[PbP Gameday VIII] GM Ladile & the Pathfinder Society Present: The Haunting of Hinojai

Game Master Lady Ladile

Maps & Handouts


301 to 350 of 423 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

You can definitely see the shadow of something that's actually in the water, at the bottom of the pool. It looks vaguely chest-shaped but who knows what it actually might be...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3
Akazim wrote:
"Hanlin, my friend, this is quite valuable. I'm sure you could easily get 1,500 gold for it. If you could cart it away from here, of course," he finishes sadly noting its weight. "Perhaps we could come back for it. After we deal with The Mistress."

"Is it Akazim?" Comments Hanlin with a grin when Akazim mentions the scopes worth. "Well, its for the best I guess, we should be looting this place of all its furniture. Better off that we hopefully solve these dark riddles and maybe the town can put this place to use again."

He does comment on its usefulness of spying on the road "Makes sense it saw us coming with this. Quite the view of the road from here with it." He uses his holy cloak to wipe away any smudges he may have made.

Akazim wrote:
"Is that a shadow in the water? Of a chest, or something that size and shape? It's hard to say for sure."

Perception, DC20: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Hanlin leans over his shoulder and looks inside "I can't say for certain, all I see is a great way to pick up an infection. Maybe back in its hey day a good spot to unwind or spend some quality time with a lovely lady." He waggles his eyebrow a bit.

"But the smell, man, this must be where they put all that dang vinegar. Or maybe its a version of that toilet bowl gin I hear about when I visit the prison."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (14) + 21 = 35

”Aye, Akazim...I see it as well...not sure exactly what it may be though...”

Ingrge moves quietly and cautiously towards the pool, bow ready to fire at the first sign of trouble...

Stealth: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (3) + 21 = 24

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/3 | Arcane Pool 7/10 (Active) | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 | GM Folio Reroll +2 | +2 Flaming Quarterstaff | Bless Weapon, 7 minutes HP 63/78 | AC 24, T 15, FF 23 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (2 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

Cirri lands. "Bah. I missed it all." Her features return to her normal human form. "Uh, where to next?"

Cirri doesn't know what to make of the bloodstains and the dust. Did someone die here? Or was it abandoned? Who is the mistress of that wayang? Who kidnapped Seiko?

K Nature: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

Someone points at the thing in the water, and Cirri looks down. "Wait. If a body of water is that clear, with no algae or mold growing on it..." she thinks. "I don't think that's water. It's too toxic."

She pulls out her staff and casts Mirror Image, conjuring 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 images around her.

Then she approaches the edge of the pool and lowers a stick into the "water".

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |
Akazim wrote:
"Is that a shadow in the water? Of a chest, or something that size and shape? It's hard to say for sure," he tells the others.

perception: 1d20 ⇒ 11

"Where? Can you prod it with your pole-arm?"


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Behind the Scenes:

Akazim: 1d20 + 13 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 13 - 4 = 20

Akazim: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31
Hanlin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Ingrge: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (14) + 21 = 35
Abaal: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Malusha: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Cirri: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Riddywhipple: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

Hanlin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Ingrge: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Akazim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Abaal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Malusha: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Cirri: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Worried that the dank, dingy water in the pool isn't really water, Cirri conjures multiple images that mimic her every move before carefully dipping a stick(?) into the pool. It slides right into the water, which ripples silently. Other than that, nothing happens.

At first.

But then, as if reacting to the group's interest, an eerie mist begins to rise from the water as the temperature in the room sharply drops. Akazim is the first to notice this, slightly ahead of everyone else, but Cirri, Riddywhipple, Ingrge, and even Hanlin and Malusha notice it. It's another haunt!
______________

Surprise Round

Akazim
Cirri (Mirror Image; 7 images)
Malusha
Ingrge

==============
Haunt
==============
Hanlin (Daylight)

Akazim, Cirri + Riddywhipple, Malusha and Ingrge are UP!

Ground Floor

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

Good to see that Abaal is totally unaffected by this encounter. I'll just let him sit back then and soak it all in. {Snaps for some peeled grapes.}

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/3 | Arcane Pool 7/10 (Active) | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 | GM Folio Reroll +2 | +2 Flaming Quarterstaff | Bless Weapon, 7 minutes HP 63/78 | AC 24, T 15, FF 23 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (2 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

”Oh no!” Cirri shrieks.

Cirri grabs her vial of holy water, uncorks it and dumps the contents into the pool.

”Oh man, I hope I did that right. Riddy, stay outside with the wand.” She waves him off. Riddy doesn't need to be told twice.

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Just as at the front gate, Malusha responds to the haunt immediately by calling on the grace of Sarenrae. He raises his hands and waves of divine energy emanate from them.

channel to harm haunt: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 2, 6) = 11 +8 against undead, if that applies

The Exchange

Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 10/14 :: Abj 4/6 | Spells 1 = 4 / 6 :: 2 = 4 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

I'll prod /you/ with my pole-arm, you barbarous lout, Akazim thinks to himself as he considers the chest lurking in the depths.

When Cirri disrupts the restless spirit, he quickly channels a tiny bit of his own spirit into the ancient weapon as he brings it down in a sweeping arc.

To Hit vs AC 10*: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Damage: 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

* This is the first time I've used this feat, and it's not a common one, so I've never seen it in use. Hence I had to look up the haunt rules to see what the targeted AC should be. I still can't find the original source, but d20pfsrd says: "...and attacks that require a successful attack roll to work must strike AC 10 in order to affect the haunt..."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge draws a holy water flask from his bandolier...

Surprise round is just a standard action OR a move action, correct?

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

Surprise!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Yes, just a Standard *or* a Move; so Cirri can pull out her holy water but she won't have time to pour it into the pool on this round.

As the mist rises both Ingrge and Cirri instinctively go for the vials of holy water they carry on their persons. Malusha channels Sarenrae's power and sends a wave of positive energy through the room and, in a move you've not seen before, Akazim brings his glaive-guisarme slicing down through the mist...and actually seems to dissipate some of it!

But it's not quite enough.

The mist - now more of a heavy fog than a mist - continues to rise and the very air in the room shimmers...

The figures of several men and women slowly appear within the waters of the pool, casually relaxing as they engage in spirited conversation with one another. Nearby, an attractive Tien woman sits in a lounging chair at the pool's eastern edge. She seems largely uninterested in conversation, instead apparently content to sit and watch her guests enjoying themselves, a strange, enigmatic smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

There's a small splash as one of the bathers, a young woman, rises to her feet in order to exit the pool. But her look of cheer is replaced by a look of puzzlement as she stumbles in her efforts to move towards the pool's steps. The puzzlement then changes to surprise and fear as she then staggers and falls back into the water with a much louder splash; several heads swivel towards the noise, curious as to what's going on. As she surfaces, she rolls onto her back and desperately attempts to raise her head above the water.

<"H...help! I can't...can't move my legs or arms-!">

Several of the other guests begin to try moving towards the floundering woman but one by one, they too start to succumb to whatever strange malady has suddenly been visited upon the gathering. Limbs grow stiff and immovable, first preventing them from moving and then, slowly, preventing them from keeping themselves afloat in the water.

<"Oh gods, help! Help us! Minasako, please, help us!"> numerous voices cry, begging for their hostess to deliver them from what promises to be a grisly fate.

But the Tien woman simply sits and smiles as she watches the horrific scene play out in front of her, making no move to help.

<"Yes, go ahead and beg for your lives,"> she laughs. <"Weep and curse the gods themselves for all the good it will do you! Weep as I mourn for the years I devoted to this organization! And for what? To grow old and die? In my mercy, I will spare you one of those fates!">

The guests in the pool begin to slip underneath the water and the panicked cries are replaced by the sickening sounds of gurgling and choking as they begin to drown...

The vision then fades as numerous spectral visages coagulate above the pool in a swirling miasma of tangled limbs and frozen screams...and then the mist surrounds you all, stinging, burning, obscuring your vision as well as hampering your movements! It even stretches out through the doorway, enveloping Malusha and Hanlin too.

Acid Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 2) = 3

Optional Mood Music

Everything in a 30 ft. radius from the pool's center is obscured in mist, which acts as both Solid Fog and Acid Fog. So all sight, including darkvision, is obscured beyond 5 ft. and the entire area counts as Difficult Terrain.
______________

Surprise Round

Akazim (-3)
Cirri (-3; Mirror Image; 7 images)
Malusha (-3)
Ingrge (-3)
==============
Haunt (-28)
==============
Hanlin (-3; Daylight)

Hanlin is UP!

Ground Floor

Depending on Hanlin's action we'll then proceed into regular rounds where even Abaal gets to participate ;)

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

Hanlin looks up from cleaning the last bits of snow and ice from his boots just in time to see a weird vision and a stinging mist slap him in the face. "Another Haunt? At least they explain some of the mysteries of this place!"

In typical spell caster fashion, Hanlin raises his holy symbol and tries to push back the haunt before backing himself up slowly in the fog.

Channel vs Haunt: 4d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 1, 5) = 17

Will Save DC22 vs Undead for 4d6+7 Damage, Ignore Channel Resistance.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Though he wasn't quite fast enough to react before the haunt and its nasty, acidic fog fully manifested, Hanlin is still quick enough to send his own wave of positive energy into the room. It washes through the area, totally dissolving the abnormally thick fog as it does.

And the room falls silent once more, a slight ripple in the pool and the burning sensation in your skin the only evidence that anything happened here at all.

Combat Over!

Ground Floor

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

"Ah. Great work. The power of the light is powerful indeed!" He offers up a high five to his fellow light slinging cleric Malusha.

"Correct me if I'm wrong here, but was that woman who killed all those people the one who owned this place? And most likely the Mistress we've heard about?" Hanlin tries to get his facts straight without looking back through his notes.

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/3 | Arcane Pool 7/10 (Active) | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 | GM Folio Reroll +2 | +2 Flaming Quarterstaff | Bless Weapon, 7 minutes HP 63/78 | AC 24, T 15, FF 23 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (2 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

Cirri fumbles with her holy water. "Fog? I can handle fog!" Cirri raises her staff and puts it down as Hanlin dismisses it. "Oh, I was going to blow it away..."

She puts her liquid away. "So. Minasako? Is that the mistress? Did she grow bitter in her years of service?" Cirri thinks.

"Well, if I don't notice any more magic in the water, I can swim down and try to grab what's down there."

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27

Assuming no one stops her, Cirri casts Monkey Fish and swims down there.

This gives me a 10 foot swim and climb speed.

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha moves his hands in front of his face as if to fend off the roiling fog but his defense is ineffectual. As the fog washes over him, and the image portrayed by the haunt plays in vivid color, the acid stings his skin. Before he can react, he hears Hanlin calling on his deity and Malusha feels the surge of divine energy.

When the fog fades Hanlin approaches him with a big smile on his face. Malusha clumsily returns the high five. He looks a little embarrassed at his attempt. He nods. "Yes, that is what I've found. The power of the divine is amazing."

"I think you guys are right about the woman. Have we heard the name Minasako before?"

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

"So Akazim," Abaal begins again as if nothing happened. "Can you prod it with your pole-arm? Never mind. It seems that Cirri's sense of smell is not as sensitive as mine."

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge puts his flask away, readies his bow, and takes a closer look at the item in the pool...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (15) + 21 = 36


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Reminder that everyone is still down 3 HP since both Hanlin & Malusha channeled vs. undead and not for the living.

After taking another moment to collect yourselves - and perhaps thank whatever god(s) you may worship that what you just experienced wasn't more painful or dangerous - several of you turn your attention back to the mysterious chest-shaped object in the center of the pool. Neither Cirri nor anyone else detects any magic emanating from within, though it seems reasonable to assume that the haunt you encountered will eventually replenish itself at some point.

With Ingrge covering her, Cirri grants herself superior swimming capabilities and takes the plunge into the murky water. Though dirty, the water in the pool otherwise seems normal and actually isn't too terribly deep - maybe 5 ft. at most in the center and 3 ft. around the edges. She has little trouble locating what is, in fact, a chest submerged within the pool. It's rather heavy and it takes a joint effort to haul it out of the pool and onto the tiled floor nearby.

A thorough examination for traps, magical and otherwise, yields nothing but the chest is fitted with a lock.

While a few of you work on the chest, others among you take the opportunity to check the nearby trio of doors that lead back towards the west. The first and third doors lead back into the restrooms you found earlier and the middle door leads into what seems to be a storage room that contains nothing of interest.

Went ahead and rolled you through that last little room to save some time. And you actually have heard the name Minasako before, as detailed in the Akazim spoiler here.

Ground Floor

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge checks the chest for traps...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 21 + 1 = 38

...and attempts to disarm if any are found or pick the lock if not...

Disable Device: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (19) + 18 = 37

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

"Odd place for long term storage don't you think?" Hanlin watches their resident lock expert, scout, and gatling gun probing for a weakness in the lock.

"Seems the Mistress thinks someone's a liar and went off the deep end because of it. I still think she could be some sort of vampire or the like with those bite marks we've seen." He looks to the others for any other ideas.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Once he's certain that there aren't any traps to be found on the chest, Ingrge works on the lock and...

*click*

...easily pops it open! Opening the chest reveals a surprisingly large sum of gold, easily several thousands. If you take a little more time to actually count it out, the sum total comes to 4,250 gold. Quite a haul!

Ground Floor

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

"Wow! The question is, is that a nest egg or bribe money..." Hanlin ponders the thought before considering their next move.

"Weren't there some stairs up over at the atrium?" At least that's my estimation on those red arrows?


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Yep, the only other way to go now is up!

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/3 | Arcane Pool 7/10 (Active) | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 | GM Folio Reroll +2 | +2 Flaming Quarterstaff | Bless Weapon, 7 minutes HP 63/78 | AC 24, T 15, FF 23 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (2 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

”Alright, that was fun!” Cirri emerges from the pool. ”Someone pass me some rope so I can haul the chest up.”

”So we know who Minasako is. Did she... grow bitter as the way of the Kirin representative? Maybe she thinks they are liars...” Cirri frowns. ”Man, this gets worse and worse...”

The Exchange

Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 10/14 :: Abj 4/6 | Spells 1 = 4 / 6 :: 2 = 4 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

Troubled by the vision revealed to them by the spirits in the pool, Akazim is uncharacteristically uninterested in the opening of the chest. Instead he stands staring at the water in the pool, collecting his thoughts and considering what they've learned.

He shrinks his glaive down to dagger size, pockets it, and begins to think aloud, a practice you've observed of him before.

"The masseuse said that Minasako’s influence in the area began to wane when the Way of the Kirin could no longer provide the kind of support she'd come to rely on. Then one day she simply vanished. No remains were ever found," he says each sentence while extending his long, thin fingers one at a time to count off facts.

"The Minasako in the vision said 'Weep as I mourn for the years I devoted to this organization! And for what? To grow old and die?'"

He pauses in contemplation, watching the water as the ripples from Cirri's exploration fade out.

"She was bitter at the impending death of the Way. She thought the leadership had deceived her somehow. And she was afraid to die, herself. Sobo-san said that there were rumors of strange new advisers. Priests of undeath; necromancers; agents of extra-planar entities: any of these are possibilities."

He tilts his head as a thought occurs to him. "Perhaps this was a ritual to harvest her victims' life energies to extend her own."

He nods to the dripping Cirri. "Assuming Minasako is The Mistress and our waitress, who is the wayang and what is his role in all this?" he posits rhetorically, well aware that none of them knows. Yet.

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |
Cirri Merryweather wrote:
”Alright, that was fun!” Cirri emerges from the pool. ”Someone pass me some rope so I can haul the chest up.”

Abaal's got silk rope he can offer.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

"Yup it sure sounds like we're dealing with a very, very angry woman. Scarier than most the devils in hell and the daemons as well." He raises his holy symbol to the sky and invokes Iomedae's blessing, just in case she took that the wrong way.

"Let's double check the girl then head upstairs. I have a feeling we'll be meeting the Mistress sooner than later."

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge nods to Akazim. "Might also explain the vinegar we saw in the kitchen...vinegar can be used as a preservative in addition to pickling...perhaps she is using it to somehow preserve her life in some fashion?"

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

"If she's picklin' herself maybe we should just put out a 'free pickles' sign at the nearest goblin camp and be done with the place!" He tries to keep a straight face, but that just isn't in his nature.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Behind the Scenes:

Akazim: 1d20 + 13 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 13 - 4 = 12

Hanlin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Ingrge: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (4) + 21 = 25
Akazim: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15
Abaal: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Malusha.: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Cirri: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Riddywhipple: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

With nowhere else to go but up you tuck the chest and its contents away into a nearby corner, to be retrieved later when this entire sordid mess is finished. Though Akazim can tell you that nothing has tripped the Alarm spell that he put in place you still take the time to check on Seiko before proceeding any further; the poor girl is just as you left her - seriously weakened but otherwise stable and unharmed.

The nearby atrium is also as you left it, empty and quiet. As before, Ingrge takes the lead and scours the area for traps and other hazards as you begin to ascend the stairs to the second floor balcony but nothing seems amiss. You proceed upward, single file, to reach the balcony and a small landing. A solitary door leads further into the second floor of the house.

All is quiet.

Ingrge & Malusha:

As you stand on the landing (or just below it on the stairs in Malusha's case) you begin to hear something...

<"H͍̤̰͜e͠ehe̫̩̣̝ͅe̪h̕e̡̲̹̖͎̩e.̩͇.̗̘͉̬̬͍.͖͙͉̙͇͞"">

...it sounds like giggling.

<"̙̪̗̺̝C̲̪͔a͖̞͡n̙̗͞ ̢y̺̹̣̜͟o̸̮͖͇̣ư͖̯̫͎ ̡f̲̘̟i͘n̸̲̗̰d̲̫̩̖ m̛͈̲e̬̟̕,̦̯͍͈͈ ̩̠l͉̲̞͓̼̻͝ͅo̮͙̫̫͚̦v͓̲̰̘͇̰͜er̵͇̖͕̺̤?̜͟ ">

You hear a feminine voice, the same voice that you've heard in the other visions you've witnessed....

<"͏̞̝̲͕̯̣J͖̱̜̝̱͍u̥̩͖ș̡̦͚̭̺t͡ ̴̹̜͉͉̺̪f̮̞̘͇̖͖͢ǫ͈̱̠̰͔l͔̠̝̪͈͢l̛̹̰̘o̯̯̳͚̠̟̯w͡ ̞̥͔̲͞t͈͍̀h̙̲̮̳̰͉̭e͈̰͉̞ ̹͕̟̪̥͘s̻̘͇̼̗o̧͕̙̤̻̩͍ú̫n͔̳͕̩̰d̢͚̝͍̭ ͉͔̮o̜̝͓͖̳̩̩͜f̲̥͉̼ ̹̞m̫̟̱̫̤̣̕y͉̮ ̫̪̟̹v̞͖̯͖͜o̮̖͇̥̗̱i̖͡c͘e̫.̭̖.҉̺̞̻̫ͅ.̫̹̭h͕e̪̲̥̫̝e̼̟͍̩̰͙̦h̙̲̕e̡̦͙̝̪ȩ͓͉͈h̷̺̦̗̙ e̴e̡̙.̤̙̗̮͈̳͠ͅ.̥̠̯̤͢.̛̹̬ ">

...accompanied by the sound of footsteps, too loud and heavy to belong to a woman.

Second Floor
______________

I placed you on the map in the marching order designated on the slides but please feel free to adjust your positions if you would have moved/stopped somewhere else.

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha pauses midstep. "Wait! What is she saying? That's the same voice we heard before. Do you think it's Minasako?"

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge frowns. "Sounds like her...but sounds like something much larger might be in the other side of this door. Or is this yet another haunt?

"Abaal, would you mind opening the door and stepping to the side as you do? That way I can fire if something hostile awaits us and you won't be in a potential enemy's line of fire..."

Ingrge will check out the door and then step back 5', bow ready to fire depending upon what is revealed...

Perception: 1d20 + 21 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 21 + 1 = 28

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

Hanlin looks around as the others discuss what they're hearing "Hear what? Gimme a quick sec." He draws out a holy looking wand and activates it. A brief shimmering cloud of bubbles float down on the group, Blessing them for the next minute.

So many holy protections.. but I should wait to see what we're facing. No sense in wasting more like I did earlier.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Actually, as Ingrge and Malusha strain to find the source of the noises they suddenly realize that the temperature in the air is beginning to drop again...

Who Goes First?:

Ingrge: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Malusha: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

______________

Surprise Round

Malusha
Ingrge

==============
Haunt!

Active Condition: None

Malusha and Ingrge may act!

Second Floor

Grand Lodge

Male Half-Elf LG Urban Ranger 4/Zen Archer 3 | HP:49/52 AC:24 T:17 FF:17 | CMB:8 CMD:25 | F:+8 R:+13 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+8 | Per: +21

Ingrge draws a flask of holy water from his bandolier as he yells out, ”’Ware, another haunt!”

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha shudders in fear, not for the first time. "This place is overrun with these haunting images. I only hope that Sarenrae's divine grace extends enough for us to survive them." He holds his hands out in supplication and draws on the divine energy.

channel to harm haunt, sun's blessing: 4d6 + 8 ⇒ (6, 6, 5, 3) + 8 = 28


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

You guys are scary-good at this channel thing :)

In what is becoming an all-too-common occurrence, Ingrge calls a warning to the rest of you as he reaches for a flask of holy water. Luckily Malusha is able to respond quickly, channeling Sarenrae's divine grace to drive away the malevolent spirits. As positive energy washes over yourselves, the landing, and the top few stairs there's a brilliant flash of light and the air next to the balcony shimmers and swirls into another vision...

A Tien woman in a flowing nightgown appears on the landing, her arm outstretched towards the nearby open door, her lips curving in a mocking smile.

<"Come Kiyaga, you can do better than this,"> the woman laughs, speaking to someone as-yet-unseen. <"Does the Way not train you to fight without the use of sight? Then find me! Follow my voice!">

The sound of heavy, shuffling footfalls can be heard and then a man emerges from beyond the open door. Fit, muscular, and handsome, he's dressed only in his undergarments. His eyes are open but stare blankly, a milky haze covering them both, and his own arms are outstretched as he seeks his tormentor.

<"Why???"> the man cries, anguish etched into his features as he stumbles blindly forward. <"I loved you, loved you more than any other! Why would you do this to me!?">

The cruel, mocking expression on the woman's face falters slightly at the man's words...but then hardens.

<"Oh Kiyaga. Times change. People change. But you *have* been...very dear to me. And *such* a good sport. Come, all you need do is catch me and I will lift the cloud over your vision. But then you must leave and never darken my door again!">

As she speaks these words, the woman begins to move...placing herself next to the balcony railing.

<"Find me, my love...you're so very, very close...">

The man, Kiyaga, lurches forward with outstretched arms towards the sound of the woman's voice. At the last second she ducks under his grasp and the man's momentum takes him into the balcony's railing and over it. A bloodcurdling scream fills the air, cut short by a loud *CRUNCH*.

Gliding back over to the railing, the Tien woman gazes down below, her expression unreadable.

<"Kiyaga...you should never have returned here...">

...and then the vision fades.

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |
GM Ladile wrote:
The man, Kiyaga, lurches forward with outstretched arms towards the sound of the woman's voice. At the last second she ducks under his grasp and the man's momentum takes him into the balcony's railing and over it. A bloodcurdling scream fills the air, cut short by a loud *CRUNCH*.

Reflexively Abaal puts his big hand over the eyes of his youngest-seeming companion.

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

Hanlin winces, the general scene of the vision striking closer than he'd admit, but he's an adult and he could do what he wanted during his downtime. "Great work Maloo." He gives a head nod towards the door, assuming someone was going to continue on to open it.

Glad I don't know any women like her.. hopefully.

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/3 | Arcane Pool 7/10 (Active) | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 | GM Folio Reroll +2 | +2 Flaming Quarterstaff | Bless Weapon, 7 minutes HP 63/78 | AC 24, T 15, FF 23 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (2 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

Cirri squirms uncomfortably as the vision fades. "Why... why did she do all this? She could have just walked away."


Spells -/4 | Greater Invisibility 2/3 | Alignment CG HP 39/39 | AC 24 (T 17 FF 20) | Saves 6/8/7 | Perception +11 | Init +3 | Riddywhipple, Faerie Dragon familiar (Master) |

"That wasn't even funny." Riddywhipple mourns.

The Exchange

Male N Half-Elf Occultist (Battle-Host) 8 | HP: 75/75 | AC: 25 (T 12 / FF 24) | CMB: +10, CMD: 22 | F: +13, R: +6, W: +9 | Speed 30ft | Mental Focus: Trans 10/14 :: Abj 4/6 | Spells 1 = 4 / 6 :: 2 = 4 / 6 :: 3 = 3/3| Active conditions: None

"'Times change. People change,'" Akazim echoes Minasako's words contemplatively and without the cruelty of her voice.

"What happened to change her from the caring noble fighting for an oppressed underclass to someone so cruel as to do *that* to someone she clearly had some feelings for?" he asks, again rhetorically, but with some hope that they will get answers. At some point.

When he goes to scratch his chin, though, he realizes that he still has a bit of acid burn on his neck. Withdrawing a wand from his pack, he flexes the fingers of his left hand. The glove on that hand appears to have an arcane pattern in very fine wire woven across the palm and around the fingers. The wires seem to glow very slightly as he flicks the wand.

UMD, mw tool*: 1d20 + 17 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 17 + 2 = 25

Tool*:

He has a masterwork tool for the UMD skill. In order to be legal, it has to have a limited purpose. So these Thaumatic Gloves are only for the Use a Wand activity of UMD. In addition, they occupy the hand slot, which while not required is a price I'm currently willing to pay for the bonus. At +19, even a Natural 1 does not trigger the lock out provision, since it states: "if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, ..."

As he places that wand back in its appointed place in his pack, he notices two other wands, one of which he hands to Malusha before using the third on himself.

"My friend, I fear we may have need of this, and I don't want to have to rummage about for it if we do. It is the spell of daylight, should Minasako or the wayang attempt to plunge us into darkness."

As he uses the third wand himself, he comments to the others that before Abaal opens the door, perhaps they should all prepare themselves for what may lie beyond.

Taking average healing from the first wand of Cure Light Wounds to cure the acid fog damage. The third wand is shield.

Scarab Sages

Male Human Cleric (Sarenrae) /8 | HP: 26/59 | AC: 20 T: 14 FF: 17 | CMB: +6 CMD: 20 | Fort: +8 Ref: +5 Will: +11 | Init: +4 Perc: +12

Malusha takes the wand from Akazim. He looks at Hanlin's breastplate that seems to be glowing with the same spell. "Thanks. I hope we won't be in a situation where we need both of these but it doesn't hurt to be careful."

He turns his focus back to the unopened door. "I suppose I don't have to say this but I really don't like this Minasako woman."

Dark Archive

Male Human (Keleshite) Fighter (two-handed) 6 | hp -15/56 | AC 19, T 14, FF 15 | CMD 23 (25 v sunder) | F +9, R +7, W +4 | Spd 30' (40' land)| Init +3 | KnArc +7, KnDun +6, KnPla +6, KnRel +6, Perc +0, SensM +0, Spcft +8 |

"Then let us end this."

The tall Keleshite steps forward, raises his huge, black, adamantine blade, and brings it down upon the door.

+1 adamantine falchion v door (overhand chop, power attack): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20 damage (ignores hardness 20 or less): 2d4 + 16 ⇒ (4, 2) + 16 = 22

Assuming it is destroyed, and depending upon what is on the other side, he moves in. If necessary he has a second attack available if the first didn't break the door completely.


Venture-Agent, Play-by-Post | League Group | TL;DR Group | Shore to Sea | Haunting of Hinojai

Now resolved, more than ever, to finish your exploration of Hinojai and put an end to the pain that once occurred here, you collect yourselves and prepare to press on. Abaal decides to forgo subtlety as he simply hacks through the sliding door that leads further into the house, sundering it entirely.

Closed sliding doors are set in all four walls of this stark room. The wood paneled floor is bare, but on the walls hang paintings depicting life and romance in the court of some great empire. The room appears to be empty and so Abaal takes a cautious step forward...and as he places his foot on the floor the faint sound of chirping and warbling birdsong is heard.

Behind the Scenes:

Hanlin: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Ingrge: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Akazim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
Abaal: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Malusha: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Cirri: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Blue: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Red: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

And then there's a mighty fumbling and crashing as the doors to the north and south slide open to reveal a pair of armored skeletons. Cold blue light shines from within empty eye sockets and they raise their finely crafted katanas in unison!

Kn. Religion (DC 17):

These skeletons, which appear to have once been human, are skeletal champions.

For every 5 that you exceed the above DC you recall one piece of information from this list.

Before Abaal has a chance to either withdraw or charge forward, Red maneuvers himself into the nearby corner and delivers a mighty blow against the swordsman!

Red vs. Abaal: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (20) + 21 = 41
Damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Crit!?: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (9) + 21 = 30
Damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
______________

Round 1

Skeleton Red
==============
Hanlin (Daylight)
==============
Skeleton Blue
==============
Akazim (Shield)
Abaal (-27)
Ingrge (Cirri's Ward Hex)
Malusha
Cirri (Mirror Image; 7 images) + Riddywhipple

Active Conditions: None

Environmental Conditions: None

Hanlin is UP!

Current Map

Grand Lodge

Cirri's Familiar | Spells -/6/3/3 | Arcane Pool 7/10 (Active) | Flight Hex minutes 7/9 | GM Folio Reroll +2 | +2 Flaming Quarterstaff | Bless Weapon, 7 minutes HP 63/78 | AC 24, T 15, FF 23 | Saves 6/7/7 | CMD 24 (26 vs trip) | Perception +7 | Init +1 | Female Human Magus 9 | Alignment NG |Mirror Image (2 images) 9 minutes | Ward on Ingrge

"Sure, we can lose the subtlety." Cirri scratches her head as Abaal decides it's time for action.

She recoils as two skeletons come to life (well, as close as they can get to "life") and one attacks Abaal. "Ah man, more ghosts!"

Silver Crusade

Male Human Cleric 7 HP 52/52 | AC (24)21, T 12, FF 19 |Wands: CLW: 34/50 Bless: 29/50 Prot Evil: 50/50 Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +10 ToG 6/6 Channel 3/9 | Effects: Comprehend Languages, Daylight, Shield of Faith +3

"Get out of there Abaal!" Hollers Hanlin as he moves forward just enough to reach in and heal some of his fresh wounds.

Convert Mass Resist Energy to Cure Serious: 3d8 + 7 ⇒ (8, 6, 1) + 7 = 22

Hanlin used his wand of bless just before the haunt activated. I think it should be still churning at least for a few rounds.

Hanlin draws his shield.

K Religion DC17: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

"Those are skeletal champions, I'm pretty sure I know of their special attacks."

301 to 350 of 423 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP Gameday VIII] GM Ladile & the Pathfinder Society Present: The Haunting of Hinojai All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.