[PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar]

Game Master Uktar

A tournament-style adventure for 11th-level characters, written by Tim Hitchcock


301 to 350 of 692 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal tries to cheer at the crowd, as he eliminated his opponents.

Performance1: 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 5 - 2 = 9 Hopefully didn't take make worse, if I went worse than indifferent I wouldn't make the second check and I'd advise we just leave it, since we don't want to make things worse mechanically. In general we should be very cautious (except Daathiel) about making performance checks unless we have the benefits (e.g. multiple strikes adding bonuses), or we're at indifferent (the lowest DC).
Performance2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Mal exits the ring, sits on his carpet, dons his boots, and uses a few magical gems to recover his blessings as he floats back to his vantage to watch more elimination bouts.

Pearl of Power for Divine Favor


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

No worries. I'll assume the default of the party never making a check if the crowd gets to hostile, unless someone specifically says they'll check against hostile. Flora, your checks can't get you any victory points, so we'll just move on.

After a few minutes of the chaos and hubbub of the match ending and the floor being cleared and prepared for the next bout, the Emissary pulls you aside near the rear of his viewing platform and says, "It's time for the third test of your skills and abilities. And it is a simple task: there is a a scintillating ruby bracelet made of 99 tiny gems, braided together with golden filaments. I need you to retrieve this bracelet before sundown." The Emissary pauses and then offers half a smirk. "Of course, this bracelet is currently in the possession of a guardian named Tsavati in the bamboo forest north of Yun Chumo. You must locate and defeat the guardian, retrieve the bracelet, and return it to me by sundown. I'll be here in the Grand Pavilion until sundown. Good luck." He turns and heads back to his throne.

As you prepare to head to the bamboo forest north of Yun Chumo, Jeras is wracked with a pain that reaches into his very soul.
Time to either throw off the effects of the temporary negative level, or the neg level becomes permanent (and you should be able to get it restored after the tourney). JERAS please make a Fortitude save. Also:
Current Status:
Daathiel 2 dmg
Jeras 1 negative level, 94 dmg
Mal
Flora: 3 dmg

See Shadewood on Map

The bamboo forest is dense with tall, thin bamboo stalks standing an average of 50 feet from the forest floor. The 8-inch-diameter shoots are bare of any foliage from the ground to a height of approximately 40 feet, where masses of thick leaves create a translucent canopy. Other than the bamboo itself, no other undergrowth exists in the forest.

You get the sense that any creature in the canopy would probably gain cover against creatures on the ground, as well as concealment as though it were in light undergrowth. All normal penalties on movement and on Acrobatics and Stealth checks apply within the canopy, as though it were ground-borne undergrowth. A PC can scale a bamboo shoot with a DC 15 Climb check, and each plant has AC 4, hardness 5, and 20 hit points.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal floats between the bamboo stalks on his carpet and turns to Flora, “ I’ve practiced in martial tournaments and practice bouts with monks my whole life, so this tournament is second nature to me, but as to actual nature, I have no skill, but I expect that you do... Do you see any creature’s tracks?

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

fort: 1d20 + 14 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 14 - 1 = 33

"Guys, I need some serious healing before we continue."

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

As for healing, I think we have wands mostly. Feel free to use some of my charges if you are concerned about your own wand.

First Flora taps herself with her wand of heightened awareness and tries to get a lay of the land.

Kn. Geography: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 16 + 2 = 19
Kn. Nature: 1d20 + 23 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 23 + 2 = 27

She then uses her wand of Deadeye's lore and starts looking for any signs of tracks.

Survival: 1d20 + 27 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 27 + 4 = 48

She will then concentrate on manifesting her familiar and send it scouting around over the canopy.

Perception (familiar): 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (5) + 23 = 28

Once she has some idea of a direction, she will lead the party onward. If she spots anything of interest in the forest, she will concentrate and sift through the area.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

We have far better than wands. We have a BARD!

Daathiel begins his Soothing Performance, healing Jeras (and anybody else injured)
Mass CSW: 3d8 + 12 ⇒ (6, 4, 6) + 12 = 28
Mass CSW: 3d8 + 12 ⇒ (1, 7, 1) + 12 = 21
Mass CSW: 3d8 + 12 ⇒ (3, 1, 5) + 12 = 21
Mass CSW: 3d8 + 12 ⇒ (4, 6, 3) + 12 = 25

1 round of performance used in the prior fight, and 16 used here. That makes 17 used, 15 left.

Daathiel casts Heroism, Heightened Awareness, and Echolocation on himself, and has his wand of Shield in hand.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Jeras feels the weight of his wound from the fight with Ganyavesha fade, and the spring in his step returns.

As you move away from the Grand Pavilion and approach the bamboo forest, Flora very quickly picks up on a trail that leads straight into the heart of the forest. You follow the trail for the for more than an hour, though once you're well into the forest, Flora feels no need to use her wand any more. The trail is easily enough followed.
Once located and away from pavilion, take ten easily follows the trail.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal laments ,” I like it much better when my opponents want to fight, not hide in the forest.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Flora, per elemental whispers, in order to have your Familiar out & about, you have to maintain concentration on its manifestation. Nobody else has Survival as a trained skill, so you have to do the tracking. Ergo, you can't both have Familiar and track (well, not if you want to also move). Unless someone else has something up their sleeve for the tracking? Also, for when you have the familiar out, do you have a stat sheet for it? What kind of bird? And last but not least, Sift has a range of 30', the canopy is a pretty uniform 40' up. The sift will help with anything within 30' but doesn't help with canopy.

Please place yourselves in marching order, moving from left to right.
See Map
From ground level up to 40', you're free to move as you wish. From 40 to 50/55', there's dense bamboo canopy. The canopy provides cover against creatures on the ground, as well as concealment as though it were in light undergrowth. All normal penalties on movement and on Acrobatics and Stealth checks apply within the canopy, as though it were ground-borne undergrowth. A PC can scale a bamboo shoot with a DC 15 Climb check, and each plant has AC 4, hardness 5, and 20 hit points.
Mal, Daathiel, let me know what altitude you're maintaining while flying along with the party.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

I'd be at an altitude of 5'

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

The plan was we'd stop every so often and I'd send the familiar up for an aerial view of the immediate vicinity, not to have it constantly active.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

after healing

"Thank you Daathiel! I feel much better now! "

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Daathiel will be at an altitude of 20'. Possibly his Echolocation can notice hidden things in the canopy. He'll also keep Blink active from his ring.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras takes in hands his potion of fly and one dagger.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The party works their way through the strangest bamboo forest in the world, for the canopy is thick overhead, but it's easy to pass through the ground level. Every 15 minutes or so, Flora pauses in her tracking and sends up her little bird for some arial recon. Each report is the same. A long continuous blanket of canopy. On its fourth report, it mentions a large clearing ahead, with some sort of structure. It's about a thousand feet ahead. Just a few minutes later, Jeras hears what might be the sounds of a spell being cast coming from somewhere up ahead in the canopy.

It's been about an hour. All your 10 min/level spells are still up (NOT heightened awareness from a wand, obviously). You did not pinpoint where the quiet voice was casting from, though you figure it must've been fairly close, and definitely from in front of the group somewhere.

I'll let y'all roll your own initiatives, and give me one round of actions. Jeras gets to act in Surprise Round (that's one move OR one standard action), in addition to his one round of other actions. Obviously, using heightened awareness to boost init is not an option, unless it was already in place (don't know if Daathiel's was his own spell or a wand).

GM screen:
hmm: 1d100 ⇒ 48
Flora: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (7) + 22 = 29
Jeras: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (20) + 23 = 43
Mal: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (3) + 24 = 27
Daathiel: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31
1d20 ⇒ 12

Bamboo is actually a grass:
Sorry for the editorial opinion, but this is NOT how bamboo grows...it's a grass, stalks grow tight together, it doesn't form a thick canopy, etc. If anything, it should be easier to move through the canopy of a bamboo forest compared to ground level. Description is more like a eucalyptus forest. But regardless of real world, the mechanics work as described, i.e. can travel through lack of undergrowth from ground level up to height of 40', canopy is thick, etc.

Current conditions:
From ground level up to height of 40', you're free to move as you wish. From 40 to 50', there's dense canopy. The canopy provides cover against creatures on the ground, as well as concealment as though it were in light undergrowth. All normal penalties on movement and on Acrobatics and Stealth checks apply within the canopy, as though it were ground-borne undergrowth (+2 to DC for checks, 2 squares of movement per square, 20% miss chance on ranged attack IF you can see target). A PC can scale a bamboo shoot with a DC 15 Climb check, and each plant has AC 4, hardness 5, and 20 hit points.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Flora would move in whatever direction Jeras indicated and try to have a look around.

Perception: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (17) + 22 = 39

Note, that due to the waterdancer talent I have a constant slipstream effect active. So I'll need to know if the terrain is flat or sloping.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Wrote my post assuming Jeras says something about spellcasting

Mal grunts,” Hide behind all the spells you like, it won’t help

He blinks slightly as his eyes begin to sheen with his innate racial power. He then calls on Torag to bless his strikes. He then looks around for this hidden foe and takes a 5’ step towards it.

See Invisibility standard, move active perception, divine favor swift

init: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14

perception: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (16) + 24 = 40

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

"Someone casts a spell it that direction!"

Jeras drinks his potion of fly. Surprise Round
Then he flies toward the source of spellcasting and takes the second dagger out.

init: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

If it matters, Daathiel had an extra +2 Perception from Heroism and an extra +2 from Heightened Awareness for a +18. And his Heightened Awareness was in fact his own spell. He will expend that for the initiative bonus.

Initiative: 1d20 + 7 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 4 = 12

Daathiel casts Mirror Image. 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 images appear.

Spells used so far today: 3/3/1/1; spell slots are 7/7/5/4.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Be sure to move your token on the map.
If you're at a height of 40' to 50', difficult terrain applies.
Flora: The gentle upward slope of the forest floor toward the dormant volcano would be considered flat for Slipstream.
Mal Technically, you can't take a 5' step upward (though a 5' step downward can cover 10' horizontally), but that's immaterial here.

The party makes its preparation for battle. Mal notices little else, other than his fellow pathfinders.

Everyone may take another round of actions

Current init order. BOLD may act
Jeras
Flora:
Mal
Daathiel 7 images

Current conditions:
From ground level up to height of 40', you're free to move as you wish. From 40 to 50', there's dense canopy. Dense Canopy=
- cover against creatures on the ground,
- concealment as though it were in light undergrowth. (20% miss chance on ranged attack.)
- +2 DC on on Acrobatics and Stealth checks within the canopy
- Movement in canopy: 2 squares of movement per square,
- can scale a bamboo shoot with a DC 15 Climb check, and each plant has AC 4, hardness 5, and 20 hit points.

gm screen:
hmm: 1d20 ⇒ 15

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal willl fly up in the direction of the sound Jeras heard above the canopy, utilizing his boots for great speed 70’ .

that is a move, next action will depend on what I see above the canopy

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

I just realized that moving forward 35 and up 35 won't get me above the canopy. Instead I'll just fly directly up (60' of movement gets me to the top of the canopy [55' up]) and then forward 10'

Fly check: DC 20 to fly up greater than 45 degrees: 1d20 + 12 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 12 + 5 = 31

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Daathiel will also fly up (double move, at half speed, so 30' of ascent to 50' altitude).
Have a +20 Fly with Heroism up, so don't need to roll.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

I didn't notice that on flying. For ascending, I'm moving at half speed so that was a double move. Obviously if I see something before going through canopy I'd take a different standard

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras again flies up. 55' altitude

fly: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
perception: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (17) + 23 = 40


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The Flying Brigade of the Pathfinder Paragons bursts through the canopy and sees...a lot of grey clouds and green canopy. The good news is that the drizzle has let up, but the day remains grey and dreary.

While I'd prefer to drag this out for the suspense and tension, going round-by-round, this is a looong module, so I'll cut a bit more to the chase: you each can now take 8 rounds of actions. Please try and imagine how your character would act with each passing round. You do not need to give us a round-by-round blow-by-blow unless there are specific things you want to accomplish with each round. (Though you're certainly welcome to give us full blow-by-blow if you'd like)
Flora, yes, you have 9 rounds of actions if you'd like to use them.
And of course, you may change your actions if someone else suggests something/does something after you've already posted. I'll wait until all 4 post, see if someone has something that might speed this up, and we'll sort it out.

Current init order. BOLD may act
Jeras 40 rounds of flight
Flora:
Mal will be 1 round of divine favor remaining
Daathiel 7 images

Current conditions:
From ground level up to height of 40', you're free to move as you wish. From 40 to 50', there's dense canopy.
- cover against creatures on the ground,
- concealment as though it were in light undergrowth. (20% miss chance on ranged attack.
- +2 DC on on Acrobatics and Stealth checks within the canopy
- Movement in canopy: 2 squares of movement per square,
- can scale a bamboo shoot with a DC 15 Climb check, and each plant has AC 4, hardness 5, and 20 hit points.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal calls out very loudly when he emerges from the canopy and sees nothing,

We're here for the bracelet. Come out and face us, or incur the wrath of our mighty tree-kin halfling!

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 Probably nothing, but whatever

More annoyed than anything else, Mal continues searching for his foe until he finds it.

Outside of my perception check, which our 40ish checks did nothing, I have nothing to speed it up


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

If nobody comes up with a solution, think about how you want to be arranged/moving around as a team while spending half a minute or so looking around, both where your token is on the map, and what height you're at.
And let me know if you're moving, whether in a single direction, or search spiral outward, or turtling up and keeping an eye open. (Or splitting up and going in four different directions--hey, who doesn't love horror-movie-victim logic?)
And to confirm: Mal I know you do have See Invisibility up, and yet you see nothing.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

If it isn’t above the canopy I recommend we return to below the canopy, unless Flora has a way to join us up here. Above canopy we have our massive perceptions and nothing giving cover, so I will float at 40’ just below canopy and continue searching. I would recommend we stay reasonably close together for when we do find it.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

Nope. Flora has no way of flying and a -1 Climb modifier, so she is staying on the ground. She has no way of finding invisible things either if that is what we are up against.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras has one more potion of fly if Flora wants he can give to her.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Daathiel has Echolocation active, which lasts a long time but has only 40' range.

He will fly in a short tight loop above the canopy, then stay near Mal and follow the monk's lead.

I don't think he has any great tricks for finding a hidden foe other than Perception checks and Echolocation. No spells seem applicable here, no masterpieces or performances...

It would be cool to use Fascinate combined with Lamentable Belaborment to make our hidden foe start babbling incoherently, but unfortunately Daathiel has to be able to see a target to Fascinate them.

Daathiel casts Acute Senses, for a +20 enhancement bonus to Perception, bringing his Perception up to +36 (with Heroism).


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Check your placement on the map and make certain you set your height as well.
See map

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

I’m ok with the relative position, just wondering if Jeras wants to come closer to Daathiel and myself. As far as absolute position I don’t think we have any way of moving ourselves :)

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras flies closer to others.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The Flying Brigade spends a few rounds flying around and searching the area where Jeras heard someone spellcasting, then you circle back and form up near Flora. About half a minute of pulse-pounding tension passes, as you see every branch bounce from a bird flitting about. Almost immediately after Mal feels the divine power of Torag fade from his body, he and Daathiel spy a medium-sized dragon moving forward through the canopy. As soon as it gets within forty feet of Daathiel, it shrieks in frustration, then unleashes first a lightning bolt, then QUICKly sends a couple of scorching rays at the kineticist. It's frustration at being spotted clearly affects its aim.

electrical dmg: 10d6 + 10 ⇒ (1, 1, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 6, 6) + 10 = 51 DC:17 Reflex save for half
range touch: 1d20 ⇒ 1 for fire dmg: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 3, 3) = 14
range touch: 1d20 ⇒ 12 for fire dmg: 4d6 ⇒ (1, 2, 5, 4) = 12

Current init order. BOLD may act
Jeras
Flora: 12 fire dmg, 51/25 electrical dmg
Mal

Daathiel 7 images
Bronze Dragon STILL INVISIBLE, Mal and Daathiel can see it. I don't believe Flora and Jeras can.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal grins at the creature You've clearly not been paying attention to the tournament. I have a feeling Flora is about to make you into a pin-cushion

He flies towards it, activating his blue scarf and swinging a haymaker directly at the creature's head, annoyed at its cowardice. As he strikes he attempts to strike fear into its heart.
attack: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (20) + 22 = 42 damage: 1d8 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
confirm: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (6) + 22 = 28 Additional damage, including 5 precision if panache is recovered: 1d8 + 12 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 12 + 5 = 20

Intimidate: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Can I use Gallant Inspiration on a failed confirmation roll? Would like to do so if possible and necessary.

Daathiel casts Dispel Magic, targeting the spell Greater Invisibility.
CL: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
Sigh. Still not regretting refusing to take Glitterdust.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

28 fails to confirm, and COnfirmation roll is an attack roll, and we are already in intiative, so gallantly inspire away. (Any time it comes up, feel free to proactively roll it, even if you're not sure it'll be needed)
gallant inspiration: 2d4 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6
Crit is now confirmed

Mal flies forward and delivers a punishing blow right to the creature's snout. While the blow is brutally effective, the dragon is hardly intimidated by Mal's display.

Unfortunately, Daathiel is unable to dispel its Greater Invisibility, so Flora and Jeras merely hear it curse in Tien at the blow.

Current init order. BOLD may act
Jeras
Flora: 12 fire dmg, 51/25 electrical dmg?? Ref DC 17 for half

. Mal
. Daathiel 7 images
. Dragon 38 dmg? INVISIBLE


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Mal, that was 80' of movement, btw. Either you had to have dropped to 35' (below canopy), or explain how you overcame the difficult terrain of canopy--boots of speed do not boost your carpet's movement.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen
GM Uktar wrote:
Mal, that was 80' of movement, btw. Either you had to have dropped to 35' (below canopy), or explain how you overcame the difficult terrain of canopy--boots of speed do not boost your carpet's movement.

Not sure I follow, since I was at 40', next to Daathiel, and I thought this was triggered by Daathiel being within 40' of him.

I think I understand what you're saying now. Canopy is difficult terrain at 40'. I had intended to be just below it, so yes I'd be at 35'.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras drops 10' (free fall), then start to fly underneath the Canopy and then up. So that he can flank the dragon with Mal.

- 10' free fall out of canopy - 60' underneath the canopy - 10' up in the canopy

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

I know that Jeras does not see the dragon but I have moved him closer to the dragon because he saw where Mal strikes.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |
Jeras van Hidden wrote:
I know that Jeras does not see the dragon but I have moved him closer to the dragon because he saw where Mal strikes.

Works for me. Double move to work to that position without provoking, and as long as somebody knows what square she's in (Mal and Daathiel, at the moment), you all can target that square.

Flora, you're up. Start with Reflex Save for half damage on the lightning bolt.

Current init order. BOLD may act
Jeras
Flora: 12 fire dmg, 51/25 electrical dmg (ref DC 17)
Mal
Daathiel 7 images

Current conditions:
From ground level up to height of 40', you're free to move as you wish. From 40 to 50', there's dense canopy. Dense Canopy=
- cover against creatures on the ground,
- concealment as though it were in light undergrowth. (20% miss chance on ranged attack.
- +2 DC on on Acrobatics and Stealth checks within the canopy
- Movement in canopy: 2 squares of movement per square,
- can scale a bamboo shoot with a DC 15 Climb check, and each plant has AC 4, hardness 5, and 20 hit points.

The Concordance

Neutral Good Halfling Kineticist 10 (Sheet) (Equipment) | HP: 123/123 (50 nonlethal) | AC: 34 (18 T, 29 F) | Fortification: 25% | CMD: 22 | F: 18, R: 16, W: 9 | Init: 5 | Perc: 23 | Speed 30, swim 20 |
Tracked Resources:
Burn 5/10 | Internal Buffer 1/1 | Reroll 0/1

REFLEX: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (13) + 17 = 30

Glitterdust isn't something I've found a wand of yet and I haven't had the cash to spare for a fully charged one. I probably should get a few scrolls now that my UMD is getting really good.

There isn't anything I can do about the invisibility either. I can't use the dispel magic wand as I can't target a creature I can't see.

She tries to blast the invisible creature the others are fighting.

empowered extended range cold blast
miss: 1d100 ⇒ 14

But her blast flies wide.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

The bronze dragon takes a 5' flutter, dropping out of the canopy while moving ten feet northward. It breathes a line a electricity that blasts both Mal and Flora on the ground below. Mal is able to EVADE the breath weapon, and Flora does her best to avoid the damage, but having burned through so much power, even an indirect blast is enough to cause her to fall unconscious on the ground. Then the dragon QUICKENly casts a spell, and Mal is battered by five forceful magic missiles.

fly: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Electrical damage: 6d8 + 6 ⇒ (3, 7, 8, 4, 6, 8) + 6 = 42
flora ref: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25
mal ref: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (6) + 24 = 30
Force damage: 5d5 + 5 ⇒ (4, 3, 5, 2, 3) + 5 = 22

Current init order. BOLD may act
Jeras
Flora: 58 dmg +70 NL dmg, Unconscious BUT STABLE
Mal 22 dmg
Daathiel 7 images

Dragon 28 dmg Invisible

Current conditions:
From ground level up to height of 40', you're free to move as you wish. From 40 to 50', there's dense canopy. Dense Canopy=
- cover against creatures on the ground,
- concealment as though it were in light undergrowth. (20% miss chance on ranged attack.
- +2 DC on on Acrobatics and Stealth checks within the canopy
- Movement in canopy: 2 squares of movement per square,
- can scale a bamboo shoot with a DC 15 Climb check, and each plant has AC 4, hardness 5, and 20 hit points.

Flora I believe that breath weapon is enough to knock you unconscious. If I'm wrong and you're still up after the breath weapon, it'll use the magic missile spell on you.
Jeras Because your first 5' moving downward is into canopy, you cannot cover enough distance with a 5' step in order to get a full attack, unless you have some way to either gain reach, or ignore difficult terrain.

Scarab Sages

M Aasimar Archivist 12 | HP 99/99 | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 CMD 21 F +12 R +16 W +12 ** | Init +7 | Per +16 | Performance 28/32 | Probable Path 0/1 | Reroll 0/1 | Lore Master 2/2| Spells 5/7, 3/7, 2/5, 1/4 |Active: Heroism, Echolocation, Grand Destiny

Daathiel casts Dispel Magic again on the Greater Invisibility.

CL: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

He draws his wand of Shield and flies 5'.

The Exchange

Male LG Aasimar Swashbuckler 5, Monk 2, Warpriest 4, Brawler 1 | HP 97/97| AC 34, T 29, FF 24 | CMD 40 | F +19 R +28 W +18 | Init +13 (+11 without panache) | Perc +26, SM +23 | Speed 30ft, Fly 40ft Carpet of Flying| Reach 5' | Panache 0/1; Fervor 5/6; Blessings 5/5; Stunning Fist 4/5; Haste 10/10; Bane 5/5| Active Conditions: Snake/crane Style, Greater Magic Weapon (CL13), See Invisibility, Mage Armor, heroism, mutagen

Mal wipes the blood off his face where a missile gave him a glancing blow. He looks back at his unconscious ally, and turns back towards the dragon, “ That was a mistake!”.

He calls upon Torag to bless his strikes, steps up, clicks his boots, and brings everything he has to bear on the creature. Switching to lethal damage

Flurry 1, stunning fist DC20: 1d20 + 1 + 20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 20 + 2 = 24 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 24
Flurry 2: 1d20 + 20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 20 + 1 + 2 = 34 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 26
Flurry 3: 1d20 + 1 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 1 + 15 + 2 = 24 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 24
Haste: 1d20 + 1 + 15 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 1 + 15 + 2 = 34 damage: 1d8 + 12 + 2 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 12 + 2 + 5 = 25

He tries to follow up the haymaker with a quick jab to the neck but miscalculates on the dragon and misses wildly. He then flips, performing a kick with his left foot which finds its mark on the dragon’s torso. He tries to follow with a right knee which glances off its scales, before landing an elbow strike to its head once more.

Grand Lodge

Male CN Elf Rogue 12 | HP 111/111 | AC 26 T 17 FF 20 | CMB +8, CMD 26 | F: +14, R: +21; +4 for traps W: +13; +2 vs. enchantment | Init: +9 | Senses low-light vision; Perc: +23 (+29 to locate traps), SM: +6 | Speed 40ft | / | | Active conditions: None.

Jeras looks where Mal hits the "air", flies there and stabs once.

free fall 10 ft

+3 dagger adamantine-flank: 1d20 + 20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 20 + 2 = 42
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
sneak attack: 6d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 2, 6, 3, 2) = 20

confirm crit: 1d20 + 20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 20 + 2 = 37
damage: 1d4 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

miss - high is good for me: 1d100 ⇒ 81

Debilitating Injury (Ex) - Hampered: All of the target’s speeds are reduced by half (to a minimum of 5 feet). In addition, the target cannot take a 5-foot step.


maps & images for The Ruby Phoenix Tournament |

Mal manages to land a couple of blows to the dragon, doing some damage. Jeras nods his thanks to Daathiel as the dragon suddenly appears, her greater invisiblity having been dismissed. Jeras seizes upon the opportunity to sink his dagger deep into her ribs, just below her wing. The brutally effective blow puts the dragon down, and she gently floats to the ground.

After a few minutes, her body shimmers and returns to the form of a Nagaji woman dressed in robes. While her body is covered in pale green scales, her head has metallic bronze ones. Given that she is not carrying any kind of a spell component pouch, you imagine she must be a sorceress of some kind...and she just happens to be wearing a ruby bracelet matching the description given to you by the Emissary.

Jeras FYI, even if you manage to strike a target you cannot see, you cannot get sneak damage to apply. You must be able to see the target. In this case, sneak did go through, because Daathiel would've let you know he was trying to get rid of it, and his dispel check succeeded. (Actually, same applies for crits I believe, but again irrelevant here)

Mal, I am still assuming you are dealing nonlethal, unless you tell me otherwise.

Out of initiative, Flora needs some healing. Anything else you want to do here, or just take bracelet back to Emissary before sundown?

301 to 350 of 692 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PbP GD VIII] PFS Mod: Ruby Phoenix Tournament (levels 10-12) [GM Uktar] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.