[PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar]

Game Master Uktar

A tournament-style adventure for 11th-level characters, written by Tim Hitchcock


501 to 550 of 618 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

You report back to the Emissary. While he had hoped you would succeed in destroying the scourge, he is impressed you managed to drive it off, however briefly. Kiang Zhen seems less impressed. "A more seasoned and accomplished group would've been better prepared to slay the beast. Perhaps they can manage better in the Test of the Iron Body..."

The Emissary's monks wheel out a bunch of Iron Maidens, as Kiang continues speaking. "There are five tests:
The test of the Drowning Idol
The test of the Fiery Idol
The test of the Pain Idol
The test of the Poison Idol
The test of the Winter Idol.
You may each attempt as many of the tests as you desire, but you must decide now which tests you dare to face. To succeed is as simple as remaining conscious until the end of the test. Which trials will you attempt?"

A single PC may attempt as many trials as she wishes but may only attempt each one once, and should declare which trial she will attempt before the details of each trial are described. If any PC completes a given trial, the team receives one award.
So all four PCs can try whatever they like. Let me know which, if any, you'll try. Each test, there must be at least one PC willing to try, but nobody has to do any NOR all of the tests. And no amount of asking gets you more intel on what the test might be, though it does seem obvious they get your list of intended tests, they lock you in your own Iron Maiden, and then subject you to the tests. You can assume they'll keep an eye on you during the tests, but it's unclear--or even doubtful--they'll let you out of the Iron Maiden while your tests continue.

Let me know what tests you'll face.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Reflex: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (12) + 18 = 30 8 damage

Reflex: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20 Failed one! That's 21 damage. Still in pretty good shape, at 38 damage taken out of 99 HP. Nice damage rolls there!

Daathiel uses Soothing Performance and a couple of wand charges.
Mass CLW: 3d8 + 12 ⇒ (6, 6, 5) + 12 = 29
CLW charge: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
CLW charge: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Had used 5 rounds before the dragon fight, and 2 in the fight, so another 4 rounds now for 11 used today. CLW wand now at 16 charges.

"Well that was bracing! We fought a dragon, stole its hoard, and it fled before us. I took four blasts of its acid breath, scarcely the worse for wear.
Well done, all! Should we face a dragon again we'll need to think of a way to obstruct it so it can't fly away."

---
"None of those sound particularly dignified. Is there no Book Idol? No Dancing Idol? No? Fine, I shall attempt the Test of the Winter Idol."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"Pain Idol, that sounds interesting. I will take that one and Poison Idol."

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal stews,” I came here to fight! Very well, name fire as your champion, I’ll best it!


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Who
1) Doesn't already have a Wisdom Enhancement Bonus?
2) Wants to use Ioun stone to boost Wisdom skills, Will save and/or ???
3) If they have wayfinder that does NOT have an Ioun Stone in it, can put Incandescent Blue Sphere Ioun Stone in it and gain blind-fight as a bonus feat as a resonant power as well.
Let me know who's using the Ioun stone, and apply appropriately. Daathiel cannot use the Silent metamagic rod for Bard spells (the weird side case of Bard spellcasting), so I doubt there's much else from the hoard all that useful, but feel free to use as you see fit.

Forgive the bot, but since Flora's Water Breathing is still in effect, the Drowning Idol seems a Natural

The Halfling is stuffed into a small-sized iron sarcophagus, and two other contestants are stuffed into appropriately sized iron maidens, which are then lowered into a tank of water. After three minutes of ever-growing tension, a nearby cleric raises 3 fingers, and one of the iron maidens is pulled out of the water and quickly opened, as an unconscious Tien Monk slumps to the groud unconscious. As he is revived, the tension mounts, until, after four long minutes the two remaining tanks are raised back out. Both Flora and a Hobgoblin are perfectly fine when their iron maidens are opened. Both are given a potion of water breathing as their reward...

The oni stands and says, "Next up, the Fiery Idol!"

Any buffs or spells before your test, Mal?
And ditto, Jeras and Daathiel for your tests--we'll assume you use them just before being crammed into the iron maiden.
And Flora, feel free to volunteer for any other test you'd like, and mention what buffs you might want to use.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Daathiel is going to count on his Cold Resistance 5 to survive the Idol of Winter.

He could use the Ioun Stone for Wisdom (Wis was his dump stat) but strangely enough he never picked up a Wayfinder! So it would be better allocated to somebody who has one.

He will take the Bag of Tricks. Gives him something else to do during a fight.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

no buffs for Mal, hopefully his saving throws, evasion/blessed fortitude and hit points will seem him through. I have a wisdom headband.

Mal steps forward, ready to face the fire.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

no spells no buffs

Let me face the pain and then poison!


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Mal in entombed in a dwarven sized sarcophagus, along with four other contestants. The sarcophagi are then placed upon a large pyre and allowed to slow bake for ten minutes. Surprisingly, only the smell of heated metal fills the air before the iron maidens are removed from the fire and then thrown open by oven-mitt-wearing monks. All five contestants emerge unscathed, including yet again the hobgoblin. Each is given a potion of Protection from Fire as a reward
Standard CL:5, i.e. 50 points protection that lasts for 50 min

Jeras is joined by 3 other contestants for the Test of the Pain Idol. After each iron maiden is sealed and locked, 2 monks move alongside each sarcophagi. One of each pair unwraps a long bundle they are carrying, and you see a small pile of long, wicked looking needles. The bundle bearer hands the other monk in their pair one of the long needles. You notice that the airholes spread all over the iron maiden seem perfectly sized for the needles. The four skewer wielding monks look to the oni Kiang Zhen and nod they are ready. With a sharp wave of his hand, the skewers are rammed into the iron maidens, and four surprised yelps of pain emerge. The process continues. Jeras feeling a sharp stab of pain again...and again...and again. But after the initial cry of surprise, Jeras grits his teeth and bears the pain with resolve. Only he and the hobgoblin remain silent as ten skewers are rammed home. With a smirk, Kiang Zhen then gives the order to remove the skewers. All four contestants emerge, bloodied but alive.
damage: 10d4 ⇒ (3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 4, 1, 2, 1, 3) = 29

Before you can even think of healing your wounded compatriot, the oni orders the contestants for the Test of the Poison Idol to be sealed in. Jeras sneers at the oni and steps back into his iron maiden, even as one of the Emissary monks hands him a potion for completing the test of pain. Bear's Endurance The hobgoblin laughs out loud and steps back into his sarcophagus as he's handed his potion. Only one other contestant joins Jeras and the hobgoblin in the test of poison. The three iron maidens are lowered into a large glass tank, which is then sealed and filled with an evil looking green gas. The human who entered the test suddenly starts cackling maniacally. His laughter reaches an hysteric crescendo before it goes silent. His unconscious body is quickly removed from the sarcophagus and is treated by a waiting cleric.
Jeras, make a fortitude save. If you get a nat-1, roll another. if that's also a nat-1, roll again...etc. For up to ten rounds. To be clear, you just need to roll anything but a natural 1 on the die just once to succeed. If you succeed, you receive a potion of neutralize poison, CL:7

Daathiel is placed inside his iron maiden. Yet again the hobgoblin enters the contest, along with 3 other contestants. Each sarcophagus is lowered up to its neck in a bath of ice water and left there to chill for ten minutes. After about 6 minutes, a nearby cleric holds up four fingers, and one of the sarcophagi is pulled out of the ice water and opened to reveal an unconscious vudrani man whose skin has started to turn blue. He is quickly wrapped in warm blankets and is restored to consciousness. Daathiel, the hobgoblin and the 2 other contestants emerge from their ten-minute ice-bath and are given potions of protection from cold.
Again, CL5: 50 points, 50 min

The hobgoblin who completed all five contests raises his arms in triumph and takes a victory lap around the fight stage. After the cheers die down, the Emissary stands and addresses the crowd from atop his ziggurat. "Tonight sll be a night of revelry here at the Grand Pavilion, with highwire acrobatics , fireworks, comedy skits, and elaborate puppet shows. The highlight will be a demonstration of tengu swordsmanship the likes of which is rarely seen by those who aren't about to perish. Join us in celebrating this year's Tournament."

Let me know if you're interested in joining the festivities, or spending quiet night back at your quarters. And Jeras, make those fortitude save/saves.

Loot acquired:
Potion of Water Breathing CL:7
Potion of Protection from Fire CL:5
Potion of Protection from Cold CL:5
Potion of Bear's Endurance CL:3
probably Potion of Neutralize Poison CL:7

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras enters Poison Idol.

fort: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Daathiel takes his potion with gratitude. He bows to the one who hands him his reward.

"Let's go to the festivities and keep an eye on things."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"Ok let's go to the festivities but before we go I need some healing."

He pulls out his wand.

UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (20) + 15 = 35
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

UMD: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal agrees,” Aye, I could use some ale instead of aquatic adventures with cowardly dragons and being roasted like a boar

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

"Oh, I shall make certain to tell the tale of Huyanwo the Timorous. How it cowered in the depths while we took its treasure."

Daathiel plans to make good use of Perform (Oratory) this evening, telling the tale and mocking the dragon.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 8 | Init: 5 | Perc: 22 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 0/1 | Reroll 0/1

Flora doesn't have a Wisdom enhancing item or an ioun stone slotted in her wayfinder.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Then I think that Ioun Stone is yours!


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The mood is more festive this evening, as the tournament has reached the semifinals with only four teams of contestants remaining. The various performances are of decent quality, but nothing that can even compare to a Grand Convocation in Absalom. The Tengu swordplay is impressive, and both Jeras and Mal appreciate the deft display, though hardly equal to their own martial skills. The Emissary calls for Marthysan to present the Tengu with a token of appreciation...and then waits, and waits for Marthysan to step forward. When he fails to do so, the Emissary seems a bit flustered. And now that you think about it, you haven't seen Marthysan around since the end of the Test of the Iron Maidens.

What would you like to do?

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal enjoys the entertainment and is surprised when Marthysan fails to show up. He use his own keen senses, and flying carpet to quickly survey for Marthysan. Assuming he doesn’t find him, he asks Daathiel in assistance asking around about who saw him last.

perception: 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (4) + 26 = 30

Automatically aid diplomacy for gather information


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

You find one of the Emissary's monks who says Marthysan had to return to his suite to retrieve the token for the Tengu group...but he left a while ago. He should have been back by well before now.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal suggests,” Lets check the suite, if he isn’t there, we should investigate further...”

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

"I agree. Something is wrong here."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"You guys lead the way and I will follow."


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

AS you enter Marthysan's suite, your suspicions are confirmed. The place has clearly been the site of a furious battle, the aftermath quite evident by the spilled blood...and the dead body. The body is a Tian woman who just so happens to be covered in distinctive Xun tattoos...clear markings of the Golden League. A search of her body reveals a folded piece of paper with Marthysan’s face sketched on it, the name of the inn, and the words “New Harbor docks, Aspis handoff.”

The docks are only about a 5 minute walk away. It's about 9pm, and you know the tide is currently rising. It will begin to lower in about 4 hours, i.e. that's when a larger sailing vessel would be more likely to set sail.

What's your plan?
Please confirm each character's vision, and let me know if there are any buffs you want to cast.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Daathiel will re-cast Heroism and Echolocation.
"A trap, most likely. If the Golden League captured Marthysan, they would not have left this evidence behind by accident. Let us go spring the trap and put an end to this Golden League's meddling."

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal agrees,” Lets spring the trap.

He has Daathiel use his wand of mage armor on him and casts heightened awareness as they head to the docks.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"Let's go!"

Low-Light Vision, Ioun Torch

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

darkvision

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Daathiel will also cast Heightened Awareness.

He has Darkvision and Echolocation.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The docks are currently empty, as the New Harbor locals and docked ships’ crews and passengers are all at the Grand Pavilion participating in tonight’s festivities. The narrow wooden piers of New Harbor form a series of horizontal ladders from the shore to a semicircle of anchored boats. Rising 2 feet off the surface of the water, foot-wide pylons support the network of equally narrow crossbeams, whose waterlogged surfaces require a DC 7 Acrobatics check each round to move along at half speed, and anyone balancing in such a way is considered flatfooted. (barring shenanigans)
You're well aware from local fisherman chatter you've overheard over the past few days that the water in the harbor dock area is 20 feet deep, with a solid, sandy bottom. There are various lanterns and the like, hung aboard each ship and each pier casting some light on the entire area.

I've placed you on The Map coming from the direction of Marthysan's inn, but feel free to pick a different approach if you'd like.
What's the plan for approach, and go ahead and roll your own initiatives...just in case.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal approachs, flying on his carpet, keeping pace with his allies.

initiative: 1d20 + 11 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 11 + 4 = 28

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras takes out his potion of fly just in case.

init: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Daathiel will fly and activate his ring of Blinking.
Init, Heightened Awareness: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22

He will stay behind Mal.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

As you approach, you spy that one vessel seems to have a few sailors on the deck, making preparations to set sail.

GM SCreen:
hmmm: 12d8 ⇒ (7, 5, 2, 1, 1, 3, 5, 5, 2, 1, 6, 5) = 43
hmmm2: 5d20 ⇒ (18, 3, 13, 5, 3) = 42
hmmm2: 5d20 ⇒ (12, 5, 5, 18, 10) = 50

Flora-bot Htened aware init: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 4 = 15

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal calls out,” Sort of late to be setting sail, no? We were just having some festivities


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The sailors seem to startle at Mal's voice, but then one of them yells, "Shove off, ya landlubber. Our bizness ain't none o' yers." They continue their work on the deck, though seem to try and keep an eye on you while they resume securing lines, etc.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Daathiel decides to try another tack.
"Perhaps for a bit of coin you might tell me more about your business? What's your price? Surely enterprising businessmen such as yourselves may have useful tips for outlander landlubbers such as we, and we'd pay handsomely."

Not sure if I'm going to get the full minute to do a Diplomacy check, but if so:
Diplomacy, Heroism: 1d20 + 21 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 21 + 2 = 24

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal tries to see if they're hiding something.

Take 10 on sense motive for a 33

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"I will add some bonus to that gold if you decide to cooperate!"

diplomacy aid: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Mal, you're a good 160-170' away with dim lantern light. At most, you get a sense their movements seemed a bit furtive after you startled them, whether it's because you startled them, or something else, it's hard to tell.

Daathiel sees the two men confer quietly, before one calls out:
"Toss us some coin, and we'll consider it. You can come on down to the end of our fancy "dock" here, but you're not welcome aboard our ship without the Cap'n's permission."

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras takes out 50gp. "Guys, who will toss this?"

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal keeps pace with his team, but suggests they advance," I need not get on a boat to talk to someone face to face."

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

I don't believe I've ever done a scenario or module where flying is such a near-necessity, even higher-tier Seeker scenarios. Jeras can navigate the "dock" well enough with Acrobatics. Not sure of the best option for Flora, but she has a ranged attack.

"Mal and I can approach to speak with them," says Daathiel. He flies up alongside Mal, carrying the pouch of gold.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 8 | Init: 5 | Perc: 22 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 0/1 | Reroll 0/1

Sorry between the holiday and being sick I hadn't thought of anything to post.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

While the entire party is suspecting the worst, they are taken by surprise at the direction of their attackers as four humanoids pop out from behind the shadows of nearby vessels, walking across the water of the bay. Both sailors immediately jump down belowdecks.

You see your old pal Risha Coaltongue, the woman who tried grilling you for information on your ferry ride to Xielan Island. She's wearing light armor and has a shortbow in hand, with a pair of shortwords at her side. With her is a human in chainmail wielding a greataxe.

From further east of the ship, you spy a half-orc in full plate with a greatsword, and a female half-elf in no armor whatsoever.

With their surprise round, Risha unleashes an arrow at Mal that strikes him right in the kidney, sinking deep.
The Half-orc enlarges himself while shouting "May Gorum be PRAISED! Battle is JOINED!"

Daathiel:
He casts Righteous Might

The half-elf casts a spell, and Jeras and Flora are engulfed in a heap of writhing black tentacles.
Then the human in chainmail charges Mal & attacks with his greataxe, the weapon gashing a wide swath across Mal's chest.

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, a blast of briny acid breath strikes Flora from somewhere in the darkness above. Your old pal, the brine dragon seems to be working with these thugs.

gm screen:
shortbow att v Mal FF: 1d20 ⇒ 14piercing dmg: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 and Sneak dmg?: 5d6 ⇒ (4, 1, 2, 3, 2) = 12
black tentacles v CMD Jeras & FF CMD Flora: 1d20 ⇒ 13
dmg on Flora: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
dmg on Jeras: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Greataxe att v Mal FF: 1d20 ⇒ 9 for dmg: 1d12 + 21 ⇒ (4) + 21 = 25
acid dmg: 12d6 ⇒ (4, 4, 2, 5, 2, 1, 3, 1, 3, 3, 6, 4) = 38
hmm: 1d8 ⇒ 8
hmm: 1d4 ⇒ 4

Current init order. BOLD may act,.
Mal 43 dmg ;
GRAY/BLACK: Risha (light armor, shortbow, shortswords)
Daathiel Blinking
Flora: 5dmg + 38 acid dmg, DC21 reflex save for half--with grappled penalty, GRAPPLED BY TENTACLES ;
RED (Half-orc spiked full plate w/ Great Sword)
Jeras 6dmg, GRAPPLED BY TENTACLES
PINK (half-elf Arcane caster)
GREEN (Human Chainmail & Greataxe)
Dragon

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 32, T 28, FF 22 | CMD 38 | F +17 R +24 W +17 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 10' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 6/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 5/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), SF: Blue Scarf, See Invisibility, Shield, Haste

Mal has defensive strategist and had Mage armor up for a 31 AC incase that changes the damage he suffered, or allowed him an AoO on green.

Mal spits out some blood," So thats how it'll be... Fine." He instantly enters into a defensive crane style and swiftly uses his swordmaster's flair to enter extend his reach. He then clicks his boots to hastily attack the man infront of him. He tries a jab to counter the slice across him first, hoping to catch him off guard and stun him. He then makes a second jab and a cross before finishing with a kick to his abdomen.

I don't have a panache point right now, so I'll use my once daily ability to just activate it, sans panache.
FoB1, stunning fist (DC20): 1d20 + 20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 20 + 1 = 27 Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
FoB2: 1d20 + 20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 20 + 1 = 30 Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Haste: 1d20 + 20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 20 + 1 = 31 Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
FoB3: 1d20 + 15 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 15 + 1 = 18 Damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

36 (+4 vs melee attacks) AC and 10' reach, if it becomes relevant.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras tries to escape from the grapple.

Escape artist: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (12) + 22 = 34

If he is successful he will move 20ft (half speed) to the southeast.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Spellcraft to identify orc-enlarging spell, 40': 1d20 + 21 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 21 - 4 = 27

Daathiel begins Inspire Greatness on Mal and himself. Now 12 rounds used today.
He casts Vanish on Mal after Mal attacks.

Remaining spells are 2 1st, 2 2nd, and 1 4th.

Daathiel Temp HP: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (4, 6) + 6 = 16
Mal, you can roll your temp HP if you like.

He also flies 5' back.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 8 | Init: 5 | Perc: 22 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 0/1 | Reroll 0/1

REFLEX: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17

Flora takes the full brunt of the acid.

She then pulls out a wand and activates it.

grease, +10 to CMD vs grapple (30).


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

That initial arrow fails to find its mark as it strikes the invisible armor protecting Mal, though the axe still does strike home.

Mal's response is devastating, as all four blows land, leaving the fighter stunned and bruised.

Risha offers a few curses before taking a five foot step and shooting a couple arrows at Daathiel--who has yet had a chance to act. The first arrow manages to catch the blinking bard offguard, burying deeply into his thigh.

Then Daathiel begins to GREATly INSPIRE himself and Mal.

The embiggened half-orc then twirls his greataxe in a dazzling display, attempting to intimidate Mal and Daathiel. His deft display of his very large greatsword leaves both of them quite shaken.

Flora greases herself up in preparation to escape the tentacles while Jeras manages to slip free and move out of the tentacles.

The flailing black tentacles of DOOOM attempt to hold onto the slippery halfling, but when they try and squeeze the greasy Flora, she pops free, though she remains in the thicket of rubbery limbs.

The sorcerer casts a spell at Flora, who feels on overwhelming urge to hold still wash over her.

The warrior in chainmail stands there, stunned by the munificence of Mal's assault.

Jeras and Flora feel the rush of wind as the heavy beating of wings fills the night air and the dragon descends into the lantern light, lashing out at Jeras from 10' in the air. Its huge fangs sink deep into the rogue's flesh, tearing a sizable chunk out of the rogue.

GM Screen:
fortitude: 1d20 ⇒ 10
shortbow att: 1d20 ⇒ 9piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 and Sneak dmg?: 5d6 ⇒ (6, 2, 4, 6, 6) = 24
shortbow att: 1d20 ⇒ 2piercing: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 and Sneak dmg?: 5d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 2, 2, 2) = 10
blink miss, high=hit: 1d100 ⇒ 74
Intimidate: 1d20 ⇒ 20
CMB Black Tentacles: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Bite att: 1d20 ⇒ 6damage: 4d6 + 27 ⇒ (3, 5, 5, 4) + 27 = 44
At least that nat-20 was an intimidate check and NOT the dragon's bite...

Jeras, how is your base speed 40 feet? If it's only 30, you are still in the black tentacles, on the very edge.

Current init order. BOLD may act,.
Mal 25 dmg, Shaken 5 rounds, Inspire Greatness ;
GRAY/BLACK: Risha (light armor, shortbow, shortswords)
Daathiel 27 dmg, +16 temp hp, Blinking, Shaken 6 rounds, Inspire Greatness
Flora: 43dmg,, Greased up, in tentacles but NOT grappled, WILL SAVE please ;
RED (Half-orc spiked full plate w/ Great Sword)
Jeras 50dmg,
PINK (half-elf Arcane caster)
GREEN (Human Chainmail & Greataxe) 63 dmg
Dragon

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +10 R +14 W +10 ** | Init +7 | Per +14 | Performance 32/32 | Probable Path 1/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2|

Ah, sorry, my bad for going too soon. Daathiel will still have cast Vanish on Mal, in addition to using Inspire Greatness. So Mal is invisible.

501 to 550 of 618 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.