going to happen to us all? Sure. Sure. And maybe in some of those situations, there really isn't anything anyone can do...certainly not for those who perished. I agree."

He picks up the drink and looks Never squarely in the eye while he holds it. "But what about the people left behind? Not just the survivors. But those who had friends or family who died on that bus. What do you think they're going to feel? Grief, I suspect. Gut-wrenching, horrifying grief and a crushing despair that will tear at their souls for days unending. Those are the people I think about in that situation. Who's going to help them? Because they most assuredly will need help. More than anyone else affected by such a terrible thing."

He slugs back the drink and swallows, setting the glass back on the counter.

"Maybe our personal values do make us do what we do. But they don't all have to be for selfish reasons. Doing good doesn't just make the doer feel better. It can make those they help feel better, too. And therein lies the difference..."

"So, maybe give it a try. Do something nice for someone...just because of the good it might inspire in them. In fact, next round's on me." He nods to the bartender and motions with his finger for drinks all around. "If we're going to celebrate our success and unwind, let's do it proper, yeah?"

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never shakes her head more vigorously than is required. "What difference does it make to you if others feel better? I do nice things for people. I just bought you a drink. Drink it. I did that because I wanted to. If you help people, it's because you want to. And if you do something you didn't want to do, like follow Radaszam's stupid orders, its because of some reason - some justification that you make that places the personal incentive to do that thing above not doing it.

"Maybe you're taking all of this to mean that I'm not willing to help others. I've said nothing of the sort. All I'm saying is that everything everyone does is purely out of self-interest, regardless of what those actions may do to benefit others."


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12

"Well, tomorrow...if you come to me complaining of a hangover and you're desperate for a mystic cure to end your misery, let me know if I should help you because of my self-interest or yours..." he chuckles.

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never shrugs and looks around the bar. "Does anyone get it?"


M Quest for the Sky Dwarf Cyberborn Mechanic 3 | EAC15 KAC17 CM25 | S 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | F+3 R+6 W+1 | Perc+6 | Init +3

"Nope. I was born and raised on a generational ship. You know what that means? It means every decision, every risk, has a bearing on whether or not everybody you've ever known, loved, or expect to cuddle up in your lap when you're old and feeble will survive, or even get to exist in the first place. So, yeah, I get the survival motive, but it is about the survival of everybody, not me, that matters. I'm not here ta get rich, or build a reputation, or save the galaxy, or whatever. I'm here to learn as much as I can so that when the ship is ready ta leave again, I can better help keep all of them alive. It ain't ever about me. Can't afford for it to be."

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never ordered another round, but watched Jaeric suspiciously. She bought him a drink and he wasn't having it. The glass sat there on the dirty plane of the bar, a little container of potential. But for what? Who cares, thought Never. She felt its gravity - a stitch in the fabric of the universe. She just had to reach out and give it a tug, and it would unravel.

Yeah, I'm gonna get new armor and kick some ass, alright.

Liberty's Edge

Gynoid Op 2 | HP 22/22 SP:21/21 RP: 7/7 |  EAC: 16 KAC: 17 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 | F: +1 R: +7 W: +3 | Atk:+7/d6+1

Wraith scuttles over and plops herself on a nearby stool having finally updated the thing.

She knocks back her own Jaeric-given drink then motions for another.

Of note, he said he drank it, then bought a round.

"Hoi hoi. I think I can settle this. I tend to have a calming effect on these sorts of things.

Your entire argument if bulldrek, J, and I can prove it.

We got over two K coming to us after this run. Can I have your cut? Or you gonna be selfish and keep it?"

She smiles and waggles her eyebrows.

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Oh yeah, lost track of it.


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12
Alison "Wraith" WhiteAngel wrote:
"Hoi hoi. I think I can settle this. I tend to have a calming effect on these sorts of things....Your entire argument if bulldrek, J, and I can prove it....We got over two K coming to us after this run. Can I have your cut? Or you gonna be selfish and keep it?" She smiles and waggles her eyebrows.

"If I'm going to guard against selfishness, Allie, I certainly shouldn't keep it just for myself. After all, I didn't join the Society for money. All that glitters isn't gold. And the stars sparkle just as brightly." He gestures towards Lorne. "I'm with our dwarven friend, here. We've got a ship of our own to look after...and it'll come with a fair amount of communal costs all its own. So, I think I'll set it aside for now. Maybe ensure we have something for a rainy day fund in case there are unexpected repairs or docking fees down the road. Or, you know, if you think that's still too self-serving...I could always just give it away to charity at one of Desna's shrines here on the station? I mean, if I just gave it you, I'd only be financing further greed in someone else, right?" He adds the last with a smile and waggle of his eyebrows just the same.

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

I'm enjoying this, and we have a gap before the next module. If you guys are finding this tedious go ahead and change the subject.

"Selfish isn't probably the right word," Never reflects. "I shoulda said self-interest. Like, everything we do is in our own self-interest, even when we think we're doing things for others. Lorne's experience is an example of collective self-interest. All of your kin, Lorne, depend on you and on each other. The way you described that situation shows how important it is to you that you don't let them down."

Never turns back to Jaeric. She's enjoying this intellectual joust immensely. She could stare into his soulfull eyes all night. She pounds the drink Jaeric bought for her and attempts a new tack. "What's an example of a purely selfless act?"


Android Soldier (Guard) 5 | HP 39/39 SP: 50/50 RP: 7/7 | EAC: 22 KAC: 25 | Init: +5 | Perc: +5 | F: +6 R: +6 W: +4 | Artillery Laser: +11 or +7/+7: 2d8+5 F, Armored Smash +10 or +6/+6: 1d10+9 B

Zephyr makes sure he gets the celebration location data before the others leave, then stays to make sure the first speaker and her guests are secure for the remainder of the event. Still coordinating with Radaszam, he continues to mingle with the attendees, mostly listening and learning what more he can as he stays alert for any danger.

Liberty's Edge

Gynoid Op 2 | HP 22/22 SP:21/21 RP: 7/7 |  EAC: 16 KAC: 17 | Init: +4 | Perc: +5 | F: +1 R: +7 W: +3 | Atk:+7/d6+1

Wraith shakes her head prettily. "Neg. No. Negative. You -want- to give it to charity. You are listening to a self-centered motivation. That's the very definition of selfishness.
You don't want to give it to me. So not giving it to me is, also, selfish. To do a self-LESS act means you need to remove any internal motivations from the act.

Also, because I would invest it in l33t tech and shiny chrome that would be used in advancement of the starfinder cause, such a selfless act would be a step toward enhancing stability in the galaxy.

Or you can stuff it under your mattress where it does no one any good. Or....you could stuff it under Never's mattress. That might do someone some good."

She follows this with a wink that can only be called 'salacious'.


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12
Never Stormfox wrote:
"Selfish isn't probably the right word," Never reflects. "I shoulda said self-interest..."

"Yes. Self-interest is decidedly different from self-ish in my mind. Lots of people do things out of self-interest. And, if they take it too far, it can certainly become selfish. But I do think we can choose to act in ways that are far more helpful to those other than ourselves."

Never Stormfox wrote:
"What's an example of a purely selfless act?"

"Laying down your life for someone else. Even risking your life for someone else can be selfless. Philosophers might debate the nuances of whatever relationship you have with someone...or a relationship you hope to have with someone...that might cause you to act in such a way, thereby rationalizing that it's still in your own self-interest. I think there's gradations to that, though. Yes, some would be acting selfishly. Others probably not. Just depends on the circumstances involved. And, honestly, I think that's between them and whatever god they may happen to worship...or whoever they expect to judge them in the afterlife...if anyone."

"Other examples might be purely anonymous giving...whether in the form of money, time, or whatever someone might need...all with no expectation of anything in return. Sometimes just being a friend and listening to someone can be selfless. I mean, obviously, you probably take something from such conversations, including your continued friendship, but, if you're helping someone deal with trauma or depression or any other form of mental distress, I'd say they'll get far more from it than just you yourself."

"In my opinion...the greatest selfless acts stem from love. Not the selfish kind of love, but love for people and our shared experience in this universe. Genuine concern for one another's well-being, either independent of, or at least equal to, your own circumstances."


Male half-elf xenoarchaeologist envoy 1 / mystic 4 | SP: 38/38 | HP: 34/34 | RP: 5/5 | KAC: 19 EAC: 19 | Fort: +3, Ref: +6, Will: +9 | Melee: +4 | Ranged: +6 | Thrown: +4 | Init +3, Perc +12
Alison "Wraith" WhiteAngel wrote:
"Neg. No. Negative. You -want- to give it to charity. You are listening to a self-centered motivation. That's the very definition of selfishness. You don't want to give it to me. So not giving it to me is, also, selfish. To do a self-LESS act means you need to remove any internal motivations from the act...

"Just because someone wants to give to charity doesn't mean it's self-centered. The outward giving can have far more impact on the lives of others than your own. Even if it makes you feel good, I'd say the scales tip further towards those receiving such gifts, and so, I'd still consider it a mostly selfless act. Perhaps not a hundred percent, but close enough. Many of life's decisions, deductions, and outcomes are based on 'close enough'...and I don't see any reason why altruism can't be viewed in the same manner. I mean, it's not a competition. No one cares how much more selfless an act turns out to be. Most are just happy at the end result because of the suffering it relieves or the happiness it fosters."

"And, yes...I know that giving you my cut of whatever payment, reward, or confiscated holdings we receive would make you happy. But, I also believe that holding onto it as a cache for group use down the road will make a lot more of us happy. One can be selective in how they choose to exercise their altruism. It doesn't make you selfish in your decision-making. After all, no one can be all things to everyone or every cause in the galaxy. Resources are finite. They can only go so far. So, it's always going to be left to one's good judgment on where and how to apply them. That doesn't make such choices inherently selfish. And I think it makes the chooser wiser than the average man who might be motivated purely by self-interest." He nods his approval to Never and downs another drink.

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never shoots an eyebrow at Jaeric. "You're trying way too hard. If you give up your life for someone else, it's because you place more value on their life than your own. It's the greatest gift you can give, but you're still giving it for your own reasons.

"Anyway, I knew you'd say that. I rest my case. Last one to pass out pays the bill! Ooh, maybe we can stick Zephyr with it when he gets here."

Con: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18


M Quest for the Sky Dwarf Cyberborn Mechanic 3 | EAC15 KAC17 CM25 | S 18/18 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | F+3 R+6 W+1 | Perc+6 | Init +3

"It is easy to think you prove a position when all your arguments are based on assuming it to be true. Problem is, that belief means nothing when you fail to figure out why the thing broke, since your position blinds you to the truth." He shrugs. "Circular arguments get boring almost as fast staring at blank walls, though. Doesn't keep people from believing in them with their whole hearts, though."

Wayfinders

F Human (Gravity Dweller) Vanguard (5), Tinker | HP:39/39 SP:55/55 RP:6/6 | EAC:20 KAC:22 BAB:+5 INIT:+2 PERC:+11 | Fort:+9 Reflex:+6 Will:+7 | Spd:25' | Taclash: +8/1d6+11 (Entropic Strike)

Never tries to puzzle through Lorne's words. She's not sure who he directed the last comment to but figures it's her, cuz why not. "I believe you care for your people because you need to but you also want to. You're a stand-up dude; it's part of who you are. Then my argument is true, at least as it applies to your acting out of collective self-interest. If I'm wrong, then it's not necessarily untrue, because you could be motivated by something else. There is one other possibility where I'm dead wrong.

"What we're talking about is free will. The only proof against the assertion of self-interest is someone who does not act of her own free will. Does that apply to any one of us here? Jaeric, I told you to drink that whiskey. Did you simply obey my command to drink, or did you want to? Or, if you didn't want to but you did it anyway - it doesn't matter; you decided for yourself.

"Unless..."

251 to 300 of 964 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Elsebo Way All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.