Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders

Game Master Jibril Johan Sameh

On the north western edge of Al Aimtidad, the anvil desert, sits the jewel of the world, the city of Zhayalammar. It is the ancient city of invention, horror, passion, and sorcery.

The Narrative * City Map * Roll20 * Character Status * Lands Around Zhayalahmar * Known Power Groups * Gossamer House * Current Map


3,101 to 3,150 of 3,627 << first < prev | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | next > last >>

HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

She's in the doorway to the stadium?


male (he/him)
Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
She's in the doorway to the stadium?

Yes, backlit and coming out through one of the main doors


Cairee watched with surprise as her siblings raced out of the circle. But of course they weren't risking their lives to help her friends. They just couldn't pass up any opportunity to smash at things. Fortunately this time their recklessness was helping the other Blackbirds.

She was about to pray to Saiph for help in the battle, when a figure appeared in the door of the arena and all of the creatures stilled. Their reaction was strange. Were they curious? Afraid? Did they know this tall woman?

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Cairee is holding her action - will cast Storm Burst on a creature within 30 feet of her that looks like it's going to attack anyone outside the circle.


male (he/him)

Cairee couldn't see much of the woman from 240' away and silhouetted by the interior light of Gossamer House but the figure's step was calm and confident. Something about it's calmness in this moment made the figure seem threatening.


male (he/him)

OK, i'll tweek that a little

All of the fey had stopped in their tracks. They didn't seem afraid to Cairee. It was more like they were trying to gauge this new presence.[/ooc]


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra watched the formation of the red bloom with morbid fascination. It looked like a human face was forming and then she wondered with dread, will it be my face?

She willed her claws to grow so that she could help free herself completely from the vines that snaked around her limbs. Dounia had done the majority of the work but Zahra felt like she was still snagged on something. All she wanted to do was to retreat.

claw attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
dice: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
claw attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
dice: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Just as she felt that she was free from the vine, a blinding light appeared before her and she squinted at the new presence. Were they here to help or hinder?


male (he/him)

Dounia worked with Zahra to tear the sorceress clear of the vines. The torn end of the plant withered and retreated. Dounia could hear the footfalls of the giantess coming closer. Zahra could see the great woman, her body like the image of a fertility statue, curvaceous with a healthy roundness. Tymythy, freed of his vines by Arnie, came close to the two teammates.

The strange elves in silver armour lined up on their steeds of smoke like they were forming a charging line. The strange shadow cats fanned out. The goblins and tree ogres crawled forward cautiously, continuing to their purpose of reaching the humans outside the circle. They were like cats pushing objects off a table waiting to be yelled at.

One goblin was outfront and getting too close for Cairee's liking. She focused her power ...

but Saiph was somehow impossibly distant. The cleric could feel the presence of her protector but it was like listening to someone call out from behind a wall.

Cairee - please make a concentration check 1d20+lvl+wis mod vs a DC21. If you fail then your spell doesn't work in the fey realm. If you succeed then please roll a D100 to see how your spell works it this part of Faerie.


1d20 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 + 3 = 20 AAAHHHAHAHAHA SO CLOSE! Wait, should she have also done this for Resistance she cast on herself?


male (he/him)

Just lost a very complicated post. Will get back to it when I have time


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Tymyhty does not want to be the first to actually draw blood with a weapon here (the thorny vines might not count on some bizarre technicality) so I think he’ll be mostly getting close to the others and readying an action to strike if struck (him or one of the others)…

Just how far are we from the stone circle and of the portal home? And were most of the folks still inside the circle? I gathered that Tymyhty and Zahra got stuck some 40’ out, Dounia was further along but came back to us, and the big girl was 240’ further out but now closing upon us. And Mar and Arnie were with us out in the open?

Tymyhty nodded his head to Arnie as his shield slam withered the root clinging to his leg and rose to his feet, just in time to watch the giantess blocking them from the portal leading to questionable safety of the festival grounds. He noted the figures bestial and beautiful edging closer, sensing hunger and anticipation in their gazes, and saw another, solitary figure approaching them from the light of the distant portal… and not the kind of figure he felt he would have missed even among the other guests, for her statue was that of a giant. Not one to lose herself in the masses.

”I don’t think it’d be a good idea to spread out,” Tymyhty murmured, eyes darting from one approaching figure to another, with a quick glance spared for Dounia’s benefit. ”I don’t know if it’s better to rush for the portal or await rescue inside the circle, but being picked off in ones and twos can’t be the solution. So I suggest we return to the others. Slowly. Do not run, for I think these creatures would just love to chase down prey.”


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17
GM Corey Homebrew wrote:
Just lost a very complicated post. Will get back to it when I have time

my sympathies. I hate it when that happens.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
male (he/him)

First, Cairee has a +2 on concentration rolls because of a trait. So her spell succeeds. I made some 'wild magic' rolls that were lost but here is the result.

Cairee tried to call out to Saiph but it was like the gods didn't have purchase here and something else, something capricious, answered. Where the concentrated storm front was meant to form over the nearing goblin's head a brief sparkle generated the form of a giant rat.

The rat fell on the goblin's head and they both fell prone on the ground as the goblin tried to pull the creature off its' face. Other goblin's pointed and laughed while yet more looked up checking to see if it would continue to rain rodentia.

GMs rolls:

fey knight will save vs DC24: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
goblin's will save vs DC24: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
ogre's will save vs DC24: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
shadow panther's will save vs DC24: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
giantess' dance check: 1d20 + 34 ⇒ (12) + 34 = 46

The strange giantess took two steps forward from the gate and then began to dance. She interlaced her fingers, crouched low exposing her right calf forward, and bent backward. As this happened she disappeared only to instantly reappear between the onslaught of fey and the attendants outside of the circle. She was only five feet away from Tymythy.

Everyone could hear Hallwyn's voice but he was nowhere to be seen.
: It is ok. I will keep them busy. Please head back inside. :


male (he/him)

Tandyraman touched Cairee's shoulder and gestured towards the path. He stepped outside of the circle and made an arc around where the great woman danced trying not to look at her. Several of the attendants created a line behind them.

She danced and contorted into impossible shapes without unlacing her fingers. At times she was on the point of her toes. At times the ball or the flat of her bare feet were planted in the earth just off the path. Her body wove through the hoop of her arms and then she twisted them to look like a figure eight. Though she radiated power and ability, her face was filled with the look of absolute joy.

sense motive DC17:
The dance appears to be telling a story but what that story is is impossible to say

kn arcana DC20:
The giantess seems to have knowledge of bardic arcane abilities - the great woman is a bard

performance dance or profession dancer DC15:
There are animal imitations in the dance - starting with a wounded bird and slowly turning more predatory - a guarding heron - a viper - a great lizard - a hunting cat

The giant was easy to see without the backlight. Her skin was deep blue like the heart of the ocean. She had piercings about her face that were chained together with fine gold chains. She wore silk clothes that were no more than spider-webs.

And she was captivating. None of the fey creatures approaching seemed to be able to look away or move. You all got the feeling that, if she focused her attention on you, you would not be able to look away.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 Whee... any extra goodies for a nat 20?
Perform (Dance): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Tymythy’s moment of wide-eyed amazement at the conjuration of a gigantic rat of all things, but he had no time to gawk at that, as the strange giantess in her flowing veils stepped out of shadows within reach of Tymythy’s extended arm. The sudden weight of her immediate presence almost unmanned the young hunter. Their host’s sourceless voice calling for calm fell far short of stilling his racing heart… but then, the tall woman began to dance.

And how did she dance! Tymythy found himself as captivated by her supple movements as did the Fey surrounding them, and it took a firm tug on his own arm to get him moving after the others. There was joy in the giantess’ dance. Joy and a story in the telling, although he struggled to make sense of the display. Her movements evoked the beasts of the wild – from a wounded bird to a heron striding through the reeds, circling her nest to ward away predators. From flickering togue of a snake to the heavily armored form of a monitor lizard to the languid grace of a hunting cat stretching after a day sleeping under the sun.

There was mastery in her motions, that tugged the very soul of the young hunter. Inspiring… and reminding him of the limits of a mortal’s skills.


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

SM: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Dounia nearly jumped out of her skin when the glowing blue giantess suddenly appeared practically beside her. Yelping, she leapt back, barely staying on the path. There was something eerie, unearthly about the giant dancer, and Dounia quickly turned her back on her.

"Yes," she breathed with relief, as she heard Hallwyn's instructions. She focused on Tandyraman, and followed him back to the stadium as quickly as she could.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

sense motive,DC17: 1d20 ⇒ 12
k.arcana,DC20: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Zahra clapped a hand over her mouth, partly to stifle a gasp and partly to swallow a giggle, when the rat fell out of the sky and fell on the goblin's head.

The sorceress was enthralled by the giantess once she started to move. There was something magical about the way she moved and acted. It reminded Zahra of bard's she had seen in the city.

The sound of Hallwyn's voice brought Zahra back to the present. She sheepishly hung her head, wondering what kind of trouble they would be in for breaking the circle when told not to. Sadly they had shown their immaturity by bolting when frightened. Now they had to be rescued by their host and waste his time and resources. This was not the way to make a good impression.

However, she was extremely grateful and she would make sure to express her gratitude once they were back in the stadium. Keeping her eyes on the door, she steadily made her way towards it as instructed.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Step by step the tempo of the giantess’ dance changed, and Tymyhty found he could hardly drag his eyes off her, even though Zahra kept tugging at his arm to make him stumble along with the others. He felt he was close to an understanding… the dance was progressing as though through the nature’s food chain – from prey to predator, to apex hunters. There was a… charge building in the air, as if the dance was just one aspect of some magical ritual. The dance was approaching a turning point, circling step by step closer to violence. She was lulling her prey in anticipation of an attack, giving Tymyhty and the others time to flee – but only so much time, as her dance had to continue and there would be a limit how far even a master of her art like her could take it before the power bound in art had to find a physical release.

”Umm… we might want to pick our pace,” he murmured, fighting to tear his attention from the performance to voice a quiet warning.


male (he/him)

perception DC15:
Guthan has stayed inside the protective circle to attend his companion's pyre


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

Dounia glanced back at Tymythy's words, nodding in agreement. She could hardly move faster without stepping on Tandyraman's heels.

As she looked behind her, she saw the rest of the mourners following, with the exception of Guthan. He seemed to be staying to attend the pyre. I hope he knows what he's doing.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Dragging his eyes from the giantess’ dance when he noticed Douni a turning to stare at something back in the stone circle, Tymyhty too noticed one stocky figure standing by the pyre, resolute as if to challenge any of the Fey daring to step inside. They had mentioned the dwarves would linger behind while the other guests were to return, to wait for the flames to die down and gather their fallen kin’s ashes for a proper burial back in their homeland. And Guthan, it seemed, was taking this charge as seriously as one could.

Well, it was the right of every warrior to decide when they stood, and Tymyhty believed Guthan would not be persuaded to abandon his chosen task, and doubted the dwarf would take kindly to anyone trying to force him to do so.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

perception,DC15: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Zahra's concern about having failed to follow instructions and thereby disturbed their host's festivities, kept her eyes focused on the door back to the stadium.

Had she seen that Guthan was staying behind at the pyre, at personal risk to themselves, she may have been crushed by guilt. But as it was, she was completely oblivious to anything other than her own predicament and the trouble it had caused. No one wanted to be inconvenienced when they were hosting a party. Would she have any chance of winning Hallwyn's favour now?


Corey wrote:
Cairee tried to call out to Saiph but it was like the gods didn't have purchase here and something else, something capricious, answered. Where the concentrated storm front was meant to form over the nearing goblin's head a brief sparkle generated the form of a giant rat.

Cairee gasped as a giant rat popped into existence and fell on the goblin's head. What presence had intercepted her prayer to Saiph? How dare it send an animal to torture instead? The Cleric called out to the rat. "I'm sorry, friend! Come to me, you'll be safe in the circle!"

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Know. Arana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Tandyraman touched Cairee's shoulder, and she followed him out of the circle and onto the path. She kept the rat close, feeling honour-bound to protect it during it's too-short life. "What's your name, friend? Where did you come from?"

The giantess danced. Cairee sensed that her movements were telling a some sort of story. Whatever it was, it had the fey creatures enthralled. Something told her not to watch too closely and she averted her eyes, focusing on the heels of those in front of her. She noticed her friends looking around, but couldn't tell what had caught their attention.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


2 people marked this as a favorite.
male (he/him)

GMs rolls:

Cairee's diplomacy w the rat: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
fey knight will save vs DC24: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
goblin's will save vs DC24: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
ogre's will save vs DC24: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
shadow panther's will save vs DC24: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
knight - fey battle: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 4 = 22
Giantess - fey battle: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 7 + 4 = 30

Cairee couldn't fathom the strangeness of the rat's appearance. There was no sense to it and that in itself was an answer. Something was toying with her - something powerful.

The rat, which was the size of a small dog and nearly that of the goblin, looked up at her and bolted for her.

Cairee Featherfriend wrote:
... feeling honour-bound to protect it during it's too-short life. "What's your name, friend? Where did you come from?"

To Cairee the rat had a voice like a dwarf with a horrible cold.

if you can speak rat:

"I want to be called nightooth. Come from? I don't understand. This is all there is."

The rat, Nightooth, followed side-by-side with Cairee as everyone bolted to the door. Most were fifty feet from the open threshold when they could hear one of the fey knights summon enough presence to speak.

"Arrogance! You think you can face us in our place of power! Go back to the ether, Jenn-I! Give us these poultries to entertain ourselves with."

The giantess, "It is my entertainment that I am concerned with and I may be in your place of power but you are standing in mine."

(Do you risk a glance back?):

There is a river where none was before. It created a motte on this side of Gossamer House. It bends to wrap around the outside of protective stone circle. The attackers were either on the river's other side or standing in it more than ankle deep.

The knight, "But the water is frozen and the river is still."

(Do you risk a glance back?):

The river freezes over locking some of the fey inside but becoming crossable by others.

Giantess still dancing and loping forward in the manner of a wolf, "But the ice is thin and the river is deep."

(Do you risk a glance back?):

The ice cracks and those in it fall in to their chest. Shadowy cats and goblins begin thrashing backward and out of the river. They seemed to be trying to get back to the relative safety of the woods.


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Guthan seemed resolute and patient, and Dounia's respect for him grew. He doesn't even seem bothered by all of this!

She turned to face forward (this was no time to trip and fall), her eyes falling on the dancing blue giantess again. The desert girl found herself doing a double-take. The woman....she looked...familiar? Dounia nearly stopped moving as she stared. She looked like... Hallwyn! If she was smaller, and less blue, that was. Could she be a relative? A cousin, or a sister?

Her attention divided, she couldn't help looking back again as the giantess, Jenn-I, spoke again. This time Dounia saw a river between them and their attackers. Gasping, she said, "Look! She made a river!"

Entranced, she watched the magical battle play out. The river froze, and Dounia gasped again as some of the fey began running and sliding across the ice. But then the giantess's words made the ice crack. Dounia couldn't resist a shout of triumph as some of the fey dropped into the clearly icy waters, and others began to run away. "Yeah!" she shouted, shaking a fist at them, "you better run!"


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Very cool scene! Too bad Word of Creation truenamers aren’t a thing in PF, this makes me want to do a build based on those old rules ;^)

Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
Her attention divided, she couldn't help looking back again as the giantess, Jenn-I, spoke again. This time Dounia saw a river between them and their attackers. Gasping, she said, "Look! She made a river!"

Tymythy glanced back on reflex and blanched, seeing there was, indeed, a fast-flowing if shallow river separating the Fey from the fleeing party. A river that was covered in frost and began freezing as he watched, at the command of the Fey knight’s words.

He snapped his head back, focused his gaze on the portal and vowed not to look back again. This was old magic, beyond the ken of mere mortals, magic that twisted the very world by one’s very will and words. Wondrous and terrifying, something the hunter did not want to get mixed in.


Cairee stayed close to her friends as they hurried to the arena, Nightooth at her side. She resisted the urge to look back. The magics here were warped and strange, and she worried they would lead her even further from Saiph.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra's steps were in time to the chant in her head, Don't look back, don't look back, don't look back...

However, Dounia's exclamation caused her to involuntarily turn to glance back. She couldn't help but think that in the future she would have to work on her impulse control. Seeing such powerful magic at work with the sudden appearance of an entire river made the sorceress gasp in wonder.

Her mind flicked back to the salvation story that she had heard earlier that night about Silimiel, her ancestor, and knew that this story would stick with her for her lifetime like that one had with him. There was something very impactful knowing that someone so powerful deemed you worthy enough to save by exerting their power.

Zahra forced herself to tear her eyes away from the mesmerizing scene behind her and hustled towards the stadium door. She would not be responsible for Hallwyn and his friends to exert more power on her behalf than necessary.


male (he/him)

All of the guests scrambled into the open gate of Gossamer House. Once inside you could all see a small army of porters and servants lining the walls and creating a gauntlet for the guests to pass between. Some of the porters had quarterstaves of brass rod. Others had elaborate pouches filled with strange ingredients. If any fey should get past the giantess they would have much more to deal with.

-

The gates were still open and those who dared could see the waters of the river draw back left and right. The fey knight relaxed his body, ”The mesmerism is waining. The waters are receding. Move forward. Rundelblatt! Carbuncle! Hold open the gate. We shall unleash our power upon the Jenn-I!"

The giantess laughed a mirthful giggle as she stood to her full height. Her arms were raised over her head as she wove them together like fluid ribbons.

”Unleash your power?! I know your lands better than your ancestors. I can push back the oceans and make arrows from the rain. Tell me, should I freeze or boil you? Should I make you hero with a gesture or fool with a verse. Shall I be a giant of stone …

At her words the blue woman grew even taller by about half the height of a man. Her skin grew hard and stoney grey.

”a tornado …

She spun in a pirouette and her stone skin slackened and became as water so that an hourglass storm spout formed in her place.

A moment later it slowed and shrunk and hardened to steel and flesh. Then another elven knight stood in place of the spout.

”Shall I take the face of your father?!

The knight dissolved to take the form of the blue woman again but now less than six feet tall.

”I walk between universes and am both here and not here! ..."

Some of the elven knights draw bows. They fire and the arrows pass through the woman's body. She disappears only to reappear a few feet to the left.

"I writhe and you must watch my dust! I am the granter of wishes and have met the gods beneath the sea!
YOUR POWER IS LITTLE WHILE I WILL BE FOUND DANCING AT THE END OF TIME AND SPACE AS I AM SUCKED INTO THE COLLAPSE OF ALL THINGS!!!

-

Tandyraman commanded the gates be closed. As they did, the last onlookers could see river-waters rise up into eight nine-foot waves, four to the right and four to the left. Every lapping froth that the waves crests was in the shape of a fist as the waves advanced on the fey. From a distance Guthan looked pale as a ghost but still safe inside the circle.

The doors closed.

Tandyraman, "Very sorry for the inconvenience. Please help yourself to more drink. Have a good rest. Tomorrow we perform the second challenge."

Booming sounds came from outside.

You started the day with a manticore battle and an 8hr hike. I think it would be appropriate for everyone to make a DC10 con check. Failure means you're fatigued. Without magical aid you must rest 8hrs to recover. It is now the night song of 11 (11pm). The next challenge is at the song of 10.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Con check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 Yeah, makes sense. Time to hit the hay

As the portal closed behind them, cutting off the horrible display of elder powers, Tymythy found himself leaning against a nearby pillar, gasping for breath, more exhausted both mentally and physically. That had been all too close for comfort, and his heart bled for Guthan, standing vigil in the circle of stones – he didn’t know if the power invested them would have protected him from all the fell powers displayed by the giantess and the Fey lordling, but he doubted it. Surely such forces would have levelled the lands in a wide swathe.

He murmured a heartfelt prayer of gratitude to the spirits, and another for the hope of Guthan’s miraculous survival, and shook his head at the herald’s brushing away of the matter with an offer of another round of drinks. ”No more drinks for me,” he murmured. ”I need to rest my body and settle my mind – we face death again tomorrow.”

He wondered if he should seek out the surviving dwarves to offer his condolences for another loss assumed, but he didn’t have in him the words to make justice to the tragedy. He did wonder, however, how their host would take the unexpected turn. He had promised them his protection, but now it had been challenged, and one of his guests was lost in the world of the Fey. Would he offer the dwarves weregild for their loss, or offer his neck to be kissed by the axes of the survivors?

No, if he did do something, it would likely be what Tymyhty couldn’t anticipate. Far too often, he had been reminded these were not his lands, nor the people here follow the customs of his clan. He would hear soon enough, he presumed, what would follow. And perhaps, just perhaps, the vast power commanded by their host could somehow have spared Guthan of his sorry fate.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Con,DC10: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Zahra gratefully stepped back into Gossamer House and immediately she felt safe, safe enough to turn and watch the confrontation continue. Watching the giantess not only hold her own but exert such immense power to help them, inspired the sorceress. Using magic in such a way to help people fuelled the spark that tales of Silimiel had already lit inside her.

She knew that the day had been long and full of challenges but there was something about that last encounter that seemed to energize her rather than drain her. She knew that they had another demanding day tomorrow but she wasn't sure that she'd be able to sleep.

She observed the armed porters and wondered if maybe she should stay to help in case something broke through. Although after what she'd seen of Jenn-I, she doubted that would happen.

Her focus had been on Jenn-I as the door had been closed. If she had caught a glimpse of Guthan, his pale face may have haunted her dreams but as it was her thoughts were preoccupied with the one that had made their escape possible.

When Tymythy expressed his intent to retire for the night, Zahra looked at Dounia and Cairee to see if they were thinking the same thing or if they wanted to stay up and talk to other guests. The young woman figured that resting would be the responsible thing to do but she wasn't sure she'd be able to sleep after all the excitement.


Con check: 1d20 ⇒ 20 Just my luck. In our real-life game on Sunday I rolled 6 natural 1s during battle :)

As she crossed into the arena, Cairee clutched at her friends, making sure they had all made it inside, and were all indeed real. They were all nearby and mostly okay, though Tymythy looked ready to collapse. As the gates closed she caught a glimpse of Guthan, seemingly safe in the circle for now.

The Cleric clutched at her winged pendant and prayed to Saiph, desperate to see if her connection to her goddess was restored. She chose a simple spell to cast on herself in case it went wrong again. She casts Guidance on herself. Assuming it works as normal - She felt the familiar glow of Saiph pass through her, warming her from the inside out. She felt energized and protected and totally loved. Wanting to pass the absolute comfort of Saiph on, Cairee continued to murmur a prayer while turning her palms out towards her friends.

She casts Channel Energy on everyone around her, even if that includes Arnie and Mar.
Channel Energy: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3

Then she approached Tandyraman. "Will Guthan be all right? Is there anything I can do to help him, or help protect the gate?"


male (he/him)

When Cairee called out to Saiph it felt different, Saiph seemed to be reaching out like a parent looking for a child. She was waiting and answered Cairee's prayers immediately.

And everyone within thirty feet of her felt it too. There was warmth and love and healing. (everyone gets 3hp back)

Cairee Featherfriend wrote:
Then she approached Tandyraman. "Will Guthan be all right? Is there anything I can do to help him, or help protect the gate?"

Tandyraman, "Please don't concern yourselves. Hallwyn would like you to relax. The guard here waiting are a formality. I should think Guthan Levargarda will be a bit shaken being so close to the storm but he is safe. Our host has everything in hand."

"Now, go. Take your rest. Tomorrow will be more difficult than today. I don't think your next task will take anywhere nearly as long but the duties of the day never seem to end." Tandyraman's smile was kind but he flinched a bit with another great crash from outside.

-

Everyone seemed to be following Tymythy's example. They slowly wandered down the hall, through the foyer of statues, and into the halls leading to rooms. Some of the team members and guests appeared to be coupling up and asked for bottles to be sent to their rooms.

peception DC17:
One of the couples was Sir Pellius Courtland of Perdition's Cavaliersand a female companion dressed in a long cloak. One of her shoes were visible and it was clearly the footwear of an attendant of Princess Alissetta D'Angoument.

The mood was somber. Everyone seemed warn out by the day, guest and competitor alike. Only a few were going back out into the arena to mingle a little more.


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia was mesermized by the giantess's display of power. She watched with awe and delight and terror, her feet stopping of their own accord. She was barely aware of Cairee grabbing her arm and dragging her along, unresisting. It wasn't until the gates closed, cutting off her view, that she realized they were inside again. "No!" she cried out involuntarily, stepping forward and putting a hand on the gate. It took a moment for her to come back to herself, to shake her head and look around.

To Tandyraman, she asked in a breathless whisper, "Who is she? Is she related to Hullwyn? Are they gods?"

con check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Dounia staggered and nearly fell sideways into Tymythy. She felt as if she'd had the stuffing knocked out of her. Tandryraman's mention of tomorrow's task startled her - she'd completely forgotten why they were here.

"Bed. I need bed," she said. Plodding along with the others, her head down, she noticed the shoes of some of the people heading off to their rooms - many in seemingly new couples. The person going with Sir Pellius worked for the Princess, but Dounia was too exhausted to work through the implications of that.

Back in the room, she was surprised by the smell of the dew on the desert at night. Right, the candle, she remembered. It brought sudden and unexpected tears to her eyes. "Are the candles magic," she asked Zahra, realizing that the others smelled different, one for each of them, "or are they freakishly well-researched on us?"

Dounia is ready for bed! And might start worshipping Jenn-I!


male (he/him)
Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
To Tandyraman, she asked in a breathless whisper, "Who is she? Is she related to Hullwyn? Are they gods?"

Tandyraman raised an eyebrow and then smiled an impressed kind of grin, "A god? Some believe he is but they misinterpret his power. He is jinn, or jinn-I, and a young one of their people. He prefers his chosen form over his given form and he wont like having to get out of his party clothes to face these miscreants. I do feel a little sorry for those fey. Pardon me. I speak out of turn."


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia's breath leaks out of her in a long, slow whistle. "A djinn!" she exclaims softly. The books she and Cyra had read together often spoke of the djinn, the powerful, god-like beings that were as likely to destory a city as save a pauper. What she had just seen made the stories seem like understatements. "Wow. Thanks for telling me. I won't tell anybody."

Dounia wrote:
Back in the room, she was surprised by the smell of the dew on the desert at night. Right, the candle, she remembered. It brought sudden and unexpected tears to her eyes. "Are the candles magic," she asked Zahra, realizing that the others smelled different, one for each of them, "or are they freakishly well-researched on us?"

Or can djinn read minds? Do they just completely know us, inside and out? Dounia contemplated the unknowable mind of their host as she fell asleep, and she dreamed impossible dreams.


male (he/him)

Cairee crit'ed her con save so she's going to get +1 on her initiative next day; also, everyone please decide on whether or not you dream and describe it. This is not a leveling-up dream. You can choose how close to the next task you wake. Also, you heal naturally and each gain another 3hps, if you need it after Cairee's healing.

Each of the Blackbirds went back to their individual rooms which were small, a little sparse, but comfortable.

And they slept.

The following day, each in their time rose and found a light breakfast of fresh grapefruit, grapes, dates, and coarse tasted bread with creamy butter waiting in the suite's common room. There was also pear juice with cucumber, cold fresh water, and strong coffee.

-

The arena, stands and tents were a thrum of murmurs and speculation. Some of the attendants were already drinking juice with spirits. The glasses were decorated with pinneapple and orange slice adornments and ornate folded paper.

People leave you alone unless you seek them out. With the exception of Premuroso and Yoy'ya, who look for you and stay at your sides (if you don't avoid them)


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

The excitement of the memorial service in the fey realm had wound Zahra up rather than exhausted her like it seemed to have done to others. However, she followed the others back to their room. Before retiring for the night, Zahra made her way to one of the bathing rooms to soak in hot water and relax.

Once relaxed and sleepier, she made her way to bed. When she awoke the next morning, she had vivid images of Silimiel and Jenn-I in her mind and a warm sense of helping others but every time she tried to focus on specifics of what she had dreamt, the details flittered on the edge of her consciousness like butterflies she couldn't grasp.

She took a few moments to inspect her belongings to see if they required magical cleaning before getting dressed. She knew that she would need to recast mage armour that morning but would do so closer to their challenge. Her stomach rumbled demanding attention and so she left her room in search of breakfast.

She was grateful that she didn't have to go far to find food. The provided breakfast was light but this was welcomed since she didn't want to feel all weighed down for the challenge. She munched on fruit while she slathered some of the bread with butter. She also poured herself strong coffee and then waited for the others to emerge.

When it was finally time to make their way to the arena, she wasn't surprised at all to see Prem and Yoy'ya waiting for them. "Good morning, Prem and Yoy'ya! How are you this morning? Did you sleep well?"

Then she leaned in and asked a more challenge related question, "Did you learn anything new for us since last we spoke?"


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Sighing in exhaustion when they finally reached their assigned rooms, Tymythy peeled off his loaned clothes, took the bare minimum of time needed to rub his skin with fresh towels before collapsing on his bed – far too soft to one more accustomed to bedrolls laid on a layer of fir branches or straw mattresses, but he was way beyond complaining. It had been a more eventful day than he could ever have imagined possible… yet they had survived to see its end. He just prayed he’d be equal to the tasks that awaited them come morrow.

Tymythy’s dream

With so many encounters with the Fey and their strange magics, it came as no surprise that Tymyhty’s dreams were full of the dread creatures. At one point he was back in the Fey lands, running from the stone circle towards a portal that kept moving away from him faster than his aching feet could propel him forward, the next he was feasting without care with a host of entities each stranger than the next, stuffing his mouth with treats without a care in the world, obvious to the cruel glint in the eyes of his hosts, hidden behind their wide, friendly smiles.

Morning

Waking from the uneasy dreams with a start, Tymythy yawned widely before forcing his still-tired body into his morning practices – a short bout of stretches, push-ups and sit-ups to get his muscles moving, then spent a moment inspecting the condition of his weapons and armour before dressing and heading off in search of breakfast.

Spotting Zahra at a table, he nodded to the dragon-blooded mystic, went to fetch himself a breakfast of bread and fruits and thin slivers of meats, with a goblet of ice-cold water to wash them down with before joining her.


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia crashed into the soft bed and slept immediately. She dreamed of Cyra, of her sister chastising her for getting involved with one of the djinn. She argued with her sister, explaining how beautiful, how scary, how powerful Hullwyn was, but her sister just shook her head, disappointed, and left her alone.

Dounia woke confused, not remembering where she was. The previous days' events came back to her in a rush, and she bolted upright. Jumping out of bed, she ran into the lounge they shared, only to find the others were all already gone.

Gratefully, Dounia found that the new clothes she asked to borrow were there for her. Harem pants in a sturdy cotton and a fitted, sleeveless top. She wore her leather armour over top this time, and wound long strips of cloth over her palms and up her arms, creating the illusion of tight sleeves. She braided her long hair back and wound it around her head, then pinned her shayla around it, turban style. Daggers and tools were strapped into their places, some hidden, and she finally felt properly ready to face this challenge. Whatever it may be.

She hurried to the stadium, relieved to see there was still plenty of food. She loaded a plate with bread and butter, and lots of fruit, then looked around. Finally she saw Taryth, talking quietly with two of her Sisters.

Walking up to them, Dounia greeted them cheerfully. Then, lowering her voice, she said, "How's Pattallia today?" She sincerely hoped the woman was doing better, and not just because she was afraid of what might happen behind the mirrored door.


male (he/him)
Zahra al Asmar wrote:

When it was finally time to make their way to the arena, she wasn't surprised at all to see Prem and Yoy'ya waiting for them. "Good morning, Prem and Yoy'ya! How are you this morning? Did you sleep well?"

Then she leaned in and asked a more challenge related question, "Did you learn anything new for us since last we spoke?"

Prem looked a little embarrassed and his grey ears took on a slight puce, "I'm afraid not a thing since last night."

Yoy'ya looked a little frustrated, "The last time we spoke was late last night. I tried to learn more but I' afraid I was asleep ..." She pulled back a little, "Well, except that our host didn't sleep last night. He apparently had a meeting with the court of these Fair Lands. Apparently, it was quite delicate and some restitutions were given to Gossamer House after last nights disturbance."

Prem, "Ah, yes, and no one's had any sign of this woman who came to the rescue either."


male (he/him)

The Second Day at Gossamer House

GMs rolls:

Candor's SoH: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
Walking up to them, Dounia greeted them cheerfully. Then, lowering her voice, she said, "How's Pattallia today?" She sincerely hoped the woman was doing better, and not just because she was afraid of what might happen behind the mirrored door.

In the distance, Simone and Pattallia (of the Sisters of the Silken Scroll) were having a conversation amongst themselves.

Dounia only, sense motive DC12:
It looks heated

Their teamates, Taryth, Alliss and Candor were speaking quietly to each other. As Dounia came close, they separated and Taryth met Dounia half-way.

perception DC27:
Candor slipped something in her cloak. It was small and looked to have a silver sheen

Taryth, "She's doing much better after a good sleep and some time to herself. They're just having a strategy session now. How is your team holding up after last night? I hear the Dwarven team member came in a few hours later with an urn. How does one compete against determination like that?"

-

The Second Challenge
When the morning song of ten came the teams were gathered in the middle of the arena. The arena seats were filled with spectators as gamblers argued and money changed hands.

Tandyraman, "You may choose your next door according to your ranking. That means Perdition's Cavaliers will have first choice. Then, and in order, The Sisters of the Silken Scroll, The Steelheart Twins, The Blackbirds, The Warriors of Dun Leummor, The Bonds of Gruumsh, The Hazard Guard, and, finally, The Adherents of Aureolus.

"Perdition's Cavaliers. What is your choice?"

Prince Keone, "Perdition's Cavaliers will face the mirrored door!"

Tandyraman nodded as gamblers cursed and cheered having passed the first bet of the day.

Tandyraman, "Sisters. What door shall you attempt?"

Simone Ghastwith stepped quickly away from her team, "We will try the escutcheoned door!" To that a great murmur cascaded through the arena.

Tandyraman, "Are you certain Sisters???"

Simone, "Yes, we will do what the Adherents failed to accomplish yesterday!"

Tandyraman. "Very good! Steelheart Twins, what will you face today?"

Mar called out without leaving Arnie's side, "We're going to take the door with the iron bands. The one with the etched plate!"

Tandyraman nodded with no sense of surprise.

"Black Birds? What will be your door today? Remember, the mirrored door and the escutcheoned door are already taken, and you have completed the door of iron bands. You may choose from the iron portcullis, the door of brass, or the two doors of ash."

From an easy spot to see in the stands, Prem made hand motions like he was trying to remind The Black Birds about the doors.

sense motive DC15 (as the portcullis gate was mentioned):
Prem makes his hands into catlike claws to telegraph this is the path to the 'other' arena where the team must fight four monsters.

sense motive DC15 (as the brass door was mentioned):
Prem ducks his head several times like he's dodging arrows to indicate this is the hall of traps.

sense motive DC15 (as the double doors were mentioned):
Prem puts his right hand on his chin and his left hand on his right elbow and made a thoughtful expression to indicate this was the door of riddles.


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Breakfast
SM: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15 yep
perc: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 nope

Dounia relaxed a little to see the fifth member of their team up and about. Actually, add feisty to that list. She and Simone seamed to be arguing.

Quote:
Taryth, "She's doing much better after a good sleep and some time to herself. They're just having a strategy session now. How is your team holding up after last night? I hear the Dwarven team member came in a few hours later with an urn. How does one compete against determination like that?"

Dounia nodded, "I'm glad she's better. Yeah, last night was...intense. I can tell you, if one of us dies, I think we'll just wait for any...ceremonies...until we're back home. I hope the dwarves are okay, they all seemed nice."

Seeing that her friends were talking with their patron, she said, "Hey, do you guys have a patron? I didn't even know we needed one, but we got one yesterday."

After Taryth answers, Dounia will say goodbye and go join the others to talk with Prem and Yoy'ya.

The second challenge

SM portcullis: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
SM brass: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
SM ash : 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

Dounia leaned over to the others and said, "Drats, I wanted the mirror door before it gets harder. We should do the portcullis or the brass door, as they've already had 2 teams go through, and are even harder now."


male (he/him)
Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:

Breakfast

Seeing that her friends were talking with their patron, she said, "Hey, do you guys have a patron? I didn't even know we needed one, but we got one yesterday."

Taryth, ”A patron? No, we’re still looking. We’re getting by without one though.” she nodded and let Dounia get back to the others.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17
GM Corey Homebrew wrote:
Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:

Breakfast

Seeing that her friends were talking with their patron, she said, "Hey, do you guys have a patron? I didn't even know we needed one, but we got one yesterday."
Taryth, ”A patron? No, we’re still looking. We’re getting by without one though.” she nodded and let Dounia get back to the others.

Thats interesting because this is what Yoy’ya said awhile back… One last piece of free advice. Whatever you do don't take on Eohzaypend as your guide. He's already made a deal with the Sisters of the Silken Scroll. He'll only pretend to act as your adviser and block your opportunities when it favours them."


male (he/him)

She did not never


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

The Second Day at Gossamer House

Prem&Yoy'ya wrote:

"I'm afraid not a thing since last night."

"The last time we spoke was late last night. I tried to learn more but I' afraid I was asleep ...

Zahra looked abashed, "I'm sorry! You guys have been doing such a wonderful job, I didn't mean to imply that you weren't. Last night was intense and it felt like it took a lot longer than it did. But by the sounds of it, it was a lot longer night for our host if he didn't get any sleep."

The Second Challenge

They had discussed at breakfast what door they would like to choose but there was also a lot of contingencies in place because there were three teams ahead of them that got to choose first. They had to have a first, second, third, and fourth choice.

As Tandyraman listed the available doors, Zahra caught movement out of the corner of her eye and watched Prem intently as he tried to help them with their choice.

SM portcullis,DC15: 1d20 ⇒ 18
SM brass,DC15: 1d20 ⇒ 7
SM ash,DC15: 1d20 ⇒ 7

It took her a bit longer to figure out the catlike claws meant they would have to fight a bunch of monsters. By the time it dawned on her, he had made other hand motions that she had missed. She knew that Tymythy probably would prefer to fight but he would also probably be confident enough to keep that door for later, even if the monsters got scarier.

Dounia wrote:
"Drats, I wanted the mirror door before it gets harder. We should do the portcullis or the brass door, as they've already had 2 teams go through, and are even harder now."

"Brass, then? Even if the monsters get more difficult behind the portcullis door, Tymythy is an awesome fighter, so that could probably wait."

I'm not sure how much help Zahra will be with any of the door choices so she'll be good with any :)


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

[ooc]The Second Day at Gossamer House[/ooc

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

[ooc]The Second Challenge [/ooc

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
Dounia leaned over to the others and said, "Drats, I wanted the mirror door before it gets harder. We should do the portcullis or the brass door, as they've already had 2 teams go through, and are even harder now."

”Brass. The challenges keep getting harder. Riddles won’t end our lives, and I trust our skill with blade and spell, but traps… I’m not familiar with those, barring hunter’s snares, and a trap can spell our doom in a blink of an eye. I’d like to get that one behind us before the price of a single slip grows too large.”


male (he/him)

It seems we have consensus

Tandyraman nodded to The Black Birds, "The Door of Brass."

In turn, the Dwarven Warriors of Dun Luemmor chose the portcullis path and the Orc team, The Bonds of Gruumsh, took the Doors of Ash (as it was the only door left). That left the patchwork team of The Hazard Guard and the scholarly team of The Adherents of Aureolus to wait for someone to finish to take their turn.

From the eastern castle, the dias of the host, Hallwyn stood in view of all to see. He was wearings a single piece lavender jumpsuit with a pale rose cape. In his hands he held a small gong. Tandyraman looked up to his benefactor and as Hallwyn struck the gong and it's soft vibration touched the arena the herald called out.

"Begin"

Perdition's Cavaliers jogged to the mirrored door. The Sisters ran to the escutcheoned door. Arnie shot Cairee a glance and Mar grabbed his hand as both bolted with remarkable speed to the door with the engraved plate.

-

As The Black Birds arrived at the brass door they could see the wall around the door was reinforced with granite where the Twins broke through only yesterday. Likewise the hinges that the dwarven team had drilled out on their run were replaced with one long thick hinge. Neither team had managed to open the door without force.

The door looked like this

Please feel free to make whatever checks you like. You can generalize (i.e. 'I search the entire area to see if I can find anything') but the DC will be lower the more specific you are (i.e. 'I feel with my finger tips at the curtain thread count to see if the weave changes') Creativity shall be rewarded.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra wanted to give Dounia room to work but she still wanted to help if possible. She looked at the door and started to count the circles.

"Each picture in the square has fifteen circles...but that doesn't match the number around the edge of the door. I wonder what the significance is of the darker and lighter circles."

Standing to the side of the door, she reached out and touched one of the darker and one of the lighter circles to feel if there was any difference in feel. She soon realized that she was out of her depth.

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

"I can count the dark circles and remember those numbers. Maybe the numbers are needed somehow to open the door? Is there anything that moves or tilts?"

Her dismal perception roll makes her less than helpful. Hopefully something she's said will trigger another thought for someone else


HP 22/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia felt her heart leap as the gong sounded, and she ran lightly to the door. The icons hadn't changed from last time, so that was good. "The only pictures where the scales are balanced are the ones where the dark dots are equal on both sides. The number of light dots seems not to matter. But there's no actual scale here...."

Check for traps, dummy! Cyra's voice cracks in her head like a whip. Dounia grabs Zahra's hand away, and looks carefully for any sign of danger. Finally, confidant there's nothing, she allows the sorceress to touch the different coloured dots.

perception vs traps: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

She runs her fingers over them, focusing first on the three with the balanced scales. She pulls one of her tools from her braid, and uses its thin blade to run along the etchings, trying to discover if any can be lifted, pushed, pulled or otherwise moved in some way. There has to be a clever way into the door, and she was determined to find it.

disable device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20

Oof. Not stellar

3,101 to 3,150 of 3,627 << first < prev | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.