[PbP Gameday VIII] PFS 9-16 Fallen Family, Broken Name by Lamplighter

Game Master Scott Young

Link to current map - Chitterwood Forest


1 to 50 of 305 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Sun streams through the stained glass windows in the old Cathedral of Aroden, now serving as the Almas Lodge of the Pathfinder Society. Venture-Captain Brackett’s ornate desk is covered in neatly stacked bundles of documents. Venture-Captain Brackett is seated at the desk, his hands tented thoughtfully. Behind the venture-Captain, a young man in the golden epaulets of an Andoran military officer regards you impassively.

“I need you to investigate the Irrica family of central Isger,” Brackett begins without looking up. “The Eagle Knights have finally released their documents from the early days of the Goblinblood Wars, when they fought alongside Hellknights and Druman mercenaries to contain the goblin invasion up north. Lots of interesting information in those files.”

Brackett nods curtly at the young officer. “Captain Bascomb?”

The officer steps forward and comes to attention out of habit before speaking. “The Irricas were supporters of House Thrune during the Chelish Civil War. After the Thrune family came to power, there was some sortt of conflict between the two families. One of the Thrunes who served as liaison to the Irricas did something to offend the family's patriarch. There were rumors of extortion. The Thrune agent apparently disappeared, and rumor was that the Irricas killed him using some sort of supernatural aid. The Irricas were not punished for this apparent transgression; on the contrary, the family received several lucrative contracts from House Thrune, and became quite influential regionally. The family was wiped out in the Goblinblood wars. The last of them fell defending their summer home, which was never reclaimed.” The captain nods smartly to Brackett before stepping back.

Brackett returns the nod and sums up. “So, we have a family in Isger who had some sort of "supernatural aid". This allowed them to kill a member of the Thrune family and not incur Thrune wrath, at a time when they were consolidating power and could not afford to appear weak."

Brackett's eyes narrow. "Something that could scare Abrogail Thrune into inaction is not something we want left lying around in an abandoned house in Isger. Go to the Irricas’ summer estate and try to find out what sort of supernatural aid the Irricas had. Be here and ready to leave before dawn tomorrow.”


Knowledge rolls:

Knowledge (arcana) - Junko Kataribe: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Knowledge (nature) - Junko Kataribe: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Knowledge (arcana) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Knowledge (dungeoneering) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Knowledge (engineering) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Knowledge (geography) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Knowledge (history) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Knowledge (local) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Knowledge (nature) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Knowledge (nobility) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Knowledge (planes) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Knowledge (religion) - Natula Icosagon Thako: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Knowledge (arcana) - Ratesh: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Knowledge (dungeoneering) - Ratesh: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 +2 to navigate underground
Knowledge (planes) - Ratesh: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Knowledge (local) - Shayna Therinor: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Knowledge (arcana) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Knowledge (dungeoneering) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Knowledge (engineering) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Knowledge (geography) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Knowledge (history) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Knowledge (local) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Knowledge (nature) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Knowledge (nobility) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Knowledge (planes) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Knowledge (religion) - Juxian Blakros: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Knowledge results coming shortly...

Grand Lodge

Male Human Magus 4 | hp 26/26 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 18 | F +4 R +4 W +3 | Spd 30' | Init +3 | Perc +0, Diplo +6, Splcrft +10 Arcane Pool 5/6
PreparedSpells:
Level 0 - Daze (DC 14), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic Level I - Monkey Fish, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray (DC15), Burning Hands (DC15) Level II -

Ratesh stands attentive to the captains' explaining of the situation, though visibly annoyed since he had been left waiting outside the office prior to them allowing him in.

House Thrune is known for offering lucrative favors to those that have helped them rise to power. I've been promised a favor from them myself that I have yet to call on.

However, has anyone considered the possibility that the patriarch of House Thrune *wanted* this other agent to disappear?


Junko:
You have of course heard of House Thrune, the ruling family of Cheliax. They used devils (or were used by them, depending on your point of veiw) to sieze the throne. Many of their allies were powerful spellcasters, and they used many unique magical items in their rise to power.
During the Goblinblood wars in Isger about twenty years ago, Andoran Eagle Knights fought alongside Chelaxian Hellknights and Druman Blackjackets to help contain the goblin hordes. The Isgeri military stayed in the capital and left the civilian population in the hinterlands to fend for themselves. Those who survived owe their lives to their neighbors from Andoran, Druma, and Cheliax.

Natula:
For more than two millennia, Isger has served as a vassal state, first to Taldor and later to Cheliax. Always tugged back and forth as a strategically valuable prize, it was rarely provided the military forces needed to properly defend itself. Tragedy struck about 20 years ago at the outbreak of the Goblinblood Wars. As goblins and hobgoblins attacked settlements all across the region, the steward Hedvend VI ordered his forces to protect the capital and primary trade routes, leaving most outlying towns on their own. Little assistance came directly from Cheliax, so an improbable alliance of Hellknights, Eagle Knights, and Druman Blackjackets joined forces to fend off the goblin menace–but not without cost. By the end of the war several years later, many of the unlikely heroes of Isger had fallen before the goblin hordes, and the fighting had left the countryside devastated and under the control of roving bandits.

Among the wars’ casualties was the Irrica family, a prosperous family that had wielded considerable regional influence despite not being nobility. They were based out of Elidir but often traveled the countryside in their dealings as merchants. They had a summer home on the south shore of the Conerica River, where they conducted business and entertained guests from across Isger and Cheliax. The last of them died defending this estate, which was more exposed to goblin attacks than their other holdings. Patriarch Rutillo Irrica’s will was filed in Elidir in 4680 A.R., but few of the people named in it survived the Goblinblood Wars, and no more recent will has been found. Other than a few personal items, none of the Irrica estate has ever been distributed.

The Irricas’ political liaison was Vegoran Thrune, a distant cousin of the queen and a callous brute who abused his authority for personal gain. As the story goes, the family put up with it for a year or so… then, Vegoran suddenly disappeared. Soon thereafter, House Irrica received several lucrative trade contracts from House Thrune, and began their rise to prominence.

Ratesh:
Although you haven't heard of the Irrica family, you know House Thrune all too well. They often make promises to aid their rise to power, and respect strength and disdain weakness. If the Thrunes didn't act against this Irrica family, then some of the story is still untold.

Shayna:
You've heard of the Irrica family, merchants in Isger based out of Elidir. Good people, as far as Chelaxians go. Everyone knows about Abrogail Thrune and her devil-worshipping family who seized control of Cheliax and has ruled it as a satellite state of Hell for decades.

Juxian:

The Goblinblood Wars (4697 AR — 4701 AR) were a series of conflicts first fought between the army of Isger and hundreds of goblinoid tribes of the Chitterwood. A series of wars resulted, from Varisia to Taldor.

Untold number of travelers and merchants died along the Conerica Straits, and whole towns were destroyed as far from the Chitterwood as the Five Kings Mountains. Among the wars’ casualties was the Irrica family, a prosperous family that had wielded considerable regional influence despite not being nobility. They were based out of Elidir but often traveled the countryside in their dealings as merchants. They had a summer home on the south shore of the Conerica River, where they conducted business and entertained guests from across Isger and Cheliax. The last of them died defending this estate.

Modern-day Isger is a wasteland of burned farms and razed towns, most of which were never rebuilt. Bandits are common, as are goblinoids who survived the wars and remain in hiding.


"An interesting suggestion, Ratesh," muses the venture-Captain. "You know the Thrunes well. But... it would have been easy enough for House Thrune to have just recalled this agent - Vegoran Thrune was his name, a cousin of the Queen or something - and dealt with him privately. To allow him to be 'disappeared' by the Irricas without retribution invites dissent. No, I think that the Thrunes were caught off-guard by the Irricas, and chose to let is pass rather than risk a confrontation so early."

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

Junko's smile widens into a grin as Captain Bascomb finishes his short briefing. "So, you mean to tell me that not only do we get to follow in the footsteps of the Eagle Knights, but we also snatch up something that even the devil-worshipers are wary of? Right from under their noses? I'm so in."

Taking on a more thoughtful expression, she continues. "Although, it does raise the question of why the Irricas didn't use this power to protect themselves from the goblins. If it's the sort of thing you unleash to avenge the honor of dear old grandpa, you'd think they'd have used it to, well, save the family."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Magus 4 | hp 26/26 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 18 | F +4 R +4 W +3 | Spd 30' | Init +3 | Perc +0, Diplo +6, Splcrft +10 Arcane Pool 5/6
PreparedSpells:
Level 0 - Daze (DC 14), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic Level I - Monkey Fish, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray (DC15), Burning Hands (DC15) Level II -

Do the documents happen to say what the Irrica’s contracts were for? Services, resources, or the like?

Dark Archive

Truly Iconic Female Human (Ulfen) Wizard (evoker, admixture school) 5 | hp 31 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +3 R +4 W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnAll +10, Lngst +9, Perc +6 (+2 w Kalas), Scrft +13, SensM +0 (+2 w Kalas) | versatile evocation 7/8 | wands false life CL 3 7/7, m missile 42/50, summon monster I CL 3 9/9, unseen servant 8/10 | mage armor, mirror image (5)
GM Lamplighter wrote:

Brackett nods curtly at the young officer. “Captain Bascomb?”

The officer steps forward and comes to attention out of habit before speaking.

"At ease soldier. The war's over." says the tall lanky Ulfen woman, in a vocally fried voice. She had been sitting there with a bored expression on her face until near the end mission outline.

"You're assuming a lot to expecting whatever it is to still be there after all this time." Natula says to the Venture-Captain.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

An ulfen man joins the conversation, he is far less bulky and physically powerful in appearance than most Ulfen tend to be, "Any chance to work against Cheliex's government is an ideal mission for me." he says before adjusting his signet ring, "Juxian Blakros, of the Absalom Blakros, you've all been to my family's museum at least once by now, right?"

Padding along side of Juxian is his trusty cheetah, "This is Spots Blakros. Found him in a shipment to the museum, decided I would take care of him and now he takes care of me."


N Small Animal (Small Cat) | HP 34/40 | AC 22+1 T 18+1 FF 15+1 | CMB +3/+11 CMD 20| F: +7, R: +12, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +1, SM: +1 | Speed 50ft || Active conditions:

"Meow" says the small cat wearing a cloak and a platinum collar.

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

Junko lowers her head to hide the reddening of her face in embarrassment, realizing she forgot to introduce herself. Not the best first impression...

Looking back up, Junko brushes a few stray strands of red out of her face and smiles at each of the others. "I'm Junko, of, well, right here in Almas. Pleasure to meet you, Juxian! I'm afraid I haven't been able to see your family's museum get, though. I've only been to Absalom once and it was closed at the time for repairs or renovations or somesuch."

Kneeling down to Spots's level as much as she can, she nods at him seriously and extends a hand toward him, giving him the chance to make a first move.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Truly Iconic Female Human (Ulfen) Wizard (evoker, admixture school) 5 | hp 31 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +3 R +4 W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnAll +10, Lngst +9, Perc +6 (+2 w Kalas), Scrft +13, SensM +0 (+2 w Kalas) | versatile evocation 7/8 | wands false life CL 3 7/7, m missile 42/50, summon monster I CL 3 9/9, unseen servant 8/10 | mage armor, mirror image (5)
Juxian Blakros wrote:
An ulfen man joins the conversation, he is far less bulky and physically powerful in appearance than most Ulfen tend to be, "Any chance to work against Cheliex's government is an ideal mission for me." he says before adjusting his signet ring, "Juxian Blakros, of the Absalom Blakros, you've all been to my family's museum at least once by now, right?"

"No."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

Juxian looks a little surprised, "Pathfinder agents that haven't had to come to Nigel's rescue? I'll have to put your names at the top of the waiting list for 'stopping a dangerous acquisition from taking over the museum."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Magus 4 | hp 26/26 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 18 | F +4 R +4 W +3 | Spd 30' | Init +3 | Perc +0, Diplo +6, Splcrft +10 Arcane Pool 5/6
PreparedSpells:
Level 0 - Daze (DC 14), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic Level I - Monkey Fish, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray (DC15), Burning Hands (DC15) Level II -

Ratesh nods, "I have some acquaintances that have told me about your family's museum, and I believe one was involved in rescuing the curator from some horror or another, but I do not believe I have personally had the pleasure."

Dark Archive

Truly Iconic Female Human (Ulfen) Wizard (evoker, admixture school) 5 | hp 31 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +3 R +4 W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnAll +10, Lngst +9, Perc +6 (+2 w Kalas), Scrft +13, SensM +0 (+2 w Kalas) | versatile evocation 7/8 | wands false life CL 3 7/7, m missile 42/50, summon monster I CL 3 9/9, unseen servant 8/10 | mage armor, mirror image (5)
Juxian Blakros wrote:
Juxian looks a little surprised, "Pathfinder agents that haven't had to come to Nigel's rescue? I'll have to put your names at the top of the waiting list for 'stopping a dangerous acquisition from taking over the museum."

"Who's Nigel?"

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

Juxian nods at Ratesh, "If someone told you that, its likely true. If it wasn't so dangerous sometimes, I'd rather enjoy how hectic the place can get."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Magus 4 | hp 26/26 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 18 | F +4 R +4 W +3 | Spd 30' | Init +3 | Perc +0, Diplo +6, Splcrft +10 Arcane Pool 5/6
PreparedSpells:
Level 0 - Daze (DC 14), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic Level I - Monkey Fish, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray (DC15), Burning Hands (DC15) Level II -

So joining the Pathfinder Society was your "safe" option?

Dark Archive

Truly Iconic Female Human (Ulfen) Wizard (evoker, admixture school) 5 | hp 31 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +3 R +4 W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnAll +10, Lngst +9, Perc +6 (+2 w Kalas), Scrft +13, SensM +0 (+2 w Kalas) | versatile evocation 7/8 | wands false life CL 3 7/7, m missile 42/50, summon monster I CL 3 9/9, unseen servant 8/10 | mage armor, mirror image (5)

"Wait, you mean this isn't the Consortium? S#%!!"

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

"No, I believe their secret headquarters is across the street."

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

Juxian laughs at Ratesh's comment, "No, no, I was a pathfinder agent before I was a Blakros. I saved Nigel a few too many times and got married to one of the daughters...Actually, I didn't really save anyone, but I did keep other pathfinders alive while they saved Nigel, my wife, and her sister."


Brackett listens to the questions before replying. "You're right, it's possible that the item itself may not longer be at the Irrica estate. However, I've found a reference in some older wills in Elidir, which refer to a "secret" being handed down to the eldest child. Since the last of the Irricas died at their summer estate, whatever the "secret" was did not get passed on. There may still be evidence there to point you in the right direction."

At the banter around the Blakros Museum, Brackett cracks a smile. "Ah, good old Nigel... half the Society has cut its teeth helping that poor fellow out of trouble."

Dark Archive

Truly Iconic Female Human (Ulfen) Wizard (evoker, admixture school) 5 | hp 31 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +3 R +4 W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnAll +10, Lngst +9, Perc +6 (+2 w Kalas), Scrft +13, SensM +0 (+2 w Kalas) | versatile evocation 7/8 | wands false life CL 3 7/7, m missile 42/50, summon monster I CL 3 9/9, unseen servant 8/10 | mage armor, mirror image (5)

"Sounds like he's a total wanker." mutters Natula.

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

"Worth a look, at least," Junko says, nodding to Brackett. "Any particular dangers we should be aware of going in? What's the plan to get us across the border?"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Magus 4 | hp 26/26 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 18 | F +4 R +4 W +3 | Spd 30' | Init +3 | Perc +0, Diplo +6, Splcrft +10 Arcane Pool 5/6
PreparedSpells:
Level 0 - Daze (DC 14), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic Level I - Monkey Fish, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray (DC15), Burning Hands (DC15) Level II -

An incredulous look crosses Ratesh's face, So let me get this straight, you are asking us to go to the estate of a dead and declined Chelish house, and find some "secret" that they have been hiding. We have no idea what form this secret may take, be it slip of paper, personal journal, artifact, or living and/or accursed being? For all we know this could be the family's favorite recipe for alchemical demon's blood...

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

"Yeah, sounds like it. Take as much as we can for the museum too. Well, that, or at least mark it for later retrieval for some other pathfinder team." Juxian replies to Ratesh.


@Junko: "Bandits, goblins, the usual. Something may have taken up residence in the ruins of the house."

@Ratesh: "Ah, sweet summer child," Brackett smiles. "I'm sure you won't find it in the house - it's been twenty years!" He shakes his head. "No, you're starting there to see what you can learn about the family's last days, what happened there, and if any clues have been left behind. If goblins were attacking my house and I had supernatural aid, I might use it... and maybe leave evidence of it."

"And you're not alone on this. I'm heading to Elidir to look into the family's last generation, see what other hints we might be able to turn up. We'll ride together for most of your trip before I head west. Once you explore the house and learn what you can, meet me at the Short Sorcerer tavern in Elidir and we can compare notes."

@Juxian: "Of course, if anything of historical or artistic value can be salvaged, by all means bring it along. The place has likely been looted many times, but you never know what a careful search might uncover." Brackett winks.

You can make whatever purchases/preparations you'd like retroactively, while we jump to the next scene... just note it here. Similarly, Brackett can answer questions along the way.


The quartermaster loans you all riding horses if you need them, and pack your saddlebags with the food and water required for the journey. You ride north from Almas, crossing the Andoshen River at Riverford and passing through Oregeant, Olfden, and Falcon's Hollow before turning west. Skirting the active volcano Droskar's Crag, you bear northwest through the Isger gap and approach the swift-flowing Conerica River.

As you enter Isger, the land changes from broad meadows with scattered farms to a burned wasteland with nothing more than ruins. Every hour or so you pass the remains of a burnt farmhouse or small hamlet. Every copse of woods and stand of trees seems to have burned to the ground, and the only animal life you spot are birds flying high overhead.

Two weeks into the journey, Venture-Captain Brackett points out a dark silhouette on the horizon. “There’s the old Irrica estate. Check it out, and then meet me in Elidir to report. I’ll be staying at the Short Sorcerer Tavern, near the Druma Road gate.”

As Brackett rides off, you survey the ruin in front of you. Once a stately two-story affair, the upper floor has collapsed, with only a few segments of wooden wall jutting up against the sky. The lower floor, made of stone, was weathered the years better, but it still shows the soot and scorches of fire. The windows are boarded over, their glass scattered across the porch in shards.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

"Alright, lets get to work, everyone gather around for a moment." Juxian says as he dismounts his horse and Spots jumps off.

Juxian uses his divine powers to link his life force with that of his allies. He also casts a 5 hour shield other on Spots.

I can life link 5 people, is that everyone? We have 6 players counting myself right?

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

Yep, that's what I count.

Junko frowns up at the ruined estate, before dismounting and joining the others around Juxian. Once that's done, she digs around in her pack for a moment and retrieves a wand, gestures with it briefly, and then returns it to the bag. Waiting for the others to finish their own preparations, she paces back and forth in an attempt to shake off the road fatigue.

1 charge from wand of mage armor, +4 to AC, duration 1 hour.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Magus 4 | hp 26/26 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 18 | F +4 R +4 W +3 | Spd 30' | Init +3 | Perc +0, Diplo +6, Splcrft +10 Arcane Pool 5/6
PreparedSpells:
Level 0 - Daze (DC 14), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic Level I - Monkey Fish, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray (DC15), Burning Hands (DC15) Level II -

Ratesh slowly dismounts from his horse and retrieves his gear from the saddle bags.

After patting the steed on the neck he whispers, Stay close, girl, we may be in need of a quick exit.

He then begins looking at the ground for any recent signs of tracks.

Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

And slowly approaches the estate, after casting Detect Magic for the presence of any magical wards or auras that may be seen from the outside.

You never know what kind of lingering alarms or traps could be left over in these old noble estates. Especially ones that may have had problems with goblin bands in the past.

Dark Archive

Truly Iconic Female Human (Ulfen) Wizard (evoker, admixture school) 5 | hp 31 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +3 R +4 W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnAll +10, Lngst +9, Perc +6 (+2 w Kalas), Scrft +13, SensM +0 (+2 w Kalas) | versatile evocation 7/8 | wands false life CL 3 7/7, m missile 42/50, summon monster I CL 3 9/9, unseen servant 8/10 | mage armor, mirror image (5)

Natula casts mage armor on herself as the draw near lasting for 5 hours. She scans the area with detect magic (taking 10 on rolls to identify active magic).


You make your preparations and approach the estate. A stone pathway barely visible under years of weeds leads to two sets of broad stone steps that arc up to an open-air veranda that covers the front of the mansion. Untended ivy has grown over the front of the house, partially blocking the view into the veranda and filling the broken window panes of the small vestibule that encloses the main entrance.

No tracks other than those small animals are visible around the front of the house, which seems long-abandoned. No magic can be felt within your range, other than what you carry with you.


Link to map has been added to the campaign description, so it should be at the top of the page. Feel free to move your icon to where you want it to be. During narrative, I may move your icon to where you've described if it becomes important, but otherwise I'll assume that where you've put it is where you are.


Male Bat familiar | hp 15 | AC 19 T 16 FF 17 | CMD 3 | F +0 R +4 W +6 | Spd 5', fly 40' (good) | Init +2 | Fly +16, Kn(All) +1, Perc +13 (low-light, blindsense 20'), Scrft +4, SensM +2

A Natula's mental nudge a tiny bat flaps out from under her cape and up to the elevated patio.

**Squee!**

What's the elevation like?


The veranda is 10 feet above ground level. The half-wall of the veranda is about 3' high, with stone pillars (marked on the map) rising to the roof of the veranda 10' above. The open areas between pillars is heavily overgrown with vines and brambles, filtering the sunlight to dim light within the veranda area.

The vestibule is similar in height, although the first floor of the main house seems to have 15' ceilings. The windows between the main house and the veranda are boarded up. The main double doors seem intact and closed, although the other doors into the vestibule are broken and burned.

Silver Crusade

Male LG Human Oracle 5.2 (Pei-zin Practitioner) | HP 43/53 | AC 10 T 10 FF 10 | CMB +2, , CMD 12 | F: +8, R: +2, W: +5 | Init: +0 | Perc: -2, SM: -2 | Speed 20ft | Lay on Hands 6/6 | Spells: Oracle 1st 8/8 Oracle 2nd 5/5| Active conditions:

Juxian is content to follow his party along, but definitely doesn't want to lead it, he works better when he isn't the one actually getting stabbed after all.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)3, HP 31/231 AC 20, T 15, FF 15, F +2, R +7; W +3, Init. +6(+8); Perception +7

Konner looks at the wall.

I can get up there with a decent running start. Want to try that way? Might have to chop through these hedges...awfully tangled... the young Taldan man says, eyeing the property. His wickedly curved blade dangling at his side.

perc: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

Junko gives a good-natured laugh, saying "I'd very much like to see that, Konner, but I think we can probably just take the steps. I've certainly never had much talent for that sort of acrobatics." Her face takes on a delighted expression as she sees Kalas take flight.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)3, HP 31/231 AC 20, T 15, FF 15, F +2, R +7; W +3, Init. +6(+8); Perception +7

Well, I was thinking if we didn't want to go the traditional way...you know...sneak in there? Was just a thought...front door is fine I suppose... he lets out a melodramatic sigh as he heads for the front door.

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

"Don't let me dissuade you! I just think I'll have a much harder time following in your footsteps."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Magus 4 | hp 26/26 | AC 18 T 13 FF 15 | CMB +5 CMD 18 | F +4 R +4 W +3 | Spd 30' | Init +3 | Perc +0, Diplo +6, Splcrft +10 Arcane Pool 5/6
PreparedSpells:
Level 0 - Daze (DC 14), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic Level I - Monkey Fish, Shocking Grasp, Color Spray (DC15), Burning Hands (DC15) Level II -

Ratesh examines the building, carefully weighing his options.

I suspect I could climb up there if need be, but it would likely not be quiet and would defeat the purpose of using the non-traditional entry point.

I suggest we just use the front door unless you are comfortable doing some lone reconnaissance.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)3, HP 31/231 AC 20, T 15, FF 15, F +2, R +7; W +3, Init. +6(+8); Perception +7

Front door it is...I know when I am outnumbered...he says with a groan and a wink. He moves to the front door, blade in hand. He carefully picks his way along, scanning for threats as he does.

perc: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Male Bat familiar | hp 15 | AC 19 T 16 FF 17 | CMD 3 | F +0 R +4 W +6 | Spd 5', fly 40' (good) | Init +2 | Fly +16, Kn(All) +1, Perc +13 (low-light, blindsense 20'), Scrft +4, SensM +2

Kalas flutters about looking for danger (and bugs to eat).

perception (lowlight, blindsense): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21


The stone steps seem solid and safe, but the veranda is another matter. Rotted areas of planks (visible on the map) seem likely to collapse, and broken glass and debris covered the veranda floor (difficult terrain).

As Konner reaches the top of the stairs, something seems off, although he can't quite put his finger on what it is. After a moment it becomes clear... while the windows into the house have some wooden planks across the outside, the windows have also been solidly boarded over from the inside.

What level of communication does Kalas have with you, Natula?


The stone steps seem solid and safe, but the veranda is another matter entirely. Even in the dim light, Konner spots several areas of rotted wooden planks which seem likely to collapse (noted on the map). The floor is scattered with broken glass, rusted caltrops, wooden splinters, and bits of metal refuse (making the entire veranda difficult terrain). Rat and bird droppings are everywhere, and the veranda seems to have served as a nest for some form of furry mammal in the recent past.

@Konner: As you examine the area, something does feel off, but you cant quite put your finger on it. After a moment it comes to you: while there are a few scraps of rotted or burned wood covering the windows into the house, the windows have also been securely boarded up from the inside as well.

@Natula, what level of communication do you have with Kalas?


Forum ate the first post, had to recreate it... use the second one in case the details matter.

Liberty's Edge

Female Kitsune Sorcerer 4 (Fey) | 22HP | AC12{16} T12{16} FF10{16} | CMD10 | F +3 R +4 W +6 | Spd 30 | Init +3 | Perc +1 | Acro +4, Bluff +10, Arcana +4, Nature +4, Perf (Oratory) +10, SplCft +4, UMD +10 | wands mage armor 48/50, cure light wounds 12/12, comprehend languages 6/6, see invisibility 13/13, restorative wand 3/5 | Spells: Sorcerer 1st 7/8 2nd 3/4 | Active Conditions: none

Junko listens for any sign of activity as she waits to hear if it's safe to approach.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Dark Archive

Truly Iconic Female Human (Ulfen) Wizard (evoker, admixture school) 5 | hp 31 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | CMD 14 | F +3 R +4 W +5 | Spd 30' | Init +2 | KnAll +10, Lngst +9, Perc +6 (+2 w Kalas), Scrft +13, SensM +0 (+2 w Kalas) | versatile evocation 7/8 | wands false life CL 3 7/7, m missile 42/50, summon monster I CL 3 9/9, unseen servant 8/10 | mage armor, mirror image (5)
GM Lamplighter wrote:
What level of communication does Kalas have with you, Natula?
PSRD wrote:

Empathic Link (Su): The master has an empathic link with his familiar to a 1 mile distance. The master can communicate empathically with the familiar, but cannot see through its eyes. Because of the link’s limited nature, only general emotions can be shared. The master has the same connection to an item or place that his familiar does.

and...

Speak with Master (Ex): If the master is 5th level or higher, a familiar and the master can communicate verbally as if they were using a common language. Other creatures do not understand the communication without magical help.

I should also note that Kalas is really bright for a bat. He can read several languages, and has access to all knowledge skills and spellcraft.

1 to 50 of 305 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP GameDay VIII] GM Lamplighter's PFS 9-16 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.