DM Khel's Trailblazers' Bounty (Inactive)

Game Master Khelreddin


1 to 50 of 241 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

Prepare to blaze trails!

Horizon Hunters

Male, CG, Human | HP 23/24 AC: 14| F: +7 R: +4, W: +6 | Perc: +6 (E)
Class Abilities:
  • Rage ◆
  • Default Exploration: Scout

    Dot

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    Dotting as well. Here's my info

    Character Name:Biago
    Player Name: Trevor Burroughs
    Level: 1
    PFS Number: 22759-2001
    Faction: Vigilant Seal


    M Human Fighter 1 [ HP: 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 18 (20 w/ shield) | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Effects: none ]

    This, too, is a dot. <-- right thar.

    Horizon Hunters

    Male NG Human (half-elf) Rgr1 | HP: 1/21 AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +8, W: +4 | Perc: +6 [E] (low-light vision) | Default exploration: Scout | Hero Points: 0/1

    Dottification.

    Vigilant Seal

    CG Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer Detective | HP 12/24 | AC 19 | Class DC 18 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Sling +8 1d6+4, Melee: Short Sword +8 1d6+4 Active conditions: None

    On the trail dot


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    A select group of Pathfinders is summoned to the Grand Lodge, where they are promptly handed tickets to a small sloop waiting on the dock in Absalom Harbor. The sea voyage takes them across the Inner Sea to Cheliax, where the boat continues up the Iseld River as far as the Conerica Straits. There, they transfer to a caravan and, after days more travel, they finally arrive in Elidir, the capital of Isger.

    At this point, the Pathfinders know just a few things. For one, they know they are weary of travel. Also, they know they are to meet their contact, a human woman named Karla Wesver, a fellow Pathfinder from Isger and a member of the Horizon Hunters, at the White Stag Inn, a large and bustling inn on the Conerica River. Elidir is clearly an active hub of commerce, as traders rub shoulders with merchants and river bargemen as furs and many other goods are exchanged. A woman sporting an intricate braid and a well worn travel outfit stands at the door of the White Stag. Upon seeing the party, she waves them over and greets them each with a firm handshake before leading them to a booth in the corner of the taproom.

    “Ah, good. You made it,” she says warmly. ”I’m Karla Wesver. Welcome to Elidir, and welcome to the White Stag. It used to be that we Pathfinders had a bit of a strained relationship with the Chelaxian government. It still isn’t all sunshine and roses, but with the opportunity before us, we can now move about in public without fear of conflict or reprisal.”

    “As you may know, Isger is still a vassal state of Cheliax. The Chelaxians have bled Isger dry for years, but the increased demand for goods like Chelaxian brandy and other luxury items in Molthune and beyond has resulted in Cheliax finally getting off its ass and investing some resources in Isger. Normally these goods go through Druma to reach Molthune, but Druma has been raising import taxes. Cheliax issued an open bounty to explorers the world over: establish a new trail through the Menador Mountains between Isger and Molthune, suitable for pack animals to traverse. So, this presents a rather rare opportunity for us to find a way through the Menador Mountains into Molthune. Calisro Benarry, leader of the Horizon Hunters faction, has a special interest in this bounty. She is hoping you will take to this challenge with gusto. She sent a package ahead for you.”

    Karla pats a large brown paper package on the bench next to her before handing over a letter. As the Pathfinders open the package and find it contains a bottle of potent Urglin gin, Karla continues, “All good then? I’ve arranged for a river barge to take you out to the Menador Mountains and packed some provisions for the journey. Not all of the food you’ll need for the journey, mind—carrying all of that would be too heavy, and likely to attract unwanted attention from the wildlife. You’ll want to forage along the way, if you can. My friend Jasikah Marten will be waiting for you in Canorate. She will help you file your paperwork with the Chelaxian officials, and she’ll also have a warm and comfy bed ready for you.”

    You can make a Society or Mountain Lore check to see what else you might know, or a separate Nature check. Please make your checks and read the appropriate spoilers.

    Society or Mountain Lore, result of 25+:
    The Menador Mountains are home to orcs of the Shattered Fang tribe. Despite a well-earned reputation for ferocity, the Shattered Fang orcs are also known for keeping oaths they have sworn on their ancestors. If one can earn such an oath from a member of the tribe, they can be reliably negotiated with.

    Society or Mountain Lore, result of 15-25:
    The Menador Mountains are home to orcs of the Shattered Fang tribe.

    Society or Mountain Lore, result of 5 or lower:
    The Menador Mountains are home to orcs of the Smiling Tusk tribe. Often misunderstood, orcs of the Smiling Tusk are actually quite friendly and known for keeping pet birds.

    Nature, result of 25+:
    The Menador Mountains carry snow at their peaks year round, but at lower altitudes partially melted snow can become unstable, posing an avalanche risk.

    Nature, result of 15-25:
    Avalanches and cold weather hazards are common, and most routes are effectively one way. I find this “one way” wording really weird – I think it means that a route you take could easily close behind you due to avalanche.

    Nature, result of 5 or lower:
    The Menador Mountains are a fairly low range. Packing lightly is possible for an expedition crossing this range.

    For reference (and because maps are cool), here is a map of the region, with your starting point, Elidir, underlined in yellow and your destination, Canorate, underlined in green. Trade normally takes the flatland route, northeast through Druma before turning west again. Your goal is to find a straighter route over the Menador Mountains between the two cities.


    M Human Fighter 1 [ HP: 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 18 (20 w/ shield) | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Effects: none ]

    Society: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
    Nature: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19

    "Smiling Tusks and Shattered Fangs..." mutters Valeros to himself. "Never thought I'd meet another of either one. And who comes up with their names? No orc I've ever met -- even a 'smiling tusk' -- would call himself a Smiling Tusk. Particularly while dodging avalanches."

    Horizon Hunters

    Male NG Human (half-elf) Rgr1 | HP: 1/21 AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +8, W: +4 | Perc: +6 [E] (low-light vision) | Default exploration: Scout | Hero Points: 0/1

    Society: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3
    Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

    I'll admit I've not seen much of avalanches in the Osiriani sands, the half-elf Ranger says, but I have heard that such trails blazed can close up at the drop of a hat.

    Vigilant Seal

    CG Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer Detective | HP 12/24 | AC 19 | Class DC 18 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Sling +8 1d6+4, Melee: Short Sword +8 1d6+4 Active conditions: None

    Society: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
    Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 But Packet has Dubious Knowledge!

    "I might recall a thing or two about the area, other than it's full of orcs, and some friendly of course."

    He riffles through the supplies from Calisro Benarry, and finds the bottle of gin.

    "Here's a little something I've never tried before," he says with a wink and a nod, taking out the cork.

    He takes a whiff of the gin and falls flat on his butt.

    "Besmara's boots, that's not the gin of a friendly orc."

    Gagging, he quickly stoppers the bottle and puts it back in the pack.

    Horizon Hunters

    Male, CG, Human | HP 23/24 AC: 14| F: +7 R: +4, W: +6 | Perc: +6 (E)
    Class Abilities:
  • Rage ◆
  • Default Exploration: Scout

    Ha! Mountain Lore. I finally have the right Lore for the job. Also maps are very cool (fantasy art and maps are part of what hooked me as a kid.)

    Mountain Lore: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
    Nature: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

    Vercingeterax is a quite appropriately, a mountain of a man. His wild and unkempt flaxen hair cascades down his shoulders, and tangles with his beard. His corded muscles are impressively striated, and ripple with his easy (and not always appropriate) laughter. Across his back is a sword which is positively too massive for most, and would look more at home in an ogre's hand.

    "This sounds like a mission particularly suited to my particular set of skills! Ha!"

    He looks around for either coffee or beer or meed or ice wine or whiskey.... and finally gives up. "The Menador Mountains are home to orcs of the Shattered Fang tribe, and they can be intense. Arm yourselves well. We should also be ready. I've heard that shifting weather can close a trail behind you, leaving you with only the way forward. This is going to be GRAND!" It's obvious that he means that last part earnestly.

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

    A halfling with a noticeable lack of equipment other than a backpack and a crossbow just shrugs. "Sorry, I'm not terribly helpful here. Hopefully we'll find something interesting... but not dangerous"


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Those are some fun intros to start us off, and we actually seem to have a suitable set of characters for a nature adventure!

    Karla wishes you good luck in your mission, and advises you that you should be able to find most things you might want to purchase in Elidir before you set off. ”But do hurry,” she adds, ”as there are surely other parties out there looking to be the first to claim the bounty.”

    You can purchase additional supplies before you set out, just include it in your next post.

    The trip up the branch of the Conerica river is uneventful. The roads alongside the river called the Conerica Straits are well patrolled by Isger’s army, supported with auxiliary troops from Cheliax. Once the river becomes too narrow for the barge to easily traverse, the party disembarks and continues on foot. Following the river is still the easiest way forward, as it has carved a relatively flat swath of land out of the hills.

    After three days of overland travel, just as dusk begins to fall, the Pathfinders spot a campfire a little way ahead. The river flooding during spring snowmelts has kept the terrain relatively free from large growth, and no trees or bushes obscure the view. There are five people visible, busy setting up a small camp for the night and preparing food by the fire.

    Horizon Hunters

    Male, CG, Human | HP 23/24 AC: 14| F: +7 R: +4, W: +6 | Perc: +6 (E)
    Class Abilities:
  • Rage ◆
  • Default Exploration: Scout

    Looking to keep up his scouting job, Rax moves in to try and get a look at the people. Before going he tells the party, "I don't want to assume friend or foe, but I also want to see if we can be sure about who this is before we interact with them."

    Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    "well, they don't look like Chelaxian slavers to me, so they can't be all bad. Let's go over and see who they are. Maybe we can keep each other safe!"

    With that, Biago starts walking towards the camp.

    Vigilant Seal

    CG Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer Detective | HP 12/24 | AC 19 | Class DC 18 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Sling +8 1d6+4, Melee: Short Sword +8 1d6+4 Active conditions: None

    Packet will also attempt to stealthily move closer.

    Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

    Horizon Hunters

    Male NG Human (half-elf) Rgr1 | HP: 1/21 AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +8, W: +4 | Perc: +6 [E] (low-light vision) | Default exploration: Scout | Hero Points: 0/1

    Hampton would prefer to approach cautiously, but is unwilling to let the halfling walk into camp alone, so he joins Biago in the direct approach. Hope you can do the talking, he says quietly.

    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    "Well, as long as they want to talk about theories and all, I'll be fine! I mean, really, what's the worst that can happen?"


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Packet and Rax manage to approach quite sneakily. Biago, Hampton and Valeros walk up more openly, but the group around the campfire still does not notice them until the last moment. There are three young men and two young women in the camp. They wear practical outfits, well suited for the rough terrain, but the outfits and the gear all look very new.

    ”Whoa, who’s here?!” a startled voice calls out, while a pair of figures seated by the fire leap somewhat frantically to their feet. Another figure steps forward, a young man with an unruly mop of red hair. He is dressed in an expensive greatcoat dyed scarlet and wears high-quality hiking gear. ”Hello,” he says, his tone calm in contrast to the startled air of his companions, ”I am Amyas Charthagnion.” He bows flamboyantly as he introduces himself, then asks, ”What brings you to this remote spot?”

    Heraldry Lore, result of 15+:
    You recognize a purple shield covered and surrounded in blades on one of the women’s outfits. It’s the heraldry of House Tilernos, a minor Chelaxian noble house.

    Packet and Rax, let me know when you choose to come out of stealth mode.


    M Human Fighter 1 [ HP: 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 18 (20 w/ shield) | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Effects: none ]

    Valeros grunts. "Bout the only thing't'd bring anyone to this place, I'll wager. I don't expect you all are out here just enjoying the sights, eh?"

    Horizon Hunters

    Male, CG, Human | HP 23/24 AC: 14| F: +7 R: +4, W: +6 | Perc: +6 (E)
    Class Abilities:
  • Rage ◆
  • Default Exploration: Scout

    Rax stays put for the moment, and continues to keep an eye out for any treachery from within this group or without.

    You know what I first thought when I saw Charthagnion, right? It's only a couple letters different, about the same as Vercingeterax!


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    "I am quite an outdoorsman, so am used to the wilds,” he replies mildly to Valeros, while looking over the three party members he can see. ”And you have not given me your name, nor told me why you're here, friend. Though you three look well-prepared for something, I must say. "

    Amyas’ companions have all moved a bit closer, though none have touched weapons or otherwise made any threatening moves. One of them is a scarcely more than a boy, with an eager look in his eye, another a sad-eyed young woman, her cloak held together at the shoulder with a brooch that prominently displays a noble family crest. The other two are a young woman with a taciturn air, and an arrogant-looking young fellow with a well-crafted bow on his shoulder.

    I had the same thought about that name, Rax. We need some Barca brothers up in here!

    Horizon Hunters

    Male NG Human (half-elf) Rgr1 | HP: 1/21 AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +8, W: +4 | Perc: +6 [E] (low-light vision) | Default exploration: Scout | Hero Points: 0/1

    Greetings! Hampton says, in what he hopes is a warm tone. Hampton Candlewood at your service, and my companions Biago and Valeros. We are on a mission from the Pathfinder Society to scout a trade route through the Menador Mountains to Molthune.

    Hampton takes the time he is speaking to check out the other people.
    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    ”Pathfinders? Awesome!” exclaims the youngest of the five. ”I’m Jasper, Jasper Caperinas,” he offers excitedly, ”Several members of my family – in Absalom, not here - owe their lives to the Pathfinder Society! A group of agents came to their defense when the city was besieged by fiends – I’ve always wanted to meet some real Pathfinders, this is great!” He pauses for a quick breath, then says, ”I’m thinking I might try to become a Pathfinder agent one day. I’m already really good at some things, like, uh…swimming! And I’ve got this!” He reaches into a pack at his side and pulls out a book in mint condition, which he opens and shows off, saying, ”See, it’s got different kinds of tracks and footprints so you can identify what or who you might be tracking!”

    On learning why the party is here, the five all visibly relax their guarded demeanor. The young woman with the taciturn look about her rolls her eyes very expressively as Jasper goes on about the Society, but says nothing. The others, who appear to have been quite well-raised, step forward and introduce themselves. The woman with her family crest on her brooch says a bit morosely, ”I am Sarevi, of House Tilernos.” The arrogant youth lifts his chin cockily as he pats his bow, saying, ”And I’m Dacian Julistarc, archer extraordinaire.”

    Amyas, clearly the leader of the group, speaks after the introductions are complete, ”We are here with the same goal as you. As you might have guessed, we are all of noble families of Cheliax, and have come here to make our names by finding the route over the Menador Mountains.”

    Anyone can make Survival, Mountain Lore or Perception checks on the five young people. You can make checks on 1, 2, or all 3 of the listed skills. Hampton has already tried the Perception check.

    Horizon Hunters

    Male, CG, Human | HP 23/24 AC: 14| F: +7 R: +4, W: +6 | Perc: +6 (E)
    Class Abilities:
  • Rage ◆
  • Default Exploration: Scout

    Staying quiet and hidden for the moment, Rax thinks though what he's taking I:

    Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
    Mountain Lore: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
    Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Vercingeterax:
    Studying the equipment and supplies the young nobles have you notice that, while the gear they have is good quality, they haven't brought quite the right things, or enough of them. In short, they are unprepared for the rigors of crossing a mountain range and the challenges that poses.

    Others can still make the checks listed above. If you succeed at a DC 15 Survival check, a DC 12 Mountain Lore check, or a DC 17 Perception check, you can read Rax's spoiler.


    M Human Fighter 1 [ HP: 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 18 (20 w/ shield) | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Effects: none ]

    Survival: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13
    Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

    Vigilant Seal

    CG Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer Detective | HP 12/24 | AC 19 | Class DC 18 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Sling +8 1d6+4, Melee: Short Sword +8 1d6+4 Active conditions: None

    Survival: 1d205 ⇒ 24
    Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

    ”So glad to hear you like Pathfinders.” Packet steps out from his hiding spot. ”Had a feeling from the looks of you that you were Chelish, and nobles to boot. Not to imply that you’ve no idea what you’re doing out here in the mountains, but...” He gestures toward their equipment.

    ”Packet Spoonsine, sleuth, occult investigator, and detective extraordinaire, at your service.”

    He gives the nobles a nod and tip of his hat.

    ”You weren’t cooking supper by any chance were you?”

    Horizon Hunters

    Male, CG, Human | HP 23/24 AC: 14| F: +7 R: +4, W: +6 | Perc: +6 (E)
    Class Abilities:
  • Rage ◆
  • Default Exploration: Scout

    Unprepared? These aren't a threat, they're a liability. Rax comes out of the shadows, "Greetings. Fear not, I'm with the Pathfinders. I couldn't help but notice you're underpacked. I also noticed that you did NOT notice me. Perhaps you should tag along with us and learn."

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    Biago looks at Vercingerterax with some side eye "Presumptive, aren't you?" he mutters.

    He then looks at the group warily. "Hi, I'm Biago. I'm a pathfinder too." He does not seem interested in engaging with them.


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    I’m going to ignore the fact that Packet rolled a 205-sided die and still only got a 24 and just keep us going.

    The young nobles all start in surprise as Packet appears from the low reeds growing on the riverbank, and Jasper is just beginning to say, ”Whoa! You guys are good…” when Vercingeterax’s massive form rises from the reeds as well. ”Okay, Pathfinders are amazing,” he says simply, and even Leonie seems impressed.

    The group gathers to talk further, offering to share some of their rations. Over the course of dinner, it becomes clear that the group is really rather dangerously ill-prepared for the journey ahead of them, and that they would represent quite a liability if they accepted Rax’s invitiation to tag along. However, the Pathfinders still have a great deal to teach the young nobles.

    Entering the land of skill checks now:

    Though Jasper has clearly studied his book of tracks carefully, there is a good deal he does not know about tracking. A knowledgeable Pathfinder could talk to him about how to identify scat of the most common mountain predators. This is a Nature check.

    Sarevi has brought along some climbing gear. Having someone help her evaluate how she’s put it together could be very helpful to her. Athletics check.

    Amyas seems a relatively skilled outdoorsman, though inexperienced – his travels in the “wild” seem to have been largely limited to his family’s large estate. Someone could tell him about the rigors of other terrain types. Survival or Nature check.

    Leonie has some concern about rockfalls, but doesn’t know much about the mountains. Someone could tell her how to spot an unstable rock wall. Mountain Lore or Survival check.

    Dacian is eager to use his bow to hunt wild creatures on their journey, but seems ignorant of some of the dangers of hunting in the wild. He would benefit from some education in this area before he comes to harm. Nature check.

    Horizon Hunters

    Male NG Human (half-elf) Rgr1 | HP: 1/21 AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +8, W: +4 | Perc: +6 [E] (low-light vision) | Default exploration: Scout | Hero Points: 0/1

    Nature (1): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
    Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
    Nature (2): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
    Survival: Assurance for 13
    Nature (3): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

    Hampton will patiently explain whatever shortcomings he finds, and takes care to explain the whys as well as the whats.

    Horizon Hunters

    Male NG Human (half-elf) Rgr1 | HP: 1/21 AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +8, W: +4 | Perc: +6 [E] (low-light vision) | Default exploration: Scout | Hero Points: 0/1

    Well, not with those rolls he won't. LOL

    Horizon Hunters

    Male, CG, Human | HP 23/24 AC: 14| F: +7 R: +4, W: +6 | Perc: +6 (E)
    Class Abilities:
  • Rage ◆
  • Default Exploration: Scout

    [ooc]Still honing in on the best practice for these scenes in PF2.
    If I am groking this, at low levels, it's typically better to do them individually.

    Nature: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
    Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
    Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
    Mountain Lore: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
    Nature: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

    Rax does his best to explain the various skills the group needs to hone. Being naturally strong and gifted, he struggles to explain the ins and outs of mountain climbing. He does much better, however, in explaining the actual signs for unstable rock.


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Hampton takes a look at Sarevi’s climbing gear and observes that some of the knots she has used are the wrong types and can be dangerous in certain situations. ”Wow, I didn’t know that a clove hitch and a Munter hitch were so similar, and that one is designed to hold and the other designed to slide. That could have killed one of my friends. Thank you.”

    Rax’s familiarity with traveling in the mountains comes in very handy as he educates the young folk. He offers a number of useful tips for survival to Amyas, and points out to Leonie that being able to find your way through rough terrain is important, but there are many dangers lurking in this kind of terrain, and it’s vital to know how to spot them. Turning to Dacian, Rax finds the cocky youth surprisingly receptive to learning something new – especially when Rax points out that when hunting dangerous creatures in the wild, the hunter can easily become the hunted.

    Still a nature check to make with Jasper, if anyone wishes to.

    Vigilant Seal

    CG Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer Detective | HP 12/24 | AC 19 | Class DC 18 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Sling +8 1d6+4, Melee: Short Sword +8 1d6+4 Active conditions: None

    Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

    Athletics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

    Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

    Survival 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

    Nature 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    nature check 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
    nature check 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

    Biago sighs. "I seem to be of little use to the Society" he grumbles. "Why do I keep finding myself outdoors?


    M Human Fighter 1 [ HP: 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 18 (20 w/ shield) | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Effects: none ]

    Nature for Jasper: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6

    Valeros attempts to explain to the young man the intricacies of flavor which can be imbued into alcohol by various botanicals.

    Can I have a 205-sided die too?


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    No need for another 205-sided die, you only needed to succeed at 3 of the 5 checks. I just gave a bit more time in case someone else managed to further impress the Pathfinder-wannabe.

    With the knowledge that the party has imparted to the young Chelaxian adventurers comes a realization - the five young nobles realize that they are out of their depth, even in danger, and should go home. Given their inappropriate gear and meager knowledge, there is little they can offer the Pathfinders in thanks for their help, but they do gift the party with the research they have so far: purchased maps and charts that, though incomplete, cover much of the territory and indicate likely passes for a sustainable route. ”Thank you,” Amyas says, ”for teaching us a useful lesson about when to hold ‘em and when to fold ‘em. I speak for all of us when I say the Pathfinder Society has made a good impression this day.”

    Slightly meta info if you want it:
    You’ll be earning Discovery Points throughout this scenario, towards successful completion of the mission. Succeeding the way you did with the Chelaxians earns you your first Discovery Points!

    The following morning, the young folk head back toward Elidir, and the Pathfinders continue toward the mountains. After passing through the foothills, the party arrives at the foot of the mountains. The lower reaches are covered in dense pine forest and traversing the steep terrain becomes increasingly difficult. Aside from this, the journey is unremarkable until they come across a swift-flowing mountain stream, where the dense forest opens up to a gently sloping clearing, cut across by the stream’s tumbling waters.

    Though the stream looks challenging to cross, the setting is quite idyllic, until the quiet is broken by a flock of ravens – a veritable unkindness – perched in a nearby tree, squawking loudly and swarming aggressively!

    Initiative Rolls:

    Biago: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
    Hampton: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
    Packet: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
    Valeros: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
    Vercingeterax: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
    Ravens: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

    Round 1 Initiative
    Hampton
    Valeros
    Biago

    Ravens
    Packet
    Vercingeterax

    Bold are up! Link to map where it says 'Trailblazers' Bounty' by my avatar.

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    By my count it is within 60 ft of me

    Biago gestures and speaks arcane words and casts Daze on the ravens


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Biago’s spell does not slow the swarm at all!

    Biago has now learned that daze only affects a single creature, so is ineffective on a swarm. In PF2 terms, they have a swarm mind.

    Round 1 Initiative
    Hampton
    Valeros

    Biago
    Ravens
    Packet
    Vercingeterax

    Hampton and Valeros are up!


    M Human Fighter 1 [ HP: 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 18 (20 w/ shield) | Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +3 | Perc +5 (expert) | Effects: none ]

    "Hate them birds," Valeros grouses, stepping forward and raising his shield at them.

    Raise shield, move over yonder, and umm... Google-fu is failing me here, can I ready an attack in PF2?


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    You can ready in PF2, but you spend two actions to ready a single action, and you've only got one action left this round. If you'd like to revise your actions (e.g., by not raising your shield, but only moving and readying), that's okay.


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Valeros didn't have time before starting to travel, asked me to revise that last post:

    Valeros moves into position and raises his sword, ready to strike should the ravens come within reach!

    Horizon Hunters

    Male NG Human (half-elf) Rgr1 | HP: 1/21 AC: 18 | F: +7, R: +8, W: +4 | Perc: +6 [E] (low-light vision) | Default exploration: Scout | Hero Points: 0/1

    Should be a Nature check, IIRC, to Recall Knowledge on these?
    Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

    ...not that it matters, evidently.

    Hampton takes the measure of the mass of birds as his prey to hunt, then looses an arrow at them!
    Strike: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
    piercing: 1d6 ⇒ 6


    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Hampton’s arrow is well-aimed, but passes through the center of the swarm without harming a single bird! The swarm swoops down from its tree-top perch and engulfs the Pathfinders, pecking and scratching. As he’s surrounded by ravens, Valeros slashes at the whirling flock! His blade cuts a wide swath through the swarm, scattering limp and bloody birds across the clearing!

    Valeros sword: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 That’s a crit!
    Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 Doubled to 20!

    Swarm Piercing Damage on Valeros, Hampton, Rax: 1d6 ⇒ 6 Please make a DC 17 basic saving throw on this damage. If you fail, you also take 1 persistent bleed damage.

    For anyone else who wants to make a Nature check, please spoiler it so only you and I can look at it (in other words, other players can’t see it). Then check the spoiler below that corresponds to the result you got. If you’ve got Dubious Knowledge and get less than a 15, don’t check any spoilers, I’ll write up a post for you.

    Nature, result of 25+ (or a natural 20):
    You know that swarms such as this are vulnerable to splash and area damage, slightly resistant to slashing attacks, and very resistant to bludgeoning and piercing attacks.

    Nature, result of 15-24:
    You know that swarms such as this are somewhat resistant to slashing attacks, and very resistant to bludgeoning and piercing attacks.

    Nature, result of 5 or less (or a natural 1):
    You know that swarms such as this can often be calmed down by whistling or singing to them.

    Round 1/2 Initiative
    Hampton
    Valeros
    Biago

    Ravens (-17 hp)
    Packet
    Vercingeterax

    Pathfinders are up!

    Vigilant Seal

    Male Male Halfling Wizard 1 HP 13/13 FP 1 Per +4 AC 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +6

    Biago gestures and creates a ball of fire in his hand and tosses it at the swarm
    produce flame: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

    But he misses badly and strides away.

    Vigilant Seal

    CG Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer Detective | HP 12/24 | AC 19 | Class DC 18 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Sling +8 1d6+4, Melee: Short Sword +8 1d6+4 Active conditions: None

    nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

    Packet, understanding swarms may be harmed by slashing weapons, attacks with his short sword!

    Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
    Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    DM | Grave Notes | Escaping the Grave

    Packet does an amazingly convincing impression of Valeros – albeit on a smaller scale – slashing his blade through the swarm and sending broken and bloodied bird bits flying, to crash onto the grass and splash into the rushing stream! The few remaining ravens scatter to the winds, cawing in retreat!

    Wow, you all made short work of that swarm!

    With the ravens defeated, the party turns their attention to investigating the area, as the route to Canorate will have to pass through here. Taking a look at the tree where the ravens came from, they find that someone has disturbed the ravens’ nests, destroying some and stealing the eggs. Furthermore, (as opposed to Nevermore) the ravens have collected several shiny items in their remaining nests. Most are worthless, but some of the shiny stones the birds collected are actually raw gemstones.

    A Survival check can tell you more here. As before, please make your check in a spoiler.

    Survival, result of 25+ (or a natural 20):
    You notice scuff marks on the trees and partial footprints on the ground below, clearly from bipedal, medium-sized humanoids. Whatever creatures made the tracks were very tall and burly, and could very well be orcs.

    Survival, result of 15-24:
    You notice scuff marks on the trees and partial footprints on the ground below, clearly from bipedal, medium-sized humanoids.

    Survival, result of 5 or less (or a natural 1):
    You notice scuff marks on the trees, and the tracks of some kind of animal on the ground below the trees.

    The river warrants investigation, as it would pose an obstacle to any trade caravan passing through. It flows swiftly but is not too broad.

    If you want to cross the river, make an Athletics check, then check the spoiler for the DC. Many other skill checks you can make are below.

    Swimming!:
    Swim DC is 15.

    A stream like this attracts many animals, including predators, but could provide a good resting place for a caravan. It would be very helpful if someone could identify local wildlife. Survival or Nature

    Pack animals are often not picky eaters and might accidentally ingest poisonous plants. Because of ths, it would be useful to identify local plant life to see if the stream would be a good resting spot for a caravan. Nature or Herbalism Lore

    A map of the terrain could come in very handy, if someone were to draw one up. Cartography Lore, Scribing Lore or Crafting

    There appear to be shallower parts of the stream, perhaps someone could find the best place to for a ford. Nature or Hills, Mountain or Scouting Lore. A brave PC could also try to find a fordable spot by trial and error with an Acrobatics check.

    If a good ford location is found, someone strong could move boulders into better position to make fording the stream easier. Athletics

    It might be possible for a bridge to be built across the stream, but it will have to be at a narrow point where the bank is sound. Someone skilled enough might be able to locate a suitable spot. Crafting

    If a good spot for a bridge is identified, the party could try to improvise a bridge. A sturdy improvised bridge would need at least two lengths of rope and a Crafting check.

    Vigilant Seal

    CG Halfling Rogue/Sorcerer Detective | HP 12/24 | AC 19 | Class DC 18 | F: +5, R: +10, W: +7 | Perc: +7 | Speed 25ft | Ranged: Sling +8 1d6+4, Melee: Short Sword +8 1d6+4 Active conditions: None

    Nature check:
    nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

    Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

    Not being particularly strong, but agile and curious, Packet rolls up his pant legs and tries to find a good spot to ford the river.

    He whistles as he does so, explaining, ”Normally, you’ve gotta worry about vipers in cold water like this, but a good whistle keeps ‘em at bay.”

    1 to 50 of 241 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Khel's Trailblazers' Bounty All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.