GM Netherpongo's Emerald Spire (The Automaton Forge) (Inactive)

Game Master Nathan Goodrich

Automaton Forge Maps


1 to 50 of 315 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Automaton Forge Maps

After recovering from your last adventure, you move to descend to the next lower level of the Emerald Spire. The stairs leading down from Yarrix's tomb soon present the group with a shaft that necessitates a climb. The descent is easy for a time, before you come to a section where the rungs of the ladder as well as the walls are all coated in slime.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

The half-elf moves down the stairs quietly, his rune-cloak causing him to blend into his surroundings.

An eye-and-moon holy symbol of an obscure deity hangs around his neck. Thanks to his previous introduction, you know this to be Count Ranalc of the Eldest. "I am Ranalus, Servant of Count Ranalc the Betrayed. May you walk safely in the dark places of the world," he had said when you met up.

Now, he keeps alert for any trouble. You do know that he has the ability to see through doors and walls and has offered to use this gift when needed.


Automaton Forge Maps

I didn't say so in my earlier post, but it will be a Climb check to move down the shaft from your current position. Who wants to go first?

Dark Archive

Male Tiefling Zen Archer lv 11 ac 24 max hp 90, F +11, R +17, W +15

Coreleus would like to secure a hundred feet of knotted rope to the last good not slimed spot and use the rope to climb down saying I will leave the rope here for us to get back out

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

Ranalus will take a look at the slime. "Does anybody know if this is a dangerous mold or other hazard?"
He does not have Knowledge (Dungeoneering).

The cleric does have a Fly spell to use on himself if needed.

The Exchange

| Male N Medium Human Shaman 11 | HP 106/106 Maka 53/53 | AC 21, T 9, FF 21 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +12 R +8 W +23 | Init +10 | Perc +25 | Speed 30ft fly 40ft| Channel Pos. Energy 5/5 Monstrous Insight 7/7 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble

A flying Ulfen man wearing a breastplate and carrying a shield enters.

" My name is Ograk, if you accept the Lady’s blessing upon you, I’ll be watching your fate thread and keeping you from the boneyard today. A bard friend of mine said someone is missing a dog. Assuming the pooch hasn’t gone to meet our Lady, I agreed to help find it. Whats the dog’s name?

The blessing is life link

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

Professor walks in clearly hungover again. "Brown mould." He grumbles, "and it lives in constructs." He pauses for a minute. "There were creatures that could conceal themselves, flying was a must, I would not rule out invisibility, multiple types of energy damage. Does anyone have coffee or questions?"

GM Professor has trap spotter now so that should help keep things moving.

Professor starts taking an assortment of pills, powders and drops as the colour and life starts to return to his body. Clear ears, blooding pills, barbarian chew throughout the conversation.

"Adamantine was useful. There were literally unbreakable traps. Lots of mummies. Align weapon is a good idea. The brain is a little foggy but that is most of it."


Automaton Forge Maps

Now that Professor Kaldosian is feeling more like himself, he can readily tell that the slime in the tunnel below is definitely not brown mold. The temperature in the area would be far colder in its presence, among other things.

Edit: Coreleus make a Perception check.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

Ranalus will save his Fly spell for now, and descend the rope after Coreleus. Knotted rope is DC 5? Ranalus will Take 10 for a 12 if possible.

I know Take 10 on Climb is subject to table variation, so if he can't do it, he will cast Guidance and roll (at a +3, so only fail on a 1 and even then not fall).

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

"Sorry, head's foggy. I had a lot of that brown stuff yesterday. I have this ring if we want to take turns feather falling? Slime often mean oozes so keep an eye out for them they can be surprisingly stealthy for carnivorous jellied desserts."

Dark Archive

Male Tiefling Zen Archer lv 11 ac 24 max hp 90, F +11, R +17, W +15

perc: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (14) + 18 = 32


Automaton Forge Maps

As you descend the rope, you look down and notice...something below you. It's like the ground is moving, but the effect is subtle and easy to miss.

Assuming you point it out to others:

Knowledge Dungeoneering DC 13:
The area at the bottom of the shaft is occupied by a gelatinous cube.

Dark Archive

Male Tiefling Zen Archer lv 11 ac 24 max hp 90, F +11, R +17, W +15

there is something jiggling down there like a bar maid trying to earn a tip Coreleus says and puts in a couple of pitons and ties of a place for him to sit and look at the this from above

The Exchange

| Male N Medium Human Shaman 11 | HP 106/106 Maka 53/53 | AC 21, T 9, FF 21 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +12 R +8 W +23 | Init +10 | Perc +25 | Speed 30ft fly 40ft| Channel Pos. Energy 5/5 Monstrous Insight 7/7 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble

Ograk takes 10 on perception

Deno’thar said the professor was the one to ask, what is that at the bottom?

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

Professor of tells the group what he knows about such a creature.

Dungoneering : 1d20 + 17 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 17 + (4) = 29

"I can feather fall down and try to fight but much of my damage comes from hitting the specific organs of things (crit/percission) so I'm not the best equipped to handle such a creature.""

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

"If it is down there and we are up here, can we not just attack it from range? Bows are probably out unless we use Fly, due to the need to hold on to the rope, but daggers and javelins should work."


Automaton Forge Maps

Professor Kaldosian omitted to mention what creature it is: you're looking at a gelatinous cube. Since it can't get to you (I suppose it could climb but it's slow) and no one fell inside, we don't need to go much into initiative if you guys tell me how you kill it. Ranalus is right, though, in that you do need your hands for climbing. If you decide to use flight to resolve this, make sure that you either make the Fly checks required to hover or that you can auto-pass the DC.

First person to describe how they kill this thing wins I guess.

The Exchange

| Male N Medium Human Shaman 11 | HP 106/106 Maka 53/53 | AC 21, T 9, FF 21 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +12 R +8 W +23 | Init +10 | Perc +25 | Speed 30ft fly 40ft| Channel Pos. Energy 5/5 Monstrous Insight 7/7 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble

Ograk flies around looking for a heavy object, or 10 to drop on the cube. Once he finds sufficent things he uses the magical aid of ant haul to lift them and drop them accordingly.

My fly skill, with overland flight and ACP, is +7. If we're not really 'threatened' by this thing, I can take 10, otherwise I won't be able to automatically make the check

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

Professor will drink a few concoctions (heroism, mutagen), ending with a fly. He can make his hover check and will pepper the poor jelly until it is no more.

"Sorry, that took so long I have not used this bow since I was a boy."


Automaton Forge Maps

I'm not seeing any damage bonuses on your arrow shots. The ooze has 58 hp and a garbage AC, so if it's just 1d8 damage each shot, it would take you an average of 13 arrows to kill the ooze. I'll let you figure out the details.

With a combination of flying and knotted ropes (as well as a fair bit of slipping), you are able to gather at the bottom of the shaft without any real mishaps.

The chamber at the bottom has walls made of opaque green glass. Doors exit the chamber to the south and west.

Cast any pre-buffs you like and choose a direction to explore!

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

That is about what I would have assumed. Like he said he is not well equipped to deal with an ooze but he can. Professor tops off with a barkskin heighten awareness,.

"Let's not doddle. I'm very old and I could die of old age before the drug wear off. Oh and I'm trying this new thing where I don't look for traps I just run forward and trust my instincts."

Professor has trap spotting he will take ten for a 41+ 1d6.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

Ranalus will use Door Sight on both doors, placing his hands against each door for a minute to see what is on the other side.


Automaton Forge Maps

The the south, Ranalus sees a room filled with crates and shelves loaded with supplies. The southern wall is lined with threadbare white towels. A cabinet on the western wall holds scores of green glass teacups, and a metal crate next to it is filled with small bags of faded yellow cloth.

To the west a narrow hall. A door on the south wall opens up near to your position.

Sovereign Court

male Sam 9/Ftr 1 HP 92| AC 26; Touch 15; FF 24| F +12; R +7; W +8 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Speed 20 ft | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Stealth: -6 Samurai 9/Fighter 1

"What room should we check friends?"

Toshiro turns to Ranalus.

"And welcome to our party fellow Pathfinder. I am a warrior from Tian Xia"

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

"Toshiro is an impressive dualist. I have seen few better when taking a challenge on directly. Let's check that room there before going in to the hallway."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

Ranalus relates what he sees.
At the Professor's suggestion, he just says "Sounds reasonable."
7 uses of Door Sight left. You would be surprised at how many scenarios feature no doors at all. But not surprised, I think, at how many have an enemy immediately within reach when you open the door.


Automaton Forge Maps

I once had a party member greataxe crit to negative Con once for opening a door. Never even got to roll initiative. The guy's wife was our GM. He was also under-level and shouldn't have been front-lining, but w/e.

There really isn't much in the south doir, so unless there are objections, we'll declare that direction explored. Which leaves the hallway. Do you want to examine the door just to your west or continue down the hallway?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

For that reason, the Open/Close cantrip is one of the best spells in the game. Opening doors from a distance, especially offset so as to be out of a charge lane, can save your life.

Ranalus uses Door Sight on the door just to the west.

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

"I have this ear horn and very keen senses if you want to save your magic."

Professor offers Ranalus passage past through to the door.


Automaton Forge Maps

Behind the door, Ranalus sees a white marble basin in the corner that appears to serve as a latrine. A mirror and a crystal orb are mounted on the wall across from it.

Edit: that...was desperately uninteresting, so I'll move us along.

Moving further down the hallway, you arrive at a small foyer. Patterns of shadow, reminiscent of ripples on water, pass over the green glass walls. No light casts them--they seem to be illusions. The chamber surrounds a low platform engraved with a massive mystical pattern. A pair of double doors is set into the wall across from the platform. A scene engraved on the doors shows people relaxing in a pool of water.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 20:
The platform on the northern side of the foyer is an anchor point for teleportation magic. It is inactive and damaged. You might be able to fix it with some additional work.

When Ranalus approaches the double doors to see beyond them, the doors suddenly swing open seemingly of their own accord before he can use his ability. Beyond you see a cozy room. The couch by the crackling fire is richly upholstered, and a massive painting hung above the fireplace depicts a wizard battling a dragon. There is a small door to the west, and a large double door to the east. Place settings are laid out at a round table.

The centerpiece of the table is curious. You see a bodiless metal head with crystalline eyes that resemble the heads of automatons elsewhere in the Spire. "Welcome, honored guests," it says in a creaky voice. "We have long awaited your return. Server Two! Guests for tea."

Dark Archive

Male Tiefling Zen Archer lv 11 ac 24 max hp 90, F +11, R +17, W +15

very odd, I wonder if this is something to be trusted? Cordless draws his bow and gets his wand ready in his tail

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

"We could try both methods, Professor. Some dangers might be seen and not heard, and some might be heard and not seen. My senses are rather keen as well."

Ranalus actually has a +29 Perception unbuffed, despite not having it as a class skill. So he's quite good there. But I have the domain ability and at times forget to use it or just don't get the opportunity. So I'll use it when I can. An automaton that is activated when the door is opened might not make any noise in the first place.
---
Ranalus cocks an eyebrow at the automaton head.
"You seem eager for battle, Coreleus. Perhaps you will get your chance, but I don't see any threat here."
He does not draw a weapon, but holds his position and watches the others' reactions.

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

"As you like. But we should check for traps before touching the doors. I made that mistake with an ear horn and was deaf for days. Some traps are proximity-based."

Can't fail the arcana check.

The platform is an anchor point for teleportation magic. It is inactive and damaged. I might be able to fix it with some additional work, but I don't know how long it will take."

Unless I do. Is there a check to figure out where it goes and how long it will take to fix.

"I like tea."

Professor has a potion in his hand.

"If folks want I can walk in first. Us old guys don't have a lot of years anyway."

Dark Archive

Male Tiefling Zen Archer lv 11 ac 24 max hp 90, F +11, R +17, W +15

Coreleus readies an arrow now as well and says bring me a tea with honey if you please he says to the head to see what may happen


Automaton Forge Maps

Although its 'emotions' are difficult to read since it is a head attached to a table, the construct seems distressed by your initial reaction. "Please! There is no need for alarm. You are our guests!"

"But perhaps I should introduce myself. I am the Steward of the Sanctum. I have kept this facility running in anticipation of your return. Although...we did expect you sooner."

A short time later, the door to the west opens and a dilapidated old automaton shuffles in. It has a thin build, one of its eyes has fallen out and parts of its armor plating are missing. It carries a steaming kettle and a tea service, but comes to a stop and stares.

In a buzzing voice, it says, "C-c-could it b-b-be? Have the P-P-Patrons returned?"

Provided no one stops it from doing so, Sever Two serves you cakes and tea.

The Exchange

| Male N Medium Human Shaman 11 | HP 106/106 Maka 53/53 | AC 21, T 9, FF 21 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +12 R +8 W +23 | Init +10 | Perc +25 | Speed 30ft fly 40ft| Channel Pos. Energy 5/5 Monstrous Insight 7/7 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble

Ograk looks over the food.

take 10 for a 25 heal or 32 survival, to see if its edible

if it is edible:
Ograk thanks the server," Now this is a greeting! Last construct I met had a halbard for me, and you have tea and cakes, easily an 100x improvement. Who might you be? "

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

"Steward of the Sanctum what is on this level? What do we patrons usually do after we arrive?"


Automaton Forge Maps

Ograk determines that the food is edible.

To Professor Kaldosian, the Steward answers, "Why, the Patrons rest! They relax! The Sanctum was created solely for their enjoyment. In addition to light refreshment which we are providing to you now--Chef Two has prepared kelip cakes with a candied glaze, and the silvertip tea is particularly invigorating--our oasis offers a variety of relaxing treatments, and if you are injured we have a small supply of restorative salves."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

Ranalus will have some cakes and tea. He appears entirely at ease.

Sovereign Court

male Sam 9/Ftr 1 HP 92| AC 26; Touch 15; FF 24| F +12; R +7; W +8 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Speed 20 ft | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Stealth: -6 Samurai 9/Fighter 1

"Thank you for the tea. What kind of salves are they? Do they work on humans?""


Automaton Forge Maps

"Why yes! Our restorative salves were made for the Patrons. I am certain that you will find our services will meet your exacting requirements. After you are refreshed from your journey, would you like to tour the facilities?"

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

"Yes let's have a tour. Can you give us a tour itinerary?"

Dark Archive

Male Tiefling Zen Archer lv 11 ac 24 max hp 90, F +11, R +17, W +15

certainly a better welcome then before here, onward then! and Coreleus sips tea


Automaton Forge Maps

"In addition to the Tearoom, which is our current location, your tour of the Sactum would include the Kitchens, where we prepare food for the Patrons, the Oasis where the Patrons can relax in our pool and the...Oasis."

Dark Archive

| AC 36 T18 F28| HP 104/104 | CMD:24 | F:+12 R:+17 W:+11 | Init:+9 | Perception: +29 +1d6
Session Resources:
Wands LS:1, HA:6 Clear ears, Blood-boiling pill, barbarian chew
Barkskin, Heroism, Mutagen, Reduce Person

"Is everyone ready for a tour that surely will be safe and fun."

Sovereign Court

male Sam 9/Ftr 1 HP 92| AC 26; Touch 15; FF 24| F +12; R +7; W +8 | CMB +14; CMD 28 | Speed 20 ft | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Stealth: -6 Samurai 9/Fighter 1

"Yes I am ready." Toshiro turns to their host. "Thank you for accommodating us on this tour. The tea was most fine."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf Clr5/Feysworn 6 | AC 22 T 13 FF 23 CMD 22 | HP 80/80 | F+9 R +8 W +15 (+2 vs enchantments, immune to sleep) | Init +7 | Perc +30 | Stealth +12 | Active: None

"Thank you for the tea and cakes. I am ready."
I do like it when we have missions that are more than just wanton destruction.


Automaton Forge Maps

"Server Two, if you would..." The Steward waits while the other automaton sets down their serving tray and takes the Steward's head off the table, holding it so he can still see.

"I regret my state of disrepair, Patrons, but this arrangement should prove sufficient," he says. "Let us begin at the Oasis."

Server two departs through the doors leading to the east. A large pool fills the center of the room, and the steam rising from the warm, perfumed water fills the air with comforting scents. The lighting is low and soft, and the relaxing sound of faint chimes comes through the air. An automaton arranges salves, powders and files at a beautician's station, while another stands next to a curved massage table. Towels, fresh fruit, strange delicacies, and a few books are close at hand, near four lounge chairs.

"Patrons, these units are designated as Massage One and Beauty Two. They are here to see to your needs as you visit the Oasis."

A door on the northeast side of the room stands shut. Given that Server Two arrived with your refreshments from the west of the Tearoom, you would guess that the door does not lead to the Kitchen.

The Exchange

| Male N Medium Human Shaman 11 | HP 106/106 Maka 53/53 | AC 21, T 9, FF 21 | CMB +5 CMD 15 | F +12 R +8 W +23 | Init +10 | Perc +25 | Speed 30ft fly 40ft| Channel Pos. Energy 5/5 Monstrous Insight 7/7 | Active Conditions: Overland Flight, Ant Haul, Life Bubble

Funny names.... We would probably refer to them as Calistrian station one and two

Dark Archive

Male Tiefling Zen Archer lv 11 ac 24 max hp 90, F +11, R +17, W +15

or slave and slave... Coreleus says with a shrug while still keeping a wary eye out

1 to 50 of 315 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Netherpongo's Emerald Spire (The Automaton Forge) Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.