[PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar]

Game Master Uktar

A tournament-style adventure for 11th-level characters, written by Tim Hitchcock


251 to 300 of 692 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Jeras learns that not only does it appear someone poisoned the wine at the festivities in the Grand Pavilion the previous night, several contestants have come down with strange maladies from more than just the tainted wine. Several contestants collapsed during their exhibition matches, and there even was one who lost all muscle control while fighting in the arena on a bed of hot coals. In each case, tournament healers diagnosed the problem as poison, though the specific draughts and methods of delivery seem to vary from case to case. To ward off suspicion and keep business flowing, Yon Loi has hired a local cleric of Qi Zhong, god of healing, magic, and medicine, to inspect all the food in the restaurant before it is served.
Alas, detect poison and purify food and water are within the cleric's talents, but not high enough level for restoration.

Daathiel and Mal learn that an entire team of contestants who were set to compete against the hobgoblin champion Gomwai were found dead this evening along the treacherous, abandoned coast known as the Ridge of Graves. The nagaji warriors, known as the Nagas' Children, were known to utilize debilitating, ability-draining attacks, and were favored to win tomorrow’s bout. Their bodies were identifiable only by magic, as severe acid wounds had distorted their forms beyond recognition. Rumors circulating around the noodle house indicate that the Nagas' Children had boasted of going to take on the dragon Huyanwo, who is believed to lair near the Ridge of Graves. See Map

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Upon returning to their suite after enjoying the dinner at Yon Loi's noodle house Mal addresses conveys what he learned.

Sounds like there is a dragon that slew some other contestants, Huyanwo. Any of you feel up for taking out a dragon tonight? Mal cracks a wide smile at his fellow pathfinders.

Mal wouldn't suggest they do anything against the rules of the contest. Maybe we should check with Marthysan if that would be kosher. Is he back yet when we get there?


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

You learn that the dragon has lived on the island for over a century. Decades ago, it tried to force the populace of the fishing village of Old Harbor to pay him tribute. When they refused, he laid waste to the buildings of the village. So the villagers built New Harbor, abandoning the old site. Marthysan informs you that a decade ago, a significant number of his potential foes in the tournament died when they tried to hunt down the dragon, and indeed, perhaps made his path to victory easier as a result.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal will heed Marthysan’s counsel.

We’re here to win a tournament. The dragon has been here quite a while and seems to only rouse when provoked. Let’s sleep on it and consider it after tomorrow’s matches .

Mal spends about an hour carefully brewing up another tonic, following the Forgefather’s example, hops and water are not beer. Afterwards he says a few prayers, blesses the result and beds down for the night.

I could totally be talked into dragon hunting if others want to.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"In my life, I have killed three dragons but I agree with you Mal at this one! Let's go to bed, we all need rest!"

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

"I agree with Jeras. We should turn in for the night. With a dragon, preparation is vital."

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

Flora again taps each one of them with her wand of keep watch so that they will not require sleep in order to be rested.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The night passes uneventfully. The morning of the third day of the Ruby Phoenix Tournament is dismal and rainy. There is a steady drizzle and dark gray clouds as far as the eye can see. Marthysan has already departed for the Tournament, having left a brief note wishing you all luck with the day's bouts.

What would you like to do? Likely candidates:
- wait for summons by one of Emissary's monks
- go to Grand Pavilion to watch other bouts
- explore village
- explore island (though you may want to leave word where you're headed so Emissary's minions can find you)
Helpful reminder: Your agreement does call for you to remain on the island, so leaving it is a violation of that contract.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal wakes early and follows his morning ritual of prayers intermixed with katas. He enjoys a light breakfast and suggests they head to watch the matches.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

You head toward the Grand Pavilion, slogging your way along the muddy path (well Flora and Jeras, at least) as the dreary drizzle continues on without end. You watch a rather unimpressive bout between two sets of contestant who clearly are no match for you when suddenly, all three towers in the fighting area collapse, crushing one of the combatants underneath. The Emissary's minions move in as quickly as possible, but they are too late...the competitor is dead.

Feel free to make a Kn-engineering check, as you watch the Emissary's men begin to clear the debris.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal utters out in shock, “ Droskar’s Folly! I’m sure glad you’re a halfling and not a half-ogre, Flora, you tumbled under that same tower yesterday.

untrained knowledge, max 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Were there any aoe attacks in that match, or yesterday that may have effected all 3?

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Using Lore Master 1 of 2
Daathiel looks at the scene, replays the collapse in his head, estimates the forces on the towers and the strength of the structures, and does some quick calculations.
Knowledge (Engineering), Lore Master: 20 + 16 = 36

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"What is going on here?"


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

As you watch the Emissary's people clear away the wreckage, Daathiel's suspicions are confirmed. Not all the broken pieces show only clear signs of natural wear-and-tear. He can see where acid has been applied to weaken key supports. Clearly, this work is...SABOTAGE!!!

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Daathiel would like to report his conclusions privately but there isn't time - the evidence could be gone.

He flies into the arena and finds one of the Emissary's men.
"Hold! This site has evidence of sabotage. Wait to clear away the wreckage until I can point out the acid damage to the Emissary."

He suspects that intervening here will make him a target, but it can't be helped.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The man at first is dismissive of Daathiel's claims, but Daathiel's diplomatic entreaties convince the monk it'd be better to let Daathiel report it. Marthysan comes down and inspects the acid damage, and he says quietly, "Clearly, you are right. Let us go speak with the Emissary."

Marthysan escorts you to the Emissary's private chambers in the Grand Pavilion where you lay out your claim. Marthysan confirms he also saw the damage. The Emissary sighs. "Will we ever have a tournament not plagued by such underhanded activities?"

Marthysan nods. "Indeed, there were those who sought to cheat to win when I won the previous tournament. In fact, I was denied the chance to win the title on the Fight Stage when that vile sorceress from Lingshen was disqualified just prior to the final round for cheating." Marthysan turns to the Emissary and chuckles. "Remember how she swore vengeance upon me? As if I was the one who forced her to cheat to win her previous bouts..."

The Emissary thanks you for bringing this to his attention and he asks for both your vigilance and discretion. "Please do be on the look out for any further cheating, but try and keep it quiet. We want the people to enjoy the spectacle, and feel the competition is fair. We do our best, and will continue to do so. But going public with this won't help anyone."

Even as the Emissary is about to end your audience, Kiang Zhen enters the chambers and bows to the Emissary. "Emissary, it is time for the Boar and Tiger fight." The oni nods meaningfully at you all and the Emissary dismisses you all with a wave of his hand. You slip out a discreet entrance and circle around to one of the contestant entrances.

Kiang Zhen explains as he hustles you along. "A Boar and Tiger fight is a one-on-one combat in in which two contestants are tethered to wild animals and pitted against one another with the goal of keeping their respective beasts alive. Quickly choose who will be the one to compete. And you," he nods at Daathiel, having pegged him as the least likely to be the combatant. "You will cast lots to see if your champion has first choice of which animal to which they will be tethered."

beat this, Daathiel: 1d100 ⇒ 77
This d100 roll off is a replacement for a coin toss, so things like sleight of hand, etc, could be used, but of course, that'd be cheating...And to be clear, Daathiel can be your champion, and feel free to throw that back at the oni. He is an imperious prick...and I'm just trying to speed this along. This is a Loooong module.

As Daathiel inspects the coin and then tosses it in the air, Khang Zhen explains the contest: This is an exhibition bout, so win or lose has no bearing on the Tournament, other than winning favor with the crowd. It is strictly a one-on-one contest: the rest of the team can only spectate. For the duration of the match, contestants are not permitted to allow harm to befall their own beasts (i.e. in addition to keeping it from harm, you cannot deliberately harm your own animal). Neither can the beasts become unfettered. Contestants win by slaying their opponent’s beast. If a combatant wishes to move more than 15 feet from her tethered animal’s current location, she must make a drag combat maneuver against the animal, and can use the reposition combat maneuver to move her animal without moving herself. You have about five rounds outside the Pavilion for the coin flip, etc, before you're brought in.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

"Thank you, Your Grace. I will be alert and discreet."
"But Marthysan, tell me a bit more about this sorceress. Even cheating can't make up for a complete lack of talent, so she must have had considerable arcane power to reach the championship bout before being found out. And she swore revenge on you? She must know that you would be here at this event. A powerful sorceress is not a threat to be ignored."
---

Daathiel has little interest in this exhibition fight. "Really? Killing animals for sport? Mal, Flora, Jeras, are any of you interested in this bout?"

If any one is interested, then Daathiel will flip the coin. 1d100 ⇒ 13

Daathiel thinks either Flora or Mal could do this - Jeras works better with a flanking partner, and Daathiel doesn't do much of all in damage other than the occasional Ear-Piercing Scream.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal makes a suggestion,” I’ve never been tethered to an animal before, but I think Flora would be best suited to this challenge, with her skill at range. I certainly lack the strength or the necessary skill to coerce an animal to either move up with me or fight beside me. Please feel free to use my carpet if you think it will help.

we must obey emissary commands, so I don’t think the exhibition matches are optional Daathiel. In character Mal doesn’t feel strongly one way or the other. OOC a ranged is clearly better here.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Yes, I agree, Flora is best for this challenge.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

"Very well then. It is decided."


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

At Flora's words, you are immediately lead into the arena. Jeras, Mal and Daathiel are escorted to reserved seating in nearby stands, while Flora is brought onto the fight stage, the crowd roaring in anticipation. You see a tiger and a dire boar, both ANIMALS HELD in place by some form of magic. A chain is attached to the right hind leg of each animal with a shackle at the other end. A slender female human with chin-length black hair and chestnut eyes enters the arena. Dress in Tian-Dtang fashion, she wears hide armor and carries a spear. With a nod from Kiang Zhen, the woman moves to the boar and extends her leg for shackling. Flora is led to the tiger and attached to it. The Emissary's monks quickly retreat, and Kiang Zhen shouts BEGIN!

The spells that hold the animals in place are dropped. With a roar, the tiger pounces on the halfling, looking to have itself a small snack. Its first claw actually strikes to kineticist, drawing blood, and the crowd roars its approval. It grabs onto its new chew toy, but is unable to further penetrate Flora's defenses.

Flora, I applied your usual buff of Heightened Awareness.

Current init order. BOLD may act
Tiger Grappled
Flora 14 dmg, Grappled
Boar
Druid

GM Screen:
Flora: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 4 = 15
D: 1d20 ⇒ 10
B: 1d20 ⇒ 9
T: 1d20 ⇒ 12
claw#1: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 for dmg: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
claw#2: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16 for magic slashing dmg: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
bite: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 for magic slashing dmg: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (1, 2) + 6 = 9
grapple: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

Well, I could be screwed here.

Flora tries to conjure a blade in her hand.

pushing kinetic blade
Concentration: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30 (DC 10+15(CMB)+5(level)=30)

She manages to just barely create the knife and stabs twice at the tiger grabbing her.

Wood Knife: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30 Damage: 5d6 + 12 ⇒ (5, 4, 1, 2, 4) + 12 = 28 Bull Rush: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16
Wood Knife: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16 Damage: 5d6 + 12 ⇒ (6, 1, 4, 1, 3) + 12 = 27 Bull Rush: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Flora, the Tiger is your animal, I think that you want to attack the druid or boar. The GM said we can’t attack our own animals without breaking rules

GM Uktar wrote:

For the duration of the match, contestants are not permitted to allow harm to befall their own beasts (i.e. in addition to keeping it from harm, you cannot deliberately harm your own animal). Neither can the beasts become unfettered. Contestants win by slaying their opponent’s beast. If a combatant wishes to move more than 15 feet from her tethered animal’s current location, she must make a drag combat maneuver against the animal, and can use the reposition combat maneuver to move her animal without moving herself. You have about five rounds outside the Pavilion for the coin flip, etc, before you're brought in.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |
Mal 001 wrote:

Flora, the Tiger is your animal, I think that you want to attack the druid or boar. The GM said we can’t attack our own animals without breaking rules

GM Uktar wrote:
For the duration of the match, contestants are not permitted to allow harm to befall their own beasts (i.e. in addition to keeping it from harm, you cannot deliberately harm your own animal). Neither can the beasts become unfettered. Contestants win by slaying their opponent’s beast. If a combatant wishes to move more than 15 feet from her tethered animal’s current location, she must make a drag combat maneuver against the animal, and can use the reposition combat maneuver to move her animal without moving herself. You have about five rounds outside the Pavilion for the coin flip, etc, before you're brought in.

This is correct. Feel free to pull a do-over on that round. YOur tiger pounced on you. You need to keep it alive and kill the boar.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

I completely misunderstood then. I never actually had time to read the rules, I just went on the fact that others said I was the best person for this.

I guess I will go for broke, and try the following action instead.

Flora decides to try to end this in a single shot.

empowered winter blast using my internal buffer and taking 2 burn on top of it.

Concentration: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (11) + 17 = 28
Concentration (folio reroll): 1d20 + 17 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 17 + 3 = 31

Winter Blast: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (7) + 16 = 23 Damage: 10d6 + 23 ⇒ (5, 2, 5, 3, 3, 6, 4, 4, 5, 5) + 23 = 65 97 damage, half cold, half piercing

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal watches in awe as the blast strikes. “ Don’t upset the little lass, she’ll put a tree straight through ya.

Mal contemplates, That halfling is looking more and more like a plant. Don’t know how much further she can push herself.

Definitely the right choice, I can’t imagine it survived that!


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The smirk that had begun to form on the druid's face is frozen there for a moment, whether from shock or the frigid blast that just blew past her face, one cannot be sure. But the dire boar barely managed to emit half a squeal before exploding into freeze-dried bits. A stunned silence follows for a moment. There is a scattering of other contestants in the tournament in the audience, and to a one, the blood drained from their faces and they shift uncomfortably in their seat. Even the tiger's grip on Flora slackens slightly in shock, and the Emissary's minions are quick to emply their readied Hold Animal spells. The tiny halfling steps free from the large tiger's now-frozen grasp, dusts herself off and tsks at the blood on her cloak.

With a sigh, Kiang Zhen throws down a small object at Flora's feet.
"Congratulations."
The oni turns on his heel and leaves.
Flora picks up her winnings: it is a small magic ring.
Daathiel is quickly able to identify it as a Ring of Animal Friendship.

VICTORY POINTS: Mal & Flora: 4, Daathiel & Jeras: 3
Technically, I believe the DC of that concentration check should have been 2 higher for it being Empowered, but it's not worth bogging down in this one-on-one combat with only a ring of animal friendship at stake. And you burned a re-roll for it...so let's move on.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Immediately after the boar and tiger fight, before you've even finished offering Flora your congratulations, Marthysan approaches. The paladin seems concerned.
"The rumors of poisons and the like is one thing--it could be explained away as food poisoning, and while it did cost some their chance at winning the tournament, it wasn't life threatening. This sabotage of the towers is another matter entirely. It cost someone their life. Have any of you encountered anything strange lately or heard any rumors that may not have reached my ears? I've been so focused on the tournament and other official business--" Before he can finish his thought , one of the Emissary's monks rushes up and informs Marthysan that the Emissary needs him immediately. Marthysan sighs. "If you could meet me tonight at 9pm at YonLoi’s perhaps we can find the time to discuss the situation more fully." With a nod farewell, he and the monk depart.
Even as you were listening to Marthysan, you watched as Ruby Phoenix monks carry hundreds of buckets of red-hot coals into the arena and spread them across the floor of the fight stage, noticeably raising the Grand Pavilion’s ambient temperature and filling the air with thin gouts of steam as stray raindrops hit the burning ground and vaporize.

Even as you watch, you see the Emissary and Marthysan briefly confer up on top of the Emissary's ziggurat. Marthysan bows to the Emissary and departs. The Emissary steps forward and announces to the crowd. "Ladies, Gentlemen...and the rest of you, I present a Battle of the Embers. Pathfinder Paragons? Chanters of the Sacred Song? Please step forward and remove all footwear and prepare yourselves to battle atop the smoldering coals."

There are four Chanters of the Sacred Song, each wearing a chain shirt, & carrying a light wooden shield, whip, short sword, & short bow.

While you have a few rounds to prepare yourselves, including any spells that preclude fire damage (such as energy resistance or protection from energy or flight), a nearby monk of the Emissary warns you that the crowd disapproves of such actions, seeing it as taking the easy way out. Mechanically, might be benefits or penalties for performance combat. You'll take a small amount of fire damage walking on the coals, though moving a lot, moving quickly could help reduce the damage. Falling prone on the coals would mean more fire damage. They also could potentially be used as a weapon (e.g. kicking hot coals at your enemy.

Five rounds for buffs. please roll initiative and place yourself in the red box on the map.
See Map

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal responds to Marthysan, " We'll be there! "

Mal steps off of his carpet and removes his magical boots. He then casts a few spells in anticipation of the fight.

Mal has 4 rounds (removing footware), so: Heightened Awareness from wand, Divine Favor, Long Arm from a wand, Shield from a wand

UMD:Long Arm: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35
UMD:Shield: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16

Mal curses when the wand appears to be unable to activate, but is confident of his abilities in the fight to come regardless.

Initiative: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 13 + 4 = 22

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras removes his boots.

initiative: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

Not sure. Metakinesis doesn't say it increases the effective level. Instead it costs more burn. I think that has to do with the fact that really high-level kineticists would otherwise be throwing around effectively impossible level spells.

The thing that I never could find a straight answer on is kinetic blade. If I'm using as part of a full attack, am I casting it once per attack, and thus potentially paying burn multiple times per round? Seems like it would be more balanced that way, but the wording gives me no clue.

Flora doesn't wear shoes to begin with.

cure light: 3d8 + 3 ⇒ (5, 3, 7) + 3 = 18
initiative: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 4 = 19

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Daathiel removes his boots.
He casts Heightened Awareness and Heroism on himself, Haste on the party (12 rounds), uses his wand of Shield (10 rounds), and activates his ring of Blinking (9 rounds).

Initiative: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 7 + 4 = 31

Mal, I can loan you my wand of Shield for the next elimination bout.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The crowd is quite enthusiastic as both teams quickly enter start hopping across the hot coals getting into position. Clearly, each team has built a following by winning their early matches. As soon as both teams settle in to position, the Emissary shouts, "Begin!"

gm screen:
hmm: 4d20 ⇒ (10, 2, 12, 18) = 42

Flora:
Flora Mossgreen wrote:

Not sure. Metakinesis doesn't say it increases the effective level. Instead it costs more burn. I think that has to do with the fact that really high-level kineticists would otherwise be throwing around effectively impossible level spells.

The thing that I never could find a straight answer on is kinetic blade. If I'm using as part of a full attack, am I casting it once per attack, and thus potentially paying burn multiple times per round? Seems like it would be more balanced that way, but the wording gives me no clue.

I spent more than half an hour looking for an answer on the metakinesis raising effective spell level and couldn't find anything. But straight up language says it works "as if using" the metamagic feat, which does raise the spell's level...it's a weird case, and one certainly not worth bogging down the game over. Hopefully won't come up again. I've run Enora, and gmed a kinteicist once, but still practically a noob with much of the occult clases.

Current init order. BOLD may act
Daathiel: d6 fire & reflex save
Jeras: d6 fire & reflex save1 negative leve
Mal: d6 fire & reflex save

Pink
Flora
Red
Green
Blue

Current Crowd Attitude:
Pathfinders: Friendly (+1 on saves, attacks, CMB, ability & skill checks)
Chanters of Sacred Song: Friendly
VICTORY POINTS: Mal & Flora: 4, Daathiel & Jeras: 3

At the start of your turn, roll 1d6 fire damage for the coals and make a reflex save. DC 15 Reflex save for 1/2 dmg (evasion applies, of course). If you move more than 15', gain +2 on the save. And if you do take fire damage, remember concentration checks apply for spells (relarively easy DCs for this level, but nonetheless)

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Reflex, Heroism: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 16 + 2 = 26
Fire Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Halved again for Blinking?

Daathiel casts Vanish on himself and moves up drawing his whip.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal activates his blue scarf, his arms stretching out to impossibly long portions. He then moves blindingly fast with Daathiel's magical aid to execute a flying kick before landing infront of all four chanters. The momentum of the strike, combined with the radient heat on Mal's foot, strikes deeply into his chest.

Reflex,haste,moving,crowd: 1d20 + 23 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 23 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 34
Attack (crit 19-20) haste,divine favor,crowd: 1d20 + 22 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 22 + 1 + 2 = 45 Damage,divine favor: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 2 = 19
Confirm haste,divine favor,crowd: 1d20 + 22 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 22 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 31 Damage,divine favor: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 12 + 2 = 21

Woot, already got my panache back, assuming 31 confirms! I'm pretty sure the critical that returns the panache doesn't get the precision damage, but that is a GM question. If it does, 5 more damage.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

REF -haste: 1d20 + 21 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 21 + 1 = 25
damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5 0 damage - evasion

Jeras moves closer 60ft. to the Red and stabs ones. While moving he pulls out 2 daggers.

+3 adamantine dagger, haste: 1d20 + 20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 20 + 1 = 22
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal also has evasion, why I didn't roll the damage


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Daathiel, indeed, that's a whopping 1 point of fire damage.
MAL: you're entitled to one free and one immediate action Performance Combat check. (2 potential checks, if you have immediate action available. Otherwise just one free check.). Also, it looks like you missed a +1 on your initial attack roll (not confirm roll), so you'll have to re-roll that attack. KIDDING! Just letting you know for next time. And last but not least, swashbuckler precision damage is never multiplied, but it does apply to initial dmg roll.

The crowd lets out an audible gasp at the sheer speed of the dwarf, most having only witnessed Mal float about on a carpet. He launches a flying kick from 10 feet away, catching green square on the jaw and his head snaps back with an audible crack. Mal lands on one foot, assuming his crane stance. Jeras slips across the coals in a blur with barely a whisper of noise. Unfortunately, his attack is not nearly adept as his movement.

The chanter in the pink cloak takes a 5' step then begins chanting inspirational words of encouragement to his fellow teammates. Then he defensively casts a a spell and

Mal:
you notice nothing different.
Jeras & Flora:
all four chanters disappear, along with Mal!
Daathiel:
all four chanters disappear, along with Mal!. You recognize the spell as Invisibility Sphere, and clearly, he's a bard casting the spell in bardly fashion.

gm screen:
fire dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 4
Reflex: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
conc: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Current init order. BOLD may act
Daathiel 1 dmg
Jeras 1 negative leve
Mal
Pink 2 dmg
Flora
Red
Green 45 dmg
Blue

Current Crowd Attitude:
Pathfinders: Friendly (+1 on saves, attacks, CMB, ability & skill checks)
Chanters of Sacred Song: Friendly
VICTORY POINTS: Mal & Flora: 4, Daathiel & Jeras: 3
MAL: you're entitled to one free and one immediate action Performance Combat check. (2 potential checks, if you have immediate action available. Otherwise just one free check.)

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

I didn't include any precision damage. Since this was the first fight of the day I used Panache to activate my swordmaster's flair: blue scarf, which means I was without any panache for that critical. I typically don't use the item itself as that leaves me without the ability to do so later. Oh, I see your point, you're saying the 5 damage would be included because I recovered the panache when I confirmed the critical, which would be before the damage roll!

Mal mutters something unintelligible about needing to learn something about identifying enemy spellcasting in dwarvish.

Perform check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Oof, that lowers the attitude I suspect
Perform check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 I guess we're back to where we started?

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

Flora moves a little closer to those allies she can still see.

"I'm sure the crowd loves not being able to see a battle."

Flora moves around and then attempts to fire a blast of wood at the spot where the pink chanter stepped to.

Fire: 1d6 ⇒ 4
REFLEX: 1d20 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 15 + 2 = 23

Can't fail the DC 17 concentration check.

Extended range, pushing wood blast.
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 18

But her blast doesn't find anything.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal calls out loudly when he hears Flora's statement, " What do ya mean the crowd can't see, is something wrong with your eyes?"


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The crowd has come to expect Mal drawing first blood, and are not particularly impressed with the speed of his attack, but the sound of the loud crack of impact elicits an appreciative "Oooooo" at the efficacy of the blow.

The bard in the red cloak suddenly reappears, having taken a five foot step away from Mal, moving hebding his friend in the green cloak. He begins a strange chant aimed at Jeras, assaulting the rogue with his very words...or at least attempts to. He sounds a very sour note that rings hollow to the ear. Having failed in his assault, the red-cloaked bard then begins chanting words of inspiration and greatness toward the Blue bard.

Then the bard in green with the huge footprint on his face appears, stepping behind his friend in blue. He attempts to strike a harmony with the weird words hurled by his compatriot, again targeting the rogue. Both words strike Jeras squarely in the chest, and the green bard raises his hand triumphantly. The crowd has clearly heard this tune before. They clap politely, but aren't rising to their feet just yet. The green bard then begins performing a dirge that shakes Mal, Daathiel and Jeras to their very core.

The assault upon Jeras continues, and the bard in blue reappears, and he joins the chorus of cruelty, unleashing his harsh words upon Jeras. He steps 5 feet to the south and again, the sonic assault batters the rogue, but Jeras the Undaunted remains on his feet. The blue bard also raises his hands in triumph, but again, the song is nothing new, and the crowd remains politely interested, but hardly impressed. He then turns to his friend in green and chants words of inspiration and greatness.

gm screen:
fire dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 2
Reflex: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
Range Touch Att: 1d20 ⇒ 1 for Sonic dmg: 8d6 + 3 ⇒ (5, 1, 3, 5, 3, 4, 2, 5) + 3 = 31
Combat Performance: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
fire dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Reflex: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Range Touch Att: 1d20 ⇒ 9 for Sonic dmg: 8d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 1, 3, 2, 2, 2, 6, 4) + 3 = 27
Combat Performance: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
fire dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Reflex: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Range Touch Att: 1d20 ⇒ 14 for Sonic dmg: 8d6 + 3 ⇒ (5, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 1) + 3 = 38
Combat Performance: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
hmm: 4d10 ⇒ (6, 3, 9, 4) = 22

All the bardic performances are Supernatural abilities that do not provoke AoO, but Blue's range attack would provoke an AoO from Mal. Red and Green had cover from AoO when they made their range attacks. So MAL, make AoO v Blue

Current init order. BOLD may act
Daathiel: SHAKEN, 1 dmg
Jeras: SHAKEN, 1 negative level, 65 dmg
Mal: SHAKEN,
(AoO v Blue as well)
Pink: 2 dmg, Invisible
Flora: 2 dmg
Red: 2 dmg
Green: 45 dmg
Blue: 1 dmg

Current Crowd Attitude:
Pathfinders: Friendly (+1 on saves, attacks, CMB, ability & skill checks)
Chanters of Sacred Song: Friendly
VICTORY POINTS: Mal & Flora: 4, Daathiel & Jeras: 3

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3

"Enough of that! You think your Dirge of Doom is supposed to frighten us? We've seen far worse! Why, this one time I faced a dragon..."

Daathiel takes a 5' step and uses his new magical whip to trip Blue.
Attack, Invisible, Heroism, Shaken: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 11 + 2 + 2 - 2 = 29
01-20 miss from Blink: 1d100 ⇒ 97

If that trips his foe: Performance, Friendly Crowd, Shaken: 1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 11 + 1 - 2 = 21

Now visible, he begins a bardic performance, using Inspire Greatness on Mal and Jeras.

Each one gets +2d10+2*Con temporary HP, +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, +1 competence bonus on Fort saves.

Edit: Reflex, Heroism, Shaken: 1d20 + 16 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 16 + 2 - 2 = 31

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

I’m going to assume that Daathiel’s check was sufficient to get the crowd to helpful (+2), which will negate the shaken penalty. If this is incorrect, please adjust attacks accordingly. Also I think when you use an immediate action on your turn, it counts as a swift on that turn, so I would have a swift this turn. If not, ignore my intimidate check on Blue.

Mal quickly strikes at the blue cloaked bard, seizing the opening provided with a rapid chop to his neck.
Attack, divine favor, helpful crowd, haste, shaken: 1d20 + 22 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 22 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 27 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 23

reflex: 1d20 + 23 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 23 + 1 = 42

Upset at their use of supernatural attacks against his team, Mal calls upon his martial training to strike deep into his opponents hearts as well, attempting to knock the wind the blue cloaked bard with a jab to the solar plexus.
FoB1, stunning fist, divine favor, helpful crowd, haste, shaken: 1d20 + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 41 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 25 DC21 Fort (boosted thanks to inspire greatness) or Stunned for 1 round

Intimidate check as a swift action (menacing swordplay) to demoralize, helpful, shaken: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 2 - 2 = 25

Afterwards, he continues his strikes against the green cloaked bard with a roundhouse kick to the head, and a two combo punch to his body.
FoB2, divine favor, helpful crowd, haste, shaken: 1d20 + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 43 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 22
FoB3, divine favor, helpful crowd, haste, shaken: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 15 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 31 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 24
Haste, divine favor, helpful crowd, haste, shaken: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 15 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 38 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 21

Confirm FoB2, divine favor, helpful crowd, haste, shaken: 1d20 + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (9) + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 33 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 2 = 22
Confirm Haste, divine favor, helpful crowd, haste, shaken: 1d20 + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 20 + 2 + 2 + 1 - 1 = 29 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 2 = 16

Since I took a swift, I don’t think I can make a performance check, unless it is free. Please redirect attacks if anyone goes unconscious. Also need to add 1 to all attacks, competence from Daathiel (already had a plus 1 competence).

Performance Check, forced (nat 1 on AoO): 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 5 + 2 - 2 = 24

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras steps closer 5ft to Red and starts stabbing.

REF -haste: 1d20 + 21 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 21 + 1 = 25

+3 adamantine dagger, haste, Inspire Greatness: 1d20 + 18 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 18 + 1 + 2 = 39
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

+1 cold iron, haste, Inspire Greatness: 1d20 + 16 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 16 + 1 + 2 = 30
damage: 1d4 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

+3 adamantine dagger, haste, Inspire Greatness: 1d20 + 13 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 13 + 1 + 2 = 27
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

+1 cold iron, haste, Inspire Greatness: 1d20 + 11 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 11 + 1 + 2 = 21
damage: 1d4 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

HASTE ATTACK +3 adamantine dagger, haste, Inspire Greatness: 1d20 + 18 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 18 + 1 + 2 = 32
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

HASTE ATTACK +1 cold iron, haste, Inspire Greatness: 1d20 + 16 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 16 + 1 + 2 = 35
damage: 1d4 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Despite the Mal's inept attempt at seizing upon the opportunity to lash out at blue, the crowd's jeers are good natured and friendly.

Daathiel lashes out at the Blue Bard, tripping him up. He winces in pain as the coals burn. The crowd roars its approval. Crowd helpful

Jeras the Undaunted steps in on red and the rogue's knives are a blur, delivering cuts from every direction, and the crowd grows eager, knowing the brutal efficacy of the Pathfinder Paragons.
Jeras, haste just gives you one extra attack, which I assume you'll take with the adamantine dagger. 4 blows landed, so you are welcome to make a Performance COmbat check with a +2 bonus, if you would like

It's hard to tell if Mal is upset with himself or the blue bard for having missing on his attack of opportunity, but either way, he decides take it out on the prone blue bard. Mal kicks him square in the face, leaving him stunned and shaken. He turns to the green bard and delivers a roundhouse to the left side of his face, leaving a dent to be paired with the footprint on his right. But the green bard still remains on his feet...until Mal drops him with a punch to the solar plexis. Them Mal turns to the red bard, and sees panic in his eyes. His fear is well founded, as Mal snaps out a knifehand to the bard's neck that he'll feel for weeks. The red bard is bloodied, bruised and staggered, but he fights on.
Mal, you have 2 free action Performance combat checks available (and one immediate and one swift that you cannot make).

You see burning coals being disturbed as the pink bard moves past you, and he suddenly reappears, unleashing another sonic barrage at Jeras, who is battered by two more of the Weird Words of Chanting. Then the bard starts inspiring words of greatness directed at his abused red colleague. The desperation in his voice turns his notes sour, and the crowd seems unimpressed with his efforts.

gm screen:
fort: 1d20 ⇒ 1
fire dmg: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Reflex: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
Range Touch Att: 1d20 ⇒ 16 for Sonic dmg: 8d6 + 3 ⇒ (5, 3, 1, 3, 3, 2, 3, 5) + 3 = 28
Combat Performance: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Current init order. BOLD may act
Daathiel 1 dmg
Jeras 1 negative level, 94 dmg
Mal Shaken
Pink 5 dmg
Flora: 2 dmg
Red 80 dmg
Green Unconscious and smoldering
Blue 9 dmg (stunned 1 rd, shaken 2 rd & smoldering)

Current Crowd Attitude:
Pathfinders: Helpful (+2 on saves, attacks, CMB, ability & skill checks)
Chanters of Sacred Song: Indifferent
VICTORY POINTS: Mal & Flora: 4, Daathiel & Jeras: 3
Jeras has one Performance Combat check available, if he'd like.
Mal has two

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

I would decline the performance checks. Shaken and crowd is helpful, which is a very high DC. Green did the dirge of doom so hopefully the shaken goes away.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

In every post I make some mistake. :) Sorry!
I didn't include -2 from shaken and -1 from neg. level to attack rolls. That is because I just copy paste.

performance: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

temporary HP -Inspire Greatness: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (5, 6) + 6 = 17

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

Fire: 1d6 ⇒ 1
REFLEX: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (6) + 17 = 23

She gathers her power and fires blast at the pink bard in order to fill his heart with regret and lots of sharp splinters.

Empowered Entangling blast
Wood Blast: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (20) + 20 = 40 Damage: 5d6 + 19 ⇒ (4, 5, 3, 3, 5) + 19 = 39
Confirm?: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (5) + 20 = 25 Extra Damage: 5d6 + 19 ⇒ (4, 5, 5, 1, 5) + 19 = 39

58 magic piercing damage or 119 if confirmed. DC 19 Reflex or entangled.

She then steps forward.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Oops, Mal, you're shaken is gone--I just missed it when I deleted it from the others. One of those free checks would be without shaken, and you're starting at Indifferent (Jeras went before you). 2 checks still available if you want to make them (or just one without shaken)

Jeras, at the time of your attacks, you had Helpful crowd, which negated the shaken--and I factored in for the negative level.

As the avalanche of destruction rushes toward him, you see the regret in the eyes of the pink bard, as he explodes in blood, vines and viscera--clearly he should've stayed invisible.
2 Performance Combat checks available to Flora, one free, one immediate action.

The red bard screams in anger and desperation, and he takes a staggering step toward Flora before the heat and fumes from the coals overcome him. He was at zero, then had some temp hp, but then temp hp went away, so at 0 and staggered, and fire damage knocked him unconscious. no need for rolls. 1hp will do it

Having witnessed the obliteration of one of the combatants, and the only remaining Chanter prone, shaken and in a stunned stupor, the Emissary stands and cries "ENOUGH! Healers: Save any of them that you can! The victors are the Pathfinder Paragons."

Wizards immediately levitate the smoldering unconscious chanters, and they are airlifted to safety and healing. Many in the crowd cheer the bloody victory [maybe?).

Crowd is at indifferent at the start of Mal's turn. He could still take 2 Performance Combat checks, the first one with shaken penalty. Flora can take 2 Performance Combat checks as well. I'll assume that if the checks start going badly and the crowd reaches Hostile, you won't make any more checks.

Current Status:
Daathiel 2 dmg
Jeras 1 negative level, 94 dmg
Mal
Flora: 3 dmg

VICTORY POINTS: Mal 5, Daathiel & Jeras: 4, FLora: 5 (or more pending checks)

251 to 300 of 692 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.