[PbP Gameday VIII] GM Ladile & the Pathfinder Society Present: The Haunting of Hinojai

Game Master Lady Ladile

Maps & Handouts


101 to 150 of 350 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge throws up a fist to signal everyone to halt. "There's a very faint whisper in the wind...it calls for us to hurry...might be the missing girl but I suspect it could also be an ambush..."

Ingrge concentrates and tries to pinpoint the source of the whisper...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (19) + 21 = 40

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Not very surprised at the news, Hanlin asks Iomedae to protect him from the touch of others. Cast shield of faith on self, +3 deflection for 7mins.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Behind the Scenes:

Ingrge Init: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Malusha Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Though Ingrge is quick to call everyone to a halt none of you are able to hear what he and Malusha, standing stock-still with his head cocked to one side, seem to have heard. Deciding better safe than sorry, Hanlin quickly covers himself in a shield of faith - though he still can't hear anything strange.

For a few long, agonizing seconds, nothing happens.

Then, the very air in front of sundial begins to shimmer and ripple as though it were water and someone had dropped a small pebble into its center. As it does, all of you hear it - a distorted, feminine voice that echoes across the years.

<"Ò̕h͏̧ ̧Y̨o̴҉s̀hik̡̧i̸̴͝, ̨hu̢͘͘r̸͠rỳ͏̶!̛͢ ̷ ̡P̷̶͞l̷͡e͞͠a͜s̶è̢͞, ̢͘t̢h̴̸e͢ su͜͡n̴.͝.̕.͠͝t̷̡h̸e̡ su̶͡n!͞">

Even more terrible than the abject terror in the voice is the sound that accompanies it - the weeping of children.

Ingrge and Malusha, already on edge, have just enough time to act.

If they hurry.

Kn. Religion (DC 15):

You realize that this is isn't Naomi's missing friend nor is this an ambush.

It's a haunt.

And you remember from your training that there isn't much that can put an end to a haunting beyond positive energy, which will neutralize it for a short time. Permanently destroying a haunt often requires a very specific action, unique to each haunting, to be performed.

Ingrge & Malusha may each take either a Standard or Move action as they are not surprised by this occurrence.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Sensing something sinister, Ingrge moves back 30’ while yelling, ”Move away...”

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

K Religion DC15: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

"Hanlin stammers.. its a haunt! Holy energy, quickly!" But he's too slow to do much other than speak.

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/4 | Arcane Pool 9/10 | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 (Active) | GM Folio Reroll +2 | HP 75/78 | AC 25, T 13, FF 24 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (7 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

"Huh, the sun?" Cirri is just confused.

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp 53/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 Anything more?

Hanlin wrote:
"Hanlin stammers.. its a haunt! Holy energy, quickly!" But he's too slow to do much other than speak.

"Actually it is 'Abaal' not 'Quickly', old chum. While I am no Rahadoumi, neither do I have any mystical powers beyond the power granted me by my black blade, and the strength of my own determination and sword arm."

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 56/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha's eyes open wide as the haunt reveals itself. "Dawnflower protect us!" he says with a gasp and scrambles to grab a hold of the holy symbol hanging from his neck. With a louder voice he calls on Sarenrae, "Great and beautiful mistress, Our Everlight, fill me with your divine energy and protect us from this fearsome evil!" As the surge of energy fades, he steps back away from the sundial.

channel positive to harm the haunt: 4d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 5, 4) = 16 +8 against undead, don't know if that applies


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Ingrge calls another warning and swiftly backs away from the rippling air and several of you realize now that you've stumbled upon a haunt, a malevolent amalgam of negative energy and psychic echos of events long past. Malusha instinctively reaches for his holy symbol, calling upon Sarenrae's light to protect you all as he sends a wave of positive energy washing over the landing and the sundial.

As the energy strikes the rippling air, there's a flash of bright light and a vision coalesces before you:

Six ghostly figures appear on the landing. A young woman huddles on the ground in front of the sundial, her arms curled protectively around two young boys. Flanking them are two spectral figures, armored and each wielding a sharp, wicked-looking blade. The children weep with fear and the woman calls out to some unseen person, desperation in her voice.

<"Yoshiki please...please! Please hurry! The sun, the sun is going down....please...">

And, indeed, the shadows are long and the light of day has grown dim. Sunset rapidly approaches.

Standing apart from the other figures is a robed and hooded woman, who gazes down the stone steps and the road beyond with an impassive, unreadable expression. As the seconds tick by you begin to hear the sound of rapid footfalls, as though someone were running along the road towards the house with all their might. The woman and her two sons gasp, the fear and despair in their eyes turning to hope.

<"It's...it's him! It's your father, he's returned!"> the woman exclaims, hugging her children tightly. <"It'll be okay, now. It'll all be okay; your father is back and now we'll be able to go home!">

The sound of the footsteps grows louder and you can tell by their sound that whoever approaches is charging up the stairs, taking them two or three at a time. With only a few steps left to go, a young man comes into view; his clothes are soaked with sweat and he appears exhausted, on the verge of collapse. He has just enough time to catch a glimpse of his family and they of him, before the last bit of light fades and the robed woman steps forward to block his way.

<"You are too late,"> she says, softly. A slow, cruel smile spreads across her previously-impassive features. <"The sun has set and their lives...are forfeit.">

Her words are a signal. Sharp blades flash. The twilight is rent by terrified screams, brutally cut short. And blood stains the stones red, red, red.

The man, shocked, exhausted, and now utterly broken, slowly sinks to the ground. A low, grief-stricken moan escapes him, building, growing louder and louder until it becomes a scream, a single note of despair, rage, and the shattering realization of having been deceived.

The vision fades and you find yourself back in the present, alone at the moon gate landing once more.

The Exchange

Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 12/14 :: Abj 6/6 | Spells 1 = 5 / 6 :: 2 = 5 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

"A troubling vision, to be sure. But who were they? And when did this happen?" Akazim muses, more to himself than to anyone in particular. His experience with haunts and other psychic phenomenon inclines him to be curious, and insulates him somewhat from the horrors revealed.

He walks carefully around the sundial, trying to recall the little details of what they had just experienced.

Kn(History): 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32
Linguistics: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20

That pattern on the kimono that Yoshiki-san's poor wife wore was only in fashion during a particular period. And the word the woman used for 'forfeit' is an archaic form, also. Although she could just speak that way. But if I had to guess, I'd say this happened....

@GM: Does Akazim actually know anything?

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin watches Malusha channel his bright and holy goddess, zapping the haunt before it can bring its might to bear. His face changes from that of concern to a beaming smile. He claps the man on the shoulder and lets out a belly laugh "Great work man! The dead today won't know what hit them! If ever there were two Goddesses that hated the walking dead more than Iomedae and Sarenrae then I'll buy drinks for a month!"

In response to Akazim's questions all Hanlin can reply is this "I can't say for sure, but its got to be part of the history of this place.. and a history that seems to be soaked in the blood of tragedy. Let's hope we can sort it out and put it to bed."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

After the vision disperses, Ingrge warily moves back towards the steps, bow still ready. "Well done, Malusha...I think we should proceed, but slowly, in case more surprises like this await us..."

He moves cautiously, and quietly, up the stairs, his eyes ever alert for any signs of foes and/or traps as he approaches the doors...

Stealth: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (4) + 21 = 25
Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (12) + 21 = 33
Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/4 | Arcane Pool 9/10 | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 (Active) | GM Folio Reroll +2 | HP 75/78 | AC 25, T 13, FF 24 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (7 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

Cirri tries to recall any stories she heard about this mansion and sunset.

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

"Sunset's almost as cool as sunrise. Why would you curse someone at that time? Yeesh."

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp 53/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

What language is the vision in?

"Well, you don't see that sort of functionality out of most sundials." says Abaal impressed.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 56/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha continues to stare at the sundial after the image fades, his heart aching in response to the scene he witnessed. What drives people to such evil? The father was right there. It would have been so easy for the hooded woman to accept him. Righteous anger burns deep in the quiet cleric's breast.

The others' words break him from his thoughts. "I hope there are no more things like that," He replies finally to Ingrge. He starts up the steps with everyone else.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

The language spoken in the vision was Tien.

After a few moments of shocked silence everyone slowly begins to come around as though waking from a heavy sleep or trance. Though the air remains quiet, the sunlight streaming in through the trees overheard is strangely peaceful and you'd almost swear that the entire thing was just a dream.

If not for the telltale stains left behind on the stones.

Akazim thinks back to the small details of the scene; the styles of dress on each of the figures, the way the poor mother wore her hair, the adornments on the murderers' armor, and the mysterious robed woman's manner of speech. Though old, none of them are that old and he suspects that this scene must have taken place nearly a century ago.

Unfortunately, Cirri is unable to recall any unusual tales concerning Hinojai and sunsets, or the sundial and neither Malusha nor Hanlin have anything to offer either. But Abaal's rather surprising experience with strange things - such as haunts - and his own good intuition do grant him a little additional insight about the vision you just witnessed.

Abaal:

Given the strength of the haunt, you suspect that it will take one of two things to destroy it for good. A Hallow spell or putting an end to the robed woman who was responsible - if she's even still alive. Otherwise, you think you might have an hour before the haunt gathers enough energy to become an active threat once more.

With no sign of Seiko or anyone else, there's little else to do but continue forward. Ingrge, now on high alert, sticks to the shadows as best as he can and makes his way past the moon gate and up the final set of stone steps to the mansion's front entrance. A pair of lacquered sliding doors decorated with winged stag-like creatures awaits would-be visitors and the porch that you stand on continues around both the eastern and western corners of the house.

Cursory examination of the sliding doors reveals them to be unlocked and free of traps.

Wisdom (DC 14):

As everyone considers what to do next - try the front door or perhaps explore around the house's perimeter - something continues to niggle at the back of your mind. Something about the vision you just witnessed; there was an element to it that seemed vaguely familiar but you're having a hard time putting a finger on what.

Then it hits you.

You didn't get a great look at the robed woman's face under her hood, but her voice...you heard her voice.

It sounded like the voice of the waitress you met at the Kami's Whisper, Ateji Kimie.

Current Map

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Wisdom: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Perceiving no traps and with one hand holding tight to his bow, Ingrge slides back the sliding door. The ranger then brings his bow up in the ready position as he wants to look over what the open door reveals before anyone enters, lest there be another haunt or other nasty surprise awaiting them inside...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (20) + 21 = 41


Spells -/6 | Greater Invisibility 3/3 (Active, 0/3 rounds)| Alignment CG HP 39/39 | AC 24 (T 17 FF 20) | Saves 6/8/7 | Perception +11 | Init +3 | Riddywhipple, Faerie Dragon familiar (Master) |

Cirri's Wisdom: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9
Riddy's Wisdom: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

"Did anyone notice how that robed woman sounded like the waitress we met? Ateji Kimie?" Riddywhipple flails about. "So we just gave our intent away to a crazy cultist who probably doesn't want people snooping around."

His giggle echoes throughout the forest.

"That's all. Carry on."


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Ingrge waits for a moment and then signals to the rest of the group. On a silent count of three he deftly slides the doors open and then brings his bow up, ready to fire on anything unsavory that might be waiting inside.

But nothing happens.

Ambient light filters in from the open door, revealing a large, L-shaped entry hall. The walls here are painted with depictions of soldiers and samurai in battle against the armies of nobles and daimyos, while receiving the adoration of peasants and common people. Little furniture is to be found, but a once ornate wood-and-paper folding room divider lies in a broken ruin in the southeast corner. Metal hanging lanterns have been torn from the ceiling and now lie in ruins on the wood floor. Several ceremonial weapons have been pulled from the walls and discarded.

The room is otherwise empty and devoid of life.

Ingrge can see two sets of doors leading off to the north and one leading to the east...

Current Map

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge nods to the familiar. "I did not catch that...but now that you mention it, the voice did sound familiar...and I doubt it's a coincidence..."

Looking into the room, he announces, "It appears to be safe to enter...how do we want to proceed as far as searching this place? Should we recon the grounds first or concentrate inside the manor?"

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 56/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Wisdom: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Malusha also recognized the voice. "Yes, that voice has me concerned as well. But there is nothing we can do. We must just be careful." He moves up just behind Ingrge. Once the door is open he casts detect magic through the door and into the room.

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/4 | Arcane Pool 9/10 | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 (Active) | GM Folio Reroll +2 | HP 75/78 | AC 25, T 13, FF 24 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (7 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

Cirri lands and casts Invisibility on Ingrge. "Uh, look inside first? You should be impossible to track by sight for the next 9 minutes."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge nods to Cirri, whispering, ”Thanks,” before entering the room, trying to center himself in the room so he can check out the three doors, bow still ready...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (5) + 21 = 26

The Exchange

Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 12/14 :: Abj 6/6 | Spells 1 = 5 / 6 :: 2 = 5 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

Wisdom: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Having been immersed in his own thoughts about the scene they witnessed, Akazim failed to notice the similarity between the voices, and considers his colleagues' words.

As he joins the others outside the double doors, he shares his thoughts on their hostess.

"For her to be the same person we met, she is likely not the human she portrayed herself as at the inn. Based on my observations, that scene took place nearly one hundred years ago. And she did not appear to be anywhere near that old. If she is some type of shapeshifter or oni, we must be on our guard for further deception."

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 56/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

"One hundred years ago! Are you sure?" Malusha is shocked by Akazim's statement. "I know it was the same voice." He turns his attention back to the open door, waiting for Ingrge to reappear.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

As you all huddle at the threshold and quietly discuss your sudden revelation Cirri reaches out and grants Ingrge the boon of invisibility, at least for a short time. Malusha scans what he can see of the entry hall for magical auras, but doesn't detect anything.

Resolved to continue leading the way, the Invisible Archer steps into the house...

Ingrge:

The moment you set foot inside the house you're struck by the powerful sense of wrongness that lingers in this place...and a sudden sense of dread.

Make a DC 15 Will or be Shaken for 1d4 ⇒ 4 minutes. This is a mind-affecting fear effect in regards to save bonuses and such.

...and though there's a slight pause in the sound of his footfalls, they resume as he moves towards the center of the entry hall to better observe all three doors. The seconds tick by...and nothing happens.

None of the doors here seem to be locked.

Current Map
______________

Optional Mood Music

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge, hit by a wave of fear as soon as he steps foot in the room, struggles to maintain his poise...

Will+Cirri’s Ward: 1d20 + 5 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 5 + 3 = 17

Thanks, Cirri!

Able to overcome the effect, he warns the others. ”Beware! Upon entering, a strong sense of foreboding almost overwhelmed me!”

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

DC14 Wisdom: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Hanlin never really caught the resemblance between the two voices, but he slowly shakes his head "You're all very astute, much more than I ever could be. We're likely dealing with some devil or demon, or oni, or the like. Normal weapons aren't likely to be as effective as usual. Stick to silvered or cold iron blades..." He looks down at his adamantine longsword and curses himself.

Yes Father, I screwed up again. That's what I do best isn't it?

He moves ahead with the rest of the group, stepping inside the manor with a sense of duty as Ingrge scouts ahead.

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp 53/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

Wisdom: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Abaal nods once to acknowledge all that has been said above about the voice.

Hanlin wrote:

Hanlin never really caught the resemblance between the two voices, but he slowly shakes his head "You're all very astute, much more than I ever could be. We're likely dealing with some devil or demon, or oni, or the like. Normal weapons aren't likely to be as effective as usual. Stick to silvered or cold iron blades..." He looks down at his adamantine longsword and curses himself.

Yes Father, I screwed up again. That's what I do best isn't it?

He moves ahead with the rest of the group, stepping inside the manor with a sense of duty as Ingrge scouts ahead.

Abaal slowly draws the huge wedge of matte black metal that is his most prominent weapon in such a way to show off its quality in the light.

"I have always found my blade of black adamant to be up to the tasks it has been called upon to perform." he says with his usual confidence.

If we have someone with an ability to improve our chances against a fear save now would be the time to use it. If no one does Abaal just moves in, only slightly worried about accidentally stepping on or slicing up the invisible Ingrge.

EDIT Once he see's what is around the corner that is.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin has remove fear prepared but that will only help 2 or 3 people. Far more restricted for targets than say haste. He'll use it to hopefully clear any failed saves.

"Adamantine makes a fine edge, but it isn't always the metal of choice against those from other planes."

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 12/14 :: Abj 6/6 | Spells 1 = 5 / 6 :: 2 = 5 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

"Yes, my friend, I'm nearly certain," he replies to Malusha's incredulity. "For instance, did you not notice the scalloped edges on the warriors' shikoro? They only started making helmets that way in 4600 when Hikaru Kato added the flourish. But the scalloping style abruptly died out when he was dishonored a mere score of years later. We've never learned what the story behind his fall was, though I suspect they know more here, and our ignorance is simply a matter of distance."

He goes on, "And I'm sure you caught the single right-side screw ringlet in the mother's hair?" He pauses only a heartbeat as if waiting for a response, but presses on regardless. "This was a common fashion originated by the wives of low level samurai which quickly caught on among many women above the lowest peasant classes. It apparently had something to do with symbolizing the yin to the daisho's yang and thereby the strength and power of femininity. But it had fallen out of fashion by around 4640 based on a Hotusai block-print we have at the museum. Perhaps you've seen it, it's very famous, Floating Tea on the Shore of Lake Honolu."

Will: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

"The only element I can't really be certain of, though, is something I caught in her speech. She said their lives were 'boshuu' meaning 'forfeit.' Of course, it still means 'forfeit,' but with the rise in popularity of so-called Professional Judo Wresting, that term came to be associated more with sports and casual games. The loss of a more serious endeavor or a much larger bet would use 'shiitsui' today. Obviously it's possible that she meant it that way to add insult to Yoshiki's injury by degrading his loss, and it's equally possible that she simply prefers the archaic usage, but with the other elements I noted, i'm reasonably certain that she was using it in context for the era."

He's so caught up in his lecture that he doesn't even notice the creepy-crawly tingle on his spine as he enters the room. He does stop talking as he takes up a position between the two doors, glaive at the ready in case something comes at them through either door.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/4 | Arcane Pool 9/10 | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 (Active) | GM Folio Reroll +2 | HP 75/78 | AC 25, T 13, FF 24 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (7 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

Cirri nods as Akazim gives a thorough history lesson.

"Uh huh. Uh huh. Hold on... Judo isn't professional- wait, gimme a chance to get my other notebook." She scribbles hurriedly.

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 56/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha is fascinated by Akazim's vast storehouse of knowledge. "How did you learn all of that?" Before Akazim can answer he remembers where they are and looks around wide-eyed. "Maybe you can tell me more later." Malusha reaches into his bag and takes out a wand. He flicks it with a flourish. A warm feeling of blessing covers everyone.

Cast blese

"This will help you resist any fear."


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Ingrge calls out a warning about a deep sense of dread and foreboding that nearly got the better of him upon stepping inside the house. Most of the rest of you come to a halt except for Akazim who strolls right on in without really thinking, so caught up is he in his impromptu history lesson. Hanlin is quick to follow.

Inclined to be more cautious, Malusha makes use of a wand he keeps handy to bolster the rest of the group against fear.

But...that's strange.

Neither Akazim or Hanlin feel anything at all as they step over the threshold.

Maybe it was just Ingrge's imagination?

Current Map
______________

What next?

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge frowns as the others seem not to be hit with the dread he felt upon entering the room...he shakes his head and continues with the task at hand...

He'll move to the door to the east/right and warily open it and check what it reveals...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (12) + 21 = 33

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

"Maybe it was a sprung magical trap? Or another haunt." Hanlin whispers, drawing out his shield but keeping his weapon hand at the ready to draw what's needed.

He keeps his eyes and ears open as they creep along. Just going to take 10 on stealths and perceptions through here: 11 and 13!

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp 53/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |
Abaal Zadeir, Sword of Katapesh wrote:
EDIT Once he see's what is around the corner that is.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Still uneasy in spite of his companions not expressing the same foreboding that he experienced, Ingrge first edges up to the southeastern door and carefully slides it open. This simple, tiny room appears to be empty with the exception of a single chair that sits facing the door. It's rather puzzling until Ingrge's keen eyes spot a small set of peepholes in the door and then it hits him that this was likely some sort of guard post for the mansion.

Meanwhile, outside, Abaal edges a little ways down the porch to the east to see what he can see. As he peers around the corner he notes that a section of the porch widens as it leads up to another, more nondescript door. This entrance doesn't look to have been a major thoroughfare into the mansion; rather, it seems that it might have functioned as some manner of service entrance.

Current Map
______________

Sorry about that Abaal!

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp 53/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

Abaal moves into the room, puts his back to the wall and slides open the door beside him with his blade (assuming it is a sliding door, otherwise he tries opening it regardless). He might be on the other side of the door depending upon how it opens.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

After having peeked around the corner outside Abaal moves into the mansion proper with Akazim, Ingrge, and Hanlin. Seeing that Ingrge is already in the process of investigating what lies behind one of the doors the fearless swordsman decides to take the door directly opposite of the entrance. Careful to stand to one side, he slowly slides the door open with the blade of his sword...

The ceiling of this large spacious area extends two stories high, with staircases on the north and south walls leading to an overlooking balcony. A rock garden dominates the center of the room; a large wooden frame filled with clean sand and large stones, moss, and pruned trees. Adding to the sense of luxury, paintings and woodcuts adorn the eastern wall. A balcony on the second floor overlooks the garden from the east side.

On the ground floor there is no exterior western wall; rather, it opens out to a wooden porch and another outdoor garden. You realize that this must be the atrium that you saw from the road during your earlier approach. From what you can see, there appear to be at least three more doors exiting this room - two that lead to the east and one that leads towards the north.

It's strange...this room looks rather well-kept, unlike the entry hall. In fact, you can even see a wooden extending rake leaning against the wall in the southeastern corner.

Current Map
______________

The two red arrows indicate a route up to the second-floor balcony~


Spells -/6 | Greater Invisibility 3/3 (Active, 0/3 rounds)| Alignment CG HP 39/39 | AC 24 (T 17 FF 20) | Saves 6/8/7 | Perception +11 | Init +3 | Riddywhipple, Faerie Dragon familiar (Master) |

Someone must be using this space. Riddywhipple's telepathy reaches out to the party as and he and Cirri look at the atrium.

Keep your wits about you- someone must be here. That waitress and her allies, perhaps?

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 56/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha peeks through the door that Abaal opened. The open atrium looks pleasant. Under different circumstances he would like to spend some time in contemplation and meditation in that peaceful area. The strong sense of foreboding, however, turns him away and back towards the other doors in the first room.

"Ingrge, what is in there?"

He blinks in surprise as Riddywhipple's voice in his head and then instinctively looks to the little creature near Cirri. "What? The waitress is here?"

The Exchange

Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 12/14 :: Abj 6/6 | Spells 1 = 5 / 6 :: 2 = 5 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

Satisfied that nothing will be coming at them from the small guard room, Akazim joins Abaal and the others at the atrium doorway. Upon seeing the luxurious paintings and woodcuts that adorn the eastern wall, curiosity overcomes caution and he enters to examine them.

He leans his glaive against the wall between two of the most interesting pieces of artwork and withdraws a jeweler's loupe from his pack. Setting it to his eye he begins looking for an artist's chop or any other identifying information.

Appraise: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25

Unless, of course, something else "happens" when he enters the room.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

Hanlin heads inside the atrium with the others, drawn to its openness and beauty. He looks around from the top of the platform as Akazim gets a closer look. "Is it legit? No one likes a forgery..."

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

With there still being no sign of Seiko, the mysterious waitress Kimie or anyone else, Akazim decides to brave the atrium and cautiously steps inside to have a look around. As the scholar moves to examine some of the paintings and woodcuts along the eastern wall Hanlin steps into the room as well, keeping an eye out for his companion.

But nothing happens. All is quiet, except for the occasional, faint cry of a bird somewhere in the distance.

During his perusal of the woodcuts Akazim notes two in particular that are of exquisite quality and bear the mark of an artist known for his landscapes during a time where most other practitioners of the art favored scenes featuring beautiful women and popular actors. He estimates that each piece would easily fetch 665 gold apiece from the right buyer.

Current Map

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp 53/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

"Let us move on. Akazim, collect your trinkets later, and check those doors." Abaal moves across to far elevated walkway, and carefully opens the northern door.

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge, thinking the door to the north might lead to one of the connecting rooms in the atrium that Akazim and Abaal are exploring, carefully opens it and peers inside...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (5) + 21 = 26

The Exchange

Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 12/14 :: Abj 6/6 | Spells 1 = 5 / 6 :: 2 = 5 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

"Oh, they're definitely authentic, my good friend. And fairly valuable to the right collector. Or museum, of course. Though art isn't my specialty, I'm familiar with the artist. Considered now to have been well ahead of his time and willing to take risks with his art...."

His impromptu art history lesson is cut short by Abaal's curt admonition reminding him to get back to the business at hand.

"Ah, yes... of course." He hefts his glaive and with a final look at the contrast of the vibrant orange against the stark white snow, he moves to join Abaal at the door.

Trinkets! These are incredibly valuable art works. That barbarian wouldn't know great art if it walked up and kissed him. And then he'd probably just kill it, either way. But I will make sure to come back this way to collect those for the museum.

"We haven't seen any sign of Seiko yet. Troubling, isn't it?" he quietly asks the Sword of Katapesh.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 6/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight

"What good is having a fine manor without some fancy art to decorate it with right?" Hanlin moves down to open the nearest door. So odds this blows up in my face... He keeps his shield up just in case there's an arrow waiting for him on the other side.

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/4 | Arcane Pool 9/10 | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 (Active) | GM Folio Reroll +2 | HP 75/78 | AC 25, T 13, FF 24 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (7 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

Cirri feels really conflicted. Akazim had a good conversation going, but Abaal is right- this place is probably haunted, so she can't be too careful.

101 to 150 of 350 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP Gameday VIII] GM Ladile & the Pathfinder Society Present: The Haunting of Hinojai All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.