DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords

Game Master Brainiac

Maps on Google Slides
Current Date 9 Neth, 4718 AR


2,951 to 2,994 of 2,994 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>

Sorshen regards Shenuska with an enigmatic smile. "As I said, there will be a place for all misfits and outcasts. I would welcome your presence at my side."

The runelord laughs at the psychic's follow-up questions. "Murder was the most common method of succession, yes. Our style of rulership encouraged violent usurpation. Most runelords lasted a century or two before somebody killed them and took their mantle. Xanderghul and I were the only ones who ruled throughout all of Thassilon's age of glory, over a millenia."


Female Psychic 10 HP: 72/72 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 3/4, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 5d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

"I suppose abdication wasn't really an option." Shenuska agrees, "Thank you Sorshen" With a nod she walks away, with quite a bit to consider...

I'm done if you have girly-day plans Nime.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Nime is thrilled to invite the other ladies of the group, Shenuska, Calendula, and Ayavah, to join her for a day of pampering and relaxation. She doesn't take 'no' for an answer. Determined that before they dive back into the fray that they spend just one day enjoying what civilization can offer.

She especially touts the elvish massage as a way to clear the mind and relax the body. And it just feels sooooo good!

Once they've finished, she'll spend the rest of the night with Shen and Ayavah.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 3 | HP 83/83 | AC 16 T 11 FF 15 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +14 | Sense Motive +0

Theo spent his time in the city catching up with a couple of friends whose family had moved to Korvosa years before (ironically not long before the city had descended into chaos). He had also been practising his new teleportation magic, popping back to Magnimar to check in with his family - and help keep their notes on his draconic abilities up to date - and Alika.

Though, one morning had led to a more eventful arrival than usual. He'd appeared suddenly next to the giant stone foot they'd met Sorshen at, covered head-to-toe in swamp muck and cursing up a storm in draconic. Magically cleaning himself, he'd stormed back to the inn, muttering something about this not being the only stone foot of Sorshen's in Varisia.


No rivers run directly from Korvosa up to Kaer Maga, so you purchase horses for an overland journey. The roads lead north to the town of Harse and pass by the dwarven sky citadel Janderhoff in the foothills of the Kodar Mountains before continuing on across the plains towards Sirathu and the enormous ridge known as the Storval Rise. After six days of travel, you find yourselves at the base of the Rise.

Kaer Maga itself sits atop the ridge--the primary connection between the lowlands and the city is an underground route known as the Halflight Path. At the base of the cliff, the entrance to the Halflight Path is guarded by the Twisted Door, a large bronze gate that opens into the wide, climbing path. Travel along the path itself is regulated by a group called the Duskwardens. The Twisted Door opens at dawn each day, disgorging several Duskwardens who set about the task of collecting fees and organizing those who seek to use the Halflight Path to enter the city.

You have come to stop the necromancer Erigantus and recover the Bone Grimoire from him. Sorshen told you that he has besieged the Shrine of the Seal beneath Kaer Maga, and that is likely where you will find him. The entrance to the shrine is hidden somewhere along the Halflight Path. Perhaps one of the Duskwardens will know where to find it.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Nime takes in the sights as they approach the entrance and the Duskwardens that guard it. As they get closer, she ensures that the top she's wearing is covering her as intended.

"Good morning," Nime says to the nearest of the warders. "My name is Nime, what's yours?"

Once she knows their name, she continues. "My friends and I have been lead to believe that a necromancer by the name of Erigantus has something we need and that he's causing trouble in the Shrine of the Seal. Would you perhaps know where that is?"


"The name's Crottle," says the Duskwarden, a boxy dwarf with a bushy blonde beard. He furrows his brow when Nime mentions the Shrine of the Seal, then he shrugs. "Aye, I can take you there, but I won't take a step into the shrine itself. Those who live within are a bit too closed-minded for me, but I've got no issue with them."

Crottle charges each of you a small fee of 2 gp each before leading you onwards. Beyond the Twisted Door, the Halflight Path is a roughly 15-foot-wide, 15-foot-tall tunnel that winds up through the cliff at a steep but manageable slope. The tunnel begins as a natural-looking cave, with minimal work done to widen it, but as it climbs, it passes through numerous distinct regions—places where the tunnel has been painted with crude pictographs or decorated with elaborately carved pillars and frescoes, or where it becomes a mirror-smooth tube or a square-walled path filled with right angles, like a labyrinth in which every wrong turn has been blocked off. Sometimes it emerges briefly onto narrow ledges along the cliff face, and at one point the tunnel even opens up into a larger chamber where both walls are carved with elaborate porticos and balconies, its many doors and archways all carefully locked and barred or bricked up completely.

After an hour or so, Crottle leads you down a side passage to a well-hidden door. He opens it for you. "This is where we part ways. Good luck, friends."

A 10-foot-wide tunnel extends east from the door, ending after 200 feet at a an iron door etched with the image of a bow made of antlers with an arrow nocked to it--the symbol of Erastil. A tiny alcove in the wall just south of the door holds a small silver offering cup.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Knowing that forms must be obeyed, Nime pulls a silver coin from the pouch dangling from her glaive and drops it into the offering cup.

Her offering made, she steps to the door and knocks on it with her knuckles and then waits politely.


After a few moments, the door opens slightly and a plain-looking man in simple brown robes peers out. He looks you up and down before offering a wan smile. "Greetings, travelers. I regret to inform you that the shrine is currently closed. I'm afraid you'll have to come back at a later date."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

"I'm sorry, but we really must visit now," Nime says in a voice that surprisingly approaches insistent. "We need to speak to Erigantus. He has something that we require. It's very important."

She looks down at the man.

"We're on a mission to save the world and will not be delayed by minor things like operating hours."

Intimidate: 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (12) + 26 = 38

I don't think Nime has ever attempted using Intimidate before. This should be interesting.


The man winces and takes a step back. "I'm terribly sorry, but the brothers are enduring an outbreak of filth fever!" he stammers. "The doors are sealed until they recover, so as to prevent the spread of the sickness."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Taking advantage of the man's slight retreat, Nime advances through the door and looks around.

"I'm very sorry about that, but I'm going have to insist. There are too many lives at stake," she says.


The thirty-foot-high vaulted ceiling of this large room is supported by twin rows of pillars. A pair of double doors stands to the north and another pair to the south, while a stone altar to the east holds a bronze offering tray before an inscribed archway. The wall to the south is decorated with images of wild animals, while the wall to the north depicts ripe fields of produce.

The man wrings his hands and looks around nervously. "You really shouldn't be in here! It will be much safer for you if you return to the Halflight Path."


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

"We will not be doing that, Mr. ... umm ... I'm sorry, I don't know your name," the undine says.

She looks around taking in the sights. "And I'm sure it would be much safer back on the Halflight Path." She tips her head for a moment. "In fact, it would be even safer in Roderic's Cove where we're from, but ..." She shrugs and then frowns. "Unless we were back under the inn in the hidden caverns there. That wasn't very safe at all. And I didn't feel very safe in the haunted house of the town's founder, either."

She warms to her subject.

"Come to think of it, there aren't too many places that I do feel safe. Maybe that's part of the reason we're doing this. I want to feel safe somewhere and unless we can prevent some of these Runelords from returning, none of us will feel safe."

Nime turns a smile to Shenuska. "Although, I don't think that Runelord Sorshen is too bad as far as Runelords go. She seems quite nice even if I haven't slept with her. I would have, but I've been re-examining some of my normal behaviors to determine if they hold a place in my life now. I haven't yet decided on that part of me."

She looks at the doorwarden.

"So where is he?" she asks.


The man scowls. "I did try to warn you. What happens next is on you." His body suddenly begins to shift and change. His torso becomes slender and feminine while his lower body bulges outward into a bloated abdomen. Soon he has fully transformed into a monster that appears to be a dusky-skinned elf woman from the waist up and a immense spider from the waist down!

Initiative:
Calendula: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Nime: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10
Rudrik: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Shenuska: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Theodric: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Enemy: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

The creature rises up into the air near the thirty-foot-high ceiling and casts a spell, surrounding herself with mirror images.

Mirror Images: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Everybody may act!


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Ok, I think it's just hilarious that Nime got the highest initiative roll in the group with a -1 Init modifier. >D

The critter is rising up into the air as in getting bigger or flying?

Nime invokes the blessing of Shelyn over her friends.

casting blessing of fervor


Female Psychic 10 HP: 72/72 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 3/4, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 5d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Shenuska growls and snaps her fingers, attempting to revoke the creature's magical protections. Her spell rips the creature's images apart in a brief flash of magic. She then moves gracefully away, out of the creature's reach.

Dispel Magic: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 + 2 = 30


She is flying 30 feet up.

The mirror images disappear as quickly as they appeared.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 7 | 93/93 HP | AC 28 T 14 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +14 (+15 vs. traps)

Rudrik sorta loiters around since he can't reach the drider.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

~ 'Think of a wonderful thought ...' ~

... and talk to Theodric.


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 3 | HP 83/83 | AC 16 T 11 FF 15 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +14 | Sense Motive +0

"And here I was hoping that a temple to Erastil would be safe. Up you go, mate." Theo said, putting a hand on Rudrik's back.

Casting fly on him.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 7 | 93/93 HP | AC 28 T 14 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +14 (+15 vs. traps)

"Ah, thanks chum!" says Rudrik as he lifts off the ground. "I gotta get some boots with little wings or somethin'."

Rudrik rises up to begin his delicate dance with the drider.

Bastard sword attack: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18
Presumably a miss.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Brainiac, Nime doesn't actually have access to the spell fly. Would you consider her Mystery and SLA to be sufficient to fill the requirements for manufacturing a pair of winged boots?


Calendula waits anxiously for her own fly spell to engage the enemy. The drider dodges Rudrik's sword and floats a few feet back, then casts a powerful spell to try to neutralize Shenuska!

Shenuska must make a DC 20 Will save or be affected by feeblemind. Everybody may act!


Female Psychic 10 HP: 72/72 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 3/4, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 5d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Will: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

Shenuska throws off the magic easily and glowers at the creature.

"You're going to pay for that!"


Male Human Sorcerer 6/Dragon Disciple 3 | HP 83/83 | AC 16 T 11 FF 15 | Fort +7 Ref +4 Will +7 | Initiative +5 | Perception +14 | Sense Motive +0

Moving over to Calendula, Theo cast another fly spell on her.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 7 | 93/93 HP | AC 28 T 14 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +14 (+15 vs. traps)

"Yep, that was a mistake," says Rudrik as he floats up to the drider and waves his large sword menacingly.

1. Bastard sword attack: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26
2. Bastard sword iterative attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

2. Bastard sword confirm crit: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

1. Bastard sword damage: 1d10 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
2. Bastard sword damage: 1d10 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Female Psychic 10 HP: 72/72 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 3/4, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 5d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Shenuska lashes out with her mind at the creature, overwhelming it with her own psychic power.

MT V: 10d8 ⇒ (5, 6, 4, 6, 5, 5, 3, 8, 8, 1) = 51 DC 20 will to halve damage. If failed target is exhausted for 1 round, pass they're fatigued instead.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Nime huffs, the perfect picture of indignation. "I'm getting really tired of beings flying that have no respect for the very air itself," she says in annoyance. With a gesture and a prayer to Shelyn, she holds one hand palm out towards the flying drider and a blast of wind emanates forth.

river of wind

River of Wind: 4d6 ⇒ (4, 1, 3, 4) = 12 non-lethal damage and knocked prone - DC 23 Fort save for half damage and avoid being knocked prone.


Shenuska SR: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (7) + 14 = 21
Will: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27
Fortitude: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Calendula Attack: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 301d8 + 18 ⇒ (6) + 18 = 24

The drider cries out as she resists Shenuska's spell, but Nime's wind sends her sprawling to the ground. Rudrik and Calendula fly over and start hacking her up with their swords. The creature defensively casts a spell and disappears, teleporting away!

Concentration: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (19) + 19 = 38


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

"Well that was rude," Nime proclaims. She shakes her head and approaches Rudrik. As is becoming a habit, she tugs at the top she's wearing to ensure that she's covered. "Could I see your feet?" she asks. "I'd like to make you a pair of boots, but I don't want them to be too big or too small."


Female Psychic 10 HP: 72/72 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 3/4, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 5d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

"Not now Nime." Shenuska cuts in, "We should move quickly, before the creature can raise the alarm."

She heads for the next door and takes a moment to examine it before opening it.

Take 10 for 33


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

"I wasn't going to make them right now," Nime says defensively. "I don't have the materials and there's nowhere to work."

The undine tips her head as if listening to something.

"Besides, she's already done that - they know we're here."


There are doors set in the north and south walls, but they are false ones built into the walls themselves and do not open. The archway behind the altar to the east leads to another chamber. One of this triangular chamber’s walls is curved. Its two other walls are straight and meet at a one-foot-wide, floor-to-ceiling column with a bas relief of weeping angels standing atop each other’s shoulders.

Shenuska notices a narrow gap between the walls and the floor. Peering closer, it seems the entire chamber is balanced upon rows of stone balls set in circular grooves. With enough strength, one could potentially push the whole chamber along these balls either clockwise or counterclockwise to rotate it to another position.


Female Psychic 10 HP: 72/72 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 3/4, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 5d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

"The room can be moved..." Shenuska comments. "By brute force if need be, although there must be a mechanism. Stay alert, this is the perfect place for a trap."

Is there room to fly over it?


No, but a creature in gaseous form could slip through the gap.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Nime still seems to be considering what kind of foot gear would suit Rudrik the best. However, at Shenuska's comment about the room moving, Nime looks up from her musings.

"Do you suppose that there's a mechanism on the other side?" she asks. "Why don't I go look?"

Without another comment, the undine's form breaks apart into a cloud of vapor and moves through the gap to investigate.


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 7 | 93/93 HP | AC 28 T 14 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +14 (+15 vs. traps)

Rudrik descends back to the ground with a barely-audible *tink* as his adamantine sabatons touch the floor.

"I bet it's some kind of puzzle-dungeon. I hear the Runelords were fond of those kinds of mind games," he says with a toothy grin at their associate.


Flowing through the gap, Nime can see that the wedge-shaped room can rotate into one of four different positions along a circle. The next position clockwise has numerous holes in the ceiling through which the undine spots several spears. The third position has a rune on the wall that glows with orange light. The final position contains an open pit in the floor that leads to another chamber below.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10
Rudrik Halvar wrote:
"I bet it's some kind of puzzle-dungeon. I hear the Runelords were fond of those kinds of mind games," he says with a toothy grin at their associate.

Nime's face scrunches up in distaste. "I hope not," she says. "I can never figure puzzles out. Petre, one of the fishermen back in Rodric's Cove had this one with a piece of rope with knots on both ends and you were supposed to figure out how to remove it from this piece of wood that the knots were too big to slip through." She shrugs. "I just cut the rope, but I guess that wasn't the answer because he was quite angry with me for a while."

~~~~~

After surveying the rotating room, Nime returns to the others and reforms. "It looks like this room is a exercise in tortures. Everyone with me, please."

Once everyone gathers around her, Nime transforms everyone into a large cloud of mist and leads them under the floor and down the pit to the room below.


You slip through the grooves and float down through the pit, descending twenty feet to the floor. The walls of this bare chamber are decorated with defaced images of men and women wearing blindfolds in various poses of meditation. In many cases, the faces have been smashed to rubble, while in others, dark stains of old blood and violence mar the carvings. Five stone pillars support the ceiling twenty feet above. A few short steps lead up to a walkway surrounding the room, with double doors set into opposite walls. A single hole opens in the southern portion of the ceiling’s roof.

Two undead creatures stand guard here, one in front of either set of double doors. These howling corpses swoop through the air with hideously elongated legs and bows made of bone. As you resolidify, the creatures nock their bows, arrows of bone magically appearing!

Initiative:
Calendula: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (7) - 1 = 6
Nime: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Rudrik: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Shenuska: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Theodric: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Undead: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

The creatures fly closer and unleash bloodcurdling howls!

Everybody must succeed at two DC 19 Will saves or be paralyzed for 1 round. A success on these saves means you are still shaken for 1 round. This is a fear effect. Everybody may act! The creatures are flying within 30 feet of you, on opposite sides of the room. Map update tomorrow.


Female Undine Oracle (wind) 10 | HP 53/53 | AC 16 T 10 FF 10/16 | Fort +4 Ref +3 (-2 traps/hazards) Will +9 | Initiative -1 | Perc +2, darkvision 60' |Resist cold 5, elec 10 | Spells 1st: 9/9, 2nd: 8/8, 3rd: 8/8/, 4th 5/7, 5th 4/5 | Invis 10/10, Fly 10/10, Gas 0/10

Geez, does everything from here on out fly? Nime definitely needs to get to work on those boots. ;)

Will Save DC 19: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Will Save DC 19: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19

"You will not use the wind against us!" Nime announces in an entirely peeved voice. Things flying that have no business flying are really starting to tick her off.

She throws her hands wide and the air in the room stirs and then quickly forms a violent blast pushing towards the group, but leaving them unscathed.

control winds

Wind Direction Choice: An updraft blows from the outer edges in toward the center in equal strength from all directions, veering upward before impinging on the eye in the center.

Wind Strength: Severe - 31-50mph, -4 ranged weapon penalty, -4 on some skill checks (including Fly).


Male Half-Orc Unchained Rogue 3/Fighter 7 | 93/93 HP | AC 28 T 14 FF 22 | DR 3/- | Fort +8 Ref +9 Will +6 (+10 vs. fear) | Initiative +4 | Perception +14 (+15 vs. traps)

Will save vs. fear: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
Will save vs. fear: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Ayep.


Female Psychic 10 HP: 72/72 | AC: 21 (25) (17 Tch, 20 (24) Fl) | CMB: 4, CMD: 20 | F: +6, R: +4, W: +12 | Init: +3 | Perc +23, SM +18, Bluff/Dip +12, Splc/KnA + 18, Knw D/P/R + 12, Knw Nat +11 , Knw His +13, Others +11 | Speed 30ft | 1: 8/8, 2: 6/7, 3: 5/7, 4: 6/6, 5: 3/4, DT 1/1, TB 1/1 | PPool 9/9, Push: 5/5, Purge: 5d8 | Active conditions: Extended Mage Armour

Will: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 12 + 4 = 28
Will: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 12 + 4 = 29

Shenuska doesn't even blink at the creatures. "This is becoming tiresome." She agrees, snapping her fingers to haste her companions.

2,951 to 2,994 of 2,994 << first < prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Return of the Runelords Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.