[PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar] (Inactive)

Game Master Uktar

A tournament-style adventure for 11th-level characters, written by Tim Hitchcock


601 to 650 of 776 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

After the performances heal everyone, Mal suggests “ Wake them up one by one to question them, then turn them over to the emissary for justice.

Mal has a plus 7 intimidate, anyone better?

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

Daathiel would try for a while to catch her, but he would have no way of knowing in which direction to fly, so I imagine she would get away.
---
"Well done, all! Mal, that was extraordinary. Flora, Jeras, likewise. We were at a considerable disadvantage with them having the drop on us, and having the aid of that dragon, but we still prevailed."

"As to these ruffians, I could try to Charm one or more of them. Might make them more amenable to questioning. It would be nice to know where their wizardly friend might have run to.
Or we can let the Emissary handle this.
Marthysan, what do you recommend? Are you unhurt?"

He looks at their gear. They have Aspis badges, I assume? The note said "Aspis handoff."

Which also means that Flora and I have a special boon on other PCs that could have provided a Raise for anybody killed here... but that might have meant them sitting out the end of the module.

Daathiel has a +10 Intimidate, +21 Diplomacy, and +10 Bluff, all +2 more with Heroism. And of course Charm Person.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

Mal agrees with Daathiel,” Aye charms may work, and if not, I’d imagine we’ve proven menacing enough. Great job taking out that dragon you three. No one can withstand your full furry Jeras! You went all out Flora, putting your life on the line to blast that dragon out of the sky, well done! And Daathiel saved disaster with a timely spell. I can’t believe that I didn’t suggest to get a water walk from the emissary’s clerics or think to put up any additional wards.

Mal shakes his head at the last thoughts, “ Luck played an important role in our survival. We knew it was an ambush and didn’t prepare sufficiently. Foolish of me!

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"I will be dead without your help guys. Great teamwork! Thank you!"

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

I think Daathiel and I agreeing is probably good enough to commit to a course of action if no one objects. Daathiel has several first level slots remaining so charm person on either Risha or green, trying until it lands or we give up and go intimidation route. Risha looked to be the leader (or at least the gorumite listened to her), while green probably has the worst will. Did they all have the same color aspis badges? If Daathiel picks his new aspis best friend and says how many spell slots he is willing to use we can try good cop interrogation.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

Daathiel looks at his dagger with amusement. I don't think I've ever taken down a foe with this... but it distracted that dragon enough for Jeras to do his thing. He puts it away.

"If they are unconscious, their minds may still resist the Charm, but it might be easier for the enchantment to land as they will not actively perceive us in their field of vision as threats.
I will start with this Risha."

Using 2 spell slots on each. Only have 2 1st-level slots left, but have 2 2nd-level slots and can use those to cast 1st-level spells. Will DC 17.

Then he will try to bring them around (using any wands or potions of healing that they have on them). Starting with Risha.

"Hey there, Risha. Rough going. Looks like someone at the Consortium has it in for you, sending you on a mission like this without telling you who you were up against.
Maybe you've got a rival. Someone who doesn't want you to succeed. All kinds of politics in the Consortium.
Now, we've got some of that in the Society too, I won't lie. Still, I've never been set up for failure like you have been in this mission.
As you might realize, you're in a bit of trouble now. I'll do what I can to put in a good word for you. But I'll need you to be forthcoming. All the details about what you did, and what else you had planned to do. That's the only way I can help you keep your heads."

Diplomacy, Heroism: 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 21 + 2 = 32 I figure a Charm, if successful, will improve her starting attitude but will not automatically make her tell us everything.

If that doesn't work, he will have Mal knock her out, and then try with Darys.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Risha stirs, then turns toward Daathiel. "My, you are a handsome devil--I mean, angel, aren't you? You're certainly much more charming than I was led to believe Pathfinders could possibly be. Maybe after all this is over, you and I could go on a little holiday, take a tour of Tian Xia? After all, this was nothing personal, just business. The muckety-mucks at the Aspis Consortium sent us here to get in good with the Golden League while competing in the contest. After we learned about the brine dragon Huyanwo's long thwarted desire to dominate this island, we suspected he'd make a fine ally...though he was no match for you, my sweet angel." She bats her eyelashes at Daathiel.

"As for kidnapping Marthysan, it was part of our arrangement with the Golden League--they have some allies who want the paladin dead and the entire tournament destroyed. You'll note, we didn't kill him; just kidnapped him. It's not like we're assassins, just a large organization interested in making global contacts and acquiring antiquities...just like the Pathfinders!"

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

Mal just quietly whispers to Marthysan,” Ya got all that? Should we turn em’ over to the emissary now or do you have a different suggestion? I think either way we should rescue Daathiel from this situation

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

"And you, my dear, have skills and talents that would be greatly valued by the Society.
We would treat you better, I can promise you that.
A vacation does sound nice. And I do understand that this was just business and nothing personal.
But, one thing puzzles me. Perhaps you can shed some light on it. The Golden League makes money by fixing matches and controlling some of the gambling on the Tournament. Who are these 'allies' of theirs that want the Tournament destroyed? The Golden League would need a significant payoff to give up a lucrative racket like this."

And why Marthysan? What did he do? Well, he won. Perhaps we should ask him about the various contenders he defeated.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

"We never met these allies, but indeed, you're probably right about them paying a king's ransom to the Golden League. So cute and so smart...I can see why you're the leader of this group."

Marthysan thanks you all for the rescue, and suggests that the 3 Aspis Agents be turned over the the authorities for kidnapping--at the very least, it should disqualify them from tomorrow's competition. They were one of the four finalists.

As you escort the prisoners to the Emissary's minions, Marthysan regales you with what her remembers from The Ruby Phoenix Tournament from ten years ago. It was the 30th decennial games in 7201 ic (4701 ar), marking 300 years of the tradition. To honor the occasion, instead of the traditional 64 entrants, an extra round of competition was added, bringing the total number of competing teams to a record 128. In the last Ruby Phoenix Tournament, a sorceress from Lingshen was disqualified just prior to the final round for cheating. She swore vengeance upon her competitor, the de facto victor Marthysan the Righteous. While some believe she may strike soon, the event happened a decade ago, and many believe the sorceress has forgotten about the perceived slight or moved on. More than 30 of the 128 entrants in the thirtieth tournament perished in unrelated accidents, or exhibition combats not covered by the tournament’s strictures on ethics, honor, and safety. More than half of these deaths were attributed to the dragon Huyanwo, whose defeat has long been the ambition of Ruby Phoenix contestants hoping to make a name for themselves outside the arena. The 7201 tournament’s legacy was further clouded by a surprising number of gambling-related murders in Goka, attributed to a spike in organized criminal activities surrounding the games. Some believe the Golden League, one of the most influential criminal organizations in Tian Xia, has its sights set on ensuring this year’s tournament provides it even higher returns on its gambling books.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

After turning over the prisoners, the remainder of the night passes uneventfully.

The final day of the tournament is bright and sunny, with a clear sky and a crisp breeze on the air. The island is abuzz with talk of the events of last night—the battle on New Harbor’s piers and the resulting disqualification of Risha’s team. The crowds are larger today than they have been all week, and everyone is excited to see the semifinal and final rounds and the naming of the next Ruby Phoenix Champion.

Despite his ordeal last night, Marthysan sits at the Emissary’s side, opposite Kiang Zhen. While he looks worse for the wear, the paladin is
smiling and excited to pass his title on to another lucky competitor this afternoon: That's right, the semi-finals and final match will be fought today, along with any exhibitions and tests.

The fight stage is clear of obstacles, the field of battle left open for a true test of skill unhindered by terrain or other obstructions.
The crowd roars in anticipation of the day’s battles between the most skilled combatants of the tournament.

Standing across the field of battle is Ninja dude, who you first spotted in the Noodle House a lifetime (or 5 nights) ago.
.
You are led into the arena to the excited roar of the crowd. Before they can even settle down, the Emissary bellows, "BEGIN!"

Roll initiative, and you have 3 rounds of buffing, including the time you're lead into the ring. Please place yourselves inside the RED dotted box for your starting positions on
the map

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

Mal makes a satisfied exclaim after hearing Marthysan's tale," Cheaters didn't win that day, and they didn't win today either. I expect that the golden league has grave, nay, potentially fatal mistake in wronging a champion such as yourself. Its one thing to best a man when he sees no fight coming, but quite another to do so on the open field of combat."

Mal is quite relieved when he has a chance to rest and replenish his mystical and martial abilities through honest sleep, prayer, and quick katas.

As Mal floats in he sees the ninja as his opponent. Mal doesn't repeat his mistakes, and this time prepares sufficently. In the first round he casts heightened awareness from his wand. In the second, his eye sheen as he begins detecting invisibile foes. In the final round of preparation he casts shield from a wand, and swiftly activates his swordmaster's flair: blue scarf. As he finalizes his preparations, he is 5' off the ground and puts his arms up, acknowledging the crowd that has shown so much favor to the pathfinders so far, before returning to his everpresent snakelike posture, ready for a counter assault.

UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27

init: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 157/157 (66 nonlethal) | AC: 35 (18 T, 30 F) | Fortification: 30.% | CMD: 24 | F: 21, R: 17, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 6/12 | Internal Buffer 2/2 | Reroll 1/1

Just using my heightened awareness wand.

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 4 = 12


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Per discussion thread, looks like handwaving Flora's healing isn't an option (i.e. she's unconscious, and therefore cannot see and hear Soothing Performance). She needs 82 points of healing. Mal, I'm not certain what spells/fervor you might have available to do some of that, then can heal the rest with wands, I'd presume (unless someone else has idea/option?). It's the previous night, so spells and fervor will recover before this bout, of course.
Still go ahead and roll initiative and place yourself on the map in prep for the tourney match, but anyone with healing spells/abilities that they can use, let her rip, and then roll the wand healing...

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras drinks his potion of fly.

"I'm already sick of that potion and magic stuff!"

init: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Then he flies up 5 ft.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

I think Mal's point about Marthysan's healing is a good one; the guy's a high-level paladin, right?
And were there potions or wands on the Aspis agents that we can use?
If those options provide no healing, then we can wait until the morning when her NL burn is gone and then use Soothing Performance. Or else burn through some wands.

"No... I do not think this sorceress has forgotten about the slight. Not if Marthysan is being targeted. Let's be on our guard."

Daathiel's prep rounds are:
1) Echolocation
2) Heightened Awareness
3) Haste on party.

Initiative: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 7 + 4 = 25


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

After resting through the night, Marthysan is happy to heal up Flora the rest of the way. You square off against the ninja, and with a roar, the bout begins.

init: 1d20 ⇒ 10

. Current init order. BOLD may act,.
Daathiel , Haste
. NINJA!
. Mal , Hasted ;
. ]Flora: , Hasted ; [/b]
. Jeras flying, Hasted [/b]

Current Crowd Attitude:
Pathfinders: Friendly (+1 on saves, attacks, CMB, ability & skill checks)
Ninja: Indifferent
VICTORY POINTS:, Daathiel & Jeras: 4, Mal: 5, Flora:5

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

Daathiel moves forward and casts Ear-Piercing Scream on the ninja.
Damage: 5d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 1, 5, 5) = 14
Fort DC 17 for half damage and to negate the 1 round Daze.

Having (presumably) drawn first blood, Daathiel swoops a bit in the air, showing off for the crowd.
Performance, Friendly Crowd: 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 1 = 30


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

First blood if free action check, flashy sonic attack also allows a swift action check, if you want to make it Daathiel.

The crowd roars its approval as the bard unleashes his attack on the ninja before he can even act. Even the ninja is so impressed, he stands there in a daze...

This may be over very quickly
. Current init order. BOLD may act,.
. Daathiel , Haste Performance check avail
. NINJA! Dazed
Mal , Hasted ;
Flora: , Hasted ;
Jeras flying, Hasted

Current Crowd Attitude:
Pathfinders: Helpful (+2 on saves, attacks, CMB, ability & skill checks)
Ninja: Indifferent
VICTORY POINTS:, Daathiel & Jeras: 4, Mal: 5, Flora:5

fort: 1d20 ⇒ 9

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

Mal quickly runs off his carpet as it is not fast enough to keep up with him. As he moves up he executes a flying kick on the dazed ninja and hoping to keep momentum going for his team.

Attack,haste (crit 19-20): 1d20 + 22 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 22 + 1 = 35 Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

AC 36 atm, 40 vs melee attacks

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 157/157 (66 nonlethal) | AC: 35 (18 T, 30 F) | Fortification: 30.% | CMD: 24 | F: 21, R: 17, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 6/12 | Internal Buffer 2/2 | Reroll 1/1

Using her increased speed to close the distance, Flora tries to impale the ninja.

point blank/haste
Wood Blast: 1d20 + 18 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 18 + 1 + 1 = 31 Damage: 5d6 + 18 + 1 ⇒ (1, 1, 3, 4, 5) + 18 + 1 = 33

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras flies 60ft near Ninja so that he can be in flank with Mal.

+3 dagger adamantine - haste - flank: 1d20 + 20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 20 + 1 + 2 = 29
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14
sneak attack: 6d6 ⇒ (1, 4, 5, 4, 3, 5) = 22

Debilitating Injury (Ex)
Disoriented: The target takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls. In addition, the target takes an additional –2 penalty on all attack rolls it makes against the rogue. At 10th level and 16th level, the penalty on attack rolls made against the rogue increases by –2 (to a total maximum of –8).

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

Sure, Daathiel will try the swift-action check.
Performance Combat, Helpful Crowd: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 11 + 2 = 25


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Though the crowd surged to their feet in approval of Daathiel's cacophonous assault, he isn't quite able to cash in on their helpful attitude.
no victory point, but crowd remains helpful

Mal closes and delivers a sharp blow to Ninja's head, snapping his head to the side. Flora blasts him right in the face with a barrage of splinters, and Jeras moves in, finishing him off with by slipping a knife between his ribs. In mere seconds, the bout is over. The crowd hovers between excitement and letdown at the brutally efficient display.

Don't think Flora or Jeras can hit the DC of the Performance check for bonus victory points, but you're welcome to make the rolls, Flora for energy blast, Jeras for finishing blow. Failure cannot hurt you.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

After you are ushered out of the fight stage, you see they are immediately hosting the other semifinal round, between the hobgoblin who dominated the iron body competition, and an elven samurai from Tian Xia. The first couple of rounds are heated, then the hobgoblin lands a flurry of blows that sends the samurai reeling. The hobgoblin quickly steps in a finishes the match. With a snort over his fallen foe, he stomps out of the arena, ignoring the crowds chanting of his name:
"Gomwai! Gomwai! GOMWAI!"

The unconscious samurai is dragged from the arena and they sands are quickly raked back into an evenly grooved swirl that emanates from the center of the fight area.

The oni Kiang Zhen stands and raises its hands. "Ladies, gentlemen...and the rest of you sorry lot, before we get to the final match to decide the winner of the Ruby Phoenix Tournament, each winning team will have one final exhibition bout, and one final test, to prove they are worthy to compete. First, we have the exhibition bout of the Pathfinder Paragons."
The sneering disdain he puts into those last two words practically drips down the side of the Emissary's ziggurat and onto the arena floor. He gestures for you to enter the fight area.

Again, place yourselves in the red box.
It's only been about 10 minutes since the start of your first bout. You only have one round to cast any buffs. Roll your own initiatives.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 157/157 (66 nonlethal) | AC: 35 (18 T, 30 F) | Fortification: 30.% | CMD: 24 | F: 21, R: 17, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 6/12 | Internal Buffer 2/2 | Reroll 1/1

Flora enhances her reactions as usual.

Init: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 4 = 28

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

Daathiel will likewise cast Heightened Awareness.
Init: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 7 + 4 = 26

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

Mal congratulates Daathiel,” I suspect that getting the jump on the ninja made all the difference!

Upon hearing the announcement Mal assumes, correctly , that more bouts are imminent. He has Daathiel use his wand of mage armor on him immediately after the match with the ninja and watches the remaining match. He attempts to his wand of shield before the next match begins, but fails to do so.

Shield UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17

init: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras drinks another potion of fly.

init: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


Hell's Vengeance | Birthright Betrayed

Red Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

After what seems like an eternity, a two-headed giant wielding an oversized orc double axe enters the arena. As it spots the Pathfinders, both heads roar their own challenge.

"Me katkaisimme pääsi ja syöt varpaasi!"
"Leikkaamme varpaasi ja syömme päätäsi!"

Giant:
"We cut off your heads and eat your toes!"
"We cut off your toes and eat your heads!"

Knowledge (local) DC 16:
This is an ettin, giants known for their ability to fight with two weapons flawlessly thanks to their twin heads.

If you exceeded the DC by 5 or more, what else would you want to know?

Sense Motive DC 20:
Kiang Zhen, the oni attendant of the Emissary, seems unusually interested in the ettin. Suspiciously so, even.

You can study the ettin more closely if you wish, making a Perception check as a move action.

Final Exhibition!
Round 1! Bold may act!
Flora
Daathiel
Mal

Red
Jeras

Please make sure that your stat bar is up-to-date with your current buffs.

What do you do?

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 157/157 (66 nonlethal) | AC: 35 (18 T, 30 F) | Fortification: 30.% | CMD: 24 | F: 21, R: 17, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 6/12 | Internal Buffer 2/2 | Reroll 1/1

Flora steps up and gathering power to her throws a blast of pure cold at the giant.

Empowered, extended range cold blast
Cold Blast (touch): 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (15) + 18 = 33 Damage: 5d6 + 9 ⇒ (6, 4, 6, 3, 1) + 9 = 29 (43 cold damage)

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 25
Immunities/resistances, please.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
"Something's up here with our foe..."

Daathiel casts Haste on the party and studies the Ettin more closely as a move action.
Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

Seeing his flat-footed foe, Mal wants to take advantage but once again his carpet will not be fast enough. Mal asks for Torag's blessing and starts to run hastily after Daathiel's blessing. As he closes he thinks Right back to the dwaven monestary, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. As he finishes his run he make a jump, bringing a kick down upon the back of the giant's knee.

Fervor a divine favor before moving up and making my attack. If it has combat reflexes it'll get an AoO on me as I move in, and an AoO as I attempt to trip it.
Trip,haste,divine favor: 1d20 + 22 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 22 + 1 + 2 = 34

AC 36 ( and an +4 on melee attacks from crane wing, which falls if there is an attack within 4 of it). If I get an AoO on the creature I'll use stunning fist on the first one. My AoO is in my profile.


Hell's Vengeance | Birthright Betrayed

@Mal - It would be a swift action to use Fervor to cast divine favor, and it would also be a swift action to enter Crane/Snake Style. Additionally, without taking the swift action to enter Snake Style, I don't believe your fists would count as piercing weapons (making the swashbuckler bonuses not apply). Could you clarify that for me (either here or on the Discussion thread) if there is something I'm overlooking or not figuring into the equation? And how would you like to use your swift action for this round?

Frost suddenly covers the ground around Flora as her icicle crashes into the giant, causing it to roar in pain. The Pathfinders feel as though the world around them has slowed down slightly thanks to Daathiel's magic as the archivist studies their opponent.

Daathiel:
Daathiel doesn't spot anything out of the ordinary about this ettin. Maybe Kiang Zhen is interested because it's not wielding the more traditional flails and javelins of its kind? Regardless, the bard doesn't recall the giants having any resistances or immunities to any elements.

Other than their ability to attack with two weapons without suffering from any TWF penalties, there's not much interesting about ettins.

Final Exhibition!
Round 1! Bold may act!
Flora
Daathiel
Mal
Red (-43)
Jeras

Active Field Effects:
- Haste

Please make sure that your stat bar is up-to-date with your current buffs.

What do you do?


Hell's Vengeance | Birthright Betrayed

Mal races forward almost as fast as Flora's missile, crashing into the giant's leg with enough force to topple the massive creature! As it lies on the sandy arena ground, Mal watches in horror as the giant's flesh knits itself back together and pushes out some of the ice splinters left from Flora's attack. The glow of magic begins to surround the creature, and Mal takes advantage of the creature's distraction to stomp on its face...

Mal AoO, Stunning Fist, DF, Haste vs Red: 1d20 + 22 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 22 + 1 + 2 = 27
Nonlethal Piercing damage, DF: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 2 = 19
Red Fortitude vs DC 20: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30
Red Concentration vs DC 33: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33

...but the other face barely maintains concentration, coating the giant's already-dirty skin with a layer of stone. Grinning from both heads (though one is noticeably more bloody than the other), the creature brings itself back upright. This will provoke another AoO from Mal.

Final Exhibition!
Round 2! Bold may act!
Jeras
Flora
Daathiel
Mal
(AoO)
Red (-57)

Active Field Effects:
- Haste

What do you do?

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

AoO, DF, Haste vs Red: 1d20 + 22 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 22 + 1 + 2 = 31damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 2 = 16
I'd ordinarly let the person who hadn't gone yet go, but I have a feeling Jeras wants a 5' step from me.

Mal looks at the creature " stony skin won't save you from Flora, nor Jera's impending assault" He 5' steps to enable Jera's flank, and then unleashes with a flurry of punches.
FoB1, DF, Haste vs Red: 1d20 + 20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 20 + 1 + 2 = 41damage,DF: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 2 = 22
FoB2, DF, Haste vs Red: 1d20 + 20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 20 + 1 + 2 = 35damage,DF: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 2 = 22
FoB3, DF, Haste vs Red: 1d20 + 15 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 15 + 1 + 2 = 30damage,DF: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 2 = 19
Haste attack, DF, Haste vs Red: 1d20 + 20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 20 + 1 + 2 = 31damage,DF: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 2 = 19

First he lands a devastating uppercut knocking the creature's gaze upward. As he does so, Mal's stance refines and then a series of precise body blows follow as the creature looks up at the sky.

assuming all hit, looks like 48 to it and 50 to the stoneskin

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras flies near the creature in flank with Mal. While flying he pulls out his daggers. The he stabs the creature with his adamantine dagger.

+3 dagger adamantine - haste: 1d20 + 20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 20 + 1 = 35
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

sneak attack: 6d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 2) = 15

Debilitating Injury (Ex)
Disoriented: The target takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls. In addition, the target takes an additional –2 penalty on all attack rolls it makes against the rogue. At 10th level and 16th level, the penalty on attack rolls made against the rogue increases by –2 (to a total maximum of –8).


Hell's Vengeance | Birthright Betrayed

The giant laughs again as Mal's blows are diffused by its protective shell before one head spots Jeras approaching. Bellowing, it swings its axe...

Red AoO vs Jeras AC 26: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (5) + 22 = 27
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (2, 6) + 12 = 20

...and cuts open a gash on the rogue's shoulder before Jeras's dagger cuts through its stony skin like butter!

Final Exhibition!
Round 2! Bold may act!
Jeras (-20)
Flora
Daathiel

Mal
Red (-135, Disoriented -4/-6)

Active Field Effects:
- Haste

What do you do?

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 157/157 (66 nonlethal) | AC: 35 (18 T, 30 F) | Fortification: 30.% | CMD: 24 | F: 21, R: 17, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 6/12 | Internal Buffer 2/2 | Reroll 1/1

Flora continues to pound the giant with cold.

Empowered, extended range cold blast
Cold Blast (touch): 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26 Damage: 5d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 4, 2, 4, 2) + 9 = 26 (39 cold damage)

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

An ettin that casts spells?
Daathiel is pretty sure he has not correctly identified this foe and so cannot use his Naturalist bardic performance to give bonuses.
He flies up and casts Ear-Piercing Scream.
Damage: 5d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 5, 6, 3) = 24
Fort DC 17 to halve the damage and avoid being dazed for 1 round.


Hell's Vengeance | Birthright Betrayed

Whoops, forgot something about Flora's first kinetic blast.

Flora vs SR: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Daathiel vs SR: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32
Red Fortitude vs DC 17: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26

Flora's second shard of ice skitters off the giant's skin, falling to the ground with a dull thunk next to Mal. Daathiel yells, magic twisting around his words to explode around both of the creature's heads. It sways for a moment before the blood dripping from its ears abruptly ceases flowing, then moves around Jeras with thundering footsteps and swings its double-bladed axe at the small foe.

Red Axe, Disoriented vs Jeras AC 26: 1d20 + 22 - 6 ⇒ (13) + 22 - 6 = 29
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (6, 4) + 12 = 22

Red Axe, Disoriented vs Jeras AC 26: 1d20 + 22 - 6 ⇒ (10) + 22 - 6 = 26
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (3, 3) + 12 = 18

Red Axe, Disoriented vs Jeras AC 26: 1d20 + 17 - 6 ⇒ (5) + 17 - 6 = 16
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (3, 3) + 12 = 18

Red Axe, Disoriented vs Jeras AC 26: 1d20 + 17 - 6 ⇒ (14) + 17 - 6 = 25
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (4, 6) + 12 = 22

Red Axe, Disoriented vs Jeras AC 26: 1d20 + 12 - 6 ⇒ (19) + 12 - 6 = 25
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (5, 1) + 12 = 18

Red Axe, Disoriented vs Jeras AC 26: 1d20 + 12 - 6 ⇒ (10) + 12 - 6 = 16
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (4, 4) + 12 = 20

The pain from Jeras's single cut seems to catch the giant off-guard, slowing the massive blades just enough for the rogue to duck and dodge away from some of the whirlwind of blows. But he cannot dodge them all, and elf blood decorates the sand once more.

Final Exhibition!
Round 3! Bold may act!
Jeras (-60)
Flora
Daathiel
Mal

Red (-142)

Active Field Effects:
- Haste

What do you do?

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

Jeras, have you factored Haste into your AC? If not, that would make your AC 27, so one of those would have been a miss.

"Jeras, attack and step back!"

Daathiel will delay until after Jeras - he plans to fly around and cast Vanish on the rogue.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 157/157 (66 nonlethal) | AC: 35 (18 T, 30 F) | Fortification: 30.% | CMD: 24 | F: 21, R: 17, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 6/12 | Internal Buffer 2/2 | Reroll 1/1

Flora moves in to try to provide flank for Jeras and then forming a knife of wood he her hand stabs at it.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28
Kinetic Blade
Wood Knife: 1d20 + 19 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 19 + 2 = 35 Damage: 5d6 + 12 ⇒ (2, 5, 2, 1, 1) + 12 = 23


Hell's Vengeance | Birthright Betrayed

As stated before, I am trusting the players to keep their stat bars up-to-date with their current AC and active effects.

The giant swings its axe at the halfling as she rushes forward...

Red AoO vs Flora AC 35: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (18) + 22 = 40
Slashing damage: 2d6 + 12 ⇒ (1, 4) + 12 = 17

...and cuts through her defenses! But even as Flora's blood mixes with her watery veil, her wooden knife pushes through the giant's stony skin and it falls to the ground unmoving.

Final Exhibition!
Round 3! Bold may act!
Jeras (-60)
Flora (-17)
Daathiel
Mal
Red (-155, Unconscious, Prone)

Active Field Effects:
- Haste

What do you do?

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

with Haste my AC is 27 so 18 points less damage.

"Guys, shall we finish him?"

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

That seems mighty unsporting for arena contests, and potentially disqualifying, even in an exhibition match. This is over no? Mal says as he looks to the agents of the emissary for confirmation.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

@Jeras, I believe what the GM implied is that the buffs must be reflected in your stat line or they do not count.

Daathiel continues to examine the 'ettin'. "Can you all take a close look at this thing? Ettins don't usually cast spells and regenerate."

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

Mal does as requested and takes a closer look. In particular he examines the Ettin’s rings Regeneration you say, usually there is a way to shut that off. Any thoughts Daathiel?

perception: 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (8) + 26 = 34

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 13 | HP 107/107 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 20 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +15 | Performance 34/34 | Probable Path 2/2 | Reroll 1/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 7/7, 7/7, 5/5, 4/4, 2/2 |Active: None

"If we don't know exactly what it is, there's trial and error. We've tried cold and sonic. I have a vial of holy water and a flask of acid."

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 2 | HP 105/105| AC 27, T 27, FF 18 | CMD 38 | F +18 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +30, SM +26 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 3/3; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake style, GMW (CL14)

I’d vote for acid first, maybe fire if anyone has that? But lets wait until he wakes and offer him the opportunity to surrender. If he refuses and attacks I’m willing to stand next to him. As I understand regeneration once we shut it down you simply slay the creature, and I’d like to offer quarter to an intelligent foe in a tournament...

601 to 650 of 776 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.