DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords

Game Master Brainiac

Maps on Google Slides
Current Date 3 Neth, 4718 AR


1 to 50 of 2,950 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Dot in!


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Dotted in!


|HP: 30/30 (4NL)| AC: 16 T: 13 FF: 13 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +3 | Init +3 | Ac +9, DD +10, Per +7, Stl +9| Speed 30ft Burn 2/6 | Active conditions: TB: +5(6)[7], 2d6+2+3(+1)[+2] |

Dotting in the alias, don't worry I won't be playing a dog in this one!


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 6 | 53/84 HP | AC 27 T 13 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +13 (+14 vs. traps)

Dooot!


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Period


|HP: 30/30 (4NL)| AC: 16 T: 13 FF: 13 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +3 | Init +3 | Ac +9, DD +10, Per +7, Stl +9| Speed 30ft Burn 2/6 | Active conditions: TB: +5(6)[7], 2d6+2+3(+1)[+2] |

Caraid sits on the cove edge, little eddies of wind ruffling his hair despite the calm day, as he slowly picks up a stone and sends it skimming across the smooth surface of the water.

Five skips - not bad. Tough to do more today.

As he scrabbles for another pebble his eyes fall on his left arm, still a mass of blackened scar tissue from The Accident the year before. Suddenly feeling the breeze drop as someone approaches from behind he speaks quietly without turning around, pulling his arm closer to his chest in an instinctive motion.

"I came here to be alone. If that is a problem for you I can easily go somewhere else."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

"You can still be alone," Nime says. She moves to lower herself awkwardly to sit next to the young man. Her face breaks out in one of her innocent smiles.

"We can sit here and be alone together."

She spends a few silent moments looking out at the calm waters. She then extends the butt of her spear out to the ground in front of the pair. Drawing two parallel lines with the worn wood, she then crosses them with another pair of lines.

The blue-skinned woman then hands the spear to her companion. "You won last time so you get the first move."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Sixteen years ago

"Hello. You must be Calendula," a breezy voice says from behind her as Calendula struggles to remove a large stone from her small field.

Turning her head she sees a tall, gangly blue-skinned woman leaning against a wooden spear. The woman takes a few clumsy steps forward, using the spear as a crutch and extends her hand.

"I'm new in town. My name is Nime. We're going to be good friends," she says, her face turning into a wide smile.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Sixteen years ago

Thin, long, and leanly muscular, Calendula has wrapped herself in many shawls and scarves despite the summer heat and humidity. While she works her field, she sweats only from her exertion, not the temperature, climate or her manner of dress. A stiff breeze blows by as she digs around a particularly stubborn stone, sending a shiver down her spine before a stranger calls her name, and says they will be friends.

Calendula had already lived here three years. She didn't have friends in Roderic's Cove, and she said as much. "Whoever told you that is playing a joke on ya," she murmurs, running a rough and dirty hand over her bald, many-scarred head. "Life without friends is much simpler. Nobody you care about will die on you."

She stares at the still-outstretched blue hand, licking her dry, cracked and scarred lips absentmindedly. At last, she moves to grab the woman at the forearm but as she swings her arm, her body seizes and wracks with coughs. Though she does her best to cover herself and turn, the wetness of the cough is unmistakable, and the the dark grey color of the phlegm she throws off her hand is hard to miss.

Sniffing, she raises her wet right hand with a sheepish smile, "Don't think you want to grab that, miss." Plainly visible on the palm, the woman has been branded twice and scarred once. The branding consists of an elaborate sword and starbust- the holy symbol of Iomedae -overlaid atop a simple shield, while a long scar runs across them both, from the webbing of her thumb up to the start of her little finger.

She cracks her neck, accidentally dislodging a couple of her scarves and offering a proper view at the scars on her neck and jawline, the exact images of chains, pulled tightly around. The bald woman wipes her nose on her bare arm and fixes her garments.

"Do you intend to be of assistance?" she asks. "I can always use help with the farm. Mainly I fish or dredge the seabed for oysters, same as all the others. The farm's just a small plot I grow for meself and it's hard sometimes, to find the time. Can't pay much, but," her voice bubbles and she stops herself, rumbling her lungs and hacking up a thick wad of spit, politely aiming it away from Nime. "Don't matter. Work is work."


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It had been ten years. Ten years since a tyrant of the ancient world awoke from millenia of slumber and threatened all of Varisia. Ten years since a band of heroes defeated Karzoug and brought knowledge of long-lost Thassilon to the modern world. Few realized that this was just the beginning of Varisia's troubles. And fewer still could guess that a humble group of small-town companions were destined to play a pivotal role in the world-changing events to come...

DM Brainiac Presents...

Return of the Runelords
Chapter 1: Secrets of Roderic's Cove

3 Rova, 4718 AR

It is a tumultuous time in Roderic's Cove. The normal peace of the small town has been disrupted by what can only be called gang violence. Just a few days ago, six men were found dead in the Circle, the town's central meeting point. Everybody knows that the victims were members of the Horned Fangs, a gang that formed about a year ago and whose numbers have slowly swelled during that time. While the older generation of Roderic's Cove cluck their tongues and mutter, "That's what you get for being uppity," no one in town really thinks of the Horned Fangs as particularly violent. The common belief is that a group of murderers from Riddleport ambushed the Horned Fangs, and many are calling for port-governor Thort to confront Riddleport and demand the names of those responsible for the atrocity.

Others believe something a bit more supernatural is going on—that the ghost of "Old Sir Roderic" has risen from his grave once again and he's displeased with the town for some reason. These people point to the rumor that the Horned Fang victims supposedly died of fright as proof that a ghost killed them, and wonder if perhaps members of the gang may have desecrated Roderic's Wreck in some way.

Whatever the case may be, there's an air of tension at the weekly Circle Market, where numerous locals gather in the heart of town to display surplus food and supplies for sale and barter. Despite the unease at being at the scene of the grisly slaughter, it's still the best place to find a deal on various goods. And of course, local codger Bimmer "Possum" Coots has set up his wooden cart not far from the old well at the circle's eastern side as he does every week, selling cups of "possum punch."


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 6 | 53/84 HP | AC 27 T 13 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +13 (+14 vs. traps)

At ease in the Circle Market in spite of the recent affair, Rudrik is, as always, flogging his father's wares from the back of a rickety cart. Refurbished shoes, restitched gloves, resharpened knives, re- anything, really. As usual, the half-orc is shouting and haranguing passersby, guaranteeing that they can always find something useful from the junk seller, be it a hat, an oil lamp, a bit of slightly-frayed rope... anything at all, for just a bit of coin or even a haggle. He seems cheerful and un-dissuaded by the constant stream of people meandering past without stopping for so much as a look.


|HP: 30/30 (4NL)| AC: 16 T: 13 FF: 13 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +3 | Init +3 | Ac +9, DD +10, Per +7, Stl +9| Speed 30ft Burn 2/6 | Active conditions: TB: +5(6)[7], 2d6+2+3(+1)[+2] |
Nime wrote:

"We can sit here and be alone together."

She spends a few silent moments looking out at the calm waters. She then extends the butt of her spear out to the ground in front of the pair. Drawing two parallel lines with the worn wood, she then crosses them with another pair of lines.

The blue-skinned woman then hands the spear to her companion. "You won last time so you get the first move."

Caraid smiles and shifts up to allow Nime to sit down.

"We can be Lonely Together" He agrees with a smile before turning his attention to the game she draws in the sand.

----------------
Caraid wanders the edge of the crowd with Nime, keeping an eye out for nails and some wood to make a couple of repairs to the roof. The crowds make him somewhat uncomfortable and he tries to avoid too much conversation.

Seeing the junk seller with his cart Caraid goes to have a look, Rudrik often has useful things and talks enough that Caraid barely has to do anything to carry a conversation.

"Are you well Rudrik?" He asks, stopping to peruse the cart's contents.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Sixteen years ago

Calendula wrote:
Calendula had already lived here three years. She didn't have friends in Roderic's Cove, and she said as much. "Whoever told you that is playing a joke on ya," she murmurs, running a rough and dirty hand over her bald, many-scarred head. "Life without friends is much simpler. Nobody you care about will die on you."

"But life without friends isn't really worth living," Nime says, her smile flickering for just a moment. "You have to find the balance. Without friends you're empty, but, yes, to bind yourself too strongly to someone ... to know that ... " She appears thoughtful for a moment, wandering in memories. "That leads to pain as well," she says, finally coming back to the conversation.

Calendula wrote:
"Do you intend to be of assistance?" she asks. "I can always use help with the farm. Mainly I fish or dredge the seabed for oysters, same as all the others. The farm's just a small plot I grow for meself and it's hard sometimes, to find the time. Can't pay much, but," her voice bubbles and she stops herself, rumbling her lungs and hacking up a thick wad of spit, politely aiming it away from Nime. "Don't matter. Work is work."

Nime shakes her head. "No need to pay me," she says. "I'm happy to help my friends when I have time."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10
Caraid wrote:
"We can be Lonely Together" He agrees with a smile before turning his attention to the game she draws in the sand.

"You're silly," Nime says, reaching over and tousling the young man's hair with a laugh.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

As Caraid speaks with Rudrik, Nime wanders away around the circle, the tapping of her spear/walking staff growing fainter as she moves farther away.

Periodically she stops and slowly lowers herself to touch the ancient stone with her hand. Other times she closes her eyes and stills herself to hear the whispering breeze.

She finds herself standing in front of Possum's cart.

"Hello Possum," She says with a smile, although her distraction is obvious. "May I have some punch?"


Possum grins, revealing several missing teeth. "O' course! Trade ya one copper piece for a cup o' me finest!" He hands Nime a glass of the alcoholic concoction.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

"Oh, of course," Nime responds. She pulls the required coin from a small pouch hanging from her spear and hands it over in exchange for the glass.

She looks down at the drink in confusion as if she's not sure what to do with it. Her eyes lift and survey the villagers gathered in the circle for their normal exchanges. The sense that she's waiting for something is almost overwhelming.

Without thinking she raises the cup and takes a sip. The burning sensation the liquid inspires triggers a coughing fit.

"Thank ... you," she says between coughs as she hands the almost-full glass back.


Possum wheezes with laughter and slaps his knee. "Ee hee hee! Now ya know why I calls it 'punch'! Hits ya right in the throat!"


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Once the coughing abates, Nime nods in agreement with Possom.

"Yes, it does at that," she says. She tips her head as if something just occurred to her. "It needs apple juice." She then turns and takes a few steps towards the center of the circle before reaching down again and feeling the stone.

"Something's coming," she says to no one in particular.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 6 | 53/84 HP | AC 27 T 13 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +13 (+14 vs. traps)
Caraid wrote:

Caraid wanders the edge of the crowd with Nime, keeping an eye out for nails and some wood to make a couple of repairs to the roof. The crowds make him somewhat uncomfortable and he tries to avoid too much conversation.

Seeing the junk seller with his cart Caraid goes to have a look, Rudrik often has useful things and talks enough that Caraid barely has to do anything to carry a conversation.

"Are you well Rudrik?" He asks, stopping to peruse the cart's contents.

"Hey Caraid!" says Rudrik, grinning widely. "I'm having a great day. You like the market? I think it's great! Eveeryone's gonna come out to see what's for sale. I've had a dozen people come by already! You see anything you like? If we make a few coins I might look for a little treat for myself. Oh! Look at this - my dad found this while collectin'. Neat huh? I bet it was some kind of magic orb or scrying stone once! I guess we'll never know since this is just part of it but the luster of the black surface is pretty - the smooth part, anyway. So what've you got planned today?"


|HP: 30/30 (4NL)| AC: 16 T: 13 FF: 13 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +3 | Init +3 | Ac +9, DD +10, Per +7, Stl +9| Speed 30ft Burn 2/6 | Active conditions: TB: +5(6)[7], 2d6+2+3(+1)[+2] |

"Housework." Caraid replies quietly. "Have you found anything I could use to fix a wall?"


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Today

"Whatever gives ya that idea, miss?" Calendula says from behind Nime with a crooked smile. "Good day to ya, Nime. Whatcha hopin to find in the market?" The nineteen years she's spent with her cough has deepened her voice substantially, and it cracks as she speaks.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10
Calendula wrote:
"Whatever gives ya that idea, miss?" Calendula says from behind Nime with a crooked smile. "Good day to ya, Nime. Whatcha hopin to find in the market?" The nineteen years she's spent with her cough has deepened her voice substantially, and it cracks as she speaks.

"Oh, Hello Calendula," Nime says, turning to face her. "It's nice to see you today."

She tips her head slightly like a dog hearing a noise that no one else can.

"She whispers it on the breeze. It's going to be up to us to stop it. It's going to be up to us to save the world. Did you fix the hole in your roof? I think it might rain tomorrow."


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Sixteen years ago

The soldier shrugs, wiping her hand on the back of her pants. "I'm not fool enough to turn away help when offered. Tell ya what: you help pull and wash some potatoes, you can share in the chowder I'm making."

She is silent in her work for some time before engaging in polite but awkward small talk.

"What brings you to town stranger?"


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 6 | 53/84 HP | AC 27 T 13 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +13 (+14 vs. traps)
Caraid wrote:
"Housework." Caraid replies quietly. "Have you found anything I could use to fix a wall?"

"Shoring up or patching a hole?" says Rudrik. "Got some driftwood - you could plane that down and use it for a patch. Or uh... let's see... some kind of metal joining here, maybe you could attach that to a sagging wall to prop it up." The half-orc continues grinning. "Oh hey! We should get some hot corn before the festival is over. Put some mustard powder on it, a little fresh butter... y'know, if you need a hand fixing your wall I'm sure I can spare some time later."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Sixteen years ago

Calendula wrote:


The soldier shrugs, wiping her hand on the back of her pants. "I'm not fool enough to turn away help when offered. Tell ya what: you help pull and wash some potatoes, you can share in the chowder I'm making."

She is silent in her work for some time before engaging in polite but awkward small talk.

"What brings you to town stranger?"

"Shelyn brought me here," she says in a matter-of-fact tone. "She told me to go north and since I've arrived she hasn't told me to go anywhere else."

She looks around the garden.

"So how do you pull potatoes?"


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Today

Calendula scratches her roughly shorn head, thinking. "I think so? If'n I didn't, I'll just plop down a bucket, no matter. Didn't your roof need patching too?" She completely ignores Nime's prophetic rambling: the undine said stuff like this often, dating back to their very first meeting and, regardless of her track record, Calendula had never bothered keeping track of the hits and misses. In her opinion, it was always simpler to just let the woman say whatever it was the wind or whatever had told her rather than think about it too hard or challenge her.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 3 | HP 83/83 | AC 16 T 11 FF 15 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +14 | Sense Motive +0

Roderic's Cove hadn't changed much in the years since Theodore's last visit. He was glad that he wasn't needed for actually investigating the business issues that had drawn him here, a family retainer was taking care of that side of it, Theo was just here in case something went wrong. And it wasn't long after reaching the market that he found Caraid.

"Should've guessed I'd find you around here, Caraid mate."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

"Actually it was the wall, not the roof," Nime says. "And I think he's trying to find the materials to fix that right now."

She looks over to where Caraid is talking to Rudrik.

"Ahh, and I see Theodric there as well. Good. I should go and let them know that we need to save the world. Possum's punch is pretty good today. You should try some. It needs some apple juice, though."

The tall woman walks past Calendula, pausing just long enough to pat her on the shoulder.

"No need to worry, we'll be victorious in the end. I think."


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Sixteen years ago

Rather than instruct, Calendula demonstrates the correct way to harvest potatoes. "Go to the flowering ones, or the ones where the flowers have already budded" she points to such a plant with a long fork. She slowly pushes away the loosely packed earth at the base of the plant, revealing clusters of tubers underground. "Ones that look like this, put in a basket, then cover the plant back up when you are done."

She hands the stranger the fork and heads back to continue attempting to pry out that stubborn gods forsaken stone. "These aren't the ones we'll be eating tonight, so if you were hoping to eat the tubers of your labor," she chuckles as she struggles with dislodging the rock, "you'd hafta come back sometime next week."

Finally managing to uproot it, she strains audibly and with a final shove, it is finished. She breathes deep, squatting down to avoid a fit.

"Shelyn brought you here?" she asks, wicking a cold sweat off of her forehead with a thin scarf. "She the one what tell you my name? Why?"


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Sixteen years ago

After being shown what to do, Nime takes to it with a zest. It's not long before she's singing a wordless song as she digs through the earth. Eventually she's covered with dirt and in possession of a basket full of potatoes.

Calendula wrote:
"Shelyn brought you here?" she asks, wicking a cold sweat off of her forehead with a thin scarf. "She the one what tell you my name? Why?"

"She tells me lots of things," Nime says with a smile. "Some I understand, some I don't. I can't give you a reason why. It just is."

She steps closer to the enshrouded woman and places her hands on her shoulders.

"She gives me other gifts as well," She says before speaking a quiet prayer to Shelyn. Warmth spreads from the dirt encrusted hands through Calendula's shoulders. Her current aches and pains vanish, but otherwise she feels as she did before.

"Did that help?" the Ondine asks.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Sixteen years ago

The change in her demeanor is immediate, palpable. She angrily swats away the healer's hands with an ungrateful "don't touch me," before standing up and walking some paces away. A well worn sword at her side clinks as she turns and glares at Nime. Her grey eyes stand sharply out against the burns and scars surrounding them, one scar vertically across the left eye from brow to cheekbone, and a burn from temple to temple in the shape perhaps of a knight's visor.

"Course it didn't help. Nothing helps. It's evil, that's what it is, in my blood. Look, miss, I don't want you thinking you can help, that yer different or special. I'll be lucky to live another ten or fifteen years and not the greatest healer could do nothing about it." Already a slow and quiet cough is back in her throat.

Nervous, untrusting, she walks back towards Nime, pulling back her sleeve and showing the underside of her arm.

"Grab it," she demands with the kind of unquestioning authority of someone used to leadership and issuing orders. Her skin is cold to the touch and her pulse is slow and weak; the black color of her blood is immediately visible through her skin.

"Ain't no fixing that, miss."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Sixteen years ago

Calendula wrote:
"Course it didn't help. Nothing helps. It's evil, that's what it is, in my blood. Look, miss, I don't want you thinking you can help, that you're different or special. I'll be lucky to live another ten or fifteen years and not the greatest healer could do nothing about it." Already a slow and quiet cough is back in her throat.

Nime doesn't seem offended by Calendula's rebuff.

"Hmmm..." she hmmms thoughtfully. "Sorry about that. Shelyn didn't tell me to do that and many decisions that I make for myself have a tendency to ... fail."

She frowns.

"Sometimes badly. Sometimes I think she lets me make my own decisions so I can see how badly I do without her council."

Her warm smile returns.

"So are we going to have potatoes now?"


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Sixteen years ago

Calendula grunts and heads inside, leaving the door open. As Nime follows behind her, she says, "Clam chowder. There's potatoes already in it, but like I said, if'n ya want to eat these ones," she takes the basket and sets it on a counter, "come back in a week or so."

From a pot over the fire, she spoons a white, sloppy soup into two wooden bowls and pushes one towards her impromptu guest.

"Excuse the mess," she says as she pushes mounds of books and papers off the dining table and onto the floor. "You're my very first guest. I guess that makes this my housewarming party."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Sixteen years ago

Calendula wrote:
"Excuse the mess," she says as she pushes mounds of books and papers off the dining table and onto the floor. "You're my very first guest. I guess that makes this my housewarming party."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I should have brought a gift then," Nime says with genuine remorse. She tilts her head again in a way that Calendula is beginning to recognize is a regular mannerism.

"Ah, here," she says, reaching up to pull her necklace over the top of her head. She hands it over to Calendula. It's a bone carving of a songbird on a leather lanyard.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Sixteen years ago

Almost without looking, the lithe woman wraps the necklace around her wrist, tying it off in a peculiar way to keep the pendant flat instead of dangling.

"Thank you," she says curtly.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Today

Calendula wanders over to Possum's cart. "G'day, Possum. She said you needed apple juice in your batch, Nime did. She tell ya?" she buys a cup and sips on it idly.

Most weeks she sold her catch at market, but she had barely caught enough to feed her and her alone for the week, and, atop that, about half her crops were rotting. "Nothin for it I suppose, other than keep trying," she murmurs to herself.


|HP: 30/30 (4NL)| AC: 16 T: 13 FF: 13 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +3 | Init +3 | Ac +9, DD +10, Per +7, Stl +9| Speed 30ft Burn 2/6 | Active conditions: TB: +5(6)[7], 2d6+2+3(+1)[+2] |

Caraid considers for a moment and then finds himself actually enjoying the idea of spending a little more time with Rurirk. "Hot corn sounds nice. Thank you Rurik."

He's just settles on a good piece of driftwood which could be cut to fix the hole when an old friend arrives.

"Theo! Good to see you." He immediately begins the elaborate handshake they had once designed as boys and then lets it fall through just before they were required to bump left fore-arms, giving Theo a good look at his burn scars.

"So, erm... why are you back here?" He asks, shooting a glance across the square towards Nime.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 3 | HP 83/83 | AC 16 T 11 FF 15 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +14 | Sense Motive +0

Caraid dropping out of the handshake part-way through caught Theo by surprise and had gone for the next step before noticing the premature end. He saw some of the scars but not enough for it to properly register what he saw.

"Heh; family business, what else?" Theo answered, latching onto the subject change. "Thankfully Resgrave is taking care of that, I'm really here more to make it seem official and all that other nonsense. That and as backup in case things get unpleasant."


Calendula wrote:
Calendula wanders over to Possum's cart. "G'day, Possum. She said you needed apple juice in your batch, Nime did. She tell ya?"

"Aye, p'raps I'll try some in the next mix. A bit more sweet 'n tart, could be good," Possum muses.

You can continue to backpost some conversations if you want, but in the meantime...

The people of Roderic's Cove come and go from the Circle Market, shopping for bargains or just enjoying the cool, late summer day. As the afternoon winds down, a group of five men and women converge on Possum's stand to drink punch and talk with each other.

Perception DC 15:
You manage to overhear some of their conversation. They are commiserating over the loss of several friends who perished in the slaughter a few days ago. You notice at least one crude patch on a bit of clothing bearing what appears to be a mouth with jagged fangs descending from it.

If you make the Perception check, you can attempt the following Knowledge checks:

Knowledge (local) DC 10:
The symbol is the sign of the Horned Fangs gang.

Knowledge (arcana or history) DC 20:
The symbol is the Thassilonian rune of wrath.

Sense Motive DC 15:
You notice a group of five other shady types winding their way through the crowd toward Possum's cart, their expressions intent. None of them appear to be armed, but they certainly don't look friendly.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 3 | HP 83/83 | AC 16 T 11 FF 15 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +14 | Sense Motive +0

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
grumbles in draconic


|HP: 30/30 (4NL)| AC: 16 T: 13 FF: 13 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +3 | Init +3 | Ac +9, DD +10, Per +7, Stl +9| Speed 30ft Burn 2/6 | Active conditions: TB: +5(6)[7], 2d6+2+3(+1)[+2] |

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Knw Local: 1d20 ⇒ 7
SM: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Caraid notices the men and moves through the crowd to nudge Nime. "That seems... unusual." He comments, unable to better define the uneasy feeling he has.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Nime approaches her friends at the junk cart.

"Hello Theodric. Hello Rudrik." she says with a warm smile. "It's good that you're here. I needed to let you all know that we're going to save the world."

She looks at the cart and then at Caraid.

"Did you find what you need to fix the wall? Because I think it's going to rain tomorrow."


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Do I need to roll to notice them given I am standing by Possum's cart as well?


You'd have to roll to overhear their conversation and notice their mark. Plus the Sense Motive check to notice the other people approaching.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Calendula is overtaken by a series of deep, wracking coughs, bending her over as she spits out black blood and mucus, leaving her utterly unaware of any conversation.


Off to a great start! I'll roll for Rudrik to keep the scene moving.

Rudrik Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Rudrik notices the men as well, and points out the other shady types moving towards Possum's cart with intent expressions.

You may all take a round's worth of actions.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 7/7, 5th 5/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 10/10

"Oh," Nime says in surprise when Rudrik indicates the approaching men. "I didn't realize it was beginning so soon. I think that's where we're supposed to be."

Her spear makes a steady tapping noise as she begins walking towards the nexus of activity.


Female HumanBlack Bloodedrager 4/Paladin 4| 48/68 HP| AC: 17/15 (T10/8, F17/15)| F: +13, R: +4, W: +9| Init: -1| Perc: +10| CMB: +11, CMD: 20| Lay on Hands 4/7| Smite Evil: 2/2| Speed: 40 ft| Active conditions: 2 Negative Levels, Bloodrage!! (+12 HP).

Calendula takes another sip of Possum's punch after her coughing subsides, not moving from where she leans.


|HP: 30/30 (4NL)| AC: 16 T: 13 FF: 13 | F: +6, R: +7, W: +3 | Init +3 | Ac +9, DD +10, Per +7, Stl +9| Speed 30ft Burn 2/6 | Active conditions: TB: +5(6)[7], 2d6+2+3(+1)[+2] |

Caraid follows Nime, his hands clenching and unclenching spasmodically.

1 to 50 of 2,950 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.