Wrath of the Righteous Part 2: Sword of Valor

Game Master Atorhal

SECTION ONE: Crusader's March
Now invested with righteous mythic power, Our Heroes are tasked with their first mission. Lead an army to recapture the citadel city of Drezen, lost in the First Crusade, and the crusaders’ Relic of power!

Current Strategic Map: STRATEGIC OVERVIEW

Current Tactical Map:


101 to 150 of 507 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Next morning the Knights of Kenabres march to war!
Passing the larger Host of Queen Galfrey, they marched proudly; pennons flying, walking their mounts in perfect order, singing a stirring hymn to war. As they passed the Queen, each unit saluted her and she saluted back.
Humans for the most part, of every color and every land in Avistan; but there was a strong contingent of Dwarf Paladins as well, riding ponies or even armored sows with their tusks capped with sharpened steel. There were even a small contingent of elven paladins from Kyonin, bearing longbows as well as lances; able to put a smite on some unfortunate demon from up to a third of a mile away.

Leaving the city by the main gates, the army turned north.
Avoiding a long loop of the Stellan river, the army cut up the side of the escarpment, across the upland and down into the valley again as the sun started to set. Much time was saved as Lord Horgus left all wagons behind, using beasts of burden to carry all cargo.

Valas’s Gift lies northeast of Kenabres, a small town surrounded by surprisingly fertile lands. Once one of Kenabres’s primary sources of food and grain, Valas’s Gift has been destroyed by demons, and its citizens have scattered into the surrounding hinterlands.
When you arrive, Anevia rode up and shook her head as she made her report. The village is a smoking ruin.

OVERLAND ROUTE


Male Dwarf Inquisitor 06 Guardian 01 HP 71/71 | AC 21 (23) T 12 FF 20 (22) | CMB +9 CMD 12 | F+10 R+5 W+10 | Init +4 | Perc +12

"Dire news. Unfortunately we don't have time to search for survivors although we should make every effort to help those we find. What we can do now is to avenge their fallen!" says Karthak then he mumbles to himself:"That axe... I fear that idiotic Belnir has got his paws on something not meant for him and now risks bringing a sacred relic of Torag to the Enemy!"


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

post coming tonight


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

Jokum (if at all possible) spends the march north working with Anevia and her scouts, ranging far out ahead and to the sides of the main column to investigate the surrounding area. When he gets back to the column around the same time as their scoutmaster, he scowls at the description of the destruction.

"It is not merely vengeance, Karthak," he growls, "But I think you are right. What I worry about more is whether there is a way to get this damned clanking, armored, sluggish army through the town without being spotted by any lingering demons." He turns back to Anevia. "Let us go and look for other ways through the fields--I do not want us to draw more attention than necessary. If there is no choice but to go through the town, I would have us know if there are demons lurking there." Assuming no one raises any objections, he wheels his horse and trots ahead with the scouts.

Survival to look for other trails?: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

Arthas sits tall astride his coal colored destrier. As he ruminates on Anevia's report.

"Yes, one more to add to the Litany of Furious Reprisals."

The paladin had accepted the mantle of command with humility, but the responsibility rested heavily upon him. Karthak had seen the light in his room burning long into the night, Danua had been summoned to instruct him in the enemies ways and tactics, and Voren had gently been inquiring into his wellbeing.

After a few more moments of quiet the young battle brother turned Knight General finally spoke.

"You are right on several points Sir Breakbones." Arthas allowed a bit of a smile to touch his lips at the ranger's unease at the title.

"Check for alternate roots, but also try to decearn if they simply moved on, fled at our arrival or are mearly baiting us to move forward recklessly. No needless engagements. I need my scout regiment intact once we reach the edge of the Wound."

Arthas chuckles once.

"Listen to how I sound. Well as long as I am giving you orders I have one more."

"I have little time these days to make new friends, so I order you both to return safe and in some semblance of health."


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

After Jokum rides off.

"Karthak, I want you to know I requested Irabeth be assigned to me as my Chief of Staff. I have no experience leading armies, I need to remain strong and confident in the eyes of those entrusted to me, but I also need your counsel and the counsel of my friends to help guide us. I figured we might have to detach ourselves from the army at some point and I wanted a competent second we trust."

Arthas looks back the way they had come hoping to spot something.

"Hopefully the Queen saw fit to grant my request. I had to send a messenger since both the Queen and I were seeing to other duties."

The humans earnest eyes seek the dwarf's.

"What do you think of that choice? And please, always speak to me as an equal in times like these when we are free of pomp and circumstance."

After Karthak gives his answer.

"What can you tell me of the Dwarven Paladins and the gods they follow? I don't wish to offend anyone with ignorant questions."

The human's eyes focus on the colorful pennants flying from elven lances.

"The attachment of the contingent from Kyonin really drove home the utmost importance of this endeavor. The fate of even the most distant lands and people are at stake. If we---if I fail . . . "


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

During the trip, Voren can be seen conversing with Aravashnial. Though, at times, he talks to everyone he can.

Voren is dreading the news of the village. When the others voice their opinions, Voren looks at them. "I think we should at least try to look for survivors. If there's anyone who needs our help, we should try and aid them." When Arthas voices his nervousness to lead, Voren frowns. "Don't. If you doubt yourself, that can affect your abilities. You are a sword of Ragathiel. You will be fine. I have faith in you."


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

Jokum just nods wordlessly at Arthas before wheeling his horse around to follow Anevia.


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

"You are right Voren, faith will get us through many things. To doubt myself is to weaken that faith and the faith of others in me."

Arthas turns his attention to the smoking ruin.

"If there are still faithful amongst the ruins I would also have them saved, but we must use caution. Jokum and the scouts are testing the waters for us. If you would like to see if our quartermaster has a cart he can spare go ahead and organize a group of healers and check on needed clothing, water and supplies you will need."

"I can't promise you we can take them all with us, but we will do what we can for any survivors."

"I will send word for C company with an appropriate number of Paladins to stand ready to enter the outskirts of the town."

"Demons tend to focus on sentients, maybe they left us something we can still use."


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren nods. "Sounds like a plan. Should one of us accompany the paladins that enter the ruins?"


Jokum wrote:
Jokum (if at all possible) spends the march north working with Anevia and her scouts.

Jokum is surprised to get a close look at the scouts as they report to Anevia. It is hard to tell with them muffled up and wrapped in linen, but they are mostly all Mongrelmen Rangers, sent by Chief Sull of Neatholm Below in honor of your agreement.

Jokum:
From your examination of the traces, it seems to you that the town was overrun by the demonic horde the same day as Kenabres was about a week ago. You think a couple dozen people fled the town, scattering into the hinterlands and have not returned. It does not look like the demons lingered. The most recent tracks are five days old.

Jokum wrote:
"Let us go and look for other ways through the fields--I do not want us to draw more attention than necessary."

You see no problem skirting the town if needed, with only an hour or so delay.


Anevia grinned. "It's no problem finding a way around, but there is no real stealth possible with this army." She said, gesturing towards your shining host. Even in the gloomy overcast that perpetually shrouds the Worldwound, it looks like more than a few of the Crusaders are lit as if by a spotlight.


The scouts pressed into town, followed by Company C.
They reported back that the town was deserted. It looked like half the town populace were killed immediately during the assault, the rest fled or taken.

A messenger rode up at sunset with a message for Arthas.

Arthas:

"General Arthas;
"Your request is granted of course. But you do know you are in command there now, and need no permissions from me? Especially since we will be out of contact when you cross the river until you are successful. Your command will be entirely independent.
"May the Grace of the Gods and the Luck of the Devils go with you.
"Yours, Galfrey."


"Sir Irabeth reporting for duty!" Irabeth said, saluting sharply at attention.


"Damn, damn, damn..." Horgus swore under his breath, looking through his papers.
"General Arthas sir!" Horgus called out to Arthas, looking frazzled as he bumped Irabeth aside. "Can we detail troops to look for clean food and water? I was counting on my factor here to have supplies for us! It will take a day or two to do a complete job of it.
"Look, we have supply with us for the week it will take for us to travel to Drezen, plus four and a half days of fighting. Without these supplies we'll fall short!"
He argued.


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

Jokum smiles as he and the scouts move through the terrain. He liked the mongrelmen he met belowground, and he feels at home among this group. The unnatural and unloved should stick together. Returning with Anevia, nods his assent to her evaluation. "We may not be able to sneak anywhere, but we can go around--on the other hand, we didn't find any traces of the demons. Looks like they attacked on the same day Kenabres fell, and the last tracks are about five days old. We should be alright to just move through the town."

When Gwerm charges up with his crisis, Jokum shrugs. "The scouts and I can certainly pick through the ruins as we go, and it would make sense to send a small group of soldiers to find anything else that's edible," he says to Arthas. "Every warrior needs to eat."


Male Dwarf Inquisitor 06 Guardian 01 HP 71/71 | AC 21 (23) T 12 FF 20 (22) | CMB +9 CMD 12 | F+10 R+5 W+10 | Init +4 | Perc +12

Karthak stays with the troops and keeps his eyes open for anything unusual, in and out of camp. As an inquisitor knowing there were betrayers in Kenabres he tries to make sure no one is working for the enemy...

Perception check, Surge: 1d20 + 12 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 12 + (6) = 21


Perception +9 Stealth +10 | Ini +4 | Darkvision 60ft AC 25, touch 20, flat-footed 15 | hp 53/64 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +6 Defensive Abilities canny defense; Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5

Sorry for the wait guys, been a real cruddy week. But still here.

Everything was happening quickly, almost too quickly for Danua. She was of course focused solely on readying herself for this attack on Drezen and being of use to her companion's and Mendev. The shock of being granted minor nobility hadn't wore off yet and though she was happy, she was contemplating what she would do with it.

Once the orders started coming down that they were moving out she was thankful and nervous to be on the move again. Though Whisper and being with her new allies helped immensely in shaking off the fear. Meeting so many new people so quickly would mean she would have to branch off and get to understand them as well, she hoped though they wouldn't hate her for what she was.

"I can join the scouts as well Arthas, or perform whatever duty suits the cause. As always my Bow is yours."

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren listens to Horgus's concerns and the others. He is concerned about the village, possible survivors, and the dwindling food and resources. He steps forward. "I could aid the scouts. I may not be the stealthiest. But, I could try to locate and try to identify some possible plants and food found in the wild that's safe for our troops. I could also aid in finding survivors and resources." He takes a look around and racks his brain on information about where they are.

Perception (surge): 1d20 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (11) + 1 + (4) = 16
Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Knowledge (planes)(?): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22


The question before the Commander is "Does the whole army take a day to search for supplies, or press on? If you stop to search, do you use the whole army, only part of the army, how much?"


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

While it would probably slow them down personally...Jokum, Anevia, possibly Danua, and the scouts could probably at least get some of the scouting done ahead of time and identify areas that the supply wagons should stop and refill. As long as we have some advance scouts and flankers, we may be ok without the FULL complement of scouts.


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

"Arriving to battle without supplies sounds like pre-planning for failure."

"We have no better scavengers than the mongrelmen. We can keep the main column moving, but send C Company to provide force security. I will divide our scouting force for the time being. I need Anevia out front keeping an eye on what lies ahead. Jokum, you Duana and Voren can lead the other half with scavenging efforts in the town."

"Horgus, send what carts you can, Voren will take two healers along with him in the event you locate survivors."

"Does any one have any questions or suggestions?"


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

"A solid plan." Jokum nods, and heads out to lead a section of the troops.

Just let me know what kind of check to make!


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren nods. "Very well. I'll get right on it." He goes out to find two healers to accompany him.


Perception +9 Stealth +10 | Ini +4 | Darkvision 60ft AC 25, touch 20, flat-footed 15 | hp 53/64 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +6 Defensive Abilities canny defense; Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5

Danua nods to Arthas. "it will be as you command Arthas, I will do my best." Whisper vibrated in her hands. "A journey is no fun on an empty stomach. Lets get going, move your feet Danua." Danua smirks at the weapons pushy words.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

If needed
Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Arcana 1 pt Swa - +1 and Seeking/Bane depending
Readied action to Snipe: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 1 = 30
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 1 = 4
Bane damage (if applicable): 2 + 2d6 ⇒ 2 + (1, 4) = 7

Add +2 and +2d6 to damage depending on what we face.
Enemies using cover she will use seeking, enemies in the open then she will use bane.

Danua moves with grace, truly at one with her environment and showing why she was once prized for her combat ability among the cultists. At least until she lost her way in the confusion between duty and rage. Her silver scales glint lightly before she draped her clothes across them in an attempt to hide her presence from seeking eyes.


Male Dwarf Inquisitor 06 Guardian 01 HP 71/71 | AC 21 (23) T 12 FF 20 (22) | CMB +9 CMD 12 | F+10 R+5 W+10 | Init +4 | Perc +12

Did Karthak notice anything?


Arthas wrote:
"Does any one have any questions or suggestions?"

Sir Sosiel just nodded with perfect equanimity and detailed a couple of healers to go with Voren.

Nurah nodded and said, ”I’ll pass the word!”
Sir Mathis nodded excitedly. ”A brilliant plan milord!” He enthused.
Lord Horgus frowned and said; ”But with the whole army we could cut the time…” he said doubtfully.
Sir Freidrich bowed and said; ”It shall be as you command, my General.” He said forthrightly.
Sir Aron Kir looked astonished. ”Are you brain dead? That’ll divide the army and leave us half blind! You should…” He started hotly.
Sir Arles arched an eyebrow and flinched.
Aravashnial nodded. ”Of course milord.” He said simply.
Anevia looked worried. ”You know, that’s going to leave some gaps…” She started.
Sir Irabeth cut everyone off by slamming her hand down on the field table, making everyone jump.
”You all heard the General’s orders! Now get out there and MAKE IT HAPPEN!
“DIS----MISSED!”
She barked. They all snapped to attention and filed out.


After they filed out, Irabeth turned to Arthas.
"Ah, sorry about that. I had to get them moving or we could be here all week while the veterans dissect everything that could go wrong.
"Also, you look ridiculously young. Getting them used to obeying when you speak is important.
"And lastly, ask for questions or suggestions BEFORE you issue the order."
She said quietly.


Horgus' team uncovers a bare 1d3 ⇒ 2 units of supplies in the next day, and finds no survivors either.

Ahead, the reduced scouts encounter no enemies or survivors as the main force headed north out of the town the next day.

The mongrelmen help Danua conceal her shiny scales by creating a kind of burlap hooded cloak, fitted with strips of muted colored cloth and with local vegetation.

Karthak:

Your quiet check for traitors yields nothing in the way of suspicious activities.


ROUTE MAP STAGE 2

During the second day out of Vala's Gift, the army travels along the river flood plain, the escarpment rising on the right to about 100 feet.
The scavenger party catches up with the main body without incident.

Late in the day, the scouts reach Vilareth Ford, the army still behind a few miles. You see the small fort across the shallow ford in the river, the troops also encamped on the riverbanks as well.

Danua or Perception DC16:

Something is wrong. The Flag of the crusades does not fly over the fort.

Perception DC22:

The spears outside the fort... They have human heads stuck on them!
And the troopers; when you look closer or use a spyglass, you see they are Tieflings wearing crusader uniforms!
The fort has been taken!


Male Dwarf Inquisitor 06 Guardian 01 HP 71/71 | AC 21 (23) T 12 FF 20 (22) | CMB +9 CMD 12 | F+10 R+5 W+10 | Init +4 | Perc +12

Perception check: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

Karthak acute senses allow him to notice what's going on.

"Stop! the fort has fallen and the enemy has slaughtered the garrison! It's our duty to bring justice to the vile scum who did this!"

The dwarf warns Arthas and the others so the whole army will be ready for a fight!


Perception +9 Stealth +10 | Ini +4 | Darkvision 60ft AC 25, touch 20, flat-footed 15 | hp 53/64 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +6 Defensive Abilities canny defense; Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5

Danua readied Whisper and prepared for the fight ahead, the bow crackled with barely contained arcane energy. "That's a shame, this land is rife with those eeking out day and those who feed on the chaos. Shall we give them some chaos to feed on wielder?"

Danua nodded as she readied her gear. "A few shafts in the chest will be a good start for the sentries."


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Voren is completely oblivious to what has happened, not being able to spot the tieflings on the wall. However, when Karthak calls them out, Voren stops and begins to wring his hands. He then thinks of an idea. "Wait a minute! Can you see the enemy? Are there demons or tieflings? Maybe I can try and sneak in as one of them! I can try to put as many of them to sleep as I can."


Male Dwarf Inquisitor 06 Guardian 01 HP 71/71 | AC 21 (23) T 12 FF 20 (22) | CMB +9 CMD 12 | F+10 R+5 W+10 | Init +4 | Perc +12

"Tieflings. Camouflaging as our own while wearing the equipment they no doubt took from the slain. They shall pay with their blood for this treachery!" Karthak answers Voren's question.


Perception +9 Stealth +10 | Ini +4 | Darkvision 60ft AC 25, touch 20, flat-footed 15 | hp 53/64 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +6 Defensive Abilities canny defense; Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Danua moves up alongside Voren, wrapping her tail around his for a moment as she tugs to get his attention. Shaking her head as she speaks. "I don't doubt your courage, but I think its best we wait until the main column arrives and we take the fight to them enmasse." She points to the heads on spikes then. "In my time with them they used passwords, changing them often, if you were unable to answer upon being spotted then you'd be added to their grisly collection. That isn't a fate I wish for you." She withdraws her tail then, keeping her bow at the ready but looking to Karthak. "I will go and report this back to Artahs and the rest, that way the column is ready for battle when it arrives."

she waits momentarily for anything else to be relayed before heading off to report the ill news to Arthas.


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren sniffs at Karthak's answer, glaring at the fort and the sinister tieflings patrolling the walls. "It's tieflings like them that give our race a bad name."

Voren feels his tail being tugged. He turns to see Danua tugging on it with her tail. When she says her piece, Voren thinks for a moment. Realizing that she's right, he sighs. "You're right. I thought that I could disguise myself as a wandering sympathizer, get in, and begin cursing and putting them to sleep, allowing the army to get in easier. But, if there is such a complex password system, then that plan wouldn't work. It would be easier to try and attack the fort. Maybe try and get some sort of flanking so that we could infiltrate it. Hmm..."


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

Jokum scowls, hopping off his horse and crouching to better eye the fort itself. "Across a river. Damn. Is there anywhere else to ford the river, I wonder? We'll be in a bad spot if we try to get across with the whole army and supply train exposed." He glances at Karthak and Danua. "How many tieflings do you make out? Is it few enough that we could clear up the shoreline before the main force arrives? Or does anyone know if there are other fords to the south? It would be much better to approach from the land."

Perception to count visible foes: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27

I don't have Knowledge (Geography) for the second question...


Male Dwarf Inquisitor 06 Guardian 01 HP 71/71 | AC 21 (23) T 12 FF 20 (22) | CMB +9 CMD 12 | F+10 R+5 W+10 | Init +4 | Perc +12

Karthak counts as many tieflings a 30 on a perception roll allows :P

Karhak grunts:"Don't forget they expect to surprise us. Instead we'll be the ones doing the surprising..."


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

Arthas simply nods at the news that the fort is held by the enemy. He summons his commanders and confidants to him.

"If we have the element of surprise I want none of the enemy to escape."

"We cannot afford a lengthy siege, nor do I wish to sustain heavy casualties before our primary objective. Unfortunately we cannot suffer leaving this threat behind us to sever our supply lines."

"I want tactical options ladies and gentlemen, meanwhile prepare my troops for battle."

"It is time for vengeance, wether we burn them out or throw them from the walls the enemy shall not be allowed to occupy our halls or further defame our honored dead."


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

"I have issued my directives. Make it so."


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren nods and thinks for a moment. "Maybe we make ourselves known with the bulk of our army camped out of range. Then, while their focus is on the bulk, we sneak in with a small strike force and attack the inside, opening the fort to the rest of our army. Or maybe we can launch a series of guerrilla strikes."


The scouts return and deliver their reports.

They say there is no sign of enemy scouts or sentries on the south side of the river
On the north side they count three companies of tiefling soldiers encamped, each camp counting 100-200 infantry.
They do not see inside the fort, but estimate another company, the enemy commander and probable elite bodyguards.
The tieflings seem to be equipped with a mix of light and medium armor, shortspears and shields.

The river is impassable for days upriver (deep pool) and down (rapids), except for where the ford allows passage here where the road crosses from the south bank to the north and continues on NorthEast.
The ford itself is a rocky lip over which the pool spills in a steep rapids. The water is about thigh deep on a man or knee deep on a horse.

Voren or Perception DC20:

You notice that the companies keep to themselves as much as possible; any contact between them seems to be personally violent.

Perception DC25 or Knowledge:Engineering DC20:

You see some people go in and out of the fortress without stopping. There is a decent chance the gate was broken when it was taken and not yet repaired.

Karthak or Knowledge:Religion DC20:

You notice beyond the fortress, inset into the side of the valley the markings of a dwarven tomb. Inset stairway, a menhir and a sealed opening about the size a dwarf might make.

VILARETH FORD OVERVIEW SKETCH
Each square is about ten yards.


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren sees something interesting. He says to the others. "Guys. I've noticed something. The companies are keeping to themselves. Any contact between them seems to grow very violent and very personal. We could use that to our advantage."


Male Dwarf Inquisitor 06 Guardian 01 HP 71/71 | AC 21 (23) T 12 FF 20 (22) | CMB +9 CMD 12 | F+10 R+5 W+10 | Init +4 | Perc +12

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

"Good to know. How do you suggest we do that though?" asks Karthak, sounding puzzled and distracted by something else.

"I think once this' over I'll need to visit those buildings down there... they give me a distict dwarven feeling..." he whispers.


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

I'm guessing I can use my previous examining-the-fort Preception?

"Hrrrrrm," Jokum growls. "Perhaps a night raid or something like that--a light strike force that can sow confusion and make each company think one of the others has turned on them?" Peering at the fort, he adds, "It looks like people come and go quickly from within the walls--the gate may yet be out. Once the confusion is sown, Arthas could lead a charge over the ford to retake the fort, punching through the one company in the way to reach the cover of the walls?"


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren nods. "That's a plan. Using coordinated strikes and possibly magic to sow animosity. Great thinking, Jokum!" When Karthak brings up the buildings, Voren's brow furrows and he looks at his friend in interest. "Really? Interesting. Do you get the feeling that they may have something that we can use?"


Perception +9 Stealth +10 | Ini +4 | Darkvision 60ft AC 25, touch 20, flat-footed 15 | hp 53/64 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +6 Defensive Abilities canny defense; Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5

"I agree, I can take up a position on a high ridge and pepper the lines with my arrows. Draw some away from their posts. Though I will be amused if they can catch me..." She smiles as she nods in agreement with Jokum's suggestion.


Pld7/Grd1 LG, Init +3; HP 108/108 AC 23, t 13, ff 21, Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +8 +2 on saves against insanity or confusion.hard to kill; Immune disease, fear, Senses +6, SM +8 Aura courage (10 ft.)

Arthas speaks once his companions have had a chance to share some of their ideas.

"We are superior in strength and numbers, but they have the advantage of being in a defensive posture. I think the biggest danger we face is getting our force across the river. Our clerics might ask for spells to lower the flow, but crossing is still our most vulnerable point."

"Danua, would you be known to those here at the fort? If not I think we should use you, maybe Voren and a few others to start some chaos between the camps."

"I am interested in the dwarven structure. Do you think it is the entrance to bolt hole to the fort or something else Karthak?"

"And I agree with you jokum. With those outside the wall battling one another and an unsecured gate at their backs, a swift strike to overwhelm them and take the gate could be executed."

"On another note, let us be wary of traitors that might still be hidden among us, or try to infiltrate our own ranks. Let us be vigilant of the enemy and ourselves."


Male Aasimar Ranger (Shapeshifter) 6/Champion 1;
Stats:
HP 21/63 | AC/T/FF: 18/13/15 | CMD 23 | F +7, R +8, W +3 (+2 vs. evil) | Init +3, Per +10 | Shifter's Blessing Left: 3/7 | MP: 3/5

Jokum chuckles darkly. "I have spent more time being vigilant against myself than most of our soldiers have been alive, Arthas. Let us strike quickly, if we are to strike at all!"


Male Tiefling Hedge Witch 6/Archmage 1 | AC 15/12/13 | hp: 40/51 | F +5, R +6, W +8 (+2 vs death/insanity/confusion) | CMD 15 (17 with m.o.v) | Init +6 | Perc +1 | darkvision 60ft | SM +1 | receiving healing: +2 hit points/die rolled | giving healing: +1 point

Voren nods. "Very well. If I'm going to sneak in with Danua, then I'll try to do my best to help. I just hope we can succeed in doing so. I'm really not the best liar."

101 to 150 of 507 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM-Camris' WRATH of the RIGHTEOUS Part 2, SWORD OF VALOR (table 2) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.