[SFS]Vamp By Day's PbP 1-31, Treading on History's Folly (Inactive)

Game Master VampByDay

A secretive Archaeological mission leads Starfinders to find information that a foolish Starfinder may have forgotten on his first mission. This is a story-heavy archaeological-based scenario.

Slides


1 to 50 of 254 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

This is a place holder. Dot in if you want.


Each of you receive the following message delivered to your commlink

You have shown yourself to be an exemplary agent. As such, I have need of you for an urgent and highly classified mission. Do not speak of it to other agents, faction leaders, or even First Seeker Luwazi Elsebo.
I need you to meet me at the attached coordinates, inside the Lorespire Complex.
It’s under construction, but it is quite safe. The date and time have already been entered into your comm unit.

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

Most irregular thinks the mighty Vesk, Compucast.

Still, covert missions require discretion, and perhaps the lack of communication with the First Seeker is around testing that.

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

"Excuse me Vesk," a khizar addresses Compucast telepathically in a monotonal pitch. "I have just received a message on my technological device but am unable to read it. Might you inform me of its contents?" It holds a personal comm device out to the vesk.

This humanoid-shaped plant has two arms, two legs, vestigial vines on their backs, and greenish-brown skin of tough cellulose fiber. It has hydrostatic skeletal structures. It's limbs end in rootlike tendrils with some manipulative ability, but seem clumsier than a humanoid’s fingers. It's head is actually complex seedpods; these tough, translucent membranes over woody latticeworks contain phosphorescent seed clusters that glow softly through the papery membrane when it telepathically speaks, reminding you that the species has the nickname “lanternfolk.” It seems to sway ever so slightly from side to side, giving it a definite tree-like demeanor here in the Lorespire Complex.

Dataphiles

Lashunta Gladiator Operative (Star Knight) 5 | SP 40/40 | HP 34/34 | RP 6/8 KAC 22 | EAC 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +10 | Will +6 | Per +10 | Init+7

A Korasha Lashunta wearing light armor, but decorated like a Hellknight enters the area.

She looks at the two already here. She nods to them, but does not offer any communication at this time.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Lashunta Solarian 5 Korasha Lashunta Xenoseeker Solarian | SP 45/45 HP 39/39 | RP 4/6 EAC 16; KAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +2; Will +3 | Init: +1 |spd 40| Perc: +3, SM: -1 | Photon Mode 0/3 |Sidereal Influence- stealt

Another Korasha Lashunta enters the area. A glowing yellow orb floats above his head.

He finds a spot to sit and proceeds to meditate.

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

Compucast looks uafluozhahaeed up and down, trying to work out what sort of creature it really is. Taking the coms device he scans it. "This is a private message for you. To seek out the former first seeker..."

He looks over the other arrivals. "Greetings. It is fitting that warriors should know each others Strengths and names. I am known as Compucast. It is not my true name, but a tradename that will serve well enough. The magic of the Vesk imperium is at my clawtips."

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

"Gratitude, vesk"

When Compucast speak to the others, the plant creature faces it's lattice of seedpods in that direction. All who are within 60ft hear telepathically, "Greetings. I am Starfinder Uafluohzhaheed. I can only perceive within a short range of myself. Who, where, and what are you?"

Khizar do not have sight and only have senses that reach a max of 30ft.

Acquisitives

Male LN Dwarf corporate agent mystic (steward officer) 3 | SP 21/21 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +2; Ref +1; Will +7 +2 against poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 | Speed 20ft | (Darkvision) | Spells: (3/4) | Active conditions: None.

Before

Baxter hears the chime of his com, the tone tells him it is the Starfinders. As he sits up from the office couch he sits up the empty scotch tumbling onto floor, 'Where the hell did I put that data pad'.

After reading the message he he pulls up his agency calendar moving his few meetings to the requires assignment folder. Message for Harris, Boss sorry for no warning, but I need a little PTO, I let you know when I get home.

Now

A dwarf arrives late to the meeting, he wears rumpled civilian garb and seems to be caring a hard copy news sheet. He looks around the room. 'A Vesk, two 'shunts and a plant walk into a bar' hearing the message from Uafluozhaheed he sends a telepathic message back to the Khizar "Greetings Starfinder, I am Baxter Higgs, a Dwarf"

"Sorry I am late, call me Higgs. Compucast do you mind acting as primary? I like a good chain of command.


The room you enter seems unfinished. There is only one other occupant of the room, which all but the khizar instantly recognize as second seeker Jadnura, a tall and stoic male Kasatha. He stares out the window with all four arms folded behind his back.

"I’m glad you could make it. I apologize for the secretive nature of this briefing.” Jadnura turns and paces a mostly empty meeting room, with only a single table in front of a force-field shielded viewing port. He looks each assembled agent in the eye. “I want you to know that I hold the fine work of First Seeker Luwazi Elsebo in the highest regard, but if she knew I was assembling Starfinder Agents for missions, it would complicate the already difficult situation of having two First Seekers. What I ask of you is of paramount importance to the Society, you see I—how do I begin?” Jadnura looks out the vast open port at the stunning view of The Eye of Absalom Station. His hand dances across the force field window before he continues. “I have failed the Society. Over a year ago I discovered an artifact called a 'Tear' on a small moon known as Kukanou-2b. It guided me to the Scoured Stars trinary star system. I dreamt of making impressive new discoveries, perhaps even some protected from the ravages of The Gap. In my excitement I had forgotten caution. For that, the Society lost so much.” He takes a deep breath, then exhales slowly. “Resources. Lives. So many of those under my command were trapped or killed behind the Godshield that enveloped the system.
“I need to make amends, that much is certain. But I also need to find out where I went wrong. What vital clue I must have missed. For that, I need you.”
As he continues speaking, he looks at each Starfinder meaningfully. “You are the finest group of agents that I can assemble, each with an impressive service record. I need you to go to Kukanou-2b, where my folly began. Retrace my steps and find any clues to this . . . 'Tear,' the Scoured Stars, or anything else that can make sense of this catastrophe. If you find anything illuminating, return to me at once. Do you have any questions before you depart?”

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Lashunta Solarian 5 Korasha Lashunta Xenoseeker Solarian | SP 45/45 HP 39/39 | RP 4/6 EAC 16; KAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +2; Will +3 | Init: +1 |spd 40| Perc: +3, SM: -1 | Photon Mode 0/3 |Sidereal Influence- stealt

Smiling as he jumps up, I'm Magnus. Hopefully, we'll be sent somewhere sunny and not back to Nightarch. Gloomy place and full of conniving demon worshipers."

"If we get into a scuffle, I like to be in the thick of it and try to provide openings for my friends." Coordinated Shot- When you are threatening a foe with a melee weapon, any ally that has line of sight to that foe without you granting that foe cover gains a +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls against that foe.

Looking at the other Lashunta, "That reminds me, I might need to call in a favor. I've been training using heavier armor but have not picked up a set for myself. I did a job a while back for The Order of the Pike and they said I could borrow some armor."


Magnus Chaal wrote:
I'm Magnus. Hopefully, we'll be sent somewhere sunny and not back to Nightarch. Gloomy place and full of conniving demon worshipers."

Overhearing his remark, the Second Seeker shakes his head.

”Sorry to disappoint, but this place is far from sunny, though no demon-worshippers, not as far as I am aware.
“The destination star system has only two planets orbiting around a blue star. The first is l almost entirely molten rock, the second is a gas giant with various moons. You’re heading toward one of those moons. Kukanou-2b once had a liquid core but met some seismic l catastrophe that rendered it lifeless. I found the Tear in a carved-out chamber near the l surface, perhaps left there by smugglers or, as with the Tear Luwazi found, hidden away l by the civilization it was intended for.”

Dataphiles

Lashunta Gladiator Operative (Star Knight) 5 | SP 40/40 | HP 34/34 | RP 6/8 KAC 22 | EAC 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +10 | Will +6 | Per +10 | Init+7

The Hellknight turns toward Jadnura.

"It is good that you take responsibility for your actions, and seek to make amends. I also understand the need for information to be held closely and disseminated only as needed.

I will gladly look into this matter. What can you tell us of any dangers you might expect us to face."

She then turns toward Magnus with a bit of surprise, "You've done work for The Order of the Pike? I am Hellknight Henderthane, of The Order of the Pike.

As far as what I bring personally to the mission, I find people usually do what I ask of them. In a fight, I prefer to take the fight to my enemies, but am adaptable to fighting from range as well."

Switch hitter with a slight preference for melee, very high Bluff and Intimidate, at least slightly skilled with nearly everything, especially with my hireling.


Rosalind Henderthane wrote:

“I will gladly look into this matter. What can you tell us of any dangers you might expect us to face."

”I am embarrassed to say that I did not venture too far into the moon. Once I found the tear I-I was so excited I just left with it. What I could have learned if I had only done proper research? Well, I guess that is what I am sending you for.

“To get back to your question: I do not know. When I went there I encountered no hostiles, but like I said, I didn’t go far. The planet’s atmosphere was unpleasant, but armor environmental protections or the spell ‘life bubble’ should he should be sufficient.”

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

"Henderthane. I have been on mission with you before." Ua sends monotonally. "Do you have more information about the tear?"

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

Compucast nods to the original first seeker.
"My own armor will suffice. For weaker allies, I can provide a life bubble." he says to reassure his allies.

"While I don't generally engage in hand to hand combat, I have a degree of skill with it." The large Vesk flexes the claws built into his armor. "And take a degree of satisfaction in staying in shape."

Turning once more to the Second Seeker he adds "Do you have maps? Any notes from your first trip that might help? Fragments of languages that were left behind? Traps or guardians that you overcame so we might have an idea of what we will face?"

His face scowls a bit. "Though I suspect if the place is lifeless it will be traps and undead."


”Like I said, I didn’t encounter any hostiles. And the moon wasn’t. . . Terribly stable when I last scanned it, but other than that, no traps. I found the tear in a small Tabernacle about half a kilometer in, but it wasn’t trapped as far as I could tell. Again, in my excitement to explore what became known as the scoured stars, I didn’t explore very far into the moon, so there may be traps farther in.

I found the tear below the surface. These are the cursory scans I took of the area.”
(He sends out rough scans of the moon, which involves an extensive network of caves and tunnels beneath the surface. The scans include where he landed and where he found the tear.)

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

"When you say... unstable... could you qualify that for us? Moonquakes? Tunnel collapse?" presses Compucast. The Vesk spends some time looking at the scans, trying to make sense of them.

physical science: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23


”Well, I don’t know precisely. I’d recommend getting some good scans of the moon if you can. No moonquakes went off while I was there, but sensors did warn of geological instability. Likely whatever ‘catastrophe’ ended life on the moon somehow destabilized it. Perhaps a rogue planet passed by or it collided with Dark Matter or some other exotic cosmic unknown.”

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Lashunta Solarian 5 Korasha Lashunta Xenoseeker Solarian | SP 45/45 HP 39/39 | RP 4/6 EAC 16; KAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +2; Will +3 | Init: +1 |spd 40| Perc: +3, SM: -1 | Photon Mode 0/3 |Sidereal Influence- stealt

"Do we know the gravity pull? I don't know if any of you have worked with Morlamaws. Big walrus-like creatures. Great swimmers, no so fast on the land. Anyways, I was teamed up with a pair on a high gravity planet. It was a long trek. How are we getting to this moon and do we have time to grab a few supplies?"


Magnus Chaal wrote:
"Do we know the gravity pull? I don't know if any of you have worked with Morlamaws. Big walrus-like creatures. Great swimmers, no so fast on the land. Anyways, I was teamed up with a pair on a high gravity planet. It was a long trek. How are we getting to this moon and do we have time to grab a few supplies?"

"It is a very low-Gravity environment, approximately 1/5 the gravity of Absolom Station-well it is a moon after all. There is a Pegasus-class Science vessel that you are cleared to take it out tomorrow morning; oh-eighthundred hours. According to my files, Rosalind is a class 5 pilot, so she should be able to pilot the craft there if no one else can. The co-ordinates are already in the Nav Computer. If you wish to make purchases between now and then, that is up to you."

Considered low gravity. Jadnura cannot garuntee that you won't run into any space combat, but this scenario doesn't have the starship tag soooooooooo. Just say when and I'll start the next part of the scenario.

Dataphiles

Lashunta Gladiator Operative (Star Knight) 5 | SP 40/40 | HP 34/34 | RP 6/8 KAC 22 | EAC 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +10 | Will +6 | Per +10 | Init+7

Yes, Ua, we have worked together in the past.

Well regarding the gravity we could purchase mag boots, and I have a jet pack. Not sure the mag boots will be effective on the moon though. We should gather ourselves quickly make what purchases we need, and set out. I do indeed have some skill in flying.

+16 piloting with 5 ranks, though if someone else really likes piloting, I don't mind.

I have slotted my boons on my character sheet indicated with italics

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

"Pegasus have some good scanners from my experience. The choice is a solid one.," agrees Compucast.
"I too should buy a jet pack, as I found lack of one in my last mission was an embarrassment." notes Compucast, heading to the Stores.

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

"I do not need any preparation. I will be in the view room of the Pegasus photosynthesizing," Ua says in its normal monotone, matter-of-fact thought voice.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Lashunta Solarian 5 Korasha Lashunta Xenoseeker Solarian | SP 45/45 HP 39/39 | RP 4/6 EAC 16; KAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +2; Will +3 | Init: +1 |spd 40| Perc: +3, SM: -1 | Photon Mode 0/3 |Sidereal Influence- stealt

"Do you mind if I join you Computcast? I was thinking of picking up a few supplies before we head out, as well."

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

"By all means!" smiles Compucast. The sight of the Vesk smiling was not necessarily reassuring though.

"I can't think of anything else we might need, surely will as soon as the vampire hits the sunlight though."


Well, I've waited a day and no one seems to indicate that they are buying anything, so I think we'll just move on.

The next day you pile aboard the Pegasus-class ship and take off, entering the drift. They coordinates indicate the star system is in the Vast, so it should take quite some time to reach your destination.

However, on the fourth day your group encounters a repeating message that is encrypted.

Culture or Computers check DC 27. Remember the Pegasus gives you a +4 bonus to computers checks.:
Decrypting the message reveals it is in Goblin. If you ask Uafluozhaheed, they can translate and it says "Urgent-Request immediate assistance" followed by some coordinates. The coordinates are in the drift but also would take you about a day out of your way.

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

Ua spends as much of the trip as possible in a cargo room, in a planter, under sunlamps. (Though is more than happy to engage in conversation should anyone desire.)

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

Compucast was buying a jetpack

computers: 1d20 + 14 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 14 + 4 = 28

"I think running a guasian filter over this might reduce the noise and let the standard decryption routines work." notes Computcast, setting the Pegasus's computers to the task.

"Goblin. Uafluozhaheed... do you know this?" he pauses for an answer "Assistance required? Well, those coordinates will only take us a day out of our path. Though why someone would be out here..."

Where did you get the Khizar boon from Uaflurohaheed?

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Lashunta Solarian 5 Korasha Lashunta Xenoseeker Solarian | SP 45/45 HP 39/39 | RP 4/6 EAC 16; KAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +2; Will +3 | Init: +1 |spd 40| Perc: +3, SM: -1 | Photon Mode 0/3 |Sidereal Influence- stealt

Magnus bought a jetpack as well

Magnus maintains his training and helps out were needed.


Compucast wrote:

Compucast was buying a jetpack

"I think running a guasian filter over this might reduce the noise and let the standard decryption routines work." notes Computcast, setting the Pegasus's computers to the task.

"Goblin. Uafluozhaheed... do you know this?" he pauses for an answer "Assistance required? Well, those coordinates will only take us a day out of our path. Though why someone would be out here..."

In case it wasn't clear from Compucast's post, there is a ship sending out a distress call in Goblin in the drift. You have coordinates, but it would take you a day off course. You can choose to explore it or not. First option (Explore or stay on course) to get three votes wins.

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

I will opt out of decision making because I have GM'ed this scenario. Khizar / Bantrid was the race boon from GenCon 2018.

Compucast does not get a response after sending the message via the ship's comms. After a couple minutes, though, Ua plods over to his station, "The message says 'Urgent-Request immediate assistance' and is followed by some coordinates. It is common for others to forget that I cannot respond using technologic vocal mediums as I have no voice. I will stay here in case I am needed again." Ua then seems become statue-esk at its current location.

"Oh, and it's Uafluozaheed"

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Lashunta Solarian 5 Korasha Lashunta Xenoseeker Solarian | SP 45/45 HP 39/39 | RP 4/6 EAC 16; KAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +2; Will +3 | Init: +1 |spd 40| Perc: +3, SM: -1 | Photon Mode 0/3 |Sidereal Influence- stealt

"A distress signal in Goblin? Sounds fishy but might be good to look into it. I'm for checking it out."

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

"It is the duty of those who travel the void to aid one another in distress." states Compucast firmly.

"The original first seeker did not convey any sense of urgency in his briefing, just that he wanted us to meet him urgently. And the random nature of the Drift means it is just as likely that we will be early as late. That is this diversion is unlikely to in and of itself prove statistically significant in our arrival time."

Dataphiles

Lashunta Gladiator Operative (Star Knight) 5 | SP 40/40 | HP 34/34 | RP 6/8 KAC 22 | EAC 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +10 | Will +6 | Per +10 | Init+7

"You make an astute argument about him not urging us to hurry, and that the nature of drift travel means we might very well not be disrupting anything by investigating. If there is lawbreaking afoot, it is my duty to do something about it."


The party diverts course to the distress call. However, twelve hours into your diversion, you start noticing that the repeating distress message becomes garbled, and starts missing cycles. Compucast and Henderthane are both able to confirm this is consistent with something like a transmitter or power source for a transmitter failing. By twenty hours the signal stops altogether.

A couple hours later you get to your destination. You find the wreck of two ships that seemed to have smashed into each other. After some scans from Compucast and some engineering checks (that I'm not going to have you roll) you piece together the most likely series of events.

It seems that the two ships shot the everloving snot out of each other. Then, presumably in one act of desperation, one ship rammed the other. This wrecked both ships (both ships are below the negative hull points threshold). There are no signs of life and you presume this happened at least a few weeks ago. Presumably someone set a distress beacon which miraculously managed to survive the crash and was transmitting on emergency power before the transmitter or emergency backup power died.

Culture check DC 17:
You recognize that the two ships belong to the Marixah Republic (a republic comprised of many races, including Hobgoblins) and the Gideron Authority (a dictatorship comprised almost exclusively of Hobgoblins.) Rumor has it that the two have been on the edge of war for a while now.

There seems to be nothing of particular salvageable here except for scrap metal and your ship is not equipped for such a job. Standard protocol is to log the incident and report it to the Starfinders as soon as is convenient.


Assuming you continue on from the wreck, it takes you 5d6 + 1 ⇒ (2, 3, 2, 6, 1) + 1 = 15days total to reach your destination, including your pitstop.

You exit the drift without incident inside a system with a Blue Dwarf star. It is easy enough to navigate to the Blue-Green Gas Giant, and to the moon that is marked in the ships chart, known as "Kukanou-2b." From a high orbit you could scan the moon if you so desire (remember, you add +4 to this check for the Pegasus's good sensors.)

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

At some point during the scanning and investigation of the wreck, Ua asks what people are seeing.

******

Ua again plods to the main area of the ship, "I have felt that we have slowed down. Have we arrived?"

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

culture: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
"Let me do one more scan for life or important documents." says the Technomancer. "Ships not equipped with escape pods either." he shrugs.

"In war the threat of death is ever present. I wonder if one of these was a pirate?"

---

Once in orbit around the moon, Compucast starts to scan
Can we take 20 on this? With time not an issue so far as we are aware, it would make sence.

Roll in case required, but assume a 20 if take 20 permitted.
computers, Pegasus: 1d20 + 14 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 14 + 4 = 31
"Scanning..."


No need to take 20 Compucast, you got all the information on the planet. I'll let others attempt the culture check to see if they figured out what was going on with the two wrecks. I assume the crew tells Uafluozhaheed what was going on, so they can make a culture check too.

-----------------------------------------
Compucast's Scans reveal the following bits of information about the moon.

-Kukanou-2b’s atmosphere is thin, humid, ash filled, and contains a toxic level of carbon dioxide, so spending more than 24 hours on the planet would be unhealthy for all but Uafluozaheed. The high heat is intolerable for most creatures. The ambient temperature on the landing zone is 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Underground the temperature drops to a cooler 110 degrees. Environmental seals on armor are necessary to sustain the wearer. Scans detect no other starships.

-Most of the moon’s surface is made of volcanic rock such as basalt, andesite, and obsidian. The ash-filled atmosphere makes it nearly impossible for plants to survive; the surface has no life signs and no active energy or magical signatures. Fault lines on the surface suggest a catastrophic seismic and volcanic event. All volcanic activity has ceased, though quakes continue to ravage the surface, and the core of the moon is cooling rapidly.

-Scans show a vast series of tunnels in the crust, but indicate they were flooded with magma and sealed with volcanic rock. Some traces of alloy metals and complex compounds in the volcanic rock suggests modern technology was on the surface and in the tunnels at the time of the catastrophic event. No active settlements or vehicles can be detected.

-Penetrating scans show clusters of dense metals buried within the volcanic rock, indicating large underground settlements that are now buried. Scattered debris or alloyed metal embedded in the surface’s volcanic rock suggest technology that was buried in sudden eruptions. Extensive excavation would be required to gain more information.

-One small settlement detected near the landing zone is underground but not entirely subsumed by rock. Some buildings and technology may be intact at that location.

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

Knowing the spoiler, the information has a rooted implication in sight-based experience. Therefore, I will forego a roll as there is no reasonable way that Ua would be able to 'recognize' it.

Ua regards the rest of the crew, "I have the ability to protect you from the environment with magic should you desire."

Acquisitives

Male LN Dwarf corporate agent mystic (steward officer) 3 | SP 21/21 HP 24/24 | RP 5/5 | EAC 13; KAC 14 | Fort +2; Ref +1; Will +7 +2 against poisons, spells, and spell-like abilities | Init: +0 | Perc: +10, SM: +12 | Speed 20ft | (Darkvision) | Spells: (3/4) | Active conditions: None.

Culture: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Baxter replies "I am not to proud to take help."

Then remembers to send a telipathic message "I am not to proud to take help."

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

"I can hear verbal language dwarf Baxter, I just can not produce it." At least I think so.

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

"My thermal capacitor should help against this heat." notes Compucast.\

"I too can provide air if any need it. But I expect our armor will be sufficient. How close do you think we can get to that settlement. Surely that is where we will find out more information."


As Compucast reviews his scans and cross-references them with the maps, he discovers that the landing site leads to a chamber that the tabernacle that held the tear was in a tunnel underneath the surface. If you follow that tunnel further in, it looks like you'd get to the settlement.

Second Seekers (Luwazi Elsbo)

SP42/56; HP 41/41; RS 8/8; Lvl1 2/6; Lvl2 3/4; Lvl3 2/3; Cache 1/1; spell energy 1/1 Vesk Technomancer-7 KAC 26; EAC 23; DR 5/-; Per +9; Fort +4; Ref +3; Will +5; fire and cold resistance/5; DR 5/-

"Well, we have a plan that will protect us from the worst of the heat. And who knows what else we may discover in this tunnel."

The technomancer gets into his suit of heavy armour and flexes his claws.


Landing your craft proves to be a bit tricky as the decent must be done on sensors alone, as the ash reduces visibility to 50 feet. However, using the Pegasus's excellent sensor suite, you land without much difficulty.

Going to assume everyone turns on their environmental protections or casts life bubble or something.

You find the mouth of a cave that, according to Jadnura's notes, will take you to the tunnels where he found the tear. Underground, the air is no longer full of ash, but there is no illumination, so those without darkvision (or blind sense) are forced to turn on the flashlights in their armor. The cavern ceilings vary from 10 to 15 feet high.

After about an hour of travel, you come across some advanced camping technology:

The plain rocky walls are occasionally highlighted by black mold that emits a pungent musty odorhow you smell that through your environmental seals is beyond me?. The remnants of a camp indicate the former presence of sentient life, including a portable self-pitching tent. A single set of humanoid foot prints stand out starkly against the undisturbed dust and ash.

Check the header notes, A map should be up.

Second Seekers (Jadnura)

Male Lashunta Solarian 5 Korasha Lashunta Xenoseeker Solarian | SP 45/45 HP 39/39 | RP 4/6 EAC 16; KAC 17 | Fort +6; Ref +2; Will +3 | Init: +1 |spd 40| Perc: +3, SM: -1 | Photon Mode 0/3 |Sidereal Influence- stealt

Magnus pulls out his helmet. "Thanks for the offer Ua but I'll use my armor now. We may need your magic later. I think we should visit the settlement first and make contact with the locals."

Wayfinders

Khizar Wild Warden Mystic (Xenodruid) 4 / Envoy (Phrenic Adept) 2 | AC 9 | SP: 28/48 | HP: 42/42 | DR 1/- | RP: 8/8 | Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +12 | Perc +14 | Limited Telepathy 240ft, Blindsight (life) 30ft, Blindsense (vibration) 30ft | 1st: 5/5 | 2nd: 3/3 |

Ua will dismiss its life bubble once they get into the cave.
Fort: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Ua focuses it's attention on the black mold and plays no attention to the camp.


Magnus Chaal wrote:
Magnus pulls out his helmet. "Thanks for the offer Ua but I'll use my armor now. We may need your magic later. I think we should visit the settlement first and make contact with the locals."

Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but you encounter this camp on the way to the settlement. The Cave system is vast, but in general it looks like everything you are looking for is in a straight line that ends up like this:

Ship---Mouth of cave---Campsite (You are here)---Tabernacle where tear was found---Settlement.

Quote:
Ua focuses it's attention on the black mold and plays no attention to the camp.

The mold is, indeed alive. It is a wonder it is alive in these conditions. It must be one of the few colonies that survived whatever catastrophe befell this world.

1 to 50 of 254 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [SFS]Vamp By Day's PbP 1-31, Treading on History's Folly All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.